Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Netflix’s The Umbrella Academy starring DL Fave Tom Hopper and Ellen Page, who is not a DL Fave

OMG Tiffany!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 362August 1, 2020 11:50 PM

OMFG I thought it was Janeane Garofalo at first!

by Anonymousreply 1December 9, 2018 12:27 AM

Thoughts?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2January 24, 2019 10:24 PM

Why is Tom Hopper a DL fave?

by Anonymousreply 3January 24, 2019 10:27 PM

Ellen Page is terrific in everything she does

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4January 24, 2019 11:24 PM

Because R3

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5January 24, 2019 11:28 PM

He looks like he has boobs at R5.

by Anonymousreply 6January 24, 2019 11:32 PM

Done with Ellen fucking Page after she rather conveniently (years after cashing the check) came out against Woody Allen when it was popular to do so. What a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 7January 24, 2019 11:37 PM

This looks amazing. I can't wait!

by Anonymousreply 8February 5, 2019 1:04 AM

Seriously R7?

by Anonymousreply 9February 5, 2019 1:21 AM

Yep. Actresses need to take a cue from Emma Stone, shut up and do the work.

by Anonymousreply 10February 5, 2019 1:34 AM

What's up with her hairline?

by Anonymousreply 11February 5, 2019 1:36 AM

R11 What do you mean?

by Anonymousreply 12February 5, 2019 11:35 AM

I remember Hopper from Game of Thrones. I was so pissed, though, that they kill off his character so quickly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13February 8, 2019 8:55 PM

Ellen is family and seems to be a good person .

by Anonymousreply 14February 8, 2019 8:58 PM

Cast

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15February 8, 2019 11:29 PM

I adore Ellen from a distance but god she seems like she would be exhausting up close. Too SJW self righteous.

by Anonymousreply 16February 8, 2019 11:32 PM

Hopper has bitch tits.

by Anonymousreply 17February 8, 2019 11:41 PM

Who the hell is Tom Hopper and why would he be a DL fave when no one has heard of him?

by Anonymousreply 18February 9, 2019 3:18 AM

Do I see nipple with the guy wearing the black kilt?

by Anonymousreply 19February 9, 2019 3:22 AM

Wait, the singer of My Chemical Romance created this series?!

by Anonymousreply 20February 10, 2019 9:29 AM

Tom gets my vote for DL Fave. So does Ellen.

by Anonymousreply 21February 10, 2019 9:46 AM

No role for Chloe Grace Moretz ?

by Anonymousreply 22February 10, 2019 9:48 AM

Lol look at the tight tee shirt Hopper wore to do this interview

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23February 14, 2019 1:32 AM

When does it drop?

by Anonymousreply 24February 14, 2019 5:22 PM

R23, no kidding about that t-shirt. Love that way it emphasizes his sexy biceps.

by Anonymousreply 25February 14, 2019 5:30 PM

Ellen Page has a face like a wet flannel. And that hairline is a horror show

by Anonymousreply 26February 14, 2019 5:36 PM

r7 choke on a cock you fucking hetero breeder.

by Anonymousreply 27February 14, 2019 5:37 PM

She's the bomb dot com. I love how she went for Xtian fundie Pratt

by Anonymousreply 28February 14, 2019 5:38 PM

Isn't Ellen Page a bit long in the tooth to keep playing these moppet roles?

by Anonymousreply 29February 14, 2019 5:40 PM

Tom Hopper has gorgeous arms but he has bitch tits.

by Anonymousreply 30February 14, 2019 5:49 PM

Hopper's chest looks fine here although I don't know how recent this photo is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31February 14, 2019 5:55 PM

New photos of Tom

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32February 15, 2019 4:55 PM

He looks great, R32. Thanks for posting.

by Anonymousreply 33February 15, 2019 5:03 PM

No one has watched the show yet? Why is it only postings about chests?

by Anonymousreply 34February 16, 2019 6:12 AM

I watched two episodes and while I like it, there are some pacing issues and also too many characters.

by Anonymousreply 35February 16, 2019 9:16 AM

r34 It's only been a day since it dropped and the reviews have been poor, so I doubt anyone is voraciously bingeing this. I'm two episodes in right now. The interior shots of that mansion are delicious but other than that... it's a bit of a miss so far for me. My heart sank when Matt Zoller Seitz trashed it because I've been excited about it but it's just not well thought out at the end of the day.

by Anonymousreply 36February 16, 2019 10:15 AM

What is this SHITE?

by Anonymousreply 37February 16, 2019 10:25 AM

It’s 70%, hardly poor

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38February 16, 2019 10:41 AM

Now select Top Critics only...

by Anonymousreply 39February 16, 2019 10:46 AM

[quote] dropped

by Anonymousreply 40February 16, 2019 11:40 AM

r40 Yes, the whole season dropped at the same time, as tends to happen on Netflix. Do you have something to add to that or do you only operate via quotes?

by Anonymousreply 41February 16, 2019 11:44 AM

R16, I agree, after catching her series about the LGBT on Vice or whatever (I’m glad they’re spotlighting LGBT in other countries for once) I find her obnoxious. That spat with Pratt was a lot of virtue signaling too.

I read the original TUA. I remember liking it, the second volume too. I’ve been meaning to re read them and pick up the new books. Didn’t even realize it was a series now.

by Anonymousreply 42February 16, 2019 12:09 PM

Oh, and I thought she was a shitty Kitty Pryde!

by Anonymousreply 43February 16, 2019 12:10 PM

[quote]I find her obnoxious. That spat with Pratt was a lot of virtue signaling too.

I find that opinion obnoxious. So anytime someone calls out institutionalized homophobia and intolerance towards homosexuality, it's automatically "virtue signalling"? And can we stop with that phrase? I know things are a bit slower on DL but that phrase was dated back in 2017 already. Also, homos co-opting alt-right speak will never not look bizarre to me. I mean, you *do* know there's people currently typing that phrase out in relation to the one gay character on this show, don't you?

Having said that, I'm three episodes in and there's literally nothing to Ellen Page's character. She's so bland and useless and pathetic, I wish the writers had given her something better to do. And yes, she was a horrible Kitty Pryde; makes me laugh just thinking about it.

by Anonymousreply 44February 16, 2019 12:37 PM

Another superhero show.

Hard pass

by Anonymousreply 45February 16, 2019 1:26 PM

I am surprised how much I like it. Especially the subplot romance between Hazel and Agnes. That one caught me off guard (never read / saw the source material).

by Anonymousreply 46February 17, 2019 10:28 AM

I looked it up and I had no idea it was written by MCR's Gerard Way.

by Anonymousreply 47February 17, 2019 10:30 AM

Am I seeing things or is the scene in episode 8, where Hazel drops Agnes at the motel, filmed at the motel used in Schitt's Creek?

by Anonymousreply 48February 17, 2019 11:30 AM

Finished it just now and it's an enjoyable ride but nothing more. I think I understand why so many of the critics bailed after three episodes - it gets better from the fourth one on (though not by much) and it also takes about four episodes to get used to the emptiness of the show. And boy is it an empty visual feast. The huge music numbers that are completely unearned only reinforce its emptiness. Except for Diego's scene with his mother and Klaus' scene with his partner in Vietnam, none of the scenes had an emotional impact on me. Zero impression that these people have sibling-like bonds (except for Klaus and Diego) as the intimate scenes just aren't written that well. And also not shot well because the director was more concerned with capturing those damn arches instead of closeups of people's faces.

I didn't understand those isolated moments of whimsy and quirkiness. They're so tonally different from the rest of the show that they made me laugh, and not in a good way. They need to find a better balance because the current mishmash is jarring and painful to watch.

Why did we have to spend so much time with the boring hitman? That actor is really not that great, to boot. Didn't know Mary J. Blige could act. She's fine, although she struggled a bit in that one quieter scene in the cafeteria. She's better at reacting, I think. But would you have the balls to tell Mary J. Blige she needs another take?

I'm completely taken with the actor playing Diego (David Castañeda) and wish they had written more dancing scenes for him. The young actor playing Number Five (Aidan Gallagher) is such a revelation and I don't usually care for kid actors. Can you believe he's only 15? Those are some serious acting chops.

Ellen Page... sigh. I was rooting for her coming into this show, but she's just not that great, is she? She definitely didn't receive proper direction but I'm also starting to get the feeling she's just not that good of an actress. She struggled with her material from start to finish. Too bad. I didn't much care that she was mostly dressed like she dresses in real life, either.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49February 17, 2019 3:45 PM

r46 I trashed the actor but that romantic arc really was sweet and added humanity to non-powered people. Well, I take it back - I don't mind that we spent so much time with the hitman now. I do wish we got a better actor in the role, though.

by Anonymousreply 50February 17, 2019 3:49 PM

So many shots of Toronto!

Yes, Tom Hopper is HAWT!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51February 17, 2019 7:52 PM

Love it just watched episode 4. I love Diego. He's so fit

by Anonymousreply 52February 17, 2019 8:25 PM

Diego is well fit.

by Anonymousreply 53February 17, 2019 8:42 PM

David Castañeda looking like this and the show [SPOILER] not giving us a single shot of Diego shirtless is Homophobia 101.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54February 17, 2019 8:45 PM

I don't know how I stumbled on this interview they did together for an outlet in the Philippines, but Sheehan comes across as pretty fabulous with his sparkly Louboutins and the disco ball feet superpower. Castañeda seems like a decent, but boring straight guy in comparison. Oh, well, he still looks great.

[SPOILER]

r51 It really is unfortunate that they only briefly showed his actual body in the fourth episode, otherwise it was that gorilla body nonsense. I guess that's how it goes in these superhero shows sometimes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55February 17, 2019 9:10 PM

In the 2nd season they need to get Diego naked more.

by Anonymousreply 56February 18, 2019 1:51 AM

Robert Sheehan and Tom Hopper Read Thirst Tweets

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57February 18, 2019 2:08 AM

Robert Sheehan admits he's experimented with his sexuality as a teen and even lost his virginity to a guy. But he's not gay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58February 18, 2019 2:09 AM

Poor Ellen Page looks a lot older than thirty-one. Wasn't she cherub faced in Inception? I guess I've not watched her in anything since that so she's probably not seemed to age 15 years, all at once, for everyone else.

