Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Who has been to Peru?

Specifically macchu picchu? My partner has been itching for this trip for awhile and we might finally do it.

What was it like? Recommendations?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 576August 24, 2019 6:04 PM

Is that where this creature lives?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1November 15, 2018 2:39 PM

I went to Peru and Machu Picchu in ‘95. I don’t think MP has changed much since.

I liked The Gold Museum in Lima too.

by Anonymousreply 2November 15, 2018 2:42 PM

Most people just make Macchu Picchu a day or two trip by taking the train out of Cusco to Aquas Calientes, a trippy little town at the base of MP, and then bus it up to the top. If you have the time and inclination, a guided trek can be a great experience. I did an REI trek of the El Salkantay trail, the less crowded, less popular alternative to the Inca trail, and stayed at a series of beautiful, remote guest houses. It was an immersive experience in the vastness and variation of the Peruvian landscape. MP will be crawling with tourists, but it is a must. If you aren't up for trekking and feeling spendy, Peru has luxury train rides, its version of the Orient Express. Check out PeruRail. I took the Cusco to Puno train, had excellent meals and service, and watched the countryside roll by in comfort. I never made it to the jungle, but loved Arequipa, the White City; if you get there, you must check out the Ice Maiden, a mummy of a girl sacrificed at the top of an Andean mountain. Take a tour of the Nazca lines by air. In Lima, there's the Museo Larco with a room for phallic pottery and a lovely cafe. Of course you must try the ceviche and the Pisco. And bring meds for high elevation in case you're one of the poor souls who doesn't acclimate well.

by Anonymousreply 3November 15, 2018 3:18 PM

^^Oh, and Lake Titicaca is another worthwhile stop if you make it out to Puno. At the time I went, Casa Andina, a hotel chain, ran the getaway on Isla Suasi, a small private island out on the lake. We stopped at the floating islands and Taquille, where the men knit and embroider. Both were exceedingly touristy, but staying out on the lake among vicuna and viscasa was a treat.

Be prepared to see cuy (guinea pigs) and lama steak on the menus throughout Peru.

by Anonymousreply 4November 15, 2018 3:26 PM

It's spectacular - if you like that kind of stuff. Best piece of advice - take a few days in Cusco before you trek up to Machu Picchu to acclimate to the altitude, whether you do it as a day trip or the hike. There's a lot to see in the Cusco area.

Also, spend a few days in Lima itself. Food is great and relatively inexpensive for even top rated restaurants.

Definitely worth a trip.

by Anonymousreply 5November 15, 2018 3:28 PM

Machu Picchu is breathtaking. Pictures don't do it justice. It was once of the greatest sights of my life.

I had no interest in going to Peru but my partner really wanted to. It turn out to be one of best trips. It's very tourist friendly with trains and buses plentiful, clean, and running on time. There is such variety in Peru that it's hard what to fit in during a trip. There's Machu Picchu of course, but then there's the Amazon in the north or Lake Titicaca in the south. There are the Nazca Lines and a huge gorge/canyon.

by Anonymousreply 6November 15, 2018 3:44 PM

OP, Peru is fascinating, and a dream if you're into ruins and archaeological sites. R3/R4 has some excellent suggestions. To add a little more, Machu Picchu is overrun with tourists and there is no getting around it. It doesn't matter if you visit day or late afternoon - there will be other tourists and lots of them. Still, it's one of the world's wonders and a marvel of Inca engineering. It's a must. I did not like Aguas Calientes, the Machu Pichu town itself, however. A tourist trap with very little charm.

Do yourself a favor and visit the other Inca archaeological sites in the Sacred Valley! Pisac, Moray, and Sacsayhuaman are all amazing sites that receive only a tiny fraction of the traffic that MP does. If you go during an off day, you'll feel like you're the only person there. To visit these sites, DON'T take any of those cheap tours offered all around Cuzco which offer to take you to 4 or 5 different sites in one day. I made that mistake the first time I visited during college. They cram you into a tour bus with 25 other gringos and shuttle you to each site for about 30 to 45 minutes each - hardly enough time to scratch the surface of any site. You spend more time driving around than getting to know the ruins.

Splurge a little and hire a private guide or driver who can take you to a site via private vehicle. That way you can visit each site at your own pace. The ticket to all non-Machu Picchu archaeology sites is sold as a "boleto turistico" for 130/Soles (about $40).

The best decision I made was staying in a small town called Ollantaytambo. A genuine Inca village with buildings, walls, and irrigation canals dating back over 500+ years old. Lots of local people selling handwoven textiles and goods, some who only speak Quechua. The town is surrounded by mountains which still contain ruins which you can see from your hotel window.

by Anonymousreply 7November 15, 2018 6:38 PM

Like R4, I also visited Taquile Island, one of the islands of Lake Titicaca. I did a homestay with one of the local families (there are only about 5 families who allow tourists to stay) and stayed overnight for 3 nights. Amazing views of the lake, and very interesting to observe an agrarian, communal society still largely untouched by technology of any sort. Electricity is scarce and WiFi is nonexistent. Bring a few books and a headlamp. Makes for excellent stargazing though. It is both very cold and very exposed to the sun in this region of the country, so prepare for layered clothing and sunblock.

Prepare to eat LOTS of potatoes, prepared in various forms, in this part of Peru. I was good on not eating potatoes at all for about three months after traveling there.

by Anonymousreply 8November 15, 2018 6:51 PM

Iquitos is a trip if you want to visit an Amazonian jungle city and the world's largest city accessible only by river or air. Can't get there by land. Only plane or boat.

Trujillo is a mostly bleak city in the arid north of the country. The city itself is unspectacular - lots of cars, noise, and people. What makes it worth going are the amazing pre-Inca ruins outside the city which are still being excavated. The Chan Chan complex, Huaca del Sol, and El Brujo complex all pre-date the Inca and are over 1,500 years old, and in their own right, are as impressive as the Inca ones. Erosion and El Niño has largely eroded many of the features, but there are still temples and friezes you can observe up close. When I went, archaeologists were still digging and taking samples at one of the sites. It felt like the subterranean scene in Fellini's "Roma" where they are still uncovering the 1,000 year old frescoes.

The El Brujo complex, 1 hour outside of Trujillo, has a Moche temple where they unearthed the fully preserved mummy of Peru's only female ruler.. the Lady of Cao. Her tattooed body is on full display at the Cao museum, an amazing museum.

I would say that Peru more than holds its own rather favorably with say, Egypt, if pyramids and mummies are of interest to you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9November 15, 2018 7:32 PM

See White City.

by Anonymousreply 10November 15, 2018 7:38 PM

Don't be a smoker. Or former smoker. Or have asthma. You'll die.

by Anonymousreply 11November 15, 2018 7:44 PM

The altitude is no joke. Some hotels keep oxygen tanks for the purpose of the unacclimated.

by Anonymousreply 12November 15, 2018 7:48 PM

Peru is a place you’ll want to return to again and again.

Great food.

MP is one of those rare places that meet the hype.

by Anonymousreply 13November 15, 2018 7:57 PM

I was there about 15 years ago, loved it, what a gorgeous country! Peruvian food is my favorite food!!

by Anonymousreply 14November 15, 2018 8:08 PM

The ceviche is amazing. I became very fond of Pisco while I was there, a spirit which is difficult to get your hands on in the States. Quality $3-4 pisco sours available all over the country can be a bit addictive!

by Anonymousreply 15November 15, 2018 9:23 PM

Coca tea will be your best friend to deal with the altitude.

by Anonymousreply 16November 15, 2018 9:29 PM

Pisac were the best non-MP ruins, IMO. Have a taxi drive you to the top, then hike your way back downhill through the vast ruins, enjoying the mountain views over the valley, until you make your way back to town.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17November 15, 2018 9:33 PM

How is the cocaine? Easy to buy?

by Anonymousreply 18November 15, 2018 9:36 PM

"The ceviche is amazing."

IT BURNS!!

by Anonymousreply 19November 15, 2018 9:43 PM

The Huaca de Sol near Trujillo. It looks like a big, nondescript mound of dirt and sand until you enter the temple and see the 1,000 + year old friezes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20November 15, 2018 9:52 PM

Handwoven Inca suspension bridge.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21November 15, 2018 10:30 PM

The Ice Maiden mummy that R3 was talking about.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22November 15, 2018 10:42 PM

Will the tea get you high, R16?

by Anonymousreply 23November 15, 2018 10:55 PM

You get a little buzzy, but it's not like doing coke, R23.

by Anonymousreply 24November 15, 2018 10:59 PM

R18, in the three months that I have spent in Peru, I never once got propositioned for it by total strangers on the street the way I was several times, everywhere, in Colombia. So I imagine it is not as plentiful unless you really seek it out, which I would never advise.

by Anonymousreply 25November 15, 2018 11:02 PM

It’s ok. Go to egypt and see the pyramids instead. Or great wall of china

by Anonymousreply 26November 15, 2018 11:06 PM

I would argue that Peru has better food than Egypt, cheaper flights for Americans, and a less homophobic government.

Can't say a thing about the Great Wall - have not ever been there, and it's on my bucket list.

by Anonymousreply 27November 15, 2018 11:13 PM

Macchu Picchu has a very large and active gay community.

by Anonymousreply 28November 16, 2018 12:14 AM

Fabulous cock. World class.

by Anonymousreply 29November 16, 2018 12:20 AM

Puru it is! This thread: SOLD!

by Anonymousreply 30November 16, 2018 1:55 AM

You can always spot a Peruvian native as their noses are adapted to the cold of such heights. Long with small nostrils to heat air before reaching lungs. Must be extra challenging for blacks on these tours.

by Anonymousreply 31November 16, 2018 2:01 AM

^ ????

by Anonymousreply 32November 16, 2018 4:06 AM

In Peru all seems to breathe freedom and peace and to make one forget the world and its sad turmoils.

by Anonymousreply 33November 16, 2018 4:11 AM

No one has been to Peru, OP.

by Anonymousreply 34November 16, 2018 4:19 AM

It's a great place to visit. Machu Picchu is fantastic. You have to go see the salt pools at Moray; it's stunning seeing them harvest salt as they have for thousands of years. The food is fantastic everywhere. The people are super, super nice; probably the nicest of any place I've been. When you go to MP, be sure to take the nice train with the observation windows. We used a tour place out of Florida called Best Peru Tours and it was unbelievably great, personalized, service. We had our own guide for just four of us at multiple sites and personal transportation. We loved everything about it.

by Anonymousreply 35November 16, 2018 4:37 AM

Been there 5 times. I always had a great time. Altitude sickness is no joke though. Some people it doesn’t bother and others are sick the whole time. Take it easy when you first get there.

by Anonymousreply 36November 16, 2018 4:59 AM

R28, Lima has some solid gay clubs, one in particular with a pretty first rate drag show. Legandaris I think it was called, if it's still around. Outside of that, not much public gay life. Of course, Grindr exists everywhere, and it pings off the charts in Cuzco.

by Anonymousreply 37November 16, 2018 1:22 PM

It's always been a dream of mine to visit Machu Picchu.

by Anonymousreply 38November 16, 2018 9:15 PM

R38, go! It's a once in a lifetime place that will enrich your life! You won't regret it.

by Anonymousreply 39November 16, 2018 9:52 PM

I've been twice. Make arrangements to stay overnight at the hotel at Machu Pichu, which will allow you to roam the site at dusk and see the spectacular dawn come up over the mountains. Most of the tourists leave at the end of the day and you feel like you have the site to yourself. Very moving.

by Anonymousreply 40November 16, 2018 10:04 PM

I'm thinking of going the week before Christmas. A little bit last minute as I was waiting for my mother to finalize her holiday schedule. It looks like she'll be heading out of the country to visit family. That means I won't be flying out to CA to see her. That leaves me scrambling to find something to do for Christmas and New Years. I have 8 vacation days and want to make the most of it. No staycation.

Macchu Picchu has always been on the list. My concern is that I may not be in shape to trek up to MP. I don't own a car so walking and a little bit of biking is a way of life for me. But A) I work from home so I can go days without stepping out much and B) otherwise I do not work out/go to the gym. I also know I suffer from altitude sickness. I had problems at Mt Fuji from quite early on the trek and the peak is only at 3770m. One of my symptoms is the runs....damnit.

So basically with only a month to prepare, should I even consider trekking to MP? Or just opt for the train ride. The tour I'm looking at offers both options. For the non-trekkers, they offer day trips to the surrounding areas for the 3 days while other travellers are hiking. Then on the 4th day, everyone meets up at MP.

by Anonymousreply 41November 16, 2018 10:29 PM

R41, with only 8 days there, I would advise to take the train to Aguas Calientes, and then the bus option up to the top. It takes at least three days to acclimate to the altitude. You won't be disappointed by the day trips to the surrounding Sacred Valley ruins and sites. Too many people make it all the way to Peru only to see just MP, but the surrounding Incan ruins + exploring Cuzco = a very satisfying trip. Enjoy your trip!

by Anonymousreply 42November 16, 2018 11:29 PM

R42, thanks for that. I didn't want to regret missing out on the trek for some middling day trips. I think if this was 5 years earlier, I would be adamant about trekking but honestly, I've felt the passage of time in the last 2-3 years. Long walks and biking now leave me sore in places I never once paid any attention.

by Anonymousreply 43November 17, 2018 12:00 AM

The llamas and alpacas look so furry and cute!

by Anonymousreply 44November 17, 2018 1:38 AM

Mummy of paraplegic boy found near Nasca.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45November 17, 2018 2:05 AM

I have not.

by Anonymousreply 46November 17, 2018 2:10 AM

R44, llamas and alpacas are cute, but they can be ornery. If you approach one too close head-on, there is a probability that it may spit at you. Better to admire from a little bit of distance.

I used to have a hard time distinguishing them, but llamas are larger, and alpacas shorter with the fine and expensive wool. Theirs is the luxurious wool sold around the world.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47November 17, 2018 2:32 AM

R41, definitely take the observation train. You'll walk around enough at Machu Picchu. And don't try the extra climb up and down Huayna Picchu. It's a pretty intense walk/hike up the mountain and you get up there just to see Machu Picchu from above. It's absolutely worth visiting though. Loved everything about Peru.

by Anonymousreply 48November 17, 2018 2:53 AM

Unless you're relatively confident you won't have altitude issues, I'd opt for the train. If you feel up to it, there's a climb of the small peak on the site that's strenuous enough to get it out of your system.

by Anonymousreply 49November 17, 2018 3:55 AM

Never heard of the place. And that bothers me.

by Anonymousreply 50November 17, 2018 4:16 AM

Well they certainly dress in lavish, colourful attire.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51November 17, 2018 1:00 PM

Lots of red.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52November 17, 2018 1:01 PM

Macchu Picchu? OP, I thought you meant Peru, Indiana. I have been to Peru, Indiana, and I don't recommend it.

by Anonymousreply 53November 17, 2018 1:03 PM

8 days is plenty. I did Cusco, MP and Lake Titicaca in 9 days. You need 3 days to acclimate to the altitude in the Sacred Valley and during those days you can do Pisac, Moray, etc. Then go to MP. Also, consider taking Diamox for the altitude - I didn't and was ok, but really felt the high altitude. Another person on my trip took it and still got sick. Splurge and take the Hiram Bingham train to MP - you won't regret it.

by Anonymousreply 54November 17, 2018 1:15 PM

If you're traveling via bus from one city in Peru to another, it must be said that Peru has the most comfortable buses I've experienced anywhere else in Latin America. Bus-camas (bus beds) that recline a full 180° to a sleeping position, complete with a pillow and blanket. There are bus attendants, often a young lady or a gay mantendant, who walks around to give you a meal or drink. You have your own screen from which to watch a variety of Hollywood films. You can even borrow headphones.

