Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Would you keep your travel plans if a ton of bad stuff suddenly happened to you at home?

I made plans for a trip 3 months ago. I haven't been able to get away from home in a long time, and finally I had a small window where I could....except in the weeks before I left, there has been one disaster after the next with everything from work to personal life to unexpected issues where I live.

And now I am here in this hotel (I did decide to go rather than lose a lot of the money) - but it was probably the wrong decision. Everyone was saying "it would get my mind off things - just go and have drinks and have fun" but I don't think it works that way. I am sitting in the room waiting for a call back on one of the issues (I need my laptop to discuss with the person), and now he's not even calling.

by Anonymousreply 20December 14, 2018 7:45 AM

Keep our plans and organize your time to handle both the home crazy and take time to relax,

Set aside time to work and relax.

Why is always so extreme with some people.

by Anonymousreply 1December 13, 2018 10:12 PM

I am not as good at compartmentalization as most people, unfortunately. With some things - maybe... not the latest stuff.

by Anonymousreply 2December 13, 2018 10:23 PM

OP Live your life for yourself and for your benefit. Fuck the dramas of other people. Let it go.

by Anonymousreply 3December 13, 2018 10:25 PM

OP, don't beat yourself up about it. If you had cancelled your plans, you would now be wondering whether you could be having fun and forgetting your troubles. Good luck.

by Anonymousreply 4December 13, 2018 10:41 PM

I'd shoot myself and just get it over with.

by Anonymousreply 5December 13, 2018 10:47 PM

Not enough info. Does not compute.

by Anonymousreply 6December 13, 2018 10:52 PM

Yes, OP, because things change. Consign that shit to the universe to take care of and enjoy your vacation. Cheers!

by Anonymousreply 7December 13, 2018 10:52 PM

I rescheduled my Russia trip that was scheduled to return on the day that my Dad eventually died. You mean like that? Can you please be more vague? Ty.

by Anonymousreply 8December 13, 2018 10:54 PM

Well there were domestic issues and financial issues and medical issues. And gardening issurs.

by Anonymousreply 9December 13, 2018 10:57 PM

It's what I'm doing. Five years of a slowly dying relationship, two years of accepting its done despite a lot of love and I'm going away for Christmas for my first ever vacation by myself since I was in the military.

by Anonymousreply 10December 13, 2018 11:02 PM

I'd keep my plans but end up dwelling on the issues anyway.

You can always leave early if you're not having a good time. I was stuck in Sydney after hiking New Zealand for two weeks. I was tired and the weather was crappy so I booked an earlier flight back to the U.S. Lost money on the hotel and had to pay an airline change fee but I was by myself and wanted to get back in my own bed.

I wish I could compartmentalize but I can't. I tend to dwell on things when I'm trying to relax or laying in bed trying to fall asleep.

Keep in mind whatever you're going through is temporary and and will eventually get resolved. As the old adage goes "This too shall pass".

by Anonymousreply 11December 13, 2018 11:55 PM

Mom died Monday night and was in the ground Thursday at noon cuz sis had a flight to Hawaii. So we know where she stands on that.....

by Anonymousreply 12December 14, 2018 12:01 AM

When's the will being read, R12?

by Anonymousreply 13December 14, 2018 12:03 AM

I suck at compartmentalizing too. You have my sympathy, OP.

by Anonymousreply 14December 14, 2018 12:11 AM

The best laid plans..we never know exactly what is going to happen which is why it's a miracle that so many people manage to have a drama free holiday every year. But yes I have been where you are at many times, having to sort out a bunch of issues, some very serious and depressing, from a distance. It becomes a lesson in expediting and handing off responsibility. And then letting go.

by Anonymousreply 15December 14, 2018 12:43 AM

[quote]OP, don't beat yourself up about it. If you had cancelled your plans, you would now be wondering whether you could be having fun and forgetting your troubles. Good luck.

That's true. Today wasn't as bad fortunately. Yesterday, the second I got off the plane & checked email it all was 10x worse. It's about me too - not just friends/fam. It's just too complicated to make into a DL post really.

by Anonymousreply 16December 14, 2018 3:15 AM

It’s the problem that comes with having to cram our “living” into life. Would be nice if we didn’t have to travel for 2 weeks to get away - and have a work / life existence that was integrated more organically.

by Anonymousreply 17December 14, 2018 3:19 AM

The curse of the Digital Age....you can never really get away from things unless you're out of signal.

by Anonymousreply 18December 14, 2018 3:26 AM

My friend’s mother died unexpectedly a few days before his scheduled vacation to London last year. He went anyway. He hasn’t spoken to his sisters since then. They were always the type of family where they would become estranged and then make up and then become estranged again, so not a surprise really.

by Anonymousreply 19December 14, 2018 4:44 AM

My dad fell (supposedly nothing too serious) the day I was leaving for Palm Springs - lots of other family around to be with him because it was close to the holidays. Got down to PS with my phone off because of airplane and then flight delays, so left it off because who would call after midnight?. Turned it on in the morning to get messages that my father was dying - brain bleed, and he was opting not to try any sort of treatment. I called him immediately in the hospital, and asked if he wanted me to fly back to be by his bedside, because I would be happy to do that. He said, "nope,absolutely not, there's nothing you could do for me here, let's just say our goodbyes over the phone". Surreal conversation, but, in a way, what would have been different if he had died in his sleep? (He was 87 when he passed away). At least we got to say good bye, I could tell him I love him. He was dead within 18 hours of that call - basically his body began shutting down and essentially he fell into a coma pretty quickly. It made for a very odd vacation that year. My family scurrying around cleaning up his apartment, and packing up his stuff, me on a lounge chair, but I had been the local child living in the same town with him, helping him out with odd jobs and visits for 10 years at that point, so I thought it was fair. Deep snow, so the memorial was postponed until the summer. My only contribution in that crazy time was that I began writing his obituary from PS and then forwarding it to my siblings to add on as they wished.

by Anonymousreply 20December 14, 2018 7:45 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!