Hopper, Sheehan and Castañeda are hot!

by Anonymousreply 59February 18, 2019 2:14 AM

r57 Netflix's PR department is so on point with these delightful little videos. They had to scramble last year when Elite's success caught them off guard and now they have these videos ready to GO!

r58 Yeah, I got the straight vibe from him despite of how fabulous he looks and the things he said in that interview above.

by Anonymousreply 60February 18, 2019 2:14 AM

r59 She just looks so sad and tired all the damn time. Has she been in anything where she looks... you know, joyous? Or at least not depressed?

by Anonymousreply 61February 18, 2019 2:18 AM

It seems like she's been like that since coming out and getting married R61

by Anonymousreply 62February 18, 2019 2:20 AM

Tom Hopper

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63February 18, 2019 2:45 AM

Bitch tits.

by Anonymousreply 64February 18, 2019 3:15 AM

[quote]The young actor playing Number Five (Aidan Gallagher) is such a revelation and I don't usually care for kid actors. Can you believe he's only 15? Those are some serious acting chops.

He is seriously good. I had to check his credits to see what else he's done and he's just on a Nickelodeon or Disney series. He can have a bright career ahead of him if he gets to have more roles like this.

[quote] I think I understand why so many of the critics bailed after three episodes - it gets better from the fourth one on (though not by much) and it also takes about four episodes to get used to the emptiness of the show.

One critics wrote that it's just a bunch of thrown together scenes that didn't feel connected and that was true to an extent. I really don't think they knew what to do with Allison and so many scenes didn't have anything to do with the story as a whole despite how much I enjoyed them like Klaus' time in Vietnam and most of Allison's scenes.

But overall I really loved the show. It ultimately became a better version of X-Men's Dark Phoenix saga.

by Anonymousreply 65February 18, 2019 4:25 AM

[quote] The young actor playing Number Five

I am Number Four.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66February 18, 2019 4:34 AM

OP needs to take a poll before declaring Tom Hopper a DL fave.

by Anonymousreply 67February 18, 2019 4:41 AM

[quote]One critics wrote that it's just a bunch of thrown together scenes that didn't feel connected and that was true to an extent.

r65 That's a good way to put it. And what was up with people randomly running into each other in the city? That's just plain bad plotting, and they kept doing it as well. I also thought of Dark Phoenix and how it's better than that one. I just wish they worked harder on the emotional aspect because I really love watching sibling relationships on TV.

The kid actor is also a musician and apparently the youngest UN goodwill ambassador for the environment or something, so he is [italic]hungry[/italic] for it. Good for him, I say.

by Anonymousreply 68February 18, 2019 11:46 AM

The kid actor was very impressive. Beautiful hair, too, made me want to grow mine out longer again (even though I'm much older than him, of course).

by Anonymousreply 69February 18, 2019 12:08 PM

Just started watching it. LOVE Klaus! He should be in every scene! Diego is seriously hot. More of him, please. Allison is fucking annoying!

And I agree, that kid is a great actor!

by Anonymousreply 70February 18, 2019 1:30 PM

Diego is so sexy. He is the sex. I love Klaus too and the actor playing him does a great job. On Episode 8. Lots of good stuff coming

by Anonymousreply 71February 18, 2019 1:52 PM

Diego is pure sex in those black clothes!

by Anonymousreply 72February 18, 2019 2:20 PM

I was surprised at how good they made Pogo look. That's some really excellent animal CG for a TV show. Though I can't recall if they talked about his origin on the show so I assume Sir Reginald injected a chimp with that serum and that was it?

Notice Klaus' firm little bum in the foreground. We need way more of that next season. Plus shirtless Diego.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73February 18, 2019 2:24 PM

Michael Sheehan steals every scene he's in, but it's always that way with him.

by Anonymousreply 74February 18, 2019 2:29 PM

r74 Are there any other shows/movies with him worth checking out?

by Anonymousreply 75February 18, 2019 2:37 PM

He was hilarious in the first two seasons of Misfits, R75.

by Anonymousreply 76February 18, 2019 2:40 PM

[quote]I was surprised at how good they made Pogo look. That's some really excellent animal CG for a TV show.

It really is. The CGI effects are really good on this. Coupled with the music licensing this show has to have quite a budget.

[quote]Though I can't recall if they talked about his origin on the show so I assume Sir Reginald injected a chimp with that serum and that was it

I don't think his origins were given. Frankly, I didn't even think of it. A talking chimp among super-powered kids and a robot mom doesn't seem weird in the context of this show.

Umbrella Academy is just a more mature version of Nathan except Nathan could return from the dead, not communicate with them.

Here's when Nathan was compelled to have feelings for Simon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77February 18, 2019 2:41 PM

Spoiler Alert: We get to see Mom's origin story, or better why she was created in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 78February 18, 2019 2:45 PM

In some way it reminds me of the recent adaption of The Haunting of Hill House. Like, spooky mansion, fucked up family dynamics (daddy issues), supernatural / syfy element, siblings coming together after being separated for many years, romance between siblings where at least one is adopted (and parent disapproves), etc.

by Anonymousreply 79February 18, 2019 2:51 PM

I still don't get why the siblings were never close. If they grew up in that fucked up environment, wouldn't they bond over it? I mean, they had no one else.

by Anonymousreply 80February 18, 2019 2:58 PM

r78 I thought it was a bit weird to show that sequence [italic]after[/italic] showing us Vanya's powers being taken away. But I loved how she was created mainly for Vanya and then Diego was the one who got attached to her the most. I really bought his emotional connection to his "mom", as well as to Diego. Not so much to that cop Eudora, though. Probably because they relayed too much (well, all) of their past relationship through exposition.

r79 I've seen people elsewhere bring that up as well. I hope we get to see more of that mansion because it's a character in its own right. I kept wanting to take a screenshot every time the shot was framed by one of it beautiful arches but there were just so many.

by Anonymousreply 81February 18, 2019 3:00 PM

*as well as to Klaus, not Diego

by Anonymousreply 82February 18, 2019 3:02 PM

r80 Sir Reginald treating them as his employers rather than his kids could have had something to do with it, so that they perceived each other as coworkers rather than siblings. I agree that they have no one else so why not cherish this connection more? But they came together in the end, I suppose.

by Anonymousreply 83February 18, 2019 3:07 PM

STOP SAYING THAT R71

*lifts hand and slashes at R71*

by Anonymousreply 84February 18, 2019 3:09 PM

Anything with "Academy" in the title usually sucks.

by Anonymousreply 85February 18, 2019 3:10 PM

[quote]I still don't get why the siblings were never close. If they grew up in that fucked up environment, wouldn't they bond over it? I mean, they had no one else.

Reginald fostered competition between them and made their existence focused on the image of the Umbrella Academy and their feats, so I can understand why they likely viewed each other as fellow soldiers in war than siblings which made it easier to go their separate ways and lose contact with each other. Other than the animosity/betrayal they felt towards Vanya and her book, they do care for each other (Diego going back to check up on Klaus at the VFW, Allison trying to connect with Vanya, Ben supporting Klaus) but I can see how it's hard for them to bond when frivolity was verboten in the home.

by Anonymousreply 86February 18, 2019 3:12 PM

She was in that insufferably smug, preachy movie, but I don’t hate her.

by Anonymousreply 87February 18, 2019 3:53 PM

I’ve been watching over the long weekend. Love the show.

by Anonymousreply 88February 18, 2019 4:33 PM

It’s enjoyable. High art? No. But it’s entertaining, worth the time.

Something my kid pointed out - no one seems to recognize Allison, and no one uses cellphones.

by Anonymousreply 89February 18, 2019 7:22 PM

I don't know how far along in the series you are but Allison gets recognized.

And yeah, it's like a time out of place even though it's set in the present because no one uses cellphones or computers. Looking up someone on microfiche instead of Google?

by Anonymousreply 90February 18, 2019 7:25 PM

[quote] OP needs to take a poll before declaring Tom Hopper a DL fave.

See thread linked below.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91February 18, 2019 7:37 PM

Cameron Britton as Hazel.

He also played Edmund Kemper in Mindhunter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92February 18, 2019 7:48 PM

The dirigible, the weird skyline, and those rocket launches were a big hint that this takes place in some parallel steampunk-y world. I'm sure I've forgotten about a tonne of subtler hints as well.

r92 Loved him in Mindhunter (still have the chills thinking about his character!) but not here.

by Anonymousreply 93February 18, 2019 8:19 PM

R93, totally agree. Cameron's portrayal of Edmund Kemper gave me the chills. I vividly remember the scene where he was describing anal sex to Jonathan Groff's character.

by Anonymousreply 94February 18, 2019 8:30 PM

I didn't think about the age difference between Hazel and Agnes but the showrunner said that there was some pushback from Netflix execs about it but his intention was the subvert how there is always men with older women on shows and wanted to show that there are men who fall for older women.

By the end I was feeling Hazel. I like thick men.

Vulture outlines some of the biggest changes from the comics to the series. Tonally I can tell I wouldn't like the comics. It's too out there for my tastes like "Preacher". Not included in the list is that they tweaked Klaus' powers. In the comics he also levitates and he can only contact the dead while barefoot and the show gives a nod and wink to that by having Klaus barefoot in the show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95February 19, 2019 3:19 AM

I didn't mind the age difference between Agnes and Hazel, either, R95. I'm glad the showrunner fought to keep it the way he wanted it to be.

