Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Metafilter is like every stereotype of left-wing Wahhabism come true

I say this as a liberal who left it a few years ago.

Any other refugees from its intolerably nauseating finger-wagging?

by Anonymousreply 9July 14, 2019 8:51 PM

Great idea for a thread!

I was a member of Metafilter from 2004 or so. I'm still a member, but I stopped going there around 2014. It really is a caricature of everything mocked here. The real decline started when they went all in with the trans business. I am sympathetic to transgendered people, but the focus on trans drowns everything out there. It was around the same time that they began insisting the site is a "safe space." There's no room for humor or bitchiness.

by Anonymousreply 1December 12, 2018 11:46 PM

I'm an old. Never heard of this. I 'll follow this thread if it expands out a bit

by Anonymousreply 2December 12, 2018 11:50 PM

It's been around FOREVER.. I think it started in 1999. I would post passages that illustrate its absurdity but I still have a lot of affection for the place. Maybe someone else will come along with fewer scruples.

by Anonymousreply 3December 12, 2018 11:54 PM

The only Metafilter threads I have ever read were the Kaycee Nicole ones, which I discovered around 2006. The whole story was so crazy and so fascinating that I ended up reading all of them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4December 12, 2018 11:58 PM

R1 / R3, it's the kind of garbage that's in threads like these (this one's from 2016, it's only gotten worse... they've basically banned anyone who disagrees with the extreme)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5December 13, 2018 12:43 AM

oh god, I read some of that circle jerk of cultural appropriation speak. Its tedious, and circular..

by Anonymousreply 6December 13, 2018 1:05 AM

It doesn't sound like Metafilter is doing too well. They are bleeding money fast-- apparently they run through 33K/month. The only way to reverse the trend is to increase membership, but doing that would mean offending the sensibilities of the snowflakes who dominate the site. It's sad to see what's happened over there.

by Anonymousreply 7July 14, 2019 7:59 PM

I was around for a while, contributed from time to time, got fed up. I'll chew off one of my hands and eat it before I vote for any Republican, but the nasty sanctimony there got to be embarrassing.

And the people in charge are some of the most two-faced arrogant people you'll find anywhere. Moderators' friends and the site's precious darlings have long had a vast measure of latitude to ignore guidelines, requirements, rules -- while moderators proudly and loudly proclaim that they're ever so fair and reasonable.

HAHAHAHAHA

Metafilter has become a sad joke.

by Anonymousreply 8July 14, 2019 8:08 PM

It is a sad joke indeed. They have really backed themselves into a corner. I can't believe they have four or five full-time employees.

by Anonymousreply 9July 14, 2019 8:51 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!