I was impressed! US buses should be half as comfortable...

by Anonymousreply 55November 17, 2018 5:56 PM

I've been to Peru but I've never been to me.

by Anonymousreply 56November 17, 2018 6:26 PM

The ruins of Choquequirao are amazing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57November 17, 2018 7:07 PM

Best view in Cuzco of the entire city: Limbus Restobar. Food is eh.. ok. Go for the drinks. View is the best, day or night.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58November 17, 2018 7:19 PM

The town of Ollantaytambo was my favorite in the Sacred Valley.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59November 17, 2018 7:27 PM

Go to Maras...incredible.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60November 17, 2018 7:33 PM

Peru inspired these guys to cover this song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61November 17, 2018 7:56 PM

Weren't they recently saying in the news that they might close Machu Picchu down to tourists?

by Anonymousreply 62November 17, 2018 8:28 PM

Greatest site on earth. I spent five days hiking in the Andes to get there. Nothing on earth can touch it.

by Anonymousreply 63November 17, 2018 8:44 PM

R62, I've heard those rumors over the years, but find it doubtful. MP is Peru's most lucrative tourist attraction, and the entire economy of Cuzco and the surrounding cities is based around it to some degree. I think they may impose new limits regarding management and preservation, but doubt they will close the site any time soon at least.

However, if you would like to visit less popular ruins, I would suggest the Kuelap Fortress in the less visited north. Peru has been promoting it as the MP of the north. These are impressive ruins from a civilization older than the Inca, and they are preserved in good condition.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64November 17, 2018 8:53 PM

The cuisine in that region is amazing!

by Anonymousreply 65November 17, 2018 8:58 PM

R65, I like the rocoto relleno, a Peruvian version of a stuffed bell pepper.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66November 17, 2018 9:52 PM

Is there where the women wear the funny little hats?

by Anonymousreply 67November 17, 2018 11:27 PM

R67, if you mean the bowler hats, they're popular with Aymara women in parts of both Peru and Bolivia. The story of how they became popular there is sort of amusing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68November 18, 2018 2:17 AM

Have always wanted to go.

by Anonymousreply 69November 18, 2018 3:54 PM

r18 I was there in 1979 and cocaine was easy to find for me. I was in Cusco and just happened to start talking to a guy in a place called the Abraxas. One thing lead to another and he offered me weed and coke. The coke was amazing, nothing like in the States.

by Anonymousreply 70November 18, 2018 4:11 PM

Cuzco's San Pedro market is worth checking out if you're interested in how locals shop or if you want to buy anything at cheapest price. And by anything, it really almost is a visual overload on what is available there — fruits, juices, food stall vendors, vegetables, meat market, handwoven goods, chocolate, flowers, erotic statues! Name it, you'll find it there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71November 18, 2018 4:22 PM

Another view of the market.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72November 18, 2018 4:24 PM

What is the best time of year to visit?

by Anonymousreply 73November 18, 2018 4:28 PM

R73, their winter of May through September is the dry season, where if you're planning on hiking and being outdoors, you don't have to contend with rain. That time is most popular with tourists.

I've been in October and November, and if you don't mind some rain, there are fewer tourists and it's not bad at all.

December through March is their wet season, so while it may be warmer then, it can be soggy.

by Anonymousreply 74November 18, 2018 4:33 PM

Was there in late June/early July and the weather was perfect.

by Anonymousreply 75November 18, 2018 4:35 PM

Are they always playing this song?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76November 18, 2018 5:01 PM

R76, I believe it is the national song of Peru and a source of pride. It's not uncommon at all for live musicians to play a rendition of it at restaurants or other public places.

by Anonymousreply 77November 18, 2018 5:48 PM

Yes, r76. Good article in the Washington Post travel section today about an alternative to Machu Picchu, among other destinations. I don't have it in front of me, and I don't remember the name. My ex-next door neighbor, quite a traveller, thinks Peru has the best food in the world.

by Anonymousreply 78November 18, 2018 5:55 PM

I've never been to Peru, but I've been to Oklahoma.

by Anonymousreply 79November 18, 2018 7:36 PM

I just booked a ticket and will go for an entire month. I am excited.

by Anonymousreply 80November 19, 2018 3:19 PM

You go Uruguay, and I'll go mine.

by Anonymousreply 81November 19, 2018 3:31 PM

Loved machu pichu and lake titicaca. But be forewarned of altitude sickness. It seems so random who might get it? A totally healthy person is not immune. My travel buddy got it while I was fine. It sucked for him. He didn’t get to fully enjoy the trip. Fortunately he got it after our machu trek.

by Anonymousreply 82November 19, 2018 4:08 PM

Miss Coco needs to do a special, [italic] Miss Coco Peru Goes to Peru! [/italic] Think of the comedic possibilities.

by Anonymousreply 83November 19, 2018 6:29 PM

Will she visit Lake Titicaca?

by Anonymousreply 84November 19, 2018 7:28 PM

R80, how fun! Have a great trip.

by Anonymousreply 85November 19, 2018 8:51 PM

BTW, Peru has some of the best Chinese and Japanese food in South America, owing to large Asian immigrant populations, especially in Lima. But they are all over, should you crave some other variety. Peruvian food is quite delicious though - just don't be surprised to see alpaca on some menus in Cuzco.

by Anonymousreply 86November 19, 2018 9:07 PM

Can anyone explain why someone named Alberto Fujimori, who went to college in Wisconsin, was the President of Peru for 10 years?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87November 19, 2018 9:43 PM

The biggest of crooks.

by Anonymousreply 88November 19, 2018 9:45 PM

R87, Peru has large Chinese-Peruvian and Japanese-Peruvian populations. Possibly the largest populations of Asian descent in all of Latin America. Lima has a Chinatown where you can get legit Chinese food, like real dim sum and not just Panda Express style.

Re: Fujimori, he was born in Peru to Japanese immigrants. It seems that depending on who you ask, Peruvians have mixed opinions about him. His daughter Keiko almost won the presidency a few years back.

by Anonymousreply 89November 19, 2018 9:56 PM

eh just come down to Peru Nebraska instead, we got our own michy puchi down here.

by Anonymousreply 90November 20, 2018 2:30 AM

Don't forget to try different potato dishes, the potato originated there and is still farmed at incredibly high altitudes around Lake Titicaca. They have the most amazing varieties I've ever seen (upwards of 4000 different kinds!).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91November 20, 2018 3:08 AM

These cliffside pods are in Peru. Sleep here if you dare.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92November 20, 2018 4:03 AM

Let me try that again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93November 20, 2018 4:05 AM

Why of course R84.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94November 20, 2018 12:26 PM

I know someone who goes through passports regularly, obsessively visiting new places. He says the two places that didn't underwhelm him after having high expectations beforehand were Machu Picchu and the Taj Mahal.

by Anonymousreply 95November 20, 2018 12:41 PM

If you find yourself in northern Peru, the area around Chachapoyas is beautiful, lush green, and amazing to explore. The Kuelap ruins are destined to be the next big thing and are relatively untouristy and under-explored. You can now take a cable car from the nearest city to reach them vs. the 3 hour trek it used to take.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96November 20, 2018 3:36 PM

The New York Times travel section wrote about the fortress just this year, so it's likely there will start to be an uptick of travelers going there. It's one of their 52 places to go in 2018.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97November 20, 2018 3:40 PM

What exactly is the altitude? Has anyone taken the Belmond luxury train??

by Anonymousreply 98November 20, 2018 3:45 PM

R91 is not kidding. There are varieties of potatoes I didn't even know existed. White potatoes, yellow potatoes, purple potatoes, dehydrated potatoes, everything in between....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99November 20, 2018 3:54 PM

R98, the altitude is no joke. Cuzco is over twice as high as Denver, or over 2 miles (2.1 miles, or 3,400 meters). Lake Titicaca is even higher. I'm an experienced hiker and jogger and I was winded the first few days. Take time to acclimate and drink coca tea.

I have not taken that Belmond luxury train. Looks very nice though!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100November 20, 2018 4:04 PM

I can handle Denver and even Los Alamos at 7K ft. Shit 10K ft?? That is no joke. I once went to a wedding at the top of Vail I got drunk on 3 beers and was hungover within an hour.

by Anonymousreply 101November 20, 2018 7:21 PM

I'm from Denver, and I had issues sleeping at Lake Titicaca, which is at 12k feet. Machu Picchu is only about 8k feet, and never had any issues since it's similar to camping in the Rockies. In fact, I climbed Huyana Picchu with a lot of sweat. I was 50 at the time, though.

by Anonymousreply 102November 20, 2018 10:03 PM

Cuzco is 11,200 feet elevation though so higher than MP. There were four of us and we didn't really have much problem, thankfully. We drank the coca tea and spent a day not doing that much, but we did walk uphill to the town square and you could definitely feel it. After spending several days in the Sacred Valley and then coming back to Cuzco, we were able to do the same walk from the same hotel and it was much easier.

by Anonymousreply 103November 20, 2018 10:52 PM

R41 here, looks like my Peru trip will have to wait a bit as I'm going to spend Xmas with family. On the one hand, it'll mean more time to procrastinate. On the other, I'm looking at next July and that means I can train properly.

Altitude is definitely my biggest fear. I walk a bit so it's not like I'm a complete couch potato. I'm just a total altitude weenie though. I visited Mt Wilson in SoCal last year and it's all of a whopping 5,700 feet. Driving up I could feel the change, but was okay. An hour into the the observatory tour though, I had to cut it short and make my way quickly to the toilet. Eight to eleven thousand feet....I don't want to spend my entire trip on the bog. That, along with the headaches and sinusitis.

by Anonymousreply 104November 20, 2018 11:46 PM

R104, waiting until July will probably work out pretty well for you. It'll be right in the middle of the dry season.

If you time it right, you might be able to catch the Virgen de Carmen festival in Pisac (nearby to Cuzco) in July. Last time I was in Peru, I stayed in Ollantaytambo during their anniversary celebrations, and got to see locals celebrating with traditional dress and dances. It was pretty cool.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105November 21, 2018 12:38 AM

R100, I took the Belmond's Hiram Bingham train last year - worth every penny. You feel like you've gone back in time with all the wood and brass train fixtures and white glove service. You also get great food and unlimited drinks. When you arrive, you get a 3-hour tour of MP with a private guide (they break the train riders into groups of about 10) and then a lame tea-time at the hotel with hundreds of other tourists. I'd recommend you spend another half-day or full-day at MP on your own or with a guide - the Belmond 3-hour tour only gives you the highlights. It is a bit strange though that after a train ride with a heavy 3-course meal and free-flowing booze that you then hike for 3 hours around MP.

by Anonymousreply 106November 21, 2018 1:19 AM

If you get the chance, stay at the Hacienda del Valle which is outside of Urubamba. It's five miles outside of the town so it is tough to get to, and you'll probably never find it on your own, but, if you have a driver, it's worth it. The rooms are spacious, the food at the hotel dining room is really good, and the staff is super nice and hard-working.

by Anonymousreply 107November 21, 2018 2:03 AM

[quote] I think we can easily assume it's the Aunt Pitty Pat one on the left with the over plucked brows.

Actually I think it's the bearded one on the right.

by Anonymousreply 108November 21, 2018 12:06 PM

Sorry wrong thread.

by Anonymousreply 109November 21, 2018 12:07 PM

Thanks R106, how much dinero are we talking?

by Anonymousreply 110November 21, 2018 12:48 PM

I'm going to double-down and recommend staying a few days in Ollantaytambo once more. It's about an hour and a half drive from Cuzco. You can also take the train from Ollantaymbo to Aguas Calientes (MP), as it's a stop from Cuzco along the rail.

Should you find yourself there, there are plenty of things to do in the area. I've stayed at both Ollantaytambo Lodge and Ollantaytampu Hostel and both have rooms and balconies with breathtaking views of the mountains and Inca ruins. The entire town is in a valley surrounded on both sides by Inca ruins. Inkas Tower is a cafe-restaurant that offers panoramic views of both sides.

Things you can do in an around Ollantay:

Visit Huilloc, a real, traditional non-touristy Andean community where you can see locals making some of the country's best weavings and handmade goods. If you're into shopping for handwoven goods, this is the place to do it.

Visit the little-known Inca fortress of Pumamarca. Some of the best views of the Andes mountains and some of my favorite ruins. When I went, there was not a single other soul there, except for a pack of llamas.

Hike up to the Cacchicata Inca quarry from Ollantaytambo. Here you can see where the Incas extracted massive stones from the mountainside, forming and shaping them into blocks and other shapes, before somehow dragging them down the mountain, across the valley, and up another mountain to where the current ruins are. I went with a guide and it is a strenuous hike, but well worth it. I saw a stone sun dial and a cave with mummified remains. The quarry is littered with fine stonework that never made it to the ceremonial site because the Spanish invasion interrupted their process.

by Anonymousreply 111November 21, 2018 7:06 PM

The Pumamarca ruins. You will likely be the only person there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112November 21, 2018 7:10 PM

Carved rocks at the Inca quarry which never made it to the unfinished Ollantaytambo site.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113November 21, 2018 7:17 PM

GREAT THREAD! When I arrived in . Cuzco I started heaving when I got off the plane. They took my blood pressure, which was OK for once, and told me not to drink cocoa tea because it had caffeine but to drink alcohol (beer), which Idid. At that altitude the sight of beer made me drunk. I had trout for dinner , which I liked , but I got sick. I was miserable tat night , and some crazy evangelist was conducted a healing mission next to my hotel on the Plaza de Armas. He kept screaming in English "Are you healed?" And I was suffering in . bed murmuring , "Hell No!" But it was nevertheless a marvelous trip. Nothing beats Machu Picchu.

by Anonymousreply 114November 21, 2018 7:24 PM

Everybody, women AND men, weave in Huilloc and favor traditional red clothing. This is where I saw and shopped for some of the finest handwoven goods in the country.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115November 21, 2018 7:25 PM

By any DL standard, in my late 60's I'd be considered beyond eldergay. Yet, despite my primary care physician's disapproval, I went anyway, though I traveled with a group and my hiking was limited to Machu Picchu itself,. The strange thing about altitude sickness is that in our group it seemed to strike at random, with no regard for age, degree of physical fitness. or gender. I drank the cocoa tea available at all out hotels and brought with me a supply of Diamox, which is used to prevent and reduce the symptoms of altitude sickness. I was fine.