I wonder how long until season 2? It's going to be forever, isn't it?

by Anonymousreply 96February 19, 2019 3:30 AM

Does Tom Hopper show ass?

by Anonymousreply 97February 19, 2019 3:47 AM

What are Diego and Luther's powers exactly? I just started watching.

by Anonymousreply 98February 19, 2019 11:02 AM

Diego's knives never miss their target and Luther has superstrenght.

by Anonymousreply 99February 19, 2019 11:19 AM

Sorry, superstrength.

by Anonymousreply 100February 19, 2019 11:20 AM

R98 in the comics Diego can hold his breath for long periods of time and throw knives with deadly precision. It is never explained if it's a skill or power, but it seems more a power. The show is making it a power.

Luther was the typical strong man. Resistant to harm and incredibly strong. The martian ape torso only added to his strength.

by Anonymousreply 101February 19, 2019 6:21 PM

The way Diego's power was presented bothered me. If he never misses, shouldn't he be covered with knives and other projectiles from head to toe? He seemed to have exactly two knives at his disposal at any one time.

Same goes for Allison's power. I understand she's had extremely bad experiences using it in the past - that montage of rumours in her head while driving was a cool scene, particularly with the final "I heard a rumour you love me" - but still, I wanted to see her use it more often. And when she told her daughter "I heard a rumour you were tired", shouldn't that have staying power and made her daughter saddled with chronic fatigue for the rest of her life, same as with Vanya? Can she control the intensity/duration of her rumours?

r95 Hadn't even noticed the age difference until your post; those execs don't give their viewers enough credit. And I love the actress but I thought Agnes was written as too helpless and almost pathetic in a way, complete with having to be rescued at the very end. Though I understand not everyone can, needs, or even wants to be a hero, which is fine.

by Anonymousreply 102February 19, 2019 6:45 PM

r102 he had more than two knives. his outfit had places for several

by Anonymousreply 103February 19, 2019 6:53 PM

r103 That's exactly what confused me. The actor said in an interview he was poking people on the set who walked past him because he had so many knives on him. So why so many scenes of him using hand-to-hand combat only, with only a couple of knives getting thrown here and there?

by Anonymousreply 104February 19, 2019 6:56 PM

*engaging in hand-to hand combat

by Anonymousreply 105February 19, 2019 6:56 PM

I'm wondering why Diego has to work as a janitor and live in a boiler room. Couldn't he monetize his skills somehow?

by Anonymousreply 106February 19, 2019 7:01 PM

He saw himself as superhero who couldn't handle authority (his dad's or the police force's).

by Anonymousreply 107February 19, 2019 7:14 PM

He's too principled to become an assassin.

by Anonymousreply 108February 19, 2019 7:15 PM

What I cannot wrap my head around was - how come there wasn't a second generation of students at the academy? And what happened to the other 36 children born to Virgin mothers?

by Anonymousreply 109February 19, 2019 7:17 PM

I guess it was a one-time event so there was only one generation? I thought some of the other children would turn up as villains, but that didn't happen. Maybe it will next season.

by Anonymousreply 110February 19, 2019 7:22 PM

From what I read of the comics those 7 were the only babies that survived the spontaneous birth. I assume the series will maybe have others appear as antagonists, too.

by Anonymousreply 111February 19, 2019 7:24 PM

Yeah ok, R110 and R111 - it's just that to me the name academy means school, so multiple classes. And I wish they had made explicit that those other kids died (if they did)

by Anonymousreply 112February 19, 2019 7:28 PM

I was thinking/hoping that, R111. I'd like to read the graphic novel before continued viewing (up to Ep. 4).

It's eccentric like Watchmen or Preacher, with slow then action-filled parts. A few of the actors don't interest me, like Eleen's creepy new boyfriend. Tom's ape suit was disappointing. I wanted fap material. It looks like Plan Nine From Outer Space.

Still, oddly amusing.

by Anonymousreply 113February 19, 2019 7:29 PM

R102 you are the reason script writers need objective consultants . Lol, you point out so many valid flaws. Ok, so Allison's power is actually reality manipulation via lies (altering what is ). In the show they limit her to hypnotic suggestion, but respect that Allison dictates the terms intuitively/consciously . The way Allison's powers in this series work is she has a desired effect and therefore "defines the terms". So, if she understands the limit she wants implicitly then so does her target. This is why if she says , " I heard a rumor, you wanted to give me all your money," the target doesn't constantly search for every penny they own; they give her all the money the have own them at the moment. Implicitly it is understood she means the money on your person right now, so the person would not go to the ATM and empty their bank account and so forth. I'm going to answer R104 for Diego's part of your inquiry.

R104 it's a thing shows do to make the series "more interesting". It's essentially the Ghandalf effect. Some characters have powers/skills so remarkable they can solve any problem. They have to make characters stupid so the plot isn't resolved in like a few hours. Diego's ability to precisely kill humans with knives means Cha Cha and Hazel die in less than 30 minutes tops. The same with Allison. The limited her to Hypnotic Suggestion, however she could have easily made both assassins forget who they were, or some other deterrent memory like wanted to kill one another. Telekinetics make plots hard, so they avoid them as a rule. This is why Klaus is limited to being a medium on Umbrella Academy. If you watch The Gifted, sooooo many characters have water downed powers it's sad. You can't have a Blink like she was in X-Men Days of Future Past. You also can't have Flash-like characters. It's why the limit #5 to teleportation based time manipulation instead of full time manipulation like Ilyria from Angel.

The Punisher and Daredevil are about the only comic-to-TV adaptation that aren't far off b/c the upper limits of the characters still can be thwarted by normal humans.

by Anonymousreply 114February 19, 2019 7:30 PM

r114 I accept your Gandalf reasoning, but I would still like to see just one scene per season of Diego going tits to the glass with his knives. I don't mind him using his fists otherwise, because he looks so damn good doing that as well. Just no firearms, ever.

by Anonymousreply 115February 19, 2019 7:41 PM

[quote]it's just that to me the name academy means school, so multiple classes

r112 Leave it to the millionaire douchebag to name his band of bought children an "academy". Though it certainly helped with the branding as well, seeing how they went public later on.

by Anonymousreply 116February 19, 2019 7:44 PM

Why didn’t Luther just snap Vanya’s neck when he had her in his bear hug? Why didn’t Diego just throw a knife to her heart while she was playing onstage?

Why didn’t Allison die in minutes if her neck was slashed? Why didn’t Allison use her powers to soothe her ex and reclaim custody of her daughter?

by Anonymousreply 117February 19, 2019 8:07 PM

r117 Luther wouldn't just kill his sister on the spot mere seconds after she broke down, apologizing for what she had done to Allison. Diego probably thought there was another way as well, and hoped pinning her to the ground would do the trick.

Allson not dying was ridiculous. How long did it take them to return to the academy? Number Five didn't teleport them, did he? Why not go to a local hospital instead?! Though I like that she's still alive. She didn't use her powers on her ex because she hit rock bottom and realized her entire life was a sham, built on those rumours. I mean, using it on a kid whose brain is still developing seems really fucking questionable to me.

by Anonymousreply 118February 19, 2019 8:18 PM

The cop that helped Allison was Lowkey sexy

by Anonymousreply 119February 19, 2019 8:19 PM

Why doesn't 5 have a name?

by Anonymousreply 120February 19, 2019 8:21 PM

the sex

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121February 19, 2019 8:22 PM

I wish they had Justin H. Min sporting the same haircut he has in real life. The slicked back hair somehow made him look less handsome than he actually is.

I also want him to feature more next season.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122February 19, 2019 8:30 PM

R122 He's hot! Shame we don't see much of him. Wish he was more of a sidekick to Klaus.

by Anonymousreply 123February 19, 2019 8:36 PM

Justin Min is bae

by Anonymousreply 124February 19, 2019 8:37 PM

Justin Min is deadboyfriend goals

by Anonymousreply 125February 19, 2019 8:37 PM

R125 LOL!

by Anonymousreply 126February 19, 2019 8:43 PM

When did Ellen Page get so fucking annoying? Odd how that happens.

by Anonymousreply 127February 19, 2019 8:50 PM

r127 triggered much breeder?!

by Anonymousreply 128February 19, 2019 8:53 PM

Vanya wasn't interesting until she became psycho bitch White Violin. So, i found her tolerable all of fourteen minutes.

by Anonymousreply 129February 19, 2019 8:53 PM

r129 Ha, exactly. I was shouting at the screen, "Pick up that white violin before you time-jump or Vanya is going to get boring again!"

by Anonymousreply 130February 19, 2019 8:57 PM

She has zero sex appeal. A midget, angry woman who is angry for all the wrong reasons. Ellen would sleep with a trans with a dick I guarantee that. She is a member of the SJW borg.

by Anonymousreply 131February 19, 2019 9:13 PM

r132 stop projecting

by Anonymousreply 132February 19, 2019 9:35 PM

There were numerous people on Twitter who felt that everything about Vanya signaled that she was a lesbian and that it was a cop out to not have her actually be one. I would think Page doesn't want to be pigeonholed, but I can only imagine the outrage if Vanya was a lesbian and she'd get with a manipulative girlfriend then people would complain about the dark lesbian trope atop of the bury-your-gays trope. There are already people mad that Klaus' romance takes place off-screen.

by Anonymousreply 133February 19, 2019 9:43 PM

R133 if she didn't want to be pigeonholed as a lesbian, maybe she should have made an actual effort in terms of her wardrobe and presentation. She's basically wearing her own clothes and playing herself.

by Anonymousreply 134February 19, 2019 9:48 PM

God, imagine the furious outrage and wanking over at io9/Jezebel, home to the cuntiest of cunts (Beth Elderkin included. How that fat dyke gets work is beyond me)

by Anonymousreply 135February 19, 2019 9:53 PM

r135 hahha you fucking snowflake

by Anonymousreply 136February 19, 2019 10:02 PM

Ladies, gentlemen and undecided, Betty Elderkin's here at R136!

by Anonymousreply 137February 19, 2019 10:03 PM

I dont know enough about Page to know about her real life day-to-day wardrobe so I assumed Vanya's blah clothing was, at first, a match for her blah, depressive personality. As the series unfolded, I figured her clothing must have been a manifestation of her true personality/power being blocked. The suit(s) and eye makeup she sported in the end scenes were fabulous and flattering.

by Anonymousreply 138February 20, 2019 12:45 AM

R138 No, the oversized buttoned-up shirts are exactly what she wears in real life as well. Tragic on her little frame. And indeed very blah.

by Anonymousreply 139February 20, 2019 1:41 AM

I've only watched the first episode. The dad character is giving off noncey vibes.

by Anonymousreply 140February 20, 2019 2:00 AM

Female character wears pants = Lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 141February 20, 2019 2:02 AM

There's a scene with Michael Sheehan in his skimpy underwear, he's got a nice bulge. IIRC in the Misfits, there's a running joke that he can suck his own dick.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142February 20, 2019 5:58 AM

^^Robert^^ michael sheehan

by Anonymousreply 143February 20, 2019 6:01 AM

[quote]IIRC in the Misfits, there's a running joke that he can suck his own dick.

