Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Kate Bush

This BBC Kate Bush documentary has a lot of good background information. I didn't know she wrote "Wuthering Heights" when she was seventeen.

Do you have a favorite Kate Bush song?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82September 29, 2019 4:36 AM

I like her later re-recorded vocals for Wuthering Heights

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1December 13, 2018 12:59 AM

Running Up That Hill. Very thoughtful song.

by Anonymousreply 2December 13, 2018 1:01 AM

She was a guest at Elton John's wedding.

by Anonymousreply 3December 13, 2018 1:01 AM

Favourites:

"The Man with the Child in His Eyes"

"Wow"

"Running Up That Hill"

"Jig of Life"

"Under the Ivy"

by Anonymousreply 4December 13, 2018 1:04 AM

Wow is played in the Andy Warhol documentary "Superstar"

by Anonymousreply 5December 13, 2018 1:18 AM

"Wow"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6December 13, 2018 1:41 AM

Hounds of Love: “It’s in the trees, it’s coming!”

Kasha from Baghdad

Oh England, my lion heart

And dream of sheep

Wuthering Heights

This woman’s work

by Anonymousreply 7December 13, 2018 2:10 AM

I forgot about "This Woman's Work", R7! That's another fave of mine.

by Anonymousreply 8December 13, 2018 2:15 AM

The man with the child in his eyes. So damn gorgeous

by Anonymousreply 9December 13, 2018 2:21 AM

R8 I'd forgotten about that song also. That's a great one.

by Anonymousreply 10December 13, 2018 2:26 AM

If I had to puck just one I'd go with "Running Up That Hill".

by Anonymousreply 11December 13, 2018 3:15 AM

This Woman's Work in "She's Having a Baby"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12December 13, 2018 3:23 AM

"Breathing"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13December 13, 2018 3:39 AM

She's one of those artists who shunned the limelight, who wrote thoughtful and beautiful music and you knew there was a fine mind behind the beauty. Love the original Wuthering Heights and the UK video.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14December 13, 2018 3:43 AM

She could do a reclusive divas edition of the Trio album with Enya and Sade.

by Anonymousreply 15December 13, 2018 3:46 AM

A goddess among us. Love the whole Sensuous World album along with the ones already mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 16December 13, 2018 4:35 AM

I had never heard her speak until that documentary

by Anonymousreply 17December 13, 2018 4:40 AM

The Running Up That hill and Cloudbursting were my introduction to Kate, so they are my favorites.

Also love The Man With the Child in His Eyes, Wuthering Heights, Wow, The Sensual World.

by Anonymousreply 18December 13, 2018 6:18 AM

I went to see her at the Hammerstein in 2014. I had lived with her music and her videos for so long that seeing her on stage felt strange. As if a being from my imagination turned into a living person.

Her music helped me live through my teenage depression, but it also opened my mind to the idea that music can reflect other art forms - the intersection of literature and visuals in her music is unparalleled.

"The Night Wave" is a killer.

by Anonymousreply 19December 13, 2018 6:41 AM

"The NINTH Wave" ^^

by Anonymousreply 20December 13, 2018 6:42 AM

There really isn't one song that's popular enough that most people are aware of.

by Anonymousreply 21December 13, 2018 3:10 PM

Uh, I wrote WUTHERING HEIGHTS, dear. Not that hack.

by Anonymousreply 22December 13, 2018 3:50 PM

Interestingly, Kate Bush admitted she never even read Wuthering Heights, but was inspired by it.

by Anonymousreply 23December 13, 2018 4:05 PM

Sexual Healing

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24December 14, 2018 2:19 AM

A favorite? “Them Heavy People”, “Army Dreamers” “This Woman’s Work”

by Anonymousreply 25December 14, 2018 2:45 AM

Does she ever tour?

by Anonymousreply 26December 15, 2018 1:24 AM

She probably still makes a lot from her recordings.

by Anonymousreply 27December 16, 2018 10:42 PM

Thanks for adding that, R24. She has such a sensual voice; it's a perfect match for that song. :)

by Anonymousreply 28December 16, 2018 10:47 PM

[quote]Interestingly, Kate Bush admitted she never even read Wuthering Heights, but was inspired by it

I think she saw the last 15 minutes of the Olivier movie on TV...

by Anonymousreply 29December 16, 2018 11:03 PM

"Babooshka"

by Anonymousreply 30December 16, 2018 11:05 PM

If I had to pick one song I'd pick Wuthering Heights. Because I will never tire of hearing it and because it's an iconic song.

by Anonymousreply 31December 16, 2018 11:06 PM

I can't believe that there are pictures of Kate that I haven't seen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32December 16, 2018 11:08 PM

She’s toured twice. In 1979 she toured Europe, and in 2014 she played for two months at the Hammersmith Apollo.

by Anonymousreply 33December 16, 2018 11:13 PM

"The Big Sky". Best of all.

