Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Horror FIlm Lovers

You hated Hereditary (I LOVED IT)

You hated Halloween 2018 (I SUPER FUCKING LOVED IT)

What horror films did you people actually like?? And why???

And you are not allowed to say the classics- Rosemary's Baby and The Exorcist- That's just lazy, bitches!

by Anonymousreply 600June 5, 2019 7:19 PM

Giallo/70s Italian horror films are my favorite, I love finding ones I haven't seen.

by Anonymousreply 1January 5, 2019 7:26 PM

Here's a list of really good ones:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2January 5, 2019 7:30 PM

I don't find many old b&w horror movies scary. things have just amped up so much since the 70s.

by Anonymousreply 3January 5, 2019 7:32 PM

Ingmar Bergman's Hour of the Wolf always creeps me out. Persona too, although it technically isn't a horror film.

by Anonymousreply 4January 5, 2019 7:34 PM

You guys are a bunch of nerds-

Did you like Inside, the 2007 film from France? THAT is horror!

Did you the Alexandra Aja's remake of The Hills Have Eyes?

Fuck, did you at least enjoy The Others?

by Anonymousreply 5January 5, 2019 7:34 PM

Sussperia isn’t even available for download ? WTF??

by Anonymousreply 6January 5, 2019 7:37 PM

those who say that stupid assed movie with Julie Christie about some walls that shake from 1950 are pressed for horror. they probably get scared by their own shadows.

by Anonymousreply 7January 5, 2019 7:37 PM

FOLLIES!

by Anonymousreply 8January 5, 2019 7:38 PM

I cannot WAIT Until Suspira comes out On Demand-

by Anonymousreply 9January 5, 2019 7:39 PM

I second R1. Profondo Rosso & Don't Torture a Duckling are fantastic giallo movies

by Anonymousreply 10January 5, 2019 7:42 PM

How was Luca’s Suspiria? I loved the original

by Anonymousreply 11January 5, 2019 7:42 PM

R10 I really want this book.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12January 5, 2019 7:47 PM

Sleepaway Camp is a good horror/slasher film.

by Anonymousreply 13January 5, 2019 7:48 PM

Am i allowed to say Scream?? I actually enjoy most of Blumhouse's movies (Unfriended, Happy Death Day and Hush) but Halloween was a little disappointing. Good luck to whoever decides to reboot Freddy and Jason.

by Anonymousreply 14January 5, 2019 7:51 PM

let the right one in

by Anonymousreply 15January 5, 2019 7:58 PM

Let The Right One In has yet to be topped. There have been many highly rated by RT I watched them and can’t think of a single title. Happy Death Day and You May Be The Killer we’re just okay.

by Anonymousreply 16January 5, 2019 8:00 PM

Julie Christie and Donald Sutherland did a classic horror film Don’t Look Now.

by Anonymousreply 17January 5, 2019 8:08 PM

R1 I think You Tube have some great titles from Mario Bava.

I found some great giallo films on Dailymotion:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18January 6, 2019 4:15 AM

Una Lucertola Con La Pelle Di Donna By Lucio Fulci

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19January 6, 2019 4:22 AM

Has anyone seen The Love Witch? It's a really good and original comedy horror that pays homage to sexploitation and Giallo type movies. It's so detailed in every way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20January 6, 2019 12:48 PM

Don't Look Now is a classic that gets better with each viewing!

by Anonymousreply 21January 6, 2019 1:34 PM

I LOVE Hellraiser 1 and 2.

by Anonymousreply 22January 6, 2019 1:46 PM

[Quote] I LOVE Hellraiser 1 and 2.

I'm scared to check out that franchise because of how gory it is.

by Anonymousreply 23January 6, 2019 1:52 PM

'Drag Me to Hell' - Great, creepy as hell - without over the top violence or gore. The same applies to The Ring.

by Anonymousreply 24January 6, 2019 1:52 PM

The Orphanage (2007) by Spanish filmmaker J.A. Bayona.

Similar to The Others, but better.

American filmmakers have lost the art in general, especially in the horror genre. The millennial-fave Hereditary was a joke, in that it was a poor retread of several better-made classics. Most horror films today are of the slasher mentality -- violence and gore, with nothing complex to think about.

by Anonymousreply 25January 6, 2019 2:10 PM

Like a lot of people here, I'm especially fond of the giallo films from Italy (especially by Bava & Argento), a number of Hammer and Amicus films from England, and David Cronenberg's films (especially The Fly and Videodrome).

Some random examples of other but more recent films:

The Others, The Babadook, The Conjuring, Get Out, the first Saw movie, Evil Dead 2, and two from Spain: The Skin I Live In (can that count?) and The Baby's Room

The last great horror film I saw was It Comes at Night. . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26January 6, 2019 2:34 PM

[Quote] The Others, The Babadook, The Conjuring, Get Out, the first Saw movie

They really should have stopped after the 3rd movie with the Saw franchise. And i found the Babadong scarier than the movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27January 6, 2019 2:48 PM

The Invitation was an excellent slow burn film set at a Los Angeles dinner party. I highly recommend. From the beginning you know that something is off, but you're not really sure what until the end.

by Anonymousreply 28January 6, 2019 2:53 PM

Wolfen - 1981

by Anonymousreply 29January 6, 2019 3:01 PM

[Quote] The Invitation was an excellent slow burn film set at a Los Angeles dinner party.

I would have been Claire.

by Anonymousreply 30January 6, 2019 3:02 PM

There's a few streaming on Netflix that I really liked:

Train To Busan. It's in subtitles and it's really good. I've watched it twice.

Shutter, with Joshua Jackson.

Veronica is based on a true story. Ouija boards always freak me out.

The Ghost House.

by Anonymousreply 31January 6, 2019 3:20 PM

Full Circle / The Haunting of Julia

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32January 6, 2019 3:21 PM

Blumhouse’s Halloween was great. I saw it in theaters and bought it on iTunes a week ago the moment it was available. I’ve watched it practically every night the past week. Absolutely destroys all of the sequels.

Another recent one I loved was Conjuring 2. James Wan is a modern day Master of Horror. Nobody can make you dread scenes of darkness like him.

by Anonymousreply 33January 6, 2019 3:26 PM

Even though Mandy Moore was in it. I loved 47 Meters Down.

by Anonymousreply 34January 6, 2019 7:01 PM

Loved the Friday the 13th reboot. I think I'm the only one. I like how it had nods from the first few movies.

by Anonymousreply 35January 6, 2019 8:00 PM

Is Blumhouse’s Halloween also Rob Zomie’s ? If so he ruined it by casting himself and his wife and making characters white trash.

by Anonymousreply 36January 6, 2019 8:02 PM

I love the Christopher Lee "Dracula" movies; they are pure camp! I especially love "Dracula: Prince of Darkness" which features Dracula terrorizing annoying British tourists including a woman in this massive bouffant wig that never gets messed up.

by Anonymousreply 37January 6, 2019 8:10 PM

I enjoyed The Ones Below but it got mixed reviews.

by Anonymousreply 38January 8, 2019 12:44 AM

The Possession Of Michael King is really good. It's about a man who loses his wife in a car accident so he loses his faith in God and wants to see if something else is out there.

He consults all these satanists to show him how to invite Lucifer into his like and then all these creepy things start happening to him.

by Anonymousreply 39January 8, 2019 2:02 AM

It's such a shame. I thought both Hereditary and Halloween had all the ingredients to be a perfect film, but both fall short. Firstly, Michael Myers is not as scary when you throw him into a crowded neighborhood. In the original, he was often photographed by himself. Not a single frame of that film was wasted. Here, there are plenty of scenes that could have been left out or reordered and it wouldn't have made a difference. The last act relies too much on coincidence. The comedic tone doesn't really fit. The granddaughter should have been more like Laurie from the original but she doesn't really do much of anything until the very end. It was a good film in some respects, but so disappointing in how it could have been much better.

Hereditary totally collapsed at the end. Terrific film up until the last act however.

by Anonymousreply 40January 8, 2019 2:28 AM

R40 The two journalists don't really serve much of a purpose other than giving Michael his mask. Myers could have easily escaped the hospital with the mask.

by Anonymousreply 41January 8, 2019 2:31 AM

[quote] those who say that stupid assed movie with Julie Christie about some walls that shake from 1950 are pressed for horror. they probably get scared by their own shadows.

You're probably thinking of Julie Harris and the movie The Haunting.

by Anonymousreply 42January 8, 2019 2:34 AM

I enjoyed almost all of the movies mentioned with the exception of Happy Death Day and The Quiet Place. Some of my favorites include Night of the Living Dead, Phantasm, The Funhouse, Hellraiser, Zombie, Texas Chainsaw, Tourist Trap, etc... My horror list is endless.

by Anonymousreply 43January 8, 2019 2:41 AM

R40 Hereditary s major mistake was not leaving the film open to interpretation and creating that very specific ending . I think it would have been far more provocative had they implied that yes, the supernatural could be involved, but perhaps Colettes character had simply gone insane, ie had succumbed to "hereditary " mental illness. Much of the film is very good however.

by Anonymousreply 44January 8, 2019 2:41 AM

Paranormal Activity 3 scared the shit outta me.

by Anonymousreply 45January 8, 2019 2:43 AM

The Shining

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46January 8, 2019 3:09 AM

When I was a kid I saw quite a few movies late at night on TV that scared the living shit out of me. I don't know how well they'd hold up now:

The Legend Of Hell House

Let's Scare Jessica To Death

The Other

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47January 8, 2019 4:56 AM

[quote]those who say that stupid assed movie with Julie Christie about some walls that shake from 1950 are pressed for horror. they probably get scared by their own shadows.

Uh huh. If you experienced what Julie Harris and Claire Bloom experienced in "The Haunting", you'd poop your pants.

by Anonymousreply 48January 8, 2019 5:08 AM

Datalounge was full of threads this year of people loving both HEREDITARY and HALLOWEEN.

OP is probably just the shit-stirring, Bipolar Movie Maniac Troll.

It wouldn't accept anything less than unconditional, unanimous praise for the films. Because it's a twat.

by Anonymousreply 49January 8, 2019 7:30 AM

[quote]I LOVE Hellraiser 1 and 2.

[quote]I'm scared to check out that franchise because of how gory it is.

And to think you hesitated...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50January 8, 2019 7:38 AM

The Endless on Netflix is really well done and acted. It’s about cults and how you can’t leave them.

by Anonymousreply 51January 8, 2019 7:45 AM

OP was asking about 2018, losers.

HEREDITARY was excellent; HALLOWEEN was ho-hum but one of the best of that largely shitty franchise.

Next to HEREDITARY, I think John Krasinski's A QUIET PLACE is the best horror film of the year.

THE HAUNTING OF HILL HOUSE received rave reviews and the original is a horror classic.

The SUSPIRIA remake is awesome to me -- not so much for the scares but for the bold creativity and dramatic craftsmanship. It's unlike anything you've ever seen -- including the original. You have to see it because it's such a trip. It feels like a movie from the '70s, it's so trippy and out there.

Though it's more of a character study, the final scene of MY FRIEND DAHMER gets really fucking creepy. It's an excellent movie and solidifies Alex Wolff's crown as Scream King of 2018 after his work in HEREDITARY.

Yes, BIRD BOX is mostly good, though there are more heavy-handed contrivances than it needs.

I liked HELL FEST, especially for the beefcake.

INSIDIOUS: THE LAST KEY was adequate. SUMMER OF '84 is good -- though it may give you STRANGER THINGS/ IT fatigue.

If you want to consider UPGRADE horror, then it's one of the best films of the year. But I consider it sci-fi.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52January 8, 2019 7:46 AM

R35 I didn't mind it either. I think the tunnels thing rubbed a lot of fans the wrong way.

R36 I don't think Blumhouse was involved with Rob Zombie's version.

R43 what didn't you enjoy about Happy Death Day and A Quiet Place?

R50 I ain't clicking on that. I have a feeling that maggots are in the video you posted.

by Anonymousreply 53January 8, 2019 8:23 AM

R52 I’m watching Hell Fest right now. I don’t see any beefcake.

by Anonymousreply 54January 8, 2019 2:50 PM

Halloween is fantastic. It’s got a near-80% RT rating for a reason. And Blumhouse pulled off the rewrite of the century, because if they hadn’t changed that ending the film would’ve been a disaster. I would absolutely hate it with that original ending. In fact they completely changed the script so many times over the course of production that I figured we’d have a mess on our hands. They made it work, however, and that makes the movie even more impressive to me.

by Anonymousreply 55January 8, 2019 3:04 PM

R55 Are you talking about the ending where Michael runs away. How is that much worse than what we got? They still set up a sequel. The film definitely needed more rewrites. There were way too many characters.

by Anonymousreply 56January 8, 2019 4:18 PM

[quote] what didn't you enjoy about Happy Death Day and A Quiet Place?

"Happy Death Day" seemed like more of a horror/comedy made for teens and college freshmen. Very tame.

"A Quiet Place" was too tailor-made for the masses, more of a "family friendly" horror film and I felt there was too much emphasis placed on family values, unlike "Hereditary" which is the complete opposite. I felt the same way about the remake of "It" which was one of THE worst horror films I have ever seen. I've been watching horror films for years. I like most of them I see, but when I start to feel that they've been watered down for the masses or family night at the movies I immediately lose interest.

by Anonymousreply 57January 8, 2019 4:31 PM

Things that would have fixed Halloween for me. Obviously spoilers galore:

Get rid of the journalists. Introduce Michael at the hospital. Have Sartain play tapes of Loomis in front of Michael. Sartain helps Michael escape but gets killed in the process.

Have much more of Michael's return to Haddonfield be told from Allyson's POV, much like Laurie in the original.

Have Michael stalk his victims rather that wandering aimlessly or showing up out of nowhere.

Either remove or establish a purpose for the peripheral characters, namely Allyson's dad and boyfriend.

Have an ending where Laurie or Myers dies for real. I know this would wreck plans for a sequel but it would have been more satisfying in the context of this movie.

by Anonymousreply 58January 8, 2019 4:31 PM

Also you didn't need Sartain to bring Laurie and Michael together. You already had Allyson.

by Anonymousreply 59January 8, 2019 4:34 PM

Grave Encounters.... what a scary creepy film. If its still on Netflix, watch it

by Anonymousreply 60January 8, 2019 4:34 PM

Martha Marcy May Marlene

More of a psychological horror but very scary

by Anonymousreply 61January 8, 2019 4:35 PM

Cabin in the Woods

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62January 8, 2019 4:38 PM

[quote]Did you the Alexandra Aja's remake of The Hills Have Eyes?

Yeah, this was a fucking terrifying movie. I had to watch it in two parts over consecutive days it scared me so much.

by Anonymousreply 63January 8, 2019 4:41 PM

I liked the HILLS HAVE EYES remake much better than the original. And I'm a big Wes Craven fan.

The original is just too cheap.

by Anonymousreply 64January 8, 2019 5:15 PM

So, only a muscle zombie park worker shows painted beefcake in HELL FEST.

But the cast is full of cute boys and beefcake barely restrained by skin-tight T-shirts. Not to mention, it's an effective thriller.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65January 8, 2019 5:19 PM

I'm sad to hear r57 isn't into horror comedies. FYI, there are plenty of great horror-comedies that are much edgier and violent for adults, such as CABIN IN THE WOODS, EVIL DEAD, BRIDE OF CHUCKY/SEED OF CHUCKY, DEAD ALIVE, BAD BIOLOGY and more.

But HAPPY DEATH DAY rocked and I can't wait for the sequel.

by Anonymousreply 66January 8, 2019 5:23 PM

R66 I don't mind horror comedies. I just didn't like HAPPY DEATH DAY. There's virtually no gore...and very little violence in general, especially for a movie about a girl repeatedly stabbed, shot, beat, and bludgeoned to death. I wouldn't even consider it a horror movie.

by Anonymousreply 67January 8, 2019 5:30 PM

R67 I don't really consider it a horror movie either. I see it as a dark comedy in the vein of Heathers and enjoy it in that respect.

by Anonymousreply 68January 8, 2019 5:32 PM

OP, if you like movies with a nightmarish quality and don't necessarily need gore, here's some black and white films you might want to try:

The Black Scorpion (1957) - IMO, you won't find better effects for a "giant bug" movie than this one. For it's time, some of the attack scenes are still pretty violent. Considered a remake of "Them!"

X- The Unknown (1955) - Hammer Films mix of gothic horror/sci-fi that also had some graphic for its time violence that still holds up.

Caltiki - The Immortal Monster (1959): Mario Bava's own Blob movie. Again, really graphic for its time.

You said you didn't want classics. None of these are The Haunting, but they're very good in their own right.

by Anonymousreply 69January 8, 2019 5:35 PM

While not strictly horror, I thought Overlord was one of the best movies of the year. Don't let the trailers fool you. The movie is unsettling in parts. The action is great too. The opening helicopter sequence was one of the most exciting sequences I've seen in the theater in years.

by Anonymousreply 70January 8, 2019 5:41 PM

Well then you must have been scared shitless by 1 and 2, R45, because they were all the same unscary fucking movie.

by Anonymousreply 71January 8, 2019 5:51 PM

I think the Fourth Kind with Milla Jovovich doesn't get enough credit. I thought it was brilliant! Perhaps the best horror film of the last decade.

Speaking of horror comedies, I really enjoyed Happy Death Day and Mama.

by Anonymousreply 72January 8, 2019 6:04 PM

Mama wasn't a comedy.

by Anonymousreply 73January 8, 2019 10:01 PM

R73 are you kidding? It was hilarious, perhaps unintentionally.

by Anonymousreply 74January 8, 2019 10:06 PM

R61 I mostly found that movie depression more than anything.

by Anonymousreply 75January 9, 2019 12:17 AM

*depressing

by Anonymousreply 76January 9, 2019 12:21 AM

R64 The original HIlls Have Eyes still holds up rather well. The ending with the dog is a bit goofy but overall its still very intense. The remake is more technically competent but I wouldn't say it's much better than the original. All the scenes that Aja took from the original were done just as well the first time around. Last House on the Left, on the other hand, doesn't hold up that well at all.

by Anonymousreply 77January 9, 2019 12:46 AM

Naw, Hills Have Eyes '77 was cheap.

The remake had much richer production values, monster and makeup design, direction and story development.

by Anonymousreply 78January 9, 2019 1:06 AM

What is wrong with horror comedies is hard to do comedy and horror at the same time and few directors can pull it off like in Happy Death Day you knew it was going to start over.

R52 although I didn’t agree with you about Hell Fest (did get better towards the end ) I did like My Friend Dahmer a film I avoided until now there was real suspense when he kept asking his friend to come inside for a beer. I knew the friend was based on the guy who did the comic book but I still thought he could die. I also was surprised how gay it was with two classic gay porn situations. A doctor’s examine and picking up a hitchhiker that looks like a super model. I wonder how much really happened.

by Anonymousreply 79January 9, 2019 4:29 PM

Horror movies today have no real scares anymore, they are "jump" scares, all quiet than BOOM music cue. It's tiresome.

by Anonymousreply 80January 9, 2019 4:44 PM

The remake of "Hills Have Eyes" relied too much on overly gross makeups for the mutants. There was nothing believable at all about the mutations in that movie.

by Anonymousreply 81January 9, 2019 7:17 PM

[QUOTE]Horror movies today have no real scares anymore, they are "jump" scares, all quiet than BOOM music cue. It's tiresome.

