Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Watch the full, on-camera shouting match between Trump, Pelosi and Schumer

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and Senate Minority Leader Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) clashed Dec. 11 with President Trump over border security, during a meeting in the Oval Office.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47December 13, 2018 10:36 PM

God look at those tiny wee little baby jazz hands. He’s such an orange twat.

by Anonymousreply 1December 12, 2018 4:12 AM

All I see are a lot of grumpy old people shouting at each other.

We need some new blood in our government. I feel like these same people have been arguing about (and doing nothing about) the same things, for the past 30+ years.

I'm over it.

by Anonymousreply 2December 12, 2018 4:18 AM

Oh shut up, R2. Two of those old people kicked the ass of the old idiot whom we all hate. They did exactly what they were chosen to do by voters.

by Anonymousreply 3December 12, 2018 4:20 AM

Pence is in his "happy place", which apparently involves getting spit-roasted by two Dominicans on the beach.

by Anonymousreply 4December 12, 2018 4:20 AM

Doesn't "shouting match" mean everyone was shouting?

by Anonymousreply 5December 12, 2018 4:22 AM

OP, I'm curious.... this event occurred over 12 hours ago, has been reported all day on all media outlets. Yet, you think you are the first person to bring it up on DL, now?

I'm honestly curiously about what your thinking is about starting this thread.

by Anonymousreply 6December 12, 2018 4:23 AM

If you listen to the actual argument R3, it's going nowhere.

Around, and around, and around in circles.

If you just pay attention to what's actually being said, you'll see that they are at an impasse. Neither side will budge, which means that nothing with be accomplished in the next two years.

It seems as though there is only one way that anything can get done in US government nowdays, and that's if one party has control of the executive and legislative branches of government (meaning the Senate and the House). Even more so, now that DUMP is holding the office of POTUS hostage.

Until Democrats are fully in control, government is going to keep spinning its wheels.

by Anonymousreply 7December 12, 2018 4:26 AM

Republicans Consider 'Suicide Mission' On Shutdown And Border Wall

WASHINGTON ― After a White House meeting between President Donald Trump and Democratic leaders turned into a Washington spectacle Tuesday, Republicans on Capitol Hill were suddenly trying to figure out how they could turn Trump’s promises to shut down the government over border wall funding into something other than a suicide mission.

For months now, Republican leaders have privately thought Trump would give up on the wall. They thought he’d hem and haw, as he has in the past, and then reluctantly sign the omnibus spending bill that’s been working its way through Congress all year.

Republicans recognize that Democrats have hardly any incentive to give Trump wall funding, and the Democrats have most of the leverage in this fight. If Trump insists on a shutdown over the wall, Democrats can wait him out, pass a continuing resolution (CR) to fund the affected agencies when they take back the House in January, and then dare the GOP-controlled Senate and Trump to object.

But with Trump indicating Tuesday that he welcomes a shutdown ― and would even be happy to take the credit or blame for one ― Republicans are now reevaluating.

During a meeting with Trump and Vice President Mike Pence, Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) dared Trump to put up an omnibus spending bill with the $5 billion he wants for a wall on the House floor and see if it could pass. Trump thinks it could. Pelosi is confident it wouldn’t, figuring that enough conservatives would balk at the spending increases that GOP leaders would need Democratic votes ― traditionally a good bet with these end-of-year spending bills, which typically draw the opposition of about 60 Republicans.

But GOP leaders are now wondering if there’s something to Trump’s plan. Could House Republicans pass an overarching spending bill ― with wall funding ― with only Republican votes?

“I think we could do it,” a senior GOP aide told HuffPost on Tuesday. “It would be tight but doable.”

The senior aide warned that it would still be “a suicide mission, though, because we either shut down the government or cave and pass a CR into January.”

“Or we pass an omnibus with nothing much for the wall,” the aide added.

House Freedom Caucus Chairman Mark Meadows (R-N.C.) told HuffPost on Tuesday that he thought Republicans could pass the spending package if it contained money for a border wall. “Moderates would be more of an issue on wall funding than the HFC,” Meadows predicted.

Another Freedom Caucus conservative, Raul Labrador of Idaho, who has voted against a number of spending agreements in the past, said he thought conservatives could get onboard with a spending bill if it had wall funding and closed “asylum loopholes.”

“That’s the position the Freedom Caucus took Monday night, at least,” he said.

