Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Miss USA accused of mocking Asian contestants' English: 'Miss Universe should not be an ambassador of bullying'

A Miss Universe contestant is being called out for bullying after making fun of a fellow contestant’s language skills. The competition is underway in Thailand.

In a now-expired Instagram Live video, Miss USA Sarah Rose Summers can be heard joking to Miss Australia and Miss Colombia about how Miss Vietnam speaks.

“What do you think about Miss Vietnam?” she asks her friends, before laughing, “… and she pretends to know so much English, and you ask her a question after having a whole conversation with her and she … smiles and nods."

Popular Instagram page Diet Prada posted the footage with another two videos of Miss USA, this time speaking about Miss Cambodia.

In the first she showers her fellow contestant with praise while thanking her own Cambodian fans for their support.

But in the second, she’s seen pitying Miss Cambodia to the same two friends.

“Miss Cambodia is here and doesn’t speak any English, and not a single other person speaks her language,” she says, adding, “Poor Cambodia.”

The footage has gone viral on social media, with thousands condemning the behavior.

“The future Miss Universe should not be an ambassador of bullying,” read one comment.

“This is just a shameful display of meanness poorly masked as empathy,” another commenter wrote. “Clearly none of these women embody what being Miss Universe is all about … and in this day and age?”

“Shame on you ladies! Beautiful outside but not inside!!” wrote another critic.

Yet some are backing the Nebraska-born pageant queen, whose Instagram bio features the hashtag #ifyoudonthaveanythingnicetosaydontsayanythingatall.

“Sad to think that your sorrow towards Cambodia and thoughtfulness towards Vietnam is being perceived in the wrong manner … to add that these specific individuals have only seen snippets of the live video,” wrote one supporter on Instagram. “Don’t listen to ’em. A lot of people know you weren’t making fun of those two women, in fact you were telling everyone the wittiness and uniqueness that comes with competing with so many different women from around the world. People need to understand that you were telling everyone how isolating it is and that you felt sad for Cambodia … and that you were sharing a funny and happy experience with Vietnam. Love you!”

Others accused her critics of being jealous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204December 17, 2018 9:46 PM

Will little Timmy Tebow be at the pageant with his "girlfriend," the reigning Miss Universe?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1December 13, 2018 2:59 PM

She should not only be stripped of her crown, she should also have her ovaries removed!

by Anonymousreply 2December 13, 2018 3:01 PM

She just looks like any other hardened blonde bimbo. Miss Australia looks fresh as a daisy next to that phony ass cunt.

by Anonymousreply 3December 13, 2018 3:02 PM

Ivanka-lite is just spouting the party line.

by Anonymousreply 4December 13, 2018 3:05 PM

Has Rosie O'Donnell commented yet?

by Anonymousreply 5December 13, 2018 3:10 PM

Americans can be so dumb sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 6December 13, 2018 3:12 PM

She's clueless and looks horrible. Also, just because Miss Vietnam nods doesn't mean she has a poor command of English. It's sometimes difficult to understand native speakers when they are chatting casually and using slang, especially in noisy environments or in situations where multiple people are speaking. I have experienced that myself with other languages.

by Anonymousreply 7December 13, 2018 3:13 PM

FarmBot is cute and kind of ditzy. Dumb of her to say but not malicious. If you watch the pageant you’d see her personality.

Guess Olivia Jordan (3rd place in 2015) is the only FarmBot in the past decade that can handle her own and keep her mouth shut. Her only controversy was post-MU because she supported the gays.

by Anonymousreply 8December 13, 2018 3:14 PM

I’m sure Miss Vietnam speaks more English than Miss USA speaks Vietnamese

by Anonymousreply 9December 13, 2018 3:15 PM

Is it a crime to some people if English isn’t a first language? She should be disqualified from the competition.

by Anonymousreply 10December 13, 2018 3:16 PM

The pageant is this Sunday night, December 16 on FOX.

We'll see if she makes the cut, after this little incident.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11December 13, 2018 3:24 PM

More bitchiness:

Miss Philippines is being called FAT, although Miss Canada stepped up to her defense.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12December 13, 2018 3:27 PM

Who’s the alleged transgender contestant?

by Anonymousreply 13December 13, 2018 3:28 PM

Miss USA wasn't going to win anyway. The betting is that Miss Spain will become the first transgender Miss Universe.

by Anonymousreply 14December 13, 2018 3:28 PM

The first thought in my mind after reading this story was...

I just KNOW that she voted for Trump.

by Anonymousreply 15December 13, 2018 3:29 PM

R13, Angela Ponce of Spain.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16December 13, 2018 3:33 PM

Miss Spain, R13.

I wonder what everyone is saying about HER, behind her back?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17December 13, 2018 3:35 PM

Spain is quite pretty...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18December 13, 2018 3:36 PM

Angela Ponce, before and after.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19December 13, 2018 3:37 PM

Spain often looks quite good in many photos. Sometimes, like a young Sofía Vergara.

However, in other photos, a slight drag queen element creeps in and indicates that Spain probably looks somewhat unnatural in real life.

So Spain would look good on camera winning but the many required public appearances after the win might be an issue.

by Anonymousreply 20December 13, 2018 3:42 PM

Yes, pretty in a drag queen sort of way. Transgender women, like drag queens, are seldom natural beauties. It takes lots of cosmetics and illusions to get that look.

by Anonymousreply 21December 13, 2018 3:47 PM

Here is a video of Miss Spain's appearance on a talk show looking quite different than the "soft" looking image at R18.

