Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Dog lovers of DL, what's your favorite breed?

...and I'm not talking about the breeding you nasty slut tricks do on your off time, so save me the jokes. I never liked pugs, or any dogs really, then my mom got one that I eventually got roped into keeping (so he'd stay in the family) and now I can't see myself with any other breed of dog. He's a lovable asshole who does what he wants and provides endless hours of entertainment. He's also very vocal and expressive and doesn't suffer fools. I truly love him to pieces. What's your go-to dog breed?

by Anonymousreply 270September 17, 2020 11:01 PM

Cats

by Anonymousreply 1December 21, 2018 12:55 AM

Chocolate lab. Loyal, sweet, even-tempered.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2December 21, 2018 12:56 AM

Someone once told me most gays prefer cats to dogs because dogs are messy and cats are clean

by Anonymousreply 3December 21, 2018 12:57 AM

Chow Chow

Saint Bernard

Corgi

Labrador

by Anonymousreply 4December 21, 2018 12:57 AM

Dog breed that fascinates me the most, but which I will never own: Tibetan mastiff

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5December 21, 2018 12:58 AM

Ones that don't piss everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 6December 21, 2018 1:04 AM

Pugs. I just think that they are the most comically adorable dogs out there. My ex had one - I liked the pug more.

by Anonymousreply 7December 21, 2018 1:06 AM

Dandie Dinmont Terriers. The cutest dogs EVAH!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8December 21, 2018 1:07 AM

My favourite? Good old-fashioned mutts. Rescued from shelters.

by Anonymousreply 9December 21, 2018 1:08 AM

Malamute

Boston terrier

Border Collie

by Anonymousreply 10December 21, 2018 1:11 AM

bassets!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11December 21, 2018 1:12 AM

Siberian Husky. This one looks just like my Zia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12December 21, 2018 1:13 AM

Love pugs. Have them since the early 80’s. The main problem is that they usually have many health problems when they get older. The breed standards (flat nose, bugling eyes, .) could be considered cruel today.

by Anonymousreply 13December 21, 2018 1:15 AM

Yellow Labs. Chocolate labs are too crazy.

Great Danes are wonderful, but they have such short life spans.

by Anonymousreply 14December 21, 2018 1:15 AM

Irish Setter

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15December 21, 2018 1:17 AM

Weimaraner-Lab mix. We had one as a kid, and that dog took a rattlesnake bite for us.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16December 21, 2018 1:17 AM

My friends have the loveliest little Border Terrier. She's so gentle and affectionate.

Also, I hear that Cavalier King Charles Spaniels are particularly sweet-natured dogs, in addition to looking very regal.

by Anonymousreply 17December 21, 2018 1:21 AM

R4, chow-chows have a rather notoriously ornery disposition, no?

by Anonymousreply 18December 21, 2018 1:22 AM

I've heard chow-chows are kind of psychotic and can turn on their owners.

by Anonymousreply 19December 21, 2018 1:25 AM

R19, I'm not sure if it goes that far. My aunt had a chow chow who only took to her and didn't much appreciate anybody else getting too close. Come to think of it, maybe their disposition is closer to that of a cat. They're darn cute though, like mini-bears.

by Anonymousreply 20December 21, 2018 1:31 AM

Chow-chows are one-person dogs. Why anyone would get them, Dobermans or pit bulls is beyond me.

by Anonymousreply 21December 21, 2018 1:35 AM

Japanese Chins. Fabulous dogs, and very low maintenance.

by Anonymousreply 22December 21, 2018 1:37 AM

Dachshunds. I have two. I smile when ever I see one

by Anonymousreply 23December 21, 2018 1:49 AM

R23 i have a dachshund as well. Love her to death, she's so loyal... but they're so neurotic sometimes lol Definitely a breed (I personally) found to be an acquired taste, but fell in love once I did.

My favorite breed, just from experience with them, is the King Charles spaniels. You're lucky if they bark, they are patient (though hunting dogs, they have to wait for the hunter, before kicking up fowl. That's serious self control.) They love people, loyal, and just good damn dogs. And that's what I've noticed with every one I've met, from a shelter, or breeder, didn't matter... Mind blowing really.

by Anonymousreply 24December 21, 2018 1:56 AM

Shitzu

by Anonymousreply 25December 21, 2018 1:56 AM

Cocker Spaniels. They are gentle family dogs, loyal, friendly, and live long (14-18 years). But the have very deep ear canals that get infected if not properly cleaned, and recessed vulvae, which, if you have a bitch, can cause problems. They do not shed, so you have to have them groomed frequently. Cocker spaniels are bird dogs historically and they do not have territoriality problems some breeds have. They want to be near their loved ones all the time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26December 21, 2018 2:07 AM

Boxers - My friend has one that does a bed check on her children every night. Big enough to offer some security, but goofy as hell. Very playful dogs, great with families.

by Anonymousreply 27December 21, 2018 2:09 AM

People who have pugs - how often do you/did you bathe them?

My partner had two pugs when we got together. They're pretty good natured - very friendly and people oriented. Total daddy's boys. But they smell. They also cost a fortune in vet bills.

by Anonymousreply 28December 21, 2018 2:14 AM

All dogs are awesome. I do have a particular affinity for toys though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29December 21, 2018 2:15 AM

Newfoundlands.

By far the best.

A real man’s dog.

Men love ‘em.

by Anonymousreply 30December 21, 2018 2:23 AM

Miniature Pinscher

Currently what I have. She is very lively, thinks she's as big as the biggest dog she's met. Spends a lot of time in my lap. True to the breed, she must sleep under the blankets. A very loving dog--so sweet. I walk her every day and she has such a demeanor that people must pat her. I've gotten to know most of the neighbors because of this charmer.

by Anonymousreply 31December 21, 2018 2:25 AM

I had one of the original gorgeous Labradoodles, smart as hell, very loyal and funny adorable pooch. Loved her so very very much. A former roommate had a dog that looked like this, black and white Chihuahua, funny as hell, very comical little guy. Would do crazy things to amuse himself a total riot. I found myself becoming enamored - but I prefer a doodle I think.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32December 21, 2018 2:27 AM

Golden Retrievers, duh!

by Anonymousreply 33December 21, 2018 2:28 AM

Standard Poodles

by Anonymousreply 34December 21, 2018 2:29 AM

I love French bulldogs. We had one when I was young, way before they became trendy and overbred. No one knew what breed he was. Everyone always guessed Boxer or Pit Bull.

My brother has an Irish Jack Russell terrier and she’s a great little dog. Very smart and affectionate.

by Anonymousreply 35December 21, 2018 2:30 AM

Who can resist the puppy dog eyes of a corgi?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36December 21, 2018 2:33 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37December 21, 2018 2:34 AM

When I was 8 I asked my parents for a puppy. My mom said I could have one as long as it didn't have a butthole. True story.

by Anonymousreply 38December 21, 2018 2:38 AM

Greyhounds are the ideal canine companion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39December 21, 2018 2:39 AM

Dachshunds. I have 2 right now. A smooth coat red miniature female. A male long-haired standard male with red hair with black tips.

