Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

NYPD yanks baby from mother's arms in Brooklyn social services office

A video that shows police officers trying to remove a woman’s 1-year-old son from her grasp as they arrested her in a Brooklyn food stamp office ignited a fury on social media and prompted calls on Sunday for an explanation from the police. A Facebook user who uploaded the video said the police had been called on Friday after the woman, identified by the police as Jazmine Headley, 23, sat on the floor of the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program office in Boerum Hill because there were no available chairs.

After a verbal dispute with a security guard, someone called the police, according to Nyashia Ferguson, who posted the video. It begins with Ms. Headley lying on the floor, cradling her son and yelling, “They’re hurting my son! They’re hurting my son!” A female sergeant and three police officers, two of whom appear to be women, surround Ms. Headley and attempt to pull the child away. Then one officer, her back facing the camera, repeatedly yanks the child in an apparent attempt to separate him from his mother.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173December 17, 2018 1:10 PM

I can tell you that the very vast majority of police have no common sense. They are legitimately stupid, and added to that a good number are insecure people on power trips. I should know, my brother is a cop.

by Anonymousreply 1December 10, 2018 11:20 PM

Monsters. Incompetent, unprepared. Fire them and then incarcerate them.

by Anonymousreply 2December 10, 2018 11:21 PM

Honey she ain’t giving up that meal ticket without a fight!

Of course now grandma has it and she’s in jail.

Daddy no where to be fount.

by Anonymousreply 3December 10, 2018 11:23 PM

Why scare a baby? They can de-escalate the situation. This was truly awful - grownups aside, think of the poor kid whose arms were being painfully stretched. The child deserves a trust fund which can't be touched by her family, administered by an outside attorney.

by Anonymousreply 4December 10, 2018 11:54 PM

R3 I know people whose white dads ran off on them. Shut the fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 5December 10, 2018 11:55 PM

[quote]They can de-escalate the situation.

American cops never ever do in just about every situation.

by Anonymousreply 6December 11, 2018 12:19 AM

The ridiculous thing is, they would have treated this woman better had she barricaded the doors and taken hostages. The NYPD would have sent out a trained negotiator to actually TALK to the woman and ask what she needed.

NYPD Negotiator to woman: "Let me get this straight: They called the cops because [italic]you sat on the FLOOR?[/italic] [Places hand over receiver] "Doug, is that true? You called us out here because she sat on the floor? The fucking FLOOR?"

["Doug" nods]

NYPD Negotiator: "Ma'am, I'm really sorry this happened to you. This Doug guy is an asshole. If you let the hostages go and you come out peacefully, I'm gonna personally recommend to the DA you don't get any charges."

Ridiculous she gets treated worse than some asshole hostage-taker, all because she needed to sit down.

by Anonymousreply 7December 11, 2018 12:21 AM

So she’s still being held in Riker’s Island without bail. This country really hates the poor.

by Anonymousreply 8December 11, 2018 12:27 AM

If I was a brown person in this country, there's no way I'd hand my baby over to a government official.

by Anonymousreply 9December 11, 2018 12:35 AM

My baby was taken by Canadian Social Services 10 years ago because my husband and I were fighting; children should not be exposed to violence.

by Anonymousreply 10December 11, 2018 12:42 AM

^^ Justin Trudeau

by Anonymousreply 11December 11, 2018 12:47 AM

I work for NYC HRA and the Commissioner, Steve Banks, is very upset this happened, but more upset that it was exposed.

by Anonymousreply 12December 11, 2018 12:48 AM

R12 Thats surprising he’s upset it was exposed. He should have expected it. NOTHING in public stays hidden. Geez everyone has a cell phone. They said multiple people were recording it.

by Anonymousreply 13December 11, 2018 1:07 AM

This all stops at the mayor. After letting the cops off scot free for murdering Eric Garner when they turned their backs on them, he has let them run wild and this is just one of many incidents to show this. He's spineless and has allowed the city to turn into a police state with no pushback. In fact, the mayor is so up their asses that he approved of hiring 1300+ extra cops just a year after Garner and Akai Gurley were murdered by police. Absolutely disgusting. De Blasio may think that supporting the cops will help his political ambitions, but these incidents will bite him in the ass further down the line. If there was any justice in this world, he'd have been indicted when the feds and/or the state had the chance. Despicable.

by Anonymousreply 14December 11, 2018 1:11 AM

Why is social media pretending this woman is a saint?

What happened was horrendous but why did she let it escalate?

Cut the shit.

by Anonymousreply 15December 12, 2018 10:56 AM

This woman has a criminal record and has been living off the govt (dumb taxpayers) all of her life. She will now be looking for a big pay out from NYC (again from dumb taxpayers) and spend the money on weaves, nail salons, and Applebees. I guarantee you that she will NOT put the money in an account for her daughter's future education to break the chain of poverty. She will probably have more children from different men and return to the same HRA office for more govt benefits in the future.

by Anonymousreply 16December 12, 2018 11:25 AM

She was told to get off the floor. She refused. That's where the problem begins and ends. No respect for rules or authority. She didn't give a shit about her kid if she let the situation get this far.

by Anonymousreply 17December 12, 2018 11:32 AM

The guy who runs the Brooklyn Defenders' office is acting like a hysterical stunt queen over it on Twitter.

This all feels like a bunch of bullshit. If it was, say, an Asian woman refusing to get off the floor of the social services office clutching her child, we'd rightly assume she has emotional problems.

Social media acts like this poor woman is mother of the year minding her own business and that this was all the fault of the NYPD.