Definitely carve out some time to wander around Cusco, a very cool city. You'll see rainbow flags everywhere and marvel at how gay friendly the place seems to be. If investigate, you'll find that this is the Cusco city flag and it's slightly different from the gay one. Also, sample some cuy (guinea pig). Tastes like chicken, really. So important to the Peruvian people that there's a version of the Last Supper with guinea pig as the main course.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116November 21, 2018 8:13 PM

The cuy version of the Last Supper is in the Cathedral in Cuzco. There's also a very cool museum in Cuzco.

by Anonymousreply 117November 21, 2018 8:30 PM

Is Cusco close enough to the Amazon to consider a trip there?

by Anonymousreply 118November 21, 2018 8:58 PM

A search engine is a program that searches for and identifies items in a database that correspond to keywords or characters specified by the user. I used a search engine called Google and used the words Cusco to Amazon. Many links appeared almost instantly. You should try it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119November 21, 2018 9:09 PM

R118, absolutely doable. The first time I went, we flew into Lima, spent a day there, then flew to Cusco for a week. We then flew back to Lima and took a separate flight to Iquitos and spent a week on a riverboat. Absolutely worth it. Be aware that flight into and out of Cuzco can be delayed by weather rather often, so schedule enough layover to make sure you make your connections.

by Anonymousreply 120November 21, 2018 9:13 PM

Planes can't land in Cuzco after 10:00 AM.

by Anonymousreply 121November 21, 2018 9:15 PM

R118, the jungle is definitely within reach. You could do as R120 says and take a flight out to Iquitos, or alternatively there are tons of tour outfitters in Cuzco who can book you trips (of varying prices and qualities) to nearby Amazon lodges. Below I link to one such random tour operator.

The Amazon is a once in a lifetime place, but the jungle is rough! I was there for two weeks, and after one week, was worn down from the heat, humidity, mosquitoes and unknown critters. I'm more partial to the cloud forest. You get all of the wet, lush greenery and foliage of the jungle without the heat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122November 21, 2018 11:03 PM

The earliest mummies of Peru predate Egyptian mummies by 2,000 years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123November 21, 2018 11:47 PM

Flying over the Nazca lines is amazing.

by Anonymousreply 124November 22, 2018 1:23 AM

Lima airport is where I was stranded for 24 hours when our flight crew went illegal and the airline (I've repressed which one) left us stranded at the gate overnight. There was no food, no blankets even for families with kids, and worse, no communication from anyone. As the sun rose we were bussed to a nice hotel and allowed to nap, shower and eat within a six hour window before being shuttled back to the airport so we could spend three hours getting through security and on to our flight. Peru was wonderful, but the air travel sucked.

by Anonymousreply 125November 22, 2018 2:07 AM

R125, I wonder if that was LatAm?

One thing about Lima that I found surprising was how much the Miraflores district reminded me of LA. The coast looks and feels just like PCH, with the seaside bluffs, along Santa Monica going up to Malibu.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126November 22, 2018 12:34 PM

Whatever you do in Peru -- DO NOT -- drink an Inca Kola.

You will rue the day if you do.

No one warned me and I shudder just thinking about it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127November 22, 2018 12:37 PM

What's wrong with Inca Kola, r127? I think it tastes like cotton candy.

by Anonymousreply 128November 22, 2018 12:48 PM

Bubblegum flavor on steroids! Cloying to the point of nausea.

by Anonymousreply 129November 22, 2018 12:55 PM

R127, I have to agree with you. Not a fan of bubblegum flavored soda, and it is omnipresent all over Peru.

by Anonymousreply 130November 22, 2018 12:57 PM

Read this: "an acquired taste."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131November 22, 2018 12:58 PM

You guys would hate ginger beer. Now that's cloying!

by Anonymousreply 132November 22, 2018 1:01 PM

Gimme a Pisco Sour over Inka Kola any day.

Truly a delicious cocktail, and so cheap, like $3, all over Peru.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133November 22, 2018 1:08 PM

We’re going to spend this Christmas and New Year’s Eve in Peru. Psyched.

by Anonymousreply 134November 22, 2018 1:10 PM

R134, Cuzco?

by Anonymousreply 135November 22, 2018 1:14 PM

A taste for the wild and wonderful world of the Cuzco School of religious art (basically a subspecies of Baroque) is recommended. This is the style with the blunderbuss-wielding archangels, fashioned after both Christian archangels and local deities. Everything in the art is syncretistic that way. It's somehow simultaneously campy, humane, and ravishingly beautiful.

In Cuzco there are lots of examples in various collections but I'd especially recommend Qorikancha (for other reasons, too), the Museo del Arte Religioso, the Museo Del Monastério De Santa Catalina De Siena, and the Casa Garcilaso. In Lima go to the Pedro de Osma museum in Barranco.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136November 22, 2018 1:15 PM

Fuck that religious shit, instead go to The Gold Museum in Lima.

by Anonymousreply 137November 22, 2018 1:23 PM

Christmas and New Year's in Cuzco sounds amazing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138November 22, 2018 1:51 PM

Inca Kola looks like bottled llama piss.

by Anonymousreply 139November 22, 2018 2:11 PM

Rainbow mountain in the sacred valley was pretty awesome.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140November 22, 2018 2:25 PM

They taste about the same R139.

by Anonymousreply 141November 22, 2018 4:35 PM

Agree that the Inca Kola is horrible. Liquid bubblegum. But still worth trying out just for the experience. Pisco sours are really good.

by Anonymousreply 142November 22, 2018 6:16 PM

I drank about one-fourth of a bottle of Inca Kola 23 years and I have never forgotten the horror. The rest I left on the bar. Ugh!

Never again!

by Anonymousreply 143November 22, 2018 7:58 PM

One quarter of a bottle seems about right.

by Anonymousreply 144November 22, 2018 9:06 PM

I like chicha morada - the purple corn drink prepared with fruits and spices, served cold. Very refreshing!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145November 22, 2018 10:26 PM

I had to search awhile to find Pisco in the States after coming back from Peru. As indicated, sours made with it are really very good. The same thing happened with Caipirinas after my first trip to Brazil; I was instantly addicted to them. Be aware that a few Pisco Sours will have you under the table at altitude.

by Anonymousreply 146November 23, 2018 4:33 AM

Pisco sours are delicious and actually rather easy to make on your own. Although like R146 says, it can be difficult to find Pisco in the US.

by Anonymousreply 147November 23, 2018 6:44 AM

Do you need to know Spanish to get around?

by Anonymousreply 148November 23, 2018 3:13 PM

Spanish helps. When you get towards MP, there are many Indians who don't speak Spanish either.

by Anonymousreply 149November 23, 2018 3:17 PM

R148, you can get around speaking English in pretty much all of the tourist-oriented sites of Cuzco and Lima. Outside of that, some Spanish helps, especially in the more off the beaten track destinations.

Like R149 said, in the high Andes communities, it's not unusual to find locals, usually older people, who speak very little Spanish and communicate mostly in Quechua or, further south, in Aymara.

by Anonymousreply 150November 23, 2018 3:27 PM

I did fine without Spanish R148, but I went on mostly tours of Cusco and the sacred valley.

by Anonymousreply 151November 23, 2018 7:01 PM

For those contemplating a trip to Lake Titicaca, here's a tip: don't spend any significant amount of time in Puno (the largest city on the Peruvian side of the lake) if you can help it. It's a gritty and not particularly attractive city, with little of interest to tourists. Use it as a base to explore the other islands. Stay on Taquile island. It's far more beautiful and authentic. Alternatively, Copacabana on the Bolivia side of the lake is also much nicer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152November 23, 2018 7:33 PM

It's impossible to find a bar that serves pisco sours in my city, and when I finally did, it was $15 for one, R133!

by Anonymousreply 153November 24, 2018 1:03 PM

Bevmo supposedly stocks pisco for those searching for it and finding it difficult to locate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154November 24, 2018 1:41 PM

My elderly neighbors just made the trip so it must not be too strenuous.

by Anonymousreply 155November 24, 2018 2:05 PM

Rare aerial footage of MP and other Sacred Valley and amazonian sites in Peru.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156November 25, 2018 1:22 AM

National Geographic footage of what the Salkantay Trek to MP is like.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157November 25, 2018 1:49 AM

Unrelated to the Inca, this 1,600 year old mummy of the Moche culture was the only female leader of Peru and was only recently discovered in 2005.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158November 25, 2018 2:04 AM

I haven't found pisco hard to come by in the US, but maybe I just have good liquor stores near me. Making the pisco sour isn't hard. You put 2 ounces of pisco and one ounce of fresh lime juice in a shaker, add the white of one egg and ice. Shake shake shake. Pour it out into a highball glass and when the foam settles on top shake a few drops of bitters on it. Meal in itself.

by Anonymousreply 159November 25, 2018 2:22 AM

OK, last video to satisfy my nostalgia for Peru. Video about the relatively unknown and un-visited Kuelap fortress of Peru's north. The remains of more than 400 round stone dwellings remain from the Chachapoyas culture, which precedes the Inca. These ruins receive only about 40,000 tourists per year, so they're still rather under the radar.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160November 25, 2018 2:39 AM

A simple how-to for preparing a Pisco Sour.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161November 25, 2018 3:39 AM

The Marriott Cusco looks swank.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162November 25, 2018 11:23 AM

Nazca mummy remains in the open desert.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163November 25, 2018 2:22 PM

The salt mines near Cuzco are a fascinating sight.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164November 25, 2018 3:04 PM

The last handwoven Inca grass bridge. Reconstructed every year in the same spot for centuries.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165November 25, 2018 3:18 PM

Colca Canyon near Arequipa is the best place to witness the rather amazing Andean condor in flight.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166November 25, 2018 8:04 PM

[quote] The people are super, super nice;

Very friendly, laidback people. The only people that some of them don't like is Spaniards, for many reasons, and especially Chileans for whatever reason.

by Anonymousreply 167November 25, 2018 10:31 PM

Peru and Chile fought wars over border territory in the 19th century. Chile won.

by Anonymousreply 168November 25, 2018 10:35 PM

From what I gather, Chile is not too popular with any of her neighbors (Argentina, Bolivia, Peru). I know that Bolivia blames Chile for blocking access to the ocean and keeping them landlocked when Chile has endless miles of coastline. That said, the Chileans I've met have all been very friendly, and the men are handsome and good in bed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169November 25, 2018 10:41 PM

I would agree with your friend, R95. Machu Pichu was one of the places that exceeded my expectations.

by Anonymousreply 170November 26, 2018 12:27 AM

Peruvians resent Chile for trying to pass off pisco and ceviche as their own, when they are both Peruvian inventions, r167.

by Anonymousreply 171November 26, 2018 2:14 PM

The world's 5th highest waterfall (Yumbilla Falls) is in Peru and the hike there is beautiful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172November 26, 2018 10:41 PM

A gay guide to Cuzco.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173November 26, 2018 11:55 PM

R41 here, booked my July 4th trip, $400 non-refundable deposit sent and I chose the trek option. I've got my 7 months to get my ass in gear and learn some basic Spanish. Excited and nervous. If worst comes to worst and I can't handle the altitude when I get to Cusco, I pay a fee to switch to the train option.

Part of the nerves is dealing with my manager. I have 2-3 family trips I want/need to take in 2019 so I'm pretty sure he's not going to be happy about another trip on top of the pile. With the family trips, I usually bring my laptop and work most/nearly of the days anyway. For this one, I'm definitely going to be offline and that's probably going to be the sticking point.

by Anonymousreply 174November 29, 2018 1:52 PM

I will never go to Peru but I want my kid to go.

by Anonymousreply 175November 29, 2018 1:55 PM

r175, Did you mistake this thread for the I Want To Be Underwhelmed thread?

by Anonymousreply 176November 29, 2018 5:55 PM

R174, awesome! You'll have a great time on the Salkantay trail. Everyone who goes to the Sacred Valley loves it.

R175, you should consider going if it's possible.

by Anonymousreply 177November 30, 2018 12:29 AM

R177, I'm booked for the classic Inca Trail. I've read the Salkantay is even harder than the IT.

by Anonymousreply 178November 30, 2018 2:00 PM

R178, I'm jealous! I've been to Peru twice and have not yet done the Inca trail. The first time in 2004, I was a broke college student, and the second time in 2017, timing and scheduling was just off. I did do a lot of hiking at altitude in Peru though - if you have nearby hills or mountain peaks in your area, it wouldn't hurt to do some uphill practice hikes.

by Anonymousreply 179November 30, 2018 10:20 PM

In a completely unrelated part of Peru, there is a small town called Leymebamba that has amazing hikes to unexcavated ruins and has a wonderful museum that houses over 200 mummies which were only discovered in 1997.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180November 30, 2018 10:43 PM

I loved Cusco.

by Anonymousreply 181November 30, 2018 10:49 PM

Abandoned Inca site of Huchuy Qosqo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182November 30, 2018 11:27 PM

I'm a big fan of the Chachapoyas area of northern Peru, which has ruins which have not yet even been scientifically studied by archaeologists. The ruins are covered in years of cloud forest brush. It's as close as you can get to feeling like you're on an Indiana Jones expedition.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183November 30, 2018 11:39 PM

is peru the best country to visit ruins?

by Anonymousreply 184December 1, 2018 12:33 AM

R184, in the Americas, it arguably is, though Mexico and Guatemala are amazing, too. Guatemala has amazing, intact Mayan Ruins. Mexico also has Mayan ruins, in addition to Aztec, Toltec, and Olmec ruins, among others.

Peru is amazing because it has so many pre-Columbian civilizations, of which the Inca are only the most recent and well-known.

by Anonymousreply 185December 1, 2018 1:13 AM

The Chauchilla Cemetery of the Nazca culture.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186December 1, 2018 1:17 AM

This naked chef is from Peru.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187December 1, 2018 2:30 AM

Impressive short video about Peru's sights from National Geographic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188December 1, 2018 1:04 PM

Ha, I took almost exactly the same photo as that video still image in R188.

Agree with everyone above that MP lives up to its hype, even with all the tourists overwhelming it. Also highly recommend spending several days in Cusco, a charming and very friendly city. Lots of great restaurants there too. We hiked the Inca Trail, which was about 75 percent relaxing and 25 percent strenuous. The views and ruins along the trail were almost as good as MP itself.