Nathan talks about trying at the 47 second mark.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144February 20, 2019 6:21 AM

God, I miss Misfits. It was genuinely brilliant - especially when they revealed who the guy in the mask was. (Phwoar)

by Anonymousreply 145February 20, 2019 8:35 AM

I thought Robert was an idiot for leaving Misfits so soon.

by Anonymousreply 146February 20, 2019 11:55 AM

I was so entertained and honestly shocked by that reveal, R145!

I don't blame him for wanting to try something new but the show was never the same after he left, R146.

by Anonymousreply 147February 20, 2019 1:24 PM

Why did Diego turn off his mom and lie about it?

by Anonymousreply 148February 20, 2019 1:24 PM

[quote]I don't blame him for wanting to try something new but the show was never the same after he left

I stuck with the show until the end and it never faltered to me. Joseph Gilgun was a great replacement for Nathan.

[quote]Why did Diego turn off his mom and lie about it?

He was the main one going on about how they shouldn't turn her off. And if he had a sudden change of heart Luther would become suspicious of Mom and the reason Diego wanted to switch her off seeing as Diego was the main one defending keeping her "alive".

by Anonymousreply 149February 20, 2019 1:54 PM

Also, she was quite unwell at that point, sewing her own "skin" into that fabric. She probably wasn't maintained properly after the old bastard died. So Diego basically euthanized her out of pity.

[quote]Joseph Gilgun was a great replacement for Nathan.

Gilgun is doing marvelous work now in Preacher, really rocking that council estate trash look that turns me on so much.

by Anonymousreply 150February 20, 2019 2:12 PM

How and when did Ben die? Was it ever explained?

by Anonymousreply 151February 20, 2019 2:37 PM

There hasn't been an explanation on how Ben died. Didn't Klaus mention him being brutally murdered?

I can't gauge how old he's supposed to be. In the comics the siblings disbanded after his death but on the show haven't they been estranged for over ten years?

by Anonymousreply 152February 20, 2019 3:36 PM

I believe the only mention is that Ben died on a mission and it's kind of implied that that was the beginning of the end and the others left one by one.

by Anonymousreply 153February 20, 2019 3:47 PM

I'm really disappointed in Netflix. We watched Hazel romance that grandma for half a season, but Klaus barely gets a quick kiss? Seriously? Even Vanya and her creepy boyfriend got to have sex and they had zero sexual chemistry.

by Anonymousreply 154February 20, 2019 4:53 PM

r154 Same. Hazel and Agnes, Vanya and Harold, Number Five and his mannequin, Luthor and Allison, plus Diego pining after Eudora - this season was really skewed towards the straights. I demand they show us more of Klaus and his squeeze and have Ben also be gay next season so as to balance things out.

Did we really get to see Vanya have sex with Harold? I must have blocked that out of my memory completely.

by Anonymousreply 155February 20, 2019 5:02 PM

I got the feeling that Diego was afraid that his "mom" malfunctioning may have made her kill his "dad." He switched her off out of fear that she would harm herself or someone else, or even implicate her. He knew the other siblings weren't as sympathetic to her as he was and they'd think nothing of switching her off, because they hadn't been as close to her. I do think we're meant to wonder if she's sentient and really does care about her "kids" in her own robot way.

Allison and Luther grew up together and psychologically they're siblings. So we get straight incest making out in multiple scenes and one tiny gay peck. Thanks, Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 156February 20, 2019 5:08 PM

R155 I remember them making out and Vanya taking her shirt off. Sex was kinda implied.

by Anonymousreply 157February 20, 2019 5:13 PM

Allison and Luther grew up together and psychologically they're siblings. So we get straight incest making out in multiple scenes and one tiny gay peck. Thanks, Netflix.

r156 Yup. They were trying to sell us on the sibling bond between those people and then they throw this arc in, which only breaks the illusion further.

by Anonymousreply 158February 20, 2019 5:18 PM

I love the dynamic between Klaus and Ben. Hope it gets explored a bit more.

Klaus is my favorite! He just oozes sex appeal and he's witty and sarcastic. By the way, his sexuality is not really addressed on the show. When he was talking to Diego about Dave, Diego assumed it was a girl. Were the siblings unaware of his attraction to men growing up? And I'm not saying he's gay, he could be bi. Is there more of his backstory in the comics?

by Anonymousreply 159February 20, 2019 5:22 PM

I really liked the brotherly dynamic between Klaus and Diego actually. They came across as real siblings who drag each other all day but also have each other's backs. Ben is so fascinating, has he just been hanging around for years watching his family move on without him? And whoever called hat Aidan Gallagher kid a revelation is spot on, he's incredible.

by Anonymousreply 160February 20, 2019 5:45 PM

Thread on DL five years from now: "Gallagher and Friends, Part 30". He's the next Chalamet, mark me!

r160 I got the impression Ben was tied to Klaus and so moved only wherever Klaus went? Maybe they'll explain that next season. I agree that Diego's and Klaus' relationship was the best. They're so different from each other but still feel like actual brothers.

by Anonymousreply 161February 20, 2019 5:53 PM

John Magaro, who plays Anya's love interest Leonard, is also in the action horror movie Overlord.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162February 20, 2019 6:33 PM

R161 yes you're right, only Klaus can see Ben and then only when he's sober.... so Ben has just been hanging around Klaus for a decade or so and watching his family. How sad. The comics don't explain how Ben died, only that it was somehow Luther's fault. Hopefully the show dives deeper into that in S2.

by Anonymousreply 163February 20, 2019 6:39 PM

[quote]By the way, his sexuality is not really addressed on the show. When he was talking to Diego about Dave, Diego assumed it was a girl. Were the siblings unaware of his attraction to men growing up? And I'm not saying he's gay, he could be bi. Is there more of his backstory in the comics?

Someone on Twitter uploaded a page from the comic where Luther was surprised Klaus had a child because he assumed Klaus was gay. In an interview with Collider Sheehan said originally they were going to have Klaus fall in love with a woman in Vietnam. Elsewhere, the showrunner said they made the decision organically to make Klaus gay so he wasn't always intended to be gay, maybe bi.

[quote]I got the impression Ben was tied to Klaus and so moved only wherever Klaus went?

Ben looked surprised when Klaus discussed Dave with Diego so he wasn't with Klaus in Vietnam which makes sense as he didn't even exist then so there would be no way for him to exist in that timeline.

Maybe Ben and Klaus were the closest so that's why he's always near. He can't be sticking around for unfinished business because he would have said so to Klaus. And Klaus seems to be able to see him whether he's high or sober while he needs to be sober to communicate with other ghosts.

[quote]Maybe they'll explain that next season. I agree that Diego's and Klaus' relationship was the best. They're so different from each other but still feel like actual brothers.

With the exception of Luther and Allison, I believe  their portrayals as siblings. The battle for supremacy between Luther and Diego is like the relationship I have with my oldest brother who believes that his birth order (and in Luther's case, rank) means he's the boss. Other relationship reminds me of siblings whose closeness was tenuous and childhood and once you become adults and leave the home there is nothing really tethering you to each other, but despite that distance, you still respect the familial bond.

Magaro was also in Carol as the guy who tries to woo Rooney Mara's character away from her boyfriend.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164February 20, 2019 7:00 PM

Umbrella Academy: What happened to Ben?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165February 21, 2019 2:22 AM

Oh Tom

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166February 21, 2019 9:37 AM

Diego and Klaus have such great chemistry off-screen as well.

Page looking downtrodden, as per the uzh.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167February 21, 2019 11:29 AM

Ellen Page is a tedious scold.

by Anonymousreply 168February 21, 2019 12:15 PM

Robert can't keep his hands off David. I don't blame him; he looks so cuddly!

Can that Anjelica Huston-looking interviewer do all these press junkets from now on? She's fab.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169February 21, 2019 4:27 PM

Ellen has no sex appeal. A lot of lesbians don't . It's sad.

by Anonymousreply 170February 21, 2019 6:15 PM

I agree, this interviewer is good. I hate it when it's some giggly young girl fangirling over the hot actors.

by Anonymousreply 171February 21, 2019 6:15 PM

R170 Never mind the sex appeal, she could at least try to have some chemistry with Harold. She looked surly and one-note throughout the whole series.

by Anonymousreply 172February 21, 2019 6:19 PM

Should she have been an upbeat person with her character's upbringing? Her character is a depressed pushover who was told she's the only one in a family without superpowers which made her feel alone and excluded all the time.

by Anonymousreply 173February 21, 2019 6:24 PM

r170 Perhaps the lesbians just have a different criteria for female sex appeal than what is traditionally sold to us through hetero popular culture. Some of them get all moist over the butchness and the severity. Which admittedly a lot of us gay guys also get hot for. Just look at the thread for The Punisher, for example.

r173 But she looks the same in the interview at r167. Was she still in character then?

by Anonymousreply 174February 21, 2019 6:26 PM

Plenty of lesbians have sex appeal, but Ellen Page is not one of them. I suspect that's deliberate. She doesn't trade on her sexuality or sexual expression in her performances. Plenty of men don't either. I don't necessarily think that's a problem except when her characters are supposed to be in sexual situations or have sexual chemistry with someone, so I do think it was a little bit of a handicap in this role.

by Anonymousreply 175February 21, 2019 6:31 PM

Okay, I see she looks lively and animated in this interview with Robert and the kid actor. Maybe she just needs to be in proper company to lighten up.