Well James Wan does a masterful job of it with those Conjuring movies. It’s more than a jump scare, he does a lot of work setting things up in your mind to make you dread what’s coming. And you actually care for the characters in these movies, something that’s very hard to do. If it was just about loud noises then anybody could do it.

by Anonymousreply 82January 9, 2019 7:34 PM

Yeah, except those Conjuring movies suck. The first one, where the mother gets possessed, was one of the biggest laughs I had in a long time.

by Anonymousreply 83January 9, 2019 7:40 PM

I haven't seen The Conjuring movies but I watched the scene with nun. And if I were Vera Farmiga, there is no fucking way I would follow it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84January 9, 2019 10:25 PM

I miss the old days of Chucky and Omen.

by Anonymousreply 85January 9, 2019 10:28 PM

The Conjuring movies are supposed to be derivative, but they are well made and came out at a time when not a lot of those films were being produced. Plus, they appeal to a lot of non horror fans who can't stomach any gore. That said, Insidious was the best of these by a large margin.

by Anonymousreply 86January 9, 2019 10:43 PM

R86 Yes on Insidious. I liked the sequel too. I'll never forget the sequence where the tiny Tim song plays while rose byrnes character is right outside the house. Genuinely creepy.

by Anonymousreply 87January 9, 2019 11:05 PM

We have some disingenuous contrarians on this thread -- probably the same maniac who played rote devil's advocate on the HALLOWEEN threads.

by Anonymousreply 88January 10, 2019 4:38 PM

Yeah, the Conjuring movies are instant classics. Universally praised. The only way you might not enjoy them is if you watched the films in broad daylight on a little TV screen or if you’re strictly a slasher fan and can’t appreciate other horror fare.

by Anonymousreply 89January 10, 2019 4:41 PM

You guys are really ignorant if you thought "not a lot of those films were being produced" when CONJURING came out.

Blum started with like, 7 PARANORMAL ACTIVITY movies that involved mediums before he churned out the CONJURING and INSIDIOUS spin-offs.

Plus, there was a new exorcism movie every month coming out back then.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90January 10, 2019 4:42 PM

Yeah, whoever made that statement was wrong. But the Conjuring films are a cut above the rest. Well directed with great story telling. That’s what separated them from the pack. A lot of those other movies really are nothing but a series of jump scares, which someone accused the Conjuring of being (but they’re wrong).

by Anonymousreply 91January 10, 2019 4:46 PM

The Conjuring films are reminiscent of the movies from the 70s and 80s like The Entity, Poltergiest, and The Amityville Horror. The PA films are part of the found footage genre. They aren't that similar. In fact, they came around the time when found footage was waning in popularity.

by Anonymousreply 92January 10, 2019 4:54 PM

R88 Halloween was good but it should have been great given the talent in front of and behind the camera.

by Anonymousreply 93January 10, 2019 4:59 PM

I'm loving the Conjuring/Annabelle/Nun series of movies. The Warrens used to lecture around where I'd grown up and I find them fascinating, charlatans but still interesting. I also liked that they worked backwards largely as have most successful horror series of late.

Paranormal Activity is another example, as is the Insidious series.

The Saw franchise was well done for a series that started from pennies and a prayer to blowing up the box office.

Also, thought Unfriended was strangely interesting, totally didn't expect to get into that one but it was oddly engaging.

Theres all of the recent horror I have seen, and enjoyed.

As far as remakes Rob Zombies Halloween 1 was good, too much origin on Michael and the sequel was crap.

by Anonymousreply 94January 10, 2019 5:09 PM

I don't understand the critical bashing of the Unfriended movies. I thought both were excellent.

by Anonymousreply 95January 10, 2019 5:13 PM

When the first Unfriended came out, people said it was crap. However, when the second one came out, people were saying it wasn't as good as the first. Strange reception.

by Anonymousreply 96January 10, 2019 5:14 PM

They meant that it was an even bigger piece of crap.

by Anonymousreply 97January 10, 2019 5:18 PM

Why aren't hoards of reporters following Mitch McConnell's every move making his life miserable?

by Anonymousreply 98January 10, 2019 5:22 PM

As far as the Suspiria remake goes, a few thoughts without giving away too many spoilers...

- Dakota Johnson and Mia Goth were absolutely outstanding in this, and the cameo by Jessica Harper was delightful. - Tilda Swinton was amazing as usual, but her performance as a male was horribly distracting with all that makeup. - As far as comparison's to Argento's use of color, this film more or less chickened out by going all drab like that. The ending only slightly attempts to go into full on Argento mode in terms of lighting.

by Anonymousreply 99January 10, 2019 5:28 PM

Hostel is one of the best scary movies that I have ever watched

by Anonymousreply 100January 10, 2019 5:49 PM

But nothing beats A Nightmare on Elm Street.

by Anonymousreply 101January 10, 2019 6:04 PM

Fright Night

The Birds

Psycho

The Hitcher ( original, with Rutger Hauer)

by Anonymousreply 102January 10, 2019 6:09 PM

Recently, I'd say The Invitation was pretty intense. I wasn't expecting much, but it's one of the best and most classic horror films I've seen in years. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time.

Get Out, while overhyped (it's pretty much The Stepford Wives meets The Skeleton Key, so if this deserves Oscar noms, so do those), was pretty solid.

I really love the Malevolence trilogy. They're some of the closest things I've seen to capturing the feel of the original Halloween (David Gordon Green and Danny McBride should have watched these and taken some notes).

I loved Hereditary, but I do think the last 5-10 minutes sorta put a damper on things. Everything seems wrapped up so neatly and it turns into one of those made for TV 70's Satanic panic movies.

The Unfriended movies are shockingly fun and do some creative things with their concepts. I also really enjoyed The Neon Demon (but it's very style over substance). There was a no budget indie I stumbled upon on Amazon a few months ago called Blessed Are the Children that really creeped me out. It's really rough around the edges and some of the acting isn't great, but it actually surprised me and I can't tell you how rare that is these days. It's about religious fanatics that go after women who have gotten abortions (and their friends/family/boyfriends/etc.) I even jumped a few times, which I rarely do anymore. Still, your enjoyment will depend on your tolerance for super low budget movies and all that comes with them.

If we're talking older movies, you can't go wrong with The Haunting, Repulsion, Rosemary's Baby, The Sentinel, The Stepford Wives, Halloween, Carnival of Souls, Let's Scare Jessica To Death, Silent Scream, The Burning, Candyman, Scream, Trilogy of Terror, My Bloody Valentine, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Sleepaway Camp, Carrie, Dressed to Kill, Visiting Hours, etc. All very good (and even creepy/scary) movies.

by Anonymousreply 103January 10, 2019 7:57 PM

Just want to put a recommendation down for The Clovehitch Killer. I literally gasped out loud a few times. Very well done with an ending that will inspire lots of discussion.

by Anonymousreply 104January 10, 2019 8:03 PM

Body Snatchers....the 1993 version that takes place on an army base....with Meg Tilly and Billy Wirth.....I watched it yesterday and forgot how good it actually was.

by Anonymousreply 105January 10, 2019 8:08 PM

R 103 Other than your views on Halloween 2018 (LOVED IT, and I love it more with each viewing) I agree with all of your choices. I COMPLETELY agree about Hereditary (I actually found it as frightening in tone as The Exorcist, but didn't love the ending)

Loved that you mentioned Visiting Hours starring the lovely Lee Grant!!!

And frankly, The Stepford Wives (Original) has some of my favorite scenes in film history, not just horror films. Especially the scene with Joanna and her psychiatrist- I find it to be one of the most effectively done scenes I have ever watched. Very surprised at the lack of respect for The Stepford Wives on a film level.

by Anonymousreply 106January 10, 2019 8:09 PM

Has no one screamed that that piece of shit "House of the Devil" is the scariest thing ever yet? The undemanding usually do.

by Anonymousreply 107January 10, 2019 8:09 PM

r103 is pretty clueless about HEREDITARY.

It's not about Satan or real demons at all. It's about schizophrenia patients, like THE BABADOOK, and it's brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 108January 10, 2019 8:17 PM

As Above So Below/Sinister/The Ruins

by Anonymousreply 109January 10, 2019 8:17 PM

The Ruins is ridiculous camp.

I don't want to spoil it for people, but there's this moment when they find a peculiar noisemaker and I busted out laughing.

by Anonymousreply 110January 10, 2019 8:22 PM

JESUS, R103!!! Are you back again!!!!???? The writer-director has stated WITHOUT A DOUBT that "Hereditary" is actually about demons and that everything you see on the screen is happening, it is not made up in someone's mind or representative of anything. Accept it and get on with your life.

by Anonymousreply 111January 10, 2019 8:25 PM

What did R103 say that was so bad R111?

Oh shit, and I want to agree with R103 that The Invitation was awesome. That was one of the best surprise good movies I have seen in years. It really delivers.

Its the same woman who directed Destroyer, I think

by Anonymousreply 112January 10, 2019 8:31 PM

Whoops, R112! The tirade at R111 was for R108. Mea Culpa. When "Hereditary" was discussed earlier (months ago) there was a poster who insisted continuously that it was all symbolic of mental illness even though he was given links to interviews with the writer/director stating that it is a straight up horror movie and that what you see is what you get-nothing is symbolic of anything. It's annoying that he's still pushing that garbage and then acting like he has some insight when he is totally in the wrong.

by Anonymousreply 113January 10, 2019 9:20 PM

Actually I think it would be a better movie if the nut was right but the director has said everything we see on the screen is actually happening.

by Anonymousreply 114January 10, 2019 10:01 PM

I don’t like the genre and feel as if these movies fall flat with me generally. The only one I’ve ever liked or connected with is barely-a-horror Fangoria-tribute BRAINSCAN with young Eddie Furlong alongside Frank Langhella & T. Ryder Smith.

It’s more slightly-offputting and schlocky than scary at all, but I find it curious enough to repeat-watch. The premise and some of the devices are strangely prescient now, like a voice-command computer-phone system Furlong’s character has.

Aptly this film’s lead character chiefs a horror movie appreciation fanclub, who in Act 1 convene to see a fake grindhouse called DEATH, DEATH, DEATH Pt. II.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115January 10, 2019 10:12 PM

Nicole has once again latched on to a director who hasn’t repeated the success of their first picture. Everything I read about Destroyer is meh.

There is a scene in The Inivation that I can’t stop thinking about. At the dinner party they are shown a creepy video and a recently tenured college professor is uncomfortable and wants to go home. They try to talk her out of it she still leaves. She is in the process of driving away she is smart to know to leave but not smart enough to lock her door when someone who has confessed to going to jail for killing his wife. You see the man open her door and that's it. We have to use our imagination to what happened.

by Anonymousreply 116January 10, 2019 10:15 PM

I thought Hereditary was a great slow burn that could have gone in the direction of "it's all in her head", but the last 10 minutes made it abundantly clear it wasn't in her head. It's like Rosemary's Baby in that respect. It really could have been a woman going insane, but the finale shows that she was right all along.

by Anonymousreply 117January 10, 2019 11:40 PM

That scene in The Invitation has haunted me, too. Such a truly creepy, unnerving movie. My stomach was in my throat the entire time.

by Anonymousreply 118January 10, 2019 11:41 PM

R117 I wish they had made it in her head or at least left it up to interpretation. The film is a lot lesser because of it, not only because it explains too much, but because the explanation itself is utterly ridiculous. It's not often where I end up watching a film and am absolutely riveted throughout the majority of its runtime but then leave the theater feeling ambivalent.

by Anonymousreply 119January 10, 2019 11:49 PM

I'm genuinely surprised a lot of mainstream audiences didn't like Hereditary, because the ending seemed geared towards them more than the arthouse crowd. It was this really moody, creepy, brilliantly acted, and haunted film for almost 2 hrs and then it drops the ball in the last 5/10 minutes and becomes the complete opposite of what it's been for the previous 2 hrs. I was disappointed, but it's still one of the most disturbing and horrific movies I've seen in years. I haven't been able to get it out of my head since I saw it in June and that rarely ever happens, so it did something right.

I'm honestly trying to think about what a better ending would have been for that movie. It feels like they came up with it on the spot or something. Can anyone else figure out a better ending? I'm having a hard time thinking of a more interesting and ambiguous wrap up.

by Anonymousreply 120January 11, 2019 1:39 AM

We’ll keep the part the creepy sister takes over her brothers body. Toni sees her son floating to the attic she runs to her husband who is dead. She tries to flee until someone from behind her gives her a shot. She wakes up to what appears to be a hospital and restrained to the bed. A doctor is lying to her and he leaves to talk to a concerned Ann Dowd. The end.

by Anonymousreply 121January 11, 2019 2:28 AM

Im pleasantly surprised to see so many other posters mention The Invitation. For some reason I had the impression that very few people saw it. I love films that capture the beauty and creepiness of California. That last scene when you realize how widespread involvement with the cult was ,is pretty crazy.

by Anonymousreply 122January 11, 2019 2:33 AM

R121 I'm not r120 but I think that your version would have been a better ending. There is much in the film that suggests psychological causes of everything that happens so the ending was kind of left field. There were so many intense and shocking moments. I really believed that Colettes character had simply gone nuts. There is a scene in the hallway where she is babbling hysterically to her husband (Gabriel Byrne ) and I really thought during that moment that it was clear that the character was supposed to be crazy. I also thought during that scene that Gabriel Byrnes character was about to beat the living crap out of her. Just something about the expression on his face.

by Anonymousreply 123January 11, 2019 2:39 AM

Some good ones in recent years: "Super Dark Times". "They Look Like People". "I Am Not A Serial Killer". "Triangle". "The Endless" (and it's original film "Resolution"). "The Descent". "The Void". "Hold The Dark". "Black Mountain Side". "YellowBrickRoad". "Dead Snow". "Dead Snow 2".

by Anonymousreply 124January 11, 2019 3:10 AM

Oh, and "Creep" and "Creep 2"!

by Anonymousreply 125January 11, 2019 3:12 AM

Super Dark Times is a good film but I don’t know about it being a horor film.

by Anonymousreply 126January 11, 2019 3:19 AM

[Quote] The Saw franchise was well done for a series that started from pennies and a prayer to blowing up the box office.

They should've stopped after the third. The first movie doesn't really hold up.

[Quote] Also, thought Unfriended was strangely interesting, totally didn't expect to get into that one but it was oddly engaging.

I missed out on some info when i saw it at the movies (like Laura's uncle). It really was made for viewing on a laptop.

[Quote] Fright Night

I hope you mean the original and not the remake.

[Quote] Body Snatchers....the 1993 version that takes place on an army base....with Meg Tilly and Billy Wirth.....I watched it yesterday and forgot how good it actually was.

Even if it was the most terrible horror movie on the earth, i would still watch it because Billy Wirth was so hot in it lol

[Quote] And frankly, The Stepford Wives (Original) has some of my favorite scenes in film history, not just horror films.

I haven't seen the original but i can't believe how much they botched up the remake with Nicole K.

[Quote] The Ruins is ridiculous camp.

The Ruins was more gross than scary.

[Quote] There is a scene in The Inivation that I can’t stop thinking about. At the dinner party they are shown a creepy video and a recently tenured college professor is uncomfortable and wants to go home. They try to talk her out of it she still leaves.

I don't understand why she was the only one wanting to leave after that particular scene. And there's an article on Bloody Disgusting about her fate.

by Anonymousreply 127January 11, 2019 12:22 PM

Here’s the link. It doesn’t really explain anything I didn’t know although they did film a scene what happened to Claire. The scene reminded me of Tom Skerritt in Alien.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128January 11, 2019 1:15 PM

It sucks that Karyn Kusama is only now starting to take off. I didn't think Aeon Flux was [italic]that[/italic] bad. And i quite enjoyed Jennifer's Body.

I've been wanting to check out Brainscan for ages. It sounds more funny than scary.

by Anonymousreply 129January 11, 2019 1:24 PM

R129 dude BRAINSCAN is hilarious.

If you need some good chucks check out the We Hate Movies Podcast commentary for the movie. It’s an MST3K-style breakdown of everything wrong with it, and it’s glorious. My favorite Bit is either the gag about the villain Trickster having an offscreen Intern named Jeremy who mails out trial CDROMs to unsuspecting households, or Unemployed Frank Langhella turning to PD work as a side gig.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130January 11, 2019 1:39 PM

I thought Flatliners and The Possession of Hannah Grace were really good.

by Anonymousreply 131January 11, 2019 1:40 PM

R130 Way ahead of you. I already listen to their podcast and Brainscan is one of my faves. The Jeremy bits were great.

by Anonymousreply 132January 11, 2019 1:46 PM

I just remembered another great horror comedy - M. Night Shyamalan's The Visit. Who else loved it?

by Anonymousreply 133January 11, 2019 1:48 PM

R133 i enjoyed it. And i hadn't bothered with any of M Night's other movies since Signs.

by Anonymousreply 134January 11, 2019 1:55 PM

Going to ignore the classics, but of the recent ones The Conjuring series is one of the best. Yeah the possession at the end of it was over the top, but what possession scene isn't? If you're going to knock it for that, then you have to knock Exorcist for the spinning head/bile scene too, right?

I will say that the Nun didn't do it for me, and Conjuring 2 wasn't all that great.

Insidious was good, but again the last one wasn't as good. I think both series are becoming dangerously close to jumping the shark.

Cabin in the woods, IMO was a great horror film with comedy AND a great premise of free will/determination underneath the top layer. That puts it immediately at the top of most horror films which brings no intellectual discussion/emotional aspect to it.

Drag Me to Hell was good in the old campy 80s style (no surprise, since it was done by Raimi).

Train to Busan is also a good zombie flick, probably the best of any modern zombie movies that's been released in the last couple of decades.

The original Saw and Sixth Sense (if we go a bit further back) are one of the newer "classics".

by Anonymousreply 135January 11, 2019 1:55 PM

I loved The clovehitch Killer. This is Dylan McDermott’s best performance. I guess we are to assume the last intended victim goes anlong with what the son and Nancy Drew does to the father.

by Anonymousreply 136January 11, 2019 1:56 PM

[Quote] Cabin in the woods, IMO was a great horror film with comedy AND a great premise of free will/determination underneath the top layer. That puts it immediately at the top of most horror films which brings no intellectual discussion/emotional aspect to it.

Bradley Whitford is great! The mermaid scene always cracks me up.

by Anonymousreply 137January 11, 2019 2:04 PM

r137 Richard Jenkins and Whitford were great. The gambling aspect, though tongue in cheek, was great. Really there's so many different layers on the film that deals with current social interactions/behavior.

by Anonymousreply 138January 11, 2019 2:26 PM

"We Are Still Here" was also quite good.

by Anonymousreply 139January 11, 2019 2:44 PM

I love Cabin in the Woods. What a terrific, original horror.

by Anonymousreply 140January 11, 2019 3:07 PM

Then why didn't you link to a legit media report quoting the director saying so "without a doubt," r111?

Are you the idiot from the HEREDITARY thread who carried on for 100 posts denying the possibility of hallucinations in HEREDITARY because you were too embarrassed to admit you're cinematically illiterate?

Don't lie to cover up your faults. Prove it, bitch!

by Anonymousreply 141January 11, 2019 4:32 PM

r113 is lying.

There are no links in the original HEREDITARY threads from any creative people who authored HEREDITARY ruling out a medical explanation for the events.

Nor anywhere on the internet.

R113 is a basic bitch who has no knowledge of medicine who I embarrassed in the thread, and she's STILL trying to save face, all these months later.

Read the original thread -- NO STATEMENTS FROM ARI ASTER.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142January 11, 2019 4:38 PM

I’m the one who provided link in another thread. I’m not going to do it again. The director doesn’t have to say without a doubt you are wrong. He may change his mind for the sequel since most hate the ending. Get over it.

I rented Pledge a highly rated by RT horror movie. All it was a frat of psychos who terrorized some new pledges. The lead characters were unattractive and only one character was good looking and not one of the bad guys. Movie was no fun and I don’t recommend it.

by Anonymousreply 143January 11, 2019 5:28 PM

I indeed posted a link from the director. I don’t know what thread but I did and I’m going to do it again. Think what you want. Maybe the mother character isn’t the only one who needs to go to a mental hospital.

by Anonymousreply 144January 11, 2019 5:32 PM

Not going to do it again

by Anonymousreply 145January 11, 2019 5:34 PM

145 posts and nobody mentioned the modern classic Jeepers Creepers?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146January 11, 2019 5:41 PM

Jeepers Creepers (creepy pedo writer/director notwithstanding) was terrifying for about the first hour. I thought it got silly once he turned into a winged creature. I hated the sequel. Still, that first hour was genuinely bone chilling.

