Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Ellen DeGeneres is Not as Nice as You Think She Is

Her breakthrough, she explained, came when she developed a bit about whether she was still relatable, which, considering the extravagant surroundings (she and de Rossi have works by Richard Serra, Tracey Emin and Basquiat), does sound like a joke. But it is a subject DeGeneres understands in a personal, idiosyncratic way, “It was interesting to me that I was more relatable when I was closeted and dishonest than when I came out,” she said.

When she came out of the closet in 1997, the first out lesbian lead of her own sitcom, “Ellen,” she became a huge star, on the cover of Time, accompanied by the headline “Yep, I’m Gay.” But what’s remembered less is what happened next. ABC put a parental advisory warning on the show and canceled it the next season. According to DeGeneres, her straight audience left her and she received wounding criticism from gay viewers for not being political enough. (Elton John’s comment that she should stop talking about her sexuality and be funny still stings.) She sank into a depression.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119December 13, 2018 8:28 PM

NY Times is after her. She dissed them a few years back and they never forgot.

by Anonymousreply 1December 12, 2018 12:24 PM

OMG SHE'S A REAL HUMAN!? How dare her.

by Anonymousreply 2December 12, 2018 12:25 PM

How dare SHE.

by Anonymousreply 3December 12, 2018 12:29 PM

Worthwhile read. Very clickbaity though

by Anonymousreply 4December 12, 2018 12:29 PM

This is news?

by Anonymousreply 5December 12, 2018 12:33 PM

She's really nice for a lesbian with a New Orleans leather scene biker chick background.

by Anonymousreply 6December 12, 2018 12:36 PM

Poor Ellen. Dissed by Dame Elton who makes a very convincing lesbian - small, fat and dumpy and prone to hysterical outbursts.

by Anonymousreply 7December 12, 2018 12:38 PM

She really is an intolerable asshole. Unpleasant, demanding, and cunty

by Anonymousreply 8December 12, 2018 12:41 PM

R8 so am I sometimes, but at work I have to fake it and be tolerant and somewhat pleasant.

by Anonymousreply 9December 12, 2018 12:50 PM

Before I click, can anybody tell me do they address her drinking and her bitchiness to everybody "beneath" her? Or is this a puff piece?

by Anonymousreply 10December 12, 2018 12:53 PM

I have a bad rap too.

by Anonymousreply 11December 12, 2018 12:56 PM

R10 yeh, they also talk about how she sometimes gets diarrhea, and picks her nose when no one is looking, and occasionally passes gas.

by Anonymousreply 12December 12, 2018 1:00 PM

It's actually a very flattering article, even though the headline is clickbaity.

Dame Elton is such a goddamned asshole.

by Anonymousreply 13December 12, 2018 1:04 PM

The interviewer asks her about that reputation, R10, and she says it makes her mad because she only allows people who are pleasant and decent to work on her show. It comes across a little less convincing than she intended it, I'm sure.

Nothing about the drinking.

by Anonymousreply 14December 12, 2018 1:05 PM

Dear Lord in Heaven!

by Anonymousreply 15December 12, 2018 4:18 PM

A lesbian friend of mine who works at a bar/restaurant in West Hollywood told me that Ellen came in several years ago with Anne Heche. She told me that Anne was really sweet, but Ellen was a total cunt.

by Anonymousreply 16December 12, 2018 4:24 PM

her new comedy special was directed by Tig Notaro! How long before the very sane miss Notaro will tell the press that Ellen is a cunt and possibly a predatrix?

by Anonymousreply 17December 12, 2018 4:29 PM

How come any time a lesbian gets to a certain level of fame or prominence, people start calling her a bitch for no reason at all. We never hear people talk like this about Letterman or straight male hosts that are definitely assholes.

