Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I still miss Prince

Nothing to really add here. I still can't watch his videos or hear him sing. It hurts too much. YES, I know, MARY!!. The whole thing feels like a cosmic fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 104December 13, 2019 11:27 PM

Despite the shitty music?

by Anonymousreply 1November 30, 2018 2:48 PM

Grease Fire for r1, coming up!

by Anonymousreply 2November 30, 2018 2:51 PM

here's what makes me sad about prince. i think he went into a pain spiral because of his epic showmanship. watch the behind the scenes super bowl clip on you tube. the tech guys are clearly in awe of him. i feel like we enjoyed prince, and he tumbled into addiction entertaining us.

by Anonymousreply 3November 30, 2018 2:51 PM

OP, you are not alone. I miss him too.

by Anonymousreply 4November 30, 2018 2:53 PM

I miss George Michael more.

by Anonymousreply 5November 30, 2018 2:54 PM

Aw, r5 I miss him too. Lots of room, especially this time of year. x

by Anonymousreply 6November 30, 2018 2:56 PM

I've adored Prince since I was a kid - and was lucky enough to see him perform live many times. I will always miss him, so I totally get what you're saying OP

by Anonymousreply 7November 30, 2018 2:58 PM

Anyone that knows me, knows how much I love Prince. Yes, OP I agree with you about his loss.

Anyone that wants to talk shit about Prince needs to watch him at the Rock and Roll HOF for George Harrison. The looks on everyone's faces says it all.

by Anonymousreply 8November 30, 2018 3:05 PM

Me too OP, ditto for George Michael. Heck, I still miss Freddie. Why can't shitty people die young instead of people like them?

by Anonymousreply 9November 30, 2018 3:12 PM

I can't ]get past that Freddie is gone either. I despise Brian May for "degaying" him in the movie. He was always such a jealous cunt. Sacha Baron Cohen would have been a great Freddie, but Brian wasn't going to have that. Glad SBC said fuck you.

by Anonymousreply 10November 30, 2018 3:15 PM

Me too OP. It’s weird to think of a world without Prince. If you saw him live you know he was a powerhouse, larger than life.

by Anonymousreply 11November 30, 2018 3:19 PM

Just came in here to agree with everyone, 🤗

by Anonymousreply 12November 30, 2018 6:50 PM

He was special. I've been a fan since I discovered him at 14. I'm in my 50's now, so a very long time. Not everyone got where he was coming from, what he was saying and the way he chose to say it, but if you did, you felt understood.

by Anonymousreply 13November 30, 2018 7:35 PM

Prince was shit, you deaf cunts.

by Anonymousreply 14November 30, 2018 7:41 PM

Bowie for me. But let's be honest, all of these guys peaked in the 80s.

Losing Madonna will hurt me more than any of them, actually.

by Anonymousreply 15November 30, 2018 7:44 PM

R8, I watched that.

Prince was the mother fucking Pope. The day he popped out of his momma, was the day a Star was truly born.

by Anonymousreply 16November 30, 2018 8:10 PM

Shadiest queen ever!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17November 30, 2018 8:22 PM

I have loved prince since I was a kid. His passing really got to me too.

by Anonymousreply 18November 30, 2018 8:38 PM

I had a dream last night that Prince was still alive and was set to marry Sheena Easton in a big surprise announcement to the media. Was a good dream.

by Anonymousreply 19November 30, 2018 8:59 PM

[quote] His passing really got to me too.

What do you mean? Passing gas? Dead? What does that mean?

by Anonymousreply 20November 30, 2018 10:40 PM

"Prince was shit, you deaf cunts."