Who the hell out there is making sure that child is supported in her home?

by Anonymousreply 18December 12, 2018 11:38 AM

The cops are supposed to be the professionals. She can be insane, dangerous, unstable- it is still their job to handle the situation safely. If this is the best they can do, they should find another line of work. Sadly, R1 is correct and I have the friends, family and acquaintances to prove it. The NYPD has some great officers but they’ve got far too many losers and idiots as well. The real problem is that very often it’s the ass-kissers and the rats who rise in the ranks, regardless of actual experience or intelligence. I know plenty of smart and decent veterans who never get promotions because they have actual morals and loyalty. Those qualities won’t get you far in the NYPD, but fucking bosses will.

by Anonymousreply 19December 12, 2018 11:53 AM

HOLY FUCK! IF THIS country doesn't fix this shit right quick I'm gonna lose it!!

by Anonymousreply 20December 12, 2018 12:26 PM

GTFO OF HERE R18. Bumfuck hick. Race isn't a factor, you rube. Know who is going to be supporting her ass? The taxpayers when she gets her rightful settlement! Suck my dick!

by Anonymousreply 21December 12, 2018 12:36 PM

Threads like this are useful for blocking racist POS like r16

by Anonymousreply 22December 12, 2018 12:36 PM

She was told she couldn't sit on the floor and refused to get up. She was asked to leave and refused. Cops were called and when they arrived, she still refused. When they tried to physically get her up, she clutched her baby and refused. I'd say she is to blame in large part for what happened. Guarantee she's looking for--and will receive--a payout. That's a big reason for why we see so much of this behavior.

by Anonymousreply 23December 12, 2018 12:38 PM

She had to be in court in NJ this morning for credit card theft. She is a crook and a grifter who the taxpayers will be supporting forever.

by Anonymousreply 24December 12, 2018 12:48 PM

All over petty shit. It's a rule here in NY. Calling the cops on ANYONE and you risk the chance of signing their death certificate. Don't wanna hear people bitching about hundreds of $ to repair their front end when they hit a pothole come Spring. THIS is where our tax dollars for infrastructure is going. No pension for these fuckers!

FIX YOUR COP PROBLEM AMERICA

by Anonymousreply 25December 12, 2018 12:52 PM

Don't care R24. It's a baby, you rube.

by Anonymousreply 26December 12, 2018 12:53 PM

^^ Al Sharpton, filling a suitcase with money.

by Anonymousreply 27December 12, 2018 12:54 PM

I don't care if she's Oscar Hartzell himself, r24 / et al. Cops need to deescalate these types of situations.

by Anonymousreply 28December 12, 2018 12:55 PM

Thugs with guns

by Anonymousreply 29December 12, 2018 12:55 PM

Just let her sit on the floor FFS! Why is that such a big deal they had to call the cops?

by Anonymousreply 30December 12, 2018 1:00 PM

Shooting innocent pups and pulling a baby's ligaments. That's the uneducated NY cops for you. Then they wonder why their dating pool is a puddle when they're out among us.

FIX YOUR PROBLEMS AMERICAN CITIZENS!

by Anonymousreply 31December 12, 2018 1:05 PM

R30 Because the people who work in these offices have probably had it up to HERE with the savage, ignorant trash they have to deal with, all day, every day.

It was the office security guard who called NYPD, when Saint Food Stamp disobeyed him.

by Anonymousreply 32December 12, 2018 1:07 PM

You know damn well why, R30. Look at our resident trolls with their "she's just an ignorant thug who steals our hard-earned money for weaves" attitude -- that's what a lot of people, especially in the age of Trump, believe. They're resentful of everything and everyone because politicians and the media tell them to be, and they're lemmings so they just buy into what "authority figures" tell them.

Then they crab 24/7 on the internet about people deserving to be abused by cops because THEY didn't immediately do what an "authority figure" told them to do.

That it was something as minor as sitting on the floor doesn't matter to them.

by Anonymousreply 33December 12, 2018 1:09 PM

[quote]Thugs with guns

[quote]She will now be looking for a big pay out from NYC (again from dumb taxpayers) and spend the money on weaves, nail salons, and Applebees. ... She will probably have more children from different men and return to the same HRA office for more govt benefits in the future.

[quote]Honey she ain’t giving up that meal ticket without a fight!

[quote]Guarantee she's looking for--and will receive--a payout. That's a big reason for why we see so much of this behavior.

[quote]Al Sharpton, filling a suitcase with money.

[quote]the people who work in these offices have probably had it up to HERE with the savage, ignorant trash

Jesus. Fix your shit, Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 34December 12, 2018 1:13 PM

Exactly R33. Contributing to racial tensions making life hell for the rest of us while they type like the sheep on the farm across the street in bumfuck flyoverville.

by Anonymousreply 35December 12, 2018 1:15 PM

Did I just see an american baby take a hit?

by Anonymousreply 36December 12, 2018 1:18 PM

r34 F&F them into oblivion.

by Anonymousreply 37December 12, 2018 1:19 PM

What was she arrested for, felony name misspellation?

by Anonymousreply 38December 12, 2018 1:36 PM

I agree there should have been deescalation.

The child suffered.

But the idea we are supposed to adhere to this fiction that she was "just sitting on the floor."

She refused to obey orders and used her own son as a shield against the police. She tried to weaponize her own child to keep from getting arrested. (Again.)

And these idiots are cheering her on on Twitter like she is Mother Teresa.

by Anonymousreply 39December 12, 2018 2:45 PM

I just don't understand why we are supposed to pretend she isn't most likely a vulnerable, troubled, volatile person.

Making her into an Internet celebrity victim is insanity.

She's clearly got a major screw loose.

Pretending this was all the fault of racist cops seems foolish.

The narrative should be "the cops should not make things worse when someone acts nuts "

by Anonymousreply 40December 12, 2018 2:56 PM

I like the professional, official peace keeper who whipped out his taser and waved it about indiscriminately, like C'mon! I wanna stun ya! Each of these cops was 100% wrong in the way they handled this situation. The one yanking the baby absolutely DID NOT CARE that she yanked the fuck out of a living human baby. That baby was like a tug o' war rope to her, she was yanking to WIN. I do not give one single fuck if the mother of this baby was Lady Hitler herself, the BABY was harmed as PUNISHMENT. Four cops could bodily lift and carry this woman out of the room while she holds her baby, no problem. They chose to assault an infant. BAD COP, NO DONUT! They should all be fired and sued individually. The slew of racist fuck face comments beginning at 16 should do us all a favor and go fuck themselves right now.

by Anonymousreply 41December 12, 2018 3:24 PM

More fun & games, black guy vs Miami Beach cop. Make sure the sound is turned on.

