Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Man shoots his pit bull to save children

Owners finally waking up about this killer breed. Guy should be fined for letting it off the its leash.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93December 27, 2018 7:02 PM

They constantly show pitbull dogs near children on YouTube, I find it very disturbing. I give them a thumbs down. 👎🏻

by Anonymousreply 1December 26, 2018 4:16 PM

I would have picked the dog

by Anonymousreply 2December 26, 2018 4:27 PM

Finally! Someone thought of the children!

by Anonymousreply 3December 26, 2018 4:36 PM

Yeah, OP, back on this drum beat again.

What happened in your world that causes these threads?

by Anonymousreply 4December 26, 2018 5:07 PM

A pitbull AND a gun - damn lucky that the kids did not get caught in the line of fire. If you need a handgun to control your dog, it’s time to reconsider the pup you adopted. Also, please stay away from parks, playgrounds, and elementary schools.

by Anonymousreply 5December 26, 2018 5:46 PM

A pitbull AND a gun - damn lucky that the kids did not get caught in the line of fire. If you need a handgun to control your dog, it’s time to reconsider the pup you adopted. Also, please stay away from parks, playgrounds, and elementary schools.

by Anonymousreply 6December 26, 2018 5:47 PM

^^ Sorry for the double-post glitch.

by Anonymousreply 7December 26, 2018 5:48 PM

Why would anyone want these stupid shit ass dogs? They are a proven disaster over and over....

by Anonymousreply 8December 26, 2018 6:20 PM

I have a pitt. It barely barks and is almost too friendly with people. It's not the breed, it's the owner. They're bred to be violent.

by Anonymousreply 9December 26, 2018 6:22 PM

*trained not bred.

by Anonymousreply 10December 26, 2018 6:23 PM

Won't someone think of the pit-bull children??? That murdered pit-bull used to be some bitch's puppy!

by Anonymousreply 11December 26, 2018 7:31 PM

All breeds have biters, but while a golden retriever can give you a deep wound that might need stitches, a pit bull can scalp you and tear the teeth right out of your jaw.

It’s likely that others will doubt your honesty / rationality about your pit bull’s temperament not because the breed is unjustly “misunderstood” but because they correctly recognize your dog is the result of centuries of selective breeding meant to produce an animal who can literally grab and hold a bull’s head with its monster jaws.

by Anonymousreply 12December 26, 2018 7:35 PM

Amen R12, no one has to train a greyhound to race around as fast as he can go. They've been bred for centuries to do just that. No one has to train a rat terrier to hunt rodents, same reason. No one has to train a pomeranian to park on someone's lap for hours at a time. Different dogs have been bred for centuries, if not longer, for different jobs. The bully breeds have been bred to fight bears, bulls, other dogs, and humans for ages.

I just wish sites like Reddit and The Dodo would quit posting cute pitbull puppy pictures. It's cruel to breed them. The shelters are chock-full of them.

by Anonymousreply 13December 26, 2018 8:14 PM

I'd once work for an employer where we were allowed to bring our dogs to work. (The employer figured, in doing so, one less reason for our needing to go home at a decent time.)

One day I stepped into the elevator, only to be met by a massive pit bull and its owner. The animal was the size of an effing lion. Though the next stop was not my floor, I quickly exited the elevator.

by Anonymousreply 14December 26, 2018 8:55 PM

Yes. it's the breeding. It's the genetics. No amount of superb training will turn a herding dog into a pointer, a terrier into a retriever etc. The creeps who use pit bulls for fighting don't take them and turn them into killers. They fight them because they are natural killers. If you want a dog that will fight to the bitter end you choose a dog that has that instinct built into them. You can't love that quality out of the dog.

The Alaunt which became known as the "Butcher dog" in Britain, traces back in Europe over a thousand years ago, and became the Olde English Bull Dog which, though extinct, became the progenitor of all the bully type dogs. All of these dogs were used for bringing down bulls. Bite them on the nose, hang on, wear them down and bring them to the ground.

And that quality still exists in all these pit bull type dogs. You can name these roses any thing you like but the DNA doesn't lie.