There are people in the comments at the New York Times who have met her and they say she’s perfectly nice.

by Anonymousreply 18December 12, 2018 4:30 PM

There are too many stories from too many sources about Ellen's cuntery, temper and boozing for them not to be true. Too bad about the puff piece. Saves me a read. I also don't believe for a second that Portia is pressing her to quit. That sounds like bullshit to me.

by Anonymousreply 19December 12, 2018 4:31 PM

No one on this board thinks Ellen is that nice, the gossip mill about her has been loud and consistent.

by Anonymousreply 20December 12, 2018 4:32 PM

Where have the rumours about her having a drink problem come from?

by Anonymousreply 21December 12, 2018 4:36 PM

Any adult who likes pranks and practical jokes is mentally ill somehow.

by Anonymousreply 22December 12, 2018 4:36 PM

I used to DVR her show and watch it everyday when I got home from work. I stopped after getting sick of the same old routine (giving away money to inspirational people, dumb games, etc.). I happened to catch one of her shows recently and she really does seem like she hates being there. More than ever before. She needs to let that show go and spend her millions.

by Anonymousreply 23December 12, 2018 4:37 PM

I'll bet she rips nasty farts during commercial breaks.

by Anonymousreply 24December 12, 2018 4:39 PM

why is she conflicted about leaving the show? she obviously hates doing it (she's painful to watch) and has more money than god. Why the fuck she cares?

by Anonymousreply 25December 12, 2018 4:47 PM

Well, Portia says right there in the interview in front of the reporter that she wants Ellen to quit, so if it's bullshit, it's bullshit that she's helping to orchestrate herself.

by Anonymousreply 26December 12, 2018 4:49 PM

I don't think Ellen could have gotten to where she is by being nice. I did a Fox show with her years and years back called "Open House". She was very quiet and kept to herself. She was dating a female photographer. I later saw her in the early morning hours at a Drug Store in Cheviot Hills looking at fashion magazines. She remembered me and was as nice as could be. I'm glad she's a success but I also think she, like many comics, have a hard time with this kind of success.

by Anonymousreply 27December 12, 2018 4:55 PM

She's a huge cunt and everyone who interacts with her has known it for a while.

Didn't Vanity Fair or the New Yorker do a piece on her years ago about this?

by Anonymousreply 28December 12, 2018 5:00 PM

[quote] Ellen came in several years ago with Anne Heche.

Honey, that would have been more like twenty plus years ago.

by Anonymousreply 29December 12, 2018 5:01 PM

I don't get the fawning and accolades for her AT ALL. From the article:

Among her vast collection of awards are the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the Mark Twain Prize for American Humor and 32 Emmys.

by Anonymousreply 30December 12, 2018 5:01 PM

A certain subset of Dataloungers loathe out gay people, and the very concept of being publicly out and unashamed.

Another subset hates women, and lesbians in particular, and any outspoken, successful woman.

There is a lot of overlap between those two subsets. Consider that when reading Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 31December 12, 2018 5:02 PM

I want to hear more about working on the set of “Open House,” please. Did Mary Page Keller resent becoming a supporting character to Alison LaPlaca?

by Anonymousreply 32December 12, 2018 5:05 PM

The piece is totally unsurprising and not worthy of quoting.

This was the only part that stood out for me:

[quote]cracking several jokes, for instance, about her fabulous wealth. (Forbes reports that she earned $87.5 million this year, making her the 15th-highest-paid celebrity in the world).

The NUMBER$ you read about these days. Just astonishing.

by Anonymousreply 33December 12, 2018 5:06 PM

Face it, when you get right down to it the assholes outnumber the nice people in the entertainment industry 10 to 1.

by Anonymousreply 34December 12, 2018 5:14 PM

^agree. She's a very mediocre talent, can't believe she managed to become that wealthy.

by Anonymousreply 35December 12, 2018 5:14 PM

I can't stand her, and she is Justin Timberlake

by Anonymousreply 36December 12, 2018 5:19 PM

I very much dislike her. she's an enabler of celebrities and helps them do dumbass redemption shows - kardashian/kanye and bieber. efff them.

by Anonymousreply 37December 12, 2018 5:19 PM

She is the reason all the hobos keep disappearing in the 5-mile radius around her house. Their bodies are never recovered.

by Anonymousreply 38December 12, 2018 5:22 PM

She's the biggest cunt that ever cunted.