No, he wasn't. You're the one in need of a hearing aid, you wretched cunt.

by Anonymousreply 21November 30, 2018 10:53 PM

I loved Prince, even though he wAS kind of an asshole. He was a music genius.

by Anonymousreply 22November 30, 2018 10:58 PM

R22 he wasn’t an asshole

by Anonymousreply 23December 1, 2018 5:15 PM

OP, I was looking for a parking space a few years ago. When I found a space and pulled in, next to me was a purple car with a HUGE cutout of Prince's head adhered to the back window and underneath, it said I MISS PRINCE. This lovely eye-catcher also had various bumper stickers and other odes to Prince inside and outside of the vehicle. I think the owner of the car was an employee of the store because I saw the car parked in the same parking lot more than once. How could I miss it?!

by Anonymousreply 24December 1, 2018 10:03 PM

And I bet he is rolling over in his grave every time that credit card commercial uses his song “Let’s Go Crazy”.

by Anonymousreply 25December 2, 2018 3:18 AM

R8, it was Prince himself getting inducted to the RRHOF. He chose to perform While My Guitar Gently Weeps, among his peers including Paul and Tom Petty and others.

by Anonymousreply 26December 2, 2018 3:39 AM

There should NEVER be any pity for drug users. They deserve what they get. Like Miss George Michael or Carrie Fisher.

by Anonymousreply 27December 2, 2018 3:45 AM

[quote]i think he went into a pain spiral because of his epic showmanship.

Agreed. I feel so bad now watching him dance and drop down into a split, knowing he was fucking up his hips and what it would lead to.

by Anonymousreply 28December 2, 2018 3:45 AM

R27, people can easily become dependent on opiates, regardless of if they were bought of the street or prescribed by a doctor. It's not an attitude/emotional/personal responsibility thing - any responsible medical professional will tell you that you don't just simply stop doing opiates (or alcohol for that matter). That in an of itself can literally be deadly. It's really frustrating to hear some people dismiss drug addiction as some selfish "lifestyle choice". Perhaps you should start popping some opiates yourself and get back to us on your thoughts.

by Anonymousreply 29December 2, 2018 4:57 AM

[quote] it was Prince himself getting inducted to the RRHOF. He chose to perform While My Guitar Gently Weeps, among his peers including Paul and Tom Petty and others.

Prince was inducted too, but that was a tribute to George. The producer asked Prince if he would be willing to play a guitar solo and he agreed.

by Anonymousreply 30December 2, 2018 5:14 AM

Hit me hard when he died. I remember I wrote a letter to his ghost that was like seven pages long after weeping into a bottle all night curled up in the corner of my room. I sad-texted all my old College friends and they all either told me to get a grip or just ghosted me thereafter. It broke something in me.

I pretty much go around pretending he’s not even dead these days. It’s easier than dwelling.

by Anonymousreply 31December 3, 2018 10:27 PM

My dear friend is a Prince fan and he can't even get into a conversation about it without crying. He's seen the Revolution like 8 times.

I saw them recently. I was a moderate fan of Prince's and the Revolution (though I fucking L O V E Wendy and Lisa on their own) and I was touched at how many people were so moved.

by Anonymousreply 32December 3, 2018 10:31 PM

R19 posting from 1987.

by Anonymousreply 33December 3, 2018 10:35 PM

I feel that way about Bowie, OP.

by Anonymousreply 34December 3, 2018 10:36 PM

Same re M.J.

by Anonymousreply 35December 3, 2018 10:38 PM

You're not alone OP. I've never missed a famous person the way I miss him. It feels like the world started going straight to hell once he and bowie left. I know, I know..Mary!

by Anonymousreply 36December 3, 2018 10:38 PM

I pretend Prince and Tim Petty are still alive.

My brain still won’t process their deaths.

Art lives forever, etc

by Anonymousreply 37December 3, 2018 10:41 PM

Tom Petty, obviously

by Anonymousreply 38December 3, 2018 10:41 PM

HUGE Prince fan here. I just got back from touring Paisley Park. The experience cannot be described! OP I do hope you visit PP one of these days if you haven't. It is very therapeutic.

by Anonymousreply 39December 3, 2018 10:42 PM

I am still in mourning for Miss Natalie Cole.

by Anonymousreply 40December 3, 2018 10:43 PM

I am still mourning Elvis. And Judy.

by Anonymousreply 41December 3, 2018 10:55 PM

I’m mourning Ken Berry

by Anonymousreply 42December 3, 2018 10:58 PM

R39 So good to hear it did not disappoint! Can't wait to go!