When I moved to my home ten years ago there were three dogs on my five house block. A poodle, a rotie mix and a lab. Now there are four dogs on this block and three of them are pitbulls. Fucking ridiculous. These beasts are polluting the mutt population. Ten more years and it will be hard to find a hybrid/mutt that doesn't have some pitbull DNA in it. The only way to get a safe dog will be to go to the breeders.

by Anonymousreply 15December 26, 2018 8:55 PM

He meant to shoot the kids but missed.

by Anonymousreply 16December 26, 2018 8:58 PM

What’s funny is how many times the term “pit bull” or “Staffordshire terrier” is replaced with the phrase “family dog” in headlines about bully breed attacks. I guess the activists have made themselves heard, and the press walks on eggshells to avoid the evils of breed-profiling.

Also, that so many of these maulers were indeed “family dogs” that were not trained to fight illuminates just how primal instinct can instantly and unexpectedly overpower learned behaviors.

by Anonymousreply 17December 26, 2018 9:05 PM

I hate people like R4 who care more about beasts than humans.

by Anonymousreply 18December 26, 2018 9:19 PM

[quote] Owners finally waking up about this killer breed.

Oh, do fuck off, OP.

by Anonymousreply 19December 26, 2018 9:20 PM

[quote] What happened in your world that causes these threads?

He's a loon from hell.

by Anonymousreply 20December 26, 2018 9:21 PM

Keep your fucking dangerous pit bull on a leash at all times it is outside of your fenced-in property.

by Anonymousreply 21December 26, 2018 9:28 PM

While I am not a big fan of so-called pitbulls or most of the terrier breeds that name includes, people need to focus on facts, not sensational headlines. Several years ago, the hysteria was around rottweilers and attacks committed by them. Before that it was dobermans.

I believe they are an "unstable" breed in that years and many generations of breeding for certain characteristics have altered the available breeding stock such that it's not clear what anyone is getting. It would take years and generations of controlled breeding to return the available stock to a more stable (i.e., more consistent temperament with fewer outliers). As a practical matter, they do not possess the strongest bite force among breeds.

Bite force by breed:

[quote]10. Dutch Shepherd Bite Force – 224 PSI; 9. American Pit Bull Bite Force – 235 PSI; 8. German Shepherd Bite Force – 238 PSI; 7. Doberman Bite Force – 245 PSI; 6. American Bulldog Bite Force – 305 PSI; 5. African Wild Dog Bite Force – 317 PSI; 4. Rottweiler Bite Force – 328 PSI; 3. Wolfdog Bite Force – 406 PSI; 2. English Mastiff Bite Force – 556 PSI; 1. Kangal - Dog with the Strongest Bite Bite Force – 743 PSI

They are, along with Rottweilers, are responsible for the vast majority of dog attack deaths in the US.

[quote] In the 13-year period of January 1, 2005 to December 31, 2017, canines killed at least 433 Americans. Pit bulls contributed to 66% of these deaths. Rottweilers, the second leading canine killer, inflicted 10% of attacks that resulted in human death. Combined, two dog breeds accounted for 76% of the total recorded deaths.

German Shepards: 4.6%; Mixed: 3.9%; American Bulldog 3.5%; Mastiff 3.2%; Husky 3.0%

by Anonymousreply 22December 26, 2018 9:30 PM

At my local shelter it's impossible to find a non pitbull breed. The funniest ones are the clear and obvious pitbulls labeled "lab mix ". Sure Jan. I looked around for about 20 minutes and left without a pet. I would rather spend money on a reputable breeder than adopt a unpredictable "rescue animal " with the temperament of a wild animal.

by Anonymousreply 23December 26, 2018 9:33 PM

^^ "Sure, Jan" !!

by Anonymousreply 24December 26, 2018 9:46 PM

Troll defenders of this breed need to be put in a closed, high fence yard with unleashed Pitt bulls. Daily. Until the human is bitten and hopefully permanently mangled enough to change their goddamned infantile rebel mind about this blight on humanity.

by Anonymousreply 25December 26, 2018 9:49 PM

FF loon R25

by Anonymousreply 26December 26, 2018 9:51 PM

R23 THIS. I went to 3 different county shelters over the course of a few weeks before I adopted my dogs. The majority were Staffordshire or pit bull terrriers along with retriever “mixes” who had suspiciously large foreheads.