Both are stone cold hunters. Loud mouths, but that is okay.

by Anonymousreply 40December 21, 2018 2:39 AM

Greyhounds take two

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41December 21, 2018 2:40 AM

Why won't my images post?

by Anonymousreply 42December 21, 2018 2:40 AM

Rottweilers

by Anonymousreply 43December 21, 2018 2:42 AM

Another fan of Miniature Pinschers. Loyal to the point of extreme jealousy. Smart, easy to walk, easy to feed.

by Anonymousreply 44December 21, 2018 2:42 AM

Australian shepherd...hard-working and loyal. Although high energy and almost too smart for their own good, what with the herding and maintaining the perimeter. But I love them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45December 21, 2018 2:43 AM

I bathe my pug once ir twice a month in addition to monthly groomers visit. He can get pretty stinky and his paws smell like corn chips if he goes too long without a bath. And he is a black hile of vet bills, but I love him so much.

by Anonymousreply 46December 21, 2018 2:46 AM

Shih Tzu

English Bulldog

French Bulldog

by Anonymousreply 47December 21, 2018 2:47 AM

I just lost my pug Ned on October 18th. I truly look like that guy who just lost his best friend.

by Anonymousreply 48December 21, 2018 2:53 AM

Rottweilers and German Shepherds

by Anonymousreply 49December 21, 2018 2:54 AM

Schnauzeeeeersssssss!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50December 21, 2018 3:01 AM

I'm sorry for your loss R48. : (

by Anonymousreply 51December 21, 2018 3:02 AM

I can commiserate with your mom, R38. Cleaning up after them is my number one deal-breaker. Does anyone have a Shiba inu? I think I might like one. They are apparently almost cat-like as far as being clean and independent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52December 21, 2018 3:07 AM

In love French bulldogs. So loving and cute and happy to be left alone all day in the apartment

by Anonymousreply 53December 21, 2018 3:08 AM

English Bulldogs are cute when young but then why scary looking when older.

by Anonymousreply 54December 21, 2018 3:09 AM

We have two Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. Best and most lovable dogs ever!

by Anonymousreply 55December 21, 2018 3:13 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56December 21, 2018 3:16 AM

R54 They can be scary looking, but they have the sweetest disposition.

by Anonymousreply 57December 21, 2018 3:18 AM

Bernese are great, but too much upkeep. Pugs hit the sweet spot.

by Anonymousreply 58December 21, 2018 3:21 AM

English Shepherds and Border Collies

Labs

German Shepherds

I've had dogs from all of those breeds and I love all of them.

by Anonymousreply 59December 21, 2018 3:33 AM

Definitely a cat person. But if I ever contemplated getting a dog, it would be one of these. Smart, loyal, excellent guard dogs, low maintenance. And one of the few breeds that don't take shit from cats.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60December 21, 2018 3:49 AM

I've only had retired racing greyhounds, and that's what my next dog will be.

They are so sweet, charming, and easy to care for. Of course they have to be taught to climb stairs, and can't swim, jump, and rarely can catch a ball, but they are wonderful pals, and very loving dogs. Most are totally non-barking, which is a nice plus.

by Anonymousreply 61December 21, 2018 4:01 AM

Husky

Samoyed

Labradoodle

Pomsky

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62December 21, 2018 5:01 AM

I love our old man labradoodle. But training him was not for the faint of heart.

I also love dogs and cats.

by Anonymousreply 63December 21, 2018 5:23 AM

Greyhounds for sure. They are quiet in the house and run around outside. Their major drawback is that they are usually not trustworthy off leash except in fenced areas because of a high prey drive. They do best in a home with another dog.

I've gotten some as adults and others as puppies and the personalities are different when they are raised in a home.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64December 21, 2018 5:44 AM

Beagles

by Anonymousreply 65December 21, 2018 6:07 AM

Heartening to see all the posts about greyhounds they are wonderful quiet elegant low maintenance companions except the off leash issue. I adore all hounds

by Anonymousreply 66December 21, 2018 6:43 AM

Pug. Ours is built like a brick - 35lbs of muscle. His face isn't as smushed as a typical pug and his eyes not as bulging. I'd swear he's missed with something else, but he looks unmistakeably like a pug. He's like Velcro - always must be laying on me.

by Anonymousreply 67December 21, 2018 7:43 AM

Bull Mastiff. Big, lazy, lovable lug. Surprisingly low maintenance for a large dog. Great with kids and most other animals. Occasionally aggressive to other large dogs so not a great idea to bring them to dog parks.

by Anonymousreply 68December 21, 2018 7:46 AM

Anyone been to greyhound races ?

by Anonymousreply 69December 21, 2018 8:03 AM

Border Collies and Australian Shepherds. Scary smart, loyal, and fun.

by Anonymousreply 70December 21, 2018 8:28 AM

[quote]Does anyone have a Shiba inu? I think I might like one. They are apparently almost cat-like as far as being clean and independent.

I like Shiba Inus, but I understand they are VERY high-maintenance. A neighbor has one and tells me they can climb almost any kind of fence to escape; they seldom bark or make noise, but when they do, they SCREAM; and they're extremely fussy eaters. I'm a total dog person and get along with all breeds, but most of the Shibas I've encountered have a general "fuck you" attitude and couldn't care less about become g friends. Other than that, I really like the breed, but am sticking with my Siberian Huskies.

by Anonymousreply 71December 21, 2018 10:01 PM

I researched Shibas because I was interested in getting one and apparently most don't like cuddling or being petted, however I encountered one at a dog show who was really friendly and loved being petted by strangers, so it is possible to find a cuddly one. Unfortunately, you can't tell from their puppy behavior how they'll turn out as adults. They tend not to tolerate things that displease them and will snap at you if you annoy them.

by Anonymousreply 72December 21, 2018 10:46 PM

R51 Thanks, very much!

by Anonymousreply 73December 22, 2018 7:57 PM

I've always had mastiffs or German shepherds, both as a child and as an adult. Currently have two bullmastiffs, which are probably my favourite breed, for all the reasons R68 gives. On a cold night, being the middle spoon in a bullmastiff sandwich warms even my heart, shrivelled and blackened as it is.

I'm currently sitting on the sofa with my feet on the coffee table. To my right, there is one bullmastiff, fast asleep on her back. To my left, the other one is also fast asleep, and the laptop is partially balanced on her head.

I'm quite happy.

by Anonymousreply 74December 22, 2018 8:14 PM

german short hair pointers......but any sporting breed really...labs, brittany spaniels etc

by Anonymousreply 75December 22, 2018 8:24 PM

Italian greyhound.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76December 22, 2018 8:29 PM

Gotta go with Boxer, but I had the cutest little male Westie for 17 years!, No more little "whippersnappers"!

by Anonymousreply 77December 22, 2018 8:34 PM

Labs

Their eye contact when smiling at you . . . no other breed possesses this ability to connect in such a sincere, loving manner.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78December 22, 2018 8:37 PM

I love Jack Russells! I’ve always had females and currently have 2. They get a bad reputation for being snappy but mine are the most loving, gentle, clever little dogs you could meet. I go for the longer legged ones as the short stumpy ones are too unappealing. I refuse to buy from puppy farms and the likes because they are so open to inbreeding and cruelty towards the animals. They’re also really handy for where I live as we get a lot of vermin and can kill rats, mice etc.

by Anonymousreply 79December 22, 2018 9:39 PM

Another golden retriever lover here. Hi, R33.

by Anonymousreply 80December 22, 2018 9:59 PM

R74 Can I come by?