Republicans seem to believe they could pass the spending bill on their own through a combination of Trump pressure and team spirit. It could be one final diss of Pelosi if the House GOP could come together and prove her wrong, particularly after she seemed to get the better of Trump repeatedly Tuesday.

During the White House meeting ― in front of the press ― Trump said Pelosi wasn’t in a position where she could speak freely about negotiations. Pelosi shot back that Trump shouldn’t “characterize the strength that I bring to this meeting.”

And when Pelosi returned to Capitol Hill, she further skewered the president in a meeting with Democrats.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8December 12, 2018 4:31 AM

Pelosi said the wall was “like a manhood thing” for the president. “As if manhood could ever be associated with him,” she said, according to an aide in the room.

The comments have already been widely reported, and Pelosi almost seems to be goading Trump into a doomed shutdown that he’s already taken the blame for. Schumer particularly got Trump to clarify that, if there was a shutdown, it would be Trump’s doing ― a political gift for Democrats.

But there’s still a good chance Republicans and Democrats come to some small agreement and Congress and the president avoid a shutdown entirely.

While it’s an interesting thought-experiment whether Republicans could pass an omnibus spending bill with only GOP votes, that bill would still need to pass the Senate and its 60-vote threshold. Even if Republicans could peel off a few centrist Democratic votes, they’re unlikely to get enough to muscle it through the Senate and onto the president’s desk. And, at some point, Republicans have to face those facts. They’ve gone down the path before of pretending they can bend Democrats to their will by shutting down the government.

Trying to corral Republicans, many of whom are departing for the holidays and are already missing floor votes, to shut down the government over a wall that Trump had promised Mexico would pay for is a dangerous proposition, one that Republicans would likely lose anyway.

But with Trump suddenly vowing to fight, Republicans aren’t ready to roll over.

According to that same aide in the room, Trump told Pelosi and Schumer that they could go two routes with this meeting: “with a knife or a candy.”

Pelosi responded, “Exactly.”

by Anonymousreply 9December 12, 2018 4:31 AM

Dumpy desperately tried to use his low rent Queens realtor aggression tactics against two of the most experienced high ranking Senators in DC.

A knife or candy. How did they not burst out laughing at him and dangle their keys in front of his face to amuse him.

by Anonymousreply 10December 12, 2018 4:45 AM

Yeah, good luck to Meadows and Labrador on that suicide mission. It’ll be suicide all right.

by Anonymousreply 11December 12, 2018 4:46 AM

What are they arguing about? Mexico is paying for the wall.

by Anonymousreply 12December 12, 2018 4:49 AM

He was just lying, lying, lying, as he always does...why didn't they simply call him a liar, every time he opened his mouth?

by Anonymousreply 13December 12, 2018 5:48 AM

There was a good article on WP about this. It said that it was exactly what Trump wanted, and why it was 17 minutes in front of the cameras, with him belittling Schumer and Pelosi in order to provoke them. And he's asking for stuff that he's going to get some of anyway; there's no "border crisis" (he said the wall was mostly built already!) and so no matter what happens, Trump will declare victory. It's not a real problem, it's a reality television show that Trump wanted. It will make Republicans look bad, but it will make Trump look good to his core base of idiots.

by Anonymousreply 14December 12, 2018 6:04 AM

Yes, according to free republic (I go there so you don’t have to), Trump “owned” Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer today. Damnable idiots.

by Anonymousreply 15December 12, 2018 6:10 AM

Neither Democrat shouted, OP. Idiot.

by Anonymousreply 16December 12, 2018 8:36 AM

R2, see r16.

And add: If you can't see that the two "old people" on the Democratic side just ate Trump's lunch without being "grumpy," you're also a moron.

Not to mention that three people speaking do not constitute "a lot."

by Anonymousreply 17December 12, 2018 8:39 AM

R7, Given the nature of the Republicans in government, be very grateful for an impasse.

Unless you'd prefer a compromise with the Devil?

by Anonymousreply 18December 12, 2018 8:42 AM

I though you were joking OP and that the link would be to an SNL skit.

Why was this (video)taped? Odd that a full discussion, and not an amicable one, would happen in front of the cameras.

by Anonymousreply 19December 12, 2018 8:42 AM

R14, Trump's reported rage afterwards would belie that claim of "just what he wanted," now wouldn't it?

Also, Schumer goaded Trump into the foolish "I'll take the mantle. I'll shut down the government. I'll be proud to shut down the government for national security."

