Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Lee Daniels creating Gay Superhero movie

Interesting

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50April 24, 2019 9:03 PM

We already have one

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1January 15, 2019 6:30 PM

Kick Ass

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2January 15, 2019 6:31 PM

Good for him. If you want to see a certain type of character in movies, don't wait for others to do it or complain when they don't.

I applaud him for this.

by Anonymousreply 3January 15, 2019 6:33 PM

Nobody will watch it unless it is about lesbians.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4January 15, 2019 6:33 PM

Super Bitch

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5January 15, 2019 6:34 PM

Gaysploitation

by Anonymousreply 6January 15, 2019 6:34 PM

"Its not my next one, but it's in the pipeline"

We have all heard that story in the entertainment industry, wake me when it is actually under production.

by Anonymousreply 7January 15, 2019 6:37 PM

Lee Daniels isn't the guy to make an action flick.

by Anonymousreply 8January 15, 2019 7:03 PM

Agree R8. Based on the three films of his I've seen, he's a crappy director.

by Anonymousreply 9January 15, 2019 7:19 PM

People would definitely watch a gay superhero if they are kick-ass and masculine. No one will watch a femme gay as superhero, it's ridiculous sorry. Look at Super Drags from  Netflix, it was cancelled after one season.

He has to be quick, because Disney already has a Hulkling and Wiccan on the pipeline as well, though most people aren't aware of that.

by Anonymousreply 10January 15, 2019 7:32 PM

Why reinforce stereotypes?

by Anonymousreply 11January 15, 2019 7:59 PM

Think about your comment r10. "This can only be made if the gay hero is indistinguishable from a straight hero, if he is at all noticeably gay it is trash"

by Anonymousreply 12January 15, 2019 8:02 PM

“Noticeably gay?” He can be noticeably gay regarding his same-sex mannerisms. No need to make him some stereotype in mannerisms.

by Anonymousreply 13January 15, 2019 8:04 PM

You could have a great one.

Constantine from the eponymous show and now Legends of Tomorrow is bi, but had a gay storyline.

And, Matt Ryan is handsome with no stereotypical mannerisms.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14January 15, 2019 8:08 PM

R12 and R13 are homophobes. They think masculinity is exclusive to heterosexuals.

I've never said the character needs to be indistinguishable to straights, but that they need to be masculine. Maybe you don't know many, but most gay guys I hang out with are masculine.

No one will believe an effeminate and delicate man is a kick-ass superhero, even if said man were straight. People will believe that a masculine and strong man can kick ass, simple. His being gay should be a detail. That was my point. Hulkling and Wiccan are successful as Young Avengers because of these characteristics.

The videos posted upthread shows this. Even the actor calls it comedy, because that's all this will ever be.

by Anonymousreply 15January 15, 2019 8:11 PM

I meant: e can be noticeably gay regarding his same-sex love interests. No need to make him some stereotype in mannerisms.

by Anonymousreply 16January 15, 2019 8:11 PM

[Quote][R12] and [R13] are homophobes. They think masculinity is exclusive to heterosexuals.

Snort, what bullshit. Obviously some gay guys are masculine, but a lot are not super masculine. There is nothing wrong with that, and your insistence that they couldn't be heroes is pathetic.

Your need to desperstely worship at the altar of masculinity is sad.

by Anonymousreply 17January 15, 2019 8:16 PM

R9, agree. He’s a horrible director. Great dresser though. I saw a premiere of his at Sundance, and he was wearing a great outfit. He should switch to fashion design.

by Anonymousreply 18January 15, 2019 8:21 PM

R17 Get a clue, Gertrude! It's not our fault you're a prissy effeminate gay man. Stop hating on people just because they behave the way you wish you did, but can't. You were bullied at school, we get it. Get a therapist already. You must be one of those whiny queens complaining about masc-to-masc ads, while secretly only messaging the masculine dudes for sex. I know you're type. Go get yourself your daily manipedi and fuck off.

NO ONE will buy a wimpy effeminate guy, gay or straight, kicking ass, the end.

by Anonymousreply 19January 15, 2019 8:23 PM

Yep, there is certainly a big queen here r19.

by Anonymousreply 20January 15, 2019 8:28 PM

The thing is if it’s a fem guy, audiences will only view him a joke. Society doesn’t view fem males as heroic or kick ass.

by Anonymousreply 21January 15, 2019 8:28 PM

Just like he was going to create a gay action hero film with Alex Pettyfer?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22January 15, 2019 8:30 PM

Marvel’s X-Men have confirmed Iceman & Pyro are gay, and they may certainly return in upcoming movies in the Universe. So.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23January 15, 2019 8:35 PM

[quote] The thing is if it’s a fem guy, audiences will only view him a joke. Society doesn’t view fem males as heroic or kick ass.

That's because they're not. It's not offensive or derogatory to state the truth. If fem men (gay or straight, as there are effeminate heterosexuals) could kick ass they wouldn't grow up scarred and suffering from mental health issues, they'd have solved it by kicking the ass of the ones bullying them. Isn't it obvious? I know people will say because of my previous comment that I'm a bully, but I have defended femme guys from bullying during high school and would do it again if I had the chance.

Reality won't change, though. If fem guys begin standing up for themselves and beating the crap of bullies, then you'll have your superhero film.

by Anonymousreply 24January 15, 2019 8:35 PM

You do like hearing yourself talk don't you.

Exactly r24, this movie has been talked about for years. Why I will believe it when I see it.

