Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

2019 SAG Awards thread

Nominations to be announced December 12.

by Anonymousreply 187December 19, 2018 4:32 AM

Gold Derby is still predicting Glenn for the win!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1December 11, 2018 9:29 PM

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role:

Mahershala Ali, “Green Book”

Timothee Chalamet, “Beautiful Boy”

Adam Driver, “BlacKkKlansman”

Sam Elliott, “A Star Is Born”

Richard E. Grant, “Can You Ever Forgive Me?”

by Anonymousreply 2December 12, 2018 2:14 PM

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role:

Christian Bale, “Vice”

Bradley Cooper, “A Star Is Born”

Rami Malek, “Bohemian Rhapsody”

Viggo Mortensen, “Green Book”

John David Washington, “BlacKkKlansman”

by Anonymousreply 3December 12, 2018 2:15 PM

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role:

Amy Adams, Vice

Emily Blunt, A Quiet Place

Margot Robbie, Mary Queen of Scots

Emma Stone, The Favourite

Rachel Weisz, The Favourite

by Anonymousreply 4December 12, 2018 2:16 PM

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role:

Emily Blunt, “Mary Poppins Returns”

Glenn Close, “The Wife”

Olivia Colman, “The Favourite”

Lady Gaga, “A Star Is Born”

Melissa McCarthy, “Can You Ever Forgive Me?”

by Anonymousreply 5December 12, 2018 2:17 PM

Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture:

“A Star Is Born”

“Black Panther”

“BlacKkKlansman”

“Bohemian Rhapsody”

“Crazy Rich Asians”

by Anonymousreply 6December 12, 2018 2:17 PM

Emily Blunt with 2 nominations! Nothing for Ryan Gosling or Ethan Hawke!

by Anonymousreply 7December 12, 2018 2:21 PM

Man early on so many people were expecting Gosling to be the front runner, now he is likely not even to be nominated. He really disappointed.

by Anonymousreply 8December 12, 2018 2:37 PM

Emily Blunt in Supporting is category fraud, she had more screen time than anyone else in that movie.

by Anonymousreply 9December 12, 2018 2:39 PM

It looks like they snubbed two Oscar frontrunners, Ethan Hawke and Regina King. But SAG has aligned less to Oscar than the Hollywood Foreign Press as of recent.

by Anonymousreply 10December 12, 2018 2:45 PM

Surprise nominations:

John David Washington, “BlacKkKlansman” for Lead

Emily Blunt, "A Quiet Place" for Supporting

Margot Robbie, Mary Queen of Scots for Supporting

by Anonymousreply 11December 12, 2018 2:48 PM

Regina was great on 227.

Very understated.

by Anonymousreply 12December 12, 2018 2:48 PM

I just noticed the Regina King snub, that shocks me, she has been considered the front runner to win this category.

by Anonymousreply 13December 12, 2018 2:53 PM

Last year marked the first year since the first ceremony where the eventual Oscar BP winner (Shape of Water) did not get a SAG ensemble nom. The SAGs are simply not the indicator they once were.

by Anonymousreply 14December 12, 2018 2:55 PM

I just checked gold derby and Regina King was their number prediction for this SAG category.

by Anonymousreply 15December 12, 2018 2:58 PM

Haven't seen A Quiet Place but isnt Blunt in it throughout and the main female role?

by Anonymousreply 16December 12, 2018 3:04 PM

[quote]Last year marked the first year since the first ceremony where the eventual Oscar BP winner (Shape of Water) did not get a SAG ensemble nom. The SAGs are simply not the indicator they once were.

But in the 4 individual acting awards last year, they were 4 for 4.

by Anonymousreply 17December 12, 2018 3:06 PM

Emily Blunt WILL NOT BE DENIED

by Anonymousreply 18December 12, 2018 3:06 PM

[quote]Emily Blunt WILL NOT BE DENIED the nominations for which she doesn't have the slightest chance of winning.

Fixed it for you. :)

by Anonymousreply 19December 12, 2018 3:12 PM

So Emily blunt is category fraud twice? She's female lead in both quiet place and marry Poppins her pussy.

by Anonymousreply 20December 12, 2018 3:13 PM

Most satisfying lack of a nomination: Toni Collette

by Anonymousreply 21December 12, 2018 3:16 PM

Well at least for Poppins she is nominated as a lead.

by Anonymousreply 22December 12, 2018 3:16 PM

Outside of Denzel over Casey a few years back, SAG is still extremely accurate when it comes to acting winners. Regina King might prove to be another exception, but that’s it.

by Anonymousreply 23December 12, 2018 3:18 PM

Regina King should have won all kinds of accolades for her performance in Ray all those years ago. I'm also surprised that Michael B. Jordan didn't pick up a supporting nomination for Black Panther. No love for Hugh Jackman either.

