Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Orchids

Does anyone else on DL keep them?

They’ve become my favorite flower/houseplant.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52December 14, 2018 3:35 AM

I bought one but then it died.

by Anonymousreply 1December 10, 2018 1:55 AM

My niece came to visit me, and we went to a well known botanical garden. Hundreds of orchids - but, only a few in bloom. She was totally unaware that vanilla comes from an orchid.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2December 10, 2018 1:58 AM

Yes. I have many. I love when they come back after being long dormant. Ignore them and they do best. Only a little water.

by Anonymousreply 3December 10, 2018 2:01 AM

Love em, but they're a bitch to care for. The only ones I have are sealed in a airtight glass container right next to my father's urn that I keep in a display case for protection.

by Anonymousreply 4December 10, 2018 2:02 AM

If I overwatered...and I plainly have... is it doomed or will it come back if I let it dry out?

by Anonymousreply 5December 10, 2018 2:05 AM

^ Did you soak the pot?

by Anonymousreply 6December 10, 2018 2:09 AM

R5 Just get a new one. If you over-watered it once, it will be fine. But if you've let the roots rot then you need to start over.

I have some very old orchids. One is over 18 years old and starting to show signs of slowing down. (It blooms quite a lot - but right now shows no sign of new growth.) Most of them don't last like that one. I'm rather attached to it and now wish I had just thrown them out the way most people do.

by Anonymousreply 7December 10, 2018 2:12 AM

Watering tips.

The MissOrchidGirl videos are fantastic. Her voice is ideal for instructions!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8December 10, 2018 2:13 AM

I watered from the top... R6.... in orchid potting medium... wood chips etc... but the thing just seems to be dying. I must have over watered but I didn't substantially water because I remember doing it. But the bottom leaves are yellowing and the texture of the leaves seems... spongy... not the stiff, shiny green of a healthy leaf.

by Anonymousreply 9December 10, 2018 2:13 AM

I wear them daily in my hair. Add just a little water each morning.

by Anonymousreply 10December 10, 2018 2:16 AM

I have a greenhouse. I have a dozen orchid plants in there plus other plants. I am in the south, but keep the unit well-heated in the summer. The orchids require consistent care, and occasionally will lose one. Water very lightly, and only do so every several days. Basically, I mist.

by Anonymousreply 11December 10, 2018 2:23 AM

^^ including the soil?

by Anonymousreply 12December 10, 2018 2:25 AM

I keep many of them. Most of them are Phalaeonopsis (moth orchids) but a few of them are Pashiopedalums (slipper orchids). I spend a big chunk of time each weekend putting each of them in the kitchen sink, and giving them a thorough spray with lukewarm water. I've had several of them for a long time. I can remember that my Mom (who died in 2013) bought me several of them at Aldi. As long as you make an effort to give them decent care, they're very tough and long-lived. .

by Anonymousreply 13December 10, 2018 2:26 AM

Lindsey Graham, is that you at r10?

by Anonymousreply 14December 10, 2018 2:28 AM

R12 meant to say winter, not summer. I water the soil lightly, like a thimble-full, depending on the size of the soil content. A greenhouse can get quite hot during a sunny day, so such dries much quicker than in a house. Sunlight is important. I learned from trial & error. Videos help.

by Anonymousreply 15December 10, 2018 2:35 AM

Wild Orchid

by Anonymousreply 16December 10, 2018 2:46 AM

"Nasty things. Their flowers are like the fingers of dead men."

by Anonymousreply 17December 10, 2018 2:54 AM

Yes, I have a set of flowering plants that I rotate so that there are always several flowering inside at any one time. One of the most rewarding is Brunfelsia Jamicacensis as its flowers are ravishing in form and fragrance (will perfume a large room), and, unlike an orchid, it blooms in several flushes every year.

I also use Hippeastrums (in scandi countries you’ll see the forced bulbs sold everywhere in winter), Snake Plant (small spidery, lily-like flowers with stunning fragrance), gardenias, citrus and narcissus.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18December 10, 2018 3:29 AM

Pretentious, the only thing worse are roses.

by Anonymousreply 19December 10, 2018 3:35 AM

I prefer lilies and irises

by Anonymousreply 20December 10, 2018 3:38 AM

R19, I disagree, I don't see how they're pretentious. I have very few visitors to my house, but I almost always have orchids in bloom. Orchids tend to be long-lived, and once you understand their needs, aren't difficult to grow.

Hardy orchids (the ones you grow outside) are a whole different kettle of fish. They're very picky and demanding, and you really have to have the correct conditions if they're going to survvie.

by Anonymousreply 21December 10, 2018 3:53 AM

So why are they called "hardy"?

by Anonymousreply 22December 10, 2018 3:59 AM

They are fascinating to watch grow, although they grow soooo slowly (mine, at least). If you want instant gratification, they are not for you.

by Anonymousreply 23December 10, 2018 5:09 AM

The blooms last a long time. I like having flowers in the house, but I hate watching them wilt and die.

Orchids even have a shot at blooming again if you have expertise or good luck.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24December 10, 2018 11:25 AM

I do the same as R13 - put them in the sink once per week and spray them down, let them drain, them spray them down again and put them back out in their homes around the house. This is very very easy and all that's required to keep them healthy.

by Anonymousreply 25December 10, 2018 12:35 PM

[quote]So why are they called "hardy"?

R22. By hardy, they mean winter-hardy, able to grow in Northern climates. These are the types of orchids you can grow outdoors (if you'r lucky). They're not readily available, but they are available (for lots of $$$)/

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26December 10, 2018 12:42 PM

I thought you were suppose to use an ice cube once a week.

by Anonymousreply 27December 10, 2018 7:45 PM

There is one company that sells or hiss and promotes them as ice-cube waterable.

