Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Have you ever used a DL term or meme among friends, family or coworkers?

What were the terms or memes used? What was their reaction? Were they befuddled or appreciative?

by Anonymousreply 49December 13, 2018 9:52 PM

I picked up twatwaffle years ago here. Makes people laugh and a lot of people I know have adopted it.

by Anonymousreply 1December 13, 2018 12:44 AM

"I'm telling you NOW so I don't have to tell you THEN"

I've used that phrase several times. People usually laugh when I say it.

by Anonymousreply 2December 13, 2018 12:48 AM

Do you ever feel bad when you adopt a phrase that you've heard a friend or acquaintance say and use it yourself? I do this semi-regularly and never feel bad.

by Anonymousreply 3December 13, 2018 12:49 AM

No. This place is my secret, guilty pleasure.

by Anonymousreply 4December 13, 2018 12:54 AM

Over the years, I may have invited a few people to die in a grease fire.

On the flip side, I once overheard someone on the subway use "cane face." I managed to keep my giggles to myself.

by Anonymousreply 5December 13, 2018 1:10 AM

R5, that was probably a fellow DLer.

by Anonymousreply 6December 13, 2018 1:19 AM

"Salesbottom"/"Shop bottom", 100%.

by Anonymousreply 7December 13, 2018 1:22 AM

A few years ago I'd joined a very progressive company where there are plenty of hipsters running about. The company's culture is very open and fun, as is its opportunities for communication sharing: glass whiteboards galore!

One day, minding my own business, I'd cruised around the corner on my way to the kitchenette, where a whiteboard is purposely poised, only to find it hosting the most interesting poll, with the most interesting 'write-in' nominee:

"Favorite Weekend Activity"

Categories included: "Cooking," "Partying," "Hiking," "Netflix," "Restaurants/Bars," "Me," "What Weekend?" . . . then there was a sole write-in category which touched my DL heart: "Meryl Streep"

by Anonymousreply 8December 13, 2018 1:30 AM

I use the term "frau" quite often. It's catching on with folks.

by Anonymousreply 9December 13, 2018 1:32 AM

I don't know her!

by Anonymousreply 10December 13, 2018 1:34 AM

Always and forever

by Anonymousreply 11December 13, 2018 1:46 AM

"Crying as I Type" -

by Anonymousreply 12December 13, 2018 2:03 AM

"Sizemeat verificatia"

My lunch pals looked at me like I was speaking Martian. Then they burst out laughing.

by Anonymousreply 13December 13, 2018 2:12 AM

Another vote for "I'm telling you NOW, so I don't have to tell you THEN". Mostly used when I am trying to make something crystal clear to my partner. He HATES it, which of course makes me happy. I have also doubled down after saying the above with a deadly calm " I have stated my boundaries". Still needling each other after 12 years, bitches! I trained / warned him about Frauen. He uses the term Frau now quite often. So proud.

by Anonymousreply 14December 13, 2018 2:15 AM

I often use the "Darfur Orphans" without meaning to reference DL.

It's surprising to me how many people have forgotten that (historical?) incident.

by Anonymousreply 15December 13, 2018 2:27 AM

[quote] He HATES it, which of course makes me happy

He’s going to end up killing you for needling him.

by Anonymousreply 16December 13, 2018 2:38 AM

A few months ago I used the phrase "die in a grease fire" and a coworker stopped the conversation cold and said, " okay, I think that's one for the record books and I'm now going to have to start using that one." The next few minutes was spent in the office dissecting what a grease fire would actually entail and what would warrant having someone die in one.

I was pretty pleased with myself.

by Anonymousreply 17December 13, 2018 2:40 AM

cunt

by Anonymousreply 18December 13, 2018 2:42 AM

Gargoyle on the roof.

Frauen. My German relatives love it.

Graxy.

Turkey meatballs.

And when asked on my latest business census form - the one seeking to find out - in stupid and inefficient ways - all about business innovations being applied - I entered in the box next to other, "Vivian Vance."

"I'm not running a bed and breakfast here." - when a guest asks for a glass of water.

Sumerian housewives.

And I invariably ask neighbors if they know any local stores with a reliable supply of Red Dragon Cheese.

Fraus at the trough.

by Anonymousreply 19December 13, 2018 2:51 AM

Yes, "Drinkie-poos" -

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20December 13, 2018 3:01 AM

R19, I had turkey meatballs for lunch and chuckled the entire time I was preparing them. Yes, they were served with a delicious graxy!

by Anonymousreply 21December 13, 2018 3:02 AM

[quote] Sumerian housewives.

