Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Free Solo (2018) Alex Honnold climbs El Capitan, a 3,000 ft vertical granite wall, basically using only fingers and toes.

To prepare, he climbed it with ropes several times and memorized every move he would have to make. Many of the holds are less than one millimeter deep. He showed remarkable physical strength, and mentally was able to concentrate at an unbelievable level — he kept the primal fear of falling at bay for fours. The slightest error meant certain death.

Some athletes, sports journalists, etc., are saying it is the greatest athletic achievement in history. I realize that sentiment is up for debate, and I’m curious what DL thinks about it.

I thought the film was great.

by Anonymousreply 10604/04/2019

Well, good for him. A young man should have a hobby.

by Anonymousreply 101/15/2019

I cannot relate on any level. I even hate artificial rock climbing inside of a gym. I'm scared of heights.

by Anonymousreply 201/15/2019

I climbed Half Dome this summer. There are cables you hold onto but no harnesses and I hated it. I got panicked and dizzy and couldn’t wait to get down. His achievement is sort of beyond my comprehension because I don’t even want to imagine the danger involved and the height he was at. I do have the movie in my Netflix queue though and will watch it.

by Anonymousreply 301/15/2019

Badly made film, how the fuck did a TV movie win an Oscar? Strange times

by Anonymousreply 403/01/2019

A dangerous endeavor without a pair of levitation boots.

by Anonymousreply 503/01/2019

Strong hands! Imagine how strong his hole is!

by Anonymousreply 603/01/2019

best fllm ive seen all year.

the guy is a hero (and cute)

by Anonymousreply 703/01/2019

He is cute. But I have no understanding of his drive to do death-defying things. As a risk averse person, I have no desire to do any extreme sports or put my life on the line in any way. But good for him if it floats his boat.

Also show us that tight climbing booty!

by Anonymousreply 803/02/2019

Not sure I can bear to watch it even knowing the positive outcome. Just thinking about it gives me anxiety.

by Anonymousreply 903/02/2019

Just watched this last night. Never felt the way I did watching anything in my life. Anything! Obviously I knew he lives cause he was at the Oscars but that did not matter. My anxiety level was through the roof and my mind was blown! When he was attempting the climb with no ropes, holy shit! If you really think about what this guy did it boggles the mind. If you’ve never been to Yosemite you might not really get the scope of what he did, to see it in person. Don’t understand it at all but that’s what makes life so beautiful that we have so many different people in this world. Everyone should watch this film. Beautiful photography (of course it NatGeo), gripping story, unbelievably unfathomable. Watch it!

by Anonymousreply 1003/08/2019

"Could somebody please, you know, GET ME OUTTA HERE!!!"

by Anonymousreply 1103/08/2019

My favorite part of the movie is during the climb. He climbs for an hour, up a sheer cliff, and comes to a ledge where two guys have a little climbing tent and are just getting up. So basically, the two guys in that tent are serious climbers, and it took them all day yesterday and lots of expensive equipment to get to where Honnold got in an hour with just his bare hands!

FYI I know an ex-climber who knows Honnold. He says that yes, he really is just like that in real life, this gawky, spacey, seemingly innocent, really cute guy.

by Anonymousreply 1203/08/2019

It was just too easy; however, I did dock him eight lives.

by Anonymousreply 1303/08/2019

really loved this film, he like some kind of angel able to climb to the heavens like we all can do maybe....somehow....yes

by Anonymousreply 1403/08/2019

OP + R13 reminds me of this

by Anonymousreply 1503/08/2019

Yea, he has his wings.

by Anonymousreply 1603/08/2019

He doesn't have wings, he has the hands and feet of a gecko!

by Anonymousreply 1703/09/2019

Sizemeat?

I know some of you would like to know.

by Anonymousreply 1803/09/2019

Can't even look. I turn away whenever a character even threatens to jump off a roof on L&O.

by Anonymousreply 1903/09/2019

It really was an amazing film, the most beautiful cinematography of the year, as well as THE most suspenseful and gripping film of the entire year.