by Anonymousreply 43December 3, 2018 11:25 PM

I loved that little fucker with the body of s 12 year old and the head of an old man.

by Anonymousreply 44December 3, 2018 11:42 PM

I heard he was black

by Anonymousreply 45December 4, 2018 11:02 PM

His alter ego was Camille

by Anonymousreply 46December 4, 2018 11:28 PM

He remained friends with Wendy & Lisa, Chaka Khan , Sheila E. and , Sheena Easton.

by Anonymousreply 47December 4, 2018 11:31 PM

Prince was definitely one of the true superstars of the 80s. He played every instrument on his 1999 album! (I don't know about the rest.) You can't deny talent that audacious. He might not have invented the Minneapolis funk sound, but he was the first to popularize it.

by Anonymousreply 48December 5, 2018 12:24 AM

[quote] He remained friends with Wendy & Lisa

Mmm, that's not quite accurate. They were bandmates and collaborators. W&L loved him but I don't know that they were "friends." Friendly, yes, a certain kind of shared journey connection, but not friends in the same way he and Sheila were. Prince and W/L had long periods of not especially being friendly. W&L never quite got their due for what they contributed to the Revolution.

by Anonymousreply 49December 5, 2018 3:17 AM

Miss Vanity more than Prince - That bitch was beautiful

by Anonymousreply 50December 5, 2018 5:07 AM

The only so-called silver lining of Prince's death is that so many performances, new tracks, videos, etc. are available now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51December 5, 2018 5:15 AM

I'm still mourning zsa zsa.

by Anonymousreply 52December 5, 2018 5:53 AM

Thanks everyone! It really helps to hear I'm not alone in this. R39 glad to hear it is a heartening experience and not a depressing one. Hopefully, someday I'll get out there.

This is one of the many reasons why I love the DL I genuinely feel comforted seeing these replies.

Hang on bitches, I'm already on it...MARY!

by Anonymousreply 53December 5, 2018 6:04 AM

Hey purple fam! I love and miss Prince so much, too - I’m thinking of going to Paisley Park for my birthday this year, so excited!

R32 did you listen to Susannah talking about Prince on Toure’s podcast?so good! I won’t give a spoiler but I cried when she talks about Prince’s relationship with Lisa 😢

by Anonymousreply 54December 5, 2018 4:23 PM

[quote]He played every instrument on his 1999 album!

We used to ponder how you’d define Prince to someone who’d never heard of him, it’s not easy. A singer-songwriter, multi-instrumentalist, dancer, performer, actor; genre being funk, dance, rock, pop. A genius!

by Anonymousreply 55December 9, 2018 12:52 PM

Just checking in with my fellow Prince-missers. I still miss him so fucking much. :(

by Anonymousreply 56December 13, 2018 3:01 PM

I was molested.

by Anonymousreply 57December 13, 2018 3:07 PM

Prince was so shit.

by Anonymousreply 58December 13, 2018 3:12 PM

I want Applolania 6 released on iTunes. and Vanity solo stuff WTF?!

by Anonymousreply 59December 13, 2018 3:25 PM

To the lesbian that was sad texting her friends and they all ghosted her (which, really, WTF?)...that is me, but for George Michael. I cried everyday for 3 months. My instagram turned into a GM fan page (I used to post stuff about him now and then, but it went on blast when he died) and I think peeps started unfollowing me...but who cares. Every once and a while I will hear a song, any song, and the lyrics will make me think of GM and I will start crying again.

These artists were the ones who defined MTV, and MTV defined a certain generation. They sashayed into our livings rooms daily and when you're a kid or a teenager it's hard to understand that you're only dealing with an image. I'm not explaining this very well but hopefully some will get my point.

by Anonymousreply 60December 13, 2018 3:26 PM

I totally get it r60

by Anonymousreply 61December 13, 2018 3:32 PM

Wow, thanks guys for mentioning "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" (induction into Hall of Fame). I enjoyed that. George Harrison's son looks so much like him (George). Prince was ... amazing (can't think of another word).

