Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

2018 has got to be the WORST YEAR in music for the ‘10s decade!

The Top 10 Songs of 2018£

1. “God’s Plan” by Drake

2. “Perfect” by Ed Sheehan

3. “Meant to Be” by Bebe Rexha & Florida Georgia Line

4. “Havana” by Camilla Cabello featuring Young Thug

5. “Rockstar” by Post Malone featuring 21 Savage

6. “Psycho” by Post Malone featuring Ty Dolla $ign

7. “I Like It” by Cards B, Bad Bunny & J Balvin

8. “The Middle” by Zedd, Maren Morris & Grey

9. “In My Feelings” by Drake

10. “Girls Like You” by Maroon 5 featuring Cardi B

Alright, Ed Sheeran, BeBe Rexha, Zedd and Maroon 5 aren’t so bad, but the rest of these artists are just ghetto trash. They all sound illiterate just to hear them rap.

Contrast this with the top 10 songs of 1988:

1. “Faith” by George Michael

2. “Need You Tonight” by INXS

3. “Got My Mind Set On You” by George Harrison

4. “Never Gonna Give You Up” by Rick Astley

5. “Sweet Child O’ Mine” by Guns ‘N’ Roses

6. “So Emotional” by Whitney Houston

7. “Heaven Is a Place on Earth” by Belinda Carlisle

8. “Could’ve Been” by Tiffany

9. “Hands To Heaven” by Breathe

10. “Roll With It” by Steve Winwood

Why is the music industry so intent on turning our country into an inner city black neighborhood? No wonder we are doing so poorly in education compared to other countries.

by Anonymousreply 104December 14, 2018 1:02 AM

For mainstream Pop music? then yea you can say that .

by Anonymousreply 1December 4, 2018 11:06 PM

That list is pretty dire. The only song I like there is The Middle.

by Anonymousreply 2December 4, 2018 11:13 PM

Rick Astley was only number 4? That song started a movement.

by Anonymousreply 3December 4, 2018 11:19 PM

Pop music already died 40 yrs ago when white trailer trash were allowed to murder a genre (disco) that had the temerity to not represent them.

by Anonymousreply 4December 4, 2018 11:22 PM

Where's Ye on this list?

by Anonymousreply 5December 4, 2018 11:23 PM

Music has been dire for at least 10 years now. And I was 23 then. Music absolutely sucks ass. Sucks. It is all disposable, nothing will be a classic years from now. It is shocking how bad things have become.

by Anonymousreply 6December 4, 2018 11:26 PM

Yes, but this is only of interest to the sort of people who don't listen to classical music, if you know what I mean.

by Anonymousreply 7December 4, 2018 11:27 PM

Rap sucks.

by Anonymousreply 8December 4, 2018 11:29 PM

I thought my classmates had made taste in music when I was in middle school with them. Holy fuck these kids now have either the worst taste in music or this is all they have to listen to so they think it's good.

by Anonymousreply 9December 4, 2018 11:39 PM

Take me back to the 80’s

by Anonymousreply 10December 4, 2018 11:44 PM

There's no melodies anymore, no stories in music, there's no buildup, no crescendo. There's not even real singing.

by Anonymousreply 11December 4, 2018 11:46 PM

There is really nothing special or memorable being made today in pop. This list is dreadful.

by Anonymousreply 12December 4, 2018 11:50 PM

7 - Hand on heart; unless you were born at the latest mid 90s, you don't think that Hip Hop, much less the rap part of it is a nonsense now? You can't recognise that most of 'em can't even rap and that is why the "music" that accompanies it is so asinine. None of these fools can rock any type of decent syncopation, hence why they don't try. None of them have rhythm, because the music don't require it. None of them set a scene or are evocative. Us Black people have robbed ourselves of excellence in our own shit. We don't critique anymore, we just exhort. And the stans of all races..mental illness doesn't begin to cover it. Post Malone them would have never got near a mic back in the day. You had to know what you were doing , just like man like MC Serch knew. Not every and anybody was invited to the Jerk Festival/BBQ. Now the black ones in the game aren;t as good as the good white ones were back in the day. Sorry that you have no sense of connoisseurship. This isn't a "white people hate black people" thing. Furthermore, back in the day, most musicians both read books and listened to ALL music in order to finesse their own and not be ignorant. They might not have talked about it, but they did. You best investigate the 20th century - now Family Tree. You will be surprised when you lose your myopia.