Karyn Kusama has been on my watch list since Jennifer's Body (which I adored) and The Invitation was just plain masterful. Looking forward to Destroyer. I hope she keeps it up, because she's insanely talented.

by Anonymousreply 147January 11, 2019 6:15 PM

Agree with R124, The Descent and Super Dark Times are pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 148January 11, 2019 8:35 PM

I love Cabin in the Woods; the bored bureaucrats doing the Devil's work just seemed perfect.

I liked the Devil's Backbone. Granted, it's less a traditional "horror" movie and more about the Spanish Civil War, but the beginning monologue about what's a ghost was very well done.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149January 11, 2019 11:01 PM

I liked Devil....with Logan Marshall-Green

by Anonymousreply 150January 11, 2019 11:05 PM

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari. It's so artistic and strange.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151January 12, 2019 12:00 AM

I had a few problems with Cabin in the Woods mostly why would the bureaucrats be acting like they were presiding over a football game but in fact the fate of the world was at risk ?

by Anonymousreply 152January 12, 2019 12:45 AM

The classic Alien and the more recent Ex Machina are two of my favorite sci-fi horror films. Both way better than Jason X.

by Anonymousreply 153January 12, 2019 1:05 AM

Probably won't get much love here, but I loved / hated Event Horizon. I went in expecting some regular sci-fi movie, and then it turns into this gory supernatural death-fest with people pulling out their own eyeballs.

by Anonymousreply 154January 12, 2019 1:07 AM

Ex Machina was wack. I’m glad I saw it for free and didn’t pay for it. Jason X is a way better movie than that garbage. I’ll probably never see Ex Machina again but I watch Jason X during Friday the 13th marathons all the time. It’s fun.

by Anonymousreply 155January 12, 2019 2:27 AM

Joshua with Sam Rockwell and Vera Farmiga. Seriously underrated, and leaves a lot open to interpretation. I think it deserves more of a cult following, it's a very good and provocative film.

by Anonymousreply 156January 12, 2019 2:31 AM

R152

Because it was a routine for them. It was nothing special. Hence their betting game, party, tequila, etc. I think it was a nice touch. Loved this aspecf of the movie. This boredom of evil.

by Anonymousreply 157January 12, 2019 2:46 AM

The Sentinel. And when I want bat shit crazy The Manitou

by Anonymousreply 158January 12, 2019 3:15 AM

For Horror Comedy (or more properly RomZomCom), Shaun of the Dead. As well as Cabin in the Woods.

28 Days Later

[rec]

Haute Tension (even though the ending was ludicrous)

A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night (sort of French New Wave Horror)-too bad the director didn’t do anything else of note

May

We Are What We Are (Mexican version)

I hated the ending of Hereditary, starting at the please please please please scène. It’s a bad Mephisto Waltz.

My classics are Carpenter’s The Thing, American Werewolf in London, original Fright Night, Dead Alive

While it’s not a horror movie, the Korean Old Boy illicits more shocks, dread and tension than most horror films.

Glad to see the love for the first Saw, the Insidious franchise and the Conjuring franchise.

by Anonymousreply 159January 12, 2019 3:53 AM

Thank you to those who recommended The Invitation and The Clovehitch Killer, I just watched both and they were really well done.

by Anonymousreply 160January 12, 2019 5:07 AM

The horror film genre in Hollywood needs a renaissance as its become very predictable with an increasing number of horror films indistinguishable from comedy films IE unintentionally funny.

by Anonymousreply 161January 12, 2019 6:20 AM

This scene from Jeepers Creepers still freaks me out. I didn't mind the sequel. I haven't checked out the third movie. Is it any good?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162January 12, 2019 6:31 AM

[Quote] Both way better than Jason X.

Most horror movies are but i'll still take it over part 9.

[Quote] Probably won't get much love here, but I loved / hated Event Horizon.

I think i lasted 5 minutes before turning it off. I was too chicken shit to continue.

[Quote] Joshua with Sam Rockwell and Vera Farmiga.

That movie pissed me off.

by Anonymousreply 163January 12, 2019 11:07 AM

Audition. Terrific japanese horror. Highly recommended.

Also original The Ring - japanese Ringu. For me it was much scarier than american version.

by Anonymousreply 164January 12, 2019 11:10 AM

Has anyone checked out that Ring vs Grudge movie??

by Anonymousreply 165January 12, 2019 11:28 AM

[QUOTE] I haven't checked out the third movie. Is it any good?

Not at all.

by Anonymousreply 166January 12, 2019 1:46 PM

The Exorcist.

Rosemary's Baby

CLASSICS!

by Anonymousreply 167January 12, 2019 2:25 PM

The Sentinel is a good one. That movie scared the shit out of me. There's some camp sprinkled in there (like Beverly D'Angelo as the mute lesbian who just randomly and angrily masturbates in front of random house guests), but it's a strange, disturbing little movie. The scene where the lead encounters the corpse of her father in the middle of the night is one of the scariest sequences I've ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 168January 12, 2019 4:36 PM

Alice Sweet Alice is a terrific movie that a lot of people don't talk about. Lots of Catholic guilt, repression, and a dash of Italian giallo even though it was shot in New Jersey. It's a hard movie to get out of your head after you've seen it.

The Redeemer (a.k.a. Class Reunion Massacre) is pretty wild if you like your horror movies on the surreal side. The set up sounds normal enough (a group of former classmates are invited to a class reunion at their abandoned high school, but it turns out to be a clever ruse to get them alone and kill them off, one by one), but I really can't explain to you how crazy this movie gets. It's like being stuck in someone's nightmare. The killer wears all these weird disguises and is so over the top that you really do feel like he just broke out of a mental ward somewhere. It must been seen to be believed.

Last time I checked, both movies were on Amazon Prime. I can't vouch for the quality of the prints they're using since they seem to have sorta slipped into semi-public domain and no one can locate a decent print of either of them.

by Anonymousreply 169January 12, 2019 4:41 PM

I do have a soft spot for the Original Blair Witch project film from 1999.

by Anonymousreply 170January 12, 2019 4:59 PM

R170

I think it's a great horror movie. Classic.

by Anonymousreply 171January 12, 2019 5:12 PM

r171 Did you like the more recent one ?2016 I think ?Or did it lose some of its amateur or novice non mainstream charm?

by Anonymousreply 172January 12, 2019 5:17 PM

REC - the Spanish version

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173January 12, 2019 5:32 PM

R172

I didnt like the recent one. And i didnt like any of the sequels. Only like the original. Re watched it couple of months ago and it still scared the hell out of me.

I don't remember much about recent one, but it had the same problem as many modern horror movies. It showed too much. Too much gore, too much special effects, etc.

by Anonymousreply 174January 12, 2019 5:33 PM

The Innocents

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175January 12, 2019 5:48 PM

The Changeling

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176January 12, 2019 5:51 PM

Yes r174 It is like they are trying too hard and losing authenticity in the process and creative originality.

by Anonymousreply 177January 12, 2019 6:06 PM

Primer was really frightening imo - maybe more "Sci Fi"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178January 12, 2019 6:33 PM

The Innocents and Carnival of Souls always give me a serious case of the heebie jeebies.

by Anonymousreply 179January 12, 2019 6:36 PM

I thought the Sci Fi horror film Life starring Jake G and Ryan Reynolds was pretty good and very unnervingly gory in parts.

by Anonymousreply 180January 12, 2019 6:36 PM

It's cheesy but the original Subspecies has a place in my heart, I love how it was filmed in actual ruins in eastern Euro locations. It made me want to take a girl's trip to Transylvania and sleep in a haunted convent, at the very least.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181January 12, 2019 7:08 PM

I just watched this British film called THE LITTLE STRANGER, starring Domhnall Gleason, Ruth Wilson, and Charlotte Rampling about some strange goings on at a post-WWII upper class mansion. It's based on a book by Sarah Waters, author of the lesbian classic TIPPING THE VELVET.

Didn't read the book, but the film is disappointing not really because its a very slow burn, but because the two main characters are rather dull and dreary, and the film is more of a metaphor of the crumbling of the traditional upper classes after that war and the rise of middle/working class. Not really a thriller in the traditional sense, though the coming attractions certainly sold it that way. The director is the guy who made ROOM.

The first CONJURING is a lot of fun, but the second one is overlong and wears out its welcome.

THE INNOCENTS is a masterpiece.

by Anonymousreply 182January 12, 2019 8:25 PM

I love too many to list. But recently I've been thinking about how franchises I love, like Saw and Final Destination. I think all their movies are fun because the their formulas just work, every time. There hasn't been a new Final Destination movie in a while so I googled if one's coming up, and unfortunately, the series may have ended for good because FD were too expensive. The elaborate crash scene that opens one of them took 5 weeks to shoot and cost 20 million. Most horror movies can be made for far less, so FD movies can't compete anymore.

by Anonymousreply 183January 12, 2019 10:03 PM

I really enjoyed the Final Destination movies except the 4th one. I think it was the 4th one. It was in 3D and the big inciting incident was at a Nascar game or something. For some reason, it just didn't have the magic of the others. I remember the 5th one being a good return to form and a nice way to end the franchise.

by Anonymousreply 184January 12, 2019 10:16 PM

R184 is my Horror Spirit Twin. I was thinking to today after reading about the reboot coming of Final Destination, that I loved them all but that Nascar one!!

by Anonymousreply 185January 12, 2019 10:21 PM

I'm a big fan of bad horror movies, modern and old, any recommendations?

by Anonymousreply 186January 12, 2019 10:24 PM

R186, any Mexican horror film featuring an Aztec mummy will do.

by Anonymousreply 187January 12, 2019 10:27 PM

Yeah, I'm just reading Final Destination wiki page and apparently there was a reboot just announced. It was the black guy who plays the coroner in all the movies, who recently said he doubted there would be another sequel because of the expense. I don't think I've seen the amusement park one (3) or the Nascar (4) one yet. #5 was the only one that gets a fresh review on Rotten Tomatoes (62%,) but really these kinds of movies are critic-proof if you love the concept.

by Anonymousreply 188January 12, 2019 10:33 PM

Zodiac is the only movie that has scared me within the last 15 years.

by Anonymousreply 189January 12, 2019 10:34 PM

Zodiac puts me to sleep.

by Anonymousreply 190January 12, 2019 10:47 PM

I'm curious about the upcoming Velvet Buzzsaw with Jake Gyllenhaal. The trailer looks promising.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 191January 12, 2019 10:47 PM

[quote]Hostel is one of the best scary movies that I have ever watched

Silly boring torture porn.

by Anonymousreply 192January 12, 2019 10:50 PM

[quote]I'm curious about the upcoming Velvet Buzzsaw with Jake Gyllenhaal. The trailer looks promising.

Why? Christ, You just saw the whole movie in the trailer. Who ever OK'd that should be fired.

by Anonymousreply 193January 12, 2019 10:54 PM

Jeepers Creepers

by Anonymousreply 194January 12, 2019 11:00 PM

I'm surprised the 5th Final Destination is the only one with a high-ish score. It seems like most horror fans loved the first two and the last one the most. Some like 3 (I liked it) and most people who have any taste whatsoever despise 4. It really was THAT bad.

by Anonymousreply 195January 12, 2019 11:02 PM

R193 I know right? But I want to see more than the 2 minute summary shown in the trailer. Lately, all the horror movies I've seen have been so unoriginal and disappointing. I'm craving a good horror film. Hope this one doesn't disappoint.

by Anonymousreply 196January 12, 2019 11:03 PM

Lots of critics hate practically all horror movies, and many of the rest have a bias against them. So I consider any horror movie that gets anywhere near a fresh rating to have gotten rave reviews.

by Anonymousreply 197January 12, 2019 11:05 PM

i thought, "Raw" (it's a French film with a female director) was a decent film:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198January 12, 2019 11:07 PM

[quote]those who say that stupid assed movie with Julie Christie about some walls that shake from 1950 are pressed for horror. they probably get scared by their own shadows.

Are you thinking about REPULSION by Polanski (1965) starring Catherine Deneuve? I thought it was horrifying as shit, with these hands coming through the walls.

THE HAUNTING, with Claire Bloom and Julie Harris, also in B&W, was equally horrifying.

by Anonymousreply 199January 12, 2019 11:07 PM

It's very pulpy, and the interstitials are HORRIBLE, but V/H/S has some great segments (I particularly love, "Amateur Night"):

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200January 12, 2019 11:13 PM

I wouldn’t recommend Await Further Instructions a highly RT rated film that proves the system isn’t always right. First you think you are watching a extremely small budget film until the end they must have used all the money. Second TV plays a big part in this and a 2018 film should have a flat panel. Third the ending is unsatisfacting.

by Anonymousreply 201January 13, 2019 12:14 AM

[quote] This scene from Jeepers Creepers still freaks me out. I didn't mind the sequel. I haven't checked out the third movie. Is it any good?

It's not as bad as everyone is saying. It's clearly not meant to be a standalone film because a lot of it feels unresolved.

by Anonymousreply 202January 13, 2019 5:50 AM

I hate slashed films. I only like a good ghost stories and the ghost must never win.

by Anonymousreply 203January 13, 2019 5:54 AM

Has anyone seen The Poughkeepsie Tapes? It's supposed to be really disturbing.

by Anonymousreply 204January 13, 2019 7:41 AM

R204

I saw it. It's disturbing for sure. But kind of pointless.

by Anonymousreply 205January 13, 2019 7:52 AM

R205 think I'll give it a miss then.

by Anonymousreply 206January 13, 2019 10:01 AM

R206

No, you should check it out. I am very critical horror fan, but i remembered this movie. It's not a masterpiece, but it's good. And very disturbing.

by Anonymousreply 207January 13, 2019 10:37 AM

Btw, truly disturbing horror is french Martyrs. Torture porn, bleak and unbearable.

by Anonymousreply 208January 13, 2019 10:38 AM

Haven't seen Martyrs yet but [italic]this[/italic] sounds tamer by comparison.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 209January 13, 2019 11:05 AM

[quote]Alice Sweet Alice is a terrific movie that a lot of people don't talk about. Lots of Catholic guilt, repression, and a dash of Italian giallo even though it was shot in New Jersey. It's a hard movie to get out of your head after you've seen it.

I second this recommendation. I watched it again recently and it was still as unsettling to me as when I saw it as a kid.

I love movies like Stir of Echoes and Mothman Prophecies, which are more unsettling and less about slashing people up.

by Anonymousreply 210January 13, 2019 5:13 PM

I like to think that, if I can still remember at least one or two scary/disturbing scenes from a horror movie years later, it's probably a pretty damn good horror movie. I remember Alice Sweet Alice and there are at least 3 or 4 scenes in there that I'll never forget. That's a good horror movie for me.

What about Demons, the Italian horror movie? I saw that at a young age and it scared the shit out of me. It's less scary these days, but it's entertaining and atmospheric as hell.

by Anonymousreply 211January 13, 2019 8:32 PM

Ah yesss, how could I forget, "Session 9"?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212January 13, 2019 8:44 PM

Unfriended and its sequel Dark Web both got fresh ratings on Rotten Tomatoes. Not brilliant, but definitely quality horror.

by Anonymousreply 213January 13, 2019 10:39 PM

Happy Death Day is getting a sequel! YESSSS!

by Anonymousreply 214January 13, 2019 11:15 PM

Don’t think Dark Web got a good rating at RT. Might hav gotten a high 50.

R209 that looks like the American remake. I haven’t seen it but heard it doesn’t compare to French version which I have seen and loved.

by Anonymousreply 215January 13, 2019 11:25 PM

I highly recommend the Norwegian supernatural film Thelma (2017).

by Anonymousreply 216January 13, 2019 11:26 PM

R186 April Fools Day, the original the House on Sorority Row (Eileen Davidson), Tales From the Darkside (both movie &TV show are amazingly bad), Demon Night, Village of the Damned remake, House of 1000 Corpses and another remake, Mothers Day.

by Anonymousreply 217January 13, 2019 11:27 PM

I love the original House on Sorority Row! That's a great movie. Probably the classiest slasher flick right alongside Happy Birthday To Me and Hell Night.

by Anonymousreply 218January 13, 2019 11:48 PM

R218, I do too, especially when Eileen's character rips the condom open with her teeth, but its sooo bad its GOOD. JMO

by Anonymousreply 219January 13, 2019 11:50 PM

I liked Oculus, I thought it was good scary fun. Written and directed by Mike Flanagan, the same guy who directed The Haunting if Hill House and staring a DL fave, Brenton Thwaites

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220January 14, 2019 12:01 AM

R215 it's not a remake but it's from the same person who did Martyrs.

by Anonymousreply 221January 14, 2019 12:11 AM

'Eden Lake' because it's the only film which actually scares me.

'El Orfanato/The Orphanage' because it's a beautiful film.

by Anonymousreply 222January 14, 2019 12:13 AM

I wish they had gone with a different ending for Unfriended.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 223January 14, 2019 12:14 AM

[quote] those who say that stupid assed movie with Julie Christie about some walls that shake from 1950 are pressed for horror.

Do people still say "pressed" in whatever place you live in, even though it's now 2019? How quaint!

by Anonymousreply 224January 14, 2019 12:16 AM

Has anyone mentioned the deliciously creepy Marrowbone? The cast was fantastic!

by Anonymousreply 225January 14, 2019 3:55 PM

Some fool keeps recommending Session 9 on these threads, it’s like clockwork but I am here to tell you: Do not waste your time on this piece of shit. It has some creepy elements but it is nowhere near the masterpiece some people on this site think it is.

The Poughkeepsie Tapes is also highly overrated as well.

by Anonymousreply 226January 14, 2019 4:51 PM

The Ring saga.

by Anonymousreply 227January 14, 2019 6:17 PM

I don't know what it was exactly about this movie. But it really creeped me out. I don't know why they gave us a different title.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 228January 15, 2019 12:41 AM

The Orphanage broke my heart. What a great movie.

by Anonymousreply 229January 15, 2019 6:05 PM

Fear No Evil. I think it's from the 80s, and it's about a high school kid who is Lucifer and he makes the school bully grow a pair of tits.

by Anonymousreply 230January 15, 2019 10:53 PM

It also has what every movie should High schools boys (played by 25 year olds ) taking a shower.

by Anonymousreply 231January 16, 2019 4:15 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 232January 16, 2019 4:21 AM

Last year was:

1. Hereditary 2. Halloween 3. Bird Box (?)

by Anonymousreply 233January 18, 2019 12:58 AM

I liked both hereditary and Halloween. And I’m a horror fan.

There are two types of horror fan. One likes horror that is a solid two hours of characters we don’t really know or care about being torn to pieces by invincible badass supernatural murder machines like unkillable savage humans or demon monsters. These horror fans feel a deep inadequacy and alienation and like to fantasize about being the invincible killing machine.

The other type likes to be scared. Fright doesn’t come from watching people butchered, it comes from an anticipation that something bad or deeply disturbing is about to happen. So they prefer movies that leave you in fearful anticipation that something awful is going to happen.

