Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Curb Your Spending Habits

You're in the store or shopping online for some great deals. Printed on the item: Made In China. Online, scroll down. Country of origin. Manufactured in China.

What do you do? If you answered: "Leave it right back on the shelf to rot", you've guessed the correct answer. That's where it belongs. Only purchase in dire circumstances. Only purchase second hand off of your fellow citizen if you can help it. Sticky fingers? Not even worth shoplifting😅 Let it rot!

Product of USA- right in the cart.

Made in Mexico- cart

Product of Canada?- cart bound

Indonesia, India, Turkey, Europe? Cart, cart, cart and cart

Practice makes perfect

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8October 18, 2019 5:01 AM

That means no dollar store shopping. Even lots of the food in from China. That includes cookies, frozen foods and condiments. Read the label. That stuff is also imported from other countries I am not keen on eating processed foods made there.

I always wanted to try the jams, but they are from Egypt or Poland. I worry about contamination from Chernobyl in any European food products.

by Anonymousreply 1October 17, 2019 11:41 PM

Both OP and R1 Sound like paranoid crazy people.

by Anonymousreply 2October 17, 2019 11:46 PM

Turkey is OK?

by Anonymousreply 3October 17, 2019 11:48 PM

I read a book by a woman who tried to avoid Chinese products for a year - brutal!

by Anonymousreply 4October 17, 2019 11:50 PM

R4, avoiding Chinese products completely would be difficult. Another, easier, approach would be to buy American-made products preferentially, with products from our NAFTA partners or other countries with decent labor standards - Japan, the EU - as the next choice, and China last.

I don't follow this practice, unfortunately, but I will say that a "made in the USA" label constitutes a plus in my buying decisions.

by Anonymousreply 5October 17, 2019 11:54 PM

OP, you should probably put products made in India, Bangladesh, Vietnam, Indonesia, etc. back on the shelf, too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6October 17, 2019 11:57 PM

It isn't required that a company list the country of origin of all of the ingredients in a product. For example, a can of vegetable soup could have vegetables sourced from anywhere on earth.

by Anonymousreply 7October 18, 2019 4:53 AM

r2, look at the pollution in China. Do you really want to eat food processed from there? Do you really believe anything labeled organic from China is free from contamination? I remember one vendor selling organic lotus root. When asked if he really believed that it could be organic, he said emphatically that the label says it is organic, so it is organic. Riiiiight.

I am also leery of purchasing food from Italy. I read an article about the corruption in Italy. Highly toxic industrial waste is illegally buried in agricultural fields. Cancers are on the rise. It said that many Italians do not want to purchase vegetables grown in Campania now due to this problem. And those vegetables are often labeled organic! No thanks, I am not taking the chance.

by Anonymousreply 8October 18, 2019 5:01 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!