Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"Deadly Class" on SyFy

Based on a comic book (but no super-power), the story of a homeless kid sworn into a school for assassins... sorta the opposite of Harry Potter.

The lead is cute, and has a shower scene in the first episode. Guest star cameo from Henry Rollins. Set in the late 80s, the soundtrack is awesome.

Anyone watching?

by Anonymousreply 121August 14, 2019 4:09 AM

I've set my dvr to record it, but I haven't watched it yet. When I saw a promo for it, it seemed like it was intended for an Asian audience, but I figured I would give it a try.

by Anonymousreply 1January 24, 2019 2:32 AM

I don't really see that, R1. It's more for comic book nerds into 80s music with fantasies about revenge on the people how bullied them in high school.

So, you know, right up my alley.

by Anonymousreply 2January 24, 2019 2:36 AM

The guy in the mohawk is pretty damn cute. I hope we see more of him.

by Anonymousreply 3January 24, 2019 2:56 AM

Wow. Mowhawk guy was the lead character in "The Way Way Back" (a great coming of age art-house movie if you've never seen it).

by Anonymousreply 4January 24, 2019 3:16 AM

Wonder if this show will have any gay character. Apparently the comic only had one prominent gay character.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5January 27, 2019 4:28 AM

No sign of him yet.

by Anonymousreply 6January 27, 2019 5:29 AM

Is Mohawk guy gay? He seems like he is.

by Anonymousreply 7January 27, 2019 5:48 AM

Datalounge will mock me, but I liked Assassination Classroom better b/c Korosensei was wise and talented.

by Anonymousreply 8January 27, 2019 5:50 AM

I doubt the character is R7 but the actor pings

by Anonymousreply 9January 27, 2019 5:53 AM

Episode 3 tonight!!

by Anonymousreply 10January 30, 2019 1:29 PM

Episode 3 not as great as episode 2 was, but still loving this show.

by Anonymousreply 11January 31, 2019 2:12 PM

Russian dude looks a LOT better naked than he does wearing clothes.

by Anonymousreply 12February 1, 2019 2:15 PM

Has Mohawk guy at least been shirtless?

by Anonymousreply 13February 1, 2019 2:18 PM

Not in this. But he was in "The Way Way Back", where he was the lead character that worked at a water park over the summer. He was much younger then, though, so … under-age for sure. Meh.

by Anonymousreply 14February 1, 2019 2:22 PM

The mohawk guy has those weird peg-teeth that I find to be a real turn off. All teeth like the same size little squares with big gaps between each tooth. What IS that, anyway?

by Anonymousreply 15February 2, 2019 4:51 AM

Mohawk guy was never shirtless in The Way, Way Back, but he was cute and excellent nonetheless. Great movie.

by Anonymousreply 16February 2, 2019 6:09 AM

This is a show geared more towards younger people and it has a very dark atmosphere about it. I only watched episode 3, and the storylines are all over the place. A bunch of kids bullying and pulling pranks on each other and doing things that could normally get you thrown in prison, definitely not reality based.

r5 r6 I just checked the IMDB page and there is no Kendal character listed in the show. I guess there won't be a gay character this season. I am sensing some sexual chemistry between the two female characters Maria and Saya in Episode 3 though.

(Spoiler) A lesbian affair wasn't mentioned in their character excerpts (accessed in r5 post) for the comic book. The show might add that facet to their relationship, but it's probably just fan service, because Maria has a boyfriend and it seems Saya will end up with Marcus.

I have to admit the primary reasons I continued to watch the show was because of the soundtrack and hopes of a gay character being revealed.

by Anonymousreply 17February 2, 2019 10:13 AM

I was hoping Mohawk guy would be gay but he's not. He's straight. The two female characters were straight in the comics. If they are turned bi without there being a gay Male character I will stop watching.

by Anonymousreply 18February 2, 2019 10:29 AM

It seems that no one noticed that the Henry Rollins character was gay - he told Marcus that he lost lots of friends and partners to AIDS.