Sadly, bullies tend to be one of the more playful, loyal, and affectionate family of dogs. I think they are adorable, but I’d only adopt one if I lived in a spacious rural area. I also would not allow anyone to interact with the pup - especially kids - unsupervised.

by Anonymousreply 27December 26, 2018 9:53 PM

Most shelters are at least 50-60 percent bully breeds, if not more.

I don't doubt there are badly trained/socialized animals in those breeds, and perhaps these rescues need to be more firm about a zero tolerance attitude with aggression and introduce euthanasia in those instances.

But it's also ridiculous to go completely to the other extreme, as many of the anti pit loons seem to do here every day.

by Anonymousreply 28December 26, 2018 10:03 PM

its not ridiculous. its not the dogs fault but we are in a situation in which EXTREMELY DUMB, CARELESS AND ANTISOCIAL asshole humans have access to these animals and they are dangerous. They belong, possibly, on a remote farm. Nowhere else. That's just the march of time and society. People ruined it for them and innocent people need to stop paying the price for these killers in our midst. Get ANOTHER DAMNED DOG, assholes.

by Anonymousreply 29December 26, 2018 10:13 PM

Cue the "precious pibbles wouldn't hurt a fly" and "it's how they're raised" brigade. They are violent dogs who are kept by fucking idiots. They should be eradicated.

by Anonymousreply 30December 26, 2018 10:19 PM

[quote] But it's also ridiculous to go completely to the other extreme, as many of the anti pit loons seem to do here every day.

Like I said......

by Anonymousreply 31December 26, 2018 10:21 PM

R28 As someone who volunteers at a shelter in a major city, I can confirm. Everyone says "don't shop, adopt" but it can be hard to find a dog without some pitbull in it. We have a waiting list of people looking for spaniels, labs, lab-mixes, anything but pits. We have several that should be put down. They are aggressive, territorial, and bark ALL THE TIME. It's a no-kill shelter so they will literally die there, unless some drug dealer comes in to adopt them. They are let out into the dog run by themselves because we don't trust them with the other dogs.

by Anonymousreply 32December 26, 2018 10:25 PM

I know there are many well meaning dog lovers who adopt and promote pits. But frankly they are a huge element in the overall problem. Walking your labradoodle, golden retriever, yorkshire terrier, miniature poodle through nice neighborhoods is quickly becoming dangerous as more well meaning pit lovers with savior complexes insist on bringing them out. Yes, these people are stupid. They think they can handle the dogs. But their strength is unparalleled. My neighbor now walks her pit/greyhound mix by attaching it to a leash that is attached to a sturdy leather band strapped around her waist. Her hands were simply not strong enough to hold on and she now uses the weight on her body to keep her dog away from other dogs. She's been threatened by other dog owners too often.

I no longer walk in my neighborhood any more as there are at least two pits that frighten me. I take my car to another neighborhood and then walk there. The owners of these dogs are stupid, they simply don't have the skills to control these beasts. They're not drug addict or criminals they are normal neighbors who love the wrong dogs. And they never stop at one, they have to save two which ups the bad energy and compounds the problem.

As for the pit nutters as they are called. Jeeze they are a special breed of asshole to them selves. when the father of Daxton Brochart, got home from the hospital after his son had been declared dead, his social media accounts were loaded with pitty lovers attacking him as if his sons death was his fault. Only 12 hours had passed since the attack and he had to read about how he was a low life druggie who killed his own kid. In fact he did not own the dogs that killed his kid and the woman who did was a typical suburban mom who had rescued these dogs from the shelter and had been babysitting his kid.. They had no previously known problem, had a huge dog run and just unexpectedly grabbed the kid out of her arms when she let them out to pee. Her 911 tape is chilling as she begs for an ambulance and for someone to come kill the dogs.

