Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Martina Butina pleads guilty to acting as a Russian agent in the US

(Bloomberg) -- Maria Butina pleaded guilty to acting as an undeclared Russian agent in the U.S. and agreed to cooperate with prosecutors.

Butina operated as a Kremlin agent as she befriended National Rifle Association leaders and influential conservatives, she admitted Thursday in federal court in Washington.

Butina, 30, was arrested in July. While in the U.S. starting in 2015, she was actually working to advance Russia’s interests, reporting regularly to a senior Russian official, according to her guilty plea.

She faces a maximum of five years in prison, but she won’t be sentenced immediately. Her cooperation could lead to a reduced sentence.

The NRA didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment. The Russian Foreign Ministry said earlier Thursday that any decision Butina took to help free her from detention in the U.S. would be supported by Russia.

The charges were filed by the Justice Department’s national security unit and U.S. prosecutors in Washington, rather than by Special Counsel Robert Mueller, who is investigating Russian influence in the election.

As part of the plea agreement, Butina may provide information about Paul Erickson, her onetime boyfriend. Erickson matches the description of a man referred to as “U.S. Person 1” in Butina’s charging documents. Erickson connected her with influential Republicans and wrote in a message that he had been involved “in securing a VERY private line of communication between the Kremlin” and key officials of the NRA, prosecutors said.

Erickson has visited Butina in jail several times this year, according to her attorney, Robert Driscoll. Bill Hurd, Erickson’s lawyer, said his client is “a good American” who “has never done anything to hurt our country and never would.”

Her admission added to the drumbeat of developments in investigations related to the 2016 presidential election, with indications that prosecutors are receiving information from several people close to President Donald Trump.

This week, Trump’s longtime fixer was sentenced to three years in prison and said he’d assist prosecutors, and the president’s former national security adviser acknowledged he’d sat for 19 interviews with prosecutors and provided thousands of pages of documents. A tabloid publisher with ties to Trump is cooperating, too, after admitting to federal investigators in New York that its CEO talked to people on Trump’s nascent campaign about buying and burying damaging stories that could damage the candidate.

Russia says its spy agencies had no knowledge of Butina or her activities.

“When I heard something was going on around her, for a start I asked the heads of our secret services, ‘Who is she?’ Nobody knows anything about her,” President Vladimir Putin said in a televised appearance in Moscow on Tuesday, the day after Butina said in a filing she wanted to change her plea.

Butina traveled to the U.S. in 2015 and entered the U.S. on a student visa in 2016 to study at American University in Washington. She reported to Alexander Torshin, the former deputy chairman of Russia’s central bank, court documents show.

Torshin accompanied Butina to a variety of conservative political events. In 2015 and 2016, the pair attended at least one NRA conference and a National Prayer Breakfast, the filings say. At one conference, they met with Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker. Butina also attended Walker’s announcement that he was running for president.

At a town-hall-style event in Las Vegas in 2015, Butina asked candidate Trump whether he would improve the U.S. relationship with Russia. Trump said he would.

Butina, who’d started an NRA-like group in Russia called the Right to Bear Arms, was already a fixture in the American gun-rights community. NRA members traveled to Russia in 2013 to attend an event she organized. Among the attendees were Torshin and David Keene, then president of the NRA.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44December 15, 2018 1:31 AM

The bell tolls for thee, Donald DUMP.

They're closing in on you and your comrades.

by Anonymousreply 1December 13, 2018 4:32 PM

Is DUMP starting to panic yet?

No collusion! No collusion! Nothing to see here.

by Anonymousreply 2December 13, 2018 4:34 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3December 13, 2018 4:34 PM

Do they serve Polonium tea in the slammer??

by Anonymousreply 4December 13, 2018 4:35 PM

You know it, R4.

