Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Would you date a guy who has weird pets? Like boas, tarantulas, big cats.

Inspired by the post about the hunk who keeps alligators.

by Anonymousreply 24December 12, 2018 11:44 PM

I dated a guy with a pet dodo once.

by Anonymousreply 1December 12, 2018 12:13 PM

Yeh, sure. BUT, they would have to be rescues - for real. No way would I date someone who had some big cat imported over or something weird like that. There is a 'big cat rescue' near my mom's, and they take in cats from freaks who had them as pets then realized they were too much work.

by Anonymousreply 2December 12, 2018 12:14 PM

It is, long-term, a danger sign. My bf had a friend in college who kept a pet tarantula. It accurately foreshadowed what was to come: over the years the tarantula guy became even more bizarre and affected.

by Anonymousreply 3December 12, 2018 12:19 PM

Not big cats. The others, yes. There are millions of abandoned shelter domesticated cats who need homes. Big cats belong in the wild. I think it also demonstrates someone's character like people who own pit bulls.

by Anonymousreply 4December 12, 2018 12:20 PM

Never a guy with snakes and other reptiles.

by Anonymousreply 5December 12, 2018 12:23 PM

No fucking way

by Anonymousreply 6December 12, 2018 12:31 PM

No. No way.

by Anonymousreply 7December 12, 2018 1:35 PM

Nope.

by Anonymousreply 8December 12, 2018 2:12 PM

Of course I would

by Anonymousreply 9December 12, 2018 2:18 PM

No. While there are probably perfectly normal people who have these kinds of pets, it can also reflect an underlying desire to draw attention, shock, or otherwise affirm that the person wants to be seen as outside of "normal" society.

I'd rather not stick around to find out whether the person really is perfectly normal or whether I'm on the menu for the pet boa or python.

by Anonymousreply 10December 12, 2018 2:18 PM

Sure - who's to say he hasn't rescued all these pets?

by Anonymousreply 11December 12, 2018 2:25 PM

I used to keep pet rats, does that count as weird?

They make great pets, much better than hamsters.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12December 12, 2018 2:29 PM

Pets you have to feed live mice or rabbits to, are a deal breaker. There aren't any lovable pets in that category anyway. In the wild, at least the rodent has a chance to escape.

by Anonymousreply 13December 12, 2018 3:41 PM

Absolutely no to šŸ.

by Anonymousreply 14December 12, 2018 3:47 PM

R12, agree. As a kid I had mice, gerbils, hamster and rats (turtles, cat, dog, chameleons, guinea pig) . Rats were the smartest and most interesting by far or the rodents. I love animals- almost anyone who cares for one, one way or another, gets a solid "like" from me. People who do not like animals- kind of turn me away- in general, not a rule.

by Anonymousreply 15December 12, 2018 3:50 PM

No. No and no!

by Anonymousreply 16December 12, 2018 3:51 PM

[QUOTE]I used to keep pet rats, does that count as weird?

Yes, you fucking psycho.

by Anonymousreply 17December 12, 2018 3:57 PM

No to all.

Reptiles are well known to suffer from depression in captivity, and big cats just shouldn't be kept in an enclosure. As for spiders, fuck no.

by Anonymousreply 18December 12, 2018 4:03 PM

Thanks, Redundant Thread Thief!

We couldn't POSSIBLY have given our opinions about this on the alligator thread.

by Anonymousreply 19December 12, 2018 4:14 PM

No. Itā€™s a sign of mental illness.

by Anonymousreply 20December 12, 2018 4:38 PM

Cats would be a dealbreaker. Other animals are fine.

The most psycho dates I've been on have been people overly attached to cats. It's creepy.

by Anonymousreply 21December 12, 2018 5:09 PM

Like I give a shit that a snake is depressed. No!

by Anonymousreply 22December 12, 2018 9:30 PM

[QUOTE]The most psycho dates I've been on have been people overly attached to cats. It's creepy.

Dogs and cats are actual pets. Theyā€™re often like our children. Thereā€™s nothing wrong with being ā€œoverly attachedā€ to them.

by Anonymousreply 23December 12, 2018 11:04 PM

I agree wholeheartedly with R10 and R13.

The hottest woman I ever (briefly) dated had a pet tarantula. She was fully tattooed on her arms and legs, had an ass like an Olympic soccer player, and gave off crazy/dangerous vibes that I found irresistible, in spite of my better judgement. One day, I asked her whether feeding live crickets to the tarantula was uncomfortable (I'm a big lover of not just mammals, but critters in general, which I'd rather carry outside in a glass than squash). She said, "Yeah, one time I fed it a pinkie" ā€• a pinkie is a newborn mouse ā€• "and it was really hard to watch."

I was horrified, to the point where I had trouble interacting with her. I stopped seeing her shortly thereafter. To this day, I remember that conversation better than I remember the sex.

by Anonymousreply 24December 12, 2018 11:44 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!