Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Workers are ghosting their employers like bad dates

Economists report that workers are starting to act like millennials on Tinder: They’re ditching jobs with nary a text.

“A number of contacts said that they had been ‘ghosted,’ a situation in which a worker stops coming to work without notice and then is impossible to contact,” the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago noted in December’s Beige Book, which tracks employment trends.

National data on economic “ghosting” is lacking. The term, which usually applies to dating, first surfaced in 2016 on Dictionary.com. But companies across the country say silent exits are on the rise.

Analysts blame America’s increasingly tight labor market. Job openings have surpassed the number of seekers for eight straight months, and the unemployment rate has clung to a 49-year low of 3.7 percent since September.

Janitors, baristas, welders, accountants, engineers — they’re all in demand, said Michael Hicks, a labor economist at Ball State University in Indiana. More people may opt to skip tough conversations and slide right into the next thing.

“Why hassle with a boss and a bunch of out-processing,” he said, “when literally everyone has been hiring?”

Recruiters at global staffing firm Robert Half have noticed a “ten to twenty percent increase” in ghosting over the past year, D.C. district president Josh Howarth said.

Applicants blow off interviews. New hires turn into no-shows. Workers leave one evening and never return.

rest at link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66April 13, 2021 7:29 PM

In the HR world, this is technically called "Job Abandonment"

Have to say, it sounds like fun...

by Anonymousreply 1December 13, 2018 8:37 PM

Considering employers have ghosted interviewees and fired employees at will, what comes around...

by Anonymousreply 2December 13, 2018 8:40 PM

I kind of think this is funny.

The store I worked for for years was taken over by a venture capitalist group which treated people like crap, causing massive turnover.

Eventually after the holiday season when shifts slow down they laid me off even though I was not a seasonal hire. They didn’t even bother to tell me. I found out a week later when my employee discount didn’t work in another store and the manager there called my store. “ They said they terminated you a week ago, you didn’t know?” They real bitch of it was that they said so had no call/ no showed them three times. Which was impossible as I had a very limited availability due to disability and there was no way I could have had three shifts in the space of time they claim. Unless there are three Fridays in a week now.

by Anonymousreply 3December 13, 2018 8:43 PM

Whoops^ “ had said “ I “ had no call/ no showed.

by Anonymousreply 4December 13, 2018 8:45 PM

LOVE IT!

Corporations have been treating employees like shit for too long, it's about time they tasted some of their own medicine.

by Anonymousreply 5December 13, 2018 8:50 PM

I wish I had done it. I was leaving a pretty good job a couple of years ago. HR insisted there be a staff party to mark my departure.

I resisted because quite frankly one of the reasons I was leaving was the shitty work environment. A couple of people I liked convinced me to have the celebration.

It turned out to be an orgy of narcissistic self love from the president and his minions. Really grotesque. I don’t speak to any of them now and I’m sure they wonder why.

I’d have been better off to stiff them.

by Anonymousreply 6December 13, 2018 8:54 PM

Spineless weasels, slinking out like cowards.

by Anonymousreply 7December 13, 2018 8:56 PM

r7 Jamie Dimon, CEO of JP Morgan Chase

by Anonymousreply 8December 13, 2018 9:00 PM

I’M pretty sure good employers aren’t being ghosted. Just the ones with shit pay and an equally shitty attitude towards their staff. Fuck ‘em.

by Anonymousreply 9December 13, 2018 9:00 PM

I've been ghosted by another job after three rounds of interviews, and it's not the first time. I'd say these employers are getting a taste of their own medicine.

by Anonymousreply 10January 31, 2019 2:05 PM

No, that has always happened. I worked in H/R in the mid to late 90s and it happens a lot. You'd be shocked at how many people never even pick up their final paycheck.

It's no big deal, in fact, I've never had anyone abandon their job, who we weren't better off without anyway.

by Anonymousreply 11January 31, 2019 2:08 PM

Sounds like a bunch of special snowflakes that are afraid of any confrontation....wonder where they learned that bs ?

by Anonymousreply 12January 31, 2019 2:09 PM

Well..that's just RUDE..

by Anonymousreply 13January 31, 2019 2:10 PM

How nice to be in a position, of wanting to work.. but, not really needing the money... and ghosting an asshole employer. So many times I wanted to do that.. just walk away, waving the finger.

by Anonymousreply 14January 31, 2019 2:13 PM

I did it twice in the 80's when I was young and having way to much gay fun to concern myself with a job. I'm hardly a millennial.

by Anonymousreply 15January 31, 2019 2:22 PM

I am only aware of one case of someone just walking off the job and into the sunset, but it is a doozy.