The first type tend to be teenage boys, incels, and that guy at the comic book store who holds forth at length about whatever the subject of conversation is, and smells faintly of urine. Don’t be the first type.

by Anonymousreply 234January 18, 2019 1:21 AM

"Bhoot" it's Hindi for ghost. If you can find it. Netflix used to rent the DVD but stopped because people weren't returning it, that's what I was told. Turn off the lights, turn up the sound and have fun.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 235January 18, 2019 1:23 AM

I found this one oddly compelling:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 236January 18, 2019 1:30 AM

Soap actress Jill Larson was amazing in this underappreciated movie- The Taking of Deborah Logan

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 237January 18, 2019 1:32 AM

I could have lived a long happy life without seeing The wonderful actress who played Opal nude she did have a good body for a woman her age but it was a bit like seeing your Mama naked which can scar you for life.

by Anonymousreply 238January 18, 2019 6:18 PM

Suspiria is out you can buy a digital copy. You can probably rent in a couple of weeks and a little longer watch it on Amazon Prime. I might not wait. Why is it 2 hours and a half long ? Does Tilda really play a man ?

by Anonymousreply 239January 18, 2019 7:29 PM

[Quote] The first type tend to be teenage boys, incels, and that guy at the comic book store who holds forth at length about whatever the subject of conversation is, and smells faintly of urine. Don’t be the first type.

I wonder what they look like?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 240January 19, 2019 1:44 AM

R236 that came on tv a few months ago. But I was too scared to watch it.

by Anonymousreply 241January 19, 2019 1:46 AM

I'm watching my new Blu Ray of HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME right now.

by Anonymousreply 242January 19, 2019 10:45 AM

Starry Eyes is SPOILER SPOILER

I

W

A

R

N

E

D

U.

I saw this movie it is about an actress who sells her soul for a role that involves going down on a 60 year old man .killing all her friends and some kind of weird rebirth ceremony.

by Anonymousreply 243January 19, 2019 11:11 AM

[quote] Don’t think Dark Web got a good rating at RT. Might hav gotten a high 50.

58%, two points shy of fresh. Which is definitely a good rating for a horror movie.

by Anonymousreply 244January 19, 2019 1:18 PM

[Quote] that involves going down on a 60 year old man .

I hope that scene isn't overly graphic.

by Anonymousreply 245January 19, 2019 2:20 PM

No it isn’t. Although it is disgusting how she is dead set against it and has a complete turnaround and acts like it is a pleasure to do it

You are right about bad reviews are sometimes wrong about horror films. I wonder about the current release Escape Roomat 53 %. A friend said he hated it.

by Anonymousreply 246January 19, 2019 10:05 PM

I haven't seen the whole film but the mutant bear sequence in "Annihilation" has to rate as one of the best set pieces in horror cinema ever.

by Anonymousreply 247January 19, 2019 10:31 PM

I just saw Suspiria It has a weak beginning but a crazy ending that reminded me of Hereditary. Why does Tilda play two characters one being an old man with old age makeup ?

by Anonymousreply 248January 21, 2019 8:32 AM

Because she can.

by Anonymousreply 249January 21, 2019 10:58 AM

The “new” Halloween is rancid, hardly better than any of the preceding entries, the manic loon proclaiming it brilliant and Oscar bound is a panic, the film is DOA from scene one. It Follows is solid.

by Anonymousreply 250January 21, 2019 11:08 AM

Didn’t care for It Follows esp as a horror the new Halloween is overrated but I did enjoy it.

by Anonymousreply 251January 21, 2019 11:18 AM

I enjoyed It Follows but i found the ending rather depressing.

by Anonymousreply 252January 21, 2019 1:45 PM

I am the only one who was disappointed by The Nun?

by Anonymousreply 253January 21, 2019 5:17 PM

No, r253. It had so much promise. Although I hear that the script for Conjuring 3 is supposed to be terrific.

by Anonymousreply 254January 21, 2019 8:25 PM

I liked the new Suspiria, but there were some serious missteps that kept me from loving it. We all know Tilda is a brilliant actress, but the psychiatrist character simply didn't need to be in the film. Every time he showed up, it stopped the movie cold. Just him out and you'd probably have a pretty decent little movie. As is, it's FAR too long (2 1/2 hrs) and feels like someone's first cut.

At least it brought some new and interesting things to the table unlike the new Halloween that felt like, at best, a better than average Friday the 13th sequel. For all this talk about it being the #MeToo horror movie and going back to the basics of suspense and character development, it sure was shallow and played it safe. I didn't like any of the characters (even Laurie tried my patience a few times), there was no suspense/scares, and most of the film seemed to be made up of homages to other films in the franchise.

by Anonymousreply 255January 21, 2019 9:51 PM

A great and highly entertaining recent Christmas-themed horror/comedy that not many people have seen is "Better Watch Out". Just don't read anything about it or watch the trailer before you watch it because they all give the main plot twist away. It's one of those films where the plot twist happens early on in the film so it's kind of hard to market it without giving it away.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 256January 22, 2019 2:00 AM

The Shining and the original Halloween are favorites. Most modern horror films all look the same to me (that includes Hereditary amd the latest Halloween). None of it is new or innovative. That said...

The latest Suspiria film, despite its faults (hated the ending), managed to shock and horrify me in ways no movie in the last decade (at least) has. I thought it was impossible to still shock, to reinvent the genre...but wow, did they ever. On a side note, I think period piece horror is underutilized, and could revitalize the generally tired genre. Wouldn’t it be great to see a Barry Lyndon-esque horror film?!

by Anonymousreply 257January 22, 2019 2:37 AM

The new Suspiria is shit

by Anonymousreply 258January 22, 2019 3:07 AM

R248 Tilda plays 3 characters

by Anonymousreply 259January 22, 2019 3:13 AM

Love Giallo, especially Argento (Suspiria, Opera, Tenebre), and I’ve realized body horror films really freak me out. Cronenberg’s a master at this (Shivers, Rabid, The Brood) but I think Darren Aronofsky is a close second especially with Black Swan. I really loved what Luca Guadagnino did with his Suspiria. Was it portentous? Fuck yes. But it also gave us a few moments that visually took things to a place I wasn’t expecting. The sound design alone was very haunting. And for someone who sees 3-4 movies every week, mostly horror, that was exhilarating.

by Anonymousreply 260January 22, 2019 3:23 AM

I really wanted to like hereditary but it felt like I’d seen it before, mostly the ending. Felt very Kill List (2011), which is something I highly recommend. As for twists on home invasion movies - I also really liked You’re Next (2011 too, weird) and Ils (2006). For psychological true tales horror, the Snowton Murders (2011, again??) was a painfully horrifying watch. It made me super-nauseous for awhile afterwards.

by Anonymousreply 261January 22, 2019 3:39 AM

The new Suspiria is pretty good. Would it be a better movie without the psychiatrist (which takes up nearly half the movie)? DEAR GOD, YES!

That storyline adds nothing to the film except to give Tilda a chance to play a man (and her high voice and weird prosthetics never convince). She's excellent as Blanc, though and also as a very creepy Jabba the hut looking creature later on in the film.

by Anonymousreply 262January 22, 2019 3:55 AM

I loved Kill List r261 but I don’t think Hereditary’s ending was at all similar in tone.

by Anonymousreply 263January 22, 2019 3:58 AM

I know Alex Essoe, who is the star of Starry Eyes, a little. She’s wonderful, love her.

by Anonymousreply 264January 22, 2019 4:03 AM

[Quote] and I’ve realized body horror films really freak me out. Cronenberg’s a master at this (Shivers, Rabid, The Brood) but I think Darren Aronofsky is a close second especially with Black Swan.

I have only seen The Fly twice and it took me a [italic]loooong[/italic] time to revisit it because i was so freaked out by all of the body horror. Technically i've seen Videodrome (i was only half paying attention) and all that comes to mind is the chest vagina lol. I also can't watch the nail scene in Black Swan, it grosses me out.

[Quote] As for twists on home invasion movies - I also really liked You’re Next (2011 too, weird)

You're Next was awesome!

by Anonymousreply 265January 22, 2019 1:53 PM

cujo

by Anonymousreply 266January 23, 2019 3:05 PM

Cujo was terrifying when I watched it as a kid, especially since I was a boy with a single mom.

by Anonymousreply 267January 23, 2019 3:42 PM

I liked Cujo too but a rapid dog shouldn’t have a wagging tail.

by Anonymousreply 268January 23, 2019 8:23 PM

Thank you 256. Even though I hated seeing a Mullet from Stranger Things killed I liked Better Watch Out Something was a little off about it not really a classic but still good.

Most of the cast are from Australia. How come so many good looking people come from there ?

by Anonymousreply 269January 23, 2019 8:28 PM

I think I may be the only person who preferred Halloween H20 over Halloween (2018). I always wanted a Halloween film to take place during the crowded hubbub on Halloween night, and after watching 2018, I realized why it hadn't been done yet. With every out and about in costumes, it killed a lot of the tension. And the film's over reliance on comedy killed what was left of the tension. I also thought Laurie's characterization in H20 was more authentic to probably how she would've turned out, as a self-destructive alcoholic trying desperately to keep it all together. The Linda Hamilton thing didn't feel like a direct connection to how her character behaved in the original. Also, there was nothing fresh enough in the remake that required them to completely erase all the previous films. With a few tweaks, they could've added Josh Hartnett and even the sibling connection without much being changed. I also resented the callbacks to the retconned sequels. It was like, why not just watch the original films? They didn't break enough new ground to justify throwing out the continuity altogether.

The best, unknown horror film I saw recently was Terrifier on Netflix. Check it out if you get the chance and love sleazy, disturbing slashers.

by Anonymousreply 270January 23, 2019 9:32 PM

I agree about the new Halloween. I liked H20 (even with its myriad flaws) much better.

by Anonymousreply 271January 23, 2019 9:39 PM

Not really a horror but I liked low budget Bad is Bad one of the meanest home invasion movies ever.

by Anonymousreply 272January 24, 2019 1:08 PM

R169, I love Alice Sweet Alice! Especially for it's campiness - "Have some cake, fatty", "But you give to that WHORE!"...

by Anonymousreply 273January 24, 2019 2:48 PM

Did Michael Myers finally silence the Halloween is Brilliant loon now that their manic declarations of multiple Oscar nominations for the film has been proven null and void? Now THAT shitshow was TERRIFYING!

by Anonymousreply 274January 24, 2019 2:56 PM

Innocent Blood, though it's strictly camp.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 275January 24, 2019 3:02 PM

Here's a good slasher/splatter movie directed by Lucio Fulci, part of his "Gates of Hell' trilogy, The House by the Cemetery:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 276January 25, 2019 3:12 AM

Suspiria would have been so much better with the whole old man story excluding the Jessica Harper cameo. Lucy really indulged Tilda.

by Anonymousreply 277January 25, 2019 6:32 AM

Two that have not yet been mentioned:

"Dream Home," a film from Hong Kong starring Josie Ho as a woman who goes door-to-door in a high-rise condo, slaughtering its inhabitants to reduce property values. Very graphic but exceptionally made. I think it is on YouTube.

"Black Christmas," a Canadian horror film from 1974 starring Olivia Hussey, Margot Kidder and Andrea Martin as sorority girls being stalked and killed by a deranged murderer over the Christmas holidays. Without spoiling the plot, many of the tropes of 1970's horror began here. Of all people, it was directed by Bob Clark, the auteur behind Porky's and A Christmas Story. Very atmospheric and not very graphic.

by Anonymousreply 278January 25, 2019 7:06 AM

R169, there’s a blu ray of ALICE SWEET ALICE available now from 88 Films (UK). The print they used is a bit washed out, though. I’m surprised they didn’t do some color correction. Still it looks lightyears better than the old low-definition scan they have on Amazon Prime.

[quote]I don't find many old b&w horror movies scary. things have just amped up so much since the 70s.

Old black and white horror movies are not from the 70s. Good grief.

Most of my favorites have been listed here but did I miss THE HOWLING (1981)? That’s one of the very best. Doesn’t take itself too seriously except for when it gets really violent and gory and horrifying. I love it; I really think it’s pitch perfect from beginning to end. Has serial killer elements mixed in with a werewolf tale. I actually think it’s better than AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON.

Argento is pretty much crap—dreadful, stupid stories with attractive cinematography and ridiculous acting. Fulci is even worse, although NEW YORK RIPPER is pretty good.

Cronenberg’s RABID and SHIVERS are pretty damn good.

MARTIN (George Romero) and DEATHDREAM aka DEAD OF NIGHT (from Bob Clark, who did BLACK CHRISTMAS and A CHRISTMAS STORY) are similar in that they center on sad, murderous young men and both are very somber and surprisingly affecting.

SISTERS (De Palma) and LET’S SCARE JESSICA TO DEATH are two other 70s favorites.

BLUE SUNSHINE is sort of sci-fi/horror á la Cronenberg and highly recommended. People take some bad acid and turn into homicidal, balding maniacs ten years later. It’s even better than that sounds. The blu ray of it is one of the best I own just in terms of the packaging and ephemera they include.

by Anonymousreply 279January 25, 2019 7:39 AM

Forgot one: DAUGHTERS OF DARKNESS.

I cannot relate to you people who gobble up all the latest garbage popcorn horror hits—they remind me of the shit that would have gone straight to video in the 80s and 90s. And no, I’m not an old fart, I’m 39, and it’s so obvious to me that all the new, really bad horror movies are made by Millennials who don’t quite know what they’re doing in terms of direction, cinematography, and storytelling. I can spot the influences but I can also spot the “Millennial sensibility” which ruins so many of the movies. HEREDITARY would have been pretty great if not for its disastrous ending (and no it’s not about mental illness, no matter how much our mentally ill troll insists it is). THE VVITCH was too pretentious and the ending was about as clumsy as HEREDITARY's; I also didn’t care about any of the characters. IT FOLLOWS was great, I had no problems with it whatsoever. HOUSE OF THE DEVIL was pretty good but also had a problematic ending. The followup, THE INNKEEPERS was *terrible* and I can’t believe so many people like it. GET OUT was very well done, terribly suspenseful, but yes, THE STEPFORD WIVES (1975) did it first and probably better (and I agree it needs more love, a well as a blu ray).

THE OTHERS was well done.

All those popular series like PARANORMAL ACTIVITY and SAW and THE CONJURING and THE NUN are garbage for people who have no taste or don’t know good horror.

Any questions, OP?

by Anonymousreply 280January 25, 2019 7:49 AM

The first COUNT YORGA movie is really great, too. Very natural acting and believable plot developments— plus some incredibly sexy men. SALEM’S LOT is another good 70s vampire movie but the acting is incredibly hammy to me now that I’m older.

More in the ‘thriller’ vein is SEE NO EVIL (Mia Farrow), also starring some 70s hotties. DARK PLACES (1973) with Joan Collins, Christopher Lee, Jane Birkin, Jean Marsh, and Robert Hardy is creepy and engrossing (old haunted house + possession + violent murders) but gets no love and has never seen a home video release since VHS, but you can find it on YouTube. I love it to pieces.

EYES OF A STRANGER is fun and suspenseful.

As for bad 80s horror, I always had a soft spot for APRIL FOOLS DAY and WITCHBOARD.

THE DEVIL’S NIGHTMARE (1971) is extremely great, Satanic Euro trash with a very creepy, somewhat legendary musical score.

The modern French thriller THEM is really well done.

TOURIST TRAP (1980) manages to provide genuine creepiness, jump scares, and really disturbing murders. It actually out- performs THE TEXAS CHAIN SAW MASSACRE (which I also love) in that regard.

I could go on and on. Horror/suspense is kind of my thing. And this is to say nothing of the classics that OP wants to hear nothing more about, or Hitchcock, etc etc

by Anonymousreply 281January 25, 2019 8:19 AM

I checked out The Boy the other day. I enjoyed it up until the ending. And i don't know what the point was in making Lauren's character British???

by Anonymousreply 282January 25, 2019 9:06 AM

Blood Feast. The granddaddy of schlocky horror films.

by Anonymousreply 283January 25, 2019 9:23 AM

It (2017)

The Descent

Cabin Fever

Exorcist III

by Anonymousreply 284January 25, 2019 9:26 AM

R284 Which Cabin Fever??

by Anonymousreply 285January 25, 2019 10:14 AM

Cabin Fever was 100% retarded the first time around. Do people just like it now bc of that neanderthal Eli Roth?

by Anonymousreply 286January 25, 2019 3:35 PM

Something Wicked This Way Comes - marketed as a kids film but it's really not.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 287January 25, 2019 3:38 PM

Shudder has a very good selection of Cronenberg/Fulci/Argento as well as camp classics like Blood Feast and Daughters of Darkness. The recent films on there vary in quality but there are lots of gems. Definitely worth the subscription especially if you're looking to get into Italian or Asian horror.

by Anonymousreply 288January 25, 2019 4:27 PM

Well smell you, r280.

by Anonymousreply 289January 25, 2019 8:12 PM

Daughters of Darkness is one of the few vampire films I enjoy. I'm not big on that subgenre, but that one is pretty great. Delphine Seyrig is stunning and plays the lead vamp less predatory and "evil" and more fun and frivolous like some sort of Sally Bowles type. It's a really fun movie.

I mostly liked the new Suspiria, but I agree that taking out the shrink that Tilda played would have helped so much. That entire subplot was totally useless.

by Anonymousreply 290January 25, 2019 10:56 PM

THE WATCHER IN THE WOODS is another one marketed toward kids but it’s actually too scary for kids. It’s really well done. Bette Davis and Kyle Richards and Lynn-Holly Johnson? Come on. You can’t go wrong.

by Anonymousreply 291January 26, 2019 2:32 AM

R279 "Argento is pretty much crap—dreadful, stupid stories with attractive cinematography and ridiculous acting. Fulci is even worse, although NEW YORK RIPPER is pretty good."

Lol this person has no idea about the meaning of camp/cult cinema/B-movies/directors.

by Anonymousreply 292January 26, 2019 3:39 AM

Decided to check out Rings and it wasn't scary at all 😐

by Anonymousreply 293January 26, 2019 1:19 PM

What did we think about big screen It?

by Anonymousreply 294January 26, 2019 4:39 PM

US looks promising. I hope it doesn't disappoint like all the other hyped horror movies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 295January 26, 2019 5:35 PM

Yes, Jordan Peele is a talented guy with an encyclopedic knowledge and love of cinema. I would like for it to succeed for Jordan, but I HATE that it's Blumhouse. It looks like a weird mashup of home-invasion and psycho drama.

by Anonymousreply 296January 26, 2019 6:33 PM

R296 is it bad that I find Jason Blum kinda hot?

by Anonymousreply 297January 26, 2019 10:33 PM

Jason Blum is TOTALLY hot.

by Anonymousreply 298January 26, 2019 10:34 PM

R278 Dream Home is great!

by Anonymousreply 299January 27, 2019 2:31 AM

Dream Home has some great moments, but I thought some of it was a bit too over the top and goofy. I remember one guy basically getting gutted and he just lingers around for another 30/45 minutes and it's almost comical. I remember a similar bit in the, otherwise, stellar Inside where a guy is stabbed in the head with scissors and refuses to die. It screws up an otherwise intense movie.

by Anonymousreply 300January 27, 2019 3:37 AM

R300 oh yea, the zombie guy. Ugh tho that kind of traumatized me. But I don’t handle severe brain traumas in film well.

by Anonymousreply 301January 27, 2019 5:13 AM

LOL, R292, I named a bunch of cult favorites in my list of recommended horror movies. Not sure what you think Argento represents, or how he intended his movies to be perceived, but I don’t think *you* quite get it.

by Anonymousreply 302January 27, 2019 5:29 AM

Recent movies: I liked UNFRIENDED a lot. The sequel (DARK WEB) was just okay -- it reminded me of another newish movie, THE DEN.

by Anonymousreply 303January 27, 2019 5:42 AM

Yes Blum is hot, comes from a wealthy family, and yet has made hundreds of millions in very underhanded ways. He has a very bad rep with crews in town, and has screwed so many actors and directors out of their money (it takes a 2-3 years for them to realize it). To sue him would cost more time and money than it is worth. And the fact that he's gunning for awards every year since, "The Normal Heart" kills me, because it validates his methods of screwing people over to win awards.

