Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Has anyone else been diagnosed as bipolar?

Interested in your experience and what meds you've been on. I'm having a hard time finding right combination of pills.

by Anonymousreply 46December 13, 2018 7:00 AM

No one ever had. No one at all. Chronic Fatigue Syndrome has many more people suffering from it.

by Anonymousreply 1December 5, 2018 2:44 AM

I'm curious, as well, especially about whether anyone has switched from Lamictal to lithium. I hope that people will share as much as they're comfortable with.

by Anonymousreply 2December 5, 2018 2:49 AM

Check out bipolarreddit

by Anonymousreply 3December 5, 2018 2:49 AM

R2, that's what my doc wants me to do but Lithium scares me, I've heard a lot of bad things.

by Anonymousreply 4December 5, 2018 3:06 AM

R4, you’ve heard bad things for a reason; lithium is a last-resort type of drug. Have you tried Abilify?

by Anonymousreply 5December 5, 2018 3:30 AM

I’m bipolar. Diagnosed 14 years ago. Before getting help, it was awful. Horrible suicidal feelings and unbearable highs. It took 2 years to get it under control. I take 550 mg of Lamictal, 10 mg of Zyprexa, and 5 mg of Lexapro. I take the genetic versions though. They’ve worked. If you want to hear my story, google “Eric Millegan bipolar” and read two part article on Huffington Post. This is my speech at the U.N. on the subject.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6December 5, 2018 3:44 AM

generic, not genetic

by Anonymousreply 7December 5, 2018 3:45 AM

Here’s another article.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8December 5, 2018 3:46 AM

Lithium will fuck up your kidneys, OP. It might help get your mania under control, but you won't live past 60. How many 80 year old bipolars do you know?

by Anonymousreply 9December 5, 2018 3:59 AM

I am on Lamictal and I used to be on Depakote.

by Anonymousreply 10December 5, 2018 4:55 AM

I take Latuda. I don't wanna take anything and can't stand that it's labeled for Bi polar

by Anonymousreply 11December 5, 2018 4:55 AM

Thanks everyone for weighing in. Your post certainly caught my attention, R9. I honestly don't know what to do. Thank you, Eric M. I like your meds cocktail, will talk to my doc about it. I have tried Abilify, results not satisfying (according to doc).

by Anonymousreply 12December 5, 2018 11:36 AM

OP, I'm not sure if you're still here, but lithium has long been considered the gold standard for managing mania, in particular. Other posters are correct about the need for careful monitoring of kidney function to prevent damage over the long term, but I think you should keep an open mind. If milder medications can help someone, obviously that is ideal. But if only lithium allows a person to live a peaceful and happy life, then I think it's well worth the risk.

The fact that you are actively working with your doctor to find the right treatment, and seeking advice from others (even in the pit of vipers that is Datalounge!), is a great sign. Good luck with everything.

by Anonymousreply 13December 7, 2018 4:40 PM

Not bi polar but I'm gay grizzly for Boo Boo.

by Anonymousreply 14December 7, 2018 4:43 PM

Thanks for your kind words, R13. I found them very comforting. I meet with my doc next week and we'll see where we go. I really need something to tame the mania. Yesterday I was on a high and charged $700 at Macy's, money which I do not have. Thank god for returns.

by Anonymousreply 15December 7, 2018 10:07 PM

OP above. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 16December 7, 2018 10:08 PM

I'm coming down from a manic phase using pot. It moderates the physical/mental exhaustion and sense of impending doom that usually sends me drinking.

I've never sought treatment treatment during manic phases; it's always been the very low periods. They've diagnosed me as depressed - so they give me anti-depressants that mess with my dick.

by Anonymousreply 17December 7, 2018 10:31 PM

Lithium is the most effective medication for bipolar disorder. Beats out any of the newer atypical antipsychotics.

Lithium can cause hand tremors and brain fogginess.

Serious adverse effects: kidney damage, thyroid damage and birth defect (Epstein's anomaly)

You need regular blood tests every 3 months for the first year then every 6 months thereafter.