Can you say, "Trump Shutdown"? "Nancy, Nancy, Nancy" thought you could.

Trump lost this one bigly, and on undeniable camera.

by Anonymousreply 20December 12, 2018 8:48 AM

R19, Cameras were at the secret request of Trump. Pelosi and Schumer were supposed to be his pigeons caught off guard.

Instead, "Nancy, Nancy" told him to his face that it's a "Trump Shutdown," catching HIM.

Then "Chuck" riled Trump up enough that he completely, thoroughly, and irrefutably put the kibosh on any Republican plan to blame a stoppage on the Democrats, launching into a petulant puerile "I'll take the mantle!" act of self-immolating bravado.

by Anonymousreply 21December 12, 2018 8:55 AM

Thanks, R21.

by Anonymousreply 22December 12, 2018 8:58 AM

I'd be interested in a link to that Washington Post article that says this was a good thing for Trump. My guess is it was actually an op-ed by a Republican trying to spin what was very obviously not a good outing for Trump. He talked in circles, contradicted himself, Pence look like he was trying to go to his happy place, and Pelosi and Schumer made it clear that the Democrats are going to come out swinging in a couple of weeks.

This is not a good thing for Trump. It made him look foolish.

by Anonymousreply 23December 12, 2018 9:13 AM

Why was the mistress googling Shanann's name in 2017...if the affair was in the summer of 2018..supposedly. Were they fucking all the way back in 2017?

by Anonymousreply 24December 12, 2018 10:50 AM

R24 Sorry wrong thread!! LoL.

by Anonymousreply 25December 12, 2018 10:52 AM

R14 I thought Rump lost that. Who wrote that WaPo piece?

We are used to seeing him ranting so seeing Pelosi and schumer not back down an inch was the win. We saw two peers stand up to him, make him look ignorant, and propose they teach him the legislative pricess by coming up with a better solution.

by Anonymousreply 26December 12, 2018 1:26 PM

It was disappointing that Pelosi and Schumer didn't call out the Trump for his lies. What 10 terrorists? What parts of the wall have been built and where? With the media there it would have been a perfect opportunity. How does he know that a wall would stop terrorists? And the list goes on and on. A perfect opportunity to make Trump look like the fool he is. Say the words to his face: "That, Mr. President, is a lie."

by Anonymousreply 27December 12, 2018 1:37 PM

Trump is more interested in performing on a Reality TV Show than solving issues as the President. He loves the camera more than the well-being country.

by Anonymousreply 28December 12, 2018 1:43 PM

The only people who think that was a good play by Trump are either being paid to say so or are incredibly stupid. He shit the bed and everyone knows it. That's why he hustled the press out of the room so quickly. It was amazing to watch it unfold in real time. What a moron.

by Anonymousreply 29December 12, 2018 1:45 PM

There is, of course, another option for Congress to consider. Republicans could come together with Democrats and say "enough is enough" and vote to override a Trump veto. If he knew that in advance, he'd fold like a card table. Any "power" he currently has is bestowed on him by the Republicans in Congress being chickenshits. The vast majority of the nation would see it as bipartisanship to get something done.

by Anonymousreply 30December 12, 2018 1:51 PM

Trump was a one liner bluster. Sure Pelosi and Schumer could have challenged more in a reality tv format but I think they got across the point about legislation coming up. Not surprised the press was an ambush.

by Anonymousreply 31December 12, 2018 1:54 PM

What's gonna happened when January comes along? Pelosi is right. She has been granted authority straight from Article 1 of the Constitution. But so has Trump. And these ppl do not like each other. I just wished they did something good for the common folk

by Anonymousreply 32December 12, 2018 2:04 PM

Why don't the Dems give Trump precisely what he repeatedly promised. On day 1 of the new Congress pass legislation to immediately fund Trump's wall when and only when Mexico lodge the estimated cost of the wall with the US Treasury.

Tell him "you got what you wanted, you got what you promised. Now, stop blathering and get to work dealmaker Donald."

by Anonymousreply 33December 12, 2018 2:13 PM

Was Faye Dunaway in the on-camera shouting match between Trump, Pelosi and Schumer? I only watch on-camera shouting matches between Trump, Pelosi and Schumer if Faye Dunaway's in them.

by Anonymousreply 34December 12, 2018 2:15 PM

Faye DunGoneAway

Now there’s a “BREAKING...” that’s been long in the making.

by Anonymousreply 35December 12, 2018 3:20 PM

Pelosi didn't shout. She had to raise her voice to be heard. She's an 80 year old woman, probably worked harder than Trump, is smarter and more accomplished than he is, and worked twice as hard to get where she is.

by Anonymousreply 36December 12, 2018 3:23 PM

This is all very good and Chuck Schumer certainly knows what he's doing here.

