Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

'Queer as Folk' Reboot Coming to Bravo

Bravo is currently developing a reboot of Queer as Folk, but don’t pack your bags for Pittsburgh just yet, the cable net is teaming up with creator Russell T. Davies, to remake his original U.K. series, not the Showtime version.

Davies will serve as executive producer, along with Nicola Shindler, who executive produced the original series. Stephen Dunn, who directed 2015’s Closet Monster, is attached to write and executive produce as well.

According to Variety, QAF 2.0 will feature all new characters in a new setting, and is being described as “a modern take on the original British series that centers on a group of club-going friends who find support in the gay community following a tragedy.”

The original British Queer as Folk ran from 1999-2000 for a total of ten episodes—and two iconic soundtracks. No word on when the series will begin production, or premiere, but this proves that Bravo will continue ramping up its original scripted programming after the success of Dirty John.

The revival will star a new set of characters, but couldn’t Nathan make a cameo? After all, Charlie Hunnam said he would be down.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47August 23, 2019 6:51 PM

Why ?

by Anonymousreply 1December 19, 2018 3:22 AM

I agree with why although the UK series was at least good the first time around.

by Anonymousreply 2December 19, 2018 3:31 AM

The fact that Davies is involved makes this far far far more interesting than it would be if it was anybody involved in the garbage fire American version

by Anonymousreply 3December 19, 2018 3:31 AM

Davies + Bravo= all white cast

by Anonymousreply 4December 19, 2018 3:43 AM

Maybe they are wandering around Arizona picking up then killing truckers (and not the cute ones)

by Anonymousreply 5December 19, 2018 3:55 AM

It would make since to take place in Chicago.

by Anonymousreply 6December 19, 2018 4:07 AM

Do not remake the US version, please. Will the setting be 1999 or 2019? Not sure how much the gay scene has changed other than fewer condoms and clubs, more cell phones and a marriage option

by Anonymousreply 7December 19, 2018 5:08 AM

[QUOTE]It would make since to take place in Chicago.

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 8December 19, 2018 5:12 AM

I just hope it’s about gay men and gay men only.

by Anonymousreply 9December 19, 2018 5:18 AM

r5 that would be my favourite show

by Anonymousreply 10December 19, 2018 6:35 AM

You can't show anything hardcore on Bravo! You can't even swear or cuss.

by Anonymousreply 11December 19, 2018 6:43 AM

The original QaF is still ahead of its time. When was the last time you saw a mainstream show where the two main characters meet up in the first episode, go home to fuck and in a fully lit room, one of them rims the other while sweat is dripping off their hot bodies and a look of complete ecstasy on both their faces?

by Anonymousreply 12December 19, 2018 6:48 AM

R9 You can bet it wont be. I BET it will have a trans man and a bi/queer guy who *educates* the cis gays on their queerphobia and how narrow minded they are for not being as enlightened and *open* as he is. Mark my words.

by Anonymousreply 13December 19, 2018 7:02 AM

List of characters the new version MUST include according to SJWs everywhere:

Transgenders

Bisexuals

Gender queers

Sexually fluids

POCs

Lesbians

by Anonymousreply 14December 24, 2018 11:51 AM

R13 NAILED IT.

by Anonymousreply 15December 24, 2018 11:51 AM

R13 Remember how POSE was supposed to be about gays, yet they made it into a trans show instead? Won't be shocked at all if the same thing happens to this reboot.

by Anonymousreply 16December 24, 2018 11:52 AM

[quote]Davies + Bravo= all white cast

UM...very unlikely.

by Anonymousreply 17December 24, 2018 11:59 AM

Hollywood has officially run out of ideas

by Anonymousreply 18December 24, 2018 12:43 PM

The reboot will appear on NBCUniversal's as of yet unnamed streaming service , and not Bravo, if it is picked up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19August 15, 2019 8:40 PM