by Anonymousreply 33December 26, 2018 10:37 PM

Another thread on DL was discussing rescues and shelters. I googled shelters/rescues in my state county... and 90% dogs are pit bulls, or a pit bull mix. These dogs are very dangerous, and have been over bred to be aggressive, with very strong, lethal jaws. No matter how "sweet" many owners say their dogs are, they have a hair trigger reaction to attack and kill.... even without provocation.

by Anonymousreply 34December 26, 2018 10:43 PM

R33 the pitbull nutters are a vicious and hateful group. They are identical in personality structure to cult members . And they are given WAY too much say in the media .

by Anonymousreply 35December 26, 2018 10:48 PM

What would these prisspots hate more than a pitbull owner?

A pitt bull owner who's also uncut!!!

by Anonymousreply 36December 26, 2018 10:50 PM

R17: “Also, that so many of these maulers were indeed “family dogs” that were not trained to fight illuminates just how primal instinct can instantly and unexpectedly overpower learned behaviors.”

EXACTLY.

by Anonymousreply 37December 26, 2018 10:54 PM

So then why isn't my pitt mix aggressive? why doesn't it bite my cat who likes to ride her around my apartment side saddle like a rodeo clown? why doesn't she yip and bark when people try to pet her? Pit bulls are not born aggressive or violent, They're taught to be by owners that use them in fights. Maybe leave your apartment once in a while and interact with them.

by Anonymousreply 38December 26, 2018 11:03 PM

You ever notice whenever a pitty lover sees one with its owner they will say how beautiful the animal is and go on and on, but will never get close, even if it's a friendly dog?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39December 26, 2018 11:05 PM

I met Donald Trump doing some projects with him in the 80's, r38, and he was a charming fellow. Obviously my own experience defines the entire universe, just as yours with your darling Pitt bull.

by Anonymousreply 40December 26, 2018 11:06 PM

There are a couple of streets in my neighborhood I can no longer walk my dog because of pit owners. Both of them are women whose growling, barking, aggressive pits literally drag them down the street.

Then, last week when I took my dog to the small dog dog park, some asshole continuously walked their pit up and down the perimeter of the fence. He could barely keep control of the dog who was basically struggling to get free so much that he was walking only on his hind feet. Those of us in the park were trapped inside until he left for fear the dog would bolt. We don't know what the dog owner was doing exactly, perhaps some weird attempt to socialize the dog. That dog could have easily bolted over the 6ft fence if it became loose.

I hate pit owners. No responsible person would own such a dog in a populated area. They don't care if these beasts rip apart their children, much less their neighbors.

by Anonymousreply 41December 26, 2018 11:11 PM

R39 lol yes. It's like deep down they know what these animals are. r41 I'm in a similar situation. It angers me beyond words how these scumbag owners and their hideous land sharks are able to ruin otherwise decent parks and walking areas. And the law seems completely unwilling to crack down on irresponsible owners.

by Anonymousreply 42December 26, 2018 11:29 PM

Pit bulls are becoming a “thing” in the suburbs these days... I was walking my 12 year old Corgie mix when my neighbor lost control of his pit who charged at us, barking. My arthritic, 30 pound dog suddenly got spry and lept into my arms in terror, nearly knocking me over.

Luckily, the pit did not get a hold of my Corgi, but I will never forget the shocking level of aggression it displayed. The owner was very apologetic and seemed like a nice, well-intentioned guy. He was as much caught by surprise as I was by his dog’s behavior.

by Anonymousreply 43December 26, 2018 11:30 PM

There are laws requiring humans wear seatbelts while driving and helmets while biking (motor and pedal), as well as leash laws for dog walking in most areas, so why shouldn't proper muzzling also be required for public safety?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44December 27, 2018 12:16 AM

While it wouldn't help in any of the recent cases where pets attacked their owners in their own homes, all dogs over a certain weight should be required to be muzzled while in public.

Anything bigger than a Keeshond or border collie, say 30-ish pounds, should have to be muzzled in public at all times and should always be on a leash, except in an enclosed dog run or fenced area.