You jump up in a cop's face, you go down.

Sorry, but a lot of American blacks seem to have a very big problem with authority figures.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42December 12, 2018 4:27 PM

What was nuts? Sitting on the floor?

by Anonymousreply 43December 12, 2018 4:43 PM

she had been standing for 4 hours I read. THAT'S why she sat on the floor. Cops being called was unnecessary.

by Anonymousreply 44December 12, 2018 4:51 PM

What terrible people there are in the world and on this thread. The woman in question had a job. It was low paid and it didn’t cover all of her living expenses, but she did work. Her child care benefit was unexpectedly and probably inappropriately cut off. She took a day off from work to get the situation fixed. She was forced to stand for hours holding her baby in her arms because they didn’t have chairs and customer service for poor people is basically non existent. She became exhausted eventually and sat on the floor. For that she was assaulted, incarcerated and her baby abused.

by Anonymousreply 45December 12, 2018 4:54 PM

Yet everyone else there were able to stand, r45. She was asked not to sit on the floor by 1) staff 2) the security guard and then 3) the police. She chose not to comply with anyone.

by Anonymousreply 46December 12, 2018 4:59 PM

What in the blue hell was she doing rolling around on the floor with the baby? She looks a mess.

by Anonymousreply 47December 12, 2018 5:05 PM

Who the hell cares if she was sitting on the floor? If they didn't have enough chairs. Her being ordered to stand is cruel and then calling the cops on her just shows whoever was working there had a power trip and should be fired.

Everyone who is focusing on the fact that she refused to stand is willfully ignoring the fact that she shouldn't have been asked in the first place. So she defied a foolish command designed to put her in her place?

Honestly some of you are ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 48December 12, 2018 5:08 PM

R48, it was a crowded room. Sitting down in a crowded place is dangerous.

by Anonymousreply 49December 12, 2018 5:12 PM

Not if she wasn't blocking an exit. I'd say having a crowded room in general is more dangerous.

by Anonymousreply 50December 12, 2018 5:14 PM

You don't need to block an exit to be in the way in a crowded place. If you are impeding people from easily moving then you are a nuisance.

Sure, r50, they should have sent half of those people home. That would mhave solved the crowding issue.

by Anonymousreply 51December 12, 2018 5:18 PM

R45 To think all of that could have been avoided if the baby daddy supported them, like he should.

by Anonymousreply 52December 12, 2018 5:45 PM

The baby daddys in these situations either are not around, they're in prison, or they don't have any funds for child support. These aren't nice middle-class people you're dealing with here.

by Anonymousreply 53December 12, 2018 5:57 PM

r50 nice try, Concern Troll

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54December 12, 2018 6:29 PM

I don't think you know what a concern troll is, r54. I'm not the least bit concerned. You, however, seem to not like facts.

by Anonymousreply 55December 12, 2018 6:33 PM

r55 you're exactly like the posters who defend Kevin Hart, where you try to pretend like the REAL concern is "people's safety" rather than the obvious problem of putting a black woman in her place. You aren't as clever or sly as you seem to think you are.

by Anonymousreply 56December 12, 2018 6:34 PM

R54 must have typed the wrong number. R50 isn't the concern troll here.

by Anonymousreply 57December 12, 2018 6:35 PM

That's r49 saying that she was asked to stand up for safety reasons and that's why it was okay for her to be arrested. I think you misread r50. Go back and try to follow the conversation again.

by Anonymousreply 58December 12, 2018 6:36 PM

R56, everybody involved was a POC. You seem not to understand that if a place needs to evacuate quickly, both the person (and baby) on the floor as well as everyone evacuating are at risk. But, sure, make it about race because you haven't got any other defense. She was told by 1) staff and then 2) a security guard and then 3) the police. She chose not to comply with all three. She made her choice.

by Anonymousreply 59December 12, 2018 6:41 PM

Refusing to comply with standing up does not mean you deserve to be roughed up and have your one-year-old child roughed up, too. There was one officer waving a stun gun around looking like they just wanted to use it on whoever for whatever reason.

It doesn't matter that she had a warrant. It doesn't matter that she didn't want to stand up. The response was inappropriate. It was irresponsible, and as professional law enforcement, they should know better and they should do better.

by Anonymousreply 60December 12, 2018 6:43 PM

Oh please 59. It's safer to call a gun-happy pair of cops than to allow someone to sit on the floor in an understaffed government office? There's several problems there, but it's not her.

by Anonymousreply 61December 12, 2018 6:53 PM

R60, shooting her or using a stun ngun on her would have been excessive. But there comes a point that asking is a waste of time. Three different people asked her to not sit on the floor and she refused. Her bad. The initial interaction with the cops, which conveniently wasn't caught on video, was a few minutes of the cops talking to her.

by Anonymousreply 62December 12, 2018 6:57 PM

Complying is somewhat of a problem for certain people. It often leads to unfortunate fatalities.

by Anonymousreply 63December 12, 2018 6:59 PM

[quote] This all stops at the mayor. After letting the cops off scot free for murdering Eric Garner when they turned their backs on them, he has let them run wild and this is just one of many incidents to show this

A

JURY

LET

THE

COPS

GO

NOT

THE

FUCKING

MAYOR

YOU

SUPERTARD

by Anonymousreply 64December 12, 2018 7:03 PM

r62 the point is that she shouldn't have been asked not to sit on the floor. There was no reason other than power tripping. Despite the "oh, but what if there was a fire!" claims.

by Anonymousreply 65December 12, 2018 7:04 PM

She wasn't going to listen if they asked her 100 times. Again, why was sitting on the floor such a big deal? Leave the bitch alone until she finishes her business and then she'll leave.

by Anonymousreply 66December 12, 2018 7:05 PM

Yes, r65, there was plenty of reason for it. You may not like or accept the reason, but they had good reason. She exercised poor judgment.