Haven't seen a dramatic or thriller film that suspenseful in years and years, even though I knew how it ended.

by Anonymousreply 2003/09/2019

I want to watch it, but every time I even look at stills from the movie, my palms start sweating profusely. I am not sure I can sit through it.

by Anonymousreply 2103/09/2019

I loved it. The fact that it made no real effort to understand the mindset of the free climber but rather let him just express himself, letting us making our own decisions about him, only enhanced the astonishing cinematography. It was also the most suspenseful film I've seen in ages, despite knowing how it ended.

by Anonymousreply 2203/09/2019

I haven't seen Free Solo yet but I watched a movie called Meru last year and it's directed by the same guy, Jimmy Chin. That movie was excellent. I highly recommend.

by Anonymousreply 2303/09/2019

My friend hooked up with him once. She said he was too clingy.

by Anonymousreply 2403/09/2019

R22 they literally had him take an MRI on camera and discuss the results indicating his brain was different. He requires much more stimulation than average to activate his something or other. That explained everything.

by Anonymousreply 2503/10/2019

His amygdala, which is responsible for emotional responses such as fear, etc. R25.

by Anonymousreply 2603/10/2019

Just thinking about this makes my balls shrink way up into my abdominal cavity.

by Anonymousreply 2703/10/2019

Bump

by Anonymousreply 2803/10/2019

Those ears though!

by Anonymousreply 2903/12/2019

Impossible to listen to all the male vocal fry in this doc.

by Anonymousreply 3003/12/2019

LOL R24.

by Anonymousreply 3103/12/2019

I watched this in my local theater my hands sweated profusely watching him climb El Capitan.

by Anonymousreply 3203/12/2019

how can I hook up with him, he my hero, will pay to worship and sniff his hole...

by Anonymousreply 3303/13/2019

He has a great bod and forearms. And BDF.

by Anonymousreply 3403/13/2019

Is he on the spectrum?

by Anonymousreply 3503/13/2019

White people...

by Anonymousreply 3603/13/2019

He appears to be the closest thing to a space alien I have ever seen. Those big ears, and those giant jet black eyes.

by Anonymousreply 3703/13/2019

Remarkable achievement and he comes out as humble and grounded.

The actual climb is hard to watch, especially a couple of stages where he fell while practicing with ropes. One of his mates filming turns away and I had to work really hard not to turn away, as he did so, myself. Found myself thinking about it days after. Can’t help feeling that, if he continues, it is inevitable he will die. I sincerely hope that is not what happens but so many others have already. In fairness, he is intelligently aware of that.

by Anonymousreply 3803/13/2019

[quote] Can’t help feeling that, if he continues, it is inevitable he will die.

My thoughts exactly. I really hope he quits while he is ahead. Stick with the ropes at least.

by Anonymousreply 3903/13/2019

John Bachar made it to 52. My god, he was hot.

by Anonymousreply 4003/13/2019

I love him, he is my fave sports guy, and he lives in his camper. so kool.

best to u alex, stay alive !!!!!

by Anonymousreply 4103/13/2019

[quote]Not sure I can bear to watch it even knowing the positive outcome. Just thinking about it gives me anxiety.

No way I could watch this. The mere thought of it is frightening. Heights, for whatever reason, utterly terrify me. Plus, the idea of being stuck up there, unable to move because of a sudden burst of fear, and having no way to get down. . . . Just no; my hands are sweating simply thinking about it.

by Anonymousreply 4203/13/2019

He's got a house in Las Vegas with his girlfriend. I wouldn't be surprised if he settles down with her and tones down the free soloing in general, but who knows. I hope he doesn't die... that'd suck. We need some survivors form this sport.

by Anonymousreply 4303/13/2019

imagine the strength of his cock, and of his ass sphincter.

by Anonymousreply 4403/13/2019

Idiotic pointless stunt. Dr McCoy was correct.

by Anonymousreply 4503/13/2019

He's clearly on the spectrum so he doesn't experience emotions the same way as the rest of us.

by Anonymousreply 4603/13/2019

R46 I think that might save him. He isn’t processing emotions like the rest of us and that allows him to go out on a suicide mission and hold his nerve. Nevertheless, I think he should quit now when he’s 1-0 up on death. His girlfriend is going to get hurt, I just can’t see him being an effective husband and father. To make it work she’s going to have to do 90% of the work and get nothing much in return. I guess it helps that she was a groupie he met at a book signing so she’s probably a bit infatuated and seeing the man in the book rather than the real man.

by Anonymousreply 4703/13/2019

Sidebar for those who don't speak Spanish: El Capitan means "The Captain."

by Anonymousreply 4803/13/2019

Listen to his podcast with Rich Roll.

