Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Miami Discussion Thread

I’m debating on whether to include Ft. Lauderdale since it’s a sister city. We can see how it goes.

But what I am mostly interested in is a ground report of what it’s like in Miami and South Beach etc...

I used to go when it was a gay hotspot (years ago).

I’d like to go this winter but I have no idea what to expect.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62February 18, 2019 5:35 AM

I recommend a visit to The Rusty Anchor the next time you’re in town. I also suggest Gringo Night at Hernando’s Hacienda.

by Anonymousreply 1December 12, 2018 9:32 PM

You’re going to get me killed. And I’ve been to BED. Once is enough.

Next?

by Anonymousreply 2December 12, 2018 9:34 PM

By the way George Clooney was at BED when I was there. No entourage, just he and a beautiful female model type. He smiled at me *blush* but in a friendly way, not flirting.

I’ve always see at least one celeb when there. Or at least I used to.

by Anonymousreply 3December 12, 2018 9:36 PM

by ‘there’ I mean Miami.

by Anonymousreply 4December 12, 2018 9:37 PM

Well?

by Anonymousreply 5December 12, 2018 9:58 PM

No south FL people on DL? Come to think of it, we don’t hear much about Miami at all on here.

by Anonymousreply 6December 13, 2018 4:04 AM

Ok I’m going to try this one more time since it’s the weekend.

If not, then I’m just going to go to the west coast for my winter trip.

by Anonymousreply 7December 15, 2018 7:23 PM

Soho House Miami

by Anonymousreply 8December 15, 2018 7:31 PM

Eldergays skip Miami and go up to Wilton Manors.

by Anonymousreply 9December 15, 2018 7:37 PM

BED at R1 are the initials of Blanche Elizabeth Devereaux

by Anonymousreply 10December 15, 2018 7:48 PM

Sleazy and fun. Go to the Vagabond Hotel for drinks.

by Anonymousreply 11December 15, 2018 7:59 PM

Don't the guys go to the Gaythering Hotel?

by Anonymousreply 12December 15, 2018 8:02 PM

Whoops I thought he meant BED the nightclub. I was thinking that must be closed down by now anyway.

I need an affordable winter getaway that is in the contenintal U.S.

Still leaning towards MIA/FTL but seriously, nobody I know has been in ten years. I tried to google but it’s hard to get any real context that’s not an ad for something.

I’ve never stayed at a gay hotel and would like to. I know that area has a few but how can you tell which one? Some of the reviews seem fake.

I have heard that Miami has changed a lot for the worse so I’m hesitant to go.

by Anonymousreply 13December 15, 2018 8:11 PM

This thread is neither on nor poppin’.

by Anonymousreply 14December 15, 2018 8:14 PM

Oh forget it. I’m going to California.

by Anonymousreply 15December 15, 2018 8:14 PM

Where in California, OP?

by Anonymousreply 16December 15, 2018 8:17 PM

I’m curious too. Based on the internet gay listings, seems like there is little or nothing in Miami - which is so weird for a major city that has so many sexy people and is international. I love Latino men but have no idea if there are gay bars to meet them at.

I haven’t been for 10 years. Used to go in the 90s and early ‘00s - and over that time South Beach become steadily mOre hetero and Euro. Now I just go to Tampa/St Pete or the Caribbean. Such a shame - Miami seems to have such potential. And Fort Lauderdale - while gay - seems like old bitter hairdressers from NY/NJ who retired and a few trashy middle aged gays.

by Anonymousreply 17December 15, 2018 8:23 PM

The warmest city I can find, r16

Miami is warmer but I’d be flying blind.

by Anonymousreply 18December 15, 2018 8:39 PM

I live in greater Fort Lauderdale and I lived in greater Miami for many years. These places are very different from tourist traps that I don't visit, so I don't have commentary on those type places.

OP, if you are just looking for warmth, go to Cali. There is more to do there IMO. If I was a tourist I would only visit Miami in late April or May. After Spring Break and before hurricane season. Right now it's peak time and you are just paying more for less by visiting in December. Snowbirds and tourists make everything congested and its hard to get around.

Now if you are just looking for whores, there is no comparison to Miami bitch lol. South Florida is place full of transients, so there are not many solid gay establishments, outside Wilton Manors. Also a lot of the men here, especially if you are talking Latino and Caribbean men, are closeted. Don't think you are going to find many of them in touristy spots. Just find a sex worker for hire and call it a day!

by Anonymousreply 19December 15, 2018 8:50 PM

thanks r19. That makes me want to come your way! Lol I have always wanted to get a pro one day. Will keep an eye out.

Is weed legal down there? I want to get high and binge eat at least once.