Anyway, I don't want my posts to turn into an Ellen Page bashing thing. I started watching this show because of her and her alone, which is why I was so disappointed with how dour her character was most of the time. I want to see her kick ass and dance like in that first episode, damn it!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176February 21, 2019 6:39 PM

The issue for me with her character wasn't that she was "too dour." I wouldn't expect Vanya to be very cheerful. She had reason to be dour, her upbringing was hellish. But her performance in this was downright inscrutable at times. She would say things about always being left out of her family and feeling unremarkable, lonely and not special with all the expression and nuance of someone reciting a grocery list. Flat, uninterested delivery throughout. We're supposed to think that she was angry and resentful enough to write a tell-all book about them but we didn't see much of that in her actual scenes. Classic case of telling vs showing. There was just no insight into her character's emotional life at all. In contrast the closeups of Emmy, David, Tom, Robert and Aidan showed so many layers to their characters and how they felt about each other. That scene with Diego and Grace in the first episode was heartbreaking because they put so much emotion into just a few simple lines. Ellen Page is a good actor and I think she's really likable even when playing serious roles, but it's like she phoned it in with this one for some reason. Maybe the character didn't resonate with her much?

by Anonymousreply 177February 21, 2019 6:55 PM

Do you think her performance was also flat when she cried and begged for Luther's forgiveness when she returned to the mansion after she thought she killed her sister?

by Anonymousreply 178February 21, 2019 6:57 PM

Agree, R177

by Anonymousreply 179February 21, 2019 7:03 PM

I still maintain that her character was too dour. I mean, she had a roof over her head in a millionaire's house, so was her upbringing really that bad for a child of a freak birth? She could as easily have been displayed as a curiosity in a Russian circus somewhere. She was supposedly passionate playing the violin, and yet she just looked depressed doing that as well. Completely dissatisfied on every level. Even people with awful childhood traumas are cheerful now and then. Adults with fulfilling jobs and hobbies just don't tend to ponder childhood stuff on a daily basis. So, was there any other reason for her depression, apart from being single, which is a terrible reason?

r178 I loved that moment and wanted more of that.

by Anonymousreply 180February 21, 2019 7:06 PM

R178 no she was fantastic in that part and she did have occasional moments where she shone, really wish we would have seen more of the chops I know she has more consistently. I don't agree that she should have been more cheerful though. Having a roof over your head doesn't amount to much when your only parents are a literal robot and a psycho who treats you like a forgettable spare part. The whole point of the series is that these people were damaged to an extreme by their upbringing.

by Anonymousreply 181February 21, 2019 7:18 PM

It makes sense why her character would be sulky and depressed but she didn't emote in any of her scenes with Harold. When she told Allison she loved him, it came out of nowhere. She didn't act 'in love' when she was with him, and I don't mean over the top lovey-dovey stuff. It would have been nice to see the contrast between her interactions with the siblings and someone she claimed to be in love with. She showed no range in this role and I've seen her do better.

by Anonymousreply 182February 21, 2019 10:46 PM

For Vanya, a person who felt like a non-entity in her family, it makes sense to me that she would fall in love with Leonard or think she's in love with him. He told her all the right things about how special she was, that he was unnerved by her siblings abilities and preferred her, he was supportive of her career. It was everything she craved. It may not have been a passionate love like Klaus and Dave but for her it was a comfortable love. And being as closed off and detached as she was, I think this is the only way Vanya can express affection.

by Anonymousreply 183February 22, 2019 1:26 AM

Makes sense, R183

by Anonymousreply 184February 22, 2019 1:58 AM

[quote]We watched Hazel romance that grandma

We call her Cloris Leachman.

by Anonymousreply 185February 22, 2019 2:16 AM

I'm gonna by, um, occupied for the next little bit here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186February 22, 2019 2:17 AM

Whoever cast the three brothers has great taste! They are all sexy!

by Anonymousreply 187February 22, 2019 10:54 AM

They really are, R187. All sexy in a totally different way, too!

by Anonymousreply 188February 22, 2019 11:52 AM

Are there shirtless scenes of Tom Hopper in the show?

by Anonymousreply 189February 22, 2019 12:29 PM

Hot

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190February 22, 2019 1:18 PM

Two Dads ⬆️

by Anonymousreply 191February 22, 2019 1:21 PM

[quote]Are there shirtless scenes of Tom Hopper in the show?

Yes. I think at the beginning of episode three when he's in bed then comes out of his room in boxer shorts and an open robe.

by Anonymousreply 192February 22, 2019 1:43 PM

Yeah, there's some flashback scenes with him shirtless.

by Anonymousreply 193February 22, 2019 1:51 PM

Not enough, R189, but a few. His (real) body is beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 194February 22, 2019 1:52 PM

A younger Tom Hopper

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195February 22, 2019 1:58 PM

Wow bro

by Anonymousreply 196February 22, 2019 2:03 PM

^^ You guys should check out the first couple seasons of black sails - he was so hot as Billy Bones

by Anonymousreply 197February 22, 2019 2:13 PM

Tom Hopper will always be Billy Bones to me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198February 22, 2019 2:16 PM

R189 the gorilla torso which is featured a few times :( does not make for a hot look.

You are better off watching Black Sails.

by Anonymousreply 199February 22, 2019 2:31 PM

Black Sails, up next for viewing!

by Anonymousreply 200February 22, 2019 2:33 PM

Has the show been denounced yet? I'm sure someone, somewhere is triggered.

by Anonymousreply 201February 22, 2019 2:39 PM

I just saw on Twitter that some people are pissed because they didn't gender flip several of the main characters, R201. 🙄

Isn't that what tumblr and fanfiction is for? Or, write your own graphic novel or program for Netflix with the ratio of gender/genderless persons that you feel is acceptable. Good luck with it.

by Anonymousreply 202February 22, 2019 2:51 PM

Black Sails is a great show and half the characters are LGBT. Tom's is not explicitly one of them though he doesn't really have a love interest either. Starts slow but has a very satisfying series finale. And he is shirtless a lot.

by Anonymousreply 203February 22, 2019 5:04 PM

R203, of course he is shirtless a lot. They know what the public want. :)

by Anonymousreply 204February 22, 2019 5:19 PM

And in Merlin of course

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205February 22, 2019 5:33 PM

I’m Here for David Castaneda

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206February 22, 2019 7:19 PM

Sexy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207February 23, 2019 4:23 AM

Are the graphic novels worth reading?

by Anonymousreply 208February 23, 2019 4:30 AM

The pace is too slow and there's lot of fillers and unnecessary scenes or dialogue. Not worth to binge-watch.

by Anonymousreply 209February 23, 2019 5:18 AM

It’s way too slow and talky

by Anonymousreply 210February 23, 2019 5:47 AM

Tom Hopper working out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211February 23, 2019 7:32 AM

Any caps of Hopper’s ridiculous cock outline in the leather suit in episode four?

by Anonymousreply 212February 23, 2019 12:09 PM

I guess this explains Page's wardrobe in the series.

[quote] I was distinctly told, by people in the industry, when I started to become known: ‘People cannot know you’re gay.’ And I was pressured – forced, in many cases – to always wear dresses and heels for events and photo shoots.” Ellen Page rolls her eyes at me expansively. “As if lesbians don’t wear dresses and heels. But I will never let anyone put me in anything I feel uncomfortable in ever again.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213February 24, 2019 2:07 PM

I watched 2 eps & tuned out. Boring, incomprehensible mess, with incest undertones. Gross.

And no full frontal nudity by Tom Hopper.

by Anonymousreply 214February 24, 2019 2:46 PM

I agree. Way too dark, slow, and dour. Netflix has too much gloomy nihilistic programming

by Anonymousreply 215February 24, 2019 3:32 PM

r214 and r215 should stick with watching Fuller House. That's more their speed.

by Anonymousreply 216February 25, 2019 1:22 PM

[QUOTE] Klaus is my favorite! He just oozes sex appeal and he's witty and sarcastic. By the way, his sexuality is not really addressed on the show. When he was talking to Diego about Dave, Diego assumed it was a girl. Were the siblings unaware of his attraction to men growing up? And I'm not saying he's gay, he could be bi. Is there more of his backstory in the comics?

I'm willing to bet my year's salary they will make the character bi/pan/fluid just like Elliott in The Magicians. These shows never have the balls to show exclusively gay men.

Just watch...

by Anonymousreply 217February 25, 2019 6:09 PM

Was Robert even acting when he was portraying Claus? LOL They just seem so similar (minus the drugs, obviously).

by Anonymousreply 218February 25, 2019 6:11 PM

Klaus was my favorite character by far!

by Anonymousreply 219February 25, 2019 6:12 PM

Diego and Klaus had excellent chemistry and I really enjoyed their scenes together. They seemed closer than the other siblings, don't know why.

by Anonymousreply 220February 25, 2019 6:16 PM

[Quote]I'm really disappointed in Netflix. We watched Hazel romance that grandma for half a season, but Klaus barely gets a quick kiss? Seriously? Even Vanya and her creepy boyfriend got to have sex and they had zero sexual chemistry.

THIS. I'm annoyed too. The romance for Klaus was important in so many ways, we saw a different side to him than just the drug addicted sarcastic dimwit. It would have been nice to see more of it to flesh out the character.

by Anonymousreply 221February 25, 2019 6:22 PM

[Quote]I demand they show us more of Klaus and his squeeze and have Ben also be gay next season so as to balance things out.