by Anonymousreply 81December 22, 2018 10:46 PM

Boxers. Hands down.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82December 22, 2018 10:53 PM

Golden retrievers, poodles, and Basset Hounds.

by Anonymousreply 83December 22, 2018 11:06 PM

If you have children. The Newfoundland is the dog for you. But of course the English Springer Spaniel has had much love over the last 30 years. Thankfully we have both.... Clara 9 year old Springer (Liver and White) and Sophia 5 year old Newfoundland (Black).

by Anonymousreply 84December 22, 2018 11:08 PM

I like mixed mutts, and the best dog I ever had looked like Benji. A bit of this, more of that, and a whole lot of love and intelligence.

by Anonymousreply 85December 22, 2018 11:11 PM

I had a mutt that was part dachshund and basset. Had a lot of health problems but was dearly loved.

by Anonymousreply 86December 22, 2018 11:23 PM

I prefer to be petless, but if I was going to get a dog, I like a Lakeland terrier's looks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87December 22, 2018 11:27 PM

R68, you're most welcome to drop by. Bring carrots. Their favouritest thing evah is to chew a carrot into tiny pieces and spread it all over the floor.

by Anonymousreply 88December 23, 2018 6:41 PM

I like beagles. They have really, really soft ears & they're friendly.

by Anonymousreply 89December 23, 2018 9:37 PM

The welsh terrier. Adorable, but also mischievous and stubborn.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90December 23, 2018 10:41 PM

We have a beagle and they are a great breed. As long as you don’t mind some occasional howling.

by Anonymousreply 91December 23, 2018 11:13 PM

I was a dog groomer and came to love everything from the tiniest Yorkie to the biggest Great Dane. I have 2 French Bulldogs currently because they are great condo/apartment dogs, but would consider any breed or mix that would suit my situation when it's time to get a new companion. I had a pug for 13 years and he was unbelievably smart. My Frenchies are sweet and funny, but are about a Jessica Simpson on the scale from Britney to Einstein.

by Anonymousreply 92December 25, 2018 2:12 AM

Siberian Husky and Collies

by Anonymousreply 93December 25, 2018 2:54 AM

r92, Do you think your Frenchies are really stupid or are they just stubborn and refuse to do things that don't interest them? I'm interested in getting a Frenchie but I really don't want a dumb dog.

by Anonymousreply 94December 25, 2018 3:03 AM

R94. Get a corgi instead. They are about the same size and they are herding dogs so they are the same scary smart as border collies or aussies.

They are extremely loveable, but very energetic and need their walkies regularly.

by Anonymousreply 95December 25, 2018 3:08 AM

Great to get the perspective of a professional, R92. What was your take on the Shiba inus? I've always liked the looks of French bulldogs as well, but wouldn't be thrilled with a Jessica-level intellect.

by Anonymousreply 96December 25, 2018 3:19 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, r95! Never knew that Corgi's were as smart as aussies, will have to check them out.

by Anonymousreply 97December 25, 2018 3:33 AM

Oops, I meant *corgis*, not *corgi's* (in case someone's about to accuse me of having a Jessica-level intellect myself).

by Anonymousreply 98December 25, 2018 3:42 AM

R92 here. Frenchies are notoriously stubborn, which can be both charming and exasperating. My female is personality -plus, but not terribly resourceful or particularly trainable (but is charmingly bitchy). My boy is SUPER sweet and has perfect conformation, but is just kind of dumb. I like their "chill" demeanor and lack of barking, as well as not needing a ton of exercise. But they are not a good choice for those that are more controlling and want something super-obedient. Truly terrible watchdogs--hilariously so. If they were people, they'd be affable stoners.

The other thing that can't be stressed enough is that they have very specific health issues, especially when it comes to temperature tolerance--can't take too much heat or cold. Also need to make sure that the parents are screened for congenital disorders. Definitely not a breed to get from an amature breeder. Their surge in popularity has opened a Pandora's box of health issues. Definitely a "do your homework before you buy" dog.

by Anonymousreply 99December 25, 2018 3:46 AM

Boston Terrier, Rat Terrier

by Anonymousreply 100December 25, 2018 3:53 AM

I saw this video of a Frenchie being trained to do amazing things at only 12 weeks of age, so I guess individuals run the gamut of intelligence.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101December 25, 2018 3:53 AM

You're a typing French bulldog, aren't you R97/R98?

by Anonymousreply 102December 25, 2018 4:06 AM

The most beautiful, but absolutely 100% stupidest dogs I have ever been around, were Irish setters.

by Anonymousreply 103December 25, 2018 4:07 AM

I love Jack Russells and the Finnish Spitz. I do a lot of hiking, and they are both great dogs - active, outdoorsy. Perfect.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104December 25, 2018 4:09 AM

Shelties have fallen out of favor, but they are amazing companions. I've had two rescues. One was the most beautiful dog who was from a top breeder that bred for their coats, and he was left tied to a post in his old back yard. The most gorgeous dog, but dumb as a box of rocks. Shelties are notoriously smart. Not this one. The other was a breeder from a puppy mill and so fragile. She was a wonderful dog though. Just wanted to be by my side.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105December 25, 2018 4:31 AM

My brother has a Wheaten Terrier - VERY good-natured, loving and lovable dog. Unfortunately, the breed is super prone to digestive diseases and renal diseases. Doesn't shed - HUGE plus for me. Another brother always gets border collies - extremely intelligent dogs, but demanding and their desire/penchant for herding can be annoying. They tend to be a one-person dog unless they have been trained to be social with other humans. They need a lot of training and a lot of attention. I like dogs, but have no desire to get one. However, I'd opt for a pretty mutt rescue, if I were in the mood to get a dog. . Mutts tend to be healthier, fewer congenital diseases or breed-specific diseases, usually better natured. Probably a mix of three breeds would be ideal, as a mix of two might end up with all the specific defects associated with one of its parents. Some great pics/inspirations below.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106December 25, 2018 4:43 AM

If you think you might want a greyhound, this year is the right time to do it. They are permanently closing all of the Florida greyhound tracks in 2019 and thousands of hounds will need to find homes... Or else.

by Anonymousreply 107December 25, 2018 5:04 AM

Between my mom, sister and I, we have 2 poodles, a doxle, a golden retriever, and a husky. I must say, the doxle has the best personality of all of them. Shes very smart and kind of has an attitude to her, but oh my god does she shed. Dog hair everywhere. The golden is very smart and loves to fetch more than anything in the world. The poodles are complete opposites, one is skittish and the other loves people. Neither are really smart. My husky is very laid back and just wants to lay around. Lazy girl.

So I'd say my favorite dog for personality is the Doxle.

by Anonymousreply 108December 25, 2018 5:10 AM

Matt Damon

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109December 25, 2018 5:25 AM

[Quote] My husky is very laid back and just wants to lay around. Lazy girl.