Oh , the "Blackest" musicians to ever do it, Peter Tosh, liked him some Tchaikovsky ( sic), even as his bandmates laughed at him. But confident non followers just smile and go through until their detractors follow them.

by Anonymousreply 13December 4, 2018 11:57 PM

I've never heard any of those songs and the only names I recognize are Drake,Ed Sheeran and Cardi B. Is it still "pop" music if only certain demographics know these artists?

by Anonymousreply 14December 5, 2018 12:01 AM

And GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 15December 5, 2018 12:02 AM

Pop or mainstream music went down the shitter big time. Wow. It chased me to rock. R15 age has nothing to do with it. I'm early 30's (check my posting history) and music has fucking sucked for so long esp pop. Look back at the greats in pop from 50's through early 00's. The last 15ish years have been a nightmare that gets worse every year. I agree, this has to be the worst year yet.

by Anonymousreply 16December 5, 2018 12:05 AM

There simply are not enough homosexuals making music anymore.

by Anonymousreply 17December 5, 2018 12:18 AM

You're a bunch of grannies. These beautiful tunes will stand the test of time. In 70 years these will be sing-along songs in retirement homes from coast to coast. All the teen Abcdes and Brysens of today will clapping and swaying in their wheelchairs to these hits.

Havana is the only one on the list I recognize as having heard.

by Anonymousreply 18December 5, 2018 12:19 AM

Frankly, I thought the first half of the ‘10s was a big improvement over most of the ‘00s. In a way, it was very retro ‘80s.

by Anonymousreply 19December 5, 2018 12:23 AM

No OP, you’re just transparently out of touch, dude.

by Anonymousreply 20December 5, 2018 12:23 AM

R13, my point wasn't that rap was good or bad. The point is, that in 1988 or 2018, it is just pop music. It is designed to appeal to kids and young adults, not serious people. It is ephemeral by its very nature. Not that that is inherently bad, just that it hardly matters whether one year's ephemeral music is better than another's. Pop music doesn't have to stand the test of time. Don't you think most people grow out of it in any event?

by Anonymousreply 21December 5, 2018 12:26 AM

AIDS decimated the arts. So many geniuses taken too early only to be replaced with mediocre and downright horrible tripe.

by Anonymousreply 22December 5, 2018 12:28 AM

I'm happy to report I don't know a single song from that list.

by Anonymousreply 23December 5, 2018 12:28 AM

I'm so over these awful folksy remakes of great pop songs.

There's one of How Sweet it is to be loved by you that's being used on TV now, and it's the worst piece of shit you could possibly listen to. Are they intentionally that fucking bad, or is the talent that lacking?

by Anonymousreply 24December 5, 2018 12:34 AM

All this implying about demographics etc. is a bit off.

Middle aged churchy housewives in suburbia know Drake, Post Malone, and Cardi B word for word. Don't ask me why, or why they're so fucking proud of it, but they do and they are.

by Anonymousreply 25December 5, 2018 12:37 AM

I suppose the middle-aged churchy housewives consider it a point of pride to keep up with pop culture. Me, I feel the opposite.

by Anonymousreply 26December 5, 2018 12:39 AM

[quote] In 70 years these will be sing-along songs in retirement homes

In far less than 70 yrs, all retirement homes will be vacant without anyone left to occupy them.

by Anonymousreply 27December 5, 2018 12:46 AM

OP is list so white

by Anonymousreply 28December 5, 2018 12:48 AM

Well then I guess we'll all be singin' God's Plan in Heaven, Gloomy Gus/R27!

