Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Suicide increase

Why has suicide increased 30 percent in the last twenty years?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39December 15, 2018 1:47 AM

Republicans

by Anonymousreply 1December 13, 2018 8:11 PM

R1 Trump has created a constant feeling of futility.

by Anonymousreply 2December 13, 2018 8:13 PM

Contagion.

by Anonymousreply 3December 13, 2018 8:14 PM

Source, OP?

I find Thomas Joiner's interpersonal theory of suicide rather convincing. He argues that suicide is hard, and that not everyone can follow through with it. Two factors have to combine to produce a "successful" suicide: 1. Desire to die 2. The ability to kill oneself.

He argues that people can acquire the ability to kill themselves through a variety of painful experiences -- drug use, child abuse, eating disorders, combat, illness. These events habituate the body to pain.

He also posits thwarted belongingness -- ie, not being close to anyone -- increases one's risk of suicide. Interestingly, women with many children are much less likely to kill themselves than women with no kids or only one or two.

by Anonymousreply 4December 13, 2018 8:16 PM

Young people don't know how to handle stress and pressure anymore. They feel killing themselves is the only way out.

by Anonymousreply 5December 13, 2018 8:17 PM

Newsflash, r5: older white men are the demographic most likely to kill themselves.

And people have *always* committed suicide.

by Anonymousreply 6December 13, 2018 8:18 PM

Stagnant wages and little job security (the rise of contract employment).

by Anonymousreply 7December 13, 2018 8:19 PM

I wonder if the Lasik eye surgery that seemed to be making her go blind had anything to do with her killing herself? Probably not, since nobody has mentioned it yet.

by Anonymousreply 8December 13, 2018 8:19 PM

Passive aggression. Or rampant depression.

by Anonymousreply 9December 14, 2018 10:24 PM

White fragility

by Anonymousreply 10December 14, 2018 10:33 PM

Middle-aged people don't feel wanted.

by Anonymousreply 11December 14, 2018 10:34 PM

Economic rationalism.

by Anonymousreply 12December 14, 2018 10:35 PM

Let's see....grim predictions for the future (climate change etc) , stagnant wages, the probability of being old and sick with no insurance, the loss of the "American Dream", people in general being more (openly) viscous and hateful, depressing news being made available 24/7...

by Anonymousreply 13December 14, 2018 10:45 PM

OH DEER, met vicious!!

by Anonymousreply 14December 14, 2018 10:46 PM

MEANT vicious...

by Anonymousreply 15December 14, 2018 10:47 PM

People are more frequently admitting when a deceased person suicides, especially obits acknowledging losing fights with depression. I agree it's increasing in general as it seems to spread like a viral idea, and this is the age of viral ideas, but I don't know how to gauge its increase it as previous metrics are probably inherently flawed.

Personally, I think it's worth differentiating between the perennial teen-angst they'll miss me when I'm gone suicides, suicides from depressed adults, and the terminally ill and elderly choosing not to suffer. It'd be interesting to track how those categories have changed over time.

by Anonymousreply 16December 14, 2018 10:50 PM

R13 and R16 nailed it.

For older adults, it is just a grim outlook. No pensions, laid off at moment's notice, employers just do not want to hire older workers (not matter how illegal that may be - I'm "fairly" young - 40's, and I have seen this with my bosses. They feel older adults just won't fit in - read between the lines), they didn't save enough (which is all on them), etc.

Plus, I would bet suicides were vastly underreported in the past.

by Anonymousreply 17December 14, 2018 10:55 PM

The better question is why has the rate increased only 30%.

by Anonymousreply 18December 14, 2018 11:06 PM

Where is this 30%??

by Anonymousreply 19December 14, 2018 11:15 PM

I think the internet broadcasts suicides to a wider net- 20 years ago, I only knew of local and big celeb suicides. And people are being more honest about it.

by Anonymousreply 20December 14, 2018 11:17 PM

RIP Jessica Starr. She had a very nice and easy demeanor. Not wooden or bland like most people on TV news.

by Anonymousreply 21December 14, 2018 11:18 PM

People don't learn how to deal with their problems on their own when they're children anymore. All the over-protective helicopter parents don't allow kids to work through things. Life is full of issues we need to get through. If people don't learn coping skills starting in early childhood, they don't know how to deal with adversity in life and when something happens they may not see any options and just give up.