Putin's gonna get to her.

by Anonymousreply 5December 13, 2018 4:36 PM

I've noticed the Sanders supporters who spent years saying that Democrats were just "red baiting" and engaging in "McCarthyism" and "blaming fake Russians for what Hillary is responsible for" have been EXTREMELY quiet for a few weeks now. Taibbi and Greenwald just sit around talking about other things and pretend like this isn't happening.

by Anonymousreply 6December 13, 2018 4:38 PM

Putin must've discussed this with trump. How and through whom now? Does trump still use his personal unsecured iPhone? The calls made on it must be amazing.

by Anonymousreply 7December 13, 2018 4:43 PM

Gurl, Glenn Greenwald is too busy shopping for black wigs for him and his hubby and dogs since Bolsonaro got elected in Brazil.

by Anonymousreply 8December 13, 2018 4:43 PM

This actually interests me more than the Mueller/Trump investigation. If the NRA is exposed for the corrupt and possibly treasonous organization it is, we might have the first chance at meaningful gun reform in my lifetime. The fact that it looks like the Republican Party is involved up to its ears is just icing on the cake.

by Anonymousreply 9December 13, 2018 4:45 PM

At first I read this as "Dina Martina pleads guilty ..."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10December 13, 2018 4:47 PM

How does this implicate Trump if the entire Republican party was in on it?

by Anonymousreply 11December 13, 2018 5:07 PM

R11, Trump IS the Republican party now.

The Republican Party, evidenced over the last few days as these revelations have come, IS Trump. They are supporting Trump, they are sticking by Trump, they are the Cult of Trump.

If Mueller shoots for Trump and takes out the GOP, or if he follows the corruption through the GOP/NRA/AMI/Fox and takes out Trump, then who cares?

I am A-OK if any criminals in the Democratic party are taken out, too.

by Anonymousreply 12December 13, 2018 5:15 PM

There was a report the NRA was going. Role. How is that possible? There must be another way theyll arm the people waiting to revolt if Tiny is indicted or impeached.

by Anonymousreply 13December 13, 2018 5:20 PM

Going broke I meant.

by Anonymousreply 14December 13, 2018 5:21 PM

I'm thinking they're going broke because they're no longer getting money from Russia. Just a theory but one I feel somewhat confident about.

by Anonymousreply 15December 13, 2018 5:39 PM

Yeah, I'm good with the NRA, Fux noise and the RNC all going tits up.

What a merry Xmas that would be!

Yes, r14, there are several stories floating around on other threads about the NRA bleeding cash. Their stupid TV station has no viewers and they have had to get rid of people and the membership has dropped off.

They have lost something like $50 million this year.

Most of that money probably came in from Russia and with their bag girl in the slammer, there is no longer a go between to funnel the cash.

Fuck them. I hope they lose $500 million and sink to the bottom of the sea.

by Anonymousreply 16December 13, 2018 5:40 PM

If I recall from the other threads, they spent $50 million on lobbying in 2016, then lost exactly $50 million in 2017, which seemed suspicious.

by Anonymousreply 17December 13, 2018 5:43 PM

Oh yes Dana Rohrbacker's ladyfriend...funny WSJ said yesterday he is moving to Maine and hinting he will start Wall Street firm

Trumpflakes are rolling over so fast for Mueller pleas,no wonder Donnie is losing his shyyt on social media.I guess they all heard the warning from the new head of the Senate Intelligence Committee. Remember he told them take Mueller deals or face worse offers come Jan 3rd when Democrats get controll of the senate.

by Anonymousreply 18December 13, 2018 5:57 PM

I don’t get what she actually accomplished, if anything. Can someone explain it?

by Anonymousreply 19December 13, 2018 6:10 PM

I personally hope they can trace some of this shit back to Joni Ernst.......cunt

by Anonymousreply 20December 13, 2018 6:15 PM

If there was any foreign interference that occurred before Trump became a candidate, then it's highly likely that Trump will claim having any knowledge of collusion. As far as his relationship with Putin goes, Trump has already met with world leaders whose crimes are already known and who are just as bad if not worse such as Kim Jon Un, Xi Jinping, and Mohammed bin Salam. If you ask the average Republican, they will just say he is just putting American interests first.

by Anonymousreply 21December 13, 2018 7:08 PM

[quote] then it's highly likely that Trump will claim having no knowledge of collusion

by Anonymousreply 22December 13, 2018 7:08 PM

I doubt if Trump knew about the NRA/Russia connection, or if he did it would have been in very broad strokes ("The NRA are our friends, Don"). I mean, why would anyone in their right mind try to explain something like that to him? It would be like trying to teach your dog algebra.

by Anonymousreply 23December 13, 2018 7:12 PM

I would love to see the NRA taken down.

We always knew that they hated America.

by Anonymousreply 24December 13, 2018 7:40 PM

Nothing to see here. All is well. Buy your families lots of guns for Christmas! Or Obama or Hillary or David Hogg will kill you!