by Anonymousreply 39December 12, 2018 5:23 PM

She's the snatchiest snatch that ever snatched.

by Anonymousreply 40December 12, 2018 5:27 PM

Is Portia doing some sort of weird Vivien Leigh attention getting thing there?

by Anonymousreply 41December 12, 2018 5:27 PM

Her tired 90s lesbian look with the short hair has to go.

by Anonymousreply 42December 12, 2018 5:32 PM

R26 I think Portia says whatever the fuck Ellen tells her to say.

by Anonymousreply 43December 12, 2018 5:32 PM

[quote]Her tired 90s lesbian look with the short hair has to go.

Is that a 90s thing? I didn't realise.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44December 12, 2018 5:38 PM

R44 It wasn't considered fashionable back then. The 90s is responsible for making the look "chic."

by Anonymousreply 45December 12, 2018 5:42 PM

So Ellen was still “nice” back when she first did Carson? The times would check out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46December 12, 2018 6:46 PM

My dear R42, short hair on lesbians is as timeless as it gets. What would you have her do instead, grow it out to bra-length and style it in beachy waves?

by Anonymousreply 47December 12, 2018 6:55 PM

She comes across as having a mean streak.

by Anonymousreply 48December 12, 2018 7:09 PM

How dare that lesbian dress like a lesbian! Doesn’t she know “lesbians” are so twenty years ago!

by Anonymousreply 49December 12, 2018 7:12 PM

R48 describes half the posters on DL.

by Anonymousreply 50December 12, 2018 7:12 PM

& which half do you belong to, R50?

by Anonymousreply 51December 12, 2018 7:22 PM

She likes her drinks.

by Anonymousreply 52December 12, 2018 7:25 PM

I'd say she's a desperate cunt. She's got a strange look in her eyes, and her annoyance is clear when she wants to talk but people keep cheering.

Yep. My balls would withdraw into my chest cavity for protection were we to meet.

by Anonymousreply 53December 12, 2018 7:27 PM

I thought her early standup routines were funny. I loved her sitcom but thought it went downhill after the coming out episode. the supporting cast was great and funny, also. I never liked her talk show, it's just so run of the mill, promoting all these untalented celebs we have today. And the stupid games, the meaningless shallow interviews. Yet all the fraus love the talk show and it gets big numbers. That's par for the course in today's fucked up U.S.

by Anonymousreply 54December 12, 2018 7:36 PM

This is not news.

by Anonymousreply 55December 12, 2018 7:39 PM

[quote]Yet all the fraus love the talk show and it gets big numbers. That's par for the course in today's fucked up U.S.

Gurl, not just the USA.

We have our own Giggling Gertie in England.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56December 12, 2018 7:49 PM

^^ Oh and in fact, very little else.

by Anonymousreply 57December 12, 2018 7:50 PM

The missing question: Why do you dress like a 14 year old boy?

by Anonymousreply 58December 12, 2018 7:55 PM

She;s a walking Venn diagram of cutesy and cunty.

by Anonymousreply 59December 12, 2018 8:06 PM

R58 It's no one's business

by Anonymousreply 60December 12, 2018 11:31 PM

Short hair does not look good on a woman with big ears.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61December 13, 2018 1:36 AM

She looks stressed out.

by Anonymousreply 62December 13, 2018 2:12 AM

Her hair is even shorter than that now, and it makes her ears stand out even more.

by Anonymousreply 63December 13, 2018 4:45 AM

She used to date a good friend of mine who was talked about on here all the time. Ellen cheated on her and was horrible to her. And then gave her a million dollars to go away.

by Anonymousreply 64December 13, 2018 4:53 AM

I don't think anyone around here thinks of E as nice.