by Anonymousreply 62December 13, 2018 3:52 PM

Wherever Prince has ascended to, I genuinely hope he can feel how much he is loved and missed. 💜💜

by Anonymousreply 63December 13, 2018 11:40 PM

Me too. The day he died, I was stunned. WTF? What happened? It wasn't until the next day it hit me: no more Prince.

by Anonymousreply 64December 14, 2018 1:45 AM

A day doesn't go by that I don't think of him and not playing his music. I'm the poster that visited PP. This will hurt me until I die.

by Anonymousreply 65December 14, 2018 1:52 AM

I thought I was over it until I read this thread, and the tears came right back. It still cuts deep. I thought for sure we would have him longer than we did. He was my absolute hero since I first heard the Lovesexy album at the age of 12. Anyone who even kind of knew me, knew how I felt about Prince. It was incredibly touching to hear from friends who I hadn't connected with in years, all offering their condolences after he died. We were so lucky to have him.

by Anonymousreply 66December 14, 2018 4:15 AM

Thanks guys for checking in. It helps so much to know I'm not alone. Hugs to all.

by Anonymousreply 67December 14, 2018 11:58 AM

r66 MARY!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 68December 14, 2018 12:10 PM

So on several occasions, and repeatedly he publicly stated how homosexuals are evil and are to be loathed. He used his celebrity to fan the flames of hatred and was responsible for many young people hating themselves. Talent or not, he was despicable. Out with the trash.

by Anonymousreply 69December 14, 2018 12:12 PM

It never fails that when there is a prince thread, someone had to mention this ^^. There are some of us that listened to his music our whole lives but never knew about his supposed views. I can't instantly hate a guy who was such a huge part of my growing up bc of what he said later on in his life. I am the GM Mary! And I heard the story about when Princes publicist left the D& P tour to go do damage control at George's Too Funky video. Prince said, "Why are you leaving me, George Michael ain't shit." Did that off hand comment make me hate Prince? NO. People say despicable things. It's hurtful but it's hard to negate our feelings.

by Anonymousreply 70December 14, 2018 12:25 PM

[quote]So on several occasions, and repeatedly, he publicly stated how homosexuals are evil and are to be loathed

R69 Prince didn't say despicable things about gay people. He had very close friends who were gay, and when he did an abrupt left turn with his life, after losing his infant son, he embraced the Jehovah's Witness faith (who are not pro-gay, like many Christian denominations), and he had moments where he had to reconcile his new beliefs with the current state of the world.

Like when an interviewer asked him about gay marriage, and he started talking about the Bible, and Sodom and Gomorrah. He never said anything deliberately hateful about gays, but as a JW, he had been taught to turn to Scripture for answers, and tried to, sometimes sounding like a buffoon. Many people turn to religion after a traumatic event, and I would never begrudge someone for that.

No, he didn't step up and say "I support gay marriage," in a moment where he could have, but he also didn't say "homosexuals are evil and are to be loathed."

As a young gay man who grew up listening to his music, I would say his message centered around love, and freedom to be who you are, which I always found very inspiring.

by Anonymousreply 71December 14, 2018 1:33 PM

Weird that he hated gays but looked like one? Not a hater, a huge fan actually but was always confused by his appearance and affectation.

by Anonymousreply 72December 14, 2018 1:40 PM

"So on several occasions, and repeatedly, he publicly stated how homosexuals are evil and are to be loathed"

I'd love to see links to these repeated public statements or any evidence that they happened outside of the mind of the twisted weirdo who posted this claim on this thread. Just one link to one time when Prince said that gay people "are to be loathed" will suffice. LOL.

by Anonymousreply 73December 14, 2018 1:50 PM

the link below to 3 interviews and a review article in which the author correctly labels him as a gay bashing homophobe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74December 14, 2018 2:21 PM

I do too. I just drove by Paisley Park the other day and seeing it really made me sad. It's always difficult to lose an amazing talent.

by Anonymousreply 75December 14, 2018 2:28 PM

MARY!

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 76December 14, 2018 2:55 PM

Yeah that interview sounds like he had a problem with hedonism & irresponsibility more just being a gay bashing homophobe.

by Anonymousreply 77December 14, 2018 3:01 PM

Prince was either genderfluid/trans or had a gay side to his sexuality, and he struggled with it his whole life. He had a female alter ego named "Camille."