The penalties need to be much more severe and include criminal charges for manslaughter if your dog kills another person. If your dog attacks and mauls another person in public, it should be put down and the owner charged with attempted murder. I think casual ownership of dangerous breeds would decline.

Of course, dogs that are actually protecting their owners from REAL threats should be treated differently.

by Anonymousreply 45December 27, 2018 12:48 AM

Not for the faint-hearted, although there is no blood.

This how another animal feels about attacking pit bulls.

Horse 1 pitbull 0

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46December 27, 2018 1:03 AM

r46 you're a sick motherfucker. BLOCKED.

by Anonymousreply 47December 27, 2018 1:20 AM

You were warned R47.

That's been on youtube for years. There is no blood.

by Anonymousreply 48December 27, 2018 1:24 AM

I'm surprised at the level of violence of the horse. A wild horse, sure. But that looked like it was a cart horse.

Says something very disturbing about the dog that it kept coming at the horse even after the first few kicks and bites before the horse finally decided to end it. The dog had ample opportunities to run away, but kept going.

by Anonymousreply 49December 27, 2018 1:26 AM

That was a good example of how a bull baiting animal operates. Those attack instincts are still embedded in the pit bull's DNA. If it was 10 dogs (which is how these events were staged) against the horse/bull it would go on until one of the dogs pulled down the larger animal.

Most horses kick out and run but this horse clearly felt trapped in that alley and decided to fight.

by Anonymousreply 50December 27, 2018 1:34 AM

[quote]pit/greyhound

R33 - I can't even imagine what that would look like. So in addition to it being as dangerous as a pit bull, it would be as fast as a greyhound.

by Anonymousreply 51December 27, 2018 1:35 AM

I’d rather carry a loaded gun than keep my dog on a leash....all kinds of stupid.

by Anonymousreply 52December 27, 2018 1:53 AM

Pit bulls should be exterminated from the earth.

by Anonymousreply 53December 27, 2018 4:20 AM

[quote]I have a pitt. It barely barks and is almost too friendly with people. It's not the breed, it's the owner. They're bred to be violent

Yeah, keep telling yourself that. These breeds have jaws that lock, which can tear you apart. They are unpredictable, known to attack their owners.

by Anonymousreply 54December 27, 2018 4:23 AM

That owner sounds like he was as far away from someone who can take care of a dog as possible. Walking around with a gun? Seriously? He could be into dogfighting for all we know, breaking the poor thing's psyche previously and then killing him when he finally went out of control.

People are so phobic it's insane.

by Anonymousreply 55December 27, 2018 4:26 AM

Write your congressman.

I remember a case where 2 dogs ripped a boy to shreds as he walked home from school. The owner was sentenced to 12 years in jail. If you so much as walk a pitt without a leash, it should be taken from you and you should pay a heavy fine, let's say around $5,000.

by Anonymousreply 56December 27, 2018 4:27 AM

R22 yes the problem is always people. Not dogs. Owners are the problem. The dogs are simply the aftereffect of allowing problematic people to own and raise them.

by Anonymousreply 57December 27, 2018 4:29 AM

R57 Really? I hope you never encounter a pack of feral dogs, but it certainly would broaden your understanding of the canine species.

by Anonymousreply 58December 27, 2018 4:36 AM

Isn't it funny how you can see plenty of poorly trained Goldren Retrievers and Labradors who pull on their leashes and bark all day and don't mind their owners, but you don't hardly ever hear about Goldens or Labs attacking and killing small children or other dogs or random people on the street? That's just so weird, isn't it?

by Anonymousreply 59December 27, 2018 4:47 AM

The sweet, delusional song of the pit bull owner: it's not the dog, it's the owner. They sing it until one of their murder mutts opens their throats. I'm never bothered when pit owners are killed by their "pets". Twat owner gone, animal destroyed. Sadly it so often seems to be others who are harmed.

by Anonymousreply 60December 27, 2018 4:48 AM

What's the difference between a pit bull and a social worker?