In the comic books Kendal and Shabnam are gay (doesn't look like Shabnam is gay on the show, though).

by Anonymousreply 19February 2, 2019 11:11 AM

There is some nice male eyecandy (the Russian is hot and dumb which makes him even hotter). The story itself is pretty dark and depressing.

by Anonymousreply 20February 2, 2019 11:11 AM

I thought in the pilot that the mohawk guy was said to be gay, but clearly I was wrong. Nice eye candy, for sure. I am surprised that a show about school violence, even comic book and over the top violence, was green lit.

by Anonymousreply 21February 2, 2019 11:31 AM

Yeah. I was surprised that this is on SyFy. I'd expect something like that on MTV's edgier cousin, YouTube Originals which has shows like Wayne.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22February 2, 2019 11:37 AM

The guy that plays the main character Marcus (Benjamin Wadsworth) looks like a young Shiloh Fernandez.

I watched episode 1 and 2 today. Marcus gets kissed on the lips by Lex at the first part of episode 2, but it's only joking around and there was no chemistry. Viktor is butt naked for half of the house party scenes in episode 2.

(Spoiler) r19 The teacher played by Henry Rollins was only listed for 3 episodes on IMDB. After watching the ending on episode 3, I don't think he is coming back.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23February 3, 2019 7:27 AM

I think Jürgen (Henry Rollins) will make at least one surprise visit. He liked Marcus enough to warn him about the finals (which apparently no Rat has survived in recent years).

by Anonymousreply 24February 3, 2019 7:33 AM

Doesn't anybody remember "La Femme Nikita"?

by Anonymousreply 25February 3, 2019 7:34 AM

r25 I preferred Point of No Return.

by Anonymousreply 26February 3, 2019 8:15 AM

Mohawk guy should be naked.

by Anonymousreply 27February 4, 2019 4:49 PM

I wish they spent more time on a modicum of plausibility. The premise is so fantastic and ungrounded that the gritty style seems misplaced. And they could have spent some money on sets. Needs more nudity.

by Anonymousreply 28February 4, 2019 4:56 PM

Isn't SYFY considered basic cable? I didn't know you could say "fuck" on basic cable.

by Anonymousreply 29February 4, 2019 5:41 PM

I believe after 9 or 10 PM swear words don't have to be censored, because by then the kids are supposed to be in bed.

by Anonymousreply 30February 4, 2019 5:44 PM

r19 Did you read the comics? How do you know Shabnam was gay in the comics? According to this below (SPOILERS) he wants to sleep with a girl named Kelly and blackmails the secretly gay Kendal. He knows Kendal has a lover (Stephen) and wants Kendal to kill him or he will tell everyone Kendal is gay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31February 6, 2019 6:01 AM

I watched the first episode and it doesn't make any sense. It doesn't help that the big Asian guy speaks too softly to be understood. I don't know why they brought the lead to the "school" and then want to kill him. This is another one of those series that is intentionally nonsensical to hook people into thinking that eventually they will be able to understand it.

by Anonymousreply 32February 6, 2019 6:53 AM

R32, I think the problem might be you. Get your brain and your hearing checked for starters. The problem isn't the show, you're just an idiot with a hearing problem.

by Anonymousreply 33February 6, 2019 2:35 PM

R31, and Kendal and Steven in the TV show?

by Anonymousreply 34February 6, 2019 2:36 PM

Nah I didn't read the comic books, R31, just googled deadly class gay character and these two came up 🙃

by Anonymousreply 35February 6, 2019 5:54 PM

Neither Kendal nor Stephen are in the cast for season one according to imdb.com

by Anonymousreply 36February 6, 2019 11:21 PM

The guy with the neck tattoo looks about 30. He is the only one that feels miscast so far.

by Anonymousreply 37February 7, 2019 1:39 AM

r37 I thought the actresses playing Maria and Brandy Lynn looked the oldest of the student cast. The actress playing Maria is 26 and the actress playing Brandy Lynn is 27. The guy playing Viktor looks older too.