Enough about him - "Train to Busan" is an excellent film:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 304January 27, 2019 8:38 AM

[quote] He has a very bad rep with crews in town,

A few years ago I attended a Q&A featuring Blum in L.A. and he asked the audience who there had ever worked on a Blumhouse production and two guys raised their hands -- two crew guys and one said he had worked two Blumhouse shoots and Jason said, "You came back?" Because prior to that he talked about how micro the budgets are for the shoots and it's hard to film in L.A because of it.

by Anonymousreply 305January 27, 2019 8:43 AM

[Quote] What did we think about big screen It?

I loved it and i'm looking forward to part 2. Although Tim Curry's Pennywise will always be the more memorable version.

[Quote] I would like for it to succeed for Jordan, but I HATE that it's Blumhouse.

Why??

[Quote] Recent movies: I liked UNFRIENDED a lot. The sequel (DARK WEB) was just okay

Are there any references to the first movie??

by Anonymousreply 306January 27, 2019 1:54 PM

R304 why do people keep working with him?

by Anonymousreply 307January 27, 2019 2:12 PM

r305- he was actually ex-communicated for a while from filming in L.A. for violating union rules- I think it was around the, "Get Out" time.

r307- well either it's:

1. You know he has a steady stream of projects going on at any given time, so it's a steady paycheck (but that is dangerous- I know of several people above the line who've tried to jump to non BH projects, but they have the stigma of working with him.) For regular crew, it's steady work as well. 2. He'll lure you with more points on the backend (which never materialize) for actors or directors. 3. One director (whose movie is mentioned in this thread) is loyal (that was the question that I asked). 4. He does give directors a lot of latitude for creativity. 5. He's starting to gun for awards, which is very attractive for actors and directors. 6. He makes you a horror icon 7. You're Rob Zombie and don't give a fuck.

Why I don't like him? He's fucked over friends on their backend, will do shady things like try to make the stunt people claim damages on their insurance, barely will feed the crew (on Us, they were trying to give the kids sandwiches for lunch -they're supposed to give full hot meals), do more shady shit like changing times on timecards, not care about actors and crew in general by cutting corners claiming that they have no money. It's all bullshit- this guy has made 4 billion dollars.

by Anonymousreply 308January 27, 2019 6:27 PM

R308 wow, didn't know this. It's as bad as the Harvey stuff.

by Anonymousreply 309January 27, 2019 7:05 PM

R291 there should be a Watcher in the Woods revival. Weird, scary, and I saw it in the same vein as the Return to Oz type of content Disney was releasing in that time frame. But with Watcher the ending was and is still STRANGE to say the least. Disney wont budge on releasing any more information about that movie and that vile Kyle Bitchards was on set and doesn't remember a damned thing of note, but claims to have PTSD from her being in Halloween! I want to know what really happened to the script/screenplay and scrapped footage from Watcher, its really one of few movies I'd seen once as a kid and remember far too vividly 30 years later.

by Anonymousreply 310January 27, 2019 7:27 PM

r309, I haven't even gotten into the sexist stuff and threats if you leave his projects for other (better) ones. The reason why no other company can duplicate his success with microbudgets is that no other company is willing to crush the crew and cheat like he does.

It's a shame- I do like, "Get Out" and "Split", and I'm sure I'm going to like, "Glass" and "Us"- Peele and Shyamalan are great guys to work with, but I don't want to contribute anything to make Blum more successful.

by Anonymousreply 311January 27, 2019 9:56 PM

R310, it’s definitely overdue for a blu ray release, if nothing else. Or even just a high definition VOD stream. I bought the DVD, and the print they used is in horrible shape. Really surprising.

by Anonymousreply 312January 27, 2019 10:15 PM

R311 there was this stuff last year about him not wanting to hire female directors. I'm surprised all of this is not really talked about. Is he that powerful? What else is known about him?

by Anonymousreply 313January 27, 2019 10:30 PM

Didn't Watcher in the Woods get remade for Lifetime with Angelica Huston in the past year or so? I didn't hear much about it, so I guess it was just forgettable Lifetime fluff.

by Anonymousreply 314January 27, 2019 11:02 PM

As It Is Above, So Below is a great underrated B movie.

by Anonymousreply 315January 27, 2019 11:14 PM

Do you mean As Above, So Below, R315?

by Anonymousreply 316January 27, 2019 11:22 PM

Yes, R314, with Melissa Joan Hart, whom I believe directed/produced it as well. And by all accounts it was garbage. Sadly it’s more readily available now than the original.

by Anonymousreply 317January 27, 2019 11:23 PM

R306 No. It is a totally separate movie with a different plot/villain.

by Anonymousreply 318January 27, 2019 11:31 PM

Yes, R316. It’s so good.

by Anonymousreply 319January 28, 2019 12:20 AM

I just watched Dario Argento’s Inferno and it was lackluster. The colors were pretty but the plot wore banality like a pair of Keds.

by Anonymousreply 320January 28, 2019 12:23 AM

All of Argento’s movies are garbage, but he has stupid fanboys who think he’s like Kubrick or Hitchcock or Godard or somebody.

by Anonymousreply 321January 28, 2019 1:04 AM

The Dario Argento hater on here is so fucking annoying.

by Anonymousreply 322January 28, 2019 4:32 AM

I just don’t think he’s a “master”, R322. Come on. Literally all the British/American horror movies from the 70s listed in this thread are better than Argento’s giallos.

by Anonymousreply 323January 28, 2019 5:09 AM

I really enjoyed The Ones Below. Yes it is a bit of a RB rip off but I still liked it.

by Anonymousreply 324January 28, 2019 5:13 AM

R318 i thought as much.

by Anonymousreply 325January 28, 2019 1:32 PM

I don't think it did great at the box office but i enjoyed Sorority Row. Especially bitchy Jessica.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 326January 28, 2019 1:33 PM

If you want a good ghost story try The Changeling with George C. Scott, it's very atmospheric and eerie.

by Anonymousreply 327January 28, 2019 5:55 PM

Yes, that is one of the best, R327. The seance scene is one of the creepiest of its kind—especially with the assistant guy who accompanies the medium and shouts the “automatic writing” responses given by the spirit.

“JOSEPH.”

“NO.”

Love it. There’s an excellent new blu ray release from Second Sight (UK) and Severin (US), although I read that there were some issues with the Severin release. You can also watch the new 4K HD scan on Shudder, but the quality is always better if you go with physical media (blu ray).

by Anonymousreply 328January 28, 2019 7:34 PM

Are there any differences between the deluxe edition available on Amazon and the even more expensive edition R328?

by Anonymousreply 329January 28, 2019 7:45 PM

Inferno is a weird movie. It has all the style and excess of Suspiria, but the male lead is so boring that I always want to fall asleep when I watch it. Some people love it, though. Hell, Mother of Tears might be a hot mess with zero style, but you can't say it's ever boring.

by Anonymousreply 330January 28, 2019 8:30 PM

I love Mother of Tears. It's just so retarded.

by Anonymousreply 331January 28, 2019 8:43 PM

INFERNO doesn't work because it barely has a storyline - even SUSPIRIA had more plot.

SUSPIRIA and DEEP RED are the only Argento films that are watchable. I recall liking BIRD WITH THE CRYSTAL PLUMAGE when it came out, but it's pretty lame, as are CAT O' NINE TAILS and the dreadful FOUR FLIES ON GREY VELVET.

by Anonymousreply 332January 28, 2019 8:53 PM

R329, if you’re referring to the Severin version, I think the difference between their deluxe and the regular (?) edition, which may also be limited, is that you get a replica of the bouncing ball. Something stupid like that. I ordered the Second Sight UK version — which plays on US blu ray players incidentally — because I liked the artwork better. It comes with a thick, sturdy book about the movie and a folded poster, housed in a sturdy box. Oh, and it comes with the soundtrack on CD, too! I think the extras on the Severin release are similar except for maybe the booklet. The Second Sight release contains several of the extra featurettes contained on the Severin release (Severin created them).

It’s confusing, I know.

by Anonymousreply 333January 28, 2019 9:42 PM

I like Tenebrae a lot. I think that and Deep Red have his best screenplays. They actually sorta make some sense. I have a soft spot for Phenomena and Opera as well.

The Bird With the Crystal Plumage, Cat O'Nine Tails and Four Flies on Grey Velvet all have great moments, but I never find myself rewatching those like I do with Deep Red, Suspiria, Tenebrae, Phenomena, and Opera. I think those are his best. Inferno is beautiful to look at and has some great set pieces, but I find the characters so boring. It literally feels like everyone is sleepwalking through the film. Maybe that was his concept - to make it more dreamlike.

His post-Opera filmography is pretty spotty. Trauma is fine, if a bit bland. Stendhal has some great moments, as does Sleepless. The Card Player put me to sleep. Mother of Tears, awful as it is, does entertain the shit out of me. If the film had a little more style, it probably could have gotten away with all the ridiculous camp, but it looks too realistic and gritty for it to be taken as a nightmarish fantasy like Suspiria and Inferno.

by Anonymousreply 334January 29, 2019 1:00 AM

"Upgrade" is a great little body horror sci/fi hybrid:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 335January 29, 2019 4:47 PM

re: The Changeling bluray(s) - this is how it went down - Severin release had a missed frame and the soundtrack cd had some glitches, like it was ripped from a scratched cd. So, there was another Severin release, this time they just printed the raw film with the cigarette burns and everything. But they fixed the cd, and the missing frames. Some people are demanding a third version. If you have the first, you can email Severin w your receipt for the 2nd- version replacement.

AFAIK there were no issues w the Second Sight version, but I've seen some disagreement about that in online discussion.

Anyway, great movie to have even if you have an old VHS with horribly distorted audio like I did for years.

by Anonymousreply 336January 29, 2019 6:26 PM

Mother Of Tears is a great indulgent film that begs to be watched in bed when sick/hungover/stoned/etc. It reminded me of 1980s horror, it has that same messiness and unapologetic inconsistency.

by Anonymousreply 337January 29, 2019 6:30 PM

Yes that’s correct R336. What a disaster. Go with SS. No issues with my deluxe copy.

by Anonymousreply 338January 29, 2019 7:18 PM

As an Argento fan, I know I'm supposed to hate Mother of Tears, but I honestly thought it was the best thing he's made in decades. At least it was entertaining as stupid as it was. Have you tried getting through Dracula, Phantom of the Opera, or The Card Player? Yikes! I don't know what happened after Opera, but all his films since then have felt stylistically bland like anyone could have made them. If you watch Deep Red, Suspiria, or Phenomena you know these are Argento movies. If you showed me Trauma, I'd be like "well, that was decent, but it doesn't feel like Argento."

by Anonymousreply 339January 29, 2019 8:34 PM

The effects are cheesy but i really enjoyed it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 340February 2, 2019 1:03 PM

After almost being universally hated in that Promthicantspell (prequel to Allien ) Logan has made 2 great cult films The Invitation and Upgrade. I believe he is in another TV series.

by Anonymousreply 341February 2, 2019 4:38 PM

Upgrade was so surprisingly good.

by Anonymousreply 342February 2, 2019 10:31 PM

The Invitation is fan fucking tastic.

Will become a classic.

by Anonymousreply 343February 2, 2019 10:34 PM

When this thread became "Argento-basher"?

by Anonymousreply 344February 3, 2019 4:16 AM

Lucio Fulci's zombi 2.

This is bonkers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 345February 3, 2019 4:19 AM

Has anyone checked out Folklore?? It's a 6 part asian horror anthology on HBO.

by Anonymousreply 346February 3, 2019 1:16 PM

I work in micro-budget horror in LA.

It Follows was a great idea, but so-so execution. Ever since, I try to avoid hype and trailers. I try to see as much as I can in advance screenings or festivals before the hype kicks in. I saw Anna and the Apocalypse, Happy Death Day, Don't Breathe before the hype machines and enjoyed them all because I wasn't "expecting" anything.

by Anonymousreply 347February 3, 2019 8:13 PM

It Follows is brilliant and scary for about 45 minutes and then it just got deathly boring. Once they start the investigation process, I tuned out a bit. By that point, it just started to feel like they were struggling to connect the dots and get to the finale. They should have made a bigger deal about the lead's father being dead, because when he showed up as an apparition at the end, it took me a little while to figure out why she was having such a reaction to this vision.

The hype machine really can backfire a lot these days. I thought Hereditary, The VVitch, Neon Demon, etc. were pretty cool, but I wish they hadn't been hyped up. If you say anything is as scary as The Exorcist, you're doomed. Even the new Halloween suffered. from it. I couldn't believe a slasher sequel was getting such rave reviews. In hindsight, I should have known that might mean this wouldn't be my kind of movie. I usually get worried when non-horror fans start praising a horror film.

I'd also like it if they stopped planting those stupid fake fainting stories at horror film screenings at Sundance. No one fucking fainted in a screening of your stupid art film, fool. When I hear stories like that, I always prepare myself to be very disappointed by the film in question.

by Anonymousreply 348February 3, 2019 8:20 PM

The Wailing (2016) is a gorgeous supernatural horror film from korea.

by Anonymousreply 349February 3, 2019 8:39 PM

Not a film per se, but HBO is airing a new series of Asian horror stories called "Folklore." I watched the first one -- pretty good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 350February 3, 2019 9:01 PM

Watched a double feature of the original Halloween and Halloween 2018 last night, the sequel comes off terrible watching it immediately after, simply a bad C- offering.

by Anonymousreply 351February 6, 2019 9:56 AM

[Quote] . They should have made a bigger deal about the lead's father being dead, because when he showed up as an apparition at the end, it took me a little while to figure out why she was having such a reaction to this vision.

I completely missed that.

[Quote] I'd also like it if they stopped planting those stupid fake fainting stories at horror film screenings at Sundance. No one fucking fainted in a screening of your stupid art film, fool. When I hear stories like that, I always prepare myself to be very disappointed by the film in question.

They still do that?? I think the last time i heard that story was when Paranormal Activity came out.

by Anonymousreply 352February 6, 2019 4:16 PM

What movie are you talking about , dear.

by Anonymousreply 353February 6, 2019 5:34 PM

R341 Logan is so hot in Prometheus and looks so different (still handsome, just so different) in The Invitation that I had no clue they were even the same guy until I hit up IMDB afterwards. I was shook.

by Anonymousreply 354February 7, 2019 2:13 AM

Re: Jeepers Creepers. "We know what you are"

Well, what is he? Will there be a conclusion?

by Anonymousreply 355February 7, 2019 3:29 AM

Have any of you seen The Prodigy? Is it worth it?

by Anonymousreply 356February 10, 2019 7:39 PM

311 can you say more about jason blum?

by Anonymousreply 357February 12, 2019 8:51 PM

I finally saw "Hereditary". The scene with Toni Colette skittering across the ceiling made me laugh. The scene where she bangs her head really fast on the attic door made me giggle too. But the best laugh was when she was floating in the air and sawing at her neck with a wire (or whatever she was using). The director cuts away from her to a shot outside of the house and eventually you hear the thud of her body hitting the floor. I can't explain why that was so funny. You have to see it.

I am sure all of that stuff was creepy af if you saw it in the theater though.

by Anonymousreply 358February 12, 2019 9:38 PM

Hereditary was brilliant until that bonkers ass finale. What were they thinking? It went from a surprisingly subtle and thoughtful study of a family falling apart at the seams to a cheesy witchcraft/Satanic panic TV movie from the 70's with extra gore and naked extras. It's like they had a more thoughtful ending in mind, but knew mainstream audiences would want everything to be explained in a neat, tidy bow so they compromised with the final 10/15 minutes where everything goes nuts. It came across as goofy to me.

I always thought it would be more interesting if Toni discovers than the Ann Dowd character is somehow in on the whole conspiracy and then Ann tries to frame her by making her look inside and she's whisked away to a mental hospital somewhere so that Ann can gain entry into her home and make sure the demon possesses the son.

by Anonymousreply 359February 12, 2019 10:35 PM

^^^ Insane, not inside.

by Anonymousreply 360February 12, 2019 10:35 PM

"The Other (not to be confused with "The Others") really should have a remake. Based on an effective horror novel by Thomas Tryon, set in the 30s, it's the tale of a very fucked up family with a pair of twin boys, one good, one indescribably evil. The two boys who played the twins were good, but the movie was deeply flawed and had a confusing ending. A new version could really be something, There's a scene involving a baby in the original that's hard to stomach, but it was nothing like what happened in the novel, which was MUCH worse. A remake could really make something out of THAT.

by Anonymousreply 361February 12, 2019 11:22 PM

I have to say r359, there were two scenes that really worked for me. One was the one with Ann Dowd calling Peter's name. It was just a very eerie scene and you can't really say why. The other was after Peter was taken over by Paiman and he's walking slowly to the tree house. The naked people and the music used made me feel very discombobulated. The music (deliberately) didn't fit the tone that had been set until then and it's very disconcerting.

by Anonymousreply 362February 12, 2019 11:39 PM

Suspiria had a very similar ending that worked much better. Then again Suspiria has a long subplot with Tilda playing a man that should be excised.

I recently watched The Mephisto Waltz I couldn’t remember the ending. Well there is no camp or horror worthy scenes. It’s mostly a chore to watch because of the slow place. You think Jacqueline Bisset is a plucky heroine than she switches to the wrong side (bargain with devil )who has murdered her daughter and others Just for one night with her husband who really not her husband but a demon who has given her great sex. Not a good movie at all.

by Anonymousreply 363February 15, 2019 2:14 AM

Another fan here of The Invitation. I think they made a big mistake making it a movie....It’s basically takes place in one location ,and it would have made a terrifying play.

by Anonymousreply 364February 15, 2019 4:09 AM

I’m kinda enjoying Hulu’s and Blumhouse series of tvmovies covering every holiday Into The Dark.

by Anonymousreply 365February 15, 2019 4:22 AM

Remember the cinematic gem The Initiation of Sarah, DL favorite Kay Lenz plays a sorority pledge tormented by cruel and bitchy Morgan Fairchild until she is pushed too far and unleashes psychic Hell on those who have wronged her.

by Anonymousreply 366February 16, 2019 5:36 AM

Yes, that’s a very fun one, R366. As is The Spell—a similar Carrie rip-off from the same time.

by Anonymousreply 367February 16, 2019 6:07 AM

Is that the one where Lee Grant's chubby daughter can make people burn up from the inside R367?

by Anonymousreply 368February 16, 2019 7:19 AM

I saw Lights Out and loved it. Jump scares and genuine scares galore! It never seems to get much love.

by Anonymousreply 369February 16, 2019 7:53 AM

[Quote] I saw Lights Out and loved it. Jump scares and genuine scares galore! It never seems to get much love.