Anyway his girlfriend will get tired of being “ignored”. I dated someone who was obsessive and I just felt alone all of the time.

by Anonymousreply 4903/13/2019

[quote]they literally had him take an MRI on camera and discuss the results indicating his brain was different. He requires much more stimulation than average to activate his something or other. That explained everything.

[quote]His amygdala, which is responsible for emotional responses such as fear, etc.

He's probably a psychopath.

by Anonymousreply 5003/13/2019

He’s mean to his girlfriend and shows little interest in who she is. She doesn’t seem to mind.

by Anonymousreply 5103/13/2019

R51 mean how

by Anonymousreply 5203/13/2019

In the film, when the gf was nagging him pretty hard about "having a reason to stop" (i.e. her or a baby) I thought for sure we'd see her poking holes in the condoms or something. She seems like a stage 5 clinger who will happily accept scraps provided he doesn't cheat.

by Anonymousreply 5303/13/2019

Every decade I get older I can deal with heights less. When I was 10 I was fearless on the Palisades and in the Gunks. When I was twenty I could hike narrow precipitous trails. When I was thirty I was getting queasy on high trams and when I was 40 I had to stand in the middle of those trams and there were ski trails I would never take again. Around 50, I couldn't watch death defying thrill seekers on film and video, it gave me panic attacks and deep dread.

by Anonymousreply 5403/13/2019

When he said he liked having her around because she’s small and doesn’t take up much space 😂 He’s got Aspergers like his dad, he has such a low EQ. His mom said his dad’s passion was travel when he wasn’t travelling things were bad. I think it will be the same with Alex if he stops climbing.

by Anonymousreply 5503/13/2019

He also blamed her for his injuries

by Anonymousreply 5603/13/2019

The gf did cause the one fall. She's an inexperienced climber, not sure why he even had her out there.

by Anonymousreply 5703/13/2019

Aspie climber.

by Anonymousreply 5803/13/2019

The gf seems like the type who wants him to change and give up the thing he really loves the most. Trying to get him to tone it down, not do these crazy risky climbs. Hello, you knew exactly who he is and what you were getting into! She could have dated an accountant or something, but then she wouldn't have the celebrity and prestige of being Alex Honnold's gf. Watching the film, I couldn't figure out what exactly it is that she does, or did before she met him. Apparently she is a "life and transition coach." Sounds like a bunch of crap to me.

I mean, she seems a nice girl and all, but would she would have people hiring her for this shit if not for dating Alex?

by Anonymousreply 5903/13/2019

She can't have a regular 9-5 job because she probably feels she has to make herself available to him and his life 24-7.

by Anonymousreply 6003/13/2019

It's a different way of life. 9-5 doesn't fit.

by Anonymousreply 6103/13/2019

Free climbing is what he is and it will always be the most important thing. He knows the risks and is willing to die to do what he loves. Not that he wants to die it’s just that the thing he loves to do most carries that risk and it is what it is.

by Anonymousreply 6203/13/2019

This guy has OCD to a level I have never seen before. Calculating and testing each move, but very cavalier about death. I think rock climbers are mentally damaged. Impressive feat but also huge ego and death wish. I hope other people don't attempt it because unless you are OCD and willing to die, you will never succeed and will mostly die.

by Anonymousreply 6303/13/2019

Haven't seen the doc yet. This as a good listen, fascinating person.

by Anonymousreply 6403/13/2019

The girlfriend claims to not have known who Alex was before she met him at one of his book signings. I doubt that. I wasn't all that connected with the outdoors like she apparently is and I've known who this guy was for years.

Either way, her asking him to put herself before his climbing goals seemed strange. She wouldn't have the status as his girlfriend if he weren't a world renowned free soloist. It's like marrying a law student and asking him to put the bar before her happiness or something. Doesn't really make sense.

I'm certain he's on the spectrum, and I'm sure he knows it too, but he is who he is and he's not hurting anyone. Also, not all climbers are as intense as him. Tommy Caldwell, who's in the documentary, seems to be pretty stable and emotionally sound. He's much safer when he climbs and has a wife and kids and everything. Also a cutie. There's a documentary on him called The Dawn Wall. You can watch it on Netflix. I think it's a more emotionally engaging film with a more sympathetic lead.

by Anonymousreply 6503/13/2019

"He’s mean to his girlfriend and shows little interest in who she is."