The neck tattoo guy Chico (Michel Duval) is only 24. He turns 25 on Feb 10.

by Anonymousreply 38February 7, 2019 2:04 AM

He's 24 going on 35. He's a ROUGH 24.

by Anonymousreply 39February 7, 2019 2:07 AM

They just did "Breakfast Club"!

by Anonymousreply 40February 7, 2019 11:52 PM

There are a lot of hot as fuck guys on this show. Why isn’t it gayer?

by Anonymousreply 41February 9, 2019 4:58 AM

Well, the type of people who go to a murder school probably aren't all that tolerant of queers.

by Anonymousreply 42February 10, 2019 4:25 PM

Tonight's episode is blowing my mind. So fun, and awesome.

by Anonymousreply 43February 14, 2019 2:32 AM

Easily the best episode yet.

Who woulda thought that after doing "Breakfast Club", they'd do "Leaving Las Vegas".

I love this show.

by Anonymousreply 44February 14, 2019 3:41 AM

I'm just waiting for Mohawk guy to get naked, or at least shirtless!

by Anonymousreply 45February 14, 2019 4:12 AM

R45 SAME!

by Anonymousreply 46February 15, 2019 2:38 AM

That was a great episode last night. This show has grown on me fast.

by Anonymousreply 47February 15, 2019 4:25 AM

Marcos and Mohawk Guy have chemistry as a couple, they just need to put that forward on the show.

by Anonymousreply 48February 16, 2019 3:03 PM

They won't though. Of course.

Honestly, it'll be a miracle of this series gets a second season, but if it does (and I hope it does), I wonder if they'll bring the gay characters from the source material into the show.

by Anonymousreply 49February 16, 2019 5:18 PM

This show is the best thing (besides The Expanse) that SyFy has had in years. I can’t imagine they’d cancel something so good, even if the ratings were shit.

by Anonymousreply 50February 17, 2019 6:07 AM

I'm going to miss Chico and his tits. Though why wouldn't you show him shirtless more often if you know the actor has such nice pecs?

r48 A commenter under an AV Club's recap a couple of episodes ago mentioned that the actor playing Marcus freaked out in Instagram comments under a fan video of those two as a couple. Said Marcus only likes girls, PERIOD. And then added some remarks about bisexuals as well. Which made me think less of him and the show as a whole.

Still a fun show, though. Just maybe add a gay character or two and it'll be even more fun that way for even more people.

by Anonymousreply 51February 17, 2019 10:38 AM

[quote] A commenter under an AV Club's recap a couple of episodes ago mentioned that the actor playing Marcus freaked out in Instagram comments under a fan video of those two as a couple. Said Marcus only likes girls, PERIOD.

That sucks. Liked that guy and had to LOL as his stoned out of his mind performance in the latest episode and now had to read that. What a bummer.

by Anonymousreply 52February 17, 2019 5:42 PM

r51 Link?

by Anonymousreply 53February 17, 2019 5:43 PM

LOL AT his stoned out of his mind performance ...

by Anonymousreply 54February 17, 2019 5:43 PM

r53 PR moved fast and he deleted it.

by Anonymousreply 55February 17, 2019 5:51 PM

Great show. I thought it would be all angsty teen bullshit but it’s smart and fun. MUCH better than Runaways.

by Anonymousreply 56February 17, 2019 5:53 PM

The character Marcus might not be gay or bi, but maybe they want the characters to be shipped?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57February 17, 2019 6:52 PM

Liam James is so cute.

by Anonymousreply 58February 17, 2019 7:33 PM

I'm going to miss Chico too. IMDB has him in 10 episodes, so he will be featured in some capacity the next 5 episodes.

r51 Michel Duval is sexy as fuck, I don't care what r39 says. He does look older than his age though. Check him out in this video with his shirt unbuttoned halfway down. This might sound crazy, but he gives off a Paul Walker vibe to me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59February 17, 2019 9:34 PM

I wonder how they'll ever top last week's episode.

by Anonymousreply 60February 19, 2019 1:48 PM

Pubes and VPL!

by Anonymousreply 61February 21, 2019 5:20 AM

And ass.

by Anonymousreply 62February 21, 2019 5:44 AM

That lead guy has quite the body on him.