Kate Bush is to Pink Flyod as Chrissie Hynde is to the Kinks.

by Anonymousreply 34December 16, 2018 11:24 PM

Floyd. Ooops.

David Gilmore vs Ray Davies

by Anonymousreply 35December 16, 2018 11:27 PM

She sucks!!!

by Anonymousreply 36December 16, 2018 11:41 PM

Tori Amos owes her career to her.

by Anonymousreply 37December 17, 2018 2:57 AM

Don't Give Up

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38December 17, 2018 2:58 AM

She has a new book out - a collection of her song lyrics.

[quote]The novelist David Mitchell provides an erudite introduction to the collection. A lifelong fan who wrote some spoken-word pieces for Bush’s live performances in London a few years ago, he writes passionately about the effect her music has had on his books and the ongoing debt that artists owe to each other.

[quote]Essentially this is a book for fans, and fans of the Great Kate are as legion as we are loyal. The collection ends with Lake Tahoe, which includes one of my favourite images from her songs. An old dog, asleep on the floor, “his legs are frail now, but when he dreams – he runs”. I can never hear that line without welling up and, like all of the lyrics contained within Bush’s work, it loses none of its power by being separated from the melody. Maybe the Academy got it right with Dylan after all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39December 17, 2018 3:21 AM

Is novelist David Mitchell someone other than comedian David Mitchell?

by Anonymousreply 40December 17, 2018 3:25 AM

Yes, the novelist D. Mitchell wrote Cloud Atlas (among other things).

by Anonymousreply 41December 17, 2018 3:28 AM

Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 42December 17, 2018 3:32 AM

"Wuthering Heights" by Pat Benatar

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43December 22, 2018 12:13 AM

Look at that wild eyed expression in op

lol

She’s gadding through the forest with plastic antlers taped to her temples

by Anonymousreply 44December 22, 2018 12:32 AM

"Rubberband Girl" is on the February 1994 Gap In-Store Playlist!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45December 22, 2018 12:37 AM

Kate Fan since September 1983!

My favorites are:

"The Wedding List"

"Rocket's Tail"

"Get Out Of My House"

"Why Should I Love You?"

"Cloudbusting"

"December Will Be Magic Again"

"Top Of The City"

"Deeper Understanding" (ORIGINAL VERSION ONLY!!!)

"Houdini"

"James And The Cold Gun"

"Coffee Homeground"

"Babooshka"

"Kidnapped On A Building Site"

"Moments Of Pleasure"

"King Of The Mountain"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46December 22, 2018 12:44 AM

She was just phoning it in with Rubberband Girl

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47December 22, 2018 12:47 AM

YouTube blocks the 1979 video of "December Will Be Magic Again" in many countries, so I put it on my Vimeo channel:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48December 22, 2018 12:47 AM

mmmmmm YESSSS

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49December 22, 2018 1:43 AM

Cloudbusting. Someone in the BBC documentary posted by the OP says no-one is making the connection between Kate Bush and prog. It would be stating the obvious to make such a connection, since Kate Bush and Peter Gabriel had a hit duet with Don't Give Up, back in the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 50December 22, 2018 5:44 AM

I loved the 1994 "Fruitopia" ads!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51December 22, 2018 12:47 PM

R50, Kate's connection to Peter Gabriel goes way back further than 1986. She sings on "Games Without Frontiers" and "No Self Control" on his 1980 album.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52December 22, 2018 3:25 PM

Kate and Peter also performed a cover of "Another Day" on her Xmas Special on December 28, 1979.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53December 22, 2018 3:29 PM

It was interesting to hear Tori Amos as one of the talking heads. She spoke of Kate's influence and I found her analysis of what made Kate's music so impactful fascinating.

by Anonymousreply 54December 22, 2018 6:58 PM

I am very disappointed in Kate new Remastered re-releases.

First off, the albums do not sound any better than the 1990 box set, 'This Woman's Works.' Actually, they all sound as good as the original CDs. 'Hounds Of Love' sounds better on the 1997 remastered re-release.