OK. The way things are shaping up, I bet the Oscar race is down to Melissa McCarthy and Lady Gaga. Maybe Glenn and Emily Blunt as long shots.

by Anonymousreply 24December 12, 2018 3:24 PM

Complete list. Comedy ladies have to be happy that VEEP filming was delayed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25December 12, 2018 3:26 PM

As for Best Actor Oscar noms? Don't forget Clint Eastwood's movie isn't out yet. Eastwood plays and old man (!) who becomes a drug mule. He is beloved among actors and this may be it for him, so he could at least get a nomination and likely would knock John David Washington out of the top five.

by Anonymousreply 26December 12, 2018 3:28 PM

Maybe the academy will swap out Margot Robbie for Regina King in the Supporting Actress category. But that is the only weak link I see.

by Anonymousreply 27December 12, 2018 3:30 PM

Toni collete loon must be furious

by Anonymousreply 28December 12, 2018 3:42 PM

Boy Erased was erased for good. Sad, the gays are left out like always.

by Anonymousreply 29December 12, 2018 3:49 PM

"Boy Erased" is definitely a movie made by straight people for a straight audience. Not a bad film but the movie isn't really that gay.

by Anonymousreply 30December 12, 2018 3:51 PM

So Gaga getting an Oscar nom seems to be a foregone conclusion now? It seem just months ago it such ridiculous idea. I don’t see her winning though. It’s still a ridiculous idea- for now. 🤪

by Anonymousreply 31December 12, 2018 3:58 PM

R31 is the sky blue? Lol of course Gaga will be up. And for best original song. If she wins best original song early in the telecast you know the Oscar will be going Glenn’s way. The omission of King is surprising. Without a SAG nomination you lose some momentum. This might be beneficial to Amy Adams who’s overdue also. Two overdue actresses might win the Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 32December 12, 2018 4:20 PM

NO Regina King?

by Anonymousreply 33December 12, 2018 4:31 PM

[quote]OK. The way things are shaping up, I bet the Oscar race is down to Melissa McCarthy and Lady Gaga. Maybe Glenn and Emily Blunt as long shots.

I would love for Melissa McCarthy to win the Oscar (if she deserves it). She seems such a likable person. Has anyone seen [italic]Can You Ever Forgive Me?[/italic] yet? How good is she?

by Anonymousreply 34December 12, 2018 4:35 PM

McCarthy is really good in the movie, as is Richard E. Grant. She deserves a nomination, even though I don't think her performance quite has what it takes to actually win.

by Anonymousreply 35December 12, 2018 4:50 PM

IMO the movie is an acting tour de force or Grant and McCarthy. It was really well done. It also makes you fall in love with NYC ...if you are disposed that way.

by Anonymousreply 36December 12, 2018 5:11 PM

Snubs: Ethan Hawke, Regina King, Roma, Nicole Kidman

by Anonymousreply 37December 12, 2018 5:15 PM

Golden Derby has been a good indicator for years now. I’m glad they are putting more and more vids up on YouTube.

I hate that Kidman was snubbed but SAG has never really went for her all that much.

I still don’t think this will cost King much. Everyone said years ago when Bafta didn’t nominate Mellissa Leo that she couldn’t win since no one since Marcia Gay Hardon had one without a bafta nod.

Marcia Gay really set the (more recent) precedent of winning with little to no indicatiors that season. I think they just didn’t want to give it to Kate Hudson so young. They were right not to. She’s gorgeous but her career never rose above rom-coms and she’s burned out. I loved her talking on Howard stern about her she might win an Oscar one day for song writing or something… Maybe so but I’m not holding out for her come back Role.

by Anonymousreply 38December 12, 2018 7:44 PM

Won*

by Anonymousreply 39December 12, 2018 7:45 PM

The movie collapse of Nicole Kidman and Julia Roberts is complete.

by Anonymousreply 40December 12, 2018 7:50 PM

All nicole has is that crappy aquaman movie left, it'll make money but not because of her. Muahahaha.

by Anonymousreply 41December 12, 2018 7:52 PM

I wonder when they will send out screeners of the nominated films to SAG-AFTRA members. Normally these are sent out sooner.

by Anonymousreply 42December 12, 2018 7:55 PM

The nominations have to come out before the screeners go out. They'll be out soon enough now. Producers are discussing which ones are worth sending out. But the films and shows have to be seen and voted on soon since the award show itself is only a little over a month away.

by Anonymousreply 43December 12, 2018 7:58 PM

SNUB: Dave Chappelle, for Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role ([italic]A Star Is Born[/italic])

UNJUST NOMINATION: Sam Elliott, in the same category and movie.

by Anonymousreply 44December 12, 2018 8:06 PM

Nicole was hoping for two movie nominations but got none. Julia also was snubbed for Ben is Black

by Anonymousreply 45December 12, 2018 8:15 PM

"Most satisfying lack of a nomination: Toni Collette"

Why? She's a hell of a lot more talented than some of the people who were nominated (Hi, Margot Robbie!)

by Anonymousreply 46December 12, 2018 8:26 PM

Gaga received the following in the last week...