Sounds like my kind of dog.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110December 25, 2018 6:41 AM

Hounds. Particularly the kind used for hunting... Treeing Walker Coonhounds and Foxhounds and the like. They are exceptionally gentle, and even before they are trained, they are especially well behaved. It's like they have a sixth sense about those sort of things. They are really great with children, even babies, even when they are untrained. My boyfriend and I rescued a hunting dog when she collapsed on our property from starvation. She was our first dog, and we had no intentions of getting a dog, but she was so sweet, we just fell in love with her.

by Anonymousreply 111December 25, 2018 6:50 AM

R111 good on you!

by Anonymousreply 112December 25, 2018 6:52 AM

Cavalier King Charles Spaniel

by Anonymousreply 113December 25, 2018 7:26 AM

My heart belongs to my Boston. But I've been thinking about adopting a Maltese. Also, I'm surprised no one mentioned Yorkie.

by Anonymousreply 114December 25, 2018 4:00 PM

This thread makes me want to adopt 50 dogs.

by Anonymousreply 115December 25, 2018 4:01 PM

Maine Coons

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116December 25, 2018 4:21 PM

Healthiest dog I ever had was a basset hound. Just be sure to do routine ear hygiene.

by Anonymousreply 117December 25, 2018 4:34 PM

My favorite dog breed is definitely a pit bull. So snuggly and affectionate!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118December 26, 2018 12:12 AM

I love labs for their handsome, smooth coats and gentle dispositions.

Boxers and dachshunds for their senses of humor and stubborn natures.

Pit bulls for their loyalty and affectionate natures (yes, we know the issues, I'm talking about well trained and socialized ones)

But to me the most beautiful dog is a viszla, a dog that is apparently part of the pointer family. I think they're regal and lovely, and they love their owners. The downside is that they need exercise for at least 2 hours a day. And not a walk....these dogs need to RUN.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119December 26, 2018 12:18 AM

Min Pins

by Anonymousreply 120December 26, 2018 12:29 AM

Standard poodles

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121December 26, 2018 12:31 AM

Beagle. Then Labrador, Corgi. No fluffy hair.

by Anonymousreply 122December 26, 2018 12:45 AM

R114, my experience with 3 different friends who have Yorkies is that they are stubborn as hell and practically impossible to housebreak. I wouldn't want one for anything. Cute, but...

by Anonymousreply 123December 26, 2018 3:07 AM

I want a Pharaoh dog someday. My sister has a Kerry Blue Terrier. Super smart but obsessive compulsive and dangerous. They will kill small animals including other dogs and cats.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124December 26, 2018 3:12 AM

My little 16 year old Chihuahua is the light of my life. Loyal, funny, affectionate, doesn't shed or stink. Loves to cuddle. We're so in love.

by Anonymousreply 125December 26, 2018 3:13 AM

Newfoundland’s are amazing, goofy, lovable, though not for elderly/disabled/anyone unsteady on their feet, as they like to lean into people. Aside from their coats which should Be brushed frequently to avoid dreadlocks that can easily form, they are fairly low-maintenance. My girl can get very playful but generally prefers to lie around. Short spurts of energy that can be easily mitigated with two short walks per day. Oh, and you gotta be cool with the drool.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126December 26, 2018 3:36 AM

We've had three Pembroke Welsh Corgis ( the ones with dockdd tails) over the years. The males were affectionate and engaged with us but the female was very aloof.

by Anonymousreply 127December 26, 2018 4:19 AM

[quote]Oh, and you gotta be cool with the drool

Gross. Drool is a showstopper.

by Anonymousreply 128December 26, 2018 7:46 AM

R92 bang on with the frenchies intellect your rating scale is hilarious

by Anonymousreply 129December 26, 2018 7:54 AM

My 15 year old miniature dachshund is the light of my life and he is as active as a puppy.

Dachshunds rule.

by Anonymousreply 130December 26, 2018 8:24 AM

I am allergic to the lot of 'em, but if I could - I'd have a couple of chocolate labs.

I'd either be dead or finally skinny in a year, but what a fucking year it would be.

by Anonymousreply 131December 26, 2018 9:38 AM

Mutts, mutts and more mutts, please.

by Anonymousreply 132December 26, 2018 12:30 PM

Vizsla. Known as the Velcro dog as they always want to be with you. If I let mine out, he will not leave the patio. They lean hard against you and always want your love. He never wants to be alone and would never run off . He is my copilot it has just been diagnosed with prostate cancer. I’m devastated.

by Anonymousreply 133December 26, 2018 12:42 PM

Parson Russel Terrier

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134December 26, 2018 1:32 PM

Viszlas are gawjus, but they need lots of exercise and hate being away from their pack, even for a few minutes. Such gentle and affectionate dogs, though. Sorry for your heartache, R133.

by Anonymousreply 135December 26, 2018 2:59 PM

R133 Oh, I am so sorry.

A hug from me for your sweet boy.

by Anonymousreply 136December 26, 2018 3:16 PM

I've one purebred (Afghan hound - total crazed bitch from hell), and 3 rescues. The first was a cockapoo (poodle, cocker spaniel mix). Total sweetheart. Second was a Jack Russell/dachshund/chihuahua mix. Another great dog, smart as a whip. The first two were males. Current pet is a chihuahua/min pin mix, female. IMO the female is more affectionate with us than the males were. Long story short; rescues make the best pets. They do come with some issues, but they're worth working thorough. They will love you to death and break your heart when the end comes.

by Anonymousreply 137December 26, 2018 4:17 PM

R133 all the best for a positive outcome

by Anonymousreply 138December 26, 2018 6:05 PM

I'm afraid of rescues because so many of them are Pit mixes and they won't tell you the truth.

by Anonymousreply 139December 26, 2018 11:05 PM

Pit bulls by far. So sweet and so loyal. I bet I could get mine to rip the face off the fag at R139 and then cuddle while watching a movie.

by Anonymousreply 140December 26, 2018 11:08 PM

For R140.

Sorry, Gurlfriend. You asked.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141December 26, 2018 11:10 PM

Let's leave the toxic pit bull discussion on the current cesspool of a thread elsewhere on this site, shall we?

by Anonymousreply 142December 26, 2018 11:12 PM

^^ No.

by Anonymousreply 143December 26, 2018 11:22 PM

R142, Pit owner, and an Idiot.

by Anonymousreply 144December 26, 2018 11:24 PM

R144 Not a pit owner, nor a caftan flapping prisspot like some of the queens on that thread. But thanks for checking in.

by Anonymousreply 145December 26, 2018 11:58 PM

Italian Greyhound

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146December 27, 2018 12:26 AM

Boxers can be so silly!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147December 27, 2018 2:25 AM

I had Cocker's from the time I was a toddler until my late 20's. They're the nicest dogs, but the grooming and ongoing health issues they can be very costly. I know have 2 dachshund sisters Thelma and Louise. They're going on 16 and may be the last dogs I own. I can't see replacing them.

by Anonymousreply 148December 27, 2018 2:31 AM

The main challenge with all dogs is that owners generally outlive them.

But, as my mother used to say, “Better we should outlive them than they should outlive us”

Too true.

by Anonymousreply 149December 27, 2018 2:38 AM

Every Cocker I ever knew was a biter. Their bites may not be as serious as pit bites, but they do require a visit to the ER.

by Anonymousreply 150December 27, 2018 5:52 AM

My son just got a Cavalier King Charles. So adorable and I have never met a sweeter dog. He's such a love bug. He'll cuddle with anyone. His puppy trainer suggested signing him up to be a therapy dog.