I wish mohawk guy would get his teeth fixed, so I could lust after him properly.

by Anonymousreply 63February 21, 2019 2:19 PM

When the hell does he find the time to tastefully trim his pubes in that wretched academy?

r59 Duval is so fucking hot but has poor hair genes, so I'm glad he decided to shave his thinning hair off completely.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64February 21, 2019 3:56 PM

"All our asses are riding on his^ boner."

by Anonymousreply 65February 22, 2019 1:57 AM

He's adorable

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66February 23, 2019 12:15 AM

I don’t know why an actor would make a comment like that, just let your character be open to whatever it’s better for the story. Yeah a lot of people are “shipping” but that’s what happens on teen shows and he didn’t mind the fan vids of him with the girls so...

But he’s dating Julia from the magicians and he’s hot af so I can’t hate him.

by Anonymousreply 67February 23, 2019 12:51 AM

Wait, he's dating Julia from the Magicians?! God, that's another one who's starved for attention. Bitch tweeting like she's fleeing from a civil war while cradling a mug.

[quote]Sick & tired of being sick &tired. Used, abused, battered, and bruised. I’m too exhausted for this life. Done with the war stories and scars. Ready for ease.

Anyway, I don't want to give these thirsties even more space in this thread that's supposed to be about the show.

by Anonymousreply 68February 23, 2019 1:01 AM

Tonight's episode should be called "Gay Panic At A Three Way"

by Anonymousreply 69March 7, 2019 2:55 AM

James on Instagram

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70March 7, 2019 8:17 PM

James desperately needs to get his teeth fixed

by Anonymousreply 71March 9, 2019 2:15 AM

Well, the penultimate episode has aired and this show still just isn't grabbing me for some reason. And to think I got so pumped for it a year ago. The voiceover in particular is killing me and needs to stop. However, I would destroy the scarred redneck psycho's hole. His bod is [italic]sweet.[/italic]

Does anyone know if this is a real (port) city or if it's just a computer composite?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72March 14, 2019 5:14 PM

I'm the opposite... this is one of my favorite shows on TV.

And they sure are taking every opportunity to get the lead actor naked, aren't they? Woof.

by Anonymousreply 73March 15, 2019 4:00 AM

R73 Agreed! Also pleased to see Benjamin Wadsworth any sort of naked anytime!

by Anonymousreply 74March 15, 2019 4:08 AM

I sure hope this show gets a second season.

by Anonymousreply 75March 17, 2019 12:29 AM

This show does have a surplus of hot guys on it, doesn't it?

by Anonymousreply 76March 17, 2019 10:42 AM

Too bad it's on SyFy so the nudity is of the blink and you'll miss it variety. I screenshotted a frame of Marcus changing in the latest episode and it was clear the editors digitally darkened the place where his balls should have been, in case someone did what I did and turned up the brightness and exposure to max. Lame.

by Anonymousreply 77March 17, 2019 10:52 AM

I was a detractor of the show at the beginning because the show was difficult for me to understand with what was happening or what was being said. I decided to give it another try and watched the 1st episode again. I'm up through episode four now. I still don't understand what the purpose of the show is, but I became hooked on Benjamin Wadsworth, because he's so pretty, except of course for that hairline problem. Now that I know he's dating Stella Maeve, that ruins everything, knowing that he let himself be seduced by a cougar robbing the cradle. I don't blame her for trapping him and holding him in her clutches - I would do the same. I just think a lot less of him for sleeping with a old hussy and acting like a student wanting to bed his teacher instead of dating people his own age like a normal 19 year-old would do. It may be a result of the repression from him being home schooled.

by Anonymousreply 78March 21, 2019 12:19 AM

r78 I think less of him because of Maeve as well and I don't feel bad for judging him. It's pathetic how his handlers and his friends didn't have his back there.

