Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Nico Tortorella: There should be 1 category for acting awards

Gender-fluid star Nico Tortorella says awards shows should better recognize nonbinary performers by nominating all actors in a single category instead of separating performances by gender.

“Instead of splitting it Best Actor/Best Actress, just [say] 'Best Actor,'” Tortorella said Wednesday in an interview on BuzzFeed News’ AM to DM. “Just put us all in the same category.”

In May, Tortorella, who stars in the TV show Younger, revealed they were gender-fluid, which is essentially someone who doesn’t identify as a single gender.

Tortorella maintained that humanity has “to figure out another way because [the] biologic fact is that there is a plethora of space between male and female.” Tortorella said on AM to DM that the next generation will see a shift in the way gender is discussed.

“The way that we as human beings split the entire world into two categories thousands of years ago is the most ridiculous thing we’ve ever done and it is the ultimate divide, the original binary, right?” they said.

The star has been in a decadelong polyamorous relationship with fitness guru Bethany Meyers, who identifies as a lesbian. The two married in March.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47February 1, 2019 7:12 PM

Oh.... SHUT UP!!

by Anonymousreply 1December 13, 2018 6:38 AM

Should have separate Best gay actor category

by Anonymousreply 2December 13, 2018 6:41 AM

I agree

by Anonymousreply 3December 13, 2018 6:45 AM

Just another way that the bullshit Non-Binary, Queer and Trans ideology is anti-woman and anti-gay/lesbian.

Yes, let's do away with all categories related to biological sex. Then men can just win everything.

by Anonymousreply 4December 13, 2018 6:52 AM

No matter what else he is or isn't, "star" he definitely is not.

by Anonymousreply 5December 13, 2018 6:54 AM

What the hell is they talking about? They is crazy. I can't stand hearing them.

by Anonymousreply 6December 13, 2018 6:55 AM

Barely a Z-list celebrity and still nobody is listening to anything they have to say....

by Anonymousreply 7December 13, 2018 7:12 AM

He is becoming fucking insufferable.

by Anonymousreply 8December 13, 2018 7:46 AM

Is they still writing poetry about their penis?

by Anonymousreply 9December 13, 2018 7:47 AM

I’m shit of all this trans crap. Call it out for what it is - mental illness.

by Anonymousreply 10December 13, 2018 7:49 AM

He’s beautiful, but can someone from our gay home team punch him in the mouth......With love of course.

by Anonymousreply 11December 13, 2018 7:52 AM

"Gender fluid", "non-binary", "trans" are all euphemisms for Look at me! I'm a complete fuckwit!

by Anonymousreply 12December 13, 2018 7:59 AM

I have to tip my hat to Whiteman.com at his ways of maintaining the power, even if he has to share with a few "undesirables". Othering females out of their own category under the guise of "kindness" and "progressive politics", insisting that black women are a subset of women whose female hood is contingent upon the white man's gaze, and lesbianism is contingent upon the say so of any male who doesn't think that he is. Finessed gynophobia is the only gift that whiteman.com can "give back". No spoils are left from all worldwide plunder and God knows the whole world is a female hating mess. But this Gender Fuckry, seemingly so "benign" ( to the slow, tired and through) can be used to really put females under manners.

I have come to realise that no man hates females like the white , Left leaning man. 'Nice guys", uh? Aint nobody hate you like someone who can't even define you, but instead insists that you are referred to as a name which means "something you are not." The "thugs", the Muslims, the sexually incontinent baby fathers..........they at least KNOW and aren't afraid to state what a woman is. I'll give any one of those fuckers the time of day over some pasty , over educated, over influenced waste man who'll deign to refer to me with any "cis" and "binary" fuckry.

by Anonymousreply 13December 13, 2018 8:30 AM

It's not about the Gender or Non-binary bs it's about acting

for example If Collette is now 6th in best actress category she's still better than Washington, Gosling and Malek then if we combine both categories she gets the nod she deserves

by Anonymousreply 14December 13, 2018 3:32 PM

Why would anyone ever say actors (sorry, actorx) are self-obsessed, airy morons?

by Anonymousreply 15December 13, 2018 3:40 PM

Actual trans people need to speak up and start gatekeeping theys labels more. When a "gender fluid," which apparently solely refers to clothing choice (mostly tasteless clothing choice) clearly man-presenting male marries a woman-presenting female who calls herself "lesbian," then something has gone wrong. Letting this complete nonsense persist just encourages and feeds the anti-trans folks, many of whom get on the train at this exact stop. Can't we all agree that these people are toxic, both to the movement and humanity as a whole??

by Anonymousreply 16December 13, 2018 3:45 PM

Oh please, R16. Many "trans" MTTs who claim to be women are just as male-presenting as this fuckwit.

by Anonymousreply 17December 13, 2018 3:56 PM

Who is this, mentally ill piece of diarrhea ? NEVAH HEARD OF IT iS IT NONRESTRICTING ENOUGH ?

by Anonymousreply 18December 13, 2018 4:02 PM

So if they come up with a single category for men and women, do they still have to split the nominees so there are equal amount of men and women, or can one gender dominate? If that's the case, does a gender fluid person count as half of each?

by Anonymousreply 19December 13, 2018 4:04 PM

Award show gender policy is the civil rights battle of our time!

by Anonymousreply 20December 13, 2018 4:14 PM

R1 said what I thought while reading that quote.