Marvel keeps chugging along, and I think eventually we will see Wiccan and Hulkling. It took them like 20 movies to make one starring a girls these things move slow.

by Anonymousreply 25January 15, 2019 8:40 PM

It would have to be a comedy if that guy is cast

by Anonymousreply 26January 15, 2019 10:35 PM

[quote]Marvel’s X-Men have confirmed Iceman & Pyro are gay, and they may certainly return in upcoming movies in the Universe. So.

The problem with that is the retconning required.

For good, bad, or indifferent, Daniels would be creating a character that was gay from inception, not re-writing previously established characters and ignoring past stories.

by Anonymousreply 27January 15, 2019 11:34 PM

Good mindset r3

by Anonymousreply 28January 15, 2019 11:37 PM

R27 I take your point, but to render Iceman and/or Pyro gay today it’s less retcon and more ‘reset/reboot to factory settings’.

Pyro was conceived as a coded/glass-closeted gay mutant from inception back in the early ‘80s, and this only got let behind because of the AIDS crisis and because he was a lesser mook character to start with; likely considered beneath the notice of writing staff kept changing so fast that continuity became a dirty word.

As for Iceman, he’s had like three ‘coming Out’ stories seeded since the early ‘90s. Jean told him to his face that he’s gay.

People just forget (or are encouraged to) certain inconvenient ‘details’ about popular characters that might make them a threat.

by Anonymousreply 29January 16, 2019 8:53 AM

Deadpool is bi.

by Anonymousreply 30January 16, 2019 8:55 AM

R4 Wonder Woman is a lesbian??

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31January 16, 2019 9:08 AM

Wasn’t Kick-ass gay?

by Anonymousreply 32January 16, 2019 6:54 PM

After watching Professor Marston and the Wonder Women, about the creator of Wonder Woman one can only read Wonder woman as bisexual and with a huge lesbian vibe to it.

by Anonymousreply 33January 16, 2019 7:03 PM

The concept of wonder woman is an island of warrior women who completely hid themselves away from any penises. It's pretty fucking gay.

by Anonymousreply 34January 16, 2019 7:09 PM

Not a movie but there's a Batwoman series supposed to come out this year.

by Anonymousreply 35January 16, 2019 7:58 PM

[quote]People just forget (or are encouraged to) certain inconvenient ‘details’ about popular characters that might make them a threat.

r29 - I agree. Characters like Constantine have had much of their own backstories ignored to make them more palatable to a wider audience.

Even Deadpool, who is supposed to be "pansexual" or whatever, makes jokes, but doesn't actually engage in non-heterosexual action.

by Anonymousreply 36January 17, 2019 2:58 AM

R35 yeah starring Ruby Rose.....on the CW.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37January 17, 2019 3:03 AM

That Hari Nef creatures looks like a boy with a wig. Gamestop she-hulk before the radiation.

by Anonymousreply 38January 17, 2019 3:26 AM

[quote] Deadpool, who is supposed to be "pansexual" or whatever, makes jokes, but doesn't actually engage in non-heterosexual action.

Word. To a certain extent this is true of Gamit (Marvel’s X-MEN) more often than not. Occasionally he gets a writer who’ll give him a flirtatious or suggestive relationship with a male, but the quotidian is all “Ma cheré“ all the time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39January 17, 2019 8:27 AM

Already been done and better than Daniels would do it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40January 17, 2019 8:54 AM

Lee Daniels is a horrible director, on par with Sister Tyler Perry. He's been talking about doing some gay themed action/superhero film for years, but I doubt it will see the light of day.

by Anonymousreply 41January 17, 2019 8:58 AM

I don’t want a stereotypical superhero

by Anonymousreply 42January 17, 2019 11:33 AM

We don't need a stereotypical hero.

We don't need to know the way home.

by Anonymousreply 43January 17, 2019 5:17 PM

R10 they'd watch a femme gay superhero but only if it was a comedy starring a drag queen; maybe Laganja Estranja with her earth-shattering death drops, Valentina because her homicidal fangirls would riot, anti-hero Sharon Needles, or Willam pursuing a drug cartel that murders her fellow prostitutes.

by Anonymousreply 44January 18, 2019 6:40 AM

No more stereotypes.

by Anonymousreply 45January 19, 2019 4:03 PM

At the end of a 12-minute conversation at the Time 100 Summit that glided past the most conspicuous issue in his career — the fate of Empire in the wake of the Jussie Smollett case — Lee Daniels offered a few new details about Superbitch.

That memorably titled project is also known as the Daniels-shepherded gay superhero movie. He announced it in January in an Instagram post that featured the film’s progenitor, a performer who posts videos on the social network. He said he will produce and put several million dollars into the modest-budgeted film, but will not direct, scouting instead for an up-and-comer to step behind the camera.

After moderator Van Jones of CNN asked in the waning seconds of the conversation if the “rumor” about the project are true, Daniels exclaimed, “It’s true!” He elaborated, “It’s called Superbitch. I found him on Instagram of all places. He does backflips and he has a cape and he does karate and, oh my God, he’s going to be a hero!”

While “I’m not putting that much money behind it,” Daniels noted, “a couple million dollars for a gay superhero movie is pretty f–king exciting!”

Jones replied, “With a name like Superbitch, you ain’t gotta promote it.”

After Jones offered a laudatory introduction, he and Daniels spent the bulk of the session recalling the oft-told tales of how Daniels has bucked convention at every turn. “I was disruptive at birth,” Daniels said. As he sought to get his career on track, he looked for financing sources wherever he could find them. “Some of it was drug money,” he shrugged. “You do what you do.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46April 23, 2019 9:28 PM

He can fight

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47April 23, 2019 9:29 PM

I can see it now

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48April 23, 2019 9:31 PM

That’s hot

by Anonymousreply 49April 23, 2019 9:38 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 50April 24, 2019 9:03 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!