by Anonymousreply 29December 5, 2018 12:49 AM

That 80's list makes me want to drown my hair in Aqua Net hairspray

by Anonymousreply 30December 5, 2018 12:49 AM

Correction r29, my name is Reality Gus.

by Anonymousreply 31December 5, 2018 12:50 AM

Wow, I'm officially old. I mostly gravitate toward 80s and 90s. Everything after 2006 is just a blur to me.

by Anonymousreply 32December 5, 2018 1:05 AM

I think the only songs on that list I've heard are 'Havana' and " The Middle" and I think it's probably because they are on commercials or something.

by Anonymousreply 33December 5, 2018 1:10 AM

There was some amazing music released in 2018. You're out of touch with popular music if you don't realize that.

Here's the just-released list of the Top 10 Best Songs of 2018....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34December 5, 2018 1:13 AM

Does no one want to dance anymore? Dance with somebody? Somebody who loves me?

by Anonymousreply 35December 5, 2018 1:15 AM

I love Millennials for being so liberal, but I don't like their music. Maybe even most of them dislike it, but are given no choice. There needs to be a big shakeup in music, a seismic shift as MTV was. MTV brought a British invasion for a few years, only because the Brits were more into music videos and their bands had more of them for MTV to play.

by Anonymousreply 36December 5, 2018 1:21 AM

It's not "inner city blacks" driving the sales. It's apparently what white kids want.

by Anonymousreply 37December 5, 2018 1:26 AM

"Slow Burn" by Kacey Musgraves is the best song of the year.

by Anonymousreply 38December 5, 2018 1:44 AM

Haven't heard any of these. I'm old, but radio is all RW talk, so who hears tunes any more?

by Anonymousreply 39December 5, 2018 1:50 AM

Why, OP?

Because an ignorant populace is an easily manipulated populace.

by Anonymousreply 40December 5, 2018 1:52 AM

R26, they aren’t as snobby and condescending as you

by Anonymousreply 41December 5, 2018 1:58 AM

Agree r13 you had Thug Passion but you also had Keep Ya Head Up — and even Thug Passion had musical formation.

Cardi B is funny as hell and does a great job marketing herself but listening to her is painful. She sounds like she probably can’t read the words she’s saying.

I think killing the songwriting industry has hurt all music. It used to be there were some singer songwriters but there were even more talented writers creating hits for great vocalists. Between stars insisting on getting songwriter credit (for doing nothing) or even worse, thinking they can write when they can’t - the quality isn’t there. The ones who can put out good work are the ones who can write for themselves (Adele, Sheeran, etc.). The rest are stuck with whatever a room of 15 writers (who can’t write and are more likely entourage hanger ons) can string together.

by Anonymousreply 42December 5, 2018 2:06 AM

Where is the homely girl whose songs all sound like Tide jingles, Meghan Trainor? Has her moment passed?

by Anonymousreply 43December 5, 2018 2:08 AM

Ya'll are just fucking old. Drake is the Marvin Gaye of our times, Ariana Grande is our Aretha Franklin, Ed Sheeran is the modern day Lennon and Kanye is Jim Morrison.

by Anonymousreply 44December 5, 2018 2:16 AM

Drake... the Marvin Gaye of our time?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45December 5, 2018 4:36 AM

R44, I’m sorry, but Drake is NOT a singer.

Here is an example of black singers — Usher, R. Kelly, The Weekend, John Legend.

Drake is not in the same league vocally.

Your other comparisons are more appropriate, though.

by Anonymousreply 46December 5, 2018 4:39 AM

R34, I listed the top 10 songs on the Billboard year-end chart.

by Anonymousreply 47December 5, 2018 4:41 AM

Those songs aren't great, but I have found a lot of good songs this year to listen to. There was plenty of terrible music in the 80s as well.

by Anonymousreply 48December 5, 2018 5:05 AM

What were some “terrible” songs of the ‘80s, dear R48? Because as far as I’m concerned, just about every ‘80s song was a precious gem!