Also, buy beets!

by Anonymousreply 25December 13, 2018 8:01 PM

In one of the predictions thread, there were links from psychics who said announcement in the Muellar investigation would start happening one right after the other. Maybe they just got the timing wrong.

by Anonymousreply 26December 13, 2018 8:08 PM

She is a bitch, a whore and an ugly cunt.

by Anonymousreply 27December 13, 2018 8:44 PM

Why is the NRA broke? Don't they have gun manufacturers funding them, plus membership fees

by Anonymousreply 28December 13, 2018 10:27 PM

Look at the GOP conservatives running in to deny any connection.

She was/is Paul Ericksons's girlfriend. Erickson is a GOP lawyer and consultant.Yes he will plead guilty to establishing a "back channel "...assisted by his girlfriend with Alexander Yorshin (russian spy). That "back channel"goes all the way to the Kremlin.... What was it used for?Information and kind of recruiting for Spy's.The Kremlin denies this and so do GOP wingnuts.

But Mueller says the spy (her)admitted she was working for Russia, used her influence to get NRA information which was shared with Russia.I know you gun nuts don't care,but that NRA database held alot of personal goodies like ss#'s,job information, and most importantly to her....the keys to manipulate voters .....which she admits to doing.Since late 2015.The connect to Trump is Trump started talking to the GOP about how to become President around the same time she shows up.....as a volunteer, then girlfriend to Erickson...who fell right in line.

Her guilty plea should disgust us all.Rohrbacker needs to get charges too...since he willing helped her make contacts in government.

Saying there is no connect,is like saying Pence didn't suggest Paul Manafort to Donald Trump.

by Anonymousreply 29December 13, 2018 10:56 PM

Oh yeah peep the pics from Freedomfest 2015

She is pictured with Erickson and David Keene And yup....Donald Trump who made and unannounced visit....DL Conservat-ho's, get the connect now????Laughs

by Anonymousreply 30December 13, 2018 10:59 PM

Will the NRA sponsor another major American mass shooting this week to deflect?

by Anonymousreply 31December 13, 2018 11:20 PM

[R31]

They do need something to deflect this attention and keep their members paying....smh

by Anonymousreply 32December 13, 2018 11:42 PM

Why isn't the NRA declared a terrorist organization?

It should be.

by Anonymousreply 33December 13, 2018 11:56 PM

[quote]It would be like trying to teach your dog algebra.

It's true, but good christ I can't believe this is where we are as a nation.

by Anonymousreply 34December 14, 2018 12:47 PM

it has definitely changed in the past two years. People are fucking rude, kids run and scream everywhere, there's too much noise and anger. Then there's the added possible bonus of being filmed on some asshole's camera phone. I haven't left my house in two days and my coworkers were confused when I mentioned it. They don't know what they're missing.

by Anonymousreply 35December 14, 2018 12:55 PM

^ Meant for the I Hate Leaving the House thread

by Anonymousreply 36December 14, 2018 12:59 PM

Side note: So it’s been confirmed that she’s female?

by Anonymousreply 37December 14, 2018 1:23 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38December 14, 2018 1:25 PM

The media are portraying her as some irresistible sex pot. She’s potato faced.

I don’t get it. Must be the accent and blow jobs.

by Anonymousreply 39December 14, 2018 2:00 PM

I believe the NRA will take a step back, stay silent for a little bit (hoping this blows over), rebrand itself and then make a comeback.

The gun and military industry has still an invested interest to maintain the hostile enviroment in the US that makes people feel unsafe in need of the latest weapon technology to defend themselves. But I bet they are PISSED that their associates at the NRA got greedy and whored themselves out to other interest groups (Russia) and fucked up the gun and military industry's agenda.

by Anonymousreply 40December 14, 2018 2:01 PM

Sorry, ... to maintain the hostile enviroment in the US that makes people feel unsafe AND in need of the latest weapon technology ...

by Anonymousreply 41December 14, 2018 2:03 PM

I think you might have posted to the wrong thread, R35.

by Anonymousreply 42December 14, 2018 3:20 PM

[R39]

Sexpot according to Frau standards. ..they are all potato shaped and dowdy with matted hair.

by Anonymousreply 43December 14, 2018 7:49 PM

Erickson is no Adonis himself.

Butina is young, thin and pretends to like guns. Of course every old white man in the NRA and GOP is going to want in her pants.

I just can't believe how stupid and oblivious these fools are.

by Anonymousreply 44December 15, 2018 1:31 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!