I second this.

by Anonymousreply 222February 25, 2019 6:23 PM

Okay. I'll be the Negative Nancy. I usually love genre Sci-Fi/fantasy shows, but this was a derivative mess and only mildly enjoyable.

Most scenes telegraph quite loudly to the viewer "THIS IS A BLATANT RIPOFF/MASHUP OF X-MEN, HEROES, AND HAUNTING OF HILL HOUSE!"

The X men tie in is obvious. From Heroes we get the convoluted time travel stuff that doesn't make a lot of sense. The ending/apocalypse with the characters coalescing around Vanya screams "save the cheerleader, save the world." From Haunting of Hill House, you get the estranged siblings coming together--in a creepy old mansion--due to a death in the family. Hell, you even have one of the siblings having written a tell all book that pisses off the siblings. Just like Hill House.

What you have is a mess cobbled together from a ton of other shows.

The music is intrusive and annoying, and is clearly used to pad the episode length.

None of the characters are engaging except maybe 5. Vanya, Luther, and Diego are all brooding with no soul. Allison has almost no personality at all. And Klaus? Sheehan is just giving us his Misfits character. Oh and thanks, writers, for yet again making the crazy/drug addicted/promiscuous character the gay one. It would have been much more groundbreaking to make Luther or Diego gay. But no. More stereotype drivel.

The plots get too convoluted. The time travel stuff doesn't stand up to much scrutiny. Many of the plot threads go unresolved. The Luther/Allison almost incest stuff is cringey. On and on.

I suspect the show is going to end up like Lost. They'll write themselves into a bunch of corners and we won't end up with a satisfying ending/resolution.

I think I just need a break from these types of shows.

by Anonymousreply 223February 25, 2019 6:48 PM

The level of acting ability looks to be a lower priority for this show. It seems like most of the actors got cast on the show because they mostly closely met a specific appearance type rather than the one with the most acting talent/personality.

by Anonymousreply 224February 25, 2019 7:33 PM

What is this shit, anyway? Twee title makes it sound Harry Potterish. If it is, please let me know so I can avoid it.

by Anonymousreply 225February 25, 2019 7:48 PM

More Xmenish than Potterish, R225, with characters and plot points ripped right out of Heroes, Haunting of Hill House, and Misfits.

Throw in meandering plot lines that don't resolve, unintelligible time travel paradox. and a bunch of intrusive music to pad episode time, and...

Well you have the right idea. Avoid.

I don't understand the praise it's getting. It's a cobbled together, reductive mess.

by Anonymousreply 226February 25, 2019 8:50 PM

Thanks r226 I stopped watching Heroes very early on and I'll continue to avoid Haunting of Hill House and Misfits, now that I've heard that such things exist.

by Anonymousreply 227February 25, 2019 9:02 PM

R217 Eliot was forced to marry a woman due to Fillory laws about the High King, his position, but he's only ever really loved Quentin and not to spoil anything, but in these last few episodes that's been the main romantic relationship being explored on the show. Quentin's bisexual but Eliot is not. Fans call the ship "The High King and the Bi King" for a reason.

by Anonymousreply 228February 25, 2019 9:09 PM

You misunderstand, R227. Heroes was indeed terrible, but Hill House and Misfits are actually good shows.

Umbrella Academy is not worth your time, though.

by Anonymousreply 229February 25, 2019 9:16 PM

Agreed R229. One episode of either Hill House or Misfits had more narrative cohesion than all of The Umbrella Academy put together.

It was a passably enjoyable show with some standouts and decent CGI, but it really isn't anything special at all.

by Anonymousreply 230February 25, 2019 9:21 PM

Blah blah blah, R228. Spare me the mental gymnastics.

The bottom line is these shows refuse to just show an exclusively gay male, and always attempt to de-gay them to some degree. Whether it's making them bi/pan/fluid or putting them in mmf threesomes and straight marriages like Elliot.

I guarantee UA will do the same with Klaus.

Mark my word.

by Anonymousreply 231February 25, 2019 9:21 PM

I like some of the stuff this show is doing, it has style and a nice sense of humor and potential...but they are failing on the character development part.

Half way through and Luthor, Allison and Vanya are pretty boring and not developed in a way that makes you emotionally invested in these characters. It doesn't help that the acting isn't that great. That little scene like Diego's flashback with their mother was great, but it stands out because of how rare moments like that have been that gives the show a needed sense of humanity.

Robert Sheehan is very watchable though, but of course he is fun to watching playing right into type. Won't complain how he is frequently half naked as well.

by Anonymousreply 232February 25, 2019 9:28 PM

[quote]Except for Diego's scene with his mother and Klaus' scene with his partner in Vietnam, none of the scenes had an emotional impact on me. Zero impression that these people have sibling-like bonds (except for Klaus and Diego)

I agree. Klaus and Diego are the only two that felt like they had real chemistry and played characters that grew up together, but then they are probably the two best actors of the heroes.

by Anonymousreply 233February 25, 2019 9:35 PM

Let's hope Klaus gets a boyfriend if there is a season 2.

by Anonymousreply 234February 25, 2019 9:43 PM

Does anyone else think Ellen Page looks like Chad Lowe in the preview picture?

by Anonymousreply 235February 25, 2019 9:54 PM

[quote] When he was talking to Diego about Dave, Diego assumed it was a girl. Were the siblings unaware of his attraction to men growing up? And I'm not saying he's gay, he could be bi. Is there more of his backstory in the comics?

They have been estranged since they were like 17, it is realistic to me that Diego wouldn't really know much about Klaus' sexuality.

[quote]I can't gauge how old he's supposed to be. In the comics the siblings disbanded after his death but on the show haven't they been estranged for over ten years?

Yeah, that is what confuses me. Based on what we know of the timeline Ben should be about 17, but they didn't cast an actor who looks that age.

by Anonymousreply 236February 26, 2019 3:50 AM

This best thing about the show are the lace leather pants they got for Robert Sheehan. I'm kinda in love with them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 237February 26, 2019 3:59 AM

Klaus is the only character who is fully fleshed out and has a personality. You can also tell that Robert loves playing that character. The best acting on the show is done by him and 5.

by Anonymousreply 238February 26, 2019 10:42 AM

[Quote]I'm willing to bet my year's salary they will make the character bi/pan/fluid just like Elliott in The Magicians.

Sheehan has referred to Klaus as pansexual in interviews, though season 1 only ever refers to him being with men.

by Anonymousreply 239February 26, 2019 1:50 PM

[quote]Does anyone else think Ellen Page looks like Chad Lowe in the preview picture?

Assuming that Chad Lowe has become a nun, that is an astute observation.

by Anonymousreply 240February 26, 2019 1:54 PM

You guys who think Klaus is a "fleshed out character" are adorable.

Sheehan is just playing his Misfits character. And the "flamboyantly dressed drug addicted wacky" character is just another cliché.

A clichéd archtype does not = good character.

by Anonymousreply 241February 26, 2019 4:54 PM

[Quote]Sheehan is just playing his Misfits character

Gurl, everyone realizes that. Sheehan basically plays the same character in everything, but he is good at that character.

by Anonymousreply 242February 26, 2019 5:10 PM

R44 I was not the poster you were addressing, but you are dead wrong about "virtue signaling." I have heard the term ore in the last two weeks than I could count. Maybe it has had a comeback via Jussie?

by Anonymousreply 243February 26, 2019 5:23 PM

R241 you misunderstand. It's not about Sheehan playing the same character. It's about Klaus having a personality. None of the other characters on the show (except maybe 5) have any personality, they are two-dimensional. Allison is a prime example. If Sheehan brings his own personality to the character, I'm all for it if it makes the character interesting. If every character on that show was bland, I wouldn't have bothered watching. He is the reason his interactions with Ben and Diego work. Can you imagine a show with a bunch of Allisons and Vanyas?

by Anonymousreply 244February 26, 2019 5:26 PM

Can David Castaneda be a DL fave? He is hot as fuck, and he pings too—nipple ring and all.

by Anonymousreply 245February 26, 2019 11:24 PM

David Castaneda is so fit.

by Anonymousreply 246February 27, 2019 8:00 AM

He’s is hot to death bro

by Anonymousreply 247February 27, 2019 8:01 AM

Add me to the list of gays gay didn’t like the show.....it’s a low rent rip off of several other things. Crap made for tween ‘shipper’ girls who think this is dark and edgy. I guess I am too old for this shit at 25 idk.

by Anonymousreply 248February 27, 2019 8:23 AM

Five and Klaus were the best parts about this show.

by Anonymousreply 249February 27, 2019 7:57 PM

I wish Robert Sheehan was gay, he's gorgeous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 250February 27, 2019 7:57 PM

R244 Preach! There's a reason Five and Klaus are the viewers' favorites. The others lacked any personality. Luther, Vanya and Allison in particular were boring af. Ben was interesting as Klaus' sidekick, same with Diego. The only times he was interesting were when he shared scenes with Klaus.

by Anonymousreply 251February 27, 2019 8:01 PM

[Quote]Crap made for tween ‘shipper’ girls

What about this show is geared towards shipping? There are barely any "ships" to be found.

by Anonymousreply 252February 27, 2019 8:01 PM

R57 Those tweets for Tom Hopper sound like they were written by DLers.

by Anonymousreply 253February 27, 2019 8:07 PM

Î think emotionally stunted characters don't make good movie or TV drama. But they make characters like Klaus look even more over the top camp and entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 254February 27, 2019 8:20 PM

Luther's character would be more interesting if he had his pre-chimp serum body and ran around naked, all of the time.

by Anonymousreply 255February 27, 2019 10:28 PM

No love for Kate Walsh? I've heard the stories (and maybe they are true and art does really imitate life) but I thought she was great as the Handler. Perfect balance of chewing the scene and actual acting.

by Anonymousreply 256February 27, 2019 11:11 PM

Diego is hot

by Anonymousreply 257February 27, 2019 11:20 PM

R252 well tell that to all the girls creaming themselves at the edits they make and post on YouTube about klaus and his lost love etc

by Anonymousreply 258February 27, 2019 11:22 PM

Shipping means to pair up two characters that are not (yet) a couple on the show.

by Anonymousreply 259February 27, 2019 11:23 PM

The kid who plays Five really gets that middle aged cynic vibe.

by Anonymousreply 260February 27, 2019 11:31 PM

[quote]Allison and Luther grew up together and psychologically they're siblings.