by Anonymousreply 49December 5, 2018 5:20 AM

R49 I agree, there was something for everybody. I listen to 1st Wave, 80's on 8, and Hair Nation on Sirius. Lots of variety with even more great stuff if you decide to dig deeper.

by Anonymousreply 50December 5, 2018 6:06 AM

no Meghan Trainor, Katy, or Cyrus child are good things but this list is sand-line inspiring.

by Anonymousreply 51December 5, 2018 6:20 AM

autotuned dribbly shit. Happy to say that I've heard most of those 2018 songs... once.

by Anonymousreply 52December 5, 2018 6:41 AM

Music nowadays is shit, period.

by Anonymousreply 53December 5, 2018 6:44 AM

R49 I personally couldn't stand Wham, Debbie Gibson,New Kids on the block,most hair metal

by Anonymousreply 54December 5, 2018 6:47 AM

r13 let's be real. Many writers/musicians cast a wide musical net for the money--humouring the punters by playing the pop shit of the day, or pilfering jazz/classics for their sounds like hip-hop 'producers'. That goes back to old bluesman like the Johnsons-Lonnie & Robert. There were exceptions, like Skip James, but he was an ethereal one-off.

Tosh was a non-conformist, but it was partially by necessity. He felt, rightly, that he was the better singer and should've been the frontman. He was smart enough to know that the handsome, bi-racial charismatic had that lane covered, so he drifted off the road. He was genuinely one of the "blackest" in the woke sense of that term, but he was bitter until his dying day that Marley became the star. It haunted him- & not in a good way.

As Bunny Wailer said (paraphrased) when you let bad things dwell in your mind, and have the wrong people around you, it won't end well.

by Anonymousreply 55December 5, 2018 7:30 AM

I like in my feelings

by Anonymousreply 56December 5, 2018 8:02 AM

OP is a racist

by Anonymousreply 57December 5, 2018 8:05 AM

I have to agree that the music out right now for the public consumption is most likely the worst it’s ever been . I wouldn’t even call it music . It’s so sad . Hendrix , Lennon , Joplin , Marley ... hell even Biggie Smalls are rolling over in their graves . Perhaps it’s the escalation of rapid technology and instant gratification and social media that is destroying creativity ? There are many talented artists still but they just aren’t getting air time . It’s like people don’t have taste anymore . Maybe it’s the era of Trump and Kardashian. Tasteless trash . I pray for a revolution.

by Anonymousreply 58December 5, 2018 8:34 AM

It's because music is just programmed these days, rather than composed or written. Blame computers, digitisation, streaming and the internet as well as "social media", which relentlessly promotes a handful of "artists" cum celebrities. This is also why they all collaborate with each other too. Yes, good music can still be written and popular in such a context, but there needs to be an effort made for that, instead of the easy route of promoting celebrities.

by Anonymousreply 59December 5, 2018 8:59 AM

But none of those songs is "amazing" r34. If that list is the best of 2018, it only shows just what a shitty year for pop music 2018 was.

by Anonymousreply 60December 5, 2018 9:02 AM

We get the pop stars that we deserve

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61December 5, 2018 9:10 AM

[post redacted because independent.co.uk thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62December 5, 2018 9:12 AM

^^^^i tried to post a picture of Ed Sheehan as an example of another fugly 2018 rock star

by Anonymousreply 63December 5, 2018 9:14 AM

I don't know any of those songs and I don't even recognize the names of those singers. I've blocked out popular music and frankly I don't care.

I'm not embarrassed to say that I listen to the music I grew up with during the 60s and 70s as well as the preceding decades...and classical too. I just don't care about the rest.

by Anonymousreply 64December 5, 2018 12:13 PM

[quote] just ghetto trash.

[quote] Why is the music industry so intent on turning our country into an inner city black neighborhood?