In this type of setting, Miss Spain is not only not passable as a woman but I don't think is even good-looking. There is no way a woman would win Miss Spain looking like Ponce. The facial plastic surgery is very noticeable to the point of being distracting. Seeing this video, it is really not believable that Miss Spain was as attractive as the other contenders in the contest for the Spanish title. Ponce's win must have been for publicity or political reasons.

If Ponce won, there would be no way to hide that Ponce doesn't look like the photo at R18.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22December 13, 2018 4:01 PM

That he looks like a man, of course, R17.

What a mockery.

All the subpar males are really having a field day now that they get to compete against women.

by Anonymousreply 23December 13, 2018 4:03 PM

Agree r21. There’s a hint of man in the face. Doesn’t look like a woman all the way.

by Anonymousreply 24December 13, 2018 4:07 PM

She reeks of deplorable cunt. NEXT.

by Anonymousreply 25December 13, 2018 4:09 PM

It’s unfair to real women. To each his own, but the line has to be drawn somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 26December 13, 2018 4:09 PM

There is more than a hint in that video of him speaking R24.

by Anonymousreply 27December 13, 2018 4:10 PM

[quote] Transgender women, like drag queens, are seldom natural beauties. It takes lots of cosmetics and illusions to get that look.

To be fair, you could say the same thing about many natural-born females.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28December 13, 2018 4:11 PM

MissU needs controversy to remain relevant in the US. In Asia and S/C America it’s still a very big deal. In Europe not so much.

by Anonymousreply 29December 13, 2018 4:16 PM

They’re not great looking r28, but I can see that they are real women. Don’t have to do a double take.

by Anonymousreply 30December 13, 2018 4:17 PM

Do you see those women trying to win beauty contests though, R28?

by Anonymousreply 31December 13, 2018 4:17 PM

If you saw the clip, it’s not only what she said but how she said it: kind of holding court and throwing shade left and right. What a little bitch.

by Anonymousreply 32December 13, 2018 4:23 PM

Miss USA is foolish; the Asian countries always fare well in these contests.

by Anonymousreply 33December 13, 2018 4:29 PM

Miss Spain ain't winning shit. An Asian will win this year. Philippines is a real favorite and those guys take their pageants SERIOUSLY.

by Anonymousreply 34December 13, 2018 4:30 PM

Philippines is a fat cow.

by Anonymousreply 35December 13, 2018 4:33 PM

Here is former Bond girl Caroline "Tula" Cossey - the only male to female transgender who actually looked like a female. She was quite gorgeous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36December 13, 2018 4:36 PM

"Tula" in her prime.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37December 13, 2018 4:37 PM

All of the "pageant watchers" and pageant websites seem to have Miss Puerto Rico as the front runner.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38December 13, 2018 4:38 PM

R36/R37 please provide some video of Tula in a more casual setting. I thought R18/R19 was passable until I saw evidence of the opposite at R22.

by Anonymousreply 39December 13, 2018 4:40 PM

That tiara in R38 is hilarious, but dang if that beauty underneath it manages to just carry it off. She's stunning and that smile is mesmerizing. If she has a personality to match, Ms. PR is worthy of being a front runner.

by Anonymousreply 40December 13, 2018 4:47 PM

I lived in Nebraska for three years--trust me, no one born there has any right to throw shade on the language skills of anyone else.

by Anonymousreply 41December 13, 2018 4:51 PM

She needs to be disqualified. You know, Miss Universe and all.

by Anonymousreply 42December 13, 2018 4:54 PM

Miss USA and Miss Spain.

by Anonymousreply 43December 13, 2018 4:55 PM

Funny, in my country "Tula" means penis

by Anonymousreply 44December 13, 2018 4:59 PM

I remember thinking she was gong to be a handful when she won Miss USA. She was a bit irreverent, which was refreshing, but also a bit bratty -- and short. First time anyone from Nebraska won and now we know why.

by Anonymousreply 45December 13, 2018 5:11 PM

Some countries should not be allowed to compete in miss world and universe. Like Miss MAGA, Miss Polonium, Miss Rogue.

by Anonymousreply 46December 13, 2018 5:15 PM

In the OP's picture, Miss USA looks like a typical American hard and angular fake blonde, while Miss Oz looks cute and charming!

by Anonymousreply 47December 13, 2018 5:17 PM

Is that an Adam's Apple in r22?

by Anonymousreply 48December 13, 2018 5:20 PM

R36/R37, Tula always looked HARD. Being wall-eyed didn’t help either.

It’s the usual case of a soft-looking twink wanting to become a graceful soft princess, but instead turning into a mannish womyn.

Ironically, he was softer-looking as a guy. Oh well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49December 13, 2018 7:18 PM

Miss USA for the win!

She's actually quite gorgeous. I have a feeling she'll make it to at least the final five.

Asians love blonde white people, and the pageant is being held in Thailand, so they'll love her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50December 14, 2018 12:21 AM

Glad you could join us, Miss U.S.A...or her family.

by Anonymousreply 51December 14, 2018 12:45 AM

She may be lovely, but she's both an idiot and a fool for being caught on film being so catty. Looks fade. Character counts. I'm sure she'll find some rich asshole to soothe her until she ages out.

by Anonymousreply 52December 14, 2018 12:51 AM

Thats what happens when you send these flyover pageant queens

by Anonymousreply 53December 14, 2018 1:12 AM

Miss Cambodia is GORGEOUS!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54December 14, 2018 4:22 AM

Primera mujer transexual en Miss Universe, Ángela Ponce de España.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55December 14, 2018 4:31 AM

Miss USA is even mean when she's apologizing to Miss Cambodia starting at 1:07. The sound is not very clear but from what I can hear she says "Are you hurting? Are we even?" but in a very terse and badgering tone. Like accept mah apologeh betch!!! or else. And talking to her like she's a child, ugh

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56December 14, 2018 4:47 AM

Awful woman, but karma is a bitch. Or a in this case, a bigger bitch

by Anonymousreply 57December 14, 2018 5:01 AM

Miss Spain has the "look," but she still sounds masculine at R55.