I haven't seen it and i'm too scared to check out the short on youtube lol

by Anonymousreply 370February 16, 2019 3:14 PM

Some good ones in recent years...though not all strictly horror (some more sci-fi, thriller, dark comedy stuff) - We Are Still Here - They Look Like People - Resolution - The Endless - Super Dark Times - Murder Party - Blue Ruin - Hold The Dark - The Void

by Anonymousreply 371February 16, 2019 4:25 PM

Also, Creep, Creep 2, and I Am Not A Serial Killer

by Anonymousreply 372February 16, 2019 4:27 PM

Don't Breathe (2016)

by Anonymousreply 373February 16, 2019 4:41 PM

Rings wasn't scary at all and it was weird to see Leonard from BBT as a sleazy professor. I also checked out Mama and i liked it. I don't know why that movie gets such a bad wrap??

by Anonymousreply 374February 16, 2019 5:00 PM

Has anyone seen Panos Cosmatos’ Mandy?

by Anonymousreply 375February 16, 2019 5:34 PM

I'm so tired of horror trailers being a 3 minute summary of the movie

by Anonymousreply 376February 16, 2019 7:10 PM

^Seriously! Don't watch the 2nd trailer for "Us" at all, if you've heard of it or were interested. Oddly enough I loved catching the trailers before a flick but I end up closing my eyes for most of it these days if its something I want to watch.

by Anonymousreply 377February 16, 2019 7:39 PM

I've already seen Us R377. I go to as many test screenings and previews as I can before the hype starts. I actually got to EXPERIENCE the Pet Sematary twist.

by Anonymousreply 378February 16, 2019 7:50 PM

R377 well spill it! How are Us and Pet Sematary?

by Anonymousreply 379February 17, 2019 8:39 PM

Yes, r368.

by Anonymousreply 380February 17, 2019 9:07 PM

The new reboot of Child's Play looks good, I like the idea of Chucky being essentially a rogue AI.

by Anonymousreply 381February 17, 2019 9:35 PM

Speaking of Child’s Play, is anyone familiar with the completely different 1972 film (adapted from a play) starring Beau Bridges and James Mason? About abuses and strange goings-on at a boys’ school? I just bought the blu ray last week. I was engrossed throughout (although I kept falling asleep and having to resume it the following nights), but the ending was a major letdown. I said to myself, “That’s it?”

by Anonymousreply 382February 17, 2019 9:42 PM

With all of the comments about Argento, I started thinking about some of the late 60's/early 70's British horror.

Hammer pretty much went to shit by the early 70's, (DEMONS OF THE MIND and TASTE THE BLOOD OF DRACULA are exceptions), but there were a few films from other studios that are more interesting from the late 60's and that period: WITCHFINDER GENERAL, SCREAM AND SCREAM AGAIN, the first DR. PHIBES film, CRUCIBLE OF TERROR, THEATER OF BLOOD.

by Anonymousreply 383February 17, 2019 10:11 PM

DARK PLACES, r383. 1973. Christopher Lee, Robert Hardy, Joan Collins, Herbert Lom, Jean Marsh, Jane Birkin. Paranormal/psychotic/homicidal themes. I have loved it all my life. Desperate to see it get a blu ray release. It’s only ever been on VHS. Oh the humanity!

by Anonymousreply 384February 17, 2019 10:31 PM

Dario was hit or miss but his contemporary Fulci was definitely more miss.

by Anonymousreply 385February 19, 2019 8:44 PM

Fulci's films are incoherent with gross out scenes tossed in. New York Ripper is downright disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 386February 19, 2019 9:07 PM

New York Ripper is the best Fulci I’ve seen. The rest are unwatchable crap.

by Anonymousreply 387February 19, 2019 10:03 PM

Mandy was awesome. It was so over the top that Nick Cage's acting wasn't a distraction.

by Anonymousreply 388February 19, 2019 10:23 PM

Fulci could build a decent mood/atmosphere, but he wasn't quite as stylish as Argento, so his equally bad scripts tend to stand out a bit more. There's less to disguise the flaws. I also find most of his films weirdly paced. There's never much urgency and I always just want to fall asleep.

Argento's great period was '75-'87 while Daria Nicolodi was working with him. I think it can't just be a coincidence that, the minute she steps into his life, his films truly comes to life and he enters his best decade and, the minute she stops working with him, he becomes bland and lifeless. She truly must have been a muse. I wouldn't be surprised if we discover later that Daria is like Glenn Close's character in The Wife and maybe she had more of a hand in Dario's work at that time than we really knew. I assume she didn't help out much with Mother of Tears, though. LOL!

by Anonymousreply 389February 20, 2019 1:21 AM

25 Horror B Movies

Actually Worth Watching

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 390February 20, 2019 5:14 PM

killer bump

by Anonymousreply 391February 20, 2019 6:54 PM

So, is the person who caught test screenings of Pet Sematary and Us going to let us know if they're any good?

by Anonymousreply 392February 20, 2019 8:33 PM

I liked both, but Pet Sematary has never been one of my favorites, so hardcore fans might feel differently. Carrie is one of my favorites, and I hated the remake.

Us is really good and interesting, but I'm not sure I GET it, so I'm looking forward to Peele's press tour so I can see what he meant.

I also saw a test screening of HDD2U. It's about 80-85% the same as the finished product. I'd describe it as same bones, different meat.

by Anonymousreply 393February 20, 2019 8:38 PM

Wow! So you'd say the new Pet Sematary actually improved upon the original? I loved the novel, but the original film has some shoddy acting here and there. How do they handle Zelda? Is she at least still scary?

by Anonymousreply 394February 20, 2019 10:11 PM

I didn't say it improved R394, just that I never LOVED the original so a remake isn't blasphemy to me the way Carrie was.

Zelda is still scary.

by Anonymousreply 395February 21, 2019 12:03 AM

Has anyone on here seen any of the films in R390?

by Anonymousreply 396February 21, 2019 7:08 PM

Yes, r396. A lot of them are very well-known. Some of them are okay.

Weird list, though. I don’t think the one guy who compiled it comes off as any kind of authority. Plus he seems to gravitate toward sci-fi/horror hybrids. Seems a bit immature. The movies listed in this thread are a much safer bet — the classics, anyway. There’s a lot of newfangled mainstream garbage listed in this thread.

I would say almost any horror movie from the 60s through the mid 80s is worth trying out. The worst of them seem to be the giallos, though.

by Anonymousreply 397February 22, 2019 3:22 AM

Black Christmas was good, but there's no way some of those lines would fly today.

by Anonymousreply 398February 24, 2019 12:28 PM

Krampus

by Anonymousreply 399February 24, 2019 12:32 PM

I watch Incident in a Ghostland last night and now I'm scared to see Martyrs.

by Anonymousreply 400February 24, 2019 4:16 PM

[Quote] I watch Incident in a Ghostland last night and now I'm scared to see Martyrs.

The mother and daughter's botox was somewhat distracting.

by Anonymousreply 401February 25, 2019 10:44 AM

Black Christmas was good but its lead Olivia Hussey was a weak spot.

by Anonymousreply 402February 25, 2019 12:18 PM

Black Christmas is scarier than Halloween to me. Probably because it didn't have a legion of sequels out to destroy its legacy. Maybe Halloween would still have the same impact if there had never been any sequels. Who knows? I think some films just don't hold up to oodles of sequels. The stories were too simple to withstand 90 minutes, let alone 40 sequels.

Maybe it's because I saw the first Halloween in the mid-90s after there had been 6 entries in the series. I almost wish I could have been able to have seen it in the late 70's to really feel the impact.

by Anonymousreply 403February 25, 2019 7:02 PM

[Quote] Black Christmas is scarier than Halloween to me.

I think Halloween is scarier but those phone calls were fucking disturbing.

by Anonymousreply 404February 26, 2019 11:19 AM

I think a lot of it depends on when you saw Halloween. For those who saw it in the original theatrical run before there were dozens of sequels, it was probably terrifying. I have a feeling that most of us caught it on TV or VHS well into the run of the franchise, so we always knew while watching it "Michael's going to come back and things will probably get a lot less scary." And boy, did they ever. I think Halloween II is probably the closest to capturing the mood of the original (contrary to popular belief, I don't think the new film felt ANYTHING like the original film in style, mood, or pacing) and it has some really creepy moments, but the brother/sister twist painted the franchise into a pretty crappy corner.

Black Christmas has been able to retain its dignity and leave the audience with that creepy open ending that asks more questions than it answers. I remember being very disturbed by that ending when I first saw the film. I think it's a masterpiece. Even that cheesy remake that felt like a Goosebumps episode didn't ruin its reputation. It still holds up.

by Anonymousreply 405February 26, 2019 4:00 PM

I was pretty depressed by the new Halloween myself. You had everyone involved talking about how they were wiping the slate clean (which needed to happen) and going back to the style and feel of the original (good!) and getting rid of the brother/sister thing (thank Christ!), but then it ended up feeling like generic action movie. There were no characters to latch onto and zero suspense/scares. It felt more like a latter Friday the 13th sequel than a follow up to the original Halloween. Issues aside, I thought H20 handled the Laurie Strode character in a much more interesting way. At least she had a character arc there instead of just being a badass bitch from frame one. I don't find that very interesting to watch.

by Anonymousreply 406February 26, 2019 4:03 PM

Here' s a fewof B horror movies I thought were interesting. They're all about vampires and were all from the seventies:

"Grave of the Vampire." It gets started pretty quickly. A guy drives his girl (both of them look too old for the characters they're playing) to a graveyard (?) to make out and talk about their future. For some inexplicable reason a vampire emerges from his tomb on that very night and is very hungry. He attacks the guy and kills him rather graphically; while he does this the girl howls in terror but makes no effort to run away. After quenching his blood thirst on the neck of the guy, the vampire turns his attention to the girl; instead of killing her he drags her into an open grave and rapes her. Some months later she gives birth to a strange "grey" baby that won't drink milk. Cutting herself accidentally, a few drops of blood fall on the baby's lips and she finally knows what her baby craves. She sacrifices her life to feed him with her lifeblood. The baby, who grows into a vampire/human half breed, is determined to find his father and kill him. William Smith plays the adult vampire baby. THe movie doesn't make sense in parts, but that's true of a lot of horror movies. Anyway, it's pretty gross in some scenes and an entertaining low budget horror movie.

"Count Yorga, Vampire." Vampire tale about a vampire who comes to L. A. to feast on young women. There's an infamous gross out scene with a woman descending into vampirism and a cat. They vampire fangs look like they came from a novelty shop, but the movie is fun to watch. And it was so successful there was a sequel.

"Lemora: A Child's Tale of the Supernatural." This movie had different titles: "Lemora, Lady Dracula" and "The Legendary Curse of Lemora." Set in the prohibition era, it tells the story of a young girl named LIla who gets word that her estranged gangster father wants to see her before she dies. Lila is an angelic innocent who sings in church; she's been looked after by a Reverend who struggles with forbidden feelings towards her as she is approaching young womanhood. She goes to see her father; she ends up in a strange town and encounters monstrous beings but is rescued by Lemora, a menacing woman who seems to be in charge of all the weird going's on. Turns out Lemora is a vampire who wants to induct Lila into her world of lust and blood drinking. Cheryl "Rainbeaux" Smith makes a lovely Lila. And Lesley Gilb is truly effective as the grey-faced, domineering, blood thirsty Lemora. This is really a very unusual horror movie and definitely worth seeing.

by Anonymousreply 407February 26, 2019 9:31 PM

Count Yorga, Vampire is extremely excellent. All the acting is really great and the script is funny and there is a hot guy or two in it. Wonderful stuff. The sequel is not as good. I own both on blu ray.

by Anonymousreply 408February 27, 2019 7:10 AM

[Quote] I think a lot of it depends on when you saw Halloween.

I didn't see it until the early 00s.

[Quote] Black Christmas has been able to retain its dignity and leave the audience with that creepy open ending that asks more questions than it answers. I remember being very disturbed by that ending when I first saw the film. I think it's a masterpiece. Even that cheesy remake that felt like a Goosebumps episode didn't ruin its reputation. It still holds up.

Did the remake get much attention?? I haven't seen it yet but i keep hearing it's terrible.

by Anonymousreply 409February 27, 2019 1:05 PM

Denis Gifford's "Pictorial History of Horror Movies" has a section in it on Tod Slaughter's Victorian-style melodrama films from the 1930s like "Sweeney Todd" and "Murder in the Red Barn," which always intrigued me as they're pretty much unknown in America. Recently I found a cache of them online. They're actually really good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 410February 27, 2019 1:35 PM

Another rare vintage horror find online: "The Lady and the Monster," an adaptation of "Donovan's Brain" featuring an eight miles high-camp performance by Erich von Stroheim (who no doubt also had a hand in the film's lusciously eerie look.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 411February 27, 2019 1:41 PM

The Black Christmas remake came and went rather quickly if I remember. It played for about a week or two where I was living at the time and most people have forgotten about it. That's the funny thing about remakes - if they're bad, the public seems to forget they ever happened after a few years. I was walking in a Wal-Mart or Target a few years ago and saw DVDs of The Stepfather, The Hitcher, and Prom Night remakes and thought "They remade those? That's news to..." and then I realized I saw them in theaters. That's how unmemorable and worthless they were.

There are precious few remakes with staying power. Even ones like Texas Chainsaw and Dawn of the Dead that were decently received upon release aren't talked about much these days. One of the few I hear people still talking about is the remake of The Hills Have Eyes, which I really did believe usurped the original film (which I never really cared for.) IT was a mean, brutal little movie. The Ring is still spoken of highly as well.

by Anonymousreply 412February 27, 2019 5:28 PM

Can we get a fucking LIST r390? Not watching some neckbeard sperg on for 15 minutes when the films are probably just from someone else's list anyway.

by Anonymousreply 413February 27, 2019 6:45 PM

The neckbeard in R390 vid thinks Invasion of the Body Snatchers w Donald Sutherland is a B horror film. This is why we can't trust millennials with anything.

by Anonymousreply 414February 27, 2019 6:57 PM

Exactly, R414. I fear for our future. So many young people just don’t understand these concepts. They’re too subtle, or something. It’s why almost all horror movies made by Millennials terrible.

by Anonymousreply 415February 27, 2019 7:07 PM

r415 - the guy is listing films that were major theatrical releases. Even Killer Klowns was in the theater and on HBO like every night back in the day. I skimmed the video but I don't see any of the *obvious* B movies even mentioned at all. Does this guy think all horror by definition unless it's something like Deniro's Frankenstein, are B movies? And my god, he seems to have a following.

And I agree, I can't watch new horror at all, it's horrible. Certainly the ones made in the US/UK/Canada. There are a few exceptions I guess but they're generally foreign or foreign-produced.

by Anonymousreply 416February 27, 2019 7:19 PM

You’re a man after my own heart, R416.

by Anonymousreply 417February 27, 2019 7:21 PM

r417 - * putting down my VCR remote to hug you * lmao

by Anonymousreply 418February 27, 2019 7:23 PM

I love horror movies and a lot that have been mentioned are great. “Oculus” has not been mentioned. I think Netflix still has it. Watch it!

by Anonymousreply 419February 27, 2019 7:56 PM

One side note regarding the original "The Stepfather" from 1987, towards the beginning of the film when Terry O'Quinn strips down to shower, if you closely at the mirror, you can catch a brief glimpse of his dick from what I recall.

by Anonymousreply 420February 27, 2019 8:36 PM

The Stepfather is excellent. The first sequel wasn't that bad either. The remake was the definition of unmemorable. Like a Lifetime movie. I just remember Penn Badgely spend 94% of the movie shirtless.

by Anonymousreply 421February 27, 2019 9:03 PM

Oculus fizzled out for me. I only have a few recs from the 2000s/2010s. Let The Right One In, Rare Exports, The Guest, As Above So Below, The Witch, Primer, Goodnight Mommy, Beyond the Black Rainbow, The Pact, The Last Winter(a good movie regardless of genre). Drag Me To Hell was sort of fun, and Ginger Snaps was a good chick flick. I think the last 2 David Lynch movies are solid horror recs too. And I also liked "Mother!" and Get Out, and Clown.

by Anonymousreply 422February 27, 2019 9:04 PM

Oops I forgot one of my favorites!! Escape From Tomorrow

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 423February 27, 2019 9:09 PM

Fulci's The Beyond is excellent. Also Zombi 2 , A Lizard in a Woman's Skin. Mike Flanagan's The Haunting of Hill House/ "Bent Neck Lady" has a very similar ending from a Fulci film called Don't Torture a Duckling. HMMM

So, I don't understand the hatred in this thread towards these Italian directors. I love giallo films.

by Anonymousreply 424February 28, 2019 4:43 AM

I don't recall Hill House having anything similar to Don't Torture A Duckling in it. Did I miss something?

Duckling is probably one of Fulci's best film if not THE best. Some of his films can get a little too lethargic at times, but his imagery is great. Some of them just lack a lot of excitement or narrative drive.

by Anonymousreply 425February 28, 2019 5:08 AM

Don’t Torture A Duckling is a rare giallo I actually liked. The Bird With the Crystal Plumage was pretty good. Is NY Ripper a giallo? I normally think I hate giallos because they’re always so ultimately ridiculous, but the more I think about them...

The Iron Rose isn’t a giallo but it should appeal to fans of the genre.

The Stepfather is so good! Yes you can clearly see McQuinn’s ass, bush, and small cock before he gets in the shower right in the beginning of the movie. I just started watching it again the other night. Amazon Prime has a gorgeous HD stream of it currently.

by Anonymousreply 426February 28, 2019 5:24 AM

[Quote] I was walking in a Wal-Mart or Target a few years ago and saw DVDs of The Stepfather, The Hitcher, and Prom Night remakes and thought "They remade those? That's news to..." and then I realized I saw them in theaters.

I didn't mind The Hitcher or Prom Night. They weren't good but also not the worst.

[Quote] Even ones like Texas Chainsaw and Dawn of the Dead that were decently received upon release aren't talked about much these days. One of the few I hear people still talking about is the remake of The Hills Have Eyes, which I really did believe usurped the original film (which I never really cared for.) IT was a mean, brutal little movie. The Ring is still spoken of highly as well.

The Texas Chainsaw remake will always be memorable to me thanks to that vagina gun scene lol. And i thought Dawn Of The Dead was good, it's the only decent movie Zack Snyder's done. I still haven't seen The Ring (entirely), i blame the scene with Amber Tamblyn in the closet.

by Anonymousreply 427February 28, 2019 12:50 PM

I really enjoyed The Conjuring movies. I've heard The Nun is terrible though??

by Anonymousreply 428March 4, 2019 11:45 AM

I hate slasher films. I like ghost stories.

by Anonymousreply 429March 4, 2019 11:48 AM

Can't wait to see Us! Hope it doesn't disappoint!

by Anonymousreply 430March 19, 2019 11:01 PM

The new version of "Pet Sematary" is coming out in April. I think it might be interesting. The next installment of "It" is coming out soon, too. But that no doubt will be more of the same, except the characters will be adults in that one.

by Anonymousreply 431March 19, 2019 11:25 PM

People are raving about both Us and the new Pet Sematary, so color me excited. I hope they're not empty hype like that shitty new Halloween movie.

by Anonymousreply 432March 20, 2019 2:19 AM

I'm looking forward to seeing both Us and Pet Semetary.

by Anonymousreply 433March 20, 2019 4:54 AM

I love horror films but horror hype is the worst. Seeing stuff blind is the only way these days

by Anonymousreply 434March 20, 2019 5:01 AM

Can anyone tell me what movie this scene is from? From what I remember, a forensics team use ultra violet light in a bedroom and it lights up the walls, ceiling, floor and bed all covered in blood, as well as the victims bloody hand prints smeared everywhere. And the owners of the house are sitting on the bed in total shock.

by Anonymousreply 435March 20, 2019 5:21 AM

Would anyone get upset if I ask R378 what the twist is in Pet Semetary?

by Anonymousreply 436March 20, 2019 5:24 AM

R436 It's in the trailer

by Anonymousreply 437March 20, 2019 5:28 AM

OK thanks

by Anonymousreply 438March 20, 2019 6:03 AM

Horror fans should check this out

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 439March 20, 2019 6:20 AM

Can someone explain Hole in the Ground to me ?

Spoiler belower.

She spends the whole movie saying the kid is not her son. So it turns out turns out she is crazy and having visions and it turns out the boy she calls her son is a random boy she has kidnapped. Right ?

by Anonymousreply 440March 20, 2019 2:14 PM

Can anyone tell me what movie this scene is from? From what I remember, a forensics team use ultra violet light in a bedroom and it lights up the walls, ceiling, floor and bed all covered in blood, as well as the victims bloody hand prints smeared everywhere. And the owners of the house are sitting on the bed in total shock.