2 Golden Globe Nominations

5 Grammy Nominations

2 Critics' Choice Movie Nominations

2 SAG Nominations

by Anonymousreply 47December 12, 2018 8:27 PM

Um, no one thought Dave C should be nominated but everyone thought Sam Elliot would.

by Anonymousreply 48December 12, 2018 8:49 PM

Jesus, Ethan Hawke gave the male perf of the year and the Globes and the SAGs both snubbed him. Now I wonder if the Academy will pass too. My gut says he still gets in, but who knows?

by Anonymousreply 49December 12, 2018 10:34 PM

Lady GaGa will be Oscaring twice. I’m so happy for her. This is well deserved and overdue

by Anonymousreply 50December 12, 2018 11:01 PM

If Ethan Hawke gave the performance of the year then it must be a weak year....

by Anonymousreply 51December 12, 2018 11:02 PM

Who decides who gets nominated for a SAG award?

by Anonymousreply 52December 12, 2018 11:49 PM

Ruth Buzzi, R52

by Anonymousreply 53December 12, 2018 11:50 PM

Dave Chappelle's character is nothing more than a device to set up the impromptu wedding. I think Sam Elliott's nomination is well-deserved.

by Anonymousreply 54December 13, 2018 12:02 AM

Glenn will be lucky to win a reheated chicken dinner.

by Anonymousreply 55December 13, 2018 12:15 AM

Gaga has Dolly Parton to contend with for Best Song. Parton has never won and is campaigning HARD for it this time.

by Anonymousreply 56December 13, 2018 12:20 AM

R50, I'm not trying to be snarky, but how do you figure that Lady Gaga is overdue? If she gets in, it would be her first acting nomination.

by Anonymousreply 57December 13, 2018 12:28 AM

Because our Lady GaGa has been entertaining, enlightening, and blessing the world with her talents for ten years. It is time to pay her back for her sacrifices and her beauty which we don’t deserve.

by Anonymousreply 58December 13, 2018 12:56 AM

[quote]As for Best Actor Oscar noms? Don't forget Clint Eastwood's movie isn't out yet. Eastwood plays and old man (!) who becomes a drug mule. He is beloved among actors and this may be it for him, so he could at least get a nomination and likely would knock John David Washington out of the top five.

All movies are "out" as far as nominations are concerned. If the actors love him so much, why no SAG nod?

by Anonymousreply 59December 13, 2018 1:33 AM

[quote]Regina was great on 227.

MAAAAARY!

by Anonymousreply 60December 13, 2018 1:33 AM

Lady Gaga can win an acting Oscar (whether she deserves it or not) if her campaign is played right. Enough of the 100 bottles of Brad on the wall bullshit. It got tiresome the second time she said it. Correct me if I'm wrong, DL showbiz historians, but wasn't Diana Ross a victim of overcampaigning during the 1973 Oscars?

But from having seen her promote the movie, I get the feeling she wants the Oscar enough that she'll overplay it.

by Anonymousreply 61December 13, 2018 1:39 AM

R24 - Regina King deserved a nomination for "Jerry Maguire" as well.

by Anonymousreply 62December 13, 2018 1:58 AM

Glenn is not winning anything. People will turn off The Wife after 30 minutes of boredom.

by Anonymousreply 63December 13, 2018 2:09 AM

R63 30 minutes is being much too generous.

by Anonymousreply 64December 13, 2018 2:13 AM

[quote]Glenn is not winning anything. People will turn off The Wife after 30 minutes of boredom.

She wasn't even great in it. She was good, but not great. Slightly wooden, I'd have said.

by Anonymousreply 65December 13, 2018 2:17 AM

Clint also made one of the worst movies of the year. Not using real actors playing major characters remember ?

by Anonymousreply 66December 13, 2018 2:42 AM

Didn't he have the real people play themselves in the movie?

by Anonymousreply 67December 13, 2018 2:45 AM

Sam Elliott is deserving of his nomination. Dave LaChapelle not so much. Sam conveyed his feelings through intense facial expressions and his sharp delivery of his lines. I am hoping he receives a Oscar nod....

by Anonymousreply 68December 13, 2018 2:47 AM

[quote]Why? She’s [Toni Collette] a hell of a lot more talented than some of the people who were nominated