One weird thing about him though is he does not lift his leg to pee. He's 8 months old and he just runs outside and squats or he stands there and let's loose with a weak stream-- sometimes he even starts walking while he's still peeing. I've never seen this before. Every male dog I've ever known sniffs around for something vertical to pee against and they are particularly interested in places where another dog has recently peed. This dog doesn't do any of that. Could he have a bladder problem?

by Anonymousreply 151December 27, 2018 6:04 AM

I knew a male sheltie who never lifted either leg to piss, r151. He would walk to the right place, usually the alley behind our apartment building, without waiting to find a grassy patch, and stop moving. Then he would piss, right in place, neither leg going up.

He was owned by two women, and I used to wonder if that had anything to do with it.

by Anonymousreply 152December 27, 2018 6:11 AM

Shitz Poo, a Shih Tzu/ Poodle combo.

by Anonymousreply 153December 27, 2018 6:22 AM

Bichon Frise

by Anonymousreply 154December 27, 2018 7:22 AM

Staffordshire Porcelain.

All others may be shipped to Korea.

by Anonymousreply 155December 27, 2018 7:33 AM

I really want a Cavalier but the breed is so popular in my country that you have to wait years to get one. The breeders literally have waiting lists.

by Anonymousreply 156December 27, 2018 7:35 AM

If you're going to go with a Cocker Spaniel it should be the American version as it's much cuter than the English kind.

by Anonymousreply 157December 27, 2018 7:39 AM

Cavaliers are predisposed to chronic, degenerative mitral valve disease (MVD) and have much shorter average lifespans than other similarly sized breeds. But yes, they are wonderful dogs.

by Anonymousreply 158December 27, 2018 7:56 AM

I’m collecting a large number of Dalmatians at the moment.

by Anonymousreply 159December 27, 2018 8:07 AM

Had cocker spaniels growing up, wouldn’t recommend them.

by Anonymousreply 160December 27, 2018 8:44 AM

Airedale Terrier for me

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161December 27, 2018 9:22 AM

Bull terriers (clowns like pugs)

Corgis

by Anonymousreply 162December 27, 2018 10:19 AM

[Quote] I know have 2 dachshund sisters Thelma and Louise.

Niice!

by Anonymousreply 163December 27, 2018 10:31 AM

[quote]Bull terriers

The only truly ugly dog.

by Anonymousreply 164December 27, 2018 10:42 AM

[quote]One weird thing about him though is he does not lift his leg to pee.

It's not uncommon, R151, particularly with young dogs.

by Anonymousreply 165December 27, 2018 12:48 PM

I prefer large mutts, but if i had to choose a full breed, German or Belgian shepards .

by Anonymousreply 166December 27, 2018 1:20 PM

Bernese mountain dog

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167December 27, 2018 1:27 PM

If you're a droolophile, r167.

by Anonymousreply 168December 27, 2018 5:13 PM

Basenjis! They don't smell. They barely shed. And they always look worried. I love them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169December 28, 2018 2:20 AM

German Shepherd

by Anonymousreply 170December 28, 2018 3:57 AM

I love Basengi's too. I would get one if they weren't known for being cunning escape artists. They are runners and difficult to catch if they get out or off leash.

by Anonymousreply 171December 28, 2018 4:05 AM

Maltese

by Anonymousreply 172December 28, 2018 4:11 AM

Husky

by Anonymousreply 173December 28, 2018 4:30 AM

Husky/Wolf hybrid from Canada.

by Anonymousreply 174December 28, 2018 4:33 AM

R116 most cats can be taught to retrieve. Ask me on another thread how

by Anonymousreply 175December 28, 2018 4:39 AM

If you are determined to have a purebred, but also want a rescue, a greyhound is the way to go. I could never get a dog who wasn't already needing for a home when so many incredibly loving dogs are already looking for you!

Plus they have super short fine hair that doesn't need grooming, other than an occasional bath, and the rarely barking thing is a life saver in an apartment. They love to walk and run around a bit, but are then generally exhausted for hours after and take lots of naps.

by Anonymousreply 176December 28, 2018 4:39 AM

R62, yes the pomsky. Lots of Siberian Huskies in death row because lazy shits can't keep up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177December 28, 2018 4:49 AM

Wolf hybrids explained

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178December 28, 2018 4:58 AM

I have a siberian/grey timber/arctic mix in Canada home

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179December 28, 2018 5:03 AM

Only canadian breeder would i trust. Don't have to pay. They end up in pounds and on petfinder on the reg but wolf part isn't mentioned. Use your eyes to discern as illegal in some places

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180December 28, 2018 5:08 AM

I understand pitbulls are great for looking after children.

by Anonymousreply 181December 28, 2018 5:09 AM

NJ wolf hybrid for sale. Only go with if Canadian is involved in operation at these places. Seriously

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182December 28, 2018 5:15 AM

Who is the wolfdog nutcase on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 183December 28, 2018 5:33 AM

I just put my beautiful silky terrier boy down last night. A wonderful companion of 17 years.

by Anonymousreply 184December 28, 2018 5:47 AM

Ohhhh...poor you r184. 17 is a great number of years, though. We gays are so good with our pets.

by Anonymousreply 185December 28, 2018 5:55 AM

Dachshunds.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186December 28, 2018 5:57 AM

I have never met a friendly Dachshund.

by Anonymousreply 187December 28, 2018 6:02 AM

I have a husky mix who probably has some wolf in there. Best dog I've every had. But my favorite breed hands down is the handsome, loyal, highly intelligent German Shepherd. Unfortunately I've never known one who didn't develop crippling pain from the hip dysplasia the breed is known for, so I'll probably never have another one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188December 28, 2018 6:18 AM

Thankyou r185. The loss feels unbearable.

by Anonymousreply 189December 28, 2018 6:31 AM

Samoyed

Pomeranian

Keeshond

by Anonymousreply 190December 28, 2018 6:38 AM

Just a tip everyone - the next few months are a great time to get purebreed dogs cheap at your local county shelters. People recieve dogs for Xmas they weren't prepared for and inevitablely surrender them to the pound when it becomes too much for them. Purebreed dogs at mutt prices, it's great!

by Anonymousreply 191December 28, 2018 7:03 AM

R177 that's.....good to know.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 192December 28, 2018 7:10 AM

I realize the heart wants what it wants, but a couple of comments on some of the breeds mentioned:

Basenjis - I had one. Never again. Stubborn, willful, and bit several people for no good reason, tho not me. Cute as hell, but there are many cute dogs that are easy to live with. Basenjis are perfect for those people who think they want a wild animal.

Pharaoh hounds - nice dogs but they bark,bark, bark, bark, bark!

American cocker spaniels - nice, big a little hyper, but a lot of health issues in some of them.

Lastly, why the fuck are all wolf hybrids mixed with huskies? Huskies are fine dogs but very independent. Wouldn't it to be easier to live with a hybrid if one parent was a poodle or a lab or some other generally obedient breed?

by Anonymousreply 193December 28, 2018 8:02 AM

that wolf woman in r178 is cray.

She's got one of her pets there who attacks her female dogs and killed her Pomeranian.

by Anonymousreply 194December 28, 2018 8:06 AM

[quote]Stubborn, willful, and bit several people for no good reason, tho not me.