I was a F/A in the late 80s working for Delta and my good friend was an Eastern F/A. She was a 22 year old knockout who had been the lead Golden Girl at LSU (which was a damn big deal back in the day.) She met an ATL guy in the terminal, and agreed to have lunch with him during her short layover at the airport. Now this dude was the male equal to her in every way. He was a big stud in his late 20s.

After their lunch, they ended up in the bathroom where they had a mad passionate fuck fest. He told her she was done with flying and she was moving in with him. She did just that. She stood up her outbound flight, moved in with him, and now they have 4 children and live a very glam life in ATL. I wish I could be that impetuous and spontaneous...but I am just not that type.

by Anonymousreply 16January 31, 2019 2:24 PM

I think it's been so long since American businesses had to compete for labor, they literally don't know how. They think wages and job conditions are great and when employees finally have some leverage and treat them like this, they convince themselves it's the employees who are at fault. The narcissism and insularity of the American elite knows no bounds.

by Anonymousreply 17January 31, 2019 2:29 PM

I always thought it interesting that one can be fired on the spot yet, “they” need a 2 week notice.

by Anonymousreply 18January 31, 2019 2:33 PM

Long time ago a guy at my job took a vacation & never came back.

He got paid a couple times...they found out he had moved to another state. I don’t know if they ever got him to pay that money back.

It’s called the rat race because they treat us like rats. Fuck ‘em.

by Anonymousreply 19January 31, 2019 2:35 PM

[quote]I always thought it interesting that one can be fired on the spot yet, “they” need a 2 week notice.

Where did you get that bizarre idea R18? What country do you live in? In the US businesses can and do fire employees without notice all the time. Be rude to a client and see how fast your ass is out the door with no notice. Or get caught stealing. Or....

by Anonymousreply 20January 31, 2019 2:47 PM

R20, you completely misunderstood what R18 said.

He is saying that employers can fire without notice, but employees are supposed to give two weeks notice, even though employers are not held to such a standard themselves.

by Anonymousreply 21January 31, 2019 2:50 PM

I dropped a job like a bad date back in 2003. I just wasn't feeling it, so I asked where the Coke machine was and walked the fuck out.

by Anonymousreply 22January 31, 2019 2:52 PM

I was working at a restaurant as a chef and hated it so much that I just didn't show up one day. They didn't even bother to see what happened.

by Anonymousreply 23January 31, 2019 2:58 PM

R21 While it’s a shitty double-standard, I can see why it’s a liability to keep an employee who was fired for negligence or harassment for another two weeks, or an employee who did nothing wrong but might become vindictive and dangerous.

That said, can anyone explain how to not worry about being badmouthed by your employer if you ghost them? Don’t potential employers require a reference from your previous job?

by Anonymousreply 24January 31, 2019 3:09 PM

I'm currently looking for work and have several interviews lined up. The job I'm most interested in was a referral by a friend who has a similar position with the same company. He told me flat out what his starting salary was, so in my first interview when they asked my salary expectations, I gave them that amount as my bottom.

When I got called in for the 2nd interview, the hiring manager told me my expectations were too high and if I was willing to negotiate.

The salary expectations game is just straight up dishonest. They are hoping you'll undersell yourself so they can pay you well below everyone else, and are well aware you'll be scared they won't even invite you back for a 2nd interview if your expectations are too high. It's such a racket.

The honest thing to do is interview people, decide who you want, then just say "This is what the position pays." Then the applicant can decide if they want it. But this current way of doing things is clearly to get applicants to essentially make bids like contractors so the company can just pick the cheapest. And they deserve it when it bites them in the ass. The cheapest contractor is usually the one who cuts corners and does shitty, unsafe work.

If I take the position at the salary I know for a fact is a low ball, I will have no problem jumping ship the second someone else offers me more money.

These corporate assholes cheat you at every fucking turn, and deserve exactly what they get.

by Anonymousreply 25January 31, 2019 3:10 PM

Amen, R25. The entire interviewing process is farcical. You have to pretend that you'll work for free, suck up and lie about why you want the job (Because I have a mortgage, bitch!), lie about why you left your last job lest (Heaven forfend!!) they think that you're "badmouthing" your last employer, and so on and so on.

Fuck em all.

by Anonymousreply 26January 31, 2019 3:42 PM

Heh. This is nothing new. I had a job in the late 80s working for a local newspaper, and we had one person start in the morning, leave for lunch, and then never come back. It just means that the job sucks ass, and the employees are giving it the respect they think it deserves. Hell, I quit after 7 months, and I was an old-timer in my dept.

by Anonymousreply 27January 31, 2019 3:55 PM

Corporate America, suddenly

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28January 31, 2019 3:57 PM

It's a rat race and it sucks, Kenny. What do you want, a medal?

by Anonymousreply 29January 31, 2019 3:59 PM

I'm right on top of that, Rose!

by Anonymousreply 30January 31, 2019 4:13 PM

Sometimes one just realizes that a job is not the right fit.