Nevertheless, Thailand is the perfect place for the first transgender person to compete at Miss Universe. If any country wouldn't have a problem with a trans contestant, it's Thailand.

by Anonymousreply 58December 14, 2018 9:32 AM

Miss USA is being unfair. English is a difficult language.

by Anonymousreply 59December 14, 2018 9:52 AM

Miss USA is an ugly American. Speaks only English and laughs at those who, while they speak anywhere from two to seven languages, have some trouble understanding fast drawled-out, slang-ridden American English.

by Anonymousreply 60December 14, 2018 10:41 AM

[quote]If she has a personality to match, Ms. PR is worthy of being a front runner.

She does; her personality, charm and charisma are second only to her now famous smile. She has a very warm genuine disposition towards each and every person who wants her attention, and everyone she’s met has fallen in love with her. There are tons of clips of her interacting with fans, pageant coordinators, prime ministers, and she wins everyone over. She’s sweet and smart.

And disciplined. List 20 pounds from the moment she joined her local pageant until she won it, and whipped herself into a great killer shape.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61December 14, 2018 10:50 AM

Miss PR in her local preliminaries

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62December 14, 2018 10:52 AM

Miss PR in Thailand at a special event

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63December 14, 2018 10:55 AM

I’m also a fan of her dentist

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64December 14, 2018 10:56 AM

[quote]There’s a hint of man in the face.

Only a hint? Not with that brow ridge and Adam’s apple.

by Anonymousreply 65December 14, 2018 11:22 AM

Both Miss PR and Miss Cambodia are gorgeous. USA is attractive but bland and boring in the looks dept. (putting her cuntery aside).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66December 14, 2018 11:45 AM

Mr. Spain is very beautiful for a dude.

by Anonymousreply 67December 14, 2018 12:29 PM

R66, oh great....she's a fake blonde to boot. Phony person with a sneering smile.

I'm glad this came out. The US needs to get a good ass kicking, everywhere, for this type of bullshit around POC. Beauty contests are pretty stupid as it is, so how hard would it be to just be kind and go about your business? Nope, she has to pretend empathy around the language skills of people who, as a poster pointed out above, more than likely speak at least 2 or more languages.

Fox job. I called it first.

by Anonymousreply 68December 14, 2018 2:13 PM

[quote] Beauty contests are pretty stupid as it is, so how hard would it be to just be kind and go about your business?

Beauty pageant contestants are usually the height of cuntery.

Very superficial, very mean, and very catty. These women are VERY compeitive, and they will sometimes stoop to crazy levels to beat the competition.

It's sort of like the girly-girl version of sports, and they can be just as cut-throat with each other, as male athletes.

by Anonymousreply 69December 14, 2018 3:15 PM

I think that Spain will make the semi-finals, just for the publicity factor.

by Anonymousreply 70December 14, 2018 3:15 PM

Forget the language controversy - Miss USA was a porker MESS in her evening gown! Good god!

by Anonymousreply 71December 14, 2018 3:20 PM

R58, at first, I thought Miss Spain had "the look", too. I was basing my opinions on photos of Miss Spain that appeared in the media and that were similar to the ones at R18 and R19.

But then I watched the video at R22 and it was clear that those photos are edited and that Miss Spain doesn't look like that at all in real life.

In reality, Miss Spain should never have won that title. A woman who looked like Miss Spain at R22 would never win a beauty contest.

I think this is the case with many images of trans women online. They are passable as women only when they have control over how photos and videos are edited and shot.

by Anonymousreply 72December 14, 2018 3:30 PM

Miss Spain didn’t disappoint in wearing a high neck evening gown equipped with a chunky choker. That’s a man, baby.

by Anonymousreply 73December 14, 2018 4:45 PM

R73, yes, notice you don't see the Adam's apple at R18 (covered) or R19 (edited out) but you can see it at R22 along with a face appears "hard" instead of "soft" like in the edited photos.

by Anonymousreply 74December 14, 2018 4:49 PM

[quote]Ironically, he was softer-looking as a guy. Oh well.

Tula before transition. She was actually born with XXXY chromosomes, a variant on a form of intersex called Klinefelter syndrome.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75December 14, 2018 4:54 PM

Spain's first runner-up was much better looking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76December 14, 2018 9:22 PM

You can watch the entire preliminary competition here.

I'm already choosing my top 10.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77December 14, 2018 9:24 PM

Watching the prelims at R77, I think that the following 18 have a chance of making the cut (just based on their intros):

Belgium, Brazil, Chile, Curacao, Ecuador, India, Jamaica, Japan, Panama, Philippines, Puerto Rico, Russia, South Africa, Spain, Switzerland, USA, Venezuela, and Vietnam.

I only chose Spain because you just know that Spain will make it because of the publicity. Puerto Rico wasn't as telegenic, as she is photogenic.

The ones who really stood out to me were Philippines, India, USA, and Vietnam. I think that one of them will win.

by Anonymousreply 78December 14, 2018 9:38 PM

Ecuador is gorgeous. She could be the winner.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79December 14, 2018 9:51 PM

Miss Hungary is stunning.