Because all the chatter about an Oscar nomination for her silly performance in a horrible, cheesy horror movie is just absurd.

by Anonymousreply 69December 13, 2018 3:11 AM

Many will disagree, but I thought The Sixth Sense was a horrible, cheesy horror movie.

by Anonymousreply 70December 13, 2018 3:13 AM

If toni’s Movie had a more conventional ending she may had a chance.

by Anonymousreply 71December 13, 2018 5:24 AM

R70, but it was practically Citizen Kane compared to Hereditary, one of the worst films of the year.

by Anonymousreply 72December 13, 2018 5:28 AM

Gaga is such a terrible actress, I kept waiting for her to look directly at the screen and wink and smile, she was that bad. I fucking hate how much of a star fuckers these award shows have turned into. They used to award excellent performances, now all they do is award the highest box office. Pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 73December 13, 2018 11:09 AM

Gaga played a rock star. Her character had to overcome a lack of confidence and a certain kind of shyness to get out on that stage for the first time and go for it. How hard could that be? I think she deserves a nomination because she did a credible job. But I don't think she deserves to win.

by Anonymousreply 74December 13, 2018 11:27 AM

Gaga did nothing with that role. She was doe eyed throughout and spoke in a soft voice. That’s literally all she did. And lacked any emotion in her eyes.

by Anonymousreply 75December 13, 2018 2:10 PM

She was good but didn't do anything to deserve the win. As if that matters at the oscars. A nomination yes. I havent seen the Favourite but I love Olivia Colman and hope she wins.

by Anonymousreply 76December 13, 2018 2:12 PM

“Boy Erased” was anything but a “gay film”. It wasn’t. It’s a straight film.

Bohemian Rhapsody is more of a gay film than that one was.

by Anonymousreply 77December 13, 2018 2:37 PM

“Boy Erased” should have been nominated for best ensemble cast, what were they thinking?

by Anonymousreply 78December 13, 2018 2:53 PM

“Boy Erased” sucked.

by Anonymousreply 79December 13, 2018 2:57 PM

I hated ASIB but it shouldn't come as a surprise she's getting an acting award. It's not the first time. Admittedly I think it's because people are surprised she was better than they thought she'd be, but the hype around this film is insane.

by Anonymousreply 80December 13, 2018 3:10 PM

I loved the first half of ASIB and loved the music throughout. The second half was rushed and fell apart a bit. Her acting was decent however and deserves a nomination at best.

by Anonymousreply 81December 13, 2018 3:11 PM

The SAG Awards need to go away.

Just like Cable Ace Awards.

by Anonymousreply 82December 13, 2018 3:23 PM

ASIB was good up until the marriage

by Anonymousreply 83December 13, 2018 3:28 PM

I didn't think the chemistry was particularly great between the leads in ASIB, though they were both very good, but not great.

by Anonymousreply 84December 13, 2018 4:22 PM

I thought they had better on screen chemistry than most stuff I've seen in movies. It seemed like a real relationship rather than fake bullshit most movie idealize relationships as.

by Anonymousreply 85December 13, 2018 4:36 PM

I think he would have gone after a hotter looking girl.

by Anonymousreply 86December 13, 2018 7:22 PM

R86 he probably had his share of hot girls. He wanted someone he appreciated for more than looks. Not everything is about looks. That’s immature and shallow.

Sad so many men in their 60s behave like kids. You’re not kids. You’re dying soon.

by Anonymousreply 87December 13, 2018 7:25 PM

I can’t wait for Rami Malek to sweep awards season.

by Anonymousreply 88December 13, 2018 7:25 PM

You don't have to be in our 60s to be shallow: I bet you've turned down folks on Grindr too, even if you are in your 20s or 30s. Probably 70s.

by Anonymousreply 89December 13, 2018 7:27 PM

I’m 31. And of course I have. But there’s and difference between a quick hookup and starting a relationship with someone. You’re crazy if you view a Grindr fuck and what the couple in ASIB had as the same.

by Anonymousreply 90December 13, 2018 7:31 PM

Gaga was fine in ASIB; yes, she and character were talented. I just thought he probably came across more talented AND more hot women than Gaga's character, so while I bought their relationship somewhat, he was more of a 8 or 9 and she was a 7 visually.

by Anonymousreply 91December 13, 2018 7:33 PM

Cooper was far from an 8 or 9 in ASIB.

by Anonymousreply 92December 13, 2018 7:36 PM

Individual tastes may vary.

by Anonymousreply 93December 13, 2018 7:36 PM

They are both a 7 at best in that movie.

by Anonymousreply 94December 13, 2018 7:37 PM

I think they both deserve Oscars for managing to convince us they were attracted to each other.