Years ago I started working in a Florist shop at the end of January. Two days before Valentine's Day I went for lunch and never came back! I had been working with two women who chatted back and forth NON-STOP! Never a down minute, and it drove me bonkers. I tried to drown their drivel out, music was not allowed, so one day I reached my limit and was not even thinking that such a busy day was around the corner when I didn't come back from my lunch break.

It had reached a point in my mind that I just could not possibly go back to that place for one more minute, those clucking chicks would have driven me to the funny farm!

by Anonymousreply 31January 31, 2019 4:19 PM

‘Kkkkkkkk

by Anonymousreply 32March 10, 2021 6:33 PM

Fuck em. Companies can't even bother to follow up with interviews, so no sympathy with me. A simple copy-paste of "the position has been filled, good luck in your job search" is too much for them to handle so...I'm not sorry.

by Anonymousreply 33March 10, 2021 6:46 PM

Good. It's about time. I recently got a part time job because I was going stir-crazy at home. I regretted it from day one when several supervisors decided to critique one of the new hires, in front of me, customers and other employees. It was like being on a "Mean Girls" set. Flash forward and I hear that same supervisor bitch and complain about how "millennials" just don't care and don't show up for work. I asked her if she thought "some of it might have to do with the way people are treated here for minimum wage?". Dirty looks and now I'm on her shit list.

by Anonymousreply 34March 10, 2021 8:15 PM

Good.

Most employers will fire workers without a second thought.

by Anonymousreply 35March 10, 2021 8:17 PM

I was treated like shit in my first job after college so one lunchtime I just walked out and left a shitty treat in my desk drawer for my line manager to discover.

by Anonymousreply 36March 10, 2021 8:27 PM

Burning bridges is not smart. Always avoid it if you can, never know when it came come back to bite you.

by Anonymousreply 37March 10, 2021 8:39 PM

Fuck millenials. They have invented fuck-buddy, ghosting and blaming your elders for everything while living off them. The boomers had "keep the faith," "Brother/Sister" and Save the Earth. These little assholes have "ghosting." Well done.

by Anonymousreply 38March 10, 2021 8:47 PM

And btw, ^ ^ ghosting is for people with no courage or verbal ability. Or too lazy to write an email. Or all three.

by Anonymousreply 39March 10, 2021 8:48 PM

I walked off a job once, and I now see it as an irresponsible thing to do. But it felt so great!!

by Anonymousreply 40March 10, 2021 8:55 PM

"This is going to go on your permanent record"

by Anonymousreply 41March 10, 2021 8:59 PM

Maybe because those job examples are ridiculous to use for this supposedly great job market 🙄 a fucking janitor or coffee cashier? The other two professions require specific degrees, so obviously not just anyone can line up and get that job.

I really tire of the job market figures looking good on paper. What are a majority of these jobs? Service jobs making nothing? As others pointed out, it's probably because the job sucked and boot licking for 30-40k a year gets old. No job security but they want blind devotion. One of my relatives have bounced around and the jobs out there sound like shit.

by Anonymousreply 42March 10, 2021 8:59 PM

I've done this twice - once as a receptionist and again when I was a data analyst. Both times I had already given my two weeks and didn't want to finish it out so I sent emails from my work email to my boss saying that I wasn't coming back and then just never checked that email again. They usually try calling a few times but those are easy to ignore. Both jobs were filled with horrible bullies. I don't regret leaving the way I did.

by Anonymousreply 43March 10, 2021 9:03 PM

I'd be interested to see an age breakdown on who does this.

by Anonymousreply 44March 10, 2021 9:07 PM

Lol R38 nobody ever had a fuckbuddy or ghosted or lived with their parents before. neverrrrr

by Anonymousreply 45March 10, 2021 9:12 PM

When I was like 18 I walked off a job in a factory. We had to eat at our stations, it was hot AF, very monotonous, no socializing. It was awful. I went to lunch and didn't come back. I work in a small office now and we have had two young women just stop showing up. Said it was too boring, too much work, all that stuff. Every time my boss says he is going to get some more help I just smirk.

by Anonymousreply 46March 10, 2021 9:30 PM

I had 7 jobs in 2018. I quit six of them without notice. I'm still at the seventh one.

I've literally had 100 jobs since I graduated h.s. 40 years ago, and I've quit almost all of them without notice. Granted, most were temp jobs. But I lost count of the ones I ghosted at the first break time. Just went down to the street and kept walking.