If she speaks well, Hungary could have their first Miss Universe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80December 14, 2018 9:57 PM

Puerto Rico is gorgeous, but she looks like a generic Latina beauty. There's nothing distinctive about her looks.

by Anonymousreply 81December 14, 2018 9:58 PM

I can't believe that Miss New Zealand is 28 years old.

Russia and Hungary are both 18. TEN years younger!

by Anonymousreply 82December 14, 2018 10:10 PM

I know many might hate this, but USA looked fabulous in the preliminary competition.

This girl is in, for sure.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83December 14, 2018 10:20 PM

She's a bitch, but she's gorgeous...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84December 14, 2018 10:21 PM

The eventual winner is usually not necessarily the most beautiful or most stunning contestant. It's that X-factor i guess. Usually one who is pretty enough but more importantly can be a good interviewee.

by Anonymousreply 85December 14, 2018 11:12 PM

[quote] Has Rosie O'Donnell commented yet?

Ching-chong! Ching-chong! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Always funny!

by Anonymousreply 86December 14, 2018 11:14 PM

It was a shitty thing to do, but this whole story made me laugh. I can't believe the seriousness with which some people still treat pageants.

by Anonymousreply 87December 14, 2018 11:18 PM

Like it or not, in virtually any context, the utterance "ching-chong, ching-chong" is very funny.

by Anonymousreply 88December 14, 2018 11:23 PM

Miss USA isn't going to win. She ruined her chances. Besides, her look isn't "in".

by Anonymousreply 89December 14, 2018 11:25 PM

He look like a man

by Anonymousreply 90December 14, 2018 11:41 PM

I’m hoping for Miss Congeniality!!

by Anonymousreply 91December 14, 2018 11:43 PM

So, do anyone but gay men watch beauty pageants nowadays?

by Anonymousreply 92December 14, 2018 11:43 PM

Treechada Petcharat - I think she's the best looking transgender. She makes real women look butch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93December 14, 2018 11:58 PM

R93 it's impossible to tell from staged photos and videos. Miss Spain looks great too in many photos and some video. But not when seen in a casual, uncontrolled setting like at R22.

Plus, plus you can't get more "butch" than a woman with a penis.

by Anonymousreply 94December 15, 2018 12:03 AM

R94, you be the judge.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95December 15, 2018 12:08 AM

R94, no, not in that type of video. That video is heavily edited.

I know trans Asian women often have the best chance at passing due to their generally smaller stature and relatively delicate features but I can't tell from that video if they actually pass or not.

by Anonymousreply 96December 15, 2018 12:19 AM

^R95

by Anonymousreply 97December 15, 2018 12:19 AM

Treechada Petcharat - before and after.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98December 15, 2018 12:22 AM

Miss USA looks like your typical bland blonde Fox News reporter. There is nothing exceptional about her looks-wise. She leaves me triggered.

by Anonymousreply 99December 15, 2018 12:25 AM

Why would anyone complain. This bitch perfectly represents the people of the USA. We're shit people, asshole is our national personality type.

by Anonymousreply 100December 15, 2018 12:26 AM

Yeah, there's different skin tones and hair colors and eye colors and slightly different features, but in a larger context, they all look the same - that classic pageant look.

by Anonymousreply 101December 15, 2018 12:34 AM

Ms Philippines' slow motion twirl is going viral.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102December 15, 2018 1:14 AM

Someone needs to kick Miss Deplorable USA right in her cunt

by Anonymousreply 103December 15, 2018 1:26 AM

It would be funny if Miss USA won but I don't think it would happen.

by Anonymousreply 104December 15, 2018 1:28 AM

At least she didn't do this. My mommy makes me sad sometimes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105December 15, 2018 1:36 AM

Nope r95- once again, brow ridge. Put your hand over their nose and mouth and you’ll see it.

by Anonymousreply 106December 15, 2018 1:46 AM

R102, Fierce. The Philippines, Colombia, and Venezuela take their beauty pageants seriously.

by Anonymousreply 107December 15, 2018 1:53 AM

Imo transgender contestants should not be allowed to compete.

by Anonymousreply 108December 15, 2018 1:53 AM

Treechada Petcharat

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109December 15, 2018 2:12 AM

In video at R22 Spain moves like a male and has the body of a skinny male. Sounds like one, too. Seriously do they think we're all stupid? So does this Spain still have a penis and balls?

by Anonymousreply 110December 15, 2018 3:24 AM

Yeah I just listened to the presentation show contestant introductions, which is always an experience as you hear these exotic sounding names said in unfamiliar accents again and again, and the girls are always so excited to be there.

Then we get to Miss Spain and yeah, she sounds like a dude. She's not fooling anyone.

by Anonymousreply 111December 15, 2018 3:35 AM

From looking at videos of the trans woman at R109 it appears they are one of the rare ones that could actually pass in person.

by Anonymousreply 112December 15, 2018 3:38 AM

R21

"Women, like drag queens, are seldom natural beauties. It takes lots of cosmetics and illusions to get that look."

There, fixed.

by Anonymousreply 113December 15, 2018 3:55 AM

No, it doesn't take women lots of cosmetics and illusions to look like women. But it does for males who attempt to look like women.

by Anonymousreply 114December 15, 2018 4:07 AM

[quote] In video at [R22] Spain moves like a male and has the body of a skinny male.

Yep, R110. Very awkward.

