Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Lady Gaga makes history with SAG Lead Actress nom

Making history once is great. But Gaga is more than great — she’s Gaga! And so, today, she made history once more, becoming (as far as I can tell) the first singer to be nominated for Outstanding Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role at the Screen Actors Guild Awards.

And while her nomination isn’t all that surprising (A Star is Born got three more nods, including Best Actor, Best Supporting Actor and Best Ensemble Cast, making it the most nominated film of the ceremony), it is worth celebrating. Because while the Oscars and the Golden Globes get most of the media attention, the SAGs are, in some ways, a more prestigious recognition of talent. It’s an award bestowed by the acting community to acknowledge a peer at the height of his or her craft

It’s a tremendous feat of acting. And that’s why despite the many, many gifted performances by women this year, Gaga is making sure we let the old ways die, and witness the birth of a new, talented and SAG-endorsed Hollywood star.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25December 13, 2018 3:28 PM

Olivia is winning

by Anonymousreply 1December 13, 2018 6:37 AM

Glenn's got this.

by Anonymousreply 2December 13, 2018 6:38 AM

Glenn won't be crying tears of joy on Oscar night when she is bypassed for the new It girl.

by Anonymousreply 3December 13, 2018 6:43 AM

1. Colman

2. Gaga

3. Close

4. Blunt

5. McCarthy or someone else

by Anonymousreply 4December 13, 2018 6:44 AM

Reductive.

by Anonymousreply 5December 13, 2018 6:45 AM

Congratulations Gaga!

by Anonymousreply 6December 13, 2018 7:04 AM

Sorry, OP, Connie Francis was the first singer to be nominated, back in the 1960s, for the Golden Laural Award for best actress, which is a much more prestigious award than the SAG. In fact. Connie has this honor four years running. No one has matched that since.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7December 13, 2018 7:05 AM

Barbra was never nominated for a SAG award? Odd. Not even for Funny Girl or The Way We Were?

It's funny. I thought GaGa was one of the weakest things about ASIB. I never for a minute believed she loved him unconditionally.

by Anonymousreply 8December 13, 2018 7:17 AM

They only started giving the SAG awards in 1994 so Barbra, Bette, Cher etc. all had their Oscar vehicles prior to their creation.

by Anonymousreply 9December 13, 2018 7:22 AM

For fuck's sake, people, the SAG Awards were first handed out in 1995, more than two decades after The Way We Were and more than three decades after Funny Girl. And the history-making cited in OP's article applies to the SAG Awards and the SAG Awards alone.

by Anonymousreply 10December 13, 2018 7:23 AM

Why does this article make it out to be some kind of Hollywood history then? If the awards are that new, who gives a fuck if she's the first singer to be nominated?

by Anonymousreply 11December 13, 2018 7:26 AM

Shit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12December 13, 2018 7:26 AM

[quote]Why does this article make it out to be some kind of Hollywood history then?

It doesn't. If you read the article, you'll see it doesn't.

by Anonymousreply 13December 13, 2018 7:28 AM

Sag awards are slaves to hype. They never vote on talent. Only the movies that pay for the most screenings and send out screeners.

by Anonymousreply 14December 13, 2018 7:42 AM

The article plainly says GaGa is making Hollywood history.

by Anonymousreply 15December 13, 2018 7:43 AM

[quote]Sag awards are slaves to hype. They never vote on talent. Only the movies that pay for the most screenings and send out screeners.

Okay, Madge.

by Anonymousreply 16December 13, 2018 7:46 AM

R6 I’m really sick putdowns of me! All the snide remarks all over DL. Haven’t Jupiters got an acting gig to occupy your time.

by Anonymousreply 17December 13, 2018 7:54 AM

[quote] Haven’t Jupiters got an acting gig to occupy your time.

G dear. Have you been forgetting to take your pills again?

by Anonymousreply 18December 13, 2018 9:23 AM

ASIB was the worst acting I've seen in a movie since the Pete's Dragon remake. And that was by the dragon.

by Anonymousreply 19December 13, 2018 9:37 AM

I am happy for Gaga's nomination, but I could see that the division, amongst the voters, between her and Glenn Close could give Colman the win.

by Anonymousreply 20December 13, 2018 10:22 AM

It will be interesting to see who wins the Golden Globe and SAG. That will be a good indicator as to who may win the Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 21December 13, 2018 10:28 AM

GaGa is universally acclaimed as the greatest actress of her generation.

by Anonymousreply 22December 13, 2018 10:55 AM

But wait, 6 months ago the DL was convinced that GaGa was getting a Razzie award and her collapse was almost complete.

by Anonymousreply 23December 13, 2018 11:05 AM

R18 M dear. The reference to Jupiter was a typo. I was using my iPhone to post and as you well know us more matures ladies (meaning you and myself) do have difficulty with this modern technology sometimes. I'm sure that is something we can agree on....

by Anonymousreply 24December 13, 2018 11:26 AM

lots of voters don't even watch screeners they just vote for their favorite actors same thing can be said about Golden Globes

by Anonymousreply 25December 13, 2018 3:28 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!