But what's the hairline problem you mentioned? His hair looks amazing to me. So luscious and shiny, it makes him look like a demigod sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 79March 21, 2019 12:27 AM

The frontal and temporal hairline is receded and the temporal point is missing. It kind of freaks me out. He wears his curls way down in front to mask it, but some scenes have his hair pushed back and I have to try to ignore the glaring issue.

by Anonymousreply 80March 21, 2019 12:38 AM

Interesting, I'll try to spot it in the finale tonight. Is that genetic or is he balding already?

by Anonymousreply 81March 21, 2019 12:41 AM

No temporal point. Large distance between his eye and the hairline.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82March 21, 2019 2:07 AM

Forehead underneath his hair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83March 21, 2019 2:08 AM

r82 Does that really bother you? More importantly, who's that cutie in the back? Delicious!

by Anonymousreply 84March 21, 2019 2:20 AM

Yes, it creeps me out. Even though it's definitely his own hair, a lot of times it looks like a toupée because of the hair missing from where it should be.

by Anonymousreply 85March 21, 2019 2:29 AM

I don't like the temporal point at all and so I buzz it extra hard when I'm cutting my hair.

Are you really into hair, in general? Like some people are into thighs and others into noses... I've always thought of myself as a hair guy but you took it to the next level with your precise terminology.

by Anonymousreply 86March 21, 2019 2:35 AM

No, not into normal hair. Really noticeable toupées creep me out though, because of the missing hair at the edges. I had to look up what the hair point was called.

by Anonymousreply 87March 21, 2019 2:38 AM

R84 EXACTLY!!

by Anonymousreply 88March 21, 2019 5:00 AM

What an odd "finale"

by Anonymousreply 89March 21, 2019 5:14 AM

Seemed like a very short season, and a very rushed Finale that didn't really wrap-up much.

by Anonymousreply 90March 21, 2019 1:32 PM

Yeah, that last scene was a weird note to end on for a finale. All in all, this show is on the same level as The Umbrella Academy for me - just okay. Those rednecks were fucking scary, though!

Finally figured out which city that is at r72, no thanks to you bitches. It tripped me because you don't usually see shots of SF with the Telegraph Hill as the most prominent landmark. Also, I'm not from the US, so spare me the public shaming.

by Anonymousreply 91March 21, 2019 2:34 PM

I think it's about ten times better than Umbrella Academy. But shy of Magicians.

by Anonymousreply 92March 21, 2019 2:54 PM

I only know I never had to fast forward through cringy pop culture references and pseudo-philosophical speeches on The Umbrella Academy... And the hyper-self-aware monologues, eugh. That really needs to stop next season because it just doesn't translate well to the TV.

by Anonymousreply 93March 21, 2019 3:02 PM

R93... seriously? I had to fast forward through about half of Umbrella Academy. What a crap show, compared to the excellence of Deadly Class.

by Anonymousreply 94March 21, 2019 4:43 PM

r94 I mean, sure, I was doing plenty of other things while watching Academy as it was mostly so boring, but I never felt the urge to fast forward anything because the pretentiousness of the dialogue would bother me so much.

Well, aside from those conversations on the roof between Hooper and Whatsherface. I admit I did FF those only because I can't watch any more of hetero romance stuff.

by Anonymousreply 95March 21, 2019 4:48 PM

So... is brit-punk dead?

by Anonymousreply 96March 22, 2019 12:44 AM

Apparently he was killed in the comics.