But MissOrchidGirl says no: orchids are tropical plants and should only get warm water. She does the soaking method in the sink like our knowledgeable DL orchid growers.

She advises misting with caution. Don’t let water collect in mini-pools between leaf and stem. And don’t mist the flower at all. No mold or fungus will then be encouraged.

by Anonymousreply 28December 10, 2018 8:17 PM

Yes, the companies that market orchids to grocery stores sell them with that ice cube advice, which is terrible. Those moth orchids (Phalaenopsis) are all native to tropical areas of Southeast Asia and Australia. They would never encounter freezing temperatures in the wild. You risk shocking them using that ice cube trick. Just take them to the kitchen sink, once a week, and give them a thorough drenching with lukewarm water. Let them drain in the sink before returning them to their positions near a window. My oldest orchids are ones that my Mom bought me, years ago. She died in 2013, and I had several of them for many years before she died. They're really not all the delicate or sensitive. You just have to try to understand their native environment, and try to replicate it, a bit.

by Anonymousreply 29December 10, 2018 8:36 PM

They're beautiful, but one dying on me has marred my experience.

by Anonymousreply 30December 10, 2018 8:43 PM

"When in doubt, leave it out." In other words, err on the side of underwatering.

by Anonymousreply 31December 10, 2018 8:52 PM

My mother filled her house with orchids. After my father died they were pretty much an obsession for her. She had an amazing talent for getting them to thrive and bloom, and they were a delight to look at, as well as giving her endless pleasure.

I'm fairly handy in the garden, but I lack any ability to keep houseplants alive. They wither and die as soon as I touch them.

A bit like my relationships.

by Anonymousreply 32December 10, 2018 8:52 PM

Beautiful prose, R32

by Anonymousreply 33December 10, 2018 8:57 PM

Thanks. I talk crap professionally.

by Anonymousreply 34December 10, 2018 8:59 PM

Me too, but I don't get paid for it.

by Anonymousreply 35December 10, 2018 9:07 PM

I'm trying out a few miniature Phalaenopsis now. I only have a couple of standard orchids as well right now - both Phalaenopsis as well. I like the way they look the best of any orchid when they are without a flower.

by Anonymousreply 36December 10, 2018 9:52 PM

My Home Depot was selling them for five bucks apiece on Black Friday and the week after.

I’d like to aspire to r32’s mother’s house of orchids.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37December 11, 2018 12:57 AM

One of the other orchids that I've had success with is Psychopsis 'Mendenhall'. I bought a small one on e-Bay, and nursed it along for years before it finally started blooming. The leaves are very leathery: that's an important sign of how tough they are.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38December 11, 2018 1:03 AM

I have a book about orchids. It is dying.

by Anonymousreply 39December 12, 2018 6:43 PM

There's all this mystique about getting orchids to bloom. I just water them once a week and stick them in the sun==and voila they bloom every two years.

by Anonymousreply 40December 12, 2018 6:57 PM

The American Orchid Society

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41December 12, 2018 6:59 PM

Vanilla comes from orchids? Did not know that.

by Anonymousreply 42December 12, 2018 7:02 PM

"Orchid" comes from the Greek word for "testicle." Hence, the name for a removal of same: orchiectomy. As for their use in corsages...

by Anonymousreply 43December 12, 2018 10:15 PM

Which are harder to grow -- orchids or African violets?

by Anonymousreply 44December 12, 2018 10:18 PM

African violets are easy. Water from the bottom, unless you're adding fertilizer. Stick them in a windowsill. Presto: blooms. Very easy to propagate.

by Anonymousreply 45December 13, 2018 1:39 AM

R42, Yes, and you can purchase the plants to grow as houseplants. My local public conservatory has a vanilla vine that grows up through a 25 foot tree, and clambers all through the canopy.

R44, I think that varies from person to person. I actually find most orchids to be more resilient than African viokets.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46December 13, 2018 1:58 AM

R43, DL is so informative!

by Anonymousreply 47December 13, 2018 4:15 AM

I’m another one who’s had better luck with orchids than African violets.

Where do you all get your orchids from? Trader Joe’s sells them sometimes.

Do most of you grow moth orchids? They are the only kind I’ve tried.

by Anonymousreply 48December 13, 2018 11:01 PM

I didn’t know canilla came from an orchid plant. It’s one of my favorite spices and smells, especially in tea.

The price has shot up lately.

Do any of you ever use the actual vanilla beans from the orchid plant?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49December 13, 2018 11:16 PM

Canilla Parker Bowles or Canilla Hutton?

by Anonymousreply 50December 14, 2018 2:39 AM

R48, I get them all over the place. My oldest orchids are moth orchids that my Mom (who died over 5 years ago) bought for me. Most people don't realize how long-lived orchids usually are. I've also bought them at Lowe's and Kroger. If you have good luck with moth orchids, I'd suggest another type to try would be reed orchids (Epidendrum) which are very inexpensive on e-Bay. The plants form keikis (miniature plants wielding visible roots). You just break the little plantlet off, and pot it up. They're practically weeds in Florida. My favorite place to purchase them are orchid shows. There's usually an orchid show every year at my local public conservatory, and small, private dealers come from all over the state to sell them. And you can ask the growers any specific questions. I'd much rather support a small business, if possible. Here's a current add for reed orchid cuttings, which are so easy to grow.

BTW, there are also some orchids which are winter hardy. The choicest species are pretty tricky to grow, but one type that is actually very easy is Bletilla. You can order the roots online, and sometimes find them at stores n the spring when they're selling other 'bulbs'. They're easy to grow in a reasonably fertile, most garden border.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51December 14, 2018 3:21 AM

What do you think are the type of orchids that re-bloom the most?

by Anonymousreply 52December 14, 2018 3:35 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!