Eventually the pit bull will give you your baby back.

by Anonymousreply 61December 27, 2018 5:42 AM

A dingo ate the baby? It must have a problematic owner.

by Anonymousreply 62December 27, 2018 6:06 AM

In the UK they've been banned as a breed for some time. Too many incidents and too many fatalities. It was the right thing to do.

We humans created this problem with selective breeding, and now it's beholden upon us to solve it. Every instance it was a trusted family dog whose DNA suddenly surfaced unexpectedly. You can't train out multiple centuries of bred instinct.

by Anonymousreply 63December 27, 2018 6:12 AM

[quote]It's not the breed, it's the owner.

No, it's the breed. They're barbaric and should be extinct.

by Anonymousreply 64December 27, 2018 7:04 AM

There are lots of very friendly Pitts at the dog park I go to. I was playing tug of war with one and it regripped the rope and got my hand. Accidently of course, and no blood, but fuck it was stunning how powerful that jaw was. I keep a close eye on my Pug at the park now.

by Anonymousreply 65December 27, 2018 7:53 AM

Funny how you never hear about kittens pulling this kind if shit.

by Anonymousreply 66December 27, 2018 9:36 AM

This breed is banned in my country, and for good reason.

by Anonymousreply 67December 27, 2018 9:51 AM

R63 Same here in Norway.

by Anonymousreply 68December 27, 2018 9:55 AM

no other breed has killed mauled or bitten humans more than the pits...

by Anonymousreply 69December 27, 2018 10:12 AM

Instant death to those to bait dogs to kill horses bears or any big animal. horrible death for the poor creature.

by Anonymousreply 70December 27, 2018 10:14 AM

[quote][R22] yes the problem is always people. Not dogs. Owners are the problem. The dogs are simply the aftereffect of allowing problematic people to own and raise them.

Exactly how deranged do you have to be to get this fundamentally flawed interpretation of my post?

by Anonymousreply 71December 27, 2018 10:47 AM

^^Amen, R71. THIS is why we need to preserve humanities programs that teach critical thinking (NOT theory) in our high schools and universities, which are rapidly becoming 3rd rate business colleges producing worker drones with limited ability to comprehend statistical data and the context in which it’s presented.

by Anonymousreply 72December 27, 2018 3:06 PM

Erase them from the face of the earth.

only breed that's tried to eat my poodle

by Anonymousreply 73December 27, 2018 3:47 PM

[quote]There are lots of very friendly Pitts at the dog park I go to. I was playing tug of war with one and it regripped the rope and got my hand. Accidently of course, and no blood, but fuck it was stunning how powerful that jaw was. I keep a close eye on my Pug at the park now.

Yeah, it’s stunning till one ends up biting you in the ass.

by Anonymousreply 74December 27, 2018 3:57 PM

I can't think of any other kind of dog that would attack children in front of its owner.

More attention should be given to this vicious breed, and less to others.

by Anonymousreply 75December 27, 2018 4:30 PM

I had to shoot my dachshund to save those kids....

by Anonymousreply 76December 27, 2018 4:46 PM

Have you ever encountered a roving pack of Corgis? Horrifying. They nearly skinned me with their tongues.

by Anonymousreply 77December 27, 2018 4:55 PM

Video R46... Good for the horse. Dog got what it deserved.

by Anonymousreply 78December 27, 2018 4:55 PM

I’m personally afraid of them, so I found this bit of info semi comforting.

MYTH: AMERICAN PIT BULL TERRIERS HAVE 1600 P.S.I. IN JAW PRESSURE

Dr. Lehr Brisbin of the University of Georgia states, “To the best of our knowledge, there are no published scientific studies that would allow any meaningful comparison to be made of the biting power of various breeds of dogs.

There are, moreover, compelling technical reasons why such data describing biting power in terms of “pounds per square inch” can never be collected in a meaningful way. All figures describing biting power in such terms can be traced to either unfounded rumor or, in some cases, to newspaper articles with no foundation in factual data.”

MYTH: AMERICAN PIT BULL TERRIERS LOCK THEIR JAWS.