I believe I have some kind of PTSD about being trapped. And I will not stay anywhere I don't feel comfortable- not for a single minute.

To me 'work' is day labor.

by Anonymousreply 47March 10, 2021 10:12 PM

OK boomer @r38

by Anonymousreply 48March 10, 2021 10:18 PM

Sometimes the manager deserves it

by Anonymousreply 49March 11, 2021 4:46 PM

We're the New USSR and we've adopted their old motto: "You pretend to pay us and we'll pretend to work."

It's taken 40 years for the corporate world to get workers where they want us- no benefits and labor laws rejigged to make sure nothing will change.

You don't get loyal employees when those working for you are viewed as expendable.

by Anonymousreply 50March 11, 2021 5:04 PM

Preach R50!

by Anonymousreply 51March 11, 2021 5:08 PM

This is why remote work for most positions that can be done from anywhere will only increase and become the new standard. Employers are going to have to provide more up-to-date incentives to retain/hire suitable employees. We're racing toward the time when millennials and younger will be calling all thee shots as far as terms of employment agreements go. Commercial real estate is going to suffer unless they figure out ways to re-purpose all those empty high rises cluttering city landscapes. Perhaps affordable housing would be a good idea, hmmmm?

by Anonymousreply 52March 11, 2021 5:13 PM

R52 You mean like better pay? It’s ridiculous to make someone go through several rounds of interviews for a position that pays $50k/year

by Anonymousreply 53March 11, 2021 5:25 PM

Bout time "right to work" bit the bosses in the sphincter.

by Anonymousreply 54March 11, 2021 5:32 PM

Employers don't exactly treat "workers" with love and kindness so what do they expect?

Treat people like shit you get shit back.

by Anonymousreply 55March 11, 2021 5:37 PM

[quote]This is why remote work for most positions that can be done from anywhere will only increase and become the new standard

From your lips to God's ears, but I really don't see that happening "for most positions that can be done from anywhere." There are plenty of bosses demanding regular office attendance even now as Covid rages on. Everyone doesn't live and work in the same progressive bubble.

by Anonymousreply 56March 11, 2021 5:46 PM

I was pretty new to a job in a creative services agency when one day, one of the senior production supervisors didn’t show up. By 11 am no one had heard from her but no one seemed concerned. Then someone realized that all her personal stuff was gone from her workspace. They were like oh well I guess we have to hire again. She was the second in that position to quit abruptly in less than a year. Turns out the head of that department was abusive and incompetent and was fired shortly afterward, but only after a temp reported her as toxic. I always thought it took balls to cut your losses and walk away when you’ve had enough.

I left in the middle of a shift when I was working retail in college. My friends came by while I was working to lure me away to go to the beach. It took them about a minute to convince me. I bought swim trunks, sunglasses, a towel, t-shirt and flip flops using my employee discount, then clocked out without telling anyone or calling to say I wasn’t coming back. They mailed my last check.

Looking back at both these instances, if that happened to a coworker today, I would be first and foremost concerned about their wellbeing and would at least call them.

by Anonymousreply 57March 11, 2021 6:00 PM

I ❤️R34

by Anonymousreply 58March 11, 2021 6:03 PM

I did it once. Boss was an abusive asshole probably getting ready to force me out anyway.

by Anonymousreply 59March 11, 2021 7:22 PM

by Anonymousreply 60April 10, 2021 3:55 PM

I doubt Engineers and Accounts are ghosting employers. Those are educated jobs in which ones reputation and skills matter.

Baristas and Janitors? Sure. But who cares, they are probably treated like shit anyway.

by Anonymousreply 61April 10, 2021 4:25 PM

Good

by Anonymousreply 62April 13, 2021 3:38 PM

How nice to be in a position, while young, to be able to walk off and never come back...especially when your boss is a total asshole and abusive, and the company is shit.

by Anonymousreply 63April 13, 2021 4:12 PM

Years ago I had the bitch boss from hell, she truly had some kind of personality disorder. I found another job but instead of resigning I intentionally fucked something up that I knew would get me fired, so I could get a severance. It was such a happy day when I walked out of that office, knowing I would never have to see or deal with that bitch again.

Fast forward two years later: I'm looking at the local news and the bitch boss got a DUI! They even showed her mugshot. I had a great laugh over that, it was pure karma.

by Anonymousreply 64April 13, 2021 6:03 PM

The only thing is...when you just walk out, not notifying your employer...ghosting them... then when you are looking for another job and they ask, what previous job did you work and want references from that employer....it will not be in your favor. Something to think about.

by Anonymousreply 65April 13, 2021 7:25 PM

You can have a co-worker you were friendly with provide a reference.

by Anonymousreply 66April 13, 2021 7:29 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!