Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Appreciation thread for former President and First Lady Jimmy and Rosalynn Carter

Lets Celebrate them whilst their still with us! Married for over 70 years ,Very little if any political scandal or integrity questions around them and now the oldest living Former President

Lots to appreciate of this world statesman and his wife

Lets discuss everything Jimmy and Rosalynn related here!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39January 5, 2019 5:11 AM

A good man and a great woman.

Sadly, though, a far better ex-President than President. Great to see how productively he's spent the years since leaving office in 1980.

by Anonymousreply 1December 12, 2018 3:53 PM

Well, there was that time he saved Canada from nuclear devastation. He was twenty-eight at the time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2December 12, 2018 4:23 PM

Decency, so rare now. Carter has given in the long run much more than any mere president.

by Anonymousreply 3December 12, 2018 4:25 PM

He wasn't very popular with the staff because he was a micromanager who held everyone on a tight leash. He wasn't very nice about it, either. He was a protégé of Hyman Rickover, an admiral noted for having a big stick in his ass, so turned out to be just like him.

All that aside, he was a president who might of done better without the GOP target on his head.

by Anonymousreply 4December 12, 2018 4:30 PM

A true American gentleman. He and Roslyn still live in the same house and walk home together from church. He is everything they tried to say Bush was but for real.

by Anonymousreply 5December 12, 2018 4:39 PM

Broke the Congressional ladder/barrier to the Presidency. Was the victim of a GOP plot to hold the Iranian hostages through his re-election campaign. People, good people who cared about those hostages, were killed, and he lost to that traitorous cretin, Reagan.

I voted for him both times and cried when he left the WH. If we had listened to him during the oil embargo, we'd be energy independent now and leading the world in the manufacture of sustainable energy technology. He was a visionary who saw the future and I wonder what he thinks, now, of what might have been.

by Anonymousreply 6December 12, 2018 4:44 PM

R7 I suspect that while he regrets the lack of action towards real energy independence, he forgives us for our short-sightedness because that's the kind of person he is.

He was a different kind of President, neither as venal as Nixon nor as stupid as Reagan.

by Anonymousreply 7December 12, 2018 4:48 PM

While Reagan left office to give a speech for Pepsi in Japan for 2mil.

by Anonymousreply 8December 12, 2018 5:02 PM

Somebody had to pay for Nancy's frocks.

by Anonymousreply 9December 12, 2018 5:04 PM

Pres. Carter had a reputation as a man who didn't suffer fools lazy people easily. If you were on his staff in the White House you were expected to pull your weight, and work a full day for a full day's pay. He was known to confront Secret Service men who were just standing around doing nothing by asking them "don't you men have something to do?".

by Anonymousreply 10December 12, 2018 5:19 PM

fools OR lazy people

by Anonymousreply 11December 12, 2018 5:19 PM

[quote]Very little if any political scandal

Yes, but he DID secretly lust in his heart.

by Anonymousreply 12December 12, 2018 5:20 PM

r6 Brit here -What is this GOP plot you speak of ?First I have heard of it.

by Anonymousreply 13December 13, 2018 12:27 AM

R13, r6 is referring to the October Surprise. Wikipedia is okay as a starting point, I guess.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14December 13, 2018 2:35 AM

Probably the most descent couple to ever live in the White House...my God has this country fallen ,

by Anonymousreply 15December 13, 2018 3:35 AM

Cheers r14

by Anonymousreply 16December 13, 2018 2:17 PM

Gosh fancy a former US President receiving a grammy nomination never mind as many of them as Jimmy Carter has done including this month!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17December 16, 2018 4:33 AM

I cannot understand why he is disliked by the entire Former POTUS club, Sure, I can see why perhaps the conservatives would not like him, but Obama? Clinton? And it cannot be that they are of different generations and political bents since WJC and HWB were like father and son.

There has to more to it than his being a micromanager of the staff.

by Anonymousreply 18December 16, 2018 4:43 AM

Where did you hear he was disliked by them r18 ?

by Anonymousreply 19December 16, 2018 4:45 AM

You’re shitting us, right? He had a butt load of scandals. Just to start with - his damn dumb ass brother, who went around and borrowed money from Ghaddafhi for his Billy Beer nonsense . Yeah, that caused a hell of a lot of scandal. His family was a constant source of embarassment - and they were pretty much low rent grifters.

Bert Lance was Carter’s OMB director and forced to resign over allegations of improprieties when he was director of a bank in Georgia. He was later cleared. But his name surfaced again in the BCCI scandal - Iran Contra.

Beyond his famous disappearing act when he simply vanished from public view for several months on his quixotic attempt to remake national energy policy on his own, there was the Torrijos concession that returned the Panama Canal Zone to Panama. Seems like NBD now - but then, this was a huge deal. We had a seroius problem with Nicaragua, we weren’t getting squat for turning over a national asset to a corrupt banana republic and we were losing one of our most important military bases in the region.