by Anonymousreply 95December 13, 2018 7:40 PM

But that's it: I didn't believe that attraction that much, even though they spent the movie together. They were both good individually, but their connection wasn't , for me anyway, particularly outstanding chemistry.

by Anonymousreply 96December 13, 2018 7:42 PM

Who is receiving the SAG Life Achievement Award? Historically, the recipient dies within a year or two, i. e. Debbie Reynolds, Mary Tyler Moore, Gloria Stuart, Karl Malden, etc.

by Anonymousreply 97December 13, 2018 7:53 PM

^Shirley Temple, too.

by Anonymousreply 98December 13, 2018 7:55 PM

Alan Alda - doesn't he have early stage Alzheimer's?

by Anonymousreply 99December 13, 2018 7:55 PM

Melissa McCarthy and Richard E. Grant both deserve to win. They were superb.

by Anonymousreply 100December 13, 2018 7:56 PM

I can't imagine Richard E Grant being superb in anything.

by Anonymousreply 101December 13, 2018 7:58 PM

Richard E. Grant is amazing but I don't think it's a supporting role

by Anonymousreply 102December 13, 2018 8:00 PM

Re Clint Eastwood. See "Gran Torino". Not happening.

by Anonymousreply 103December 13, 2018 8:08 PM

R102, Neither is Ali's role in "Green Book".

by Anonymousreply 104December 13, 2018 8:09 PM

Lucy Boynton and Michelle Yeoh are being robbed. They both deserve moms.

by Anonymousreply 105December 13, 2018 10:07 PM

The annual influx of pre-Oscar trolls is almost as annoying as the invasions of the pre-election trolls.

by Anonymousreply 106December 13, 2018 10:07 PM

Where are my SCREENERS?

by Anonymousreply 107December 13, 2018 10:12 PM

And where's Lynn Stairmaster?

by Anonymousreply 108December 13, 2018 10:42 PM

[quote]Didn't he have the real people play themselves in the movie?

Yeah, actors just LOVE having their jobs taken away from them by amateurs.

by Anonymousreply 109December 13, 2018 10:42 PM

[quote]Where are my SCREENERS?

I know, right? What the hell is taking so long.

by Anonymousreply 110December 13, 2018 10:57 PM

Words you will never hear. Best Actress Oscar nominee Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 111December 13, 2018 11:34 PM

Perhaps dear Lady Gaga should have followed Glenn’s example and been fingerbanged in the first 3 minutes of the film to prove the fidelity of her relationship. Or perhaps not.

by Anonymousreply 112December 13, 2018 11:50 PM

For the "best sad sack ensemble performance on youtube" might I suggest...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113December 13, 2018 11:53 PM

I agree R104. I thought he was a lead and he was brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 114December 14, 2018 12:40 AM

Carla Gugino should have been nominated.

Too bad there isn't an award for Best Cast in a TV movie/miniseries for "The Haunting of Hill House".

by Anonymousreply 115December 14, 2018 12:59 AM

Mahershala Ali is phenomenal in Green Book. Oscar worthy for sure.

He’s very talented.

Michelle Yeoh should have been nominated for Crazy Rich Asians. She. Did. Not. Miss. One. Step.

by Anonymousreply 116December 14, 2018 12:59 AM

“The Haunting on Hill House” was terrible. I’m shocked people liked that.

I was bored out of my mind.

by Anonymousreply 117December 14, 2018 1:00 AM

Glenn won the New Mexico film critics and will run with that dubious distinction all the way to last place

by Anonymousreply 118December 14, 2018 1:03 AM

R117 - well, it seems like you have the last word.

(eyeroll)

by Anonymousreply 119December 14, 2018 1:54 AM

I'd nominate Chadwick Boseman, not just for his work in "Black Panther" but as a makeup for playing Jackie Robinson and also, James Brown! rather well in two rather overlooked performances by all awards committees.

by Anonymousreply 120December 14, 2018 2:56 AM

Strange that there's so little controversy about only one woman of color being nominated outside all of the ensemble categories. If this were the Oscars or Globes, there would be huge backlash.

Jada goes after the Oscars when her husband isn't nominated, and the Globes when her co-star wasn't nominated. Does she not like Regina King or something?

by Anonymousreply 121December 14, 2018 4:03 AM

London Standard: ASIB best movie of 2018

#1.) On paper, A Star Is Born should have been a mess. It’s a remake of a well-trodden story, famously done before in 1937 and 1954, 1976. It’s helmed by first-time director Bradley Cooper and features a female lead with no big-screen acting experience. Somehow though, Cooper and Lady Gaga managed to create the most impressive film of the year.