Depakote - adverse effects: elevation of liver enzymes that can lead to liver damage; blood dyscrasias, and birth defect (spinal cord defects)

by Anonymousreply 18December 7, 2018 11:11 PM

First of all, how many 80 year olds does one know? And how many of them do you know their mental health status? Furthermore, bipolar disorder can lead to suicide. If you don’t get in control of it, it doesn’t matter what kidney damage you may incur.

by Anonymousreply 19December 10, 2018 3:37 AM

Many psychiatrists focus on treating acute psychiatric symptoms, but aren't necessarily thinking about long term health outcomes. Most of them really don't worry much about whether somebody they treat with 20 mg olanzapine is going to develop diabetes in five years' time. There can be a huge disconnect between those who prescribe psych meds and those who deal with the physical consequences. Maybe lithium is best for OP, but there are plenty of psychiatrists who are too quick to rule out alternatives. Best for any patient to be aware of the issues.

by Anonymousreply 20December 10, 2018 4:02 AM

I’ve had good results on a combination of Latuda, Trileptal (a milder relative of Tegretol), and a small amount of lithium. I have a doctor who likes Abilify a lot, but it gave me headaches. He also likes Vraylar, a newer drug that apparently makes people “cheerful,” and Rexulti. I’m not going to change up a combination that works until absolutely necessary, though.

by Anonymousreply 21December 10, 2018 4:15 AM

[quote]Has anyone else been diagnosed as bipolar?

Gurl, you crazy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22December 10, 2018 4:22 AM

I couldn't tolerate lithium at all. I take lamictal, quetiapine and escitalopram. I've been well for 10 years on that combo so it works for me. Lithium gave me tremors and made me feel like a robot. Also my dosage was so high that I was a sweaty gym workout away from toxicity.

by Anonymousreply 23December 10, 2018 4:38 AM

I should add that I mostly suffered from manic episodes so Lamictal and quetiapine combo was great for that.

by Anonymousreply 24December 10, 2018 4:39 AM

I'm not bipolar but I was diagnosed with severe Dysthymic depression as a teenager.

by Anonymousreply 25December 10, 2018 4:44 AM

I have Bipolar 2, some say it's milder and yes, the mania is more acute and restrained and you don't have the well-known grandiose highs of traditional Bipolar I, nor do you ever become psychotic but 2 is more chronic than 1, as in you are never without symptoms of depression or hyper mania, or a combination of both, (mixed state). Hyper mania for me is excitability and a feeling of being slightly out of control, like the feeling you get when your stomach drops on a roller coaster, excitability and dread at the same time, it's awful, I call it feeing unhinged. Another symptom is the hypersexuality. Please excuse my frankness but when I'm hypermanic and therefore hypersexual my butt is so horny and I am inhibited with the insatiable need to be penetrated, deep and hard, it is thrilling, erotic and scary all at the same time, it is also very annoying and, as is the nature of hypersexuality, the urge can never be fulfilled no matter how many times your orgasm. My butt behaves like a vagina, it spasms and expands and excites itself into accommodating a foreign body. I know this sounds bizarre but it is unfortunately true. When medicated my butt behaves like a normal tight rectum and I have no desire to enter it. Lithium has always worked for me and I have never had a problem with it, I'm a bit dubious when it comes to some of the purported horrific side effects of lithium some people report, I've been on it for 12 years and never had a problem but everyone is different. Most people with Bipolar 2 experience chronic severe depression and I'm no different. I have never been without depression since I was 15 years old (I am currently 32) despite trying every antidepressant known to man. The hyper mania is in check when I take my lithium, the depression I have come to accept will never dwindle but I still see a psychiatrist and try new and different medications in the hope that one day something will work. Bipolar is a terrible disease and never really sufficiently controlled, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. No one knows I have bipolar and I conceal it from most people in my life, especially work colleagues. I know that's my choice but we live in a very ignorant and judgmental society, people correlate bipolar with madness and then the stigma sticks. It is very, very hard to conceal the symptoms of bipolar, and I imagine impossible with Bipolar 1 psychosis. I find it ironic that some of the most talented actors have been manic depressives because us bipolar folk become very good actors in the process of concealing and managing our illness.

by Anonymousreply 26December 10, 2018 4:51 AM

[quote]I'm a bit dubious when it comes to some of the purported horrific side effects of lithium some people report, I've been on it for 12 years and never had a problem

Severe side effects don’t usually affect 100 percent of the people who take any given drug.

I gained a shitload of weight very quickly when I had to jump up to a moderate dose of lithium, and my thyroid more or less stopped working. At half that dose, I’m fine, except that I still need Synthroid. I would have loved for that groovy episode to have been psychosomatic or whatever you’d like to suggest it was, if you’re still feeling dubious about it. It was not good.

I’ve been told that lithium side effects can increase drastically with what looks like a relatively small increase, if that increase happens to cross whatever your threshhold is.