I wonder if there will be full frontal nudity

by Anonymousreply 20August 15, 2019 8:55 PM

The original plan was a spin off called "Hazel's House." I can't remember why RTD backed out of it. Denise Black's character Hazel took in Nathan (Hunnam) when he ran away from home in QAF. The spin off would have continued the "home of waifs and strays" angle. Nathan likely wouldn't have been in it, but I expect the scene stealing Carla would have been.

by Anonymousreply 21August 15, 2019 9:31 PM

Hashelsh Houshe.

by Anonymousreply 22August 15, 2019 9:54 PM

Aiden Gillen was so utterly wrong. Hunnam was perfect but Gillen ruined the show.

by Anonymousreply 23August 22, 2019 9:27 PM

If you think Gillen was wrong you missed the point of his character.

by Anonymousreply 24August 22, 2019 9:30 PM

Nah, he was just too ugly, skinny, and pasty for it. Nowhere near the hottie the character called for.

by Anonymousreply 25August 22, 2019 9:45 PM

Did you see the character breakdown?

by Anonymousreply 26August 22, 2019 9:48 PM

The what? No.

by Anonymousreply 27August 22, 2019 9:52 PM

If it's like the Tales of the City reboot, it's gonna be 65% Trans and 35% gay or lesbian. I thought Cucumber / Banana was great, but that seems eons ago - before Trans took over everything.

by Anonymousreply 28August 22, 2019 10:21 PM

Davies track record with gay related shows isn't that great - QaF was awesome but people forget the horrible Bob & Rose where the gay guy fell in love with a woman - it was a ratings bomb and generated a huge backlash against Davies in the early 90s. In fact, most of the gay press was trashing when QaF was first announced but it once it premiered, all was forgiven....until he bombed again with that trainwreck Ch.4 Cucumber fiasco. It was universally panned by critics (except for those ass lickers at Slate) and while early ratings were decent, they crashed after the 3rd or 4th episode when it really went to shit. Many assumed Davies was having some midlife crisis because the older gay character was not only pathetic with no character growth or redemption and the younger gays didn't come off much better.

All of that said, I am not as worried about him buckling to the PC trans/fluid crowd - Davies isn't afraid to piss off the gays (or the LGBTs or whatever) - he has proven that and I don't get the impression that he keenly follows the latest "queer" twitter trends.

I am just surprised he would ever agree to the concept of "rebooting" one of his trademark successes - seems like something he would object to on artistic/creative grounds. But maybe the failure of Cucumber made him gun shy...

by Anonymousreply 29August 23, 2019 3:43 AM

I loved Lesley Sharp and Jessica Hynes in "Bob & Rose." DL fave Siobhan Finneran played one of Sharp's friends. Was there a huge backlash against Davies? "The Second Coming" followed a little over a year after B&R.

by Anonymousreply 30August 23, 2019 3:49 AM

I was in the UK for a semester abroad when it aired and I just remember really negative reaction in the gay press and the gay friends I had made weren't buying the premise - Davies insisted it was "common" in his experience and I think it was that line in particular that pissed people off the most. Noone could deny it had happened - exhibit "A" was Tom "Glad to be (not so) gay" Robinson - but it was Davies insinuation that he was exposing some dark secret that gay men were hiding that really pissed people offf - and he only doubled down when he got flack about it. He still seems pissed about it as he was still mentioning it in interviews and profiles as recently as Cucumber...

by Anonymousreply 31August 23, 2019 4:33 AM

Regarding r16's linked article. The move to release it on a streaming site is hopefully for allowing more mature (male nudity and guy on guy making out session) content on the show. No mention of Russel T. Davis' name in that one though.

I also enjoyed the audio book of One of Us Is Lying which is a high school teen Whodunit with one of the male characters having a coming out story.

by Anonymousreply 32August 23, 2019 5:50 AM

I'm still trying to figure out what r26 was referring to... does the "character breakdown", wherever that is, specify that Aiden Gillen's character must be scrawny and rat-faced yet inexplicably able to get any hot guy to sleep with him with zero effort? Because I rewatched a few episodes and Gillen was even uglier than I remember. The character needed Adonis-level looks to be plausible. Hunnam was great, though, perfect for capturing the late 90s twink vibe.