I don't even mind them having the incest plotline, what I do think it is weird is no one judges them for it. The other siblings should think it is weird, I mean c'mon, they are siblings since infancy. You'd think say Diego would give them shit. It also robs the drama of that plotline, if no one cares about their incestuous relationship, then what is even the conflict?

[quote]No love for Kate Walsh?

I think she did an admirable job in trying to support what IMO is the show's weakest plotline, all that background stuff with the time agency.

Though speaking of side characters Cameron Britton did do a good job as Hazel, guy has talent, he was also great in his supporting role in "Mindhunter".

by Anonymousreply 261February 27, 2019 11:41 PM

The incest plotline wasn't even weird to me because I could understand why being siblings wasn't an issue to Allison and Luther.  Their entire upbringing was unconventional: a man who was supposed to be a father but instead used them as test subjects and put them in the line of danger; a brother who disappears and no one cares and another one who is killed. By all appearances friovility was verboten. They were raised like they were classmates in Professor Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters. It's essentially a boarding school.

by Anonymousreply 262February 28, 2019 12:42 AM

[quote] The dirigible, the weird skyline, and those rocket launches were a big hint that this takes place in some parallel steampunk-y world.

The dirigible was The Hindenburg seen as a sabotage target for the time agents, just like the JFK assassination.

The spaceships I don't know. My first thought was it was showing a WW3 launch of a flock of ICBMs. Second guess the billionaire evacuated to earth from another world.

The weird skyline, well Canada is a weird and strange place.

[quote] Black Sails, up next for viewing!

Very good show, ostensibly about young Long John Silver but actually starring the beautiful bisexual Creole madame.

[quote] I was so disappointed with how dour her character was most of the time. I want to see her kick ass and dance like in that first episode, damn it!

Yes Ellen gives terrific comedy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 263February 28, 2019 12:46 AM

The Creole madame in Black Sails is a lesbian, not bisexual, R263. She was a prostitute but she didn't take any pleasure in it - it was just business. The only times she enjoyed sex was with women. The creators of the show have said as much. The lead character is bisexual, though.

I think Diego was interesting in his own right, especially with his scenes and backstory with Grace, but can agree that Five and Klaus were the standouts. That kid playing Five can act his ass off.

by Anonymousreply 264February 28, 2019 2:26 AM

The characters I didn't like were the ones that had zero personality, aka Luther, Vanya and Allison. They were all useless.

by Anonymousreply 265February 28, 2019 8:23 AM

[Quote]I think Diego was interesting in his own right, especially with his scenes and backstory with Grace, but can agree that Five and Klaus were the standouts. That kid playing Five can act his ass off.

I agree. Don't get me wrong, I didn't hate Diego. He's not my favorite, that has to be Five. Klaus was really good too. I liked Five, Klaus, Ben and Diego. I especially liked the scenes with Klaus and Diego. They have excellent chemistry, both on screen and off. They seem to get along great from the little I've seen of them in interviews.

by Anonymousreply 266February 28, 2019 8:26 AM

[Quote]No love for Kate Walsh? I've heard the stories (and maybe they are true and art does really imitate life) but I thought she was great as the Handler. Perfect balance of chewing the scene and actual acting.

I loved her in the role. She was perfect imo.

by Anonymousreply 267February 28, 2019 8:27 AM

[Quote]I think emotionally stunted characters don't make good movie or TV drama. But they make characters like Klaus look even more over the top camp and entertaining.

Yes, Klaus was OTT camp, but I didn't mind. At least his character was entertaining, like you said. Luther was just SO boring. Allison and Vanya were just... ugh. There is nothing interesting about them personality-wise. At least Klaus has a fun personality.

by Anonymousreply 268February 28, 2019 8:31 AM

[Quote]Though speaking of side characters Cameron Britton did do a good job as Hazel, guy has talent, he was also great in his supporting role in "Mindhunter".

Yeah, Hazel was really good. I enjoyed his character, not his crypt keeper love interest though. PS: He seems like such a nice and genuine guy too. Watch the interview in R250. Robert and David were great in that one as well.

by Anonymousreply 269February 28, 2019 8:37 AM

[quote] The Creole madame in Black Sails is a lesbian, not bisexual, [R263]. She was a prostitute but she didn't take any pleasure in it - it was just business. The only times she enjoyed sex was with women. The creators of the show have said as much.

Jessica Parker Kennedy plays a teenage girl in CW's The Flash. It's a bit jarring to see her in that after Black Sails.

[quote] The lead character is bisexual, though.

Are you referring to the male lead played by Toby Stephens or the female one played by Hannah New? Because the male leading character was full on gay (there's a hilarious scene where he and this lover's estranged wife go through the motions of having sex with each other for the benefit of others in the next room).

by Anonymousreply 270February 28, 2019 8:37 AM

[quote] Jessica Parker Kennedy plays a teenage girl in CW's The Flash. It's a bit jarring to see her in that after Black Sails.

Btw. her character on The Flash is lesbian, too.

by Anonymousreply 271February 28, 2019 8:39 AM

Aidan has a new behind the scenes video.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 272March 2, 2019 4:23 PM

r272 Damn, Diego's got some moves @10:13. But ugh, I have to stop watching these videos because I might morph into DL's official David Castañeda troll otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 273March 2, 2019 4:35 PM

Sheehan naked in "Fortitude" right before he performs a gruesome murder.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 274March 2, 2019 4:53 PM

David C is all that

by Anonymousreply 275March 2, 2019 5:09 PM

[quote]No love for Kate Walsh? I've heard the stories (and maybe they are true and art does really imitate life) but I thought she was great as the Handler.

Now some on Twitter are saying the show is anti-Semitic because The Handler spoke Yiddish so obviously this means that the show is suggesting Jewish people are trying to take over the world.

by Anonymousreply 276March 2, 2019 8:31 PM

[quote]No love for Kate Walsh? I've heard the stories (and maybe they are true and art does really imitate life) but I thought she was great as the Handler.

I didn't know who she was (I do know the film critic Katie Walsh) so my heart kept whispering that it's Wendie Malick, but then my brain would yell at it to shut the fuck up because that's impossible. She stumbled here and there in her delivery, so that's another reason why I suspected it might not be Wendie. I thought she was fine but wished she'd up the fabulous campy factor just a bit more. Felt like being edged, and not in a good way.

What are those stories you've heard? She into slave play?

by Anonymousreply 277March 2, 2019 8:44 PM

Nothing like that R277. She is just rumored to be a notorious bitch on set.

by Anonymousreply 278March 3, 2019 12:17 AM

r278 Weirdly enough, that's even more exciting for me to hear. It makes me so angry whenever I hear about B-listers and below misbehaving on the set. I feel like that's the one perk only A-listers should enjoy.

by Anonymousreply 279March 3, 2019 12:30 AM

My only response R279 is that Kate Walsh is not B list in the television world. She was a huge deal on Grey's Anatomy and her own spin-off, Private Practice. These shows were a decade ago, but still ...

by Anonymousreply 280March 4, 2019 10:43 PM

She was also on 13 Reasons Why

by Anonymousreply 281March 4, 2019 10:45 PM

r280 She literally has zero name recognition here in Europe so by that very fact cannot be an A-lister, sorry.

by Anonymousreply 282March 4, 2019 11:00 PM

The show was surprisingly predictable. Some fun bits. But a lot of derivative bits. I felt like I'd seen it all before.

by Anonymousreply 283March 5, 2019 12:42 AM

That's because you HAD seen it all before, R283.

by Anonymousreply 284March 5, 2019 12:46 AM

Will say that I wish it was a bit more adult. Would it kill them to have a little nudity?

by Anonymousreply 285March 5, 2019 12:46 AM

The series is rated TV-14, not MA r285. They apparently don't want to take it that adult where parental controls on netflix would block it.

by Anonymousreply 286March 5, 2019 1:05 AM

Klaus' best lines

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 287March 8, 2019 10:18 PM

Why did he ruin his beautiful body with that ugly tattoo? Ugh :(

by Anonymousreply 288March 9, 2019 7:06 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 289March 9, 2019 9:19 PM

I do hope that if there's a season 2 that we'll get better scenes of Klaus being gay

by Anonymousreply 290March 9, 2019 9:34 PM

The Virtue Academy?

by Anonymousreply 291March 9, 2019 9:36 PM

Klaus and Dave were a throwaway romance, Diego and the cop were a throwaway romance too. Both just existed to help give the main characters some motivation behind some of their actions.

by Anonymousreply 292March 9, 2019 9:39 PM

I hope we see Klaus learning to levitate next season. That would be pretty cool

by Anonymousreply 293March 15, 2019 5:22 PM

r288 Who ruined their body with a tattoo? Sheehan?

by Anonymousreply 294March 15, 2019 5:23 PM

And poor Tom Hopper, he always play annoying characters

by Anonymousreply 295March 15, 2019 5:25 PM

Why the fuck did they keep obeying Tom Hopper's orders when everything he did kept failling hard?

by Anonymousreply 296March 16, 2019 5:07 PM

Fall back into old habits r296. They were raised with him being "number 1" and are used to listening to him.

by Anonymousreply 297March 16, 2019 7:13 PM

Tom Hopper looks good but cannot act. I feel like Five and Klaus are carrying this show. The others are just so dull.

by Anonymousreply 298March 17, 2019 12:26 AM

R298 your acumen is needed greatly by casting directors at large. So many shows would be improved if production companies would stop trying to force shit to work.

by Anonymousreply 299March 17, 2019 12:38 AM

r298 I agree that Hopper is a bit flat most of the time and that ridiculous body suit isn't helping as it just makes him look like a lumbering oaf. But did you really think Diego was dull?

by Anonymousreply 300March 17, 2019 12:43 AM

Whenever I see the title of this thread I laugh at OP trying to proclaim Tom Hopper a DL favorite.

by Anonymousreply 301March 17, 2019 12:44 AM

R300 I think he’s the character (in my eyes) with the most potential to improve. I thought his scene with Klaus at the Veterans of Foreign Wars bar was a really good one. He needs more stuff like that. He certainly is not as a dull as Vanya, Luther and Allison.

by Anonymousreply 302March 17, 2019 12:47 AM

Third rate, derivative garbage that doesn't even come close to the far superior Marvel shows it is meant to replace.

