Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Migrate from iOS to Android? Please weigh in.

With Christmas coming up I’m toying with the idea of leaving the iPhone/iPad/smart watch and going Android.

I already have Google Home Assistant and the max and home speakers. Hard transition for the phone and watch? Would my husband be happy or irritated if Santa gifted us with a suite of Android stuff?

by Anonymousreply 3December 13, 2018 1:50 AM

Why on earth would you do that?

Interest in viruses? Flaky upgrades? Less stability?

by Anonymousreply 1December 11, 2018 7:27 PM

Bump. I guess nobody on the DL has done this?

by Anonymousreply 2December 13, 2018 1:41 AM

Both platforms are equally mature and stable . Both have relatively equal attack surface (risk of infection) if you install random applications. The challenge has long been with the applications available on either Google Play or Apple’s App Store. The reality is an app can be approved and securitiy risks discovered months or years later.

The Android platform has an outstanding built in security framework based on the Linux kernel’s. When it’s correctly used, it’s solid as hell. This is vendor and hardware dependent and some of the cheap ones suck toilet swell. Some of the expensive ones screw up the security configuration to make their performance look more dazzling at the cost of security.

Apple likes to create planned obsolescene so you’re kicked off the cool kids bus every 3 years. Oh nothing quite so gauche as dropping the operating system. It’s just the apps stop updating for that platform/iOS combo.

There are apps on Google Play that make it relatively eas(ier) to move from Apple to Android. It’s the important stuff, like getting your email and contacts migrated but it’s still going to be work to find all the apps and equivalents.

by Anonymousreply 3December 13, 2018 1:50 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!