Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Travel guide books

Frommers, Fodor's, Lonely Planet. Do you use them?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20December 14, 2018 2:13 AM

I like Time Out for cities.

by Anonymousreply 1December 13, 2018 5:52 PM

DK Eyewitness books are good. I usually get a map,too and have read a lot on the Internet and other books - history, novels etc.

by Anonymousreply 2December 13, 2018 5:57 PM

Baedeker

by Anonymousreply 3December 13, 2018 5:57 PM

Another vote for Time Out

by Anonymousreply 4December 13, 2018 5:59 PM

Sure, but now you can get everything online, so less need for actual books.

by Anonymousreply 5December 13, 2018 6:01 PM

Frommers and Fodor's are for well behaved straight white people who fear anything off the beaten path.

by Anonymousreply 6December 13, 2018 6:03 PM

Lonely Planet is good if you're a college kid/backpacker/hippie on a shoestring. I used it a lot in my 20s. I revisited one a few years back and realized that I had aged out of most of their recommendations.

by Anonymousreply 7December 13, 2018 6:04 PM

Rough Guides

by Anonymousreply 8December 13, 2018 6:08 PM

Spartacus

by Anonymousreply 9December 13, 2018 6:11 PM

Trip Advisor has taken their place for me.

by Anonymousreply 10December 13, 2018 6:14 PM

[qoute] Spartacus

No I use Spartacus!

by Anonymousreply 11December 13, 2018 6:16 PM

[quote] Spartacus

No I use Spartacus!

by Anonymousreply 12December 13, 2018 6:17 PM

As a passionate traveler, I've found Lonely Planet pretty good for "exotic"-type destinations, but for "civilized" destinations I like the Rough Guides better (are they still called "Real Guides" in the US?).

For hip cities I love the Time Out guidebooks, but haven't they discontinued those?

(I also use guidebooks in other languages if I can read them -- sometimes e.g. German or French guidebooks are better for certain destinations.)

by Anonymousreply 13December 13, 2018 6:20 PM

LonelyPlanet also is very formulaic after awhile, leading me often to wonder if the author had actually visited a certain town. All over Latin America, they annoyingly plug 3 or 4 different churches and cathedrals and the main plaza as "Sights to see." I wonder if the owners are religious?

by Anonymousreply 14December 13, 2018 6:24 PM

[quote] I like the Rough Guides better (are they still called "Real Guides" in the US?).

No. They’re called Rough Guides here too.

by Anonymousreply 15December 13, 2018 6:26 PM

Yes, back in the day...my first one was Europe on $10.00 a Day.

by Anonymousreply 16December 13, 2018 6:28 PM

R13 - I used to like the French guidebook series Routard.

by Anonymousreply 17December 13, 2018 6:32 PM

Moon is also very hippie-ish.

by Anonymousreply 18December 13, 2018 6:34 PM

Sadly, obsolete.

by Anonymousreply 19December 14, 2018 12:37 AM

DK Eyewitness. They have walking maps (with all the important places) of little towns and areas of cities. Very useful when doing day trips outside a major city. Would rip out that section and just carry those pages for the day. Some had maps of the interiors of some museums and castles- was very useful when some palace wanted to charge for the map-I just used the one from the book.

It’s also fun to count all the DK books you see each day-we used to compete to see who saw the most (and the most different languages).

by Anonymousreply 20December 14, 2018 2:13 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!