Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Do most states treat gay marriage and str8 marriage equally in terms of name change policy?

I've heard a woman who wants to keep her maiden name after marriage has to fill out additional paper work, otherwise the default assumed by the state is that she is taking her husband's name. But for same-sex couples they assume both parties will keep their maiden names. How is it in your state?

by Anonymousreply 5December 14, 2018 12:35 PM

In California, you can change your name to anything you want (not necessarily that of your spouse) on a marriage certificate. I was surprised. When I asked the registrar if many gay couples changed one or both of their names, he said it was infrequent with hyphenated last names being the most common.

by Anonymousreply 1December 13, 2018 8:10 PM

R1 Airlines HATE hyphenated names ( well not the airline , but their computer systems)

"...sorry, sir, we don't seem to have your booking in here..."

by Anonymousreply 2December 13, 2018 8:17 PM

In most states there's no additional paperwork. As r1 notes, you can put whatever name you want on a marriage license. Of course, you'd then have to conform your name on your driving license, passport, SSN, etc.

by Anonymousreply 3December 13, 2018 10:03 PM

That is obvious discrimination against (heterosexual) women. Needs to be changed yesterday.

by Anonymousreply 4December 14, 2018 6:17 AM

huh?

by Anonymousreply 5December 14, 2018 12:35 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!