And I got up close to several llamas and alpacas, and not a single one of them spit at me!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189December 3, 2018 2:02 PM

Peru looks like quite an adventure.

by Anonymousreply 190December 3, 2018 5:23 PM

South America is amazing in its entirety.

by Anonymousreply 191December 3, 2018 7:13 PM

Thanks to all the posters who have been there. My partner and I are thinking of doing a Machu Picchu trip. Is Peru very gay friendly? We'd prefer to book rooms with one double bed or bigger rather than pose as single men. How was it for couples?

by Anonymousreply 192December 3, 2018 9:34 PM

I am reading this book right now -- it is on my list of places I want to see.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193December 3, 2018 10:05 PM

Stinka Kola

by Anonymousreply 194December 3, 2018 10:10 PM

No homophobic attitudes at all at any of the places we stayed in Cusco, Lima or Aguas Calientes (the base town for traveling to MP).

by Anonymousreply 195December 3, 2018 10:16 PM

Unless you are staying at some place adjoining a church, you will be fine , R192.

by Anonymousreply 196December 3, 2018 10:58 PM

The number of archaeological sites in Peru is incredible.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197December 5, 2018 8:34 PM

I wonder why all of the great Pre Columbian sites seem clustered in two main areas of the entire Americas? Peru being one of them.

by Anonymousreply 198December 5, 2018 8:38 PM

Because the Pre-Columbians only had a couple of Starbucks at that time and had no cars so they had to live nearby.

by Anonymousreply 199December 5, 2018 11:01 PM

Could a vegetarian survive there? Considering this trip for next year.

by Anonymousreply 200December 6, 2018 2:15 AM

R200, actually yes. In Lima and Cuzco, there is no shortage of vegetarian/health cafes and restaurants around. Outside of the bigger cities, it might be a bit more difficult but you can get plenty of soups and dishes centered around potatoes and corn. Hope you like potatoes!

by Anonymousreply 201December 6, 2018 11:02 AM

The US dollar is widely used as currency. They like small undamaged bills

by Anonymousreply 202December 6, 2018 11:21 AM

R202 is right about small, undamaged bills. When using the 100 Nuevo Sol dollar bill (their most common large bill), cashiers will often double check that it's legit. They've had some problems with counterfeits there. I never had any issues though.

by Anonymousreply 203December 6, 2018 11:38 AM

Peruvians are some of the quietest people I have ever met in my life. They make the Japanese seem rowdy.

by Anonymousreply 204December 6, 2018 8:48 PM

Maybe that's why Peru has a large Japanese population, R204 and even a former Japanese president.

by Anonymousreply 205December 7, 2018 12:28 AM

Maybe that's why Peru has a large Japanese population, R204 and even a former Japanese president.

by Anonymousreply 206December 7, 2018 12:35 AM

Whoops, weird double post.

by Anonymousreply 207December 7, 2018 12:36 AM

R200, you will likely frequently find giant Peruvian corn (choclo) in a lot of dishes. It's like American corn but way bigger and pale in color.

One thing to avoid is booking a tour that promises to take you to 4, 5 different sites in one day. You will likely spend the majority of your time traveling to each site. Better to thoroughly enjoy one or two sites at most per day, arranging private guide or traveling on your own (this can be done).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 208December 7, 2018 2:12 PM

One Peruvian dish that I think most Americans would like is lomo saltado. Basically, french fries mixed in a beef and vegetable stew, sometimes served with rice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 209December 7, 2018 2:16 PM

And what does DL know about Peruvian cock? Is it delicious too?

by Anonymousreply 210December 7, 2018 3:43 PM

R210, I had lots of fun in Cuzco with the random, hot hotel-guy who checked me in last year. 😆 It was very convenient for fun times. Also had another random hookup in Ollantaytambo with a local. Inca cock was nice.

Lima is your best shot at all things gay-related. Cuzco doesn't have a full-time gay bar, but Grindr is off the charts there.

by Anonymousreply 211December 7, 2018 4:14 PM

They always seem to be discovering freaky things in Peru. Like this three fingered mummy. Sounds like something from the Weekly World News.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212December 7, 2018 8:27 PM

R204, Peruvians in the high Andes tend to be quite shy and stoic, but once they get to know you, are very open and friendly. Bolivians tend to be more quiet.

R212, the alien mummies appear to have had looted body parts. Peru tombs and archaeology sites have had some problems with grave robbers over the years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213December 8, 2018 1:37 AM

R211, I also had some fun with my hotel attendant in Cuzco. Cute, dark haired, eager to please.

by Anonymousreply 214December 8, 2018 1:46 PM

LOL R214, maybe it was the same one. 😀

by Anonymousreply 215December 8, 2018 4:35 PM

You’re all whores

by Anonymousreply 216December 8, 2018 5:34 PM

I liked that Peru was set up well for tourists and tourism. Trains and buses were comfortable and on time. Guides spoke English well. Restaurants and bathrooms were plentiful and clean

by Anonymousreply 217December 8, 2018 5:36 PM

Cusco and Macchu Picchu are high altitude. Get some diamox pills from your doctor to ward off altitude sickness

by Anonymousreply 218December 8, 2018 5:39 PM

R216, LOL. Traveling does tend to bring out my whoreish side, Peru, no exception.

Here are some suggestions for those who might only be seeing Cuzco:

Best cafe: Qura for coffee, desserts, fresh juices and healthy breakfasts.

Favorite restaurant: Pachapapa. I tried cuy (guinea pig) there, which I know sounds weird to Americans, but it tasted just like chicken! 😂 (Peruvians have been eating guinea pigs for thousands of years, before they became popular pets in the US and abroad, so to them, it's not unusual.)

Best photo op: Any of the number of corners where indigenous ladies stand holding a baby llama or alpaca. You can take a photo with them for a small tip, even hold the baby llama. Agree on the price of the tip beforehand. Don't photograph without tipping (that's rude).

Best museum in town: Qorikancha. These are Inca remains whereupon the Spaniards built a monastery on top of it, so it's a fusion of both. The remaining Inca stonework is amongst their finest, having withstood earthquakes and the test of time. Stunning murals of the Inca cosmology. A bit spooky.

Fun if you're into astronomy: The Planetarium. Family-run, they teach you a bit about Incas and the importance of astronomy. They have telescopes set up outside. I went on a clear night and saw Jupiter and Saturn's rings.

Best restaurant owned by a hot guy: The Churro Bar. The churros are excellent. Checking out the Brazilian guy who owns and runs the place is even better.😀

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 219December 9, 2018 12:08 PM

Would have loved to see the original Inca temple there, R219. And yes, their stonework is incredible. Completely uniform. You can't fit a piece of paper into the gaps between the stones. And not just there, but on so many of the streets of the old city.

by Anonymousreply 220December 9, 2018 1:16 PM

R220, the Inca walls of Cuzco are a marvel. Carved stones of different shapes.. I don't get how they put them together so seamlessly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 221December 10, 2018 2:41 AM

The Inca fortress above the city is called by its Quechua name, Sacsaywaman, which the guides disingenuously pronounce "saxay woman." "You have been inside Sacsaywaman?" they'll innocently inquire. It's quite impressive and worth going inside.

by Anonymousreply 222December 10, 2018 2:50 AM

Since this thread is about all of Peru, and MP gets 95% of Peru's tourism attention, I'll suggest one last site as somewhere different to check out if you have time: the Chiclayo area on the north coast.

The city of Chiclayo itself is forgettable, but it's surrounded by the Lambayeque valley which has huge pyramid cities (250 pyramids in total) and has some of the country's best museums.

Túcume is a site that has 26 pyramids, built over 1,000 years ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 223December 10, 2018 3:00 AM

The 1,900 year old tomb of the Lord of Sipan was found near Chiclayo (in Lambayeque) only in 1987 and is sort of considered the Americas' version of King Tut. There's an entire museum dedicated to just this one discovery and it's one of my favorite museums I've ever been to. The Lord of Sipan's skeletal remains (not pictured here) are on display at the museum.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 224December 10, 2018 3:16 AM

I like Peruvian french fries R209. Somehow they're better than everywhere else.

by Anonymousreply 225December 10, 2018 11:55 PM

Also I concur with the opinion that Peruvians are the quietest people of South America who I have encountered. Perhaps Bolivia too but I have never been.

by Anonymousreply 226December 11, 2018 12:09 AM

All these posts later, and nobody's mentioned that Peru is the birthplace of quinoa. Hipsters bow down...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 227December 11, 2018 1:20 PM

The native Peruvian hairless dogs are regal and a bit freaky.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 228December 11, 2018 3:36 PM

One of the most ancient dog breeds in the world.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 229December 11, 2018 3:39 PM

Don't miss the circular Inca terraces of Moray near Cuzco.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 230December 11, 2018 9:43 PM

The Chinchero ruins in the Sacred Valley are worth checking out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 231December 11, 2018 9:45 PM

Every Sunday is the Chinchero market where you can buy artesanal goods and anything else you could possibly want (fruit, live poultry, witchcraft supplies).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 232December 11, 2018 9:49 PM

I am from the darkest Peru!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 233December 11, 2018 9:51 PM

Speaking of witchcraft, in Chiclayo you can visit the Mercado de Brujos for all of your various witchcraft needs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 234December 11, 2018 10:15 PM

I always thought the ancients were kinda retarded with their interlocking stone walls of various shapes.

by Anonymousreply 235December 11, 2018 11:09 PM

R229, the Peruvian Ministry of Tourism provides one of those hairless dogs at each major archaeological site of northern and coastal Peru. The groundsmen and employees care for them, and they're allowed to roam the ruin. They're pretty cool and certainly add to the ambience.

Likewise, I like that llamas and alpacas are allowed to freely graze at the Machu Picchu and other sites.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 236December 12, 2018 12:52 AM

Alpacas taking a breather at MP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 237December 12, 2018 1:03 AM

Peru is Beautiful. You need to factor in time (days) to acclimatize. The way you handle altitude sickness is you have to sleep lower than the highest spot you were at. You have to be aware of all the symtoms and take them very seriously.

Cusco is higher than Lima, so you might get your ass kicked with Altitude sickness. Though, Aqua Calientes, where Machu Pichu is, is lower than Cusco. You will still feel the altitude sickness and not be able to do anything, but you will not die.

If you go higher than Cusco, you need more time.

by Anonymousreply 238December 12, 2018 1:14 AM

For those into trekking, the Huaraz Andes area of Peru has this type of scenery. Glaciers, alpine lakes, and tall, snowy peaks for ice climbing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 239December 12, 2018 1:30 AM

R226, after traveling long distances through other countries in South America, you can come to appreciate Peru's level of quiet, especially on transportation. The other countries are great too, but Peruvians' lack of chattiness makes for nice, introverted time.

by Anonymousreply 240December 12, 2018 1:42 AM

Miss Coco Peru is from there so it must be an OK place.

by Anonymousreply 241December 12, 2018 3:08 AM

R241, Lima, Peru could use her. They need some better drag queens.

by Anonymousreply 242December 12, 2018 4:42 AM

Inka Cola tastes like shit!

by Anonymousreply 243December 12, 2018 1:01 PM

I recommend going to the Museo de Sitio Manuel Chávez Ballón the day before going into Machu Picchu, especially for those who are entering MP without a guide. It fills in a lot of the history about MP, so you get a sense of how and why the site was built. Really great displays on the actual construction of the site and the day to day life of the Incas.

Like many places in Peru though, it has an unfortunate and forgettable name ... they should just rename it the Machu Picchu Museum.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 244December 12, 2018 2:27 PM

If you're in Cuzco, check out the Inca site of Tipon. Gives you a good idea of the Inca's agricultural terracing and water management.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 245December 12, 2018 2:43 PM

Seeing the oxygen tanks in the Cusco hotel room was reassuring but also a little freaky.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 246December 12, 2018 4:26 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 247December 12, 2018 4:34 PM

These guys do gay tours of Peru, including the Inca and Salktantay trails. Have never used them, but sounds interesting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 248December 13, 2018 12:22 AM

If you travel into small, rural towns in the Andean highlands, don't be surprised if there are pockets of Peruvians who don't speak Spanish, let alone any English. 84% of the country speaks Spanish, meaning around 15% either doesn't, or at least not very well. Quechua is the second language of Peru, existing before Spaniards and the Inca.

The Aymara language is common closer to Lake Titicaca, and is widely spoken in Bolivia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 249December 13, 2018 11:32 PM

3 days are recommended in Cuzco for acclimating to the altitude, especially for those planning hikes and trips.

Also, if you're doing a multi-day trek, feel free to tip your porters.. they have a rough job, and they greatly appreciate it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 250December 13, 2018 11:43 PM

BTW, an Irishman made a documentary just last year about the Inca Trail porters. I haven't even heard of it until today, but will check out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 251December 14, 2018 12:28 AM

Why fly all the way to South America when you can just go to Peru, Illinois?

by Anonymousreply 252December 14, 2018 2:35 PM

Those dogs look similar to the Egyptian Sphynx cats, R228. Come to think of it, Peru and Egyptian civilizations seem to share a lot of similarities.

by Anonymousreply 253December 14, 2018 3:36 PM

R241, this is the backstory to how Miss Coco Peru got her name.

[quote] I once met @misscocoperu , over ten years ago when I still lived in NYC, and asked her about her name. She said her first boyfriend was from Peru.

So there you have it!

by Anonymousreply 254December 14, 2018 5:05 PM

The Xoloitzcuintle: The Mexican hairless dog. Same species as the Incan?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 255December 14, 2018 5:57 PM

R255, they look nearly identical. Only difference I can see is the Peruvian dogs have a blond-fur mohawk going on. Otherwise, look quite alike.

by Anonymousreply 256December 14, 2018 7:04 PM

R253, both civilizations built pyramids, practiced mummification, had advanced astronomy and agricultural systems, and erected temples of worship for the sun and the moon.

The Mayan empire also had similarities.

by Anonymousreply 257December 15, 2018 12:15 AM

If you're in Cuzco long enough and get a hankering for Italian food, the restaurant Cicciolina has legit Italian food and probably the best in the entire Andes region.

by Anonymousreply 258December 15, 2018 2:18 PM

Sounds like Peru has come a long way from the Shining Path days. Good for them. I remember when it was considered dangerous to visit the country because of insurgent activities.

by Anonymousreply 259December 15, 2018 8:12 PM

Here is some cool footage of MP from the 1960s. Nothing has changed!

I was looking for present day drone footage of the site, but couldn't find any that didn't include annoying Youtube personalities and distracting music.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 260December 15, 2018 8:50 PM

R259, Lima has an excellent museum dedicated entirely to the victims of the political unrest of the 80s and 90s. It's called "Lugar de Memoria."

When I first visited Peru in 2004, it was still advisable to avoid the Ayacucho area of the highland Andes. These days, most Peruvian kids and young adults have no personal recollection of that era.

by Anonymousreply 261December 15, 2018 8:56 PM

An even earlier video clip of MP from 1960.

Looks like the site saw fewer tourists back then!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 262December 15, 2018 9:00 PM

R262, that's still how it looks after hours (which you get to see if you stay at the on site hotel).

by Anonymousreply 263December 16, 2018 4:42 PM

R263, lucky!

More about the Ancash/Huaraz area of Peru - it's called the Switzerland of Peru, and it deserves its title. You can stay at a breathtaking chalet or mountain lodge for a fraction of what it costs in the Alps.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 264December 16, 2018 4:54 PM

One of the guides who accompanied Hiram Bingham to MP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 265December 16, 2018 9:35 PM

That pic reminds me, for all their mastery of stone craft, the Inca's never discovered the arch or the capstone. All their windows, alcoves and doors are those odd trapezoid shape.

by Anonymousreply 266December 16, 2018 10:00 PM

And don't rent houses for terrorist.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 267December 17, 2018 12:54 AM

Wow, R249. I had no idea that many Peruvians didn't speak Spanish.

by Anonymousreply 268December 17, 2018 2:19 AM

Another interesting fact: There is at least one village in Peru that is almost entirely ethnic Chinese.

by Anonymousreply 269December 17, 2018 2:52 AM

What the hell are the actual symptoms of altitude sickness???