Miss Philippines’ last expression in R102’s vid is purty. And she’s being fat-shamed?

by Anonymousreply 115December 15, 2018 4:11 AM

Pretty doesn't automatically mean female looking. That's the issue with Miss Spain. Miss Spain may be "prettier" than say Rosie O'Donnell but Rosie looks like a woman while Miss Spain does not.

by Anonymousreply 116December 15, 2018 4:12 AM

Miss Vietnam has a chance to win

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117December 15, 2018 4:33 AM

I like Ms. Vietnam’s cropped do. It’s unusual. Doesn’t require a bunch of long Clairox extensions to show off her beauty.

by Anonymousreply 118December 15, 2018 4:39 AM

Miss Vietnam definitely is top 5. She also has a cool platform: fighting against discrimination directed towards children with HIV and AIDS.

by Anonymousreply 119December 15, 2018 4:55 AM

R77, I don't like the yelly introductions! It seems they were all instructed to yell out in their ugliest voice possible. And, there's a prize for the ugliest yell.

Is this how they normally do the parade of nations?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120December 15, 2018 4:56 AM

I think the yelling is needed because of the loud cheers from the audience tend to drown out their introductions.

by Anonymousreply 121December 15, 2018 5:02 AM

Thanks R117 I must admit that all the ladies look gorgeous in swimwear

by Anonymousreply 122December 15, 2018 5:33 AM

Wow, R117, thank you for that video! This lez hates beauty pageants, but is entranced by Miss Vietnam's punk-rock hair and HIV/AIDS advocacy platform.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123December 15, 2018 6:38 AM

Anything ANY Miss Philippines does goes viral. The country has hundreds of millions of rabid pageant fans. Two years ago that same Miss Philippines was the “favorite” to win Miss World (again, due to a very well organized cybernetic rabid fan campaign).

She lost to Miss World Puerto Rico.

So now it’s personal and the Filipino fans see blood when they look at the current Miss Puerto Rico, yet another very strong contender.

by Anonymousreply 124December 15, 2018 1:39 PM

I agree, Miss Spain looks and walks like a very sweet .... boy. If at least she had developed some dancy grace. But she’s a clunker- not that there aren’t any women who clunk. It’s just that in her case, it reminds people she used to be a boy.

Nonetheless, any representation or achievement by her should be celebrated as a victory for our LGBTQ community.

by Anonymousreply 125December 15, 2018 1:43 PM

There has never been a Miss Philippines without a "very well organized cybernetic rabid fan campaign" for every Miss World or Miss Universe pageant since the dawning of the Internet.

I wasn't on DL in 2009 but I wonder how DLers reacted to this video back then:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126December 15, 2018 1:50 PM

More mean girl moments:

Miss Colombia was trashed for yanking a gift that was being handed to Miss Australia (a travel pillow at some airport) and keeping it for herself while handing Australia a shittier gift (a piece of cloth and a stupid flag). They later set the record straight to appease evil fans, especially since they’re two-thirds of that Three Amigas bitch clique.

Miss Mexico recorded an Instagram Live where all she did was complain about Thai food. The girl has a lovely doll face with big thunderous thighs and rich arms, so you can imagine the jokes that generated.

Miss Ecuador complained about the shabby, “poor people” hotel (which is anything but).

But in general the girls all get along wonderfully judging from the other 99.5% of the live feeds.

by Anonymousreply 127December 15, 2018 1:53 PM

[quote]Nonetheless, any representation or achievement by her should be celebrated as a victory for our LGBTQ community.

If he was a real woman his subpar looks mean he wouldn't have gotten anywhere near this competition. So you're saying that not only do we have to tolerate the presence of someone who is only there due to virtue signalling, but we also have to celebrate it? That is breathtakingly misogynistic and unfair.

His presence there should be mourned as a setback for feminine gay men, women and science. Also, he doesn't look sweet at all. He looks bitchy.

by Anonymousreply 128December 15, 2018 2:02 PM

R126, those were the beginning years of the Asian pageant wave. Before then, Latinos were the big followers.

Even though by 1988 there were already two Miss Philippines and two Miss Thailands who had been crowned Miss a Universe, it wasn’t until the beginning of this decade that those two nations became insanely fanatic of the pageants, with the advent of online pageant groups.

by Anonymousreply 129December 15, 2018 2:09 PM

Point well taken, r128. You are absolutely right. It’s just that at times I think that, like Harvey Fierstein used to say, “any visibility is better than none.”

by Anonymousreply 130December 15, 2018 2:12 PM

R130 = r125

by Anonymousreply 131December 15, 2018 2:13 PM

I'm surprised these pageants still take place. Surely they belong in the last century. Judging people by looks (don't pretend it's anything else) is dangerously small minded.

But I do like when small or poor countries win!

by Anonymousreply 132December 15, 2018 2:50 PM

[quote] Sarah Rose Summers graduated Cum Laude from Texas Christian University in four years with two separate degrees while working two part-time jobs. After graduating, she completed her clinical rotations and exam to become a Certified Child Life Specialist.

Oh brother 🙄

by Anonymousreply 133December 15, 2018 3:26 PM

Miss Vietnam is actually 5’8”. Color me shocked.

by Anonymousreply 134December 15, 2018 3:27 PM

There is something unique about miss Vietnam that makes her so attractive. She’s tall 1.75m and skinny

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135December 15, 2018 3:39 PM

Interesting how now short hair is considered such an anomaly in pageants. In the 1950’s short hair was a sign of sophistication and maturity, while only young naive girls wore their hair long. And all the pageant patties had short hair.

by Anonymousreply 136December 15, 2018 3:51 PM

I live in a non-English speaking country, so I'm not a native English speaker, but I'm NOT offended by what Miss USA says to her friends about Miss Vietnam. She doesn't mock Miss Vietnam's English, she criticizes her personality by pointing a faulty behavior Miss Vietnam was channeling through language.