Klaus is the same, tired, clichéd "flamboyant, sexually ambiguous, drug addicted" wacky character we've seen a million times before. Just because he stands out more for being OTT instead of dull doesn't mean it is good or we'll acted.

Adding that the time travel stuff is a convoluted, nonsensical mess, I won't be back for season 2.

by Anonymousreply 303March 17, 2019 12:54 AM

Yeah, the time travel stuff with that shadowy organization was too convoluted, let's be real.

by Anonymousreply 304March 17, 2019 1:24 AM

It was also extremely derivative... reminded me entirely and exactly of "The Adjustment Bureau" (with DL Favorite Matt Damon).

by Anonymousreply 305March 17, 2019 3:53 AM

Ben is somehow my favorite

by Anonymousreply 306March 18, 2019 12:56 AM

That made me chuckle, r306.

by Anonymousreply 307March 18, 2019 1:03 AM

David (Diego) flirting with the interviewer

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 308March 20, 2019 3:50 AM

Or not

by Anonymousreply 309March 20, 2019 11:23 AM

What r309 said. I wanted my time watching that interview and did not see all this "flirting".

The Castaneda troll is going through the looking glass.

by Anonymousreply 310March 20, 2019 4:59 PM

Wasted*

by Anonymousreply 311March 20, 2019 4:59 PM

I guess The Umbrella Academy is rolling out to the UK because Netflix has recent vids of them in England.

Robert's Irish edition of The Great Debate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 312March 20, 2019 7:48 PM

Robert is so fucking charming.

by Anonymousreply 313March 20, 2019 9:50 PM

You already know that David likes his tit played with when he’s getting his hot cock sucked or his musky taint tongued. Fuck yes.

by Anonymousreply 314March 21, 2019 6:39 AM

You took me there, R314.

by Anonymousreply 315March 21, 2019 9:01 PM

Hell yeah R314. Haha

by Anonymousreply 316March 22, 2019 11:30 AM

I love Ellen Page. Also she always seems to look about 16 yrs old

by Anonymousreply 317March 22, 2019 11:43 AM

Why does this sound so final? Is it already cancelled?

[Quote]Thank you for the role of a lifetime! I will always look back and say wow that was the coolest role I ever played! #Netflix #UCP #darkhorse #gerardway #gabrielba

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 318March 23, 2019 7:48 AM

There will be a 2nd season.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 319March 23, 2019 10:20 AM

...did you actually read his interview? You didn't.

by Anonymousreply 320March 23, 2019 11:15 AM

Renewed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 321March 31, 2019 10:45 PM

I heard a rumor I'll be watching season two.

by Anonymousreply 322March 31, 2019 11:06 PM

r322 I heard a rumor you like thick dongs

by Anonymousreply 323April 1, 2019 2:12 AM

Officially renewed with the core cast set to return.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 324April 2, 2019 4:11 PM

Why isn’t Ellen a DL favorite?

by Anonymousreply 325April 2, 2019 4:13 PM

The guy that plays Ben gets all emotional about being upgraded to a series regular.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 326April 2, 2019 4:17 PM

r326 So... this is peculiar. He posted this photo the other day, which is a recreation of David Castañeda's photo on David's Insta from March, with the caption:

[quote]if you know, you know. bih.

He also calls him Cassie. Same photographer? Because that is some hardcore mirroring going on there otherwise.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 327April 2, 2019 4:32 PM

David's photo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 328April 2, 2019 4:32 PM

As a fusion of Marvel X-Men and Sense8 it is kind of interesting.

I think the saving grace will be some of the other forty-some children not purchased by the freaky Doctor.

by Anonymousreply 329April 2, 2019 4:37 PM

Pleasantly surprised by Tom Hopper and his brawny good looks. Of course I checked...he is happily married with two kids...

by Anonymousreply 330April 2, 2019 5:33 PM

I liked that Hopper did the dance number without the fat suit.

He doesn't HAVE to look like the Hulk to be like the Hulk in this ersatz version of the MU.

by Anonymousreply 331April 2, 2019 6:03 PM

His classy dance number turned me on!

by Anonymousreply 332April 2, 2019 6:43 PM

The Luther/Allison dance scene was choreographed by Ellen Page's wife.

by Anonymousreply 333April 2, 2019 7:05 PM

Ben is my favorite, I hope he stays single, I hate when every character on TV has to be in a relationship nowadays. Although, I did like that the relationships on this show are not the usual, (a kid and an object, young and old, gay) minus the incest, fuck Luther.

by Anonymousreply 334April 3, 2019 1:44 PM

Season 2. Yassss bitch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 335April 4, 2019 1:49 AM

Less Ben, more superhero Ellen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 336April 4, 2019 2:21 AM

Ellen has super powers, she is no superhero.

by Anonymousreply 337April 4, 2019 2:42 AM

Big hairy Luther. Hot diggity dawg!

by Anonymousreply 338April 14, 2019 6:39 PM

Viewership is good

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 339April 16, 2019 8:50 PM

Sure, but we'll never know what those numbers actually mean. Is that how many tuned into the first five minutes of the first episode, or a cumulative number for all episodes watched in the first four weeks?

I can't believe it has more than twice the number Elite got. I recall Elite, You, and Sex Education being all over Twitter when they aired, but I didn't really notice the same with Umbrella Academy.

by Anonymousreply 340April 16, 2019 9:23 PM

Their metric is an account watched at least 70% of one episode.

The most difficult thing is these are worldwide numbers so you can't compare with other platforms that aren't tracked worldwide.

by Anonymousreply 341April 16, 2019 9:29 PM

More people have probably finished Elite than this show. But more people tuned into the first episode of this show than Elite, so who knows what constitutes as success in Netflix's view.

by Anonymousreply 342April 16, 2019 9:35 PM

Viewing 70% of ONE episode is a damn vague metric by which to claim 45 million viewers for the series.

I watched Umbrella Academy all the way through and mostly enjoyed it, but there have been other Netlfix shows I tried to give a fair shot and just couldn't make myself open the second episode. It's not reasonable to equate the two.

by Anonymousreply 343April 16, 2019 9:48 PM

The Affleck movie got 52 million views from unique accounts. Bird box is still their biggest success with 80 million unique views.

by Anonymousreply 344April 16, 2019 10:00 PM

I'll never forget Bullock's team freaking out that her first Netflix movie might flop and then flooding the web with memes, thereby forcing everyone to watch the movie because people were afraid of missing out on this huge cultural moment. That's exactly how you save your client from a sure flop. I doubt it'll work the second time around, though.

Anyway, a bit of a tangent while we wait for the second season of this show.

by Anonymousreply 345April 16, 2019 10:27 PM

I see Netflix has their stars doing reaction videos now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 346April 17, 2019 12:36 PM

I watched porn not long ago, but I remember that one of the pornstars look like Diego from this show. Now I can't remember who it was, I think he was pretty popular.

by Anonymousreply 347April 18, 2019 10:36 PM

Oh, yeah, BiLatinMen features tons of Mexicans living in L.A. I'm sure I've seen a couple of David's lookalikes there over the years as well.

by Anonymousreply 348April 18, 2019 10:51 PM

UPDATE: It's Seth Santoro

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 349April 18, 2019 10:54 PM

r349 Ha! Yes, I can see that.

by Anonymousreply 350April 18, 2019 10:55 PM

I see Davids all over LA. It’s usually the guy selling the tacos at the Taco truck.

by Anonymousreply 351April 18, 2019 10:55 PM

I mean, I've jerked off to a (young) Beto double just today, so this phenomenon isn't constrained to any one ethnicity.

by Anonymousreply 352April 18, 2019 11:05 PM

To those asking why anyone would say Tom Hopper was a DL fav, there was a poll and it was decided Tom Hopper was a DL fav 59% to 41%.

I also counted over 9 threads dedicated to Tom Hopper and Tom has been featured in the Black Sails threads, the Bradley James threads and the Merlin threads.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 353April 19, 2019 12:57 AM

What the fuck is "Elite"... I've never even HEARD of that show.

by Anonymousreply 354April 19, 2019 12:59 AM

You might be too old.

by Anonymousreply 355April 19, 2019 1:00 AM

So what is it?

by Anonymousreply 356April 19, 2019 1:16 AM

r354 One of the best shows that Netflix did last year

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 357April 19, 2019 1:45 AM

I love Tom, but the characters he play are always insufferable

by Anonymousreply 358April 19, 2019 1:46 AM

[bold]Netflix has signed a first-look deal with comic book publisher Dark Horse Entertainment.[/bold]

[quote]The two companies worked together on the streamer's recent series The Umbrella Academy, which was renewed for a second season, and the Mads Mikkelsen-starrer Polar.

[quote]According to Netflix's most recent quarterly earnings report, The Umbrella Academy racked up a huge global audience in its first month; the series has been viewed by more than 45 million member households.

One hit (in terms of ratings, not necessarily critical reception) and one outright turd. Hmm.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 359May 9, 2019 9:33 PM

Season 2 coming in July

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 360May 18, 2020 2:10 PM

Anyone watch season 2 yet?

by Anonymousreply 361August 1, 2020 2:31 AM

So they made Ellen Page's character bisexual and Klaus didn't get any gay sex.

by Anonymousreply 362August 1, 2020 11:50 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!