Saying he was a homophobe oversimplifies it, but he certainly had some negative issues wrapped up in all of that.

by Anonymousreply 78December 14, 2018 3:04 PM

He died of AIDS and covered it up, why would you miss THAT?

by Anonymousreply 79December 14, 2018 3:19 PM

I miss you so much Prince. It still feels unreal.

by Anonymousreply 80March 5, 2019 2:37 AM

Prince was an incredible musician, but as a personality, no, not so much. He seemed boring and as far as musicians go, even more self-centered and arrogant than most.

by Anonymousreply 81March 5, 2019 2:58 AM

I like that he kept his personal life to himself for the most part. He was human. "Heroes" are always going to disappoint in some fashion. His music was magic for me. It was the background for some of my most formative milestones and many, many delicious memories.

by Anonymousreply 82March 5, 2019 3:09 AM

At least he wasn't a pedophile.

by Anonymousreply 83March 5, 2019 12:24 PM

3 years today he has been gone now. I still can't believe it.

by Anonymousreply 84April 21, 2019 10:45 PM

I still miss brunch. God I miss brunch.

by Anonymousreply 85April 21, 2019 11:07 PM

[quote] He had a female alter ego named "Camille."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86April 21, 2019 11:10 PM

I too wish he was with us. His music - he wrote for himself, Morris Day and the Time, Jesse Johnson, and let's not forget the girls. He was a musical prodigy and it's a shame he died so young.

by Anonymousreply 87April 22, 2019 12:46 AM

Has anyone here visited Paisley Park? I've been thinking about going out there one of these days.

by Anonymousreply 88April 22, 2019 1:51 PM

He was very generous to the Minneapolis school system's music program. They lost a friend in him when he died.

by Anonymousreply 89April 22, 2019 3:47 PM

fwiw, Lisa Coleman just dropped a new album today, and it's wonderful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90April 22, 2019 7:08 PM

Interesting preview of Prince: The Last Interview

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91April 23, 2019 2:09 AM

I never liked him. Very overrated.

by Anonymousreply 92April 23, 2019 2:22 AM

[quote] I heard he was black

What made people claim he was something other than black?

by Anonymousreply 93April 23, 2019 5:56 AM

I love Lisa Coleman!

by Anonymousreply 94April 23, 2019 2:52 PM

I used to love Prince. The second he said he was against gay marriage, I never listened to a song again.

He claimed his religion made him against gay marriage but he was happy to use gay imagery to help sell his albums. His religion apparently said it was okay to be junkie.

Fuck that asshole

by Anonymousreply 95April 23, 2019 3:30 PM

R95 do you have a link? As discussed, he never spoke out against gay marriage specifically but if you have evidence that he did, please share. TIA.

by Anonymousreply 96April 23, 2019 5:00 PM

He's really on my mind tonight.

by Anonymousreply 97December 12, 2019 1:48 AM

God, Prince was so overrated. Most of his music was unlistenable.

by Anonymousreply 98December 12, 2019 1:51 AM

Glad to see this up on Spotify, his family has been great in putting out his lesser known stuff.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99December 13, 2019 7:14 PM

R95, there was some chatter back in the day on prince.org that he made some remarks towards Wendy & Lisa regarding their sexual orientation, around the same time he converted over to a jehovah's nd himwitness and got all "religious". Wendy and him seemed to have eventually made amends a few years later, with this performance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100December 13, 2019 7:18 PM

^ witness

by Anonymousreply 101December 13, 2019 7:19 PM

He was cool! And he brought black, white, Hispanic, purple, and green people together. It didn't matter what color you were, you could all love Prince! We're so divided today. Prince brought us together!

by Anonymousreply 102December 13, 2019 7:25 PM

If it makes you feel any better, I met someone who went to high school with Prince and she said he was an arrogant prick back then.

by Anonymousreply 103December 13, 2019 11:22 PM

He was an asshole, homophobic, and probably was a fraud.

by Anonymousreply 104December 13, 2019 11:27 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!