R64, if it's the beautiful A, I couldn't not imagine that every lesbian she meets is in love with her.

by Anonymousreply 65December 13, 2018 4:55 AM

R64, you scoundrel! Give us a decent hint!

by Anonymousreply 66December 13, 2018 5:02 AM

R9 isn't that exactly what she does???

by Anonymousreply 67December 13, 2018 5:04 AM

We’ve been saying this for YEARS! She’s an angry person and an ugly drunk. Vile 24/7.

by Anonymousreply 68December 13, 2018 5:05 AM

R66, R65 guessed it. And yes, R65 she is wonderful and a good person. Ellen did her wrong.

by Anonymousreply 69December 13, 2018 5:07 AM

She looks like a young Jeff Sessions in r61’s photo.

by Anonymousreply 70December 13, 2018 5:09 AM

I thought the same as R41. Portia pulled a Vivien Leigh act of epic, burning of Atlanta proportion.

Portia calls Ellen, knowing very well she is in mid-interview with the NYT, to inform of a concussion. WTF? You can’t do anything about a concussion anyway. She wanted to get a reaction from Ellen, demonstrate her importance for the reporter to note, and obviously attention grab. She shows up shortly after, interview still going, and she is apparently fine.

Portia de Drama Queen seems a bit unstable. Speaking as an older lesbian with some experience, it’s familiar. I think Ellen’s biggest problem is Portia. Ellen cares too much about what Portia thinks and seems afraid of losing her. Surely Ellen is not perfect and has her own baggage and shit to work out. Portia seems high-maintenence, not exactly talented, and wants Ellen to quit her show so she can feel better about not achieving nearly as much as Ellen. Ellen doesn’t want to let go of the show because on some level she knows her confidence and self-worth would be diminished, and she needs both so that she is not overcome by Portia’s demands and judgment.

Ellen may be mean to staff and drink too much, I’ve no idea. But she is gifted, pretty damn quick and funny. Her talk show has indeed become padlum for the masses, but don’t forget her stand-up and her very good sitcom, Ellen. And under intense pressure and expection, she pulled that coming out episode off beautifully. The first of its kind. That alone.

by Anonymousreply 71December 13, 2018 5:15 AM

I thought it was off too that Portia accidently got a concussion during Ellen’s interview and then accidently came home during the interview and accidently toldnthe NY times reporter that she was pressuring Ellen to give her up her dream gig.

by Anonymousreply 72December 13, 2018 5:23 AM

R27 if you think about it, she is essentially a supervisor of people, like most big name celebrities. She has to run her own show. Like most, she probably is nice to the ones who do a good job, and not so nice to the ones who don't. These are probably the ones running around complaining. I think it would impossible to be a supervisor nowadays, it would be so hard to pry people off of their damn phones.

by Anonymousreply 73December 13, 2018 5:24 AM

[quote] How come any time a lesbian gets to a certain level of fame or prominence, people start calling her a bitch for no reason at all. We never hear people talk like this about Letterman or straight male hosts that are definitely assholes.

Welcome to the world, Baby New Year!

Here's a hint: A lesbian is also a woman.

by Anonymousreply 74December 13, 2018 6:37 AM

R6 is she a top or bottom?

by Anonymousreply 75December 13, 2018 6:39 AM

I have heard that as well about her R68, how she is a total cunt to guests, staff, etc. once the cameras are off.

by Anonymousreply 76December 13, 2018 6:41 AM

[quote][R64], you scoundrel! Give us a decent hint!

Is it the one who married Jodie Foster? She must have a thing for famous lesbians with money. I mean, what are the chances of someone dating two of the most prominent lesbians in Hollywood unless it's an ambition.

by Anonymousreply 77December 13, 2018 6:52 AM

I think she acts like an asshole to people ON camera. She makes a lot of her guests uncomfortable and has made comments in the past directly to people that made me cringe. Her interview demeanor is off-putting with certain guests where you can tell she's really not engaged or doesn't really like them.

by Anonymousreply 78December 13, 2018 6:54 AM

The bottom line is that she's not funny; a crap interviewer; and a moody dyke. Yet despite all that, she has bulldozed her way to a multimillion dollar fortune and fame. So if that's not some sort of achievement, what is? Persistence is everything, and she clearly has it in buckets.

by Anonymousreply 79December 13, 2018 6:56 AM

She used to be funny. She's gotten a bit meaner over the years. Those games she plays on her show that everyone seems to love seem like torture to me. Like when she gleefully pushes some button the plunges someone down a hole as they beg her not to or when they hang people from ropes or dump water on them. I always think someone is going to get hurt and she'd just laugh and laugh.

by Anonymousreply 80December 13, 2018 6:59 AM

[quote]She used to be funny.