Seriously, just shut up.

Go make your own non generder-y gender crap show.

by Anonymousreply 21December 13, 2018 4:37 PM

I want to club him with a large bat. Like a baby seal.

by Anonymousreply 22December 13, 2018 4:57 PM

I'm impressed that he managed to put the word plethora in the same sentence as the phrase "biologic fact".

by Anonymousreply 23December 13, 2018 5:11 PM

[quote]Tortorella maintained that humanity has “to figure out another way because [the] biologic fact is that there is a plethora of space between male and female.” Tortorella said on AM to DM that the next generation will see a shift in the way gender is discussed.

[quote]“The way that we as human beings split the entire world into two categories thousands of years ago is the most ridiculous thing we’ve ever done and it is the ultimate divide, the original binary, right?” they said.

Yes, because the top-down, low-level, perceptual networks that reduce complex abstractions into simple taxonomies as a way of optimizing cognitive load, are simply ridiculous. Right?

by Anonymousreply 24December 13, 2018 5:35 PM

"The concept of day and night... why split every 24 hours into a false binary? What do you say about times when it's both day AND night?? Light/Dark is a social construct."

by Anonymousreply 25December 13, 2018 6:29 PM

The saddest part is that idiots like this don't even see how regressive such positions actually are.

by Anonymousreply 26December 13, 2018 6:37 PM

" Fitness guru Bethany Meyers, who identifies as a lesbian"... idk but this made lol so hard 😂

by Anonymousreply 27December 13, 2018 6:37 PM

The spiel reminds of this sketch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28December 13, 2018 6:40 PM

My dear, best acting categories are something that will never effect you.

by Anonymousreply 29December 13, 2018 6:50 PM

Affect.

by Anonymousreply 30December 13, 2018 6:52 PM

Vvvv

by Anonymousreply 31December 16, 2018 4:03 AM

[QUOTE]He is becoming fucking insufferable.

Becoming?

by Anonymousreply 32December 16, 2018 4:06 AM

I've never even heard of that guy outside this board. But datalounge seems to insist on keeping him front and center.

by Anonymousreply 33December 16, 2018 4:11 AM

[quote][the] biologic fact is that there is a plethora of space between male and female.”

Says who? Blowing raspberries.

by Anonymousreply 34December 16, 2018 4:26 AM

havent most combined categories been won by men over 90% of the time. When ed sheeran won best pop vocal performance Grammy as the only male nominated I remember how pissed people were. They really should go back to male/female categories

by Anonymousreply 35December 16, 2018 4:28 AM

The industry is still very white male dominated. If they did one acting category (well, two assuming one for lead and one for supporting), it would mean less nominations for women/POC.

by Anonymousreply 36December 16, 2018 4:55 AM

Nico supports Jussie

all of it is you @jussiesmollett. the red hat is the white hood. no ifs ands or buts. if you wear it, you attacked jussie. if you support them, you attack all of us. watch us rally. our rage is necessary. every single day hate crimes are committed. my heart and fists are with all of you. all of us.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37February 1, 2019 1:55 PM

Can he shut the fuck up. I'm tired of this bullshit.

There are two genders. FUCK THESE PEOPLE.

by Anonymousreply 38February 1, 2019 1:58 PM

[quote][the] biologic fact is that there is a plethora of space between male and female.”

Besides not understanding SCIENCE very well (which clearly indicates the male/female binary along with some very rare statistical anomalies), he doesn't have a good grasp of the English language.

The adjective is BIOLOGICAL. Biologic is a noun and a drug. The kind the T and big pharma are trying to shove down gay children's throats..

by Anonymousreply 39February 1, 2019 2:13 PM

Gross.

by Anonymousreply 40February 1, 2019 2:20 PM

Do men get more Oscar-worthy (meatier) roles than women?

by Anonymousreply 41February 1, 2019 3:20 PM

during the last "Oscarssowhite" drama, I counted up the number of Black nominees among the total pool of nominees and it was 12%, almost exactly the % of Black people in the US. . But why let statistics interfere with newsworthy drama?

by Anonymousreply 42February 1, 2019 3:22 PM

R42 Because blacks have a higher proportion of artists than whites?

Just throwing it there. Black women have the best voices. And aren’t black comedians in higher proportion?

by Anonymousreply 43February 1, 2019 3:40 PM

[quote]Just throwing it there. Black women have the best voices. And aren’t black comedians in higher proportion?

First, I prefer Black female singers myself (90% of my music collection is RnB/soul etc.).....but your statement is highly subjective, even if I personally agree with it.

Second, voice talent and comedians are not super relevant to the Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 44February 1, 2019 6:52 PM

One word r44: LADY GAGA

by Anonymousreply 45February 1, 2019 6:56 PM

R45 you're referring to one movie, in one year, The point still holds that the year I counted it up (I think last year or 2017) the % of blacks nominated matched the % in the population.

The complaint Jada P is always making is that they're UNDER represented which in that year was simply not true. Hacen't looked at the 2019 noms

by Anonymousreply 46February 1, 2019 6:58 PM

I can’t with this tool. He tries so hard and it’s insufferable. A narcissistic fame whore who believes his own shit! He’s not even that cute anymore and his “wife” is just as thirsty!

by Anonymousreply 47February 1, 2019 7:12 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!