OP sounds no different than a MAGA hat-wearing deplorable on Free Republic. You can hate what is popular on the charts today--which I certainly do--without being a racist and blaming black people for the decline of American civilization.

by Anonymousreply 65December 5, 2018 12:42 PM

For a reminder of how it used to be (and could one day be again) the number #10 song of 1988 in the UK:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66December 5, 2018 12:48 PM

R54 All those bands you mentioned are very underrated. Debbie Gibson's "Foolish Beat" and "Lost in Your Eyes" are terrific ballads, and NKOTB had some awesome songs that recalls classic soul and R&B. Some of their disco-ish stuff hasn't aged as well, but they were both extremely talented. Wham's "Careless Whisper" is arguably one of the greatest songs of all time. See, even the artists who were regularly mocked during the 80s were still producing outstanding music compared to today.

by Anonymousreply 67December 5, 2018 6:13 PM

One of the things I miss most about the 80s are those saxophone solos.

by Anonymousreply 68December 5, 2018 6:15 PM

There were a lot of great 80s songs that were hits including some great bubblegum stuff but Debbie Gibson and New Kids made terrible, terrible music.

Please tell me which New Kids song is considered by anyone with working ears to be “awesome that recalls classic soul and R&B.”

Unless you were being sarcastic.

by Anonymousreply 69December 5, 2018 7:22 PM

R69 Although they are most remembered for The Right Stuff, most of the stuff they released were mid tempo R&B. My favorites were Didn't I Blow Your Mind, Valentine Girl, Let's Try it Again, If You Go Away, and Baby I Believe in You. I do like the Right Stuff also.

by Anonymousreply 70December 5, 2018 7:28 PM

I don't like most of chart music, but - shoot me - I like “Havana” by Camilla Cabello featuring Young Thug.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71December 5, 2018 8:00 PM

Who would've thought Disney Pretty Boy Ross Lynch has some edge when it comes to music?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72December 5, 2018 8:10 PM

This is white suburban kid’s idea of “urban” and “gangsta” music — drake, cardi b and post malone? Yup.

by Anonymousreply 73December 5, 2018 8:42 PM

Just did a search and couldn't find a single music thread about GOOD music DLers share. WTF? I could've sworn they exist but none of them seem to be open (the one, ones, I found were closed and from 2011).

by Anonymousreply 74December 5, 2018 8:44 PM

I like some new music, particularly soul, R&B, and folk-rock groups like Alabama Shakes, The Revivalists and Rainbow Kitten Surprise, whose lead singer is gay, and definitely not typical (a skinny bearded cute cub).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75December 5, 2018 8:48 PM

Mitskis album should have had 3 or 4 top ten hits on it. Did any of them even chart?

by Anonymousreply 76December 5, 2018 10:09 PM

Well, I'm officially old. I only recognize 3 or 4 names and don't know a single song.

by Anonymousreply 77December 5, 2018 10:20 PM

There's no shame in not knowing a single song. On the contrary, what is embarrassing is being "of a certain age" and still trying to keep up with pop music. People mature, and their tastes should as well. After a certain point a gentleman should have more serious tastes.

by Anonymousreply 78December 5, 2018 10:45 PM

Even country music isn't nearly as clever and well-written as it was in the 80s. Today the hit songs are almost all about how hot the girl is in her cut offs sitting on the bench in the pickup truck.

by Anonymousreply 79December 5, 2018 10:53 PM

R79, I'm sure I wouldn't know.

by Anonymousreply 80December 5, 2018 11:08 PM

TBH, the 1988 list isn't that great.

by Anonymousreply 81December 5, 2018 11:19 PM

Yes r79 lots of increase in the “shake it for me” type songs. The genres overall songwriting is still much stronger though, which I think is helped by country music being more forgiving than pop as far as appearance standards for male artists. Country is equally as hard as pop on its female singers - but the men have more permission to not be hot and still have a career. In country you get more male singer-songwriter types who don’t have the look but have the talent.

by Anonymousreply 82December 5, 2018 11:25 PM

Has there ever been a time when old people listened to contemporary pop music?

by Anonymousreply 83December 5, 2018 11:29 PM

What about the song by the big guy with the typical beard ? Kahlad??? In the video he opens the car door for beauoeoman who strips and danced by a skyscraper window. I thought that woman sang a part of the song.