Also all those antidepressants that are over-prescribed.....many of them have "increased risk of suicidal thoughts" as a possible side effect. That could be a factor.

by Anonymousreply 22December 14, 2018 11:21 PM

I get it R17.....but for perspective, people had to survive much more serious issues in, let's say, the Great Depression. People figured it out. I'm sure it wasn't fun and horribly depressing and scary, but people found ways to adapt and survive.

by Anonymousreply 23December 14, 2018 11:23 PM

Since no one supplied a link, the suicide rate is has indeed increased by 30% within the last 20 years.

It tracks with the rise of the internet in society...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24December 14, 2018 11:23 PM

This story was very heartbreaking. Good looking, young kid who seemed to have everything to live for.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25December 14, 2018 11:28 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26December 14, 2018 11:31 PM

That is a good point R23, but I have to bring up again, how many were underreported?

I also wonder (not to get overly morbid here), but if it is "easier" now to commit suicide. Medications are easily available now to do it, and though I don't know this as fact, I would imagine guns weren't as accessible either (because of cost, not laws - no Walmart back then to go down to and drop $75 for a cheap rifle). I would imagine a gun was kind of a luxury item.

by Anonymousreply 27December 14, 2018 11:31 PM

And yes, one could hang oneself, but that is pretty "hardcore". I doubt many people these days choose that method.

by Anonymousreply 28December 14, 2018 11:32 PM

I believe we are exposed (via BREAKING NEWS) to much more human misery than ever before...(children starving, animals being tortured, beheadings, the environment being decimated, ignorant deplorables) and like (r24) mentioned, the Internet has helped us along. I do not have much hope for the future. The younger people are bombarded by various media CONSTANTLY and casually told to 'kill themselves" because they are ugly/fat/whatever as opposed to what I experienced, the bullies at the local school. I hated junior high and was tormented (who wasn't) constantly but I didn't have a worldwide audience for it.

by Anonymousreply 29December 14, 2018 11:34 PM

A friend of mine hanged himself a few years ago. He didn't have a gun.

by Anonymousreply 30December 14, 2018 11:37 PM

[quote]I wonder if the Lasik eye surgery that seemed to be making her go blind had anything to do with her killing herself? Probably not, since nobody has mentioned it yet.

It's being mentioned, though I don't know if in an official way. Inside Edition covered her suicide today and they mentioned her surgery and her lengthy recovery. I can't help but wonder if she got some added bad news from her doctor about her eyesight and that put her over the edge.

I've read that she hanged herself.

by Anonymousreply 31December 14, 2018 11:38 PM

Yeah R30, I'm sure it happens still. I had a childhood friend's older brother shoot himself, then my grandfather, then my brother (no, I'm not going for a pity party), so just in my experience, guns seems to be a prevalent factor (but of course I could be wrong, not like I have done a lot of research).

by Anonymousreply 32December 14, 2018 11:42 PM

R32 No, you are correct: for men, firearms are by far the most common method; and for women, firearms and poisoning are the top two methods. Hanging isn't even listed as one of the top methods.

Figure 5 at link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33December 14, 2018 11:52 PM

Thanks, Obama.

by Anonymousreply 34December 15, 2018 12:16 AM

When I was a teenager, I am now older, I thought depression and feeling not apart of anything meaningful was a normal thing. I wasn’t given any special attention because of depression. When the antidepressant commercials appeared on T.V. I knew I needed them and it helped.

by Anonymousreply 35December 15, 2018 12:44 AM

Suicide research

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36December 15, 2018 12:54 AM

R23 people back then had a sense of community and family that we no longer have, so dealing with the horrors of life is lonlier and harsher now.

by Anonymousreply 37December 15, 2018 1:40 AM

Going with R27, I'm not sure if it's easier, but there's definitely more how-to available on the internet. You can learn to off yourself in a myriad of ways that the average suicidal person might not have ever come up with in the past. And the right-to-die movement's work would, however inadvertent, suggest the idea. That's not mentioning organizations that help people find their final frontier.

by Anonymousreply 38December 15, 2018 1:40 AM

On Inside Edition they said quite a few people had committed suicide after have Lasix, makes me scared to get it

by Anonymousreply 39December 15, 2018 1:47 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!