[quote] … and she pretends to know so much English, and you ask her a question after having a whole conversation with her and she … smiles and nods.

This is not an attack on her English. She "pretends" to understand what they're saying, and then she "smiles and nods" instead of actually replying to what they're saying. If you don't understand the other party's English, then simply say: "I'm sorry, can you repeat it? I'm not very good at English", and people would kindly repeat it with a pace you would be comfortable with.

Miss USA is just pointing to the fact that Miss Vietnam is so high-heels, she won't even admit she didn't understand something people said to her because she couldn't keep up with the pace they were speaking to her. She literally talks about "behavior", and not her "speaking". She points to how she "pretends" to understand, not to the fact that she can't understand.

This SJW thing is so fucking disgusting, I actually feel sorry for you guys in the States.

by Anonymousreply 137December 15, 2018 3:55 PM

I love how people are so OUTRAGED about this but they’re fine with the bimbo contest in the first place.

This is such Callout Culture bullshit. If Miss USA went to a pageant where everyone spoke Vietnamese, and pretended to speak the language, and was asked a question and nodded and smiled in response, the same people condemning her now would be retweeting that with laughing emojis and “what a bimbo” comments.

by Anonymousreply 138December 15, 2018 3:57 PM

The point is that you don’t mock or judge others who speak YOUR NATIVE LANGUAGE since it is their 2nd language. It’s common courtesy. I want to hear miss USA speak another language 🙄

Some are just stupid to even understand this

by Anonymousreply 139December 15, 2018 4:05 PM

R129, Filipinos have always been rapid pageant fans. Every town and village fiesta has a crowning of a beauty queen. It is entrenched in their culture and dates back to the Spanish colonial era with the elaborate Santacruzan / Flores de Mayo pageants honoring the Virgin Mary.

by Anonymousreply 140December 15, 2018 4:08 PM

[quote] I want to hear miss USA speak another language 🙄

Exactly, R139.

by Anonymousreply 141December 15, 2018 4:11 PM

So now FTMs will enter bodybuilding contests now? They won’t be able to pack on muscles like real men, so who will they blame for that? What concessions will have to be made, I wonder...

by Anonymousreply 142December 15, 2018 4:19 PM

MTF OR FTM should have their own contest, imho. No matter how good physically they are, they are still “not natural”

by Anonymousreply 143December 15, 2018 4:22 PM

R137, it is not just her comment about Miss Vietnam that people find troublesome, but that combined with her sympathy for Miss Cambodia for not speaking English ("can you imagine?"), which she and her English-speaking friends think must be "isolating"and "confusing" for her. The comments make her sound like an ignorant rube discovering for the first time that, heaven forbid!, not everybody speaks English.

by Anonymousreply 144December 15, 2018 4:30 PM

I find it hilarious that most people who make comments like this are monoglots who care more about the quality of their hair than they do the quality of their brain.

Monoglot <-- This is an insult, by the way.

by Anonymousreply 145December 15, 2018 4:30 PM

R145 prob you are not smart enough to understand that this is a beauty not science contest. Which part of your brain does not understand this? Hey

by Anonymousreply 146December 15, 2018 4:34 PM

My god, Miss Cambodia truly is a stunner. Miss Puerto Rico definitely has "it" too!

by Anonymousreply 147December 15, 2018 4:41 PM

Nobody talking about me ?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148December 16, 2018 12:54 AM

R148/Miss Spain, you were discussed at R22. Why don't you look like most of your online photos?

by Anonymousreply 149December 16, 2018 1:07 AM

[quote] This lez hates beauty pageants, but is entranced by Miss Vietnam's punk-rock hair and HIV/AIDS advocacy platform

Hey do you get a lesbian vibe from Vietnam?

I'm not just saying this because of the haircut. This woman screams femme lesbian to me. Plus, only a lesbian would be ballsy enough to rock this haircut at a pageant.

As for the post at R102, it made me laugh! You just know that some fierce queen taught her that spin. Practice, practice, practice, and then... BAM!

by Anonymousreply 150December 16, 2018 6:15 AM

[quote]No matter how good physically they are, they are still “not natural”

Neither are any of the female contestants. And I’m not talking just about cosmetic surgery and enhancements.

When was the last time you saw a pageant girl with no make-up and unshaved bodies?

by Anonymousreply 151December 16, 2018 6:55 AM

[quote]You just know that some fierce queen taught her that spin.

Well, here’s a fierce (and hot!) queen that did it at some airport, much better than her.

And BTW, the slow spin is done by dozens of pageant contestants, among them this year’s Miss Venezuela.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152December 16, 2018 7:20 AM

Why are Americans so shitty?

by Anonymousreply 153December 16, 2018 7:22 AM

[quote]She doesn't mock Miss Vietnam's English, she criticizes her personality by pointing a faulty behavior Miss Vietnam was channeling through language.

If that’s the case then it’s even worse! You’re saying she’s not putting down her English, she’s actually putting HER down. That’s even meaner bullying!

by Anonymousreply 154December 16, 2018 7:24 AM

Oh my heavens, what IS that creature at R152???

Hold me, David. I'm scared!!

by Anonymousreply 155December 16, 2018 7:26 AM

Miss Venezuela also doing the slow spin

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156December 16, 2018 7:52 AM

That “creature”, r155, has a very hot body and handsome face (and probably a name and a mother).