No idea of the death will 'stick' in the show.

by Anonymousreply 97March 22, 2019 2:13 PM

He's hot, but he couldn't live forever.

by Anonymousreply 98March 23, 2019 5:17 PM

He didn't add much to the story, in my opinion. But he was hotter to me than that other guy who also has the hots for Petra.

by Anonymousreply 99March 23, 2019 5:19 PM

There are a lot of interestingly hot guys on this show.

by Anonymousreply 100March 24, 2019 5:24 AM

The British guy needed to go, since he was hard to understand and was useless.

by Anonymousreply 101March 24, 2019 5:28 AM

Fuck, the cancelled it!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102June 5, 2019 10:50 AM

*they

by Anonymousreply 103June 5, 2019 10:50 AM

Bummer.

by Anonymousreply 104June 5, 2019 10:54 AM

I'm seeing people commenting that the cancellation is unsurprising as it just wasn't the right fit for a cable channel, being so geared towards the young audiences as it was.

by Anonymousreply 105June 5, 2019 10:58 AM

If the plan was to reach a new, younger demographic they would / should have stuck with it for more seasons to get the word out to said demographic. Netflix already has that younger demographic consumer base checking out their new shows and making them talked about hits amongst their peers in their first seasons.

by Anonymousreply 106June 5, 2019 11:03 AM

It had young characters mouthing the words of Gen X writers. Teenagers don't speak like that, at least not anymore. I had to FF those pretentious monologues and diatribes several times as they were so tedious.

by Anonymousreply 107June 5, 2019 11:10 AM

r107, didn't the first season take place in the 80s?

by Anonymousreply 108June 5, 2019 11:12 AM

r108 It did but I was responding to r106, who said this needed to be given the chance to convince [italic]today's[/italic] youngsters. How are they supposed to connect to such dated writing?

by Anonymousreply 109June 5, 2019 11:16 AM

I really liked the show but period pieces are a hard sell. I wonder if it had been set during modern times would it have been more successful? Probably not but you never know.

by Anonymousreply 110June 5, 2019 12:30 PM

Plus let's be honest. There were no male gay main characters for anyone to identify with. A large part of their audience could have been gay teens.

by Anonymousreply 111June 5, 2019 12:33 PM

They wanted to have their cake and eat it too - anachronistic gay acceptance and some queer sensibility to the proceedings but then zero (young) gay characters at the same time because, you know, it was the '80s so we can't have that.

by Anonymousreply 112June 5, 2019 12:40 PM

The show was amazingly good... original, great cast, great cinematography, great music, … it was awesome, and it was stupid to cancel it.

#SaveDeadlyClass is all over Twitter, and there's a petition to renew it.

I hope Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon pick it up. It'd be a shame not to get more seasons of this show.

And the guys were HOT. Being set in the 80s makes out gay representation a difficult thing, but who cares. There was a lot of nudity and hot male leads, so if that's not enough for you, tough shit.

by Anonymousreply 113June 8, 2019 12:25 AM

Some of us are strictly into gay guys and are not interested in heteros. That's a perfectly valid preference to have and also why we're bitching about gay representation.

by Anonymousreply 114June 8, 2019 12:28 AM

In related news: TIL that the 19 year old lead of this show recently got engaged to his 29 year old cradle-robbing girlfriend.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115June 8, 2019 12:32 AM

Billy was so sexy

by Anonymousreply 116June 8, 2019 12:34 AM

R114. that's just so fucking stupid. You can't know if anyone is straight/gay/bi just by looking, and that status has nothing to do with whether they're hot or not.

Get over yourself. Be attracted to MEN.

by Anonymousreply 117June 8, 2019 12:36 AM

I sure hope it gets picked up by Netflix. Or Hulu. Or Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 118June 8, 2019 2:56 PM

Netflix needs IP with the impending loss of all Marvel/Disney/Lucasfilm/Fox and other studios to follow. I don't know how much more mileage Happy has, but Deadly class should be good for 3 more seasons.

by Anonymousreply 119June 8, 2019 6:40 PM

R119, Happy! was canceled, along with Deadly Class, and … it's fine. I *LOVED* Season 1, but Season 2 was kind of a mess, and it's hard to shock anymore after you've already gone balls-to-the-wall in season one. Nobody's screaming for someone to pick up Happy!.

Deadly Class, though, has a TON of life left in it. It's utterly ridiculous that they canceled it. It actually made a great companion to Magicians, I thought.

by Anonymousreply 120June 9, 2019 3:06 AM

Has another network picked up Deadly Class?

by Anonymousreply 121August 14, 2019 4:09 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!