Only to a few desperate lesbians seeking media self-representation.

For most everyone else, her humour was as forced, awkward, and puerile as it has ever been.

by Anonymousreply 81December 13, 2018 7:02 AM

R77, that person was the only one I could think of whose name started with A. If it's her, I don't know why we're all being so cryptic; that relationship was very public.

As an aside, I have a friend who only dates women above a certain income level. She gets very angry if you ask her about it bluntly; she likes to say that she is "attracted to successful women," and the money is incidental. But everyone in her social circle knows what's up. She's living a gay version of that old adage, "It's as easy to love a rich man as a poor man."

by Anonymousreply 82December 13, 2018 7:02 AM

R81, her older comedy specials are funny. Maybe you have other issues with her.

by Anonymousreply 83December 13, 2018 7:24 AM

It's odd they haven't had babies.

Ellen has made it clear she doesn't like them - and clearly, neither does Portia.

by Anonymousreply 84December 13, 2018 7:30 AM

Well then r84, it's not odd that they haven't had babies, now is it?

by Anonymousreply 85December 13, 2018 7:35 AM

OK - unusual, R85.

by Anonymousreply 86December 13, 2018 7:37 AM

Do people watch her show for her or for the celebrities and cheesy antics?

Reminds me of that grumpy old English interviewer who thinks it is all about him and can't hide is disdain for guests (unless it is someone of his vintage or they grovel to him).

by Anonymousreply 87December 13, 2018 7:46 AM

If Ellen doesn't like babies, that in and of itself is the reason she didn't have any. It's not odd or unusual. This isn't 1952, and it's not weird if a woman who doesn't like kids doesn't have kids. Get it?

by Anonymousreply 88December 13, 2018 7:49 AM

[quote]How come any time a lesbian gets to a certain level of fame or prominence, people start calling her a bitch for no reason at all. We never hear people talk like this about Letterman or straight male hosts that are definitely assholes.

Everybody knows Johnny Carson was an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 89December 13, 2018 7:50 AM

I don't think it was Jodie Foster. She wouldn't need a million dollars to go away.

by Anonymousreply 90December 13, 2018 7:51 AM

Also, she's must be in menopause...they have terrible moods.

by Anonymousreply 91December 13, 2018 7:51 AM

R78 so she’s basically another Wendy?

by Anonymousreply 92December 13, 2018 7:52 AM

The woman who married Foster, R90. Apparently, she took one million from DeGeneres after the breakup.

by Anonymousreply 93December 13, 2018 7:53 AM

[quote]If Ellen doesn't like babies, that in and of itself is the reason she didn't have any. It's not odd or unusual. This isn't 1952, and it's not weird if a woman who doesn't like kids doesn't have kids. Get it?

OK. I'll spell it out for you. Very rich homosexual celebrities USUALLY, when they've bought everything that money can buy, GET KIDS. Got it?

by Anonymousreply 94December 13, 2018 8:01 AM

Yawn. Yet *another* thread about Ellen's supposed drinking, nastiness, killing puppies, etc. Surprised posters haven't once again predicted Ellen and Portia's breakup; DL does that every few months.

Poor envious queenies trapped in their sad male cube frau lives. Face it boys: you're never going to be rich, successful, and a loved celebrity. Just kills you doesn't it? lol

by Anonymousreply 95December 13, 2018 8:54 AM

Boring. I was hoping for some real dirt.

by Anonymousreply 96December 13, 2018 9:10 AM

I think she still has a huge get up about being gay, she's not comfortable with it. Watch when she is interviewing a good looking woman, she gets very uncomfortable. That coupled with the trauma she went through when she came out is probably why she's a cunt. Not that it excuses her ill treatment of people though.