You get puke-y? What? The runs?

by Anonymousreply 270December 17, 2018 4:28 AM

R268, it does seem very high. Peru is one of only three countries in the Americas where the indigenous population represents the majority of citizens, Bolivia and Guatemala being the other two. The majority of Quechua-only speakers are older, rural farmers who live off in the high, remote, mountainous Andean communities which are difficult to reach, cut off from big cities, and mostly ignored. So the incentive for them to learn Spanish was never quite there.

In general, Peru has a weird dichotomy where the country is very proud of its Inca history, yet at the same time, its living, Inca descendants are marginalized. Things are slowly improving, though...

by Anonymousreply 271December 17, 2018 1:01 PM

R270, it may vary for everyone but for me, it's headaches, nausea and diarrhea. I walked up Mt. Fuji and I had to use the squat toilets at every station. IIRC, it was less than an hour of walking between the stations so that tells you the frequency. I'm going to ask my GP for a Diamox prescription. I don't want a repeat of that experience in Cusco and Machu Picchu.

by Anonymousreply 272December 17, 2018 1:08 PM

[quote]What the hell are the actual symptoms of altitude sickness???

Death is on the list.

by Anonymousreply 273December 17, 2018 2:47 PM

Death is a symptom of drinking Inca Cola, R273.

by Anonymousreply 274December 17, 2018 10:05 PM

Death is the outcome of life

by Anonymousreply 275December 19, 2018 5:47 PM

Is Peru where those Chilean Olympians crashed into the Andes and had to resort to cannibalism?

by Anonymousreply 276December 19, 2018 7:39 PM

My bey, (you may know him as Ari Melber) was there just this past week. Had a great time and anxious to visit again.

FYI: I gave him the tongue bath of his life when he got home.

by Anonymousreply 277December 19, 2018 7:46 PM

No, that was Chile, R276.

by Anonymousreply 278December 19, 2018 7:54 PM

Christ, who knew I had this burning desire to visit Peru, buried out of sight & mind all my life?!! Thanks for this thread, all of you. It's why I can't quit you, DL.

by Anonymousreply 279December 19, 2018 8:38 PM

The first time I went to the mountainous region of Peru, I just could not understand what a lot of people were saying. I thought my Spanish comprehension was bad, and then it dawned on me that locals were mixing Quechua sprinkled with Spanish!

by Anonymousreply 280December 19, 2018 9:48 PM

Another tip for Cuzco:

- The streets are very narrow, with sidewalks that are even narrower. Unfortunately, cars are allowed to zoom by on the one-way streets, so quite often you'll have to squeeze by other pedestrians on the cramped sidewalks. (The city really should block off a portion of the streets from cars and make it pedestrian-only). Between this factor and the cobblestone, the city might be challenging/near impossible for the handicapped. There might be tour agencies or hotels who can arrange such accommodations beforehand.

by Anonymousreply 281December 19, 2018 10:21 PM

The alpaca ladies of Cuzco. You'll see these ladies (from the rural farm communities) holding an alpaca in the alleys of Cuzco. You can take a picture with them. Just agree on the price of tip [italic] beforehand.[/italic]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 282December 19, 2018 10:28 PM

R270 I just had a growing headache that knocked me on my back for the rest of the day after I arrived. Slept badly. The next morning I had a couple of tylenol with breakfast and the headache went away, but I basically stayed lying down all day (reading DL on my iPad among other things) because I was so tired—when I moved from bed to desk or bathroom and back it felt better to walk in a semi-crouch. The next day I was okay and could start making the rounds in Cusco, but I was still wobbly and knew better than to try to walk fast.

by Anonymousreply 283December 19, 2018 10:40 PM

That's too bad, R283. Did you try some of the coca tea in the hotel? Remember, as you get accosted by people wanting you to eat in their restaurant, if you want them to leave you alone, just say, "Sorry, I already ate." and they leave you alone right away.

by Anonymousreply 284December 19, 2018 10:44 PM

What Quechua sounds like (there are regional variants).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 285December 19, 2018 10:54 PM

You will also be offered massages by eager ladies every ten feet or so as you walk in central Cusco.

by Anonymousreply 286December 19, 2018 10:55 PM

LOL. What R286 said. As a solo, gringo male tourist, I was a frequent target of massage offers.

by Anonymousreply 287December 19, 2018 11:03 PM

Cuzco in 1950. Quite different!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 288December 19, 2018 11:14 PM

Gay, erotic pre-Inca ceramics at the Larco Museum.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 289December 20, 2018 12:10 PM

My favorite ruins in Peru outside of the sacred valley:

Huantar de Chavin. If you're in the Huaraz area, it's a must. 3,000 years old and you get to explore the labyrinth of tunnels - pretty cool stuff.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 290December 20, 2018 6:21 PM

If you have time in Lima, check out the underground catacombs of the San Francisco monastery. Morbidly fascinating.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 291December 21, 2018 2:13 AM

Lima also has ruins worth checking out. Huaca Pucllana, pre-Inca.

Most tourists don't spend much time in Lima, using it mostly for international flights and spending a day or two at most before proceeding onward to Cuzco. The Miraflores and Barranco districts are the nicest, scenic parts of the city. The rest of Lima is a rather gritty, chaotic, sprawling, and isn't always so pretty. That said, Lima has amazing, world-class restaurants worth checking out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 292December 21, 2018 2:29 AM

The Andes mountains scare the crap outta me ever since watching Alive. They're dark and foreboding.

by Anonymousreply 293December 22, 2018 10:14 PM

One note about Peru:

When asking a local for directions, everything in Peru is 20 minutes away. Usually what that really means, is that it will take at least twice that long to reach your destination. If they say 30 minutes away, then you're really screwed or far! 😂

by Anonymousreply 294December 23, 2018 12:02 AM

[quote]The Andes mountains scare the crap outta me ever since watching Alive.

I thought about that a lot flying in and out of Cuzco, particularly since it was an older plane.

by Anonymousreply 295December 23, 2018 11:37 AM

R293, I get your fear. The Andes are higher and longer than our Rockies, which themselves can be harrowing to fly over in a small plane. Makes it all the more impressive that people still live and farm there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 296December 23, 2018 12:31 PM

Peru makes the best damn french fries, like R225 says. Guess because they have the best potatoes.

by Anonymousreply 297December 26, 2018 6:39 PM

General Peru tip: when shaking hands (with Peruvian men), give a light handshake, not the sturdy American deathgrip.

by Anonymousreply 298December 28, 2018 1:42 AM

I’m in Ollantaytambo right now. Tomorrow we’re headed to MP. Been completely magical. Loved Cusco. May come back to stay for a couple weeks.

by Anonymousreply 299December 28, 2018 2:32 AM

R299, I am jealous! Ollantaytambo is one of my favorite places in all Peru. Check out the Pumamarca ruins if you get a chance. Chuncho is my favorite restaurant there, with good coffee and a nice balcony overlook.

by Anonymousreply 300December 28, 2018 2:35 AM

Go see the salt levees in Maras, R299! You won't regret it.

by Anonymousreply 301December 28, 2018 3:04 AM

A former employee did his Mormon missionary work in Peru and Ecuador, I was dismayed to learn.

by Anonymousreply 302December 28, 2018 3:10 AM

R302, unfortunately your former employee probably did a good job proselytizing. I noticed more Evangelical/Mormon churches in 2017 vs. 2004. That's a trade-down from Catholicism, which IMO, is bad enough.

by Anonymousreply 303December 28, 2018 12:52 PM

R284, I stayed with a family, and the lady of the house left me with a huge thing of hot water and coca tea bags, which I drank all night. I'll never know if did any good for my soroche, because I still had soroche. Apparently the more effective way is to chew on coca leaves (which I did) along with some sort of reagent that releases the coca power (which I didn't do). The most effective way is to take a pill, which I'll get if I go back to Cuzco or the vicinity.

by Anonymousreply 304December 28, 2018 1:09 PM

R299, hope you enjoyed Ollantaytambo!

by Anonymousreply 305December 28, 2018 7:02 PM

Conde Nast agrees with DL that Peru is an amazing place to go!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 306December 29, 2018 12:32 PM

R306, that's a very good list.

For most beautiful though, I would remove any mention of Lima (the historical center looks like every other historical center in a large Latin American city) and the beach town of Huanchaco (it's just OK). Replace them with the towns of La Jalca Grande, Cocachimba, Colcamar, Levanto, the Yumbilla waterfall, and now you're set.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 307December 29, 2018 1:45 PM

La Jalca Grande was my favorite small town in all of Peru. It's cold though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 308December 29, 2018 1:48 PM

Stay in the town of Cuispes for easy access to the Yumbilla and Chinata waterfalls. Five amazing hikes in the area. I did this waterfall rappelling. It was a bit scary but fun.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 309December 29, 2018 1:56 PM

If you're going to visit the Gocta waterfall, don't stay in Chachapoyas (it's a bigger city and not so pretty). Stay in Cocachimba at the Gocta Andes Lodge. You get good food, coffee, a pool, and this view.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 310December 29, 2018 2:00 PM

Uros Island on Lake Titicaca is very touristy. An overnight homestay with a family in Taquile Island is better.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 311December 29, 2018 2:07 PM

Laguna Paron was my favorite lake. You can kayak on it. Just don't fall in.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 312December 29, 2018 2:11 PM

OK, my last suggestion for now. If you were to have 4 weeks to visit Peru, and you wanted to get a good scope of the best of the country, I would break it down like this:

2 weeks: MP/Sacred Valley/Cuzco with a 3 day diversion to Titicaca

1 week in the Chachapoyas region to see the Kuelap ruins, Ollape, waterfalls, etc.

1 week in the Huascaran National Park area for mountain trekking and Alps-level scenery. Don't stay in Huaraz - it's an ugly, hectic city. There are cuter, smaller towns to use as a base.

Alternatively, you could also stay multiple weeks in any of the above areas and still not finish seeing everything there is to see.

by Anonymousreply 313December 29, 2018 3:12 PM

Excited! I'm going to Peru in March!

by Anonymousreply 314January 3, 2019 4:16 PM

Remember that movie "The Last Movie" Dennis Hopper shot in Peru? Syl Miles doesn't share your praise of the country.

by Anonymousreply 315January 3, 2019 4:58 PM

R315, I haven't seen that film, but sounds like a trip. I imagine Peru in 1971 was much more rustic and difficult to get around.

by Anonymousreply 316January 3, 2019 5:14 PM

Now I want to go too!

by Anonymousreply 317January 3, 2019 6:56 PM

I would add Lima to any Peru trip. The upscale oceanside area (drawing a blank on its name—forgive me) is lovely. Great restaurants there too.

by Anonymousreply 318January 3, 2019 8:29 PM

Just came to me: Miraflores.

by Anonymousreply 319January 3, 2019 8:30 PM

R318, Lima is world-class for restaurants, I agree. Great museums and the best nightlife in the country. Personally, I just wouldn't consider it one of the most beautiful places in Peru like the list at R306 does.

by Anonymousreply 320January 3, 2019 8:37 PM

R313, you'll have to tack on another week for the riverboat trip on the Amazon. Did that, it's amazing.

by Anonymousreply 321January 3, 2019 10:13 PM

R321, you're right! I realized I left out the jungle. The Amazon is not to be missed. Which makes Peru all the more amazing.. how many countries can you experience Alps-like scenery and the Amazon rainforest all in one?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 322January 3, 2019 10:59 PM

I like the Inca vs. Spaniard chess sets.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 323January 4, 2019 4:15 PM

The new mayor of Lima is a former footballer who is not bad looking. 😂

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 324January 4, 2019 4:18 PM

Oops, he's the mayor of one of the rougher districts of Lima, La Victoria.^

by Anonymousreply 325January 4, 2019 4:21 PM

I'm listening to and enjoying "Turn Right at Machu Picchu: Rediscovering the Lost City One Step at a Time" by Mark Turner. For a Peru novice, I'm picking up on a lot of basic history and social insights. I'm going to read up on Inca history.

by Anonymousreply 326January 4, 2019 4:21 PM

Lots of bi/married tops in the capitals and large cities of Peru and Ecuador. Lima and Guayaquil especially. Had plenty of dick while I was there. I was pleasantly shocked and very sore by the end. All kinds: mestizo, European, smooth, hairy, etc. Pale white American ass is too much for them to resist, seriously.

by Anonymousreply 327January 4, 2019 5:10 PM

R326, it's fascinating stuff. I was just reading today about the success rate of Inca brain surgery.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 328January 4, 2019 8:20 PM

R327, I had quite a bit of fun in Lima too. 😇

by Anonymousreply 329January 4, 2019 8:22 PM

Random Peru fact: The Paramount Pictures logo is of a mountain in Peru. Mt. Artesaraju.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 330January 5, 2019 5:40 PM

The actual mountain.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 331January 5, 2019 5:42 PM

Peru is apparently a fashion destination for designers and insiders due to alpaca fur.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 332January 5, 2019 6:55 PM

If you go to the Moray ruins (near Cuzco), you can arrange to eat at Mil Centro restaurant run by chef Virgilio Martinez. Probably considered the best chef in Peru, he was featured on Netflix's Chef's Table last season. The meal might cost a pretty penny though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 333January 5, 2019 7:05 PM

His restaurant is right next to the ruins, with a view out to them.^ Personally, I'd rather try Chef Martinez instead of his food. 😂

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 334January 5, 2019 7:11 PM

Make sure you are shown the unique measuring and communication system the Incas worked out using strings with knots tied along the length.

It’s fascinating.

Any other visitors to Peru shown this artifact?

by Anonymousreply 335January 5, 2019 8:00 PM

R335, yes! I couldn't really wrap my head around it, but it was extremely complex and interesting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 336January 5, 2019 8:06 PM

Here, read this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 337January 5, 2019 8:07 PM

R337, thanks. Here is another Inca calculating instrument, the yupana. Used as a sort of abacus.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 338January 6, 2019 1:08 PM

A good time to visit Cuzco might be around June 24, when the city holds the Inti Raymi Festival (Inca Festival of the Sun). They do a very real theatrical recreation of what such a festival was like centuries ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 339January 6, 2019 1:15 PM

This article, at least, recommend Cuzco as a possible retiree destination.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 340January 12, 2019 8:57 PM

Just completed my first preparation hike for July. Ten and half miles, moderate terrain, 4 hours. Unfortunately, my area doesn't have much for mountain peaks. So no high altitude training unless I fly somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 341January 12, 2019 9:06 PM

R341, congrats! 10 miles in 4 hours is impressive! Sounds like you should be fine for the Inca Trail.

by Anonymousreply 342January 12, 2019 9:16 PM

That trail is littered with dead hikers.

by Anonymousreply 343January 12, 2019 9:18 PM

R343, I have never heard that? Seems thousands do it every year without incident.