Which is a plus for Cali. But I would have to change planes if I went there and for Miami I don’t.

by Anonymousreply 20December 15, 2018 9:01 PM

And where does one find these closet case Hispanic whores R19 ? Without Craigslist and with the ridiculous $300/hour rates Rentmen charge, I don’t know how I would find them - without some sort of hustler bar or strip. I know you have to be discreet, but even a hint would be appreciated. It is honestly the main reason I would want to go to Miami.

by Anonymousreply 21December 15, 2018 9:32 PM

Don't you have Grinder?

by Anonymousreply 22December 15, 2018 9:47 PM

300 is a lot, but if it’s a once a year thing then I’d do it. I’d be afraid of some of the lower budget ones. Grindr is so flakey I’d be afraid of no shows. Am I wrong?

by Anonymousreply 23December 15, 2018 9:54 PM

I would think that 200-250 is about fair.

by Anonymousreply 24December 15, 2018 9:54 PM

I go every year. Gaythering has no pool but the bar is fun in the early evening. There a lot of very nice hotels a little further up on Collins like SLS and One but they’re pricey. Sometimes I stay south of fifth where it’s quiet and I can relax. Not sure what info you’re looking for, Op.

by Anonymousreply 25December 15, 2018 10:07 PM

Are you usual successful using Grindr in your home town? Can you usually suss out the flakes? do the guys you choose usually show up?

by Anonymousreply 26December 15, 2018 10:11 PM

Bunch of pompous queens in Ft. Lauderdale.

by Anonymousreply 27December 15, 2018 10:13 PM

Just left Ft. Lauderdale. Worked in downtown Miami for the last 4 years - grew up in Hialeah but I hadn't been to Florida for two and a half decades back when I was in my twenties. I'm so happy to be out of there. Can confirm that Wilton Manors is where the poor gays live. I couldn't tell you what the hottest club spots are because I just don't live that life anymore, but there is a thriving night life. I prefer the quiet sophisticated bars. Lots of great, expensive restaurants in South Beach.

by Anonymousreply 28December 15, 2018 10:28 PM

The Gaythering has a night for BEARS and HARES. I know what a bear is. What is a hare (not the animal)?

by Anonymousreply 29December 16, 2018 5:12 PM

more miami info, please!

by Anonymousreply 30January 26, 2019 7:14 AM

Much of California isnt very warm at th his time of year, unless you're going to San Diego.

by Anonymousreply 31January 26, 2019 7:54 AM

For all intents and purposes, "Gay Miami" died 10 years ago. Everything officially Gay is in Wilton Manors now.

There are venues in Miami with gay customers, but Miami is now like L.A. -- everything in Miami is now mixed. If you want 100% gay 100% male, you HAVE to go to Wilton Manors. Even Twist is now overrun by giggling straight women.

That said, Wilton is NOT just "eldergays", unless your definition of "eldergay" is "35 year old". There aren't many young twinks in Wilton just because there's almost nothing for an 18-20 year old to DO there, but that's true EVERYWHERE in Florida.

The eldergays are out in force between 4pm and 7pm, then the average age drops by a decade per hour until 1am.

by Anonymousreply 32January 26, 2019 8:26 AM

R32 haha so true! I am in Wilton Manors now. The happy hours at Ethos ends at , and that's when my crowd departs for home to watch Wheel of Fortune and then Jeopardy. The city meters don't start until 6 PM and run to 3 AM.

by Anonymousreply 33January 26, 2019 12:22 PM

Oops meant to say the happy hour at Ethos ends at 7

by Anonymousreply 34January 26, 2019 12:24 PM

Palm Springs: High of 78 forecast for today. (Low of 52.)

by Anonymousreply 35January 26, 2019 2:32 PM

where are the twinks at in Miami? Where are the eldergays? Is the nude beach fun?

by Anonymousreply 36January 27, 2019 6:53 AM

The answer to all your questions is Grindr. The young guys I know either use Grindr or meet people through their friends and private parties at people's apartments. Unless you go to Wilton, there aren't many bars.

by Anonymousreply 37January 27, 2019 4:45 PM

"Wilton Manors" sounds like a drag name. So does "Coral Gables".

by Anonymousreply 38February 3, 2019 10:02 AM

Swinging Richards in Pompano Beach was fun when I went a few years ago. Hope it’s still there. Some friends and I also went to a gay club The Manor in WM. It was nice because it has a giant bar area, as well as 3-4 different dancing areas. So you could come and sit down if you got tired. You have to be okay with a pretty young crowd though.