by Anonymousreply 67December 12, 2018 7:06 PM

It doesn’t matter if she had credit card debt or is a hooker who was paid to pee on Donald Trump. If she was that disturbed she couldn’t follow instructions call medics and get her sectioned.

by Anonymousreply 68December 12, 2018 7:08 PM

No, there was no good reason for it, just a bureaucratic one, assuming it even is a real, written rule. I hope you get stuck in a line somewhere and there's no chairs and you have to wait for 4 hours, and we'll see how pleasant and accommodating you are when they tell you you can't lean on the wall or sit on the floor.

by Anonymousreply 69December 12, 2018 7:09 PM

I have, r69, and I never acted like that.

by Anonymousreply 70December 12, 2018 7:11 PM

r70 thinks his shit doesn't stink

by Anonymousreply 71December 12, 2018 7:16 PM

Fuck off all you racists justifying this fascist nonsense. HRA in NYC has consolidated offices, resulting in EVEN WORSE overcrowding and wait times. She sat on the floor because she'd been there for hours with no end in sight and there were no chairs available. Depending on why she was there, she may have been penalized and lost benefits had she just walked out. Instead of the agency dealing properly with the overcrowding, they stupidly shift responsibility to a security guard, who stupidly called the fucking cops on this woman for sitting on the floor, who handled the problem in the stupidest way possible.

And whatever you think about how SHE acted, it wasn't her limbs the officer was yanking on. It was the baby's. NYPD has arrested people for manhandling a baby less forcefully.

Do you assholes watch Sophie's Choice and go "well she asked for it by not keeping her mouth shut!" when the SS officers drag her daughter away?

by Anonymousreply 72December 12, 2018 7:17 PM

r72 But the rules! She didn't follow the rules!!!

by Anonymousreply 73December 12, 2018 7:18 PM

My shit stinks like everyone elses, r71. I don't feel I'm above everyone else. She made her choice. Her bad.

by Anonymousreply 74December 12, 2018 7:19 PM

"Sophie made her choice, her bad!"

by Anonymousreply 75December 12, 2018 7:22 PM

Not sitting on the floor in a crowded room and not having the smarts to get up when asked the first time does not equal choosing which baby to keep. But keep fucking that chicken, r75.

by Anonymousreply 76December 12, 2018 7:28 PM

Someone refusing to get up from the floor because there's no place to sit after hours of waiting does not warrant continuous yanking on an infant, but keep defending that police state R76.

by Anonymousreply 77December 12, 2018 7:30 PM

Then she should have made a better decision, r77. The room was crowded but only she chose to sit on the floor. She should have gotten up when asked by staff. Instead she escalated the whole thing. Her bad.

by Anonymousreply 78December 12, 2018 7:34 PM

Actually the police escalated the whole thing by putting an innocent baby at risk R78. But keep trying, you show more of your ass with every post.

by Anonymousreply 79December 12, 2018 7:37 PM

It would never had gotten to the police if she 1) got up when staff asked 2) got up when the security guard asked. And after the police arrived it wouldn't have gotten to the arrest stage if she 3) got up when the police asked in those few minutes not caught on video. Her bad from the start. Maybe she'll learn to make better choices in the future.

by Anonymousreply 80December 12, 2018 7:41 PM

Or maybe she couldn't "make a better choice." Maybe she wasn't capable. Maybe she's mentally ill, or has postpartum depression, or was sleep-deprived, or the guard or officer said something that triggered her. Or maybe she;s just an asshole. Doesn't matter because the baby didn't have a choice regardless. And it was the baby they yanked on.

The police, meanwhile, are PAID to make the right choice. There was a team of officers there with options. She was not putting anyone in physical danger. There was no emergency or rush to get her out or get the baby away from her. The police are trained (or supposed to be trained) to de-escalate. They are not supposed to unnecessarily put innocent people at risk. They CHOSE not to call in EMS or a social worker or a family member or anyone who might have handled the situation properly. They fucked up royally. Maybe after she's done suing them they'll learn to make better choices in the future.

by Anonymousreply 81December 12, 2018 7:49 PM

You are correct, the baby didn't have a choice that's why parents aren't supposed to be stupid when they have a baby in their arms. If she thought about the baby's safety then she would have handed it over to the cops instead of holding on to it like football while she resisted arrest. Her bad.

by Anonymousreply 82December 12, 2018 7:54 PM

"parents aren't supposed to be stupid when they have a baby in their arm"

Profound. Yes, genius, and we have a huge system in place to go after parents (especially poor and Black ones) when they do stupid things re their babies.

I'm not sure why you think the police are supposed to get a pass for violence towards babies, though. Especially when they're on the clock. It seems kind of silly to be worried about what parents do to their babies if police can just come along and abuse them anyway.

by Anonymousreply 83December 12, 2018 7:59 PM

R83, I'm not sure why you are bringing race into this. Bad decision making and bad parenting crosses ethnic and racial lines. And it's telling that you are giving the mother a pass on bad behavior from the very start. She had the opportunity to end the whole thing whe she was asked to not sit on the floor by 1) staff 2) the security guard and then 3) the police. Not sure how many people you think were going to ask her before she complied. Even more bafflingis that she did this knowing she had an outstanding warrant against her for fraud. She's just a font of bad decision making.

by Anonymousreply 84December 12, 2018 8:07 PM

r84 is the type of poster who tells everyone "If a police officer tells you to do something, you do it!" to justify cops gunning down unmanned civilians. If he had his way, we'd all be living in a police state.

by Anonymousreply 85December 12, 2018 8:20 PM

R84, you can keep playing dumb all you like, but the reason police keep getting away with this kind of more-than-creeping-fascism is because their targets are disproportionally Black and/or poor, or some "other." So long as you're convinced they'd never do something like that to you or your kind, but only to "those people" and only when they "deserve it," you gleefully skip right past the fact that their conduct was unlawful, dangerous, just plain stupid, and a gross abuse of taxpayer money.

by Anonymousreply 86December 12, 2018 8:21 PM

R85, I'm not dumb enough to continue sitting when asked to get up by 1) staff 2) security and 3) the police while I have a baby in my arms and arrest warrant in NJ. But sure, blame the cops for her poor decisions. I also have manners.

by Anonymousreply 87December 12, 2018 8:24 PM

R85, also the type to shrug shoulders at putting children in cages and losing track of them because their parents may have committed a misdemeanor at the border.