The snowy Ancash Cordillera Blanca area, however, is more dangerous, with all of the dangers of ice trekking, avalanches, and getting lost in the high, snowy Andes. Proceed only with the most well-regarded, experienced guides and all of the right training.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 344January 12, 2019 9:24 PM

Since I like to promote other, lesser-known parts of Peru that deserve tourist attention, another one of my favorite small Peru towns: Tupe. 4 to 5 hours from Lima. Villagers speak Jaqara, a language of the Wari civilization which proceeds the Inca. There are only around 500 people left who speak the language.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 345January 12, 2019 9:34 PM

PREcedes*^

by Anonymousreply 346January 12, 2019 9:35 PM

R342, I was shocked that I was able to complete it in that time frame. To be honest, if I had it my way, I'd have taken my sweet time. But the hiking group I was with seems to race through hikes. Which I find a bit wasteful. What's the point if you're not going to take the time to stop and look around? In short, I was dead last finishing the hike and everyone else finished the hike around 3-3 1/2 hours. My saving grace is that I completed the 10 miles while a handful of people stopped at 7.5 miles.

by Anonymousreply 347January 12, 2019 9:38 PM

Huancaya, Peru is lovely, with a set of gently cascading pools. Nearby town of Vitis is also idyllic and peaceful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 348January 12, 2019 9:41 PM

R347, I like to take my meandering time on hikes too. I did a few hikes with a gay hiking group whose main objective (besides hooking up) seemed to be competing for who can dash to the peak the quickest. I prefer slow and steady.

by Anonymousreply 349January 12, 2019 9:58 PM

The slow, pretty town of Vitis. Lots of small, Andean villages in Peru look like this. I love the Peruvians' use of adobe, mud-bricks in constructing their homes and other structures. Life seems unchanged from a century ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 350January 12, 2019 11:00 PM

I had no idea that restaurant was so close to Moray, R334. We had a personal tour of Moray and were the only people there and I didn't really notice anything around it. It was still definitely worth visiting.

by Anonymousreply 351January 14, 2019 3:47 AM

R351, glad you enjoyed Moray. It's quite the site.

Chef Martinez has two restaurants, as far as I know. One in Lima and another next to Moray. If I ever go back, I'm eating there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 352January 16, 2019 3:39 PM

Important, new info regarding MP:

[quote] In 2017, the UNESCO World Heritage site introduced time entry to tackle the amount of people visiting each day, but now they have made entry even stricter with hour-specific time slots.

[quote] This means you will need to book a slot between 6am and 3pm and you must arrive within an hour of your entry time or you won’t be allowed to visit. This means if you book the 11am slot, you must arrive before 12pm to be let in. Once in, the four-hour visitation limit still applies, and visitors need to be out by 5:30pm each day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 353January 16, 2019 4:26 PM

In other news, Peru is making it easier to reach the Choquequirao site, which is only 40 miles away from MP. As it currently stands, accessing these Inca ruins was only possible via a strenuous, 5-day hiking trek. Now they are putting in a new road and a cable car.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 354January 16, 2019 4:33 PM

I love photographer Mario Testino's work on indigenous Peruvian fashion. (He took the last photographs of Princess Di before she passed).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 355January 17, 2019 3:13 PM

He calls the series Alta Moda (High Fashion), also a reference to the fashion of the High Andes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 356January 17, 2019 3:15 PM

Last one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 357January 17, 2019 3:17 PM

Thanks so much R355. I've been wondering how I can repurpose my old TV trays.

by Anonymousreply 358January 17, 2019 3:22 PM

R358, lol!

by Anonymousreply 359January 17, 2019 3:25 PM

OK, a few more, why not.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 360January 17, 2019 3:31 PM

I like the hat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 361January 17, 2019 3:33 PM

Testino had a few exhibits based on Peruvian fashion. As did John Galliano.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 362January 17, 2019 3:53 PM

There's a wild Andean Mountain Cat native to Peru and parts of Chile, Bolivia, and Argentina. Nearly impossible to spot, however!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 363January 17, 2019 5:34 PM

That cat is adorable, R363.

by Anonymousreply 364January 17, 2019 6:39 PM

R364, here is the Andean Cat in motion if you want to see how it moves.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 365January 18, 2019 1:59 AM

For those looking for a less popular, more challenging trek to MP, there is the Ausangate trek. I think you would have to be very acclimated to the altitude for this haul, though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 366January 18, 2019 3:26 AM

I've been to Nice, and the isle of Greece.

Is that helpful?

by Anonymousreply 367January 18, 2019 3:31 AM

For those wanting to do the Ausangate trek, there is a 5 to 7 day lodge-to-lodge trek, where instead of roughing it in a tent, you end up spending each night at a different lodge. Strenuous hike, but you end up spending each night in luxury with hot showers and such.

by Anonymousreply 368January 18, 2019 3:42 AM

I'm going to Peru in March, bitches!!

by Anonymousreply 369January 18, 2019 5:49 PM

R369, lucky! If you're spending any significant amount of time in Lima, try to nab a reservation at Central restaurant. It's ranked one of the top 10 in the world.

by Anonymousreply 370January 20, 2019 2:43 AM

Other good Lima restaurants:

Pan de Chola (for baked good and sandwiches), Maido, Anticuchos Grimanesa.

ValeTodo is fun for a gay romp.

Lima is your one chance in Peru to have good international food of all stripes.

by Anonymousreply 371January 20, 2019 2:50 AM

There is a famous Peruvian buffet (I know, buffets are usually awful) in Miraflores. Get a reservation and go. It’s amazing. You get one free Pisco Sour. Best buffet ever. I can’t remember the name of the place, but you should be able to find it online.

by Anonymousreply 372January 20, 2019 11:17 AM

This thread has me seriously considering Peru for my next trip. I still have questions though... -Is Airbnb recommended here? -What would be the ideal length of the trip? -How is the flight down there? I’ve heard flying in South America can be very turbulent. I fly a lot, but lose my shit with intense turbulence.

by Anonymousreply 373January 20, 2019 2:48 PM

R373, AirBnB works just as well in Peru as anywhere else. I used it in Cuzco once to stay with friends and we ended up getting a better deal than staying in hotel. We had a whole apartment to ourselves with kitchen, views of the city. Had a great time.

Ideally, for a Peru trip, at least 2 weeks would be nice. It also depends on how much of the country you aim to see. If Cuzco, MP and the Sacred Valley are the only objective, two weeks is good - and I say that realizing that that is about the maximum amount of time that most Americans can swing. If you're retired or can stay longer, then oh my God, four weeks is great. I strongly recommend seeing the Ancash region and the Chachapoyas region — these regions see so few tourists in comparison to Cuzco and they have a lot to offer.

I like to travel at a slower pace and really take a region in. But with 2 weeks, you could do a Nazca-Arequipa-Cuzco trip, or Cuzco-Amazon, Cuzco-Titicaca. Lots of possibilities!

by Anonymousreply 374January 20, 2019 3:51 PM

R373, I forgot to address the last part of your question regarding flights in Peru. I've flown probably a dozen or so times over the Andes in South America, and it's always been smooth sailing. It's a rather amazing sight when you're coasting above the snowy peaks. Millions make the flight to Cuzco every year without issue, so you should be fine.

by Anonymousreply 375January 22, 2019 11:21 PM

Speaking of Cuzco, Robert De Niro was just traveling there, and he was awarded the keys to the city.

He also dined at Central Restaurant. Maybe he was reading this thread! (j/k)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 376January 22, 2019 11:26 PM

One more thing that you might want to do in Cuzco is visit the Traditional Textiles Center. They have a nice little museum, shop, and the space is even set up so that you can observe traditional weavers working on their craft.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 377January 23, 2019 7:30 PM

If you want to try your hand at weaving, there are lots of workshops in the Cuzco area where they'll teach you some of the fundamentals. You probably won't emerge as an expert, but it will make you appreciate all of the work that goes into it!

I signed up for a workshop in Chinchero where they demonstrated how they still use natural dyes to achieve the different colors of their garments. To achieve the red color below, the ladies use ground-up cochineal insects found on cactus plants.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 378January 23, 2019 7:46 PM

Peru should just make Cusco the capital. It's where everyone wants to go anyway.

by Anonymousreply 379January 24, 2019 9:33 PM

R379, about 9 million Limeños might have some issue with that. It would make a much prettier and more iconic capital though.

by Anonymousreply 380January 24, 2019 9:48 PM

Here is the video of De Niro in Cuzco. Seems like he had himself a nice time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 381January 24, 2019 10:00 PM

Of possible interest, one can find witch markets in Lima, Cuzco, and other large cities. Quail eggs, love potions, snake skulls, voodoo dolls. Peru might be one of the 'witchiest' and most superstitious places I've ever been. Interesting to see, but I wouldn't mess around with it...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 382January 24, 2019 10:18 PM

Ooops, the link to where you can find the markets for your spells..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 383January 24, 2019 10:21 PM

As I wrote up thread, I visited Peru in 1995.

All people visiting that country since that time are just copying me and, at bottom, want to be me.

by Anonymousreply 384January 24, 2019 10:23 PM

R384, lucky. I would like to have seen MP in 1995. Fewer tourists, I'm sure.

Here's MP in 1972. I love these old videos of the site.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 385January 24, 2019 11:34 PM

I haven't been to Cusco, but I've been to Costco. Same thing, right?

by Anonymousreply 386January 25, 2019 12:36 AM

Hah copycat R384, my first visit was in 1985.

by Anonymousreply 387January 25, 2019 4:17 AM

Random Peru fact: Tupac [Amaru] Shakur was named after Tupac Amaru II, an Inca leader who led an uprising against the Spaniard conquistadors of the time.

by Anonymousreply 388January 25, 2019 1:49 PM

Another view of the Kuelap fortress in Peru's north. Their civilization lived in round, stone structures, and it is definitely worth visiting this vast and less-visited site.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 389January 25, 2019 4:27 PM

is there a Starbucks at any of these sights?

by Anonymousreply 390January 25, 2019 5:23 PM

R390, no, Dee, but in Mexico, Wal-Mart somehow managed to get permission to build a store within 1 mile of the Teotihuacan ruins!😲

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 391January 25, 2019 7:01 PM

Is that where the traditional women wrestle?

by Anonymousreply 392January 27, 2019 3:23 AM

R392, that's Bolivia. It's called cholita wrestling and it's wild!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 393January 27, 2019 3:30 AM

If there isn't a Starbucks with internet I am not going.

by Anonymousreply 394January 27, 2019 3:50 AM

Cusco is beautiful, and very much worth visiting,. Lima is a hideous and huge dump, but you can eat incredibly well there. (Peruvian food is the best.)

by Anonymousreply 395January 27, 2019 3:55 AM

R394, Cuzco does have a Starbucks, in the historical plaza of all places, believe it or not. At least the city forced them to be discreet and blend in with the surrounding architecture.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 396January 27, 2019 3:56 AM

Thank God those heathens gave us a Starbucks.

by Anonymousreply 397January 27, 2019 4:01 AM

[quote] Lima is a hideous and huge dump,

Outside of Miraflores and Barranco, I unfortunately tend to agree with this. Lima has great food and museums, but the rest of the city is not aesthetically pleasing. In a lot of ways, it reminds me in many eerie ways about my own city (LA) -- a sprawling, coastal, dusty, concrete beast ruled by cars and traffic. The best of Peru is certainly outside of Lima.

by Anonymousreply 398January 27, 2019 4:11 AM

I've seen videos of those gals, R393. They look tough as nails!

by Anonymousreply 399January 27, 2019 4:55 AM

R399, in general, rural, Andean women are on a different plane of toughness -- tilling their farms with a baby wrapped on their back, or any other number of tasks. It's a common sight all over.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 400January 27, 2019 4:24 PM

Our shuttle van from the Lima airport to our hotel downtown was mobbed at a couple of intersections with people sticking their hands in the windows begging for handouts. Not a great intro to the city. The Miraflores area was much nicer.

by Anonymousreply 401January 27, 2019 5:33 PM

Interesting fact: it is estimated that Peru has 15 uncontacted tribes in the Amazon region.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 402January 27, 2019 6:03 PM

Sounds great R402. I should go introduce them to the Word of God!

by Anonymousreply 403January 28, 2019 1:39 PM

and which word and god would that be?

by Anonymousreply 404January 28, 2019 10:42 PM

R403, these tribes are deep in the Amazon rainforest. Good luck finding a way there -- even getting to Iquitos is an ordeal. And the jungle kicks your ass, or at least it kicked mine.

by Anonymousreply 405January 29, 2019 3:45 AM

Interesting fact: Peru's Amazon is home to a boiling river which kills anything that enters it. Cooks you to the bone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 406January 30, 2019 6:45 PM

Peru is considered one of the six cradles of civilization.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 407January 31, 2019 12:11 AM

Good news for those who are wheelchair-bound. Access to MP is now wheelchair-accessible through a travel company.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 408February 5, 2019 12:01 AM

Ugh. If you've seen the pics you've basically been there.

by Anonymousreply 409February 5, 2019 12:18 AM

R409, silliness! So much to appreciate about the site besides that one iconic photo which everyone takes.

by Anonymousreply 410February 5, 2019 12:28 AM

Wrong, R409. Having been there, I promise it isn't the same.

by Anonymousreply 411February 5, 2019 12:38 AM

wheelchair-accessible in Peru means some poor incas get paid to carry you around.

by Anonymousreply 412February 5, 2019 12:41 AM

R409, I've been lucky enough to go to MP twice, and I would still like to visit a third time in my lifetime.

In both trips, I've spent around 3 months total in Peru, and there is still so much stuff which I haven't yet seen. I would travel there again in a heartbeat.

by Anonymousreply 413February 5, 2019 5:37 AM

The Cordillera Huayhuash is a part of the country that has some of the most spectacular scenery.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 414February 5, 2019 5:49 AM

Peru has plenty of these phallic statues to help you with all of your fertility needs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 415February 7, 2019 5:58 PM

I don't usually like too many Youtube videos, but I enjoyed this video (it's in Spanish though). He visits Huilloc, one of my fave Peru small towns. Also, he's easy on the eyes. I believe they're gay. Or maybe they're just Spaniards. It's hard to tell with them. 😆

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 416February 7, 2019 6:04 PM

Well, I tried Inca Kola yesterday and it was as shitty as everyone says it was.

by Anonymousreply 417February 7, 2019 7:32 PM

I had the soda once. It wasn't that bad.

by Anonymousreply 418February 8, 2019 2:30 AM

I'm surprised at the strong aversion to Inca Kola. Yes, it is cloyingly sweet, but no worse than many a children's drink like Hawaiian Punch or what have you.

by Anonymousreply 419February 8, 2019 6:09 PM

Inca Kola is not so terrible. (The worst soda I've ever tasted is Moxie from Maine). Inca Kola tastes like bubblegum-flavored soda.. some people like that flavor, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 420February 8, 2019 6:29 PM

Richard Gere at MP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 421February 8, 2019 6:47 PM

Interesting fact: shrunken heads were only ever documented amongst a few Amazonian tribes of Peru and Ecuador.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 422February 8, 2019 7:11 PM

Hide the guinea pigs R421.

by Anonymousreply 423February 8, 2019 8:17 PM

R423, lol!

