Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

100 Million Dollar Wedding

(Bloomberg) -- India is preparing for what could be one of the world’s most lavish weddings, a spectacle that could even put the fictional nuptials in "Crazy Rich Asians" to shame.

On Wednesday, Asia’s richest man -- oil-and-telecom tycoon Mukesh Ambani -- is scheduled to give away his daughter Isha to billionaire Ajay Piramal’s son, Anand. There have been a wide range of figures for how much the week-long extravaganza will cost. People familiar with the planning estimated the expense at about $100 million, while a person close to the family said the amount is not more than $15 million. The people asked not to be identified speaking on a private matter.

Invitees to the pre-wedding festivities, in the central Indian lake city of Udaipur, range from international and local celebrities such as Beyonce, Nick Jonas and Shah Rukh Khan, to politicians like Hillary Clinton and business tycoons including Henry Kravis, according to people familiar with the matter. The guest list is so long that the Ambanis and Piramals have taken over at least five five-star hotels nearby, and a war room has been set up in Mumbai to manage logistics, they said. According to local media reports, more than 100 chartered flights will fly guests to and from Udaipur’s Maharana Pratap Airport.

As gratitude to the city of Udaipur, the Ambanis donated enough food to feed 5,100 people three meals a day for four days, and set up a bazaar to showcase 108 traditional Indian paintings, pottery and other art from local artisans, according to a statement from a family representative.

The main ceremony will be held at the patriarch’s home, the 27-story Antilia palace in Mumbai, and post-wedding events will be held in the city.

For the chairman of Reliance Industries Ltd., who overtook Jack Ma this year as Asia’s wealthiest man, Isha will be the first of his children to wed. After the festivities, the newlyweds are poised to move in to their $64-million diamond-themed mansion at the Gulita building in Mumbai, according to one of the people.

Representatives for Reliance and Piramal Enterprises Ltd. declined to comment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34May 26, 2020 2:56 PM

I give it 5 years

by Anonymousreply 1December 12, 2018 5:18 PM

It's a disgusting display of wealth. Let's hope they all die of air pollution.

by Anonymousreply 2December 12, 2018 5:19 PM

sickening! Grease fire to all of them.

by Anonymousreply 3December 12, 2018 5:24 PM

Nick and Priyanka arrive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4December 12, 2018 5:28 PM

If my daughter's future husband was that unfortunate looking, I wouldn't even spend $100 on their wedding.

by Anonymousreply 5December 12, 2018 5:29 PM

But ... but aren't all Indians, including this family, still oppressed via colonial legacy?

by Anonymousreply 6December 12, 2018 5:31 PM

Vulgar display....and obscene.

by Anonymousreply 7December 12, 2018 5:34 PM

Pathetic

by Anonymousreply 8December 12, 2018 5:41 PM

As someone else said, this wedding is going to put a hell of a lot of money into the area. It's not all bad.

by Anonymousreply 9December 12, 2018 5:47 PM

Money doesn't buy pretty.

by Anonymousreply 10December 12, 2018 5:50 PM

R5 Most Indian marriages aren't based on looks, they're based on consolidating wealth. Looks aren't a great predictor of marriage longevity anyway. Both the bride and the groom have enough money to buy pretty people like you as treats for themselves and each other...discreetly of course.

by Anonymousreply 11December 12, 2018 5:54 PM

R11 pls let me have my joke omg

by Anonymousreply 12December 12, 2018 5:58 PM

Everyone in India blows out for weddings, to the degree that they financially can. Hell, until recently everyone in Yemen would blow out for a wedding.

by Anonymousreply 13December 12, 2018 6:01 PM

R12 I rescind my comment.

But I do hope you wear a bow in case you're selected as a treat.

by Anonymousreply 14December 12, 2018 6:08 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 15December 12, 2018 9:17 PM

Was it a lesbian wedding?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16December 12, 2018 10:10 PM

Here's Kerry dancing at the wedding with Hillary.

How much in common with the man in the street do these people have?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17December 13, 2018 3:28 AM

It is positively unseemly that Hillary went to this wedding. How much was she paid? And don’t tell me this family has been dear friends of hers for years. It reeks of grift.

by Anonymousreply 18December 13, 2018 3:43 AM

I worked on the interior design of the 27 story "house"------ the designers ordered furniture from me. After it was built it was decided that it did not conform to the principles of the Indian version of Feng Shui. They would hold events there but they went back to their old house to sleep. I Don't know the outcome of the situation. 6 of the 27 stories was parking

by Anonymousreply 19December 13, 2018 4:57 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 20December 20, 2018 10:22 PM

Obscene display of wealth.

by Anonymousreply 21December 20, 2018 10:35 PM

With all that wealth, and they are still vulgar.

Imagine how many people he could provide with food, water, vaccinations, or education. It's not his job, no. But as a human being....I could never spend that much money, with so much more rewarding things I could spend it on.

by Anonymousreply 22December 20, 2018 11:37 PM

They won't divorce in five years or more, because this isn't a marriage as we understand it, this is more of a political alliance or corporate merger. Two filthy rich families united for financial reasons, and the bride and groom are expected to somehow have sex and produce heirs to both fortunes regardless of their personal feelings. It's how medieval kings and queens conducted their private lives.

These two won't be allowed to divorce as long as the financial alliances are in place, but of course people who live in 27-story palaces could wander around for a year and not run into each other. If they actually try to avoid each other, what with travel and other homes, they could stay married as long as they both live and never see their spouse again.

by Anonymousreply 23December 21, 2018 1:00 AM

R22 I think some article claimed that they would feed some people in city for about only 5 or 10 days. Then after that I guess they are on their own again.

by Anonymousreply 24December 21, 2018 2:47 PM

So you can rent Hillary for the weekend, if you throw some cash in her direction? Obama wasn't available? How ridiculous to buy just a bunch of random celebrities for your wedding. I would prefer to have people at my wedding who like and love me and actually want to be there without payment.

by Anonymousreply 25December 21, 2018 3:17 PM

🏰💐💍💌

by Anonymousreply 26March 15, 2019 3:22 AM

There must be some hot looking wealthy straight available Indian men?! Hell, we've got FIVE threads of Indian 🔥hotness 🔥here, this woman couldn't find one?!

by Anonymousreply 27March 15, 2019 3:40 AM

I guess my invitation was lost in the mail.

by Anonymousreply 28March 16, 2019 2:35 AM

Have they divorced yet?

by Anonymousreply 29May 14, 2020 6:05 AM

They will not. The families will not allow them to

by Anonymousreply 30May 14, 2020 6:33 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 31May 26, 2020 10:43 AM

The Antilia Palace.

"We have made oblongs and stood them upon squares. This is our triumph; this is our consolation." —V. Woolf

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32May 26, 2020 10:54 AM

They are VULGARIANS!

by Anonymousreply 33May 26, 2020 11:09 AM

Those were the days.

by Anonymousreply 34May 26, 2020 2:56 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!