It’s so well put together, it's hard to believe it was in development hell for years, with Clint Eastwood originally intending to direct the project and Beyonce set to star in 2011. Cooper and Gaga, who actually became attached to the project at a relatively late stage, strike an immediate and convincing chemistry, with the viewer believing every affectionate look, every embrace and every performance. Lady Gaga in particular is remarkable, a true natural showcasing boundless talent throughout. The soundtrack is stunning too, and surely the favourite for the Academy Award next year.

It’s a moving story deftly told, mixing life-affirming beauty with gut-wrenching tragedy. A Star Is Born is an incredible directorial debut from Cooper, and the standout cinematic triumph of the year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122December 14, 2018 6:09 AM

AP: Lady Gaga has one of 2018's top movie moments

2018′s top movie moments, from ‘Shallow’ to ‘The Shining’

ALLY TAKES THE STAGE IN "A STAR IS BORN"

Surely literal goosebumps are a good sign that you've just seen a pretty stunning movie moment. That's what happens every time I watch the electric "Shallow" scene in "A Star Is Born," and, specifically where Lady Gaga's Ally takes a deep breath and walks out on stage to join Bradley Cooper's Jackson Maine and sing her song in front of thousands of people.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123December 14, 2018 6:10 AM

2018′s top movie moments, from ‘Shallow’ to ‘The Shining’

ALLY TAKES THE STAGE IN "A STAR IS BORN"

Surely literal goosebumps are a good sign that you've just seen a pretty stunning movie moment. That's what happens every time I watch the electric "Shallow" scene in "A Star Is Born," and, specifically where Lady Gaga's Ally takes a deep breath and walks out on stage to join Bradley Cooper's Jackson Maine and sing her song in front of thousands of people.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124December 14, 2018 6:11 AM

Jada is a stupid cunt who only cares about herself and her fake gay husbands fame.

by Anonymousreply 125December 14, 2018 6:51 AM

And she's talked about more on DL than anywhere else.

by Anonymousreply 126December 14, 2018 7:00 AM

[quote]A Star Is Born is an incredible directorial debut from Cooper, and the standout cinematic triumph of the year.

They cannot be serious.

by Anonymousreply 127December 14, 2018 12:43 PM

The scene where Gaga takes the stage IS amazing. I went to see it with my sister and we both got goosebumps.

by Anonymousreply 128December 14, 2018 11:43 PM

That’s the only good scene.

by Anonymousreply 129December 14, 2018 11:48 PM

R129 No it's not.

by Anonymousreply 130December 15, 2018 12:07 AM

Our standards are so low that when someone does a competent job we celebrate them as if they discovered gold. It's sad, really. I attribute it to our lower educational standards and a lack of cultural literacy in this country. Combined with way too much reverence for commercial spectacles and box office receipts. A Star is Born was a good movie, OK? Bradley Cooper did a competent job of directing it...with a lot of help.Because you hire good people and let them do their jobs and you try to make good choices, and if you're lucky it all works out. But he is not the Second Coming, and actually I found his acting way better than he's ever been in the past. So I won't begrudge him his Best Actor nomination. But GaGa should have not got any nomination. She basically played aversion of herself, and I did not find her"love" for Cooper in any way believable. She was grateful to him, felt obligated to him, but I never believed for a minute he was the love of her life.

by Anonymousreply 131December 15, 2018 12:07 AM

A skank is born will be forgotten after awards season, yawn.

by Anonymousreply 132December 15, 2018 12:11 AM

"I attribute it to our lower educational standards and a lack of cultural literacy in this country."

More people have college degrees than ever. I didn't even like the movie but you sound like a reactionary.

by Anonymousreply 133December 15, 2018 12:12 AM

More people may have college degrees but look at some of the curriculum taught now.

A degree does not make one smart.

by Anonymousreply 134December 15, 2018 12:14 AM

Bradley Cooper is a terrible actor who got his big break spouting homophobia in a POS frat boy movie.

Why isn't that gay Jada Pinkett wannabe throwing a fit over that?

by Anonymousreply 135December 15, 2018 12:16 AM

Nothing was more odious to me than the hoopla and the marketing of LaLa Land. Who remembers that stinkbomb now and who is still talking about Ryan Gosling or Emma Stone's performance.

by Anonymousreply 136December 15, 2018 12:16 AM

Well, they had that Oscar snatched right out of their hands, thanks to co-conspirators Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway. :)

by Anonymousreply 137December 15, 2018 12:18 AM

"Why isn't that gay Jada Pinkett wannabe throwing a fit over that?"

She's not a white fratboy so I doubt she's even seen it. People here just hate her because she's black and a liberal - double trouble to the Trumpsters.

by Anonymousreply 138December 15, 2018 12:22 AM

What is the frat boy movie?

by Anonymousreply 139December 15, 2018 12:25 AM

The Hangover, r139.

by Anonymousreply 140December 15, 2018 1:33 AM

[quote]The scene where Gaga takes the stage IS amazing.