When we were leaving the Manor, one of the valets crashed a guy’s car into another car. Cringiest shit I’ve ever seen lol

by Anonymousreply 39February 3, 2019 11:21 AM

The last time I was in Miami proper for business in 2007 much of it seemed like a war zone. Very dangerous town. Wouldn't want to go back. Miami Beach was very nice, good food, but dear God all the poseurs everywhere eventually became rather sad and boring.

by Anonymousreply 40February 3, 2019 11:27 AM

Lived in Fort Lauderdale for six months. It’s depressing as fuck. Dirty, and very moist. There is nothing to do but go to the beach and watch the eldergays bob around in the water. Well, that and going to the Publix on every corner and get a sub. Hated it.

by Anonymousreply 41February 3, 2019 1:03 PM

Miami is a pretty ugly city...it's just a bunch a skyscrapers along a narrow band of the bay. Wynwood is cool though but if you go to South Beach don't stay in the epicenter, near 18th and Collins. Go south of 5th or mid-beach.

by Anonymousreply 42February 3, 2019 1:44 PM

R32 nails it. Exactly my sense after having been away from south FL for a while and returning recently.

by Anonymousreply 43February 3, 2019 2:16 PM

Is St Petersburg a better bet for a vacation this time of year?

by Anonymousreply 44February 3, 2019 2:26 PM

Are there any white people left living in Miami? I figured it would be mostly Cubans and Puerto Ricans now.

by Anonymousreply 45February 3, 2019 2:42 PM

I like St Petersburg. More chill, less “glamorous or exciting” - but 1-2 gay bars, beach and generally less crowded and cheaper.

by Anonymousreply 46February 3, 2019 3:12 PM

R45 Hispanics are the majority in Miami. I was there last September and 90% of Grindr feed was Hispanics. Mostly Cuban, Puerto Rican and Colombian.

The guy I hooked up with (on the thread I made about all the hookups I had) was Peruvian.

I love Miami, but the gay scene died about 10 years ago. Everything is mixed now. All the great gay bars and clubs were redone to attract mixed crowds or closed down all together. Straights are chasing gays out, same that’s happening in a lot of Manhattan and West Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 47February 3, 2019 3:15 PM

Where can I find a place in south florida with naked strippers like the floppy rooster had?

by Anonymousreply 48February 3, 2019 3:21 PM

Wilton Manors looks very suburban and dull.

by Anonymousreply 49February 3, 2019 3:37 PM

It sucks that the town with the perfect demographics for me - Cuban, Puerto Rican and Colombian - lost its gay bars. And without Craigslist, I’m screwed. As a 48 year old, Grindr is useless for me. I need a hustler bar or Craigslist.

by Anonymousreply 50February 3, 2019 3:46 PM

That's disappointing to hear

by Anonymousreply 51February 3, 2019 4:01 PM

R50 A LOT of hotties down there. Beautiful Hispanic men.

by Anonymousreply 52February 3, 2019 5:12 PM

Why not visit Puerto Rico?

by Anonymousreply 53February 3, 2019 5:38 PM

Puerto Rico is beautiful but doesn’t have a big gay scene either. Even less than Miami.

by Anonymousreply 54February 3, 2019 5:40 PM

r50, try Scruff. Its average age is mid-30s to mid-50s, and guys there are basically looking to fuck (ignore any profile text that implies they aren't. It's a polite ruse to give their partner plausible deniability so his friends won't make fun of him.

If a guy whose profile says he's not looking for sex & doesn't hook up sends you a message & unlocks his nudes... yeah, he wants to fuck, and wants it *badly*. But he probably can't host.

Tip: if you're a top, say so in your profile name. If you can host, find a way to say it in the first sentence of your profile. Both will significantly boost your success rate.

by Anonymousreply 55February 3, 2019 5:42 PM

R1 What's BED

by Anonymousreply 56February 3, 2019 10:12 PM

it's where they stage the Herring circus, Rose at R56

by Anonymousreply 57February 4, 2019 3:36 AM

Haulover and South Beach closed due to e. Coli ?

by Anonymousreply 58February 7, 2019 12:19 AM

anyone know Frank from the Palace on Ocean Drive? he has a magic ass!

by Anonymousreply 59February 18, 2019 4:54 AM

Miami has become a lot more sophisticated. Check out the City Center and the Design District. Huge amount of high rise construction going on in Brickell. Miami Beach is depressing - like it's remained in a time warp for 20 years.

by Anonymousreply 60February 18, 2019 5:01 AM

disagree about Miami Beach, R60! South Beach has a cute charm, the classic architecture, and that fabulous shoreline. Other than Calle Ocho, I'd much rather spend my days in South Beach than in Miami proper.

by Anonymousreply 61February 18, 2019 5:32 AM

Miami is nice, so I'll say it thrice!

by Anonymousreply 62February 18, 2019 5:35 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!