The rarities really bugged me. Only one unreleased demo is on this collection, "Humming," which is the only thing "new" on the whole package. Missing b-sides include "The Empty Bullring", "Not This Time" and "Ken." Several Extended Versions were not included but there is plenty of room on the CD of '12" Mixes.'

'Aerial', 'The Red Shoes', '50 Words For Snow', 'Director's Cut' and 'Before The Dawn' did not need remastering.

I also thought the packaging was ugly.

Kate Fan for 35 years now but this collection is underwhelming.

by Anonymousreply 55December 22, 2018 11:16 PM

Remix of Running Up That Hill

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56December 27, 2018 6:01 AM

Interesting, R55. Thanks for the review.

by Anonymousreply 57December 27, 2018 8:25 AM

She should put out a box set of unreleased material.

by Anonymousreply 58January 6, 2019 12:47 AM

[quote]Kate Bush clarifies political stance: 'I am not a Tory supporter'

"Kate Bush has written a statement clarifying her political beliefs, saying a magazine interview from 2016 “could make it seem like I am a Tory supporter, which I want to make clear I am not”.

In the interview with the Canadian magazine Maclean’s, Bush was reported as voicing support for the British prime minister, Theresa May.

Answering a question about Hillary Clinton and “the fear of women’s power”, she said: “We have a female prime minister here in the UK. I actually really like her and think she’s wonderful. I think it’s the best thing that’s happened to us in a long time. She’s a very intelligent woman but I don’t see much to fear.

“I will say it is great to have a woman in charge of the country. She’s very sensible and I think that’s a good thing at this point in time.”

Writing on her website, Bush says the quote was “out of context … it seemed as if the focus went on to the quote rather than the work. It was deeply frustrating.”

She says she decided not to clarify her words at the time but was now moved to comment after the quote had been aired again in articles about her recently remastered back catalogue and a book of her collected lyrics.

She continued:

[italic]My response to the interviewer was not meant to be political but rather was in the defence of women in power. I felt he was putting a really negative slant on powerful women, referring to a witch hunt involving Hillary Clinton. In response I said that we had a woman in charge of our country, and that I felt it was a good thing to have women in power. I should have been clearer when I then said it was the best thing that had happened to us for a long time – because I greatly disliked the behaviour of the previous PM, who at that point I felt had abandoned us and everybody felt angry and let down.[/italic]

The latter reference is to David Cameron, who has been criticised for calling the referendum on Britain’s EU membership, which led to Brexit.

Bush is still a relatively reclusive figure, and did no interviews around the recent reissues and lyric collection. In 2014, she performed her first live shows in 35 years, having not toured since her only ever run of live dates in 1979.

She does write occasional messages on her website though, recently including tributes to the late recording engineer Geoff Emerick and the choreographer Lindsay Kemp. She also thanked fans this week for raising money for the homeless charity Crisis, drawn from sales at a London pop-up store set up over the Christmas period."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59January 10, 2019 6:47 AM

From "Not the Nine O'Clock News"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60January 10, 2019 6:54 AM

One hit wonder. Let's be honest. She was always a choice and very annoying and never really broke out of Britain.

by Anonymousreply 61January 10, 2019 7:08 AM

Hardly, R61.

by Anonymousreply 62January 10, 2019 7:10 AM

She didn’t really have HITS at all in the States but neither did the Velvet Underground or even Peter Gabriel era Genesis. Why? Does does that make her inferior to your precious Cher, Bette, Babs, Madge, Liza, Gaga, BritBrit? Or whoever the GAYvor of the month is? Sorry she had actual talent and wrote her own songs, came up with her own ideas and concepts, played actual instruments, experimented, kept it fresh and influenced a whole generation to followers in her footsteps. I’ll give you credit cause you actually know of her. That’s saying something especially in America where the gays (or SOME so the queens won’t dig their nails in me) were either completely ignorant of her existence or were just downright terrified and intimidated by her spellbounding originality. I still dont understand how (SOME of) the gays completely dropped the ball with her. It’s quite baffling especially in her early days of touring where her show featured such a plethora of theatrics, flamboyance, elegance and groundbreaking creativity. It seems like something the gays even in America would have absolutely embraced wholeheartedly. She’s an absolute treasure and was so under appreciated. I know the fangs and nails and scissors and what not came out here when Rufus Wainwright declared certain gays had the worst taste in music. He was being snarky and witty and probably wanted to stir up conversations but sales wise some have been proven to have the same musical taste as 14 year old girls. You see a straight man alone at an Ariana Grande concert people want to call on Chris Hansen. A gay man? Young girl, top 40 pop star.....perfect sense. Thankfully you guys here have proven him wrong. Well most of you :( especially if you’re one of the few places Kate never made so much as a peep in like the US. Well we had our own version in Tori Amos but that’s another story. “Suspended In Gaffa”

by Anonymousreply 63February 12, 2019 7:07 AM

I absolutely LOVE Kate. I truly believe she's one of the best female voices of all time and songwriters as well. Also, she's an absolutely deserving gay icon; has been supportive since day one!