by Anonymousreply 97December 13, 2018 9:26 AM

[quote]Poor envious queenies trapped in their sad male cube frau lives. Face it boys: you're never going to be rich, successful, and a loved celebrity. Just kills you doesn't it? lol

I love the meangurls on DL who shriek at people about how mean they are.

by Anonymousreply 98December 13, 2018 9:56 AM

Recent Blind Item said she fired two writers who asked for a raise. Anyone who wants a raise on her show gets sacked.

by Anonymousreply 99December 13, 2018 9:56 AM

I'm not particularly a regular viewer of her show because it tends to be too bland, but it does have its moments.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100December 13, 2018 10:51 AM

Glad I wasn't the only one who thought that, R71 et al.

I'd love to say that makes them unique/quirky but honestly, that kind of drama plays out in every lesbian relationship I've ever seen. Often the butch is really jealous of the femme and it's just a big push/pull.

by Anonymousreply 101December 13, 2018 1:50 PM

Could "A" be Alison La Placa?

by Anonymousreply 102December 13, 2018 2:17 PM

She has mean eyes.

by Anonymousreply 103December 13, 2018 3:18 PM

Sorry to bust everyone's plate, but lesbian world in every city (even mine) is VERY small and tight-knit. It's not that strange that someone would go from one "high profile" partner to another. The number of other lesbians we all know is pretty small to begin with, especially once you exclude the married.

by Anonymousreply 104December 13, 2018 3:47 PM

R100, I've never been a big fan of Ellen, and part of the reason why is because her public persona is oddly sanitized and asexual. So I love that very subtle flirtation starting at 0:38 in your clip; it seems unscripted.

by Anonymousreply 105December 13, 2018 5:03 PM

Never heard a good word about her personally. And you can see the cuntiness often on her show.

by Anonymousreply 106December 13, 2018 5:07 PM

"....as you think she is"

OP, I stopped thinking about her a long time ago and when I did think of this cunt, it wasn't with fondness.

by Anonymousreply 107December 13, 2018 5:10 PM

C'mon Ellen.....LEZ be friends!

by Anonymousreply 108December 13, 2018 5:19 PM

That crazy Anne Heche said Ellen was the best sex she ever had! Ellen must have a super tongue!

by Anonymousreply 109December 13, 2018 5:53 PM

Ellen's youtube video views are very high. They go straight into the millions. No wonder her shows ratings are so high.

by Anonymousreply 110December 13, 2018 6:40 PM

What do the Frauen see in her? This is what fascinates me. Doesn't her audience consist of the straight housewives who are generally uncomfortable with lesbians, in an "Ewww, she might look at me in the changing room!" sort of way?

by Anonymousreply 111December 13, 2018 6:53 PM

She's always giving away things to the audience. That's why she's popular.

by Anonymousreply 112December 13, 2018 6:56 PM

I've heard so many horror stories coming from interns who worked on her show. This doesn't surprise me in the least. I used to like her too.

by Anonymousreply 113December 13, 2018 7:00 PM

I've heard many horror stories about her making a big deal out of "rescuing" dogs and then pawning them off onto others.

by Anonymousreply 114December 13, 2018 7:11 PM

Does she ever do a segment on Michwomyen and Nutloaf Recipes ?

Does she do any segments on Dildo maintenance ?

Does she do any segments on proper vaginal hygiene ?

Does she discuss Flannel apparel and accessories ?

Does she Show how to properly maintain a Subaru ?

If NOT WHAT GOOD IS SHE ?

by Anonymousreply 115December 13, 2018 7:52 PM

spill, R113!

by Anonymousreply 116December 13, 2018 7:53 PM

CHEAP tipper.

by Anonymousreply 117December 13, 2018 8:00 PM

If that's true, R117, then it's disgusting. Imagine rolling in all those Frau millions, yet parsimoniously tipping the waiter 15%. At the very least, doesn't she care about fighting our image as tightwads?

by Anonymousreply 118December 13, 2018 8:15 PM

[quote]CHEAP tipper.

I REALLY doubt it.

by Anonymousreply 119December 13, 2018 8:28 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!