He's not mean! He's thoughtless. Not cruel or unkind, just clueless about how his actions affect normal people.

As for the girlfriend, in the movie it looked like she was working hard to resist the impulse to change him. Of course that will end the minute she thinks she's pregnant.

by Anonymousreply 6603/13/2019

As someone with bad acrophobia, I'll pass on watching this documentary.

by Anonymousreply 6703/13/2019

Thought Alex came across like a self obsessed asshole.

But I did wonder how he makes money? How does he just criss cross the world climbing? Who funds him?

by Anonymousreply 6803/13/2019

Pretty sure he's sponsored through North Face.

by Anonymousreply 6903/13/2019

I've been following him for a while now, and whilst he does seem to have very little understanding of how people process emotions (or rather he csn only understand it as a concept but not experience them himself) which in turn makes seem sound like a bit of asshole, from all accounts of people who met him it looks like guy is really down to earth, no big ego at all and super nice in person. He does a nice job with his fundation and I picked some nice books from his reading list.

by Anonymousreply 7003/13/2019

He doesn't seem like good boyfriend material but comes across as a sweet and decent person. Hope he stays alive a long time! Free Solo is excellent.

by Anonymousreply 7103/14/2019

The girlfriend was certainly always on the verge of doing that ‘ I should be enough for you now ‘ thing. I know someone who has always been into bikes and, through that, became a member of a somewhat notorious club that demands a lot. I also know his girlfriend. While she reluctantly accepts he will always put the club first she exhausts herself wanting him to change. It’s clear he won’t. In turn, she can be exhausting because of that. I don’t really understand why women do that. Become attracted to men who have a very specific passion and then try to make them put it aside for them.

It will be interesting seeing what Honnold does in the future. His body will betray him at some point. Hopefully he can channel his focus into his foundation.

by Anonymousreply 7203/14/2019

R72 I think people with a real passion come through as really attractive (well that's true for me), so it is no surprise women go after them.

by Anonymousreply 7303/14/2019

R72, the straights have this weird thing where men expect their woman to make him their #1 priority in life. Ahead of her work, her hobbies, her friends and familyl if she doesn't treat him like he's more important than anything in the world except maybe their children, he'll look for a woman who will put him first.

Some straight women just accept that their man will never return that level of commitment, others try to get their man to return something like the same level of devotion, and maybe 1-2% of them succeed.

by Anonymousreply 7403/14/2019

Where can i watch this moovie?

by Anonymousreply 7503/14/2019

[quote]But I did wonder how he makes money? How does he just criss cross the world climbing? Who funds him?

He was living in a van for a long time. In the doc he says that he makes "dentist money" or something to that effect. I don't think he's living large.

by Anonymousreply 7603/14/2019

Dentists make $500,000.

by Anonymousreply 7703/14/2019

Where are you getting your stats?

by Anonymousreply 7803/14/2019

He seems like he doesn't need a lot to live fullfilling life, he still donated round 25% of his salaries to his foundation. My guess is that most of his travels are sponsored by North Face or done in collab with Nat Geo or other outdoor media.

by Anonymousreply 7903/14/2019

But she needs life coaching .to get her to realize this relationship has serious limitations ..

by Anonymousreply 8003/14/2019

Yeah, I thought he was a douche. And, not even remotely attractive.

by Anonymousreply 8103/14/2019

Wonder if the gf is related to Chris McCandless.

by Anonymousreply 8203/14/2019

What's the documentary where those 2 at R65 do deep throat 69 halfway up Pic Longs?

by Anonymousreply 8303/14/2019

Incredible to watch, almost impossible to believe. I think his girlfriend is a jinx for him.

by Anonymousreply 8403/14/2019

The girlfriend's not related to Chris McCandless. She was an event planner in Seattle before she became a certified life coach.

by Anonymousreply 8503/14/2019

Bitch be cray!

by Anonymousreply 8603/14/2019

Here he is, shirtless and barefooted!

by Anonymousreply 8703/14/2019

His fingertips must have fingertips.

by Anonymousreply 8803/14/2019

I don't care how mean or emotionless he is.

he is hot and interesting and unique and packs ten inches of wonderlust.

by Anonymousreply 8903/14/2019

[quote]Wonder if the gf is related to Chris McCandless.