Was that the scene where she sings "Woman in the Moon"?

by Anonymousreply 141December 15, 2018 2:46 AM

Wet Hot American Summer was funnier than The Hangover(s) and BC was a gay delight. IMO.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142December 15, 2018 2:52 AM

The WHAS Netflix series was great.

by Anonymousreply 143December 15, 2018 2:59 AM

Thank you, R134.

by Anonymousreply 144December 16, 2018 1:32 PM

Cooper was good in Wet Hot American Summer because he played himself

by Anonymousreply 145December 16, 2018 2:50 PM

Gaga's performance wasn't in the same league with Olivia Colman or Melissa McCarthy.

by Anonymousreply 146December 16, 2018 10:20 PM

Not again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147December 16, 2018 11:15 PM

R131 he believed in her

by Anonymousreply 148December 16, 2018 11:25 PM

Glenn is just not very likable. She always has seen like an aloof ninny, kind of out of it.

by Anonymousreply 149December 17, 2018 12:47 AM

R149 I 'm not convinced it has anything to do with Glenn's "likability." I think she refuses to play the game and insist her agency campaign for her. That takes time and money. It's a real investment. She seems aloof from the whole Hollywood thing. Maybe I'm wrong but that's how I perceive it. She gets nominated but she's not part of the fray.

by Anonymousreply 150December 17, 2018 1:18 AM

I think she really want to win, but when she takes into account all the great movies and theater productions she's been a part of in her career, it's not like she lacked that many opportunities. Yes, Meryl has 3 Oscars and probably had first pick of the roles before some were offered to Glenn, but Glenn, unlike Meryl, has 3 Tonys and has had a substantial stage career and tv career, unlike Streep,.

by Anonymousreply 151December 17, 2018 1:28 AM

Streep is doing her first TV series with Big Little Lies. I hope she doesn’t ruin it.

by Anonymousreply 152December 17, 2018 1:31 AM

She is way too out of the movie game to win, plus The Wife is a bore. She will be lucky to be nominated and she will watch Lady Gaga win since she is not likable. Poor Glenn, always forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 153December 17, 2018 1:33 AM

You know Gaga could go down in flames the same way Michael Keaton did. He was the frontrunner...until he lost to Eddie Redmayne. IMO This year it's going to come down to Melissa Mc Carthy .

by Anonymousreply 154December 17, 2018 1:39 AM

Glenn's not going to be ignored!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155December 17, 2018 2:50 AM

Tell you what, and I admit I haven't seen all the movies, but I did see A Star is Born and Can You Ever Forgive Me? Lady GaGa and Emily Blunt are going to have some serious competition. There's just no way either of those two can waltz in and snatch a Best Actress award off the table.

I saw Green Book. No way is Mahersala Ali a Best Supporting Actor. He is the Lead. Viggo's performance was stereotypical, overly broad and an imitation of what some East Coast Italian night club bouncer would do. He was just wrong for that part. Too bad because he is a good actor and I like him. But Ali was powerful, tormented, amazing. Brilliant job.

by Anonymousreply 156December 17, 2018 2:16 PM

Category fraud happens all the time though. Just look at Viola Davis or Alicia Vikander.

by Anonymousreply 157December 17, 2018 2:38 PM

Viola Davis was 100% supporting.

by Anonymousreply 158December 17, 2018 2:39 PM

Shes in so much of the movie. Almost as much as Denzel.

by Anonymousreply 159December 17, 2018 4:17 PM

I agree with you R159. IMO Viola was a lead actress, in Fences.

by Anonymousreply 160December 17, 2018 4:24 PM

Screen time doesn’t equal whether you’re lead or supporting. It’s about the role you play. The story was never ever about her until the final moments. She was there to continue telling HIS story. Not her own.

by Anonymousreply 161December 17, 2018 7:22 PM

R161 So Vikander isnt fraud even though shes in the movie more than Redmayne because her character is supportive? Bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 162December 17, 2018 7:46 PM

That would be a Supportive role. Supporting role is/should be about screentime -- even if it's only one well done scene.

by Anonymousreply 163December 17, 2018 7:48 PM

R162. No. Vikander was lead. The film is as much about her as it is about him.