It's from a tv movie starring Valerie Bertinelli entitled "In A Child's Name." It was based on a true story, but that scene never happened in real life. The authorities did use ultra violet light in a bedroom to find traces of blood, but the dramatic scene where the couple (I think the couple are the parents of the murderer) in the bed turns off the light and and the whole room lights up with blood stains didn't happen.

by Anonymousreply 441March 20, 2019 8:32 PM

Thanks R441 much appreciated!

by Anonymousreply 442March 21, 2019 6:09 AM

I saw FEARLESS VAMPIRE KILLERS (1967) on TV recently and don't know what to make of it.

It's horror-comedy, obviously, but the tone is so weird and the pacing so bizarre. Maybe it's just dated? This is one of the few cases where I think a musical adaptation (TANZ DER VAMPIRES) improved massively on the film.

There's also the Polanski problem, and how to consider the movie separate from the real-life horror of the man.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 443March 21, 2019 9:26 AM

I too didn't know what to make of "The Fearless Vampire Killers." Polanski tried to make something he called "a dark fairy tale" but it came out a mess. He said it was because some film editor butchered it, cutting 20 minutes from it and redubbing the actor's voices to make them more American sounding. Maybe that's why you can hardly understand anything anybody says in this film. He also added a "ridiculous cartoon prologue." Polanski said that he felt "the way a mother must feel when she's given birth to a deformed child." He tried to get his name taken off the credits, but that didn't happen. Later on, there was a director's cut of the movie was released, but I didn't think it was much better. It's still not that scary, not that funny, and not that interesting. I did like the musical score though; I thought it was appropriately eerie; it was probably the scariest thing about the movie.

Polanski wanted his then lover Jill St. John to play Sarah the innkeeper's daughter, but the studio wanted him to use the up and coming young starlet Sharon Tate. A frowsy red wig was used to maker her look more Jewish. It didn't work; she didn't look more Jewish, she just looked like she was wearing a bad wig. It's too bad Sharon Tate was cast in this movie. If she hadn't been in "The Fearless Vampire Killers' she never would have gotten involved with Roman Polanski, and she never would have gotten married to him, and never would gone to live at 10500 Cielo Drive and never would have...well, you know.

by Anonymousreply 444March 22, 2019 2:52 AM

An early 70s British film called Blood on Satan's Claw (aka Satan's Skin) was good if memory serves me well. It, along with Witchfinder General and The Wicker Man, were part of a mini subgenre called 'folk-horror' as they were concerned with paganism, witchcraft etc rather than the Gothic produced by Hammer. Speaking of which, I agree with the earlier comment that they had pretty much lost it by the 70s though The Vampire Lovers and Vampire Circus have their moments. Not scary in the least, but interesting films nonetheless.

Of modern films, I'd cast another vote for the Spanish film Veronica - atmospheric and scary and made more so by knowing it's based on a true story. The Ritual was also good for most of it's running time but like many 'monster' films, it became less effective once the creature , along with the 'mystery', was revealed. Even so, it's worth watching. I also like both versions of Let the Right One In and The Woman in Black. The formers are good twists on the vampire genre and the latter are classic creepy ghost stories. Finally I'd also recommend the New Zealand comedy-horror flick What We Do in the Shadows. Any film that has a vampire sending a werewolf running off chasing an imaginary thrown stick gets a tick from me.

by Anonymousreply 445March 22, 2019 5:08 AM

I do wonder if it's possible for a film to be truly effective by never showing the monster/ghost/slasher/creature, etc. It seems like the one thing so many horror films have in common is how they instantly become a lot less scary once the evil is revealed and shown in bright light. I guess the original The Haunting does this, but I can't think of many more. Even really smart, artsy horror films that are so creepy, scary, and atmospheric in their first/2nd acts fall apart once they reveal the threat.

I think that's why Halloween is so effective, too. Although we see Michael Myers in the daylight, it's always from far away and he's always sorta blurry and then, you blink, and he's gone. He's mostly shot in shadows for the rest of the movie.

by Anonymousreply 446March 22, 2019 5:13 AM

R446 How about The Blair Witch Project?

by Anonymousreply 447March 22, 2019 5:15 AM

I guess some like Blair Witch, but I found it a bit meh.

by Anonymousreply 448March 22, 2019 5:18 AM

Has anyone seen this one? Any good?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 449March 22, 2019 5:32 AM

R449 not yet. It's on my list.

by Anonymousreply 450March 22, 2019 5:47 AM

I did not care for Cam?

Has anyone seen Hole in the Ground ?

by Anonymousreply 451March 22, 2019 8:14 AM

Just finished watching Cam. It's not a horror film at all but it was very entertaining to watch. I think many people hate it because it's one of those films where many things remain unexplained in the end and are left to the viewer's imagination to figure out.

by Anonymousreply 452March 23, 2019 6:53 AM

If you enjoy Gothic horror and film noir, I highly recommend The Spiral Staircase (1945) starring Ethel Barrymore and directed by Robert Siodmak.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 453March 24, 2019 2:46 PM

I just saw hole in the ground last night. It was ok. Could have definitely been better. Very good acting but story was just meh.

by Anonymousreply 454March 24, 2019 4:46 PM

I love Blair Witch.

by Anonymousreply 455March 24, 2019 4:46 PM

R455 - Love you too!

Mwah!

by Anonymousreply 456March 24, 2019 7:07 PM

"The Innocents" - 1961

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 457March 24, 2019 7:17 PM

Really liked "Halloween 2018" and really hated "Hereditary". I prefer ghost stories to pure Horror - "The Changeling" with George C. Scott is a good one.

by Anonymousreply 458March 24, 2019 7:20 PM

Us was not a horror film. It definitely felt like an extended Twilight Zone episode. More bizarre than horrifying. I think I enjoyed it, for some of the optics and visuals, but the story def left me disappointed more than satisfied.

by Anonymousreply 459March 26, 2019 3:12 AM

I hated "The Blair Witch Project." So overrated. The plot was ripped off from "Cannibal Holocaust (the "found footage" angle)." The shaky camera (I guess that effect was used to make the movie seem more "authentic") gave me a headache. And the "iconic" scene were the stupid girl has the camera right up to her nose got laughs from the audience I saw it with.

by Anonymousreply 460March 26, 2019 3:30 AM

I'm a bit of an amateur dj and I've sampled "The Innocents" just for my own amusement, the creepy opening theme, the songs/humming/music box, the hide and seek sequence, and of course Miles' creepy poem about his dead lover rising from the grave. I friggin love that movie.

by Anonymousreply 461March 26, 2019 10:02 PM

[Quote] And the "iconic" scene were the stupid girl has the camera right up to her nose got laughs from the audience I saw it with.

Hence the spoof in Scary Movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 462March 27, 2019 5:28 AM

[quote] I hated "The Blair Witch Project." So overrated. The plot was ripped off from "Cannibal Holocaust (the "found footage" angle)." The shaky camera (I guess that effect was used to make the movie seem more "authentic") gave me a headache. And the "iconic" scene were the stupid girl has the camera right up to her nose got laughs from the audience I saw it with.

I hated it too. It was so totally hyped with its "documentaries" airing on MTV, SyFy and the History Channels. So me and my friends (all horror fanatics) went to see the "scariest film since the Exorcist." Meanwhile, the film consisted of three of the most annoying people [the actress with her over dramatic voice......] who didn't do much more than scream at each other, wander around and then haul ass away from their unseen supernatural threat. I was bored and unimpressed. I've seen made for television films on CBS that were far scarier. But I appreciate their brilliant marketing campaign. And give them credit for popularizing the found footage horror sub genre, even though it was more effective in Paranormal Activity. IMO.

by Anonymousreply 463March 27, 2019 5:51 AM

What other horror movies from 2018 are worth watching?

According to Letterboxd I've only seen 6 from last year and I wasn't that crazy about any of them: A Quiet Place (meh), Hereditary (liked the atmosphere/mood), Suspiria (too much old man Tilda, but a good atmosphere/mood), Halloween (I liked it for the most part, but i'm sure that's because the theater had a good audience), Unsane (forgotten all about it), and The Nun (awful).

I'm in the mood for a horror film tonight, but I can't think of any that I haven't seen that look appealing.

by Anonymousreply 464March 31, 2019 3:26 AM

The Malevolence movies are quite good. They do that "Halloween without being Halloween" thing really well. The last one even made me jump a few times which is rare these days.

by Anonymousreply 465March 31, 2019 3:38 AM

[Quote] Halloween (I liked it for the most part, but i'm sure that's because the theater had a good audience)

I had a shitty audience but I still wasn't overly impressed. I prefer H20 in a lot of ways.

by Anonymousreply 466March 31, 2019 6:18 AM

I like that Halloween is a choose your own adventure book at this point. I have different moods and sometimes want a different timeline.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 467March 31, 2019 7:11 AM

R467 lol I love that!

by Anonymousreply 468March 31, 2019 11:33 AM

Has anyone here seen US and if so what is it about exactly?

by Anonymousreply 469March 31, 2019 11:05 PM

R469 Oh such a loaded question! I thought Us was amazing, even a work of art to me, and you can’t even really explain what it is about . You need to see it and come up with your own interpretations Go see it, and really pay attention when you do, you won’t be disappointed!

by Anonymousreply 470April 1, 2019 2:03 AM

R464, I started this thread and I just saw one tonight that someone mentioned and I was shockingly surprised. It does take a a good 45 minutes to get going but its very modern and VERY good. Unfriended- Dark Web.

Pleasant surprise.

by Anonymousreply 471April 1, 2019 2:09 AM

R471 how does it compare to the first movie?

by Anonymousreply 472April 1, 2019 7:36 AM

I can’t wait to see Pet Sementary.

I just saw Haunting On Fraternity Row it was well made but having CGI do all the scary stuff was a bad idea. I waited a long time to watch because I thought it was about a bunch of good looking girls but it was about good looking guys.

by Anonymousreply 473April 1, 2019 7:51 AM

HoFR was a Piece of SHIT!!!

by Anonymousreply 474April 1, 2019 8:32 AM

I remember the first Malevolence had some merit. I am watching 2 right now and it feels inspired by Saw.

by Anonymousreply 475April 1, 2019 9:21 AM

R464, I would highly recommend "Resolution" and it's even more awesome sequel "The Endless".

"Dead Snow", and "Dead Snow 2" - though these are horror/comedies in the spirit of the Evil Dead movies. Also, "Murder Party".

by Anonymousreply 476April 1, 2019 9:43 AM

Murder Party was bizarre and fun R476 I love horror comedies like that one. I read the synopsis of US and it sounds really interesting and scary but I'm not a big fan of ambiguous cliffhanger endings in movies of any genre.

by Anonymousreply 477April 1, 2019 4:46 PM

R472- 20 times better!!!! I mildly enjoyed the first one though.

This one takes ALOT longer to get going, but its much darker territory, EXTREMELY timely, and if you watch it on your laptop like I did, you feel like you are IN THE FILM!!

It's very well done, and very disturbing. And not much blood either. (And I like more gore than less gore!)

by Anonymousreply 478April 1, 2019 11:19 PM

[quote] 25 Horror B Movies Actually Worth Watching

Sorry Dude, but "Invasion Of The Body Snatchers" 1978 wasn't a B movie but a big budget Hollywood A, and a hit too. And "Evil Dead" is a well known bonafide classic that begat 2 sequels and a TV show. People have seen it.

by Anonymousreply 479April 2, 2019 12:23 PM

[Quote] and if you watch it on your laptop like I did, you feel like you are IN THE FILM!!

I remember i had trouble keeping up with the first film when i saw it at the cinemas. But it was definitely better when i watched it on my laptop.

by Anonymousreply 480April 2, 2019 1:53 PM

I said this before but was ignored but I’m liking Into The Dark a series of short movies on Hulu I think the recent one I’m Just Fucking With You is the best one. It starts out kinda like After Hours and then turns Very dark. This is a Blumhouse production.

by Anonymousreply 481April 6, 2019 12:55 AM

Checked out Annabelle. It was ok but I thought Alfre Woodard did a terrible job. Also didn't need the magical negro trope.

by Anonymousreply 482April 6, 2019 1:43 AM

R459 You can watch here the the Twilight Zone episode that helped inspire Jordan Peele’s Us. It's called ‘Mirror Image,’ with Vera Miles:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 483April 6, 2019 6:08 AM

There's still something about this one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 484April 6, 2019 6:35 AM

i'm watching Pyewacket on Hulu right now. Around 80 % on RT. Hasn't grabbed me yet...

by Anonymousreply 485April 6, 2019 7:09 AM

R483 An iconic Twilight Zone episode if ever there was one. The final scene scared the crap out of me. A bit of trivia...

[quote]The station also inspired Binghamton-native and Twilight Zone creator Rod Serling. A similar setting appeared in the popular episode Mirror Image. “It was very reminiscent of what he remembered of this station," says Luther. A lot has changed since Serling wrote about it. For instance, you can now get your tickets online, but you can still go old school and visit the ticket window. And that neon greyhound still runs over the sign out front.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 486April 7, 2019 5:08 AM

Thinking about signing up for CBS All Acess. Is the new Twilight Zone worth it ? Are all the episodes race related ?

by Anonymousreply 487April 7, 2019 6:27 AM

I loved halloween. Also The Ring (2002), silence of the lambs, woman in black, it follows. I thought the witch was very boring.

I like older horror movies from the 80s, 90s, and 2000s. They were much scarier. Back then they had to put more effort in the background music, film effects, and atmosphere. Most of the newer ones lack the creepy tension that old films have..

by Anonymousreply 488April 7, 2019 6:35 AM

Just watched "The Nun" on HBO, part of the ridiculous "Conjuring" series. Completely devoid of scares, tension or thrills. But plenty of "scary" (yawn) music cues and people flying backwards and hitting walls which is all these films offer.

by Anonymousreply 489April 7, 2019 8:10 AM

I enjoyed the Conjuring movies. The Annabelle spin-offs are ok. Although I did see the trailer for the third Annabelle and it looks utterly stupid.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 490April 7, 2019 8:24 AM

The Nun was awful.

The Annabelle, movie with the couple in the apartment in LA, was scary. The apartment used in the film was one of Ellen D's first residences when she moved to California. That place was huge.

by Anonymousreply 491April 7, 2019 8:52 AM

Conjuring 2 supposed to be good. Haven't seen it.

by Anonymousreply 492April 7, 2019 9:00 AM

Pet Sematary was unexpectedly dark. Have to say I was pleasantly surprised. This and The Prodigy were the best horror movies this year so far. I also have high hopes for Ma. The trailer looks very promising.

by Anonymousreply 493April 7, 2019 9:06 AM

Ma looks like fun. I've never seen Octavia play crazy before.

by Anonymousreply 494April 7, 2019 10:55 AM

Why are the vampires in the FX "What We Do In The Shadows" series so fat?

by Anonymousreply 495April 12, 2019 2:12 PM

I'm so excited about Ma. It just seemed to come out of nowhere with zero hype behind it or any plot descriptions floating out there. It looks like one of those great psycho biddy movies from the 60's and 70's. I hope Octavia camps it up and has a ball.

by Anonymousreply 496April 12, 2019 5:28 PM

i w3ouldnt call the director of The Help great (even though I like the movie)I will be surprised if he does a good horror movie...

by Anonymousreply 497April 13, 2019 12:06 AM

Tate Taylor certainly drained all the tension out of The Girl on the Train. I never read the book, but I hated the movie. So boring.

by Anonymousreply 498April 13, 2019 1:09 AM

Has anyone here seen that creepy puppet move Poe and if so was it good? Question about Pet Semetary, are the people that come back actually alive or just possessed corpses because people would kind of notice a family of rotting zombies.

by Anonymousreply 499April 13, 2019 1:20 AM

The Girl On The Train was such a waste of everyone's time. And it's a shame because I thought Emily did a good job. It also felt like Allison Janney was there for about 30 seconds.

by Anonymousreply 500April 13, 2019 4:00 AM

Not a film, but "Black Summer" on Netflix is pretty solid. Extremely simple, but effective:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 501April 13, 2019 9:25 PM

When I see something about zombie I say not another one ! Samantha Morton is a favorite actress of mine I still didn’t watch recent season.

by Anonymousreply 502April 13, 2019 11:16 PM

R502 I like her, too. She's courageous and uninhibited. You can tell she gives 100%. Her acting is an immersive experience.

by Anonymousreply 503April 13, 2019 11:40 PM

Yes, r503, she was excellent in, "Harlots".

by Anonymousreply 504April 13, 2019 11:46 PM

"Question about Pet Semetary, are the people that come back actually alive or just possessed corpses because people would kind of notice a family of rotting zombies."

In the novel it appears that the dead person or animal that comes back from the dead comes back changed in some way but is not a rotting corpse. They're dead...but alive. In some cases, like it way with Jud's dog, they come back kind of slow and stunned and zombielike. Jud said that washing his returned from the dead dog was like washing "a piece of breathing meat." But in the case of a bull named Hanratty, the animal became totally murderous, attacking anything that moved. Timmy Baterman, the soldier whose father takes his body to the Micmac burial ground, doesn't kill anybody but is some kind of an all knowing, demonic, retarded looking creep. Church comes back not particularly dangerous (except to birds and mice and whatnot) but definitely evil. Gage comes back a killing machine. Who knows what Rachel is like when she comes back, but I doubt the outcome is good. At any rate, it seems that burying a pet might not cause that much trouble but burying a human in the Micmac burial ground is bound to be disastrous.

by Anonymousreply 505April 14, 2019 12:15 AM

Is anyone going to see that La Llorona movie?

by Anonymousreply 506April 15, 2019 10:21 PM

What do we think of the Child's Play remake?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 507April 19, 2019 7:55 PM

"Is anyone going to see that La Llorona movie?"

I'm supposed to see it this week end. I was going to see "Pet Sematary" but after finding out more about it (I know the ending now) I decided to skip it. The ending, I thought, was really crappy.

by Anonymousreply 508April 19, 2019 8:33 PM

R508 good idea. Hopefully the other movie is better lol

by Anonymousreply 509April 19, 2019 8:44 PM

The original The Woman in Black is up there with the most frightening movies I have seen. It will be considered too slow for younger viewers.

Fun Fact: The main actor played Harry Potters father.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 510April 19, 2019 8:45 PM

I think the CHild's Play film looks like the BEST WORST FILM EVER. Like EVER.

by Anonymousreply 511April 19, 2019 8:55 PM

[quote]Is anyone going to see that La Llorona movie?

I saw in the trailer that it uses the laziest horror special effect ever. The one where a human character's mouth or eyes suddenly turn really large and black, often with black liquid coming out? Leaning on that cheesy effect is, to me, an example of a lack of imagination in inducing fright.

I was kind of digging [italic]Grave Encounters[/italic] and then this happened and I turned it off. I was so disappointed.

It's almost as lame as the "suddenly speed up a character" thing where moving unnaturally fast is supposed to be so terrifying. That used to just be used in trailers, and I thought it was shit, but then they even started to do it in movies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 512April 19, 2019 9:08 PM

Ok I just checked RT and my suspicions appear to be true:

[quote]Content to coast on jump scares rather than tap into its story's creepy potential, The Curse of La Llorona arrives in theaters already broken.

by Anonymousreply 513April 19, 2019 9:11 PM

I like Linda Cardellini a lot (loved her in Green Book) but judging her by the trailer I don’t like her in this I know RT can be misleading but 36 is stinky. I finally saw Us and I loved but still I wonder if it would have worked as a B Movie.

I too was very much looking forward to watching Pet but the more I read the less I wanted to go. Once it was billed for having a high score. Now it has 58. We still have It 2 to look forward too.

