Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I'm reading Jean Chrétien's book, "My Stories, My Times."

I've always had a soft spot for him, he's highly intelligent and was a wonderful PM.

Here he is giving Justin the Shawinigan handshake.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9December 13, 2018 3:59 PM

He spoke out of one side of his mouth.

by Anonymousreply 1December 13, 2018 4:23 AM

At least not both sides like a Tory, R1.

by Anonymousreply 2December 13, 2018 4:26 AM

I never particularly liked him. He had no real convictions and always polled the public before taking any stance on anything. I had far more respect for someone like Paul Martin who had the courage to declare gay marriage the law of the land in spite of opposition even within his own party.

by Anonymousreply 3December 13, 2018 4:28 AM

Chrétien was also a brilliant finance minister.

I liked Martin too, R3.

by Anonymousreply 4December 13, 2018 4:32 AM

I also have a soft spot for him, OP.

My favorite Chrétien moment occurred after Stockwell Day (who shot off his mouth and was sued for libel) ran up $796,000 in legal fees, completely paid by the Government of Alberta. A few days after that news, the Liberals announced a new program, details of which I've forgotten.

In Question Period, Day stood up and said, "That's all well and good, but I want to know how much it will cost the Canadian taxpayers!"

Chrétien said, "There's no denying that it will be expensive. In fact, it'll cost way more than $796,000. The difference is that THIS government expenditure will help more than one person."

by Anonymousreply 5December 13, 2018 4:44 AM

I'm tired of white people. Again

by Anonymousreply 6December 13, 2018 4:57 AM

That's great, R5.

Remember when those attack ads ended up working in his favour?

by Anonymousreply 7December 13, 2018 5:03 AM

I found him really annoying when he was PM, but these days I get a heavy sense of 90s nostalgia when I see him, so I’ve kinda softened on him. That pic is super funny.

by Anonymousreply 8December 13, 2018 5:08 AM

[quote]Remember when those attack ads ended up working in his favour?

Oh yes, that was great. Those ads were appalling - the very essence of sleaze, in fact - so it was gratifying to see the PCs get their comeuppance.

by Anonymousreply 9December 13, 2018 3:59 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!