Just follow THE RULES, nevermind the content of THE RULES.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88December 12, 2018 8:25 PM

R87, such a freedom loving American.

No punishment is too great for not having manners!

by Anonymousreply 89December 12, 2018 8:26 PM

Another false equivalence, r88. But, please, keep fucking that chicken.

by Anonymousreply 90December 12, 2018 8:26 PM

Yeah, keep telling yourself that.

"A *little* state-sponsored violence is A-OK!"

by Anonymousreply 91December 12, 2018 8:30 PM

R39 Mentally ill people use their children as shields all the time. The cops don't bum rush them when they are waving their kids around. In this situation, the cops should have handled the situation as a EDP (emotionally disturbed person), and negotiated with her, rather than causing harm to the child by pulling and stretching his arms. He deserves a settlement, in the form of a trust to be managed by a court-appointed trustee.

by Anonymousreply 92December 12, 2018 8:30 PM

There's plenty of fault to go around here. Obviously the woman didn't handle herself well. But to say that the police over-reacted is an understatement. Having someone sit on the floor is hardly the same as having someone in the waiting room have a gun drawn on the other clients - but the police reaction was the same. I have always felt that there is a segment of every police force which likes to bully and throw weight around.

The simplest, best solution would have been to send one officer, preferably a soft-spoken female, to sit quietly with the lady, figure out why she felt she needed to sit on the floor, give her other options. "Would you be willing to stand if we can find you a chair?" NO VIOLENCE, NO BABY-YANKING, NO CELL-PHONES, NO SCREAMING. But that wasn't the option chosen. Why not?

Don't we have signs everywhere "please give your seats up for the elderly, disabled, or for people with small children"?

by Anonymousreply 93December 12, 2018 8:31 PM

I do believe in consequences, r91. She made several bad decisions that day that led to a poor outcome. Her bad.

by Anonymousreply 94December 12, 2018 8:32 PM

No R94, you believe it's OK to physically abuse an infant because you don't like the mother's attitude.

You wouldn't happen to go by the nickname Poo, would you? If not, you should meet. You two would get along great!

by Anonymousreply 95December 12, 2018 8:34 PM

In some other countries she would've been whipped or shot or sent to a forced labor camp. Considering what a lot of the rest of the world is like, what happened to her isn't that bad.

by Anonymousreply 96December 12, 2018 8:36 PM

Like in Russia, Boris/r96?

by Anonymousreply 97December 12, 2018 8:37 PM

It's telling that the only video released of this situation does not show what happened BEFORE the altercation. I suspect they told her to leave and she refused. They tried to get her to leave and she started fighting. They tried to get the baby away from her to prevent the baby from being hurt. This was ALL this crazy woman's fault. Why didn't she just leave? That would have solved the situation right then.

by Anonymousreply 98December 12, 2018 8:38 PM

Brooklyn DA Gonzalez drops all charges, says he was "horrified" at what was on video

“She and her baby have been traumatized … Continuing to pursue this case will not serve any purpose and I therefore moved to dismiss it immediately in the interest of justice,” said a statement from Gonzalez.

by Anonymousreply 99December 12, 2018 8:38 PM

More than enough blame to go around, including those who didn't offer her a seat or offer to hold her child when the incident began to get out of hand.

by Anonymousreply 100December 12, 2018 8:38 PM

Because she's mentally ill most likely r98.

by Anonymousreply 101December 12, 2018 8:39 PM

R98 You have never lived in NYC and dealt with NYPD, lol

by Anonymousreply 102December 12, 2018 8:39 PM

r97 that Boris shit is so tired. RIght now, I'm about two miles away from where this shit happened.

by Anonymousreply 103December 12, 2018 8:39 PM

I don't know why the guy who's been doing this for hours, and others who show up and make their little hit-and-run comments, keep saying that the use of force by the police was proportionate to the alleged infraction. They have been thoroughly disproven and owned on this thread time and again, yet they still keep saying it.

by Anonymousreply 104December 12, 2018 8:39 PM

r94 would keep endlessly responding, but was brutally slain for forgetting to pay his water bill.

by Anonymousreply 105December 12, 2018 8:40 PM

Then blame the mother for treating the baby a football, r95. The child was nothing more than her shield to resist arrest. She had plenty of opportunity to not put the child in harm's way, but she didn't. And whipping out the poo shoes accusation says you don't have much of an argument so you're going to resort to name calling. Yes, r98, they spoke to her for a few minutes but that wasn't caught on camera.

by Anonymousreply 106December 12, 2018 8:41 PM

As an aside, nobody was willing to give up a seat for a young mom and her baby? Wonder if the office has posted signs like on the subway to remind people of good manners.

by Anonymousreply 107December 12, 2018 8:41 PM

r106 we get it, you think the mother was totally at fault. Obviously nothing we will say is going to change your stubborn mind. Perhaps there's a Fox News broadcast you are missing about now.

by Anonymousreply 108December 12, 2018 8:43 PM

[quote]As an aside, nobody was willing to give up a seat for a young mom and her baby?

LOL you're obviously clueless about the types of people in those places.

by Anonymousreply 109December 12, 2018 8:43 PM

When I have visitors to the city, I tell them don't even make eye contact with the cops. 9 out of 10 of them are complete assholes. My experience with them has been limited but always a nightmare.

by Anonymousreply 110December 12, 2018 8:46 PM

Fuck off R96. The US is one of the few countries left with the death penalty. You don't think the forced labor camp countries justify their human rights violations with "Considering what the US is like, what happened to you isn't that bad!"? Not to mention the stupidity of such an argument--by that rationale anything less than the absolute worst is acceptable.