I thought she just adopted his last name because she has a fetish for that kind of dude (the kind that never showers!)

by Anonymousreply 9003/14/2019

He’s right that all you need to free solo is your hands... and lube and tissues 🤗

by Anonymousreply 9103/14/2019

[quote]His fingertips must have fingertips.

His hands are meaty from all his climbing. They almost look cartoonish. You can see them clearly in this vid:

by Anonymousreply 9203/14/2019

I used to love to fly. My first flight as an infant was on a PanAm Lockheed Constellation (yeah, elder me). Now I HATE being up in the air. I have vivid plane crash dreams, including a reoccurring one where I watch a 747 nosedive into a Japanese footbridge.

All that said, more power to Alex Honnold's extraordinary achievements. He knew what he was doing and nobody else could do what he did. So what if he is "different" for whatever reasons? I think BASE jumpers and flying suit people are far more foolhardy. The number of deaths in those activities is off the scale.

Fuck flying, even if I still have to do it to go anyplace interesting.

by Anonymousreply 9303/14/2019

R74 gets it. You just know if she had a passion she put first Alex would have rid himself of her long ago. It was uncomfortable watching her desperately looking for some validation that he was devoted and loved her.

If I had to guess I’d say he earned 175-250,000 at the time of filming but he has no real expenses or at least didn’t until coupling up. It’s prob more now that the movie was such a success. He also said he got insurance money after his father’s death that allowed him to start living a van life and spending months in Yosemite so he has no debt either. He’s from Sac so to him dentist money is low 6 figures not 500,000. In my hometown dentist money is 90,000 so it’s all relative.

by Anonymousreply 9403/14/2019

r7, heroism is when you do things for other people. He's risking his life... that's not heroic, that's insulting.

by Anonymousreply 9503/14/2019

[quote]he is hot and interesting and unique and [bold]packs ten inches[/bold] of wonderlust.

You have no idea.

by Anonymousreply 9603/14/2019

I don't understand how people find this fascinating, So what that he does this. He gets a rush and that's fine but as someone pointed out he's no hero because what he does is pointless and helps no one.

But then I feel that about pro sports players. What they do must be fun for themselves but is boring to me and in no way heroic.

by Anonymousreply 9703/14/2019

Of course he's not saving the world. He's doing exactly what he wants to do with life, and that can be inspiring to people who feel trapped in boring "normal" soul-sucking existences. They don't have to be rock climbers, but they might feel a little more motivated to make the most of their banal lives since we're all going to die at some point anyway. And he gives a pretty sizeable chunk of his income to charity. What have you done lately, R97?

by Anonymousreply 9803/14/2019

It's because he's hot, r97.

by Anonymousreply 9903/14/2019

Even though he's hot, I mean really attractive, I can believe he's been unable to get a steady girlfriend until now. Because he doesn't really put anything into the relationship, everything he does is about the climbing and that's not going to change. He couldn't have anyone with their own career or passion as a significant other because he would just see that as something that interfered with the climbing, the only kind of person he could have around is someone who accepts him just as he is and who doesn't try to change him, and who is willing to be ignored and treated as a low priority. Hopefully she'll get tired of it before she gets pregnant.

Because yeah, that kind of focus is what it takes to be the best in the world at something. It's the same for any kind of sport of physical pursuit, nobody at that top level has any sort of "normal" approach to life or relationships with other humans. But unlike most at the top of their sport, Honnold seems humble and innocent, there's no ego there.

by Anonymousreply 10003/14/2019

A lot of bitter queens on here. R98 is spot on.

by Anonymousreply 10103/14/2019

I don’t think he’s hot but he seems pure. It’s great that his Asperger’s helps him succeed at doing what he loves.

by Anonymousreply 10203/14/2019

I wonder if he will have crippling arthritis when (if) he gets old.

by Anonymousreply 10303/15/2019

R103 he'll die way before that

by Anonymousreply 10403/15/2019

R97 entertainment industry also fall in that category. Pointless and helps no one.

by Anonymousreply 10504/04/2019

Oh,god, I was practically hyperventilating when I saw the last parts of the docu.

That was intense! Even though I remembered seeing him at the Oscars. It was still stupid nerve-wracking. .

by Anonymousreply 10604/04/2019
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!