Here is Zac Efron at MP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 424February 8, 2019 9:29 PM

Other Peruvian archaeological sites of interest: El Gran Pajaten, south of Leimebamba.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 425February 10, 2019 10:00 PM

The cliffside sarcophagi of Carajia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 426February 10, 2019 10:03 PM

The tombs of Revash.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 427February 10, 2019 10:10 PM

How did they end up with such a strange border anyway?

by Anonymousreply 428February 10, 2019 10:46 PM

R428, I'm not sure, but this is the historic (1711) map of Peru. Border disputes with Chile and Ecuador probably helped alter it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 429February 10, 2019 10:57 PM

Seeing the Inca quarry site above Ollantaytambo was one of the cooler things to see. You can see giant, carved out stones and a sun-dial which were meant to be transported before the Spanish disruption. At this site, there is even a cave with mummified remains still in there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 430February 10, 2019 11:20 PM

These are the mummified remains at the Quarry site. Somebody left coca leaves there as an offering.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 431February 10, 2019 11:21 PM

Went there once in 1997. Loved it!

by Anonymousreply 432February 11, 2019 6:24 PM

I went there with my husband and we loved it. We flew directly into Cusco and stayed there for several weeks. The first couple of nights I felt awful though. Breathless, awful headache, was sick etc. Fortunately, the hotel we stayed at had oxygen which provided some temporary relief. OTOH, my husband was fine. We thought it would be the other way around, that he would get sick, and I'd be fine. Definitely rest up and let yourself acclimatize to the height.

by Anonymousreply 433February 11, 2019 7:09 PM

One of the cutest animals in Peru. The vicuña.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 434February 11, 2019 8:23 PM

It's a nice country. but I feel that it is stuck in the 80s compared to its neighboring countries.

by Anonymousreply 435February 11, 2019 8:30 PM

R435, Peru is definitely a country best visited for its past. Some of the smaller, rural towns feel more like the 1880s!

by Anonymousreply 436February 11, 2019 8:34 PM

In some places, maybe closer to the 1580s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 437February 11, 2019 9:51 PM

That animal looks related to an ostrich R434.

by Anonymousreply 438February 12, 2019 1:18 AM

R438, they're a little funny looking, but their wool is considered finer than that of the alpaca, and it's worth it's weight in gold. It's substantially finer than cashmere.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 439February 12, 2019 1:46 AM

Damn. I wanna go.

by Anonymousreply 440February 12, 2019 4:44 AM

IF you'd like a vicuña coat, this one can be had for $14,000.🤣

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 441February 12, 2019 6:19 PM

R440, you should go. Peru has a treasure trove of sites, and it really should be high up there as one of the world's most visited countries. Unfortunately, Peru's Ministry of Tourism is understaffed and just not very competent. 95% of their tourism efforts and attention is focused on Machu Picchu ⸺ to the exclusion of other sites. Every non-MP site I went to, the locals complained about this. Other countries with their archaeology sites would be promoting the heck out of them.

by Anonymousreply 442February 12, 2019 7:12 PM

I still laugh when I hear the word Titicaca.

by Anonymousreply 443February 13, 2019 12:36 AM

Yeah I think of Saffy's friend.

by Anonymousreply 444February 13, 2019 12:48 AM

Be prepared to eat lots of potatoes.

by Anonymousreply 445February 13, 2019 6:33 AM

R445, yes, I was potato'd out for awhile after my time there. Peru certainly contributed the potatoes part to "meat and potatoes." I did like their dish, "papa a la huancaina" -- potatoes swimming in a sorta spicy cheese sauce.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 446February 13, 2019 6:00 PM

The pyramid city of Caral, about 3 hours north of Lima, is worth a visit. It's the most ancient city of the Americas, dating back to around 2600 BC. You can visit the remnants of their pyramids, still in good condition despite suffering the effects of wind erosion and exposure to El Niño conditions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 447February 13, 2019 6:33 PM

I like that coat, R441. Too bad about the price.

by Anonymousreply 448February 13, 2019 7:30 PM

Corn is originally from meso America and there are many strange varieties grown in the Andes.

Some of the kernals are huge and colorful and some are infected with a smut which makes them a delicacy.

Be prepared for street vendors selling little bags smutty corn and flavored big-ass corn.

by Anonymousreply 449February 13, 2019 7:39 PM

R419 -- IN NO WAY can Inca Kola be compared to Hawaiian Punch. Hawaiian Punch is sublime.

Inca Kola is ridiculously sweet and over-flavored with a myriad of flavors, but with bubblegum being the chief identifiable flavor.

Definitely an acquired taste, if you can ever develop a like for it. To each his own, I guess.

Glad I tried one once and glad to be able to tell people how utterly awful it was 30 odd years later.

by Anonymousreply 450February 13, 2019 9:37 PM

R448, for the price of their wool, I realize that clearly I'm in the wrong profession and what I need to do is buy some vast grasslands somewhere in Montana and raise myself some vicuñas on a farm.🤣

In all seriousness, vicuñas can only be sheared once every three years and when you do, you only get about 150 grams of wool. And they don't do captivity well. Male vicuñas will fight each other and can't be kept in close proximity to each other. Hence the reason their fleece is so rare and expensive.

by Anonymousreply 451February 13, 2019 9:40 PM

Play this song on your car radio when you move, r451

by Anonymousreply 452February 13, 2019 9:43 PM

^^ The song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 453February 13, 2019 9:43 PM

[quote] Can anyone explain why someone named Alberto Fujimori, who went to college in Wisconsin, was the President of Peru for 10 years?

Peru is the only country in Latin America where people correctly guessed that my boyfriend I was traveling with was Japanese. Everywhere else, the default assumption was Chinese. I wonder how much having had Fujimori as a president had to do with that.

by Anonymousreply 454February 13, 2019 10:54 PM

R449, the corn of Peru is massive and pale. I do sorta prefer the smaller, sweeter, yellow-kerneled corn of US/Mexico.

R453, lol.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 455February 13, 2019 10:59 PM

Connie Francis and Belinda Carlisle. Oh. Wait. Sorry I thought you said has beens in Peru.

by Anonymousreply 456February 13, 2019 11:05 PM

Openly homosexual former Tory MP Matthew Parris traveled around Peru back when it was wild and woolly to do so, and wrote a fairly well known book about it. I read the book after I got back from Peru, and actually didn't like it much; there was a kind of obliviousness, and it wasn't quite as well written as I expect from a Cambridge man.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 457February 13, 2019 11:29 PM

R457, some of Mario Vargas Llosa's novels are the best about Peru.

Interesting fact: Peru was one of the places that James Michener regretted never visiting and writing a book about.

by Anonymousreply 458February 14, 2019 5:42 AM

Paracas, 3 hours south of Lima, is worth a diversion. You can visit the Islas Ballestas (called the Poor Man's Galapagos) and see tons of species of birds and marine life. On that same boat tour, you can see the candelabra geoglyphs along the red sand coastline.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 459February 14, 2019 8:26 PM

In Paracas, you can also visit the Paracas History Museum, where you can view the elongated skulls ⸺artificial cranial deformation ⸺ which were favored by the nobility of the Paracas culture.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 460February 14, 2019 9:09 PM

That hair on the skull freaks me out, R460.

by Anonymousreply 461February 15, 2019 12:16 AM

R461, yeah, the level of preservation on some of Peru's mummies, especially the Nazca ones, is such that they still have hair and soft tissue after more than 1,000 years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 462February 15, 2019 1:15 AM

^Is that Ms Coco Peru?

by Anonymousreply 463February 15, 2019 7:43 AM

[quote]I wonder how much having had Fujimori as a president had to do with that.

According to Wiki, R454, Japanese Peruvians make up 5-7% of the population and they've been there since 1899, so they're very familiar with Nipponese.

by Anonymousreply 464February 15, 2019 3:11 PM

Wow, this thread just keeps going and going, who woulda thunk?

by Anonymousreply 465February 15, 2019 3:28 PM

R464, that is true. Lima has a Museum of Japanese immigration which, unfortunately, I never had a chance to visit.

Fujimori, himself, remains a polarizing figure in the country. Peru is divided about equally half and half (does that sound familiar?) between those who still support him and those who don't. The rural Peruvians I met seemed to love him for using an iron fist to eliminate Sendero Luminoso (Shining Path) ⸺ the armed, Maoist, insurgency group who terrorized the central Andes for two decades. Others have other opinions. It's still a touchy, contentious subject which rarely gets brought up in mixed company.

by Anonymousreply 466February 15, 2019 6:42 PM

In case anybody is wondering how/why Japanese immigrants ended up in Peru:

[quote] At the end of the nineteenth century in Japan, the rumor spread that a country called Peru somewhere on the opposite side of the earth was "full of gold". This country, moreover, was a paradise with a mild climate, rich soil for farming, familiar dietary customs, and no epidemics, according to advertisements of Japanese emigration companies.[citation needed] 790 Japanese, all men between the ages of 20 and 45, left Japan in 1898 to work on Peru's coastal plantations as contract laborers. Their purpose was simple: to earn and save money for the return home upon termination of their four-year contracts. The 25 yen monthly salary on Peru's plantations was more than double the average salary in rural Japan (Suzuki, 1992)

Below is an image of Fujimori dressed in traditional clothes, visiting tiny, rural communities who had never had a president visit them before ⸺ part of what helped his appeal in the area.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 467February 15, 2019 7:03 PM

R465, Peru is worthy of such a thread. I've been fortunate enough to have visited 27 countries, and if I had to rank them, Peru would be in the 1 or 2 spot.

by Anonymousreply 468February 15, 2019 8:47 PM

Apparently, streaking at Machu Picchu was a thing for awhile about 5 years back. 😲 Seems that Peruvian authorities have clamped down since then....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 469February 15, 2019 11:51 PM

Wow, I kinda wanna try this Inca kola just to see how bad it is.

by Anonymousreply 470February 16, 2019 2:11 AM

You'll only need to try once, R470!

by Anonymousreply 471February 16, 2019 2:19 AM

R470, Inca Kola is omnipresent in Peru. You can get it anywhere and will be offered it everywhere. Peruvians are very proud of their national soda, and it's more popular than Coca Cola.

Try it once, like R471, and have a pisco sour instead. Or a maracuya sour ⸺ a passionfruit pisco sour.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 472February 16, 2019 2:32 AM

Now, pisco sours on the other hand are fantastic! And I'm not a drinker.

by Anonymousreply 473February 16, 2019 2:34 AM

That looks like a UFO skull, R460.

by Anonymousreply 474February 16, 2019 3:30 AM

R474, artificial cranial deformation was performed by a few civilizations. It involved deforming the normal growth of an infant's skull via headbinding ⸺ the process took about six months. It was meant to denote a higher social status, but yeah, to our modern eyes, it has a rather freaky looking effect.

by Anonymousreply 475February 16, 2019 5:16 AM

I guess it was more noticeable than driving a Lexus or wearing big diamonds.

by Anonymousreply 476February 16, 2019 5:53 PM

R476, lol! The royalty favored being buried with their favorite jewelry and gems ⸺ headdresses, earrings, and ornaments made of gold, silver, copper, and precious stones.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 477February 16, 2019 8:28 PM

So Peru or Egypt for a trip? My partner and I have always wanted to see the pyramids but Peru is a lot closer.

by Anonymousreply 478February 17, 2019 12:03 AM

I really, really want to go to Egypt but am not sure it's necessarily safe still. I believe most tours have armed guards. At least you'll be safe in Peru (I've been there and it was great).

by Anonymousreply 479February 17, 2019 12:28 AM

R478, I would choose Peru. Not to discount Egypt, but there's just more scenic diversity (jungle, coast, mountains) and a larger cluster of different civilizations ⸺ the Inca, Nazca, Chachapoyas, Chavin, Moche, Chimu, Wari ⸺ with different styles of ruins. Peru is also safer, as R479 mentioned, and not gay-hostile.

by Anonymousreply 480February 17, 2019 2:29 AM

Egypt has the sphinx though.

by Anonymousreply 481February 17, 2019 4:50 AM

So does Peru!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 482February 17, 2019 8:05 AM

R482, Peru also has a mountainous ruins of Marcahuasi --- stone formations thought to be 10,000 years old, some of which resemble human, animal, and religious figures. One of them resembles the sphinx.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 483February 17, 2019 6:31 PM

Even in Lima, you can see ruins. The Huaca Pucllana is surrounded on all sides by the modern low rise apartments and restaurants of Miraflores.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 484February 17, 2019 9:30 PM

Peru over Egypt just for the ceviche alone R478

by Anonymousreply 485February 19, 2019 12:55 AM

R485, Peruvian ceviche is much better than poke... more acidic and flavorful. If it ever caught on, it would be just as big as the millions of poke bowl places which have sprouted up in the last 5 years or so.

by Anonymousreply 486February 19, 2019 5:49 PM

I went to Macchu Picchu in 1989 and it did not disappoint. I would go again for sure.

by Anonymousreply 487February 20, 2019 10:45 PM

A 1,000 year old, curled-up mummy was unearthed just within the last year, corresponding to the Pachacamac culture ⸺ a 50-year-old woman sitting in a fetal position.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 488February 20, 2019 11:50 PM

Over 100 dog mummies have been found in Peru, nestled near human remains ⸺ likely their owners who requested that their pets be buried with them for the afterlife.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 489February 20, 2019 11:55 PM

Dog looks taxidermied.

by Anonymousreply 490February 22, 2019 7:39 PM

If you spend time in Cuzco, it's possible you'll be given coca leaves to chew or to brew in tea. Just remember, do [italic] not [/italic] bring any coca leaves back with you to the US, as it's considered illegal.