The last time the Republicans ACTUALLY shut down the government to get what they wanted, it backfired.

Federal employees lost their work and the public blamed the Republicans, who lost seats in the House in '98. It forced Newt Gingrich to resign as Speaker!!!

It took down a Speaker last time, maybe it will take down a President this time!

by Anonymousreply 37December 12, 2018 4:48 PM

Um, I think you're forgetting the 16 days in 2013, r37.

by Anonymousreply 38December 12, 2018 4:53 PM

Idiotic Trump spouting off things that are not real, holding out for something that even the GOP controlled House and Senate will not pass. They were trying to deal with a man who is living in a fantasy world- and when his no-go plan is shown to be impossible even among his party- he careens out of control and says he will shut down the gov't AND take responsibility for doing so. No one can work with him- no one. He's easily the craziest President in American history.

by Anonymousreply 39December 12, 2018 4:58 PM

[post redacted because independent.co.uk thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40December 12, 2018 6:04 PM

Do it.

Fat Donnie owns this and it will bite him on his fat ass. Thugs will rightfully be blamed and the commercials write themselves.

Mueller's gonna keep working anyway.

by Anonymousreply 41December 12, 2018 6:04 PM

"Reporter says Trump 'stormed out' of Oval Office after Pelosi, Schumer meeting"

Los Angeles Times White House correspondent Eli Stokols reported Tuesday that President Trump "stormed out" of the Oval Office after his contentious meeting with Democratic leaders and threw a folder full of papers out of frustration.

“He stormed out of the Oval, walked into an anteroom just off the Oval Office and had in his hand a folder of briefing papers. And he just scattered them out of frustration — threw them across the room," Stokols said on MSNBC's "Hardball," citing his own reporting with White House officials.

Trump met Tuesday with House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi (Calif.) and Senate Democratic Leader Charles Schumer (N.Y.) inside the Oval Office, where they clashed in front of cameras over terms of a government funding bill.

The meeting quickly generated headlines after Trump pledged to shut down the government if he couldn't get funding for a wall along the southern border. He also said he would take the blame for that shutdown if it occurs.

“I am proud to shut down the government for border security, Chuck,” Trump told Schumer. “I will take the mantle. I will be the one to shut it down. I’m not going to blame you for it.”

Stokols also said Tuesday on "Hardball" that Trump was frustrated with Schumer following the meeting.

"His old New York sparring buddy, he felt, got the better of him," Stokols said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42December 12, 2018 6:07 PM

I didn’t say that! Fake News!!! Shallow Chuck Schumer and Nincompoop Nancy Pelosi are standing in my way! The economy is great! I’m great! You’re not! MAGA!

-The next Trump tweet in 3...2...

by Anonymousreply 43December 13, 2018 3:55 AM

This is the WP article, r23

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44December 13, 2018 7:59 PM

Stuff is going to come out about Pence, too. If they impeach Pence and Trump at the same time after January, Nancy Pelosi becomes President of the United States. Btw, if the election votes were deemed illegal, Pence was on the same illegally-gotten votes that were for Trump. Some more stuff to consider!

by Anonymousreply 45December 13, 2018 8:00 PM

Realize that "it made him look foolish" to us, but not to his base, and it gives him what he wants to spin this so he can claim it as a win. When you look at these things he does you have to look at them from different points of view to see what the end result might be. The Dana Milbank article above is pretty good. No one's saying "he won the meeting" or anything, just that he will get what he wants out of it even if the mainstream press thinks it made him look like a boob. Sure, he probably secretly hopes the mainstream press will bill it as a win for him, which is why he's annoyed, but the way he set things up, he will use it to his advantage among a specific portion of the electorate.

by Anonymousreply 46December 13, 2018 8:01 PM

Nice try, R46. Even a lot of deplorables think the wall is a waste of money and that he's stupid for spending any political capital on it. With the revelations today, Republicans now have more cover to start ignoring him.

by Anonymousreply 47December 13, 2018 10:36 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!