Dr. Brisbin: “The few studies which have been conducted of the structure of the skulls, mandibles and teeth of pit bulls show that, in proportion to their size, their jaw structure and thus its inferred functional morphology, is no different than that of any breed of dog.

There is absolutely no evidence for the existence of any kind of “locking mechanism” unique to the structure of the jaw and/or teeth of the American Pit Bull Terrier.

by Anonymousreply 79December 27, 2018 5:07 PM

MYTH: ALL PIT BULLS ARE MEAN AND VICIOUS.

It is reported on temperament tests conducted by the American Temperament Test Society that Pit Bulls had a passing rate of 82% or better — compared to only 77% of the general dog population.

These temperament tests consist of putting a dog through a series of unexpected situations, some involving strangers.

Any signs of unprovoked aggression or panic in these situations result in failure of the test. The achievement of Pit Bulls in this study disproves that they are inherently aggressive to people. (Please visit ATTS.org)

MYTH: AGGRESSION TOWARDS OTHER ANIMALS MEANS PEOPLE ARE NEXT.

“Many working breeds have antipathy towards other animals – coonhounds go mad at the sight of a raccoon, foxhounds will not hesitate to tear a dog-like fox to shreds, greyhounds live to chase and maul rabbits and even dog-like coyotes. Even the ever-friendly beagle will slaughter a rabbit, given the chance.

And yet the greyhound, coon and foxhound and beagle are among the friendliest of breeds towards humans. And it is the same with the pit bulldog. His work through the years has been control of other animals – never humans. A correct pit bull is more often than not submissive toward all humans, and adores children.

A pit bull that snarls, lunges or growls at non-threatening humans is NOT typical of the breed.” (Written by Diane Jessup)

Pit bulls that do show aggressive behavior towards humans are not typical of the breed and should be humanely euthanized.

MYTH: IF A PIT BULL WAS NEVER TRAINED TO FIGHT, IT WILL BE SAFE WITH OTHER DOGS.

Pit Bulls can live peacefully with other dogs and animals. However, the Pit Bull has historically been bred to take down large animals. Early and continual socialization can help a Pit Bull be more animal friendly. Genetics, however, play an important role in how the dog will respond to other dogs and animals.

A Pit Bull that will fight another dog if unattended is a normal Pit Bull. Even if a Pit Bull does not start the fight, it has the potential to seriously injure or kill a dog once in the fight.

The Pit Bull has been bred to not back down and withstand pain until the goal is met. This quality does not carry true in all Pit Bulls, but it is safe to assume it is a potential in any Pit Bull in order to avoid unnecessary problems.

Pit Bulls have a late maturity, and a Pit Bull that was dog friendly at 7 months old may suddenly show signs of intolerance of unfamiliar dogs around two years old. Spaying and neutering the dog may help to prevent “turning on” the genetic urge to fight another dog.

All dog fights are preventable, however. Socialize a Pit Bull slowly with new dogs, and never let them play unattended. Remove items such as toys and food bowls to avoid stress.

Pit Bulls can live happily with other pets; if not left unattended. Even the “best of friends” can fight, and the outcome may be tragic. This can be true for dogs that have been together for years. Often, after the first serious fight, relations between the dogs are never the same.

Keeping that first fight from happening is a great way to ensure peaceful relations for the long run. If there is a multiple-dog household, it is important to separate the dogs when there is no one home.

Many people use crates for short times, put dogs into separate rooms, use kennels, or have outdoor areas set up for separation that are safe and secure. Pit Bulls can get along wonderfully with animals like cats, rabbits, and ferrets, but for safety’s sake, never leave them alone together.

by Anonymousreply 80December 27, 2018 5:07 PM

True, R79. They do NOT “lock” their jaws. They just grab with their teeth and hold on tight without letting go.

by Anonymousreply 81December 27, 2018 5:15 PM

[quote]Dr. Lehr Brisbin of the University of Georgia states, “To the best of our knowledge, there are no published scientific studies that would allow any meaningful comparison to be made of the biting power of various breeds of dogs.