by Anonymousreply 84December 5, 2018 11:37 PM

[quote]beauoeoman

I'm so old and out of touch I don't even know what that is.

by Anonymousreply 85December 5, 2018 11:53 PM

“Beauoeoman” is the new “pan” which was the new “bi.”

by Anonymousreply 86December 6, 2018 12:14 AM

Popular music has been sucking for at least 20 years now. However there is a good deal of very good music being made, it's just rarely reaching the charts.

by Anonymousreply 87December 6, 2018 1:29 AM

It's sad, but Britney Spears was the last full package pop star that the industry has been able to produce. Her talents went away once she messed up her knee on the Onyx Tour. Gaga came close but was never out to be a pop princess. I listened to Ariana Grande's new song and couldn't imagine dancing to it much less understand what she is saying. Can Miss Ross teach that girl how to annunciate?

Now as 1988 shows it's not all about female singers, but I miss watching performers for the clothes, the show, and spectacle. Now all we get is Ed Sheehan in a teeshirt next to a beautiful, yet aging, Beyonce. I need the ladies to come back. Stop ODing (Selena & Demi) put in some real work, then you can go down the path of shaved head Britney.

2018 has been an abysmal year for music.

by Anonymousreply 88December 6, 2018 1:33 AM

R88 I would say Pink was the last one and she's still very good.

by Anonymousreply 89December 6, 2018 1:36 AM

Pink is so manufactured and dull. Zero charisma, crap songs.

Britney had “It” but Pink is just anither ambitious girl

by Anonymousreply 90December 6, 2018 1:49 AM

r73 it's not everyone in that group. I've heard JCole, for example, get a lot of love. He's lyrical and entertaining. He's just not at Drake's cultural level because there's not a lot of social media drama around him.

by Anonymousreply 91December 6, 2018 2:08 AM

I meant beautiful woman. Was in hurry. I meant Khalid and Normani. Love Lies.

by Anonymousreply 92December 6, 2018 2:36 AM

R87 is correct - there's ALWAYS good music being created, the problem is that now you have to seek it out on obscure labels, and who has the time and the energy?

The music industry is responsible for this disgraceful state of affairs. It started in Nashville and branched outward: dumb everything down until it's as bland and generic as possible, then get it on the radio. They're afraid of people with genuine talent unless they can figure out how to monetize it.

by Anonymousreply 93December 6, 2018 2:56 AM

R88, I actually think Gaga was the superior artist to Britney. More successful singles, more creative control, more hands on in the songwriting, better vocals, etc.

by Anonymousreply 94December 6, 2018 6:40 AM

r7, indeed! "Would your record be played in a JUKEBOX?"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95December 6, 2018 6:52 AM

I actually like Havana

by Anonymousreply 96December 6, 2018 6:53 AM

video is good

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97December 6, 2018 7:06 AM

Despite the crappy songs that are on the charts, fans of music can still be introduced to good music being made today by reading articles and reviews in magazines like Mojo, a British magazine, or Paste. The link is to Paste's choice of the best songs from 2018.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98December 6, 2018 10:36 AM

Grammy nominations announced today and it looks just as shitty as the OPs top ten. Why would anyone bother with today's music when you have Spotify or Apple Music? There's only so many hours in the day to scour the web for current nuggets when you have decades of incredible music at your fingertips.

by Anonymousreply 99December 7, 2018 4:11 PM

Don't know one song from the top list and feel very glad about that.

by Anonymousreply 100December 7, 2018 4:13 PM

I hate Drake he's just awful

by Anonymousreply 101December 7, 2018 4:14 PM

More importantly, can Miss Ross teach R88 to spell? It's "enunciate."

by Anonymousreply 102December 13, 2018 9:12 PM

It's been a dumpster fire for some time

by Anonymousreply 103December 13, 2018 9:16 PM

[quote] Can Miss Ross teach that girl how to annunciate?

Oh dear.

by Anonymousreply 104December 14, 2018 1:02 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!