The rest is just theatrics.

by Anonymousreply 157December 16, 2018 7:55 AM

Yasssss! R99 is right -

Make no mistake. Miss USA is a world rather, universe! - class mean girl. And really just has small, unremarkable features that can be made up to make her into a ‘beauty’ -

So even if she (hopefully!) washes out of the pageant - she’s a natural for Fox News! At the very least, a gig as a weather girl in one of the flyovers (I believe there’s a recent vacancy in one of them?) - but maybe even a spot as a news anchor somewhere? Maybe even as the latest blonde in the middle between that idiot Doocey and the guy who looks like a sheep?

by Anonymousreply 158December 16, 2018 8:01 AM

Why is anyone surprised this deplorable ho is a bitch? She completely robbed miss nevada and miss florida in the usa pagaent! Watch the bitch fail to even make top ten!

by Anonymousreply 159December 16, 2018 8:06 AM

R138 she’s from Nebraska, she looks cornfed.

by Anonymousreply 160December 16, 2018 8:09 AM

Y'all will be crying when Miss USA wins Miss Universe.

Like it not, the "nice girl" doesn't always win.

Mean girls have won in many years, such as Alicia Machado from Venezuela in 1996, Amelia Vega from DR in 2003, Paulina Vega from Colombia in 2014, and many others who came before them.

When Alicia Machado won in 1996, hardly any of her fellow contestants clapped for her, and some even shook their heads in disgust.

At the 9:00 mark after she's crowned, you can see that hardly anyone is clapping for her. She was a bitch. And though they may not like it, sometimes the bitches win.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161December 16, 2018 8:13 AM

R161 trump isn’t in charge of this shit anymore , with IMG it is more likely Miss Vietnam will win.

by Anonymousreply 162December 16, 2018 8:15 AM

I forgot to say that Miss Colombia also ruffled more than a few feathers when she spoke against transgender participation in Miss Universe a few moths ago.

So if you add that to the Three Mean Amigas debacle and the airport gift drama, she already has three strikes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163December 16, 2018 9:53 AM

[quote] Miss Colombia also ruffled more than a few feathers when she spoke against transgender participation in Miss Universe a few moths ago

The transgender issue has been a source of contention for quite a few years in pageantry.

It's basically a cis- versus trans- issue. Same thing that has been debated in sports and other competitive competitions.

There are already a ton of transgender pageants, so I don't see why it's so important for trans people to compete at Miss Universe.

by Anonymousreply 164December 16, 2018 10:00 AM

The people whining about the relevancy of beauty pageants sound so tired with the same broken record from 1973. Objectification of women (and men!) is everywhere, you porn-loving, gym-attending, shoe-shopping hypocrites. Beauty pageants are simply another career advancing option for attractive women, just like modeling, broadcasting or calendar posing.

One of the first things resulting from the emancipation of women in formerly repressive nations is the selection of a Miss (insert name of oppressive dictatorship here) to represent the new nation in pageants. That’s because their women are finally allowed options out from under the thumbs of their patriarchs and options - ANY OPTIONS - are empowering.

The same people who defended Madonna wearing a dog collar in Justify My Love because it was her choice, should not be scoffing at pageants. Yes, some formats are more obsolete than others, but hey, so is fashion and hair.

by Anonymousreply 165December 16, 2018 10:40 AM

Tonight's the night!!

Go, Miss USA!!

by Anonymousreply 166December 16, 2018 3:22 PM

Give Miss USA a break. She's a hospital liaison who works with sick kids, FFS.

She can't be all that bad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167December 16, 2018 7:59 PM

[quote]I forgot to say that Miss Colombia also ruffled more than a few feathers when she spoke against transgender participation in Miss Universe a few moths ago.

That’s not being a mean girl, that’s being a realist.

by Anonymousreply 168December 16, 2018 8:12 PM

R167 up close the bitch is rough!

by Anonymousreply 169December 16, 2018 8:25 PM

I think she just wears too much makeup, R169.

They all do, actually.

The Miss Universe pageant was previously held in Vegas, and I got to see the contestants at an event. They were all so heavily made up, that it was scary!

by Anonymousreply 170December 16, 2018 8:35 PM

R170 I would say she looked good, if she was 44 years old.

by Anonymousreply 171December 16, 2018 8:42 PM

"Miss USA apologizes for not being 'respectful' about Miss Vietnam and Miss Cambodia's English-speaking skills"

Miss USA, Sarah Rose Summers, has issued an apology after video footage of her making light of her fellow Miss Universe contestants’ grasp of the English language went viral, sparking accusations of racism and bullying.

Diet Prada, a fashion industry watchdog Instagram account, called Summers “condescending” and “intolerant” when it shared the footage, which showed the Nebraska native speaking about Miss Vietnam, H’Hen Niê, and Miss Cambodia, Rern Sinat. The women are in Thailand competing in the Miss Universe pageant.

“She’s (Miss Vietnam) so cute and she pretends to know so much English and then you ask her a question after having a whole conversation with her and she goes …” Summers said in one video, making a confused look and smiling.

Another video showed her expressing regret that “poor Miss Cambodia” can’t speak English.

After commenters blasted her remarks as “shameful,” Summers took to Instagram to make amends.

“Miss Universe is an opportunity for women from around the world to learn about each other’s cultures, life experiences and views,” she wrote. “We all come from different backgrounds and can grow alongside one another.