He should have bitten you, for typing "tho."

by Anonymousreply 195December 28, 2018 8:15 AM

All breeds have their good points, and most are specialized for one or more jobs (guarding, herding, killing rodents, sitting on their owner's lap snarling at anyone who comes close, etc) but imo the best overall dog is the golden retriever: smart, beautiful, loyal, and the perfect size to play and cuddle with.

by Anonymousreply 196December 28, 2018 11:48 AM

Collie dogs!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197December 28, 2018 12:37 PM

R139 speaks truth. We adopted from the county shelter. All the pics were of his schnozz and neck at strange angles. I said to my bf out loud, "Why didn't they take any of those dozen pictures from the top of his head?" The shelter said he was a "blue heeler x black lab mix."

All was revealed when when we went to meet him. I looked at my bf and said, "Another pitbull." The shelter employee tried to disagree and I countered, "All you have in here are pitbulls and chihuahuas." He has a lab's nose and face, but the skull and body are pitbull. He was extremely affectionate and my bf wanted to take him home immediately. The dog is doing well, behaves, and hasn't eaten any neighborhood children.

by Anonymousreply 198December 28, 2018 10:42 PM

This is OT kinda, but does anyone here owned or been around a Rhodesian Ridgeback? I think they're beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 199December 29, 2018 8:53 AM

Why are shelters full of Chihuahuas?

by Anonymousreply 200December 29, 2018 9:13 AM

My little rat baby is a schnauzer .. I’ve known a few and they’re all very smart, spirited grumpy old men

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201December 29, 2018 11:58 AM

Westie. Jack Russell.

by Anonymousreply 202December 29, 2018 12:17 PM

My friends have had a couple of Rhodesian Ridgebacks. They're even-tempered, good-natured dogs, maybe a little willful sometimes. They get those growths on their doggy elbows, even when they sleep in dog beds. Good looking. My friends throw lots of small parties without problems; the dogs don't freak out over strangers. No excessive barking.

by Anonymousreply 203December 29, 2018 2:48 PM

I like a good mixture - your standard scruffy mongrel.

by Anonymousreply 204December 29, 2018 2:50 PM

I've had:

Airedale.

Lab/dalmatian mix.

Brittany.

Purebred lab.

Greyhound.

The family had:

Australian shepherd.

Pit mix.

Blue tick/Walker hound.

Terrier.

Beagle.

They were all great dogs. I'm breed agnostic.

by Anonymousreply 205December 29, 2018 3:13 PM

[quote]The dog is doing well, behaves, and hasn't eaten any neighborhood children.

And he may not...or he may.

THAT is the problem with pitbulls and mixes. The breeding stock has been so infiltrated with animals bred for aggressive behaviors that it's impossible to know what you're getting. Coupled with the already unpredictable nature of all animals, and you have an unstable and uncertain situation.

It's not that they're all bad animals - if they were, there'd be stories every day of multiple maulings and fatal attacks. It's that the variability of the existing stock is so extreme that the uncertainty creates a level of risk that needs to be factored into any adoption.

by Anonymousreply 206December 29, 2018 4:25 PM

I'm getting a Presa Canario to eat the neighborhood children. They're such pests.

by Anonymousreply 207December 29, 2018 4:42 PM

My parents have a golden doodle (golden retriever mother/poodle father) and he's a great dog. Love kids, loves adults, loves other dogs, smart, easy to train, not a big barker, doesn't shed, doesn't drool.

He is a terrible watchdog though. If I'm over there and someone is at the door, he might look up at me as if to ask "well, aren't you going to get it? It could be someone fun to play with!"

Or he might just continue chewing on his toy.

by Anonymousreply 208December 29, 2018 5:32 PM

I've had two OE Sheepdogs - wonderful companions, and two loveable Bedlington terriers.

by Anonymousreply 209December 29, 2018 5:45 PM

My mother’ OE sheepdog bit me. You can keep them. So fucking ugly, besides which.

by Anonymousreply 210December 29, 2018 5:59 PM

Dalmatian, best dogs ever...

by Anonymousreply 211December 29, 2018 6:04 PM

For those with longhaired breeds -- how do the dogs keep from soiling themselves when they take a poo? Or do you have to wash back there after every movement?

by Anonymousreply 212December 29, 2018 6:30 PM

Westie Westie Westie. They’re smart as hell, not too active (I have a smaller yard), clean and cute. She wears a bark collar so I don’t make my neighbors insane. But yes, they are stubborn, you have to be devoted to daily training, but if you have a knack for training, they are easy to obey once they understand you’re the boss.

There is almost no shedding, I get her groomed about every six weeks because their nails grow fast. She loves to bury bones so expect some holes in your flower beds. Excellent watchdog. Just intelligent, playful, clean, beautiful lapdog. Adore my Lucy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213December 29, 2018 6:56 PM

The best I ever had was when I lived in GA, I got a dog at a pound called a Carolina Dog. They are in the process of being recognized as their own breed. Smartest dog EVER. Highly protective, clean, barely ever barked. Many people mistake them for a basenji but they’re not (see the tail). If you want something exotic and intelligent, research this beeed, it is fascinating. If memory serves, their DNA Tree is slightly different? Maybe someone else can clarify I’m too tired to google it. I looooooooooooved that dog, she was active, tough, and loyal to the end. She was just a beautiful animal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 214December 29, 2018 7:00 PM

Another Carolina dog......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215December 29, 2018 7:04 PM

I would rather not have a dog than force one to wear a "bark" collar. Is yours electrotorture, r213, or does it spray chemicals in her face?

by Anonymousreply 216December 29, 2018 7:04 PM

It’s electric r216, and it doesn’t have a battery in it. When she wears it she knows not to bark now. When I got the collar I had never heard of them and was horrified once I realized what it did to her — I expected a little vibration or something, but it was much worse. The only good thing that’s come out of it is she learned quickly to not incessantly bark when it’s on — and she does incessantly bark. So I eliminated the actually ability of it to hurt her but still put it on or she has terrible manners and we have neighbors quite close. I think they’re terrible and could never use one knowing what I know now, but the flip side is if someone who loves dogs could save a dog from being put down but need a bark collar to keep neighbors from bitching, I’d rather the dog be saved. But you are right, it’s a terrible thing and should be avoided.

I got a new expensive one I’m going to try that delivers which tone when they keep barking,I’m going to try that.

by Anonymousreply 217December 29, 2018 7:12 PM

Echoing R26 and R148. we had two cocker spaniels over a 14 year period. With the monthly grooming and ear infections despite daily cleaning, they can be expensive. And they were very clingy - following me everywhere I went in the house. Nice companionship when relaxing and watching tv, but a pain when trying to move around the kitchen. I tripped over them many times.

Now we have a Rhodesian RIdgeback mentioned by R203. Good guard dog. But needs to go on long daily walks . Has also killed numerous opossums and squirrels in the backyard. And is the opposite of clingy - it has no need to be in the same room with me, and, in fact, leaves me at approximately 9 p.m. every night to go to bed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 218December 29, 2018 7:18 PM

[quote]Why are shelters full of Chihuahuas?

Because selfish cunts breed and sell them incessantly. But Chihuahuas are terrible dogs: nervous, yappy, and more vicious than most dogs 10x their size!

So idiots buy these overbred bug-eyed rats and treat them like a porcelain doll instead of a real dog, then when the monster bites their kid, the idiot dumps the dog at a shelter.

by Anonymousreply 219December 31, 2018 9:34 AM

I can't believe people think wolf hybrids are a good idea? Who ARE these people? In fact, domesticating a wild animal (which part of it is) is cruel.