by Anonymousreply 64February 12, 2019 7:21 AM

"The Dreaming" is my favorite album of hers I think, although she has many other great albums

by Anonymousreply 65February 12, 2019 7:22 AM

This Woman's work, Jig of Life, The Morning Fog, Rocket's Tail, Reaching Out. A truly brilliant storyteller, and an incredible artist.

by Anonymousreply 66February 12, 2019 6:10 PM

Give it a rest, R63. Two things can be true. A gay can enjoy lightweight disposable pop and love the wonderfully left-field artistry of Kate Bush. Also, I'd hazard a guess that her small, but fiercely loyal US following is over-represented (by population demos) with gay men.

by Anonymousreply 67February 12, 2019 6:51 PM

Why nobody’s thought of a Hounds of Love musical is beyond me. Kate’s work just screams theatrical. It’s a natural fit.

by Anonymousreply 68February 18, 2019 4:09 AM

Doesn’t she have a new album of B-Sides and Elton John covers coming up? No new material but at least it’s something to hold us over til her next new LP.

by Anonymousreply 69February 25, 2019 3:04 AM

I haven't heard of anything, R69. If she has something in the work she'll announce it a few weeks before she releases it, as she tends to do.

by Anonymousreply 70February 25, 2019 3:09 AM

I have Kate's autograph. I wrote her when I was a teen and she replied with a signed head shot where she thanked me by my name and wished me well if I remember correctly... I misplaced the pic years ago and I've no clue where it's now.

by Anonymousreply 71February 25, 2019 3:14 AM

I hope you find the picture, R71. I have her autograph, too. She gave it to me in person.

by Anonymousreply 72February 25, 2019 3:16 AM

I’m a straight American woman who thinks Kate Bush is incomparable. I love all the insane and fierce female artists. Grace Jones, Fiona Apple, Kim Gordon, Lourde. Maybe it’s vicarious living.

Sorry, just chiming in for r61’s benefit. There are so many “one-hit wonders” who are still beloved and enjoy a loyal fan base.

by Anonymousreply 73February 25, 2019 3:27 AM

"One hit wonder" doesn't even really apply to Kate. She had multiple hits outside the US, and in the US she was more of a cult album artist.

by Anonymousreply 74February 25, 2019 3:32 AM

R72, I'm sure it turns up somewhere one day. Kate is one of my all time heroes, up there with Boy George, Depeche Mode and Modesty Blaise. I so would've wanted to see her live in London because quite possibly those were her last live gigs ever. I always thought I'd definitely travel anywhere if she ever decided to tour again but then when it happened I still ended up missing them.

Where did you meet Kate, R72?

by Anonymousreply 75February 25, 2019 3:38 AM

Never say never with Kate. There may be live shows in the future.

I was there when she came to Tower Records in Manhattan in 1993. She was promoting The Red Shoes. I have little memory of it, except that it was very cold and we had to wait outside for hours. The line was I don't know how many blocks long.

by Anonymousreply 76February 25, 2019 3:42 AM

The one where she runs up the hill

by Anonymousreply 77February 25, 2019 3:59 AM

She's a living icon for all I care. Hound of Love is such a pop masterpiece, I almost cry with The Morning Fog first time I heard it. I'm 20 by the way.

by Anonymousreply 78February 25, 2019 4:46 AM

You are a very unique 20 year old

by Anonymousreply 79February 25, 2019 4:47 AM

She can still sing.

by Anonymousreply 80March 10, 2019 5:51 AM

She sure can. I was even gonna post this week, was it National Woman’s Appreciation Day? Something like that but to me Kate was the cream of the crop and of all the singers that deserved recognition, especially on that particular day, she’s definitely at the top of my list and so many others that she’s paved the way for and follow in her footsteps. This woman’s work ;) speaks for itself.

by Anonymousreply 81March 10, 2019 10:32 AM

Kate-n-Pete

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82September 29, 2019 4:36 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!