The reverse was true for the US version -- Gale Harold was hot as hell, the blonde twink Hunnam wannabe honestly looked like he had Down's Syndrome, very weird looking guy.

by Anonymousreply 33August 23, 2019 3:50 PM

[Quote] inexplicably able to get any hot guy to sleep with him with zero effort?

Did you even watch the scene where he picks up the two guys at the same time? Did the voiceover make any impression on you whatsoever?

I'm sure you were mystified by Gillen turning down Hunnam for the "Goodfuk" character that Hunnam describes as ugly.

by Anonymousreply 34August 23, 2019 3:54 PM

I think this is Bravo's first step in moving away from reality shows. The Housewives franchise is dying, especially now that Bethenny and LVP have left their respective shows.

by Anonymousreply 35August 23, 2019 4:12 PM

Why is Joel Olsteen in the promo pic at OP?

by Anonymousreply 36August 23, 2019 4:20 PM

r34 yes I do remember that scene, I also remember countless scenes where his much better looking Dr. Who fan friend says, "Oh, I could never get that guy, way out of my league" and Gillen's character is referred to in multiple episodes as the most eligible bachelor in Manchester, the hottest guy, or what Hunnam's character refers to as "the best".

It is very jarring to see a rat-faced dude like Gillen referred to that way. That scene you refer to (Gillen landing two guys who are both orders of magnitude hotter than him with no effort) was one of many severe jump the shark moments in the series. It comes off as above all a fantasy for mediocre looking dudes to believe for a little while they could not just land hotties, but have them begging for more.

Again, the US series had the opposite problem -- the Down's Syndrome kid landing the local Hero Top. Was just as jarring and weird.

by Anonymousreply 37August 23, 2019 4:28 PM

[Quote] "Oh, I could never get that guy, way out of my league"

And the Australian thinks Vince is better looking than Stuart... You really weren't paying attention.

by Anonymousreply 38August 23, 2019 4:41 PM

Will it be an SJW lecture show?

by Anonymousreply 39August 23, 2019 4:45 PM

[Quote] It comes off as above all a fantasy

It's meant to be fantastic. That element is further developed in the sequel (which I hated).

by Anonymousreply 40August 23, 2019 4:45 PM

Maybe the reboot will start with Gillen waking from the dream that was the original series to the reality that he is actually a virginal middle aged closet case.

by Anonymousreply 41August 23, 2019 4:54 PM

[quote] Because I rewatched a few episodes and Gillen was even uglier than I remember. The character needed Adonis-level looks to be plausible.

Both Gillen and Harold worked, because it was all about their cocky confidence and attitude (and not their actual looks) that gave them the reputation of being the most desirable gays in their towns.

Both the UK and the US version made it very clear that looks alone didn't matter much when you are not successful (enough) at your high profile job, when you don't have an entourage of loyal and forgiving friends who do your bidding, and you don't have your own fuck pad.

by Anonymousreply 42August 23, 2019 6:29 PM

There's a deleted scene on the DVD from the day after Vince's birthday party. Hazel comes to collect the presents and Stuart walk into the room naked. She says something like "I've seen better... and as for the walk..."

There's another good deleted scene from the same episode between Hunnam and Gillen, centred around the Green Card marriage plot. The pair had really good chemistry and Gillen elevated Hunnam's acting. There's a nice touch by the hair people, who gave Hunnam a pompadour to rival Gillen's. There's a lot of hero worship from Nathan re Stuart. Stuart shows him a way to be (an asshole, in several respects).

by Anonymousreply 43August 23, 2019 6:35 PM

Yuck.

by Anonymousreply 44August 23, 2019 6:39 PM

So, in other words, yes, 100% fantasy!

by Anonymousreply 45August 23, 2019 6:47 PM

You really think "A-Gays" always have to be the best looking? Do you ever leave your house?

by Anonymousreply 46August 23, 2019 6:49 PM

I'm available and my sister POP STAR ARIANA GRANDE thinks I'd be perfect as any of the lead characters.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47August 23, 2019 6:51 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!