Read more:

Wolf-dog hybrids fall into a special class due to their mixture of being part undomesticated. The regulation of wolf hybrids often occurs on a state-level for this reason. States like Alaska, Michigan, Massachusetts and Maryland ban their ownership. When state law is silent on this issue, some cities do incorporate wolf hybrids into their breed-specific ordinances. Notably, all three major military divisions prohibit pit bulls, Rottweilers and wolf hybrids in privatized housing.

The wolf-dog hybrid, also called ‘wolfdog’, is an emotional trap people walk into all too often. Sometimes it's about the latest macho fashion -- a Rottweiler or a pit bull isn't good enough, you're not a real man until you have a half-wolf playing with your children. Sometimes it's about television dog trainers or romantic novels and movies, who tell us the dog is basically a dulled-down wolf, thus that a (half-)wolf becomes a dog if only you get it when it's young. Other times, it's simply the selfish wish to have the most exclusive pet in the neighborhood. All kinds of animals pay the price for these vanities, but as our archive shows, it is most of all our children who are suffering the consequences. Due to the misery and death the wolfdog phenomenon causes, both animal and human, we need some cold, hard biological facts here -- a reality check. Fact: The breeding and keeping of ‘wolfdogs’ is bad for dogs, bad for wolves, and above all bad for our human children.

As more and more research shows, the dog did not ‘descend from’ the wolf any more than you ‘descended’ from your sixth cousin. A wolf is not just some wild kind of dog, and the domestic dog is not merely some inferior or tame form of wolf. All of a wolf’s physiology, its senses, inherent motor patterns, reflexes and emotions are adapted to a rich but hard life in the wild. It took tens of thousands of years of evolution to make the domestic dog equally superbly honed for life with us. When you mix the two, you create creatures that are inferior to both wolf and dog, and that are destined to be miserably unhappy -- they fit neither in a wild world nor in our human one.

Hybrid character is generally unpredictable because it’s impossible to know which dog vs. wolf traits a particular animal has inherited. There are, however, some common behaviors almost all hybrids share. They are escape artists and roamers. They are extremely shy and may be aggressive with humans they haven’t known intimately all their lives. A hybrid often won’t let a human touch it and can respond with severe biting if someone tries -- even their owner. They don’t hesitate to kill small animals and other canids (including your neighbors’ dogs). Most tragic of all, a human infant or child can trigger the same reflexive hunting chain that a lamb does in a hungry wolf. These are genetically determined traits. You cannot socialize a hybrid into being a dog that just looks a lot or a little like a wolf.

Perhaps the worst of the lot are the breeders of hybrids. Some are extremely dishonest and uninformed, no matter their pretense of expertise. Others know what misery they’re causing, but don’t care about the animals -- wolf, dog and hybrid -- they exploit. None apparently care about the risk their product poses for the public, especially for our children. Hybrid breeding is a ruthless enterprise, based on ignorance, arrogance and love of cash.

by Anonymousreply 220December 31, 2018 9:39 PM

What this thread needs is a little German Shorthaired Pointing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 221December 31, 2018 9:46 PM

More GSP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 222December 31, 2018 9:49 PM

IGGY

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 223December 31, 2018 9:52 PM

[quote] it has no need to be in the same room with me, and, in fact, leaves me at approximately 9 p.m. every night to go to bed.

LOL. That's the opposite of my parents golden doodle (at R208) who my parents call the "Bedtime Nazi" -- if they're not in their bedroom at around 10PM (when he wants to go to sleep) he'll start scolding them until they get up and head towards the bedroom and will start up again if they leave the ceiling lights on (versus bedside lamps, which he seems to be okay with.)

by Anonymousreply 224December 31, 2018 9:55 PM

German Shepherd. But you do need the time and energy to give it a life it deserves - lots of exercise and reasons for it to use its brain.

by Anonymousreply 225December 31, 2018 10:00 PM

My favorite breed is German Shepherd. We always had pure bred shepherds growing up and they are fantastic dogs.

My father found the breeders, checked the bloodlines and breeder reputations and trained the dogs himself. I wish I had that knowledge and talent around dogs.

by Anonymousreply 226December 31, 2018 10:02 PM

My mother did that, too, with GSDs, r226. She just knew how to deal with dogs. They're not my favorite breed, though. I prefer my Germans to be Shorthaired Pointers.

by Anonymousreply 227December 31, 2018 10:07 PM

I don't like white dogs. They always have dirty beards and tear stains. See R213.

by Anonymousreply 228December 31, 2018 10:25 PM

The Carolina Dog is very handsome. I would definitely consider one if they don't shed, don't bark too much and don't try to escape and run (like Basenjis)

by Anonymousreply 229December 31, 2018 10:27 PM

I grew up with a GSP and he was a very loveable goofy dog. He did have a naughty streak in that he was a good escape artist and would run away sometimes, returning hours later panting to death. He was also use to whine quite a lot but I think that’s common in pointers.

I currently have a welsh springer spaniel. She can get over excited with other dogs or kids but apart from that no problems at all, she’s the sweetest most loving dog you could hope for imo.

by Anonymousreply 230December 31, 2018 10:31 PM

I am the Carolina Dog poster. My dog literally had almost no shedding, barked very very little. I don’t recall her being an escape artist/runner. But I had her when I was in college so I had lots of free time which meant I brought her to the dog park almost daily, she received vigorous exercise all the time, so I’m sure that helped a lot with her behavior. I would definitely say she was the best dog I ever had, AND I would never recommend the breed to someone who isn’t a strong dog trainer and adept at handling a strong-willed/alpha animal.

I was extremely comfortable with that, so her training period was an absolute labor of love and paid off tremendously, everyone who met her adored her and were impressed. But if you aren’t equipped to be highly energetic and committed to an active lifestyle with the dog, probably not the right breed. Just my two cents.

by Anonymousreply 231December 31, 2018 10:39 PM

My husband got an eight-week old Jack Russell, who turns twelve in January. After forty years with a Cocker Spaniel attached to my hip or underfoot, I was unprepared for a Jack Russell. As a puppy, he played like puppies do. He was fun to be around. We took turns with him at obedience training. He is smart and learns new stuff quickly. He will make your arm fall off from exhaustion playing fetch. Even at 12, he is still indefatigable. That is the good stuff.

I like my dogs to be affectionate and obedient. This dog rarely wants to be close to us. He comes when you call him, but he turns around a goes away just as quickly. As a terrier, he prefers to burrow under something -- a blanket, pillows, throw rug. He is a touch-me-not. I asked the vet about this once, and she said that Jack Russells are known for being stubborn and treating their interactions with humans as quid pro quo exchanges. Boy, was she right! She also said that they do not tolerate any kind of abuse, which explains why he hates my mother. When he was young, she visited for a few weeks. I caught her swatting him a couple times when he did something she did not like. Every time she visits since, he keeps his distance from her. One time, he brought her shoes one by one and placed them at her feet.