Has anyone mentioned The Domestics on this thread ?

by Anonymousreply 514April 19, 2019 9:36 PM

R514 you mean this movie?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 515April 19, 2019 9:42 PM

Yes. Very highly rated. I believe Kate Bosworth had a hand in producing Never watched the series but I believe one of the hunks from a teen Wolf Stars.

by Anonymousreply 516April 20, 2019 8:44 AM

I just watched Us. It's on putlocker/the internet now. It was so twisted, but not that scary. I felt the same about last year's Get Out. I don't understand the critics who rate it for being " deep ". I don't think about the deeper meaning, I just want to be scared.

by Anonymousreply 517April 20, 2019 9:03 AM

R516 I thought it was bad. It had some cool ideas but the movie just didn't come together for me. The highlight was getting to see Tyler Hoechlin's hairy chest.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 518April 20, 2019 11:17 AM

I'm don't know what to make of Brightburn. And i'm wondering if Gunn's involvement with the movie will have any effect on it.

by Anonymousreply 519April 21, 2019 6:45 PM

"I SUPER FUCKING LOVED IT"

OP, this is a site for adults.

by Anonymousreply 520April 21, 2019 6:57 PM

Another great scene from The Innocents is when Kerr sees the male ghost staring down at her from atop a tower. Notice how all sounds stop for these moments, then start up again afterward. Brilliant use of sound to create mood.

Surprised no one has mentioned any of the classic Val Lewton films here: The Cat People, I Walked With a Zombie, The Leopard Man, The Curse of the Cat People. Essentially low-budget B pictures in their day, they’re all regarded as classics of the genre now. (And The Seventh Victim has a sequence when Kim Hunter in a shower is threatened by a shadowy villain, presaging Psycho by more than a decade.)

Also, of all his suspense films, Hitchcock’s The Birds is really more of a horror film, while Frenzy certainly has giallo moments. Both excellent films. (The Italian genre films were all influenced by Hitchcock.)

Even some other 40’s films certainly qualify as horror, like Hangover Square, immensely helped by Bernard Herrmann’s masterful score.

by Anonymousreply 521April 22, 2019 6:30 AM

Just saw, "Us". It was solid until the very end.

**** S P O I L E R ******

What a crappy twist, it made no sense that she would forget who she was, and as soon as she saw them, she would know what they are.

by Anonymousreply 522April 22, 2019 6:49 AM

[Quote] Surprised no one has mentioned any of the classic Val Lewton films here: The Cat People, I Walked With a Zombie, The Leopard Man, The Curse of the Cat People.

I've only seen the Cat People remake. Which was [italic]something else[/italic] lol

by Anonymousreply 523April 22, 2019 6:53 AM

Summer Of Fear was fun. It was nice seeing Fran Drescher without the screeching. And the scene where Linda Blair gets slapped is so fucking campy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 524May 28, 2019 2:25 AM

Boy, does LInda Blair look chubby and frumpy in "Season of Fear." And that perm is truly atrocious.

by Anonymousreply 525May 28, 2019 3:08 AM

Unsane was good and the first Happy Death Day. Horror ruins itself with too many sequels. Also people who post spoilers on here should die in a horror movie ( I skipped em tho )

by Anonymousreply 526May 28, 2019 3:23 AM

R525 I don't think she looked chubby but that hairdo was incredibly distracting lol

by Anonymousreply 527May 28, 2019 4:13 AM

I love horror but nothing scares me unfortunately. Nothing except 'Eden Lake' and I think that's because it's disturbingly real.

by Anonymousreply 528May 28, 2019 4:42 AM

Are there any scary horror films that are either gay-themed or have major gay characters? Most that I've seen are campy and ridiculous with very poor gore effects.

by Anonymousreply 529May 28, 2019 5:47 AM

R529 Nightmare On Elm Street 2

by Anonymousreply 530May 28, 2019 6:30 AM

Hellbent is the first major gay slasher. It's actually not that bad. Nothing remarkable, but a decent way to kill 90 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 531May 28, 2019 5:26 PM

Has anyone seen The Baby (1973)?

"A social worker, still reeling from the loss of her architect husband, investigates the eccentric, psychedelic Wadsworth Family, consisting of a mother, two daughters, and an adult son with the apparent mental capacity of an infant."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 532May 28, 2019 11:54 PM

Yes, R532. And?

by Anonymousreply 533May 29, 2019 12:38 AM

I had no idea Eileen Davidson was going to be in this. And the jumpcuts on the death scenes are terrible, as is some of the acting. I did like the creepy clown costume. They should have had a bit more of that creepiness in the remake.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 534May 29, 2019 1:14 AM

" I don't think she looked chubby but that hairdo was incredibly distracting lol."

Compared to the tall, slim Lee Purcell she looked kind of chub, especially her face. And the awful hair didn't help matters any.

by Anonymousreply 535May 29, 2019 1:34 AM

R535 well anyone would lol. Including Fran Drescher.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 536May 29, 2019 1:47 AM

The Baby is a cult classic ,dear. Most of us have seen it. DL made me want to watch it for the first time. Anjanette Comer has a pretty good career but never became a big star. She had a role in a major movie awhile back and disappeared.

Has anyone seen Hagazussa ? I’m a sucker for highly rated horror movies at RT. Regular people like us don’t seem to like it they describe it as an extreme slow burn but some compare it to Eraserhead which sounds interesting. I’m gonna watch it this weekend.

by Anonymousreply 537May 29, 2019 11:48 AM

Thanks R537; I'll check out The Baby. I was just curious if it was worth watching or a disaster.

by Anonymousreply 538May 29, 2019 1:31 PM

I think it is considered an almost so bad movie it is almost good. At the end you don’t know who to root for Baby’s crazy family or .... I don’t want to give it away.

by Anonymousreply 539May 29, 2019 1:48 PM

Why is the adult guy a Baby, did his family do something to him?

by Anonymousreply 540May 29, 2019 1:50 PM

The Baby is fascinating. It treads that line between actually interesting trash and so bad it's good.

by Anonymousreply 541May 29, 2019 6:27 PM

I don’t know. I don’t recall if there is something physically wrong with him or he acts like a baby because he is treated like one

by Anonymousreply 542May 30, 2019 6:22 AM

I can’t find Season of Fear anywhere. Not even YouTube.

Anjanette Comer’s last scene in The Loved One is something I’ll never forget and I saw it Many many years ago.

by Anonymousreply 543May 30, 2019 6:56 AM

I think I’ll check Out We Have Always Lived in the Castle. I have always liked Taissa Farmiga from AHS and what a shock Crispin Glover plays someone deranged. Also with sexy man Sebastian Stan.

I think I’ll check out Hagazussa. Toddles.

by Anonymousreply 544May 30, 2019 7:24 AM

I’m watching Hagazussa now and not impressed. Why cant they they make movies about hot men repressed and masturbating ?

by Anonymousreply 545May 30, 2019 8:25 AM

Please keep on ignoring me and do not watch. Hagazussa

by Anonymousreply 546May 30, 2019 9:16 AM

A baby is killed eaten by mother. Remember Mother !

by Anonymousreply 547June 2, 2019 7:05 PM

The Legend of Boggy Creek.

by Anonymousreply 548June 2, 2019 8:27 PM

So, now that we've seen Ma, what should we look forward to? Midsommar? Crawl? Child's play?

by Anonymousreply 549June 2, 2019 8:37 PM

It Chapter 2 ?

by Anonymousreply 550June 2, 2019 9:58 PM

Annabelle 3 in June

by Anonymousreply 551June 2, 2019 10:15 PM

Midsommar definitely. A friend of mine read the script and said it's insane. Aster really impressed me with Hereditary and that's one of the few films I've seen in the past few years that I can definitely say will become a horror classic, so I'm curious to see what he has up his sleeve.

by Anonymousreply 552June 2, 2019 10:16 PM

Just saw Ma this afternoon and enjoyed it. It's not perfect, but Octavia Spencer has never been better and she's clearly having the time of her life. I kinda hope that between this and Greta, it might reignite that crazy 40+ woman subgenre. I'd love to see people like Sharon Stone, Allison Janney, Laura Dern, etc. play crazy, knife wielding women.

I enjoyed the first It to an extent, but I thought it got a little too cheesy and whimsical in parts, which took away the scary factor for me. I hope Chapter 2 isn't more of the same, but it has a great cast and I hope it turns out ok. I'll give it a shot.

Midsommar is my most anticipated. I loved Hereditary.

by Anonymousreply 553June 2, 2019 10:18 PM

I thought Hereditary was overhyped, it didn't deliver.

But I'm feeling nostalgic about Chucky, so I'm really looking forward to the upcoming sequel. I miss the good 90's horror.

by Anonymousreply 554June 2, 2019 10:27 PM

R551 Annabelle 3 looks like shit.

The Warrens: Don't Do The Thing

Daughter's Friend: Does The Thing

by Anonymousreply 555June 3, 2019 1:18 AM

I always wondered Did the makers of Hereditary see or hear about the ending of Suspiria and steal the ending

Everyone forgets the first Child’s Play was Great so I expect the reboot should have the same standards although I can’t imagine it without Brad Dourif or Jennifer Tilly. They both went off the rails in terms of camp but they are pros and could have toned it down. The last few Chucky movies got good reviews.

by Anonymousreply 556June 3, 2019 4:48 AM

R556 is Jennifer Tilly in the first movie??

by Anonymousreply 557June 3, 2019 7:52 AM

R557

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 558June 3, 2019 7:54 AM

I guess my post was confusing. I was talking about the first Chucky which was deadly serious and sometime in the series became campy then switched to later films. Maybe with Bride of Chucky it started.

by Anonymousreply 559June 3, 2019 8:19 AM

Has anyone seen We Have Always Lived In The Castle ?

I must see every Sebastian Stan movie !

by Anonymousreply 560June 3, 2019 9:32 AM

R560 what's The Apparition like?

by Anonymousreply 561June 3, 2019 9:46 AM

Are they going to remake/reboot every classic horror movie? I fear for A Nightmare on Elm Street.

by Anonymousreply 562June 3, 2019 10:40 AM

R562 they already did that with Rooney Mara. I can see them trying to do another Friday The 13th remake though.

by Anonymousreply 563June 3, 2019 10:44 AM

R563 NOOO! Really? I must have missed that. God, how much did they ruin the original?

by Anonymousreply 564June 3, 2019 10:50 AM

I think it's an interesting take on the Child's Play story to have Chucky be a murderous malfunctioning AI rather than an evil spirit out for revenge.

by Anonymousreply 565June 3, 2019 11:57 AM

R565 well, it is very 2019.

by Anonymousreply 566June 3, 2019 1:31 PM

Done ! F13th 2009 with one of the Supernatural brothers.

by Anonymousreply 567June 3, 2019 1:33 PM

R567 it seems like they put out new sequels and reboots every decade. I wouldn't be surprised if they make a new F13th or The Omen again.

by Anonymousreply 568June 3, 2019 1:48 PM

R564 to be honest, i don't really remember much, other than i was disappointed with Tina's death. And i like Jackie Earle Haley, but he just wasn't the right fit for Freddy. Also don't know why they chose Rooney for Nancy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 569June 3, 2019 2:17 PM

We Have Always Lived In the Castle wasn’t much. Wasted money renting it. Don’t bother.

by Anonymousreply 570June 3, 2019 3:57 PM

The Nightmare remake had a few interesting ideas, but Rooney sunk it by being such a terrible, bland, dour Nancy. The switcheroo between "Tina" and Nancy was even more shocking and abrupt this time, because the Tina character stayed in the film for longer. I want to say she was in at least the first 30 minutes as opposed to the first 15/20 in the original. She even starts doing the detective work to figure out why she's having these dreams and who Freddy is.

A lot of people were grossed out and disturbed that they made Freddy full-on pedo, but he was always a pedo. They just didn't always talk about it as much.

Perhaps the biggest crime was wasting Connie Britton in the Ronee Blakely role, except this time, she wasn't a drunk or racked with guilt. It was a bland, cardboard cutout.

by Anonymousreply 571June 3, 2019 4:45 PM

I do find it amusing that so many horror films have been remade in the past 15 years and most of the general public has forgotten about them. Is anyone out there still thinking about and/or watching the remakes of The Fog, Prom Night, The Stepfather, Friday the 13th, A Nightmare on Elm Street, etc.? They were forgettable at best. Some of the decent ones still seem to have a nice shelf life such as Dawn of the Dead, The Hills Have Eyes, and House of Wax. I still hear people bringing those up every now and then.

by Anonymousreply 572June 3, 2019 4:47 PM

Oh my god Midsommer looks off the hook.

Very reminiscent of The Wicker Man, X 100.

by Anonymousreply 573June 3, 2019 5:44 PM

Who is everyone's favorite "final girl?"

The more obscure, the better.

by Anonymousreply 574June 3, 2019 6:22 PM

R574 - Fay Wray

by Anonymousreply 575June 3, 2019 6:43 PM

R574, I'm partial to Ginny from Friday the 13th Part 2 and Marti from Hell Night. Both smart and resourceful and don't make too many stupid decisions.

by Anonymousreply 576June 3, 2019 7:54 PM

I liked the final girl in the first F13 then they killed her off in the 2nd. Hope she got paid good It was her final role.

by Anonymousreply 577June 3, 2019 8:51 PM

[quote]Who is everyone's favorite "final girl?"

Ellen Ripley, of course.

[quote]The more obscure, the better.

Oops.

by Anonymousreply 578June 3, 2019 9:02 PM

Get Out takes a funny fanciful idle-barroom-chat notion and turns it into a horror film that makes a statement about race. Smart horror. I liked it a lot and I'm not a great fan of the genre. Yeah, Daniel Kaluuye (?) is eye candy too.

by Anonymousreply 579June 3, 2019 10:15 PM

SPOILERY!!!!!!!

Hereditary was good until the end. I HATED the, "please please please" scene was was relieved when she got the boot. I would have loved it if it was all really in her mind.

by Anonymousreply 580June 3, 2019 11:52 PM

[Quote] A lot of people were grossed out and disturbed that they made Freddy full-on pedo, but he was always a pedo. They just didn't always talk about it as much

Yeah, they weren't exactly subtle about it in the reboot.

[Quote] Is anyone out there still thinking about and/or watching the remakes of The Fog, Prom Night, The Stepfather, Friday the 13th, A Nightmare on Elm Street, etc.? They were forgettable at best. Some of the decent ones still seem to have a nice shelf life such as Dawn of the Dead, The Hills Have Eyes, and House of Wax. I still hear people bringing those up every now and then.

I own Prom Night, House Of Wax and The Friday The 13th remake on dvd. I didn't they were [italic]that[/italic] bad. Dawn Of The Dead was good. I can't believe it's the same guy who managed to fuck up BvS.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 581June 4, 2019 2:00 AM

The Friday The 13th reboot was DECENT. House of Wax was fun. The rest in your list SUCKED. Nightmare on Elm Street was an unmitigated and lifeless disaster.

by Anonymousreply 582June 4, 2019 2:02 AM

If they do another Friday movie, they should just set it in the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 583June 4, 2019 3:46 AM

Hollywood is running out of original ideas. I feel like a Jaws reboot is coming up.

by Anonymousreply 584June 4, 2019 10:34 AM

It's not about running out of ideas. There are plenty of them out there.

It's about money. Reboots have recall and memory branded already. They were successful before and therefore a safe investment.

So the thinking goes.

by Anonymousreply 585June 4, 2019 11:16 AM

R584 they should do Deep Blue Sea instead.

by Anonymousreply 586June 4, 2019 12:19 PM

I feel like some classics shouldn't be touched. Like The Exorcist. They'll just make a mess of it.

by Anonymousreply 587June 4, 2019 3:14 PM

The Exorcist TV series was surprisingly good. A shame it was cancelled. It was better than any of the sequels (well, except 3. I have a soft spot for that one).

The other poster was right about most of the remakes just coming and going and being forgotten. They're such shameless, passionless money grabs that, of course, they have no staying power. Yet, people are still watching the originals. I always hate when someone says that a remake will taint the reputation of the original film, because I've never seen that happen. If it's mediocre or truly shitty, people will forget about them within a month or two and, if they're decent or wonderful, they can stand up as a nice companion piece to the original.

The Fly, The Blob, The Thing, Texas Chainsaw, Night of the Living Dead (the Tom Savini remake), Dawn of the Dead, House of Wax, The Town That Dreaded Sundown, The Hills Have Eyes, and Suspiria at least all felt like they had some passion behind them and something to say. I think these will stick with us for awhile. A little passion goes a long way.

On the other hand, someone had to remind me last week that Carrie has been remade TWICE. They must have really made an impact on me.

by Anonymousreply 588June 4, 2019 7:27 PM

"Daniel Isn't Real" is supposed to be interesting and have a gay subtext.

by Anonymousreply 589June 4, 2019 10:36 PM

R588 Agree. Sequels and remakes are usually pretty forgettable. However, I loved the recent reboots of It and Pet Sematary.

by Anonymousreply 590June 5, 2019 10:36 AM

[Quote] The Fly, The Blob, The Thing, Texas Chainsaw, Night of the Living Dead (the Tom Savini remake), Dawn of the Dead, House of Wax, The Town That Dreaded Sundown, The Hills Have Eyes, and Suspiria at least all felt like they had some passion behind them and something to say.

With HOW it's because i wanted to see Paris Hilton die.

[Quote] However, I loved the recent reboots of It and Pet Sematary.

I was disappointed with Pet Semetary. I don't think Jason Clarke was the right choice for Louis. And i hated the ending.

by Anonymousreply 591June 5, 2019 1:04 PM

[quote] Halloween 2018

The acting was FABULOUS. I've never seen anything like this. Without saying a single word about it, the actors were magically able to convey through each and every motion and facial expression that they "WERE JUST THERE FOR A PAYCHECK"

Not even tattooing it on their foreheads, putting up billboards or hiring a plane with a banner on the back that read "I'm ONLY DOING THIS FOR A PAYCHECK", would have gotten the point across as well as the actors themselves were able to do in the film

by Anonymousreply 592June 5, 2019 2:07 PM

The Others, Paranormal Activity films, and Saw films.

by Anonymousreply 593June 5, 2019 3:09 PM

[Quote] Paranormal Activity films, and Saw films.

The first 2 are fine.

by Anonymousreply 594June 5, 2019 3:17 PM

Can anyone recommend any good horror films or thrillers with an original idea? It seems like they are recycling the same horror tropes: demonic possession, haunted house, creepy cabin in the woods, vampires, shark attacks, serial killer on the loose, etc. At least Ma, Us, A Quiet Place and Happy Death Day put a unique twist on it.

by Anonymousreply 595June 5, 2019 4:19 PM

[Quote] At least Ma, Us, A Quiet Place and Happy Death Day put a unique twist on it.

I'd add Unfriended too.

by Anonymousreply 596June 5, 2019 4:27 PM

Take the poster above raving about Pet Sematary (2019) with a grain of salt. I wasted my hard earned money seeing it in the theaters after reading rave early reviews on here and I’ve never felt so cheated. It was a complete piece of shit. Jason Clarke was horribly miscast and charmless, and he’s in nearly every shot. The changes were unnecessary. At least the original had some campy charm, a hot lead, and Zelda. This had nothing. Even Pet Sematary II blew it out of the park.

If your curious about it, wait for it to show up on Netflix or AMC.

by Anonymousreply 597June 5, 2019 5:01 PM

R592, I can't stop laughing. I agree with every word. I can't believe the great reviews that movie got. Even H20 gave Jamie Lee more to do and she seemed more into it.

by Anonymousreply 598June 5, 2019 5:56 PM

H20 is a much better film with a more satisfying ending. Laurie’s arc felt more authentic to the original character instead of her turning into Linda Hamilton. H40 was overhyped trash. There were nothing innovative or interesting enough about the new storyline that justified erasing all the other films from the continuity.

by Anonymousreply 599June 5, 2019 6:07 PM

R597 You do realize that reviews are subjective opinions, right? Kinda like physical attractiveness. Not everyone thinks the same. I mean, people rave about immature superhero movies and I couldn't disagree more.

by Anonymousreply 600June 5, 2019 7:19 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!