“In a moment where I intended to admire the courage of a few of my sisters, I said something that I now realize can be perceived as not respectful, and I apologize,” she continued. “My life, friendships and career revolve around me being a compassionate and empathetic woman. I would never intend to hurt another. I am grateful for opportunities to speak with Nat, Miss Cambodia, and H’Hen, Miss Vietnam, directly about this experience. These are the moments that matter most to me.”

Her message was accompanied by a photo showing her and two contestants also featured in the videos — Miss Colombia, Valeria Morales, and Miss Australia, Francesca Hung — embracing.

Judging by Sinat’s Instagram post, the apology appears to have been accepted. Sinat added a shot of all five women, writing, “I speak the language of love, respect and understanding. I love you my sisters.”

Although some praised Summers for learning from her mistakes, others have continued to berate her. Many commenters have also called Miss Cambodia and Miss Vietnam “classy” and “forgiving” for accepting Summers’s apology.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172December 16, 2018 8:42 PM

Does anyone know where we can watch this thing online?

by Anonymousreply 173December 16, 2018 8:46 PM

Here you go, R173.

Youtube Live might work best.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174December 16, 2018 8:49 PM

There will be 20 semi-finalists, and five will be chosen from each category:

AMERICAS - five contestants

ASIA/AFRICA/PACIFIC - five contestants

EUROPE - five contestants

WILD CARD - five contestants

Seems a bit unfair to choose semi-finalists this way, but I guess it guarantees representation from all around the world.

by Anonymousreply 175December 16, 2018 8:53 PM

Now HERE'S something that Vietnam and Cambodia can make fun of...

Payback is a bitch, and so are you!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176December 16, 2018 8:57 PM

If you watch the video she posted, you can tell that she is trying to be funny rather than malicious. She still is probably a b*tch, but I don't think she was trying to be mean in this case.

by Anonymousreply 177December 16, 2018 8:57 PM

I don't get the significance of all those roses, as Miss USA's national costume at R176.

What does that have to do with the USA?

by Anonymousreply 178December 16, 2018 9:00 PM

R178, She's telling you that she's an American Beauty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179December 16, 2018 9:09 PM

Ah, thanks R179. Now it makes sense.

by Anonymousreply 180December 16, 2018 9:16 PM

Her costume should have been pink roses then, instead of red roses.

From R179's link:

"American Beauty Rose - Rich and deep pink with lighter reverse"

by Anonymousreply 181December 16, 2018 9:18 PM

[quote] She's telling you that she's an American Beauty

Not only that, but Miss USA's name is Sarah Rose Summers.

Rose. Get it?? Duh.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182December 16, 2018 9:22 PM

It’s still a “beauty” pagaent and she aint no beauty, bitch looks rode hard and put away wet.

by Anonymousreply 183December 16, 2018 9:35 PM

R181, the clever bitch's costume motif is working on many levels.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184December 16, 2018 9:38 PM

Haha R184.

I think that Miss USA should have gone as THIS Rose....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185December 16, 2018 9:42 PM

Mamarracha!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186December 16, 2018 9:51 PM

Wow, Spain's costume is GORGEOUS at R186.

I freakin' love it.

by Anonymousreply 187December 16, 2018 9:58 PM

I think it would be cool if Vietnam won.

First short-haired Miss Universe to win... ever.

by Anonymousreply 188December 16, 2018 10:24 PM

I would vote for Miss Vietnam. She’s pretty, classy and confident.

by Anonymousreply 189December 16, 2018 10:31 PM

Even better, if Miss Vietnam came out as a lesbian after winning Miss Universe.

That would be so awesome!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190December 16, 2018 11:01 PM

This lady is fierce!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 191December 16, 2018 11:02 PM

Live stream!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 192December 16, 2018 11:20 PM

Thanks R192. I’m watching livestream right now. Top 20 yay

by Anonymousreply 193December 16, 2018 11:50 PM

The top 10:

South Africa Vietnam Venezuela Philippines Costa Rica Curaçao Nepal Canada Thailand Puerto Rico

by Anonymousreply 194December 17, 2018 12:46 AM

Bye bye, USA bitch!

by Anonymousreply 195December 17, 2018 12:54 AM

And now, the few Americans who still actually watch this, tune out!

by Anonymousreply 196December 17, 2018 12:58 AM

Nah, diehard fans won't care. Miss USA was a dud this year.

by Anonymousreply 197December 17, 2018 1:02 AM

The top ten in swimwear were out of this world ❤️👏👏👏

by Anonymousreply 198December 17, 2018 1:02 AM

[quote] Plus, only a lesbian would be ballsy enough to rock this haircut at a pageant.

Ummmm, no, not really.

by Anonymousreply 199December 17, 2018 1:22 AM

The top 5:

1. Puerto Rico 2. Vietnam 3. Philippines 4. South Africa 5. Venezuela

by Anonymousreply 200December 17, 2018 1:32 AM

[quote]First short-haired Miss Universe to win... ever

Apparently you know nothing about beauty in the 1950s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201December 17, 2018 8:23 AM

Miss Universe 1970

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202December 17, 2018 8:29 AM

The Africa and Asia Pacific Rim final 5 contestants are all either Asian or South East Asian. They might want to give both regions 5 slots each next time. It's so odd that Africans, who dominate high fashion, don't have the same presence in pageants.

by Anonymousreply 203December 17, 2018 6:10 PM

R203, it’s a numbers balance formula. There are only five to eight African countries participating, so it would be extremely unfair for them to get five entries by themselves.

They should just do away with that system altogether. If the top 15 are all from the Americas, for instance, some will be left in the dust to favor some European chick who came 30th but is the top European score. Unfair all around.

by Anonymousreply 204December 17, 2018 9:46 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!