Fuck off R98. No one has disputed that she refused to move when the security guard told her to and that she argued with the police when they first arrived. In addition, no one has claimed she otherwise did anything dangerous or inappropriate.

And fuck off R106. You've gotten plenty of arguments. You keep ignoring them in favor of fascist "her bad" nonsense. The bottom line is you're excusing violence on a baby because of someone else's conduct. If you're not actually Poo Shoes, you may as well be.

by Anonymousreply 111December 12, 2018 8:48 PM

Fuck off, R111. You're a nutjob.

by Anonymousreply 112December 12, 2018 8:50 PM

That's rich coming from someone justifying police violence on an infant R112.

by Anonymousreply 113December 12, 2018 8:51 PM

r111 makes several good points.

by Anonymousreply 114December 12, 2018 8:51 PM

Nobody has been justifying police violence on an infant, nutjob at R113. There was no police violence on an infant. They were trying to subdue the infant's crazy mother. The only one inflicting violence on the infant was the crazy mother.

by Anonymousreply 115December 12, 2018 8:55 PM

R115 either didn't watch the video or is a shameless liar. It was a police officer yanking forcefully on the baby, not the mother, no one else.

If anyone else tried to rip a baby from a person like that, they'd be arrested. Especially if, as was the case here, the child wasn't otherwise in any danger.

by Anonymousreply 116December 12, 2018 8:58 PM

[quote]To think all of that could have been avoided if the baby daddy supported them, like he should.

This could also be avoided if women with no education, no money, and no ability to be a parent learned to keep their legs closed.

by Anonymousreply 117December 12, 2018 9:02 PM

They were trying to protect the child by getting it away from the crazy mother who refused to leave. Don't you idiots know that? Again, it must be stated: if the woman had simply left nothing would have happened. Why DIDN'T she leave? What the fuck was wrong with her?

I'm just curious: how would you high and mighty idiots have handled the situation? What would YOU have done if someone in a public place was told to leave and would not and was causing a disturbance? Well?

by Anonymousreply 118December 12, 2018 9:03 PM

Abortions for all poor people!

by Anonymousreply 119December 12, 2018 9:03 PM

Oh, and since you've decided the mother is "crazy"R115, you're also justifying violence on a mentally ill person who wasn't actually hurting anyone.

If the mother was crazy, NYPD has a de-escalation process they are trained to follow. They're supposed to know how to deal with nonviolent mentally ill people without yanking on their babies. There's a whole NYPD protocol around it. So if mom was really crazy, it was the officers who were breaking the rules by not handling the situation properly or calling in people who know how.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120December 12, 2018 9:04 PM

^ That goes for dumbass at R118 as well.

by Anonymousreply 121December 12, 2018 9:05 PM

And it could have been avoided if she'd been born into money, r117!

by Anonymousreply 122December 12, 2018 9:07 PM

"You're also justifying violence on a mentally ill person who wasn't actually hurting anyone."

Since you think you know all the answers, here's the question again: how would YOU have handled someone in a public place who was told to leave and refused? How would YOU have gotten them out of there? Come on let's hear how you would have brilliantly defused the situation. Come on, let's hear the perfect way to deal with a situation like that. I'm sure NYPD officers would love to hear your answer.

by Anonymousreply 123December 12, 2018 9:11 PM

I can't speak for the other poster, but I wouldn't have asked them to stand up in the first place if there were no chairs and she'd been standing for four hours.

by Anonymousreply 124December 12, 2018 9:12 PM

[quote]Instead of the agency dealing properly with the overcrowding, they stupidly shift responsibility to a security guard, who stupidly called the fucking cops on this woman for sitting on the floor, who handled the problem in the stupidest way possible.

Considering that every person involved in this scenario was black, it’s hardly surprising that every one involved handled it as stupidly as possible.

by Anonymousreply 125December 12, 2018 9:13 PM

I'm just gonna say it - being "ripped" from Jazmine's arms was the best thing that could have ever happened to that kid. It was that kid's only chance for a decent life, but sadly, he is back in Jazmine's arms to lead a dull life full of inanity.

by Anonymousreply 126December 12, 2018 9:26 PM

R123, the NYPD officers don't need to hear my answer because THEY GET TRAINING ON THIS VERY ISSUE. IF they don't listen to their own fucking supervisors and the experts brought in to help them, trust me they're not sitting around just wondering what I or you think about what they should have done.

And the officers who haven't gotten the training have very clear instructions about calling in for additional assistance on a variety of issues. NYPD officers have some of the best resources in the country at their disposal. They have special trained domestic violence officers in their precincts, they have well trained FDNY officers, they have mental health crisis response teams, they have a slew of local hospitals with social workers and case managers on staff--this occurred near Downtown Brooklyn Hospital, which has a psych unit AND a women's health clinic, they even have ACS (children's services) which would not be my recommendation but as bad as they are, I don't think they'd be yanking babies.

If those officers had done a radio run to their precinct reporting that they had a disturbed or otherwise uncooperative woman who was using an infant as a shield, they would have gotten whatever help they needed to deescalate the situation. They CHOSE to handle it poorly.

by Anonymousreply 127December 12, 2018 9:27 PM

[quote]I'm just curious: how would you high and mighty idiots have handled the situation? What would YOU have done if someone in a public place was told to leave and would not and was causing a disturbance? Well?

Personally, I would've defused the situation by taking the crazy bitch into a back office, conducted whatever business she needed to get done and told her she was all set and could leave right away. With somebody like that who causes a scene the best thing to do is take care of things as quickly as possible and then they'll GTFO out of there, so they can go elsewhere and be somebody else's problem.

by Anonymousreply 128December 12, 2018 10:07 PM

Oh, I also would've given her a lifetime supply of condoms and birth control pills lol!

by Anonymousreply 129December 12, 2018 10:08 PM

[quote]Personally, I would've defused the situation by taking the crazy bitch into a back office, conducted whatever business she needed to get done and told her she was all set and could leave right away.