Compared to my Cocker Spaniels, however, the Jack Russell is relatively healthy. He sheds like a maniac, though -- short, white hairs are omnipresent. The only health problems have been benign fatty tumors that all old dogs develop. Usually I leave them alone, but one grew in his "armpit" and seemed to cause discomfort. So I had it and a couple others removed. I don't know how long he will live, but I know that I'll never get another Jack Russell. They are a one-way emotional relationship.

by Anonymousreply 232January 1, 2019 1:51 AM

Thanks r218. I think the Ridgeback is what I'm looking for. I live in the country and I walk around 3 to 4 miles a day and like having a companion with me. My elderly Dachshunds did up until they were around 12.

by Anonymousreply 233January 1, 2019 2:30 AM

R218 I love the way the Ridgeback looks but wish there was a happy medium between the clingy viszla and the aloof ridgeback.

by Anonymousreply 234January 1, 2019 3:08 AM

I've tried the kind of bark collar that makes a loud sound when the dog barks. That dog considered it musical accompaniment: "bark BEEP. bark BEEP, bark BEEP..." It made the barking even more annoying. We tossed it.

I've never owned a Ridgeback but know people who have them. They are fine, sensible dogs. They aren't clingy, but they are obedient, with more of a working dog personality than a typical hound.

by Anonymousreply 235January 1, 2019 4:23 AM

Please name the five dog breeds least interested in chasing a ball.

by Anonymousreply 236January 1, 2019 4:53 AM

R238

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 237January 4, 2019 6:24 AM

"Fetch makes me kvetch." Dogs to match?

by Anonymousreply 238January 4, 2019 11:47 AM

Poodles are my favorite. The combo of train ability and emotional intelligence is unbeatable, plus they’re beautiful.

I think my next dog will be a Cavalier King Charles spaniel

by Anonymousreply 239February 23, 2020 6:30 AM

English Shepherd

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 240February 24, 2020 10:53 AM

I love my pugs and have had several over the past 20 years but after my latest elderly Rescue pugs go I’m thinking just a small dog mutt mix.

by Anonymousreply 241February 24, 2020 10:57 AM

Tibetan Mastiff

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 242February 24, 2020 10:59 AM

Bernese Mountain dogs. Beautiful, but with short lifespans.

by Anonymousreply 243February 24, 2020 11:02 AM

Irish wolfhound 🐺

Bitch due to whelp in 3 weeks.

Sweet, gentle, loyal and affectionate.

by Anonymousreply 244February 24, 2020 11:05 AM

I like bratty dogs better than well-behaved ones most of the time. I grew up with a bossy Yorkie. I just feel like super-obedient lapdogs have been lobotomized and have no personality like the first lady.

My sister adopted a dog who I just absolutely love through and through, though. She turned out to be a “Carolina dog” or “American dingo,” and she is just the sweetest and smartest dog. She has a little bit of brat in her, sometimes making little messes when she knows she is alone, but around people (especially me!), she’s very gentle and even calming. I’ve never been around another dog who has the same sort of serene effect. And did I mention she’s smart? My dad’s maltipoo stands at the door to the garage crying and scratching for up to an hour after my father leaves through it. My sister’s dingo dog watches anyone leave through the garage door and then gently walks to the front window and watches for the car to leave. She also can open any door with a handle (versus a knob, although she tries with knobs but obviously can’t grip them). She just reaches up and pushes on the handle and pushes the door open with her nose. I feel like she’s a person. Such a lovely creature.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 245February 24, 2020 11:09 AM

Gordon Setters are lovely. Handsome and not as flighty as Irish Setters.

I also like Caucasian Shepherds, but they are difficult to find.

by Anonymousreply 246February 24, 2020 2:19 PM

What breed?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 247September 13, 2020 7:32 PM

Boxshers.

by Anonymousreply 248September 13, 2020 7:37 PM

What is the “shers” part?

by Anonymousreply 249September 13, 2020 7:42 PM

unsurprisingly, I love dogs, all dogs. I am a bit creeped out by full sized poodles. I tend to be the most in love with giant breeds and any bully breed. I like my dogs like I like my men, big, kind of dumb, affectionate, shady past, always wonder if they have a criminal record or potential for one.

I also always wanted an American eskimo. then I had one. Loved him dearly but I will not purposely have a Spitz breed again.

by Anonymousreply 250September 13, 2020 7:46 PM

We have a pug and a black lab. Both excellent dogs.

by Anonymousreply 251September 13, 2020 7:48 PM

My spoodle was a super-friendly, smart (mostly), funny dog. She would take all the kleenex out of wastebaskets and scatter them around, then come and sit and look at me like, "I have a little surprise for you!" I miss her like crazy.

by Anonymousreply 252September 13, 2020 8:19 PM

Goldendoodles and Labradoodles are popular for a reason-- they are very loving, easy to train, don't bark a lot, love other dogs, love kids and old people, don't shed. They are high energy though.

by Anonymousreply 253September 13, 2020 8:25 PM

r247 I would guess that dog is a cross between a pit bull and a Golden Retriever.

by Anonymousreply 254September 16, 2020 3:20 AM

Anything that is small, annoying, snapping, constantly yipping, biting, angry and tiny enough to be washed by stirring it with a spoon is a soup cup filled with warm water and soap.

by Anonymousreply 255September 16, 2020 3:48 AM

Apologies, I'll try that again paying closer attention: Anything that isn't small, annoying, snapping, constantly yapping, biting, angry and tiny enough to be washed by stirring it with a spoon in a soup cup filled with warm water and soap.

by Anonymousreply 256September 16, 2020 3:49 AM

This breed. Too cute and very expressive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 257September 16, 2020 3:58 AM

I like Goldens a lot, and also (unsurprisingly) Goldendoodles. And also Labradoodles.

Pure labs are sweet, but they want to play "fech" constantly (yes, I know it's bred in them--thus the name), and they also have that oil that comes off their coats.

by Anonymousreply 258September 16, 2020 4:04 AM

"fetch," not "fech."

Much less "felch."

by Anonymousreply 259September 16, 2020 4:34 AM

None! I would think most DLers would know better to keep a filthy animal like a dog in the house!! It will definitely get the caftans dirty!! I never in all my life.

In general dogs are nice for 30 min then become too much. Who wants to pick up poop, It'll definitely track on my caftan!

by Anonymousreply 260September 16, 2020 4:54 AM

Pomeranians and King Charles Cavalier spaniels.

by Anonymousreply 261September 16, 2020 5:50 AM

My days of dog ownership are over, though. I am quite willing to scoop pee and poop from cat litter boxes, but picking up dog shit in public is way beneath my dignity.

by Anonymousreply 262September 16, 2020 5:52 AM

Norwegian Elkhounds - healthy, smart, funny, but shed their weight in fur. They’ve found skeletons of this breed on Viking ships.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 263September 16, 2020 6:21 AM

Imagine this monster in a shoebox size NYC studio apartment!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 264September 17, 2020 3:21 AM

Shelter

by Anonymousreply 265September 17, 2020 4:24 AM

I love dire wolves, the world's largest dogs. They might even be larger than the dog pictured @ R264!

by Anonymousreply 266September 17, 2020 9:43 AM

Saarloos

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 267September 17, 2020 10:50 AM

Dachshunds - friendly dogs and don't shed b/c their hair is so short. Not too big to have in an apartment.

by Anonymousreply 268September 17, 2020 11:52 AM

Biased here but Mini Aussies (aka American Shepherd per AKC) are supersmart, devoted & best suited for very active lifestyle

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 269September 17, 2020 12:08 PM

Kangal

If I were rich and had a country estate I would get a Kangal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 270September 17, 2020 11:01 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!