[quote] Dr. Brady Barr of National Geographic, for a TV special called Dangerous Encounters: Bite Force, measured bite forces of several different creatures using a more direct measure. Basically he placed a force measuring device on a bite protection sleeve (or on a pole for larger more dangerous beasts) and provoked the animals to bite it. Because of the way that these measures are taken, they actually reflect the bite force closer to the front of the jaw, so they might not measure the maximum force possible. The strength of the bite will also depend upon just how provoked and angry the dog was during the measurement. In any event, for the three dogs measured (an American Pit Bull, a German Shepherd and a Rottweiler) the average bite strength was 269 pounds of pressure, with the Rottweiler topping the group with 328 pounds of bite pressure.

From my post at r22 - which was from an article that sourced biting power in psi based on body size, head size, and shape of jaw.

[quote]. German Shepherd Bite Force – 238 PSI; 6. American Bulldog Bite Force – 305 PSI; 4. Rottweiler Bite Force – 328 PSI

While the articles that quote 1600 or 2000 psi are obviously too high, the results appear to be similar between actual bite testing and the estimates based on body mechanics.

by Anonymousreply 82December 27, 2018 5:17 PM

Hey R79 Go fuck yourself and your pedantic obfuscation.

We know they don't lock (as in require a special device to unlock a mechanism). It's a fucking expression as in "lock eyes with him." Grip, latch, bite, grab. Who the fuck cares about the pedantic terminology when what's important is the the fucking dog WON'T LET GO.

By the way just to add my own pedantic info into the mix, if we are going to go that way. The quality is actually called "gameness". How game is the dog? Will it latch on and stay latched when people are hitting it with a stick, tasering it's testicles, stabbing it in the eye. It's part of the breeding, it's in it's DNA.

Go ahead. Google. "pit bull gameness." It's a real fucking quality that the breeders look for.

by Anonymousreply 83December 27, 2018 5:45 PM

Why is this on datalounge?

Have we turned into another site?

Where can I find a gay website with gay topics now that this site has been taken over by agendas and propaganda?

by Anonymousreply 84December 27, 2018 5:48 PM

R4 is a willfully ignorant moron.

by Anonymousreply 85December 27, 2018 5:49 PM

MYTH: A Pitbull is more dangerous than a Killer Rabbit.

TRUTH: A Killer Rabbit has teeth like THIS!!!!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86December 27, 2018 6:02 PM

R 9 R 10 You had it right the FIRST time.

by Anonymousreply 87December 27, 2018 6:30 PM

[quote] They are aggressive, territorial, and bark ALL THE TIME. It's a no-kill shelter so they will literally die there, unless some drug dealer comes in to adopt them. They are let out into the dog run by themselves because we don't trust them with the other dogs.

Sheesh, just kill the stupid rats. Crush their skulls with a sledgehammer.

by Anonymousreply 88December 27, 2018 6:36 PM

[quote]all dogs should be required to be muzzled while in public.

There, that's better.

Small dog bites may not be as lethal, but I have no desire to experience any more of them. Chihuahuas are notorious nippers if not socialized correctly, and even small bites can become infected.

by Anonymousreply 89December 27, 2018 6:50 PM

FIXED FROM UPTHREAD: I no longer walk in my neighborhood any more as there are at least two black people that frighten me. I take my car to another neighborhood and then walk there. The black people are stupid, they simply don't have the skills to control themselves. They're not drug addict or criminals they are normal neighbors who have the wrong skin color . And they never stop at one, they have to have two which ups the bad energy and compounds the problem.

by Anonymousreply 90December 27, 2018 6:54 PM

[quote]I take my car to another neighborhood and then walk there.

Doesn't this put you in further danger?

by Anonymousreply 91December 27, 2018 7:00 PM

Comparing a dog breed with humans, who have larger frontal lobes, is deliberately misleading, troll at r90.

by Anonymousreply 92December 27, 2018 7:00 PM

Wow R90 - Are you actually comparing black people to dogs? The struggle of African Americans to the “plight” of the pit bull terrier? What a stupendously racist false analogy. Bravo.

by Anonymousreply 93December 27, 2018 7:02 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!