All that will accomplish... is encourage her to have a repeat meltdown the next time she comes in. No waiting in line and immediate, private service.

Rewarding her with preferential treatment for acting like a fool, will encourage others to do the same as well.

by Anonymousreply 130December 12, 2018 10:12 PM

R109, no one should need a sign on a wall to demonstrate a bit of empathy.

by Anonymousreply 131December 12, 2018 10:13 PM

She didn't have a meltdown and she didn't act a fool. She sat on the floor after she'd been waiting hours and there were no seats available. She got upset after being told to get up even though there was no place to sit and she had no way of knowing how much longer she had to wait. None of us know enough about her or her life to assume why she responded the way she did.

I can't tell how old the baby is from the video, but if she's postpartum, she may have been in pain or otherwise extremely tired/uncomfortable. She apparently was there for child care vouchers so she was likely also employed or in school and very possibly couldn't just come back later or another day.

The immediate knee jerk reaction to dehumanize a poor Black mother is disturbing thought not at all surprising.

by Anonymousreply 132December 12, 2018 10:21 PM

Take her out back and shoot her like a lame horse!

by Anonymousreply 133December 12, 2018 10:28 PM

"The immediate knee jerk reaction to dehumanize a poor Black mother is disturbing thought not at all surprising."

Oh shut the fuck UP. So being black and a mother and poor gives you free rein to behave like an entitled asshole? What idiocy.

by Anonymousreply 134December 12, 2018 10:28 PM

What would I have done? I would have offered a chair.

Seriously have any of you ever held a baby for four hours while standing still? . It is physically difficult.

by Anonymousreply 135December 12, 2018 10:32 PM

"Who's that entitled asshole think she is wanting to sit down after waiting for hours while holding a baby???"

by Anonymousreply 136December 12, 2018 10:33 PM

"What would I have done? I would have offered a chair."

Who knows what went on in that office before the police arrived? There are a lot of unanswered questions about this whole thing.

by Anonymousreply 137December 12, 2018 10:34 PM

"Who's that entitled asshole think she is wanting to sit down after waiting for hours while holding a baby???"

Where was it ever stated that she "waited for hours while holding a baby?" I heard she showed up, there was no more room, so she plopped herself down in the floor.

by Anonymousreply 138December 12, 2018 10:36 PM

[quote]Seriously have any of you ever held a baby for four hours while standing still? . It is physically difficult.

That’s what happens when you have no money and let a thug blow a load up your snatch.

by Anonymousreply 139December 12, 2018 10:36 PM

Not really R137. No one, absolutely no one, has so far disputed what happened.

R138, oh you heard? Sure you did.

by Anonymousreply 140December 12, 2018 10:37 PM

"No one, absolutely no one, has so far disputed what happened."

No one, absolutely no one, knows what happened except for the people who were there. Certainly YOU don't know what happened.

by Anonymousreply 141December 12, 2018 10:39 PM

The woman who posted the video described the incident to the NYTimes. The only thing she said that was different than what the police reported was that it was NYPD, not the security guard, who forced the woman to the floor. She said the woman was waiting about 2 hours before she sat on the floor and there's no report by anyone of her doing anything inappropriate before the security guard told her to get up. No one at NYPD, HRA, the security guard's firm, or anyone else who was there has claimed otherwise. The DA's office dropped the charges immediately.

But do go on with your ignorance, R141.

by Anonymousreply 142December 12, 2018 10:46 PM

"She said the woman was waiting about 2 hours before she sat on the floor and there's no report by anyone of her doing anything inappropriate before the security guard told her to get up. "

So why didn't she get up? Nothing would have happened if she'd done that. It was all HER fault. And the charges were dropped because it was a PR move, not because she didn't break the law, you twit.

by Anonymousreply 143December 12, 2018 10:52 PM

Repeating your nonsense doesn't make it any more convincing, R143. Several of us have already addressed your pointless rantings.

by Anonymousreply 144December 12, 2018 10:54 PM

This piece of trash had no business having a baby if she was already living on the city's dime. Taxpayers are sick and tired of this "govt. must pay me" mindset and attitude. Working people do not have this attitude. Poor, very poor people in other countries don't have this attitude. Something is wrong when the people living off the govt are unappreciative and irresponsible Cut all programs, except those for the elderly and the medically frail and you will see how these people react when they have to find employment and pay their own rent.

by Anonymousreply 145December 12, 2018 10:56 PM

R145, If you're so opposed, why do you work for the very agency that put's people "on the city's dime?" Or did you already forget your own posting history, Boris?

by Anonymousreply 146December 12, 2018 10:59 PM

Children should not be exposed to violence or aggressiveness in any form or at any age. This is not common sense but, the police should have proper training, not to mention Social Services. Text book. Social Services should have intervened when the police became too aggressive. Bad mom, not a bad mom, other adults were present.

by Anonymousreply 147December 12, 2018 11:04 PM

Officers were called to the Human Resources Administration office in the Boerum Hill neighborhood of Brooklyn Friday after staff had made unsuccessful attempts to remove a Headley "due to her disorderly conduct towards others, and for obstructing the hallway," according to the statement.

"HRA peace officers brought the woman to the floor," and officers tried to arrest her, but she resisted, the NYPD said.

by Anonymousreply 148December 12, 2018 11:10 PM

Let's cut the shit

She acted nuts.

by Anonymousreply 149December 12, 2018 11:23 PM

[quote]I'm just curious: how would you high and mighty idiots have handled the situation? What would YOU have done if someone in a public place was told to leave and would not and was causing a disturbance? Well?

I would have shoved my fist up the ghetto bitch's gunt and ripped out her uterus so she wouldn't be able to have anymore taxpayer-funded drains on society. I would be doing a public service.

by Anonymousreply 150December 13, 2018 12:04 AM

Looks like gorillas at the zoo.

by Anonymousreply 151December 13, 2018 12:27 AM

R145 is working for the clampdown.

by Anonymousreply 152December 13, 2018 10:34 AM

If she's mentally ill, okay. I could understand a mentally ill person acting like an animal when cornered.