Even if you’re feeling fine, be sure to keep up with your regular kidney function tests.

by Anonymousreply 27December 10, 2018 5:14 AM

When you pasted my reply you neglected to include the 'but everyone is different', that I added purposefully, acknowledging that yes, everyone's body is different and reacts differently to different medications. I realise I am very lucky in my tolerance of lithium and that one day that may change. I have once been toxic with lithium because I had become dehydrated and neglected to halt the dose. There have been many drugs I could not tolerate. By dubious I meant people who claim lithium changed their personality, perhaps I should have said that. Now I have.

by Anonymousreply 28December 10, 2018 5:33 AM

Since the 95 everyone has been diagnosed as bipolar. It's usually a false diagnosis. Disease du jour.

by Anonymousreply 29December 10, 2018 7:01 AM

I assure you bipolar is a very real illness for those of us legitimately diagnosed as such, if you don't believe me come visit me when I've been off my meds for a week and I've turned into a nasty, spiteful, cursing, maniac, you'll believe in it then!

by Anonymousreply 30December 10, 2018 7:05 AM

Ty R30. I believe you.

by Anonymousreply 31December 10, 2018 7:11 AM

Bipolar disorder is over-diagnosed, but for those of us who really have it, it's a nightmare.

by Anonymousreply 32December 10, 2018 7:15 AM

[quote]if you don't believe me come visit me when I've been off my meds for a week

Why don’t you take your meds as prescribed??

Is it really too much to ask that you attempt to be a safe and productive member society, by treating your mental illness that poses a legitimate threat to everyone else??

by Anonymousreply 33December 10, 2018 7:26 AM

my daughter takes trileptal. She tried all the other ones. Latuda made her gain 60 lbs. it worked but she gained too much weight. good luck

by Anonymousreply 34December 10, 2018 7:29 AM

'Why don’t you take your meds as prescribed?? Is it really too much to ask that you attempt to be a safe and productive member society, by treating your mental illness that poses a legitimate threat to everyone else??'

You do realise it was a joke? Or are you autistic and have trouble understanding irony and take everything literally?

by Anonymousreply 35December 10, 2018 8:54 AM

don't pick a fight with a bipolar

by Anonymousreply 36December 10, 2018 3:59 PM

"for those of us who really have it, it's a nightmare."

Yeah, well for those who have to be around you who have it, it's hell on earth.

by Anonymousreply 37December 12, 2018 12:44 PM

can you drink so much that you become bipolar? I know someone who turns into a demon when drunk but acts completely different (nice and normal) when sober.

by Anonymousreply 38December 12, 2018 2:21 PM

Read the Eric Behrman memoir, "ElectroBoy."

by Anonymousreply 39December 12, 2018 4:15 PM

I've been on Lithium (gained LOTS of weight from it and rapidly lost weight when it was discontinued), Lamictal, Neurontin, Risperdal, Zyprexa, Trileptal, Ritalin all at different points in time.

I now only take Trazedone and Quetiapine only, but it's mostly for sleep.

The agency I've been going to since 1999 has a high staff turnover half of the time so I've had 8 psychiatrists or nurse practitioners since then.

by Anonymousreply 40December 12, 2018 4:52 PM

[quote]can you drink so much that you become bipolar? I know someone who turns into a demon when drunk but acts completely different (nice and normal) when sober.

My god, I hope this question is a joke...because NO, alcohol does not turn you into a bipolar. You friend is just a MEAN drunk.

by Anonymousreply 41December 12, 2018 10:33 PM

[quote]Yeah, well for those who have to be around you who have it, it's hell on earth.

Don't be an arsehole. I take my meds and only my family know i have it because I keep it under control. You can take meds for bipolar, but there's no cure for being a judgmental arsehole.

by Anonymousreply 42December 12, 2018 11:49 PM

R42 fuck you. If my comment doesn't apply to you, which I doubt unless hearing it from the people who have to deal with your sorry ass every day, then scroll on by and fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 43December 13, 2018 4:30 AM

Jesus, R43. You're the one who sounds like hell on earth. R42 sounds easy-going and responsible.

I understand that some people go public with their medical conditions in order to reduce stigma, do advocacy work, etc., but I also think that keeping health matters private is a perfectly dignified alternative. No one is entitled to know such personal information about anyone else, and, sadly, some people will abuse that information if they get it.

by Anonymousreply 44December 13, 2018 4:51 AM

Fuck you too r44.

by Anonymousreply 45December 13, 2018 6:51 AM

My mother was, she was both a straight and a lesbian

by Anonymousreply 46December 13, 2018 7:00 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!