Farmwives

by Anonymousreply 22December 13, 2018 3:08 AM

I made mention of BDF to two of our baby gays. After I explained it, it's now part of their lexicon. I also taught them the meaning of a lavender marriage, but that's not strictly DL.

by Anonymousreply 23December 13, 2018 4:19 AM

Chatting about ye olde bath house days at a party, I used the term "nacreous perma-layer of cum" and brought down the house!

by Anonymousreply 24December 13, 2018 4:38 AM

I love the various idioms of Data Lounge, but I never get to use them, as I have no friends, family or coworkers.

by Anonymousreply 25December 13, 2018 4:54 AM

To hate (x) with the heat of a thousand suns is one that I use from time to time. It always gets a laugh.

by Anonymousreply 26December 13, 2018 5:20 AM

[quote] To hate (x) with the heat of a thousand suns is one that I use from time to time. It always gets a laugh.

You know it's actually a line from an episode of "Cheers."

by Anonymousreply 27December 13, 2018 5:22 AM

Secret Lesbians. They're lurking everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 28December 13, 2018 5:44 AM

"Not all British men are gay, but all are convertible" is a quote from someone's recent DL comment. It gets knowing smiles.

by Anonymousreply 29December 13, 2018 6:04 AM

"Die in a grease fire." It's so graphic, so unique, so satisfying.

by Anonymousreply 30December 13, 2018 6:08 AM

R28 = Margaret Court

by Anonymousreply 31December 13, 2018 6:09 AM

At work, we received an E-mail that a certain manager (who none of us cared much for) was being 'retired. I sent an E-mail mentioning that her collapse was complete. The young, straight guy I sent it to didn't seem the least confused by my E-mail. I couldn't tell if he wasn't curious, or had visited in the past.

by Anonymousreply 32December 13, 2018 6:21 AM

"Presenting hole" to my bottom friends.

I also once used the term "shop bottom" around them, they found it hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 33December 13, 2018 6:36 AM

BDF to a coworker once. She looked at me quizzically and when I explained, she said, “Oh right! He does have BDF!” So funny. I use grease fire too but no one really says anything about that one.

by Anonymousreply 34December 13, 2018 7:16 AM

boo fucking hoo

drinkie poos

she has stated her boundaries

this can only end in tears

by Anonymousreply 35December 13, 2018 8:36 AM

[quote] boo fucking hoo

[quote]drinkie poos

Not DL originals. I was saying each long before 1995.

by Anonymousreply 36December 13, 2018 8:38 AM

I often reference fraus and (if Dunham is the subject of convo) I always refer to her as Lens

by Anonymousreply 37December 13, 2018 8:51 AM

My universal advice to anyone for anything is that they...PUNCH AND DELETE!

by Anonymousreply 38December 13, 2018 8:55 AM

Followed by they need to be ....SLAPPED VICIOUSLY!

by Anonymousreply 39December 13, 2018 8:56 AM

i learned them from DL, r36, and i say common usage makes it so.

by Anonymousreply 40December 13, 2018 9:03 AM

[quote] Fraus at the trough.

It was "sows at the trough." The word "frau" did not appear anywhere in the original thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41December 13, 2018 9:07 AM

Elder gay

by Anonymousreply 42December 13, 2018 9:54 AM

Bless your heart, R6.

by Anonymousreply 43December 13, 2018 11:26 AM

An "old" ! Not too common on here but I use it now a lot

by Anonymousreply 44December 13, 2018 1:49 PM

R44, I think “a fat”, also not very common here, when I see a great big fat person. I occasionally also think “a total fat all around”, which is not from DL but rather from a Woody Allen movie if I’m not mistaken.

by Anonymousreply 45December 13, 2018 4:28 PM

[quote]Chatting about ye olde bath house days at a party, I used the term "nacreous perma-layer of cum" and brought down the house!

How would it have gone over if you'd gotten it right?

It's "nacreous layer of PERMACUM." (Get it -- like permafrost? "Perma-layer" makes no sense.)

by Anonymousreply 46December 13, 2018 9:28 PM

Move it along, Toots!

by Anonymousreply 47December 13, 2018 9:29 PM

[quote] It's "nacreous layer of PERMACUM." (Get it -- like permafrost? "Perma-layer" makes no sense.)

Sumerian housewives is wrong too. It’s farmwives. Learn your heritage, people!

by Anonymousreply 48December 13, 2018 9:51 PM

Sumerian housewives was a funnier thread.

by Anonymousreply 49December 13, 2018 9:52 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!