But a civilized person does not begin to act like she did when requested to do something by those in charge. It does not matter that she did not like what they asked her to do. In civilized society there are unspoken(and spoken) rules of behavior. When a cop or an office bureaucrat tells you to come her or go there( and you are there for the purpose of asking them for help) you do what they asked. You don't behave like a wild animal.

Again, if she is mentally disturbed then that changes my feelings about her total lack of couth and respect for her surroundings.

by Anonymousreply 153December 13, 2018 12:00 PM

My question i why the baby wasn't in a stroller ? Why the hell would she carry her to this place ?

by Anonymousreply 154December 13, 2018 12:20 PM

Because she's ghetto AF r154.

by Anonymousreply 155December 13, 2018 12:35 PM

According to King Solomon, she would have shown that she cared about the child by releasing him to the officers.

by Anonymousreply 156December 13, 2018 12:40 PM

Actually Solomon would have required half the baby, to show she cared.

by Anonymousreply 157December 13, 2018 3:21 PM

Questions asked by R154:

Why don't the homeless rent an apartment?

Why don't subway riders take Uber, or buy a car?

Why don't the hungry cook themselves a meal?

Why don't the sick go to a doctor?

by Anonymousreply 158December 13, 2018 6:54 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159December 13, 2018 11:02 PM

Oops, not only were there seats available, but she had a stroller for the kid.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160December 14, 2018 9:01 PM

Must be nice to have day care paid for by the city when working people are paying out the ass for it, out of their own paychecks.

by Anonymousreply 161December 15, 2018 12:00 AM

The innocent baby mama also BIT one of the officers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162December 15, 2018 12:19 AM

Typical example of entitled trash who appreciate nothing that the hard working taxpayers provide to her. She is probably from a long line of this ilk. I hope Karma collects from her.

by Anonymousreply 163December 15, 2018 12:46 AM

Face it. She and so many just were not taught t respect and obey authorities, be they the law or just those "in charge." I know that from the time I was a small kid my mother would have smacked me senseless if I had smarted off or disobeyed a teacher or similar. It's the same reason why so many get shot in dealings with police who stop them while driving. There are literally hundreds upon hundreds of videos on YouTube from body cams of black people who do not obey the cops' requests when stopped. It's always, "what I do? what I do?" They don't accept that that isn't part of the process. The cop has the right to cuff you before explaining why he stopped you if he feels that he needs to for his safety. I have seen attractive black women driving high end cars who refused to roll their driver window and ended up with the cop breaking the window with a glass hammer---simply because after 20 minutes plus, the woman still would not comply. And yet all we hear about is how the cops are Nazis and kill at will with prejudice.

Watch Live PD on A&E on Fri and Sat night from 9'midnight and see for yourself how patient and calm police actually are. And there are 6 different states represented on the show, True, the NYPD is not one of them, and perhaps they are not as patient and relaxed as the cops in smaller locales, but generally speaking, cops put up with way more bullshit than I ever could..

by Anonymousreply 164December 15, 2018 8:00 PM

NYPD cops don't wake up each day and say to themselves that they can't wait to get to work to rip a baby from a mother's arms. There are some bad cops for sure, but most try to get through the day and back to their families. Sometimes they encounter deplorables.

by Anonymousreply 165December 15, 2018 10:48 PM

It just keeps getting worse and worse.

by Anonymousreply 166December 16, 2018 12:53 AM

I don't understand how an otherwise liberal city has tolerated the NYPD for this long. You people need to start blowing up your city council member's phones every time this happens and the NYPD "doesn't find any wrongdoing". Create a ballot measure for an independent review board. Propose a city ordinance that declares all lawsuits brought against the city and NYPD have to be paid from the NYPD's annual budget, not the city's coffers.

You should care more about the fact that you have an army that roams the streets, acting with impunity, than you do about Amazon moving into Queens.

by Anonymousreply 167December 16, 2018 1:16 AM

She did have a stroller. She does have a job.

This is a NYT article, but accessed through MSN, so it won't be included in your monthly NYT article count.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168December 17, 2018 1:18 AM

I still remember the thread from a few months ago where , I think four white boys of normal intelligence deliberately threw boulders onto a highway in order to damage cars. They killed a white father just going about his daily. The father was a "productive " member of society and presentationally he would have fallen into the Datalounge "Bear I want to fuck " Hall of Fame.

The shirt rendering on behalf of the psychos from the "understanding" on that thread in support of the NT boys who deliberately set out to harm and continued throwing boulders until they did damage was off the chain. White boys , who so antisocial are probably homophobic, to boot, setting out to do harm, killed a white father, employed and Datalounge turned into a fucking vigil for the scum and not the dead. Accept that white straight males, unencumbered by children, the better to foist "I'm fucking a straight man" fantasises on are the pinnacle on here amongst the self hating white, gynophobic gays that is the generality of the population on Datalounge. The other crazy cohort being the racist Europeans in a pissing contest with every American who seem to have forgotten their history and neglect to see their present. Just surprised that there aren't more "Nazism - Style over Substance 1939 - 1945 RIP" threads.

The more self aware who aren't crazy and still , despite pushback deign to drop knowledge and come with excellent threads, especially the "old timey" ones from are the angels on here amongst the self hating , deranged, "cute" ( a la gaze caucasian basic) obsessed.

But that thread was a real eye opener. Go look it up. "Unreal" doesn't begin to describe it. And one doesn't have to be a "hang 'em, flog 'em" type to see that.

by Anonymousreply 169December 17, 2018 2:06 AM

Interesting R169. I love an opinion, even if it is 180 degrees from one, which makes me think and reexamine.

by Anonymousreply 170December 17, 2018 2:15 AM

r169 post should've been written in coherent English.

by Anonymousreply 171December 17, 2018 2:21 AM

The what about that bitch who was waving a taser into the crowd?!

Fuck tha police.

by Anonymousreply 172December 17, 2018 12:36 PM

That was some ghetto realness.

by Anonymousreply 173December 17, 2018 1:10 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!