After unpacking clothes from his trip to Peru, a friend found out afterwards that he accidentally brought back a small handful in a shirt pocket ⸺ oops!

by Anonymousreply 491February 22, 2019 9:03 PM

But do enjoy the coca tea while you're there. It's very soothing and helps with the altitude.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 492February 22, 2019 9:07 PM

I want to go but the altitude sickness thing scares me.

by Anonymousreply 493February 23, 2019 6:43 AM

Start at sea level aka Lima, then work your way up the elevation

by Anonymousreply 494February 23, 2019 4:48 PM

Don't let the altitude stop you, R493. We went with friends are were all fine and didn't encounter any other tourists complaining about it.

by Anonymousreply 495February 23, 2019 5:00 PM

R494, what R495 said. You just need to set aside a few days to acclimate. Afterwards, you'll be fine.

by Anonymousreply 496February 23, 2019 5:33 PM

Someone on another thread said it has amazing witch markets.

by Anonymousreply 497February 23, 2019 8:07 PM

R497, that was probably me, and yes, it does! Located in the larger markets in cities like Chiclayo, Lima, and Cuzco, it's an experience browsing through it ⸺ elixirs, strange brews, animal paws, herbs, sword staffs, voodoo dolls, anaconda 'oil, dried snake, love potions. You name, it's there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 498February 24, 2019 3:25 AM

R498 What stores in the U.S would you recommend?

by Anonymousreply 499February 24, 2019 9:20 PM

R499, sorry, can't help you there. I only visited the witch market as a sort of novelty -- not a practitioner of it (or any religion). It was interesting to observe though!

by Anonymousreply 500February 24, 2019 10:06 PM

I've been to Peru, but I've never been to me.

by Anonymousreply 501February 25, 2019 3:29 PM

I do like the view of the narrow, cobblestone Cuzco streets at night, dimly lit up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 502February 25, 2019 8:09 PM

The narrow, Inca-walled alleys of Ollantaytambo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 503February 25, 2019 8:12 PM

Isn't Benjamin Bratt Peruvian?

by Anonymousreply 504February 25, 2019 11:28 PM

He is half Peruvian on his mother's side, R504.

by Anonymousreply 505February 26, 2019 5:09 AM

Idahoans and Ireland would love it. So. Many. Potatoes.

by Anonymousreply 506March 2, 2019 2:22 PM

The Inca military outpost of Puca Pucara are near Cuzco and worth checking out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 507March 2, 2019 8:50 PM

The site of Tambomachay was a sort of spa resort for the Inca elite. You can get there from Cuzco via taxi, bus, or hiking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 508March 2, 2019 8:56 PM

I wanna ride a llama.

by Anonymousreply 509March 2, 2019 10:59 PM

Sorry Fester,riding a llama would be akin to riding a goat—not really possible.

by Anonymousreply 510March 2, 2019 11:02 PM

R509, not unless you're a very tiny human or child, and even then, extremely doubtful. Llamas are pack animals that only carry up to a certain amount of weight on their back ⸺ a tour guide gave us an exact weight in kilos, but I forget. Any more than that limit and they sit down and refuse to budge.

by Anonymousreply 511March 2, 2019 11:46 PM

Forbes correctly lists Peru as one of the best places to visit on a budget.

(And it's even better on a 'splurge,' because you can get 5 star treatment for just-above normal prices)!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 512March 11, 2019 6:50 PM

It's also one of the best places to go on a tour of coffee and chocolate (cacao) farms/processing plants.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 513March 11, 2019 6:55 PM

As long as the lady is paying, why not take the vicuna, R441?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 514March 11, 2019 11:47 PM

A mass sacrifice site was just unearthed in Peru this past month, pertaining to the Chimu culture (not Inca) in the 15th century -- of humans and llamas; perhaps in an attempt to stem the rains, flooding, and mudflows of El Niño.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 515March 12, 2019 2:07 AM

Them llamas good eatin’?

by Anonymousreply 516March 12, 2019 2:12 AM

R516, llama tastes good. Pretty inoffensive, like a gamier beef (think venison).

by Anonymousreply 517March 12, 2019 2:16 AM

The Huaca Huallamarca pyramid, with a view of modern, urban Lima sprawl in the background.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 518March 12, 2019 2:17 AM

KFC is inexplicably popular down there amongst the middle and upper classes.

by Anonymousreply 519March 12, 2019 5:13 PM

R519, yes! KFC is the definitely the only real popular American fast food chain. It's a whole dine-in experience, with families sitting at tables, restaurant style. They even have a KFC on Cuzco's main plaza, but at least it's somewhat tastefully blended in.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 520March 12, 2019 6:07 PM

A room full of eerie, masked idols found in the Chan Chan citadel this past year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 521March 20, 2019 4:08 PM

Parque Rio Abiseo is a gorgeous and little-traveled part of Peru. Access is a little tricky, as you need special permission, but it's worth it to explore some of the country's most pristine nature.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 522March 24, 2019 1:34 AM

If you do the Inca trail, Sayacmarca is one of the ruins only you'll get to see. Beware the steep stairs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 523March 24, 2019 1:55 AM

I plan on going to Machu Picchu in the summer and I hope it's not too crowded.

by Anonymousreply 524March 24, 2019 6:59 PM

R524, there will be people there, and there's no getting around it. But this year, they are implementing a new system to stagger tourists into different time blocks -- that way, not all tourists are swarming the site at once. I think it'll work better in the long run.

by Anonymousreply 525March 24, 2019 9:14 PM

Who do I have to sleep with to get a tour of Machu Pichu before or afterhours?

by Anonymousreply 526March 25, 2019 12:12 AM

R526, with MP, impossible I would think. Unless you personally know someone very high up -- like the head of the Ministry of Tourism. Even high-profile celebrities are photographed sharing the ruins with the masses.

In other sites, it's possible. I visited Pisac and Ollantaytambo afterhours because I became friends with someone who knew someone -- a lot of Peru is like that.

by Anonymousreply 527March 25, 2019 12:54 AM

Is the film Apocalypto based off of the inca?

by Anonymousreply 528March 25, 2019 10:35 PM

R528, no. Apocalypto was sort of a weird, not-so-accurate mishmash of both the Aztec and Mayan civilizations, incorporating elements of both cultures. It was probably supposed to be set in the Yucatan peninsula of Mexico, though I believe it was filmed in Veracruz. It was sort of entertaining if you could get past who the director was.

I am surprised nobody has made an epic Inca movie yet though. They should.

by Anonymousreply 529March 26, 2019 12:29 AM

R526, as I have mentioned several times, stay at the hotel on-site and you can have access before and after the crowds of day-tourists.

by Anonymousreply 530March 27, 2019 4:41 AM

Don't pass up the magic mushrooms on sale in town! A friend took them at MP and said lying on the mountain tripping was, literally, a peak life experience.

by Anonymousreply 531March 27, 2019 4:50 AM

R530, sorry, I forgot. What an amazing experience it must be to be at the site without crowds.

R531, that reminds me of another popular reason tourists visit Peru: to try ayahuasca and hallucinogenic San Pedro cactus (both legal in the country). Met a lot of people who've tried both and sounds like they trip balls. Ayahuasca sounds scary to me; the whole experience -- has to be administered by a shaman, and when you drink the vile tea, you vomit. Yikes, no for me. There are some scary, cautionary stories out there. I would not recommend.

by Anonymousreply 532March 27, 2019 6:49 PM

ayahuasca sounds dope

by Anonymousreply 533March 28, 2019 12:37 AM

R533, I know of more than just a few, scary ayahuasca stories. Keep away, kids, is all I have to say about that...

by Anonymousreply 534April 7, 2019 11:39 PM

Just returned from a vacation to South America, including 10 days in Peru. I was advised to take altitude sickness medication (Acetazolamide) 1-2 days BEFORE I left Lima to go up into the Andes, but I did not follow the advice, since I've been to places like Denver, Mexico City, and Haleakala without a problem. Bad mistake.

I flew from Lima to Puno and knew 30 seconds after getting off the plane that I would have problems. Moderate to severe altitude sickness was much worse than I ever imagined, and totally immobilized me. It ruined the 10 days I spent in Puno, Lake Titicaca, Cusco, Aguas Calientes, and Machu Picchu. It took 2 days after I returned to sea level to get back to normal.

Since there's no correlation between getting altitude sickness and your age and/or health, my recommendation is be be safe and take your medication as suggested. Peru was a beautiful country. Don't ruin your trip like I did.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 535April 8, 2019 12:03 AM

R535, yikes! Sorry to hear that. Altitude sickness is definitely no fun.

by Anonymousreply 536April 8, 2019 12:26 AM

If you want a (relatively) inexpensive planned trip to Peru from the US, I highly recommend Kaypi Peru Tours. We did their 10-day Cultural Immersion Trip and it was fantastic. Guides/drivers were great, hotels were well-located, clean, and safe, and every transfer happened on time, as advertised. And plenty of time to explore on our own. This was our itinerary:

Day 1: Fly to Lima, Peru (plane fare included)

Day 2: Tour the city of Lima.

Day 3: Fly from Lima to Juliaca. Travel to Puno.

Day 4: Take a boat trip to the Islas Uros floating islands and Amantani Island (staying with a local family).

Day 5: Travel by boat to Taquile Island, then return to Puno.

Day 6: Ride a tour bus to Cusco.

Day 7: Spend the day at leisure in Cusco.

Day 8: Take the train to Machu Picchu.

Day 9: Tour Machu Picchu, then return to Cusco.

Day 10: Fly from Cusco to Lima then home to the United States.

Did I mention that I found this trip on Groupon Getaways? I was very careful at first, but the price was terrific and there were 300+ five star reviews on TripAdvisor, so we went for it. So glad I did. Worth waiting to see if it comes up again on Groupon, as we saved 50%.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 537April 10, 2019 1:15 AM

R537, nice suggestions. That's a good itinerary for people who have limited number of days in the country.

by Anonymousreply 538April 10, 2019 8:44 PM

The unsung heroes of the Inca trail: the porters. Please tip well if you go on a trek that employs their labor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 539April 26, 2019 11:43 PM

Did you have an Inca Kola, r537?

by Anonymousreply 540April 26, 2019 11:57 PM

R540, why yes, I did! This was not my first trip to Peru, but it was for my husband. He agreed with me that it tastes a lot like Bazooka Bubble Gum (remember that?).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 541April 27, 2019 12:20 AM

Wow. Great thread!

by Anonymousreply 542April 27, 2019 1:15 AM

The Guardian recommends an alternative to the Inca Trail, the Incas' Royal Road to the Chavin de Huantar site.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 543May 11, 2019 11:52 PM

This is not good news. An airport possibly being built in the Sacred Valley. Hope it can be stopped.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 544May 17, 2019 11:17 PM

In better news, archaeologists have discovered that the ancient Wari in Peru were Big beer brewers, Major party animals.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 545May 17, 2019 11:30 PM

I like the sweet purple corn drink they serve to you in Peruvian restaurants

by Anonymousreply 546May 18, 2019 12:19 AM

Purple (Inka) Drank !?

by Anonymousreply 547May 18, 2019 12:25 AM

R546, that's chicha morada. It's very delicious. Almost every little market in Peru sells the purple corn that they boil down to achieve the deep purple color.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 548May 18, 2019 1:52 AM

My Inca Trail trek starts in 5 weeks and I haven't booked my flights.

Is Avianca a reliable airline?

by Anonymousreply 549May 18, 2019 2:29 AM

R549, I've had nothing but pleasant experiences with Avianca. On time, good prices, friendly flight attendants, smooth flight, decent entertainment.

Good luck on your trek! I'm sure you'll love it.

by Anonymousreply 550May 18, 2019 2:42 AM

My first flight with them from Lima to Cusco back in the early 90s was 3rd World all the way. No assigned seating (so there are a pressing rush at the gate and people carrying on chickens..

by Anonymousreply 551May 18, 2019 3:35 PM

I believe I flew an airline called Fawcett when I was there.

by Anonymousreply 552May 18, 2019 5:41 PM

Are there any nice beaches there?

by Anonymousreply 553May 28, 2019 3:09 PM

R553, the beaches are not the most scenic in terms of a quintessential tropical beach with clear water and white sand. Those would be located further up in Colombia. Mancora, up north, is probably the nicest beach with warm-ish water. The southern beaches are cold and tend to be overcast -- excellent seafood though.

by Anonymousreply 554May 28, 2019 6:27 PM

Ah, fuck...flight prices have gone up to over 1,200 for a decent flight. A couple of months ago, they were 800. Why, oh, why do I keep putting things off!

by Anonymousreply 555May 29, 2019 2:25 AM

R555, sorry to hear. Flight prices will definitely be the most expensive thing in Peru! Everything else is such a bargain.

by Anonymousreply 556May 29, 2019 1:29 PM

If you're lucky, you might get to see this red river flowing near Cuzco.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 557May 30, 2019 4:52 AM

OP, if by Peru you mean me, then yes.

by Anonymousreply 558May 30, 2019 4:59 AM

Some pretty Andean scenery.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 559June 1, 2019 3:17 PM

Those two nice gay boys. They weren't there very long.

by Anonymousreply 560June 1, 2019 3:18 PM

And another.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 561June 1, 2019 3:22 PM

What the coastal scenery looks like along the Paracas reserve.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 562June 1, 2019 6:54 PM

R555, did you go on your trip to Peru yet?

by Anonymousreply 563June 11, 2019 4:27 AM

R563, no, in 3 weeks.

by Anonymousreply 564June 11, 2019 1:06 PM

R249 I'm surprised such a large number don't speak Spanish.

by Anonymousreply 565June 11, 2019 7:42 PM

R565, yep. A good chunk of people in the high, rural Andes predominantly speak Quechua. The tourist areas will have mostly all Spanish speakers, and the very popular areas will have younger English speakers and guides.

by Anonymousreply 566June 11, 2019 8:19 PM

Countdown to Cusco in 3 days...

by Anonymousreply 567June 25, 2019 6:37 PM

R567, wow! Have a great trip!

by Anonymousreply 568July 1, 2019 7:01 AM

R567, how was your Inca trail trek?

by Anonymousreply 569July 7, 2019 8:49 PM

Trek was great and hard. I know it's not exactly climbing Mt. Everest but just because every tom, dick and harry has hiked the Inca Trail doesn't mean you should just show up with a ciggie in hand and no training at all. The trekking companies want business so though they do implore people to train for the hike they also don't want to exclude people. They want as many people to sign up as possible. It's a delicate balance.

I'm back at work so I can't go into every detail but my advice for those interested--get in shape. It's true being in shape doesn't mitigate high altitude sickness but it's a lot shittier if you are affected by the high altitude AND you're not fit to hike. The guides will turn back people they think aren't going to make it to the end. The first day of the classic trail hike is pretty easy-going and even then some people can't handle it. Probably due to adjusting to the high altitude. There are are some 2-10 minute stretches where you go up and you puff a bit but overall the first day is a bit of a stroll. The 2nd day to Dead Woman's Pass is all killer, no filler. The altitude really wrecked me but I inched my way to the top and even though going down on all those steps was jarring, just going down a few hundred meters helped with my overall wellbeing.

Overall, happy to finally have done it but once is enough. I also learned I'm too old for that camping shit. I'm no diva but hot showers and flushing toilets are now my bare minimums for any future travel.

by Anonymousreply 570July 10, 2019 3:35 PM

R570 is R567...sorry

by Anonymousreply 571July 10, 2019 3:39 PM

R570, glad to hear you made it! Thanks for the report back.

You're right -- hiking in the Andes is no joke. The hardest hike I ever did was part of the Inca Quarry trail and it kicked my ass. And I consider myself a pretty good mountain hiker back home here.

by Anonymousreply 572July 11, 2019 5:21 PM

Yeah, I heard from others who did the Quarry Trail--it's shorter than the Inca Trail but on day 2, they climbed two passes up to 4400 meters. Oh lord, no thanks. I'll take long distance any day over going up uphill.

by Anonymousreply 573July 11, 2019 11:08 PM

R573, it was the first time in my life I had to stop hiking and take a 15 minute break because I felt breathless. At the quarry, I got to see a genuine Inca stone sundial and mummified remains in an open tomb, so it was worth it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 574July 13, 2019 2:18 AM

Here's a 7-night tour to Peru (including airfare from the US) for $999. I know nothing about this company and saw the deal originally on Travelzoo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 575July 18, 2019 7:32 PM

No posts on here for quite a while. Surely someone went to Peru within the last month. It's the best time to go.

by Anonymousreply 576August 24, 2019 6:04 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!