That’s not the case with Fences. Almost the entire film is about him. She’s just his wife there dealing with his shit.

by Anonymousreply 164December 17, 2018 7:52 PM

I always thought Frieda Pinto was robbed for RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES

by Anonymousreply 165December 18, 2018 2:35 AM

She's also reacting to him throughout the film too, and in the word "reacting' is that little word "acting". It's a lead role.

by Anonymousreply 166December 18, 2018 2:37 AM

There's a very short video of Steven Webber out there, but I'm surrpised in this age of cameras nothing so far, other than a few photos of Sam Harris, which are kind of rare nowadays too.

by Anonymousreply 167December 18, 2018 2:38 AM

Is the nudity in "Choir Boy" up there with "Take Me Out"?

by Anonymousreply 168December 18, 2018 2:39 AM

You know this debate is endless. I remember when Brokeback Mountain was getting all those nominations, a lot of people felt Jake was a leading role too. But Heath took leading and Jake took supporting. I agree with those who feel Viola is a lead in Fences.

by Anonymousreply 169December 18, 2018 2:40 AM

I never saw that transgender movie and I’m a major Oscar freak. I can’t even think of the title righ now. The Danish Girl ?

by Anonymousreply 170December 18, 2018 2:41 AM

I finally won my Oscar. I would have to wait forever for honky to give me one for lead. I can’t do my snotty routine forever !

by Anonymousreply 171December 18, 2018 2:43 AM

[quote]I agree with those who feel Viola is a lead in Fences.

I seem to recall that some people here felt Viola and the studio made a mistake because she might actually have beaten Emma had she gone lead. But they just didn't have enough confidence and went with supporting instead.

by Anonymousreply 172December 18, 2018 3:19 AM

Glenn has been telling friends she is okay with losing. There can be 100 people in the room but it only takes one to believe in you.

by Anonymousreply 173December 18, 2018 3:22 AM

How much are the Oscar awards going to be determined by the need to keep the viewers invested in watching the show? Ratings for Oscars are down and they can't even get a decent host anymore. They really need to get viewers excited and invested in watching the show again - this might be why ASIB could sweep all the major categories- Film, Director, Actor and Actress. When was the last time that happened?

ASIB is popular and Gaga is popular - at this point, it probably has less to do with who deserves it instead of who can generate the most buzz with the viewers.

by Anonymousreply 174December 18, 2018 6:34 AM

Gawd, you know gagag is going to be fake crying like an imbecil when they announce her name. Can't wait to roll my eyes at her fakeness.

by Anonymousreply 175December 18, 2018 12:05 PM

Okay, Hagdonna @ r175.

by Anonymousreply 176December 18, 2018 12:18 PM

Oh, Gaga will get her nomination, no doubt in my mind. BUt I'm not convinced she will win.

I think one reason the Oscar ratings are down is because there a re too many damned awards shows and very little suspense any more. You have the Producers Guild, the SAG Awards, the Critics Choice, the Golden Globes, and gods know what else now all happening before the Oscars. and even more important, they are all televised now. SAG gave out awards but they weren't televised before. Back when it was just the Globes and the Oscars it was better.

by Anonymousreply 177December 18, 2018 12:21 PM

I never heard or read that Bette Davis blamed Anne Baxter for possibly costing her the Oscar for "All About Eve" by insisting on also being nominated in the Best Actress category.

by Anonymousreply 178December 18, 2018 12:26 PM

The 2019 Oscar for Best Actress belongs to Melissa McCarthy.

by Anonymousreply 179December 18, 2018 12:27 PM

What about Olivia Colman?

by Anonymousreply 180December 18, 2018 1:20 PM

ASIB isn't THAT popular, Bohemian Rhapsody's box office dwarfs it.

by Anonymousreply 181December 18, 2018 1:25 PM

Still hoping “Boy Erased” gets a best picture Oscar nomination...fingers crossed!

by Anonymousreply 182December 18, 2018 3:08 PM

[quote]I think one reason the Oscar ratings are down is because there a re too many damned awards shows and very little suspense any more. You have the Producers Guild, the SAG Awards, the Critics Choice, the Golden Globes, and gods know what else now all happening before the Oscars. and even more important, they are all televised now. SAG gave out awards but they weren't televised before. Back when it was just the Globes and the Oscars it was better.

No, because those most unpopular movie wins every year. I mean, who really remembers last years best picture movie?

by Anonymousreply 183December 18, 2018 3:10 PM

About Fences, didn't Viola get the Tony for lead actress when she played it on Broadway?

by Anonymousreply 184December 18, 2018 6:15 PM

R184 yes. But her role was more fleshed out for the play. They changed some things for the film.

by Anonymousreply 185December 18, 2018 6:19 PM

Original production of Fences actress playing same role won featured Tony. Then again Tony gets screwy with their awards also...

by Anonymousreply 186December 18, 2018 6:56 PM

Mary Alice, the original Tony winner for FENCES, was really brilliant, one of the most memorable dramatic performances I've seen on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 187December 19, 2018 4:32 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!