Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

June Lockhart

I was just thinking about the career of June Lockhart. She started out strong, having a small but important role in a Judy Garland musical and then winning a Tony Award for her Broadway deubt. Then she ended up playing boring mothers on tv: Lassie, campy Lost In Space, and then filling in on Petticoat Junction when Bea Benaderat croaked.

On her imdb page, she is described as "Played women who were more than just a female" whatever that means.

She was just a boring actress, wasn't she?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12January 30, 2019 10:34 PM

In between "Lassie" and "Lost in Space," she had a change-of-pace role in an hour-long Alfred Hitchcock episode in 1965 as a mail-order-bride who becomes convinced that her husband is planning to kill her.

by Anonymousreply 1January 30, 2019 8:51 PM

There was also the infamous Virginia Graham talk show appearance where June defended gays and pretty much raked VG over the coals.

by Anonymousreply 2January 30, 2019 8:54 PM

For someone best-remembered for playing mothers, she never seemed especially warm. The first mom on "Lassie," Jan Clayton (the original Julie Jordan in "Carousel" on Broadway) was a much warmer actress.

by Anonymousreply 3January 30, 2019 8:54 PM

Don't forget that she came from fairly well to do parents in the acting field & had been in films for over a half dozen years before she had that role in the Judy Garland starring MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS.

June played one of the Cratchit children in the 1938 version of A CHRISTMAS CAROL, which had her parents in it as well they played the Cratchits. She was also one of the children of the couple that Bette Davis is hired to govern in ALL THIS, AND HEAVEN TOO; the younger sister of Gary Cooper in SERGEANT YORK.

Very tough field with the odds stacked against you. Considering that, she did alright. June will turn 94 this year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4January 30, 2019 9:07 PM

And that scandalous relationship with a much younger Jesus Christ Superstar.

by Anonymousreply 5January 30, 2019 9:18 PM

June seemed to go out of her way to prove herself a hip chick as she got older. The details escape me, but I remember reading in showbiz columns many years ago how she became a "den mother," or something, to the Los Angeles company of "Hair." Perhaps she later performed a similar service for the company of "Jesus Christ Superstar." And the rest is history.

by Anonymousreply 6January 30, 2019 9:51 PM

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 7January 30, 2019 9:55 PM

Bill Mumy who I had a crush on when he and I were boys has an interview on you tube and speaks very highly of her. Not sure when it was filmed but she is heavily into fitness and yoga. Was shocked when I saw St Louis for the first time. What was Mrs. Robinson doing in that?! Recently saw White Cliffs of Dover with Irene Dunne. One of those classy patriotic MGM films from '44 where she plays the adult Liz Taylor which is very odd knowing she is alive and Liz dead a while ago.

by Anonymousreply 8January 30, 2019 10:05 PM

She played a Lady MD, just as pretty as can be at the Junction!

by Anonymousreply 9January 30, 2019 10:10 PM

June hasn't been getting out as much lately the past year or two. I think she has the same publicist Carol Channing had and lots of other golden age ladies--he would post contemporary photos or videos on social media of them out and about but no June pics recently. Still she was working into her 90s!

by Anonymousreply 10January 30, 2019 10:14 PM

I loved June Lockhart. My real mom was pretty good, but when I was growing up I would sometimes pretend June was my real mother.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11January 30, 2019 10:26 PM

Mumy confesses he went all the way with Angela which I find disturbing. I mean his own sister? And she was in The Sound of Music too!

Sordid goings on in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 12January 30, 2019 10:34 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!