Then there was thing called “Iran”. 53 hostages, 444 days. Carter fucked that up royally and it cost him the election and irrevocably changed the world as it set the US on a path of warfare with the Middle East that started with Iran, spread to Lebanon and ultimately exploded with the Arab Spring and Syria.

Camp David Accord? Got Peace yet?

by Anonymousreply 20December 16, 2018 5:02 AM

How's the weather in St Petersburg, r20?

by Anonymousreply 21December 16, 2018 5:08 AM

R21 DC, cunt. Find a new punch line. He lost re-election in a landslide.

by Anonymousreply 22December 16, 2018 5:51 AM

R20 Carter gets blamed for the Middle East mess but there were always problems in the region before he became President.

Many people forget that daddy Bush was RNC Charirman in 1973-74 & a steadfast defender of Nixon.

He had to pledge not to run as Pres. or Vice-Pres. during the 1976 campaign in order to get the job.

Americans didn't realize that a CIA Chief with lofty goals might be a danger to a sitting President's reelection bid.

The release of the hostages shortly after Reagan/Bush was sworn in has "CIA operation" all over it to many of us (& I say that as an Independent).

As bad as Carter's relatives were, you forgot to put his in perspective to the others that followed him = Reagan's (Nancy's psychic meddling, etc.), Bush's (2 idiot sons, etc.), Clinton's (Hillary's line crossing & scandals, idiot brother, etc.) & Trump's (where to begin there?) all surpass Jimmy's "relative problems". Only Obama seems to have the fewest "relative problems" of recent Presidents but even he had a couple minor ones (wife's $$$ traveling, etc.).

The Panama Canal was a big deal back then but we really don't know what we got behind the scenes with that one. Our government never does something for nothing (including under Carter). There are plenty of blacked out papers that haven't been revealed during the Carter years. Time will tell. Repubs might still hate what he did on Panama but most people don't care about it to tar his legacy. I didn't care about the issue then & agree with Carter's decision about it now (for the record, I was too young to cast a vote for him in '80).

by Anonymousreply 23December 16, 2018 6:07 AM

I would be shocked if political secrets came out about Jimmy Carter in future years that really revealed him to be a wicked awful individual ,I really would .I do not think he is the type.

I suspect it is his idealistic nature that create an issue with the other former presidents who favoured more pragmatism in American politics.

by Anonymousreply 24December 17, 2018 2:13 AM

I forget President Carter's beloved mother Mizz Lillian who famously and frequently referred to black folks(who were a major source of support for her son) as "Nigras." Can you imagine if a Trump or even a Bush relative did that?

by Anonymousreply 25December 17, 2018 3:59 AM

[R25] 'Nigra' was just another white way of demeaning Blacks under the guise that they weren't saying the N word...it was more popular among the southern gentry (if there's such a thing). BTW, LBJ had the same affliction...and so it goes...white folk being white

by Anonymousreply 26December 17, 2018 4:16 AM

When he made that speach about lusting in his heart, he was talking about me.

by Anonymousreply 27December 17, 2018 4:24 AM

Did you feel lustful in return Blanche ??! r27

by Anonymousreply 28December 21, 2018 3:52 AM

Either a magazine or newspaper did a profile on the Carters this year. Can't remember which one.

They live such a simple life & are totally devoted to each other.

They have dinner every week with in their neighbor's home. The walk hand & hand every day. He preaches children Sunday school. He builds houses for the poor even at his age.

The article made me weep for how far human decency has fallen from The Carters to The Trumps.

by Anonymousreply 29December 21, 2018 4:13 AM

No surprise DL appreciates a bigoted geezer.

by Anonymousreply 30December 21, 2018 4:20 AM

Before you call Jimmy Carter bigoted, you should read about Mary Prince, the African-American woman wrongfully convicted of murder, whose cause he championed as Governor. Rosalynn Carter said Prince was convicted because of the color of her skin, and Jimmy dedicated a book to her. Eventually Prince was hired as nanny to the Carters' daughter.

Cf. Bill Clinton and Ricky Ray Rector.

by Anonymousreply 31December 21, 2018 4:33 AM

Here Here r31 Well said and well highlighted.

by Anonymousreply 32January 5, 2019 1:58 AM

How many bombs were dropped by the USA when Carter was commander in chief? How many servicepeople were killed?

by Anonymousreply 33January 5, 2019 2:15 AM

Do tell if you already know r33 and your post is just a rhetorical question.

by Anonymousreply 34January 5, 2019 3:38 AM

Whilst?

by Anonymousreply 35January 5, 2019 4:01 AM

Yes its a word r35.....

by Anonymousreply 36January 5, 2019 4:10 AM

How many more days before the Carters overtake the now dead bushes as the longest married Presidential couple?

by Anonymousreply 37January 5, 2019 4:53 AM

Rosalynn was such a MILFy FLOTUS. She had a late 70s elegance and easy Southern sensuality to her.

by Anonymousreply 38January 5, 2019 4:55 AM

Their kid Amy was a massive asshole according to long time WH staff. Total nightmare.

by Anonymousreply 39January 5, 2019 5:11 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!