Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The 2020 Democratic ticket will be...Part 2

Continuing discussion...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 600January 9, 2019 12:37 AM

Three of these include Beto. Can someone explain the fascination with this losing Senatorial candidate? What is it that qualifies him to be President without the usual experience in place? It seems like he has cast some sort of magic spell.

by Anonymousreply 1November 11, 2018 5:30 PM

[quote]Three of these include Beto. Can someone explain the fascination with this losing Senatorial candidate?

He’s hot.

by Anonymousreply 2November 11, 2018 5:33 PM

Maybe, r1, that’s because, unlike almost every other politician, he doesn’t look like a troll under a bridge.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3November 11, 2018 5:34 PM

Are people truly that shallow?

by Anonymousreply 4November 11, 2018 5:45 PM

Well, R1, perhaps you could explain the current pResident of the White House?

by Anonymousreply 5November 11, 2018 6:34 PM

Trump had a very clear and consistent message that many voters found compelling.

I just struggle to understand what exactly it is the Beto brings to the table that makes people consider him a potential presidential candidate.

by Anonymousreply 6November 11, 2018 6:45 PM

OP, here. I've included Beto in so many match-ups because the seeming consensus in the prior thread was that Beto is a contender. I am not in TX and did not pay much attention to him but there is lots of buzz. Buzz is an essential ingredient for a winning ticket in 2020.

by Anonymousreply 7November 11, 2018 7:51 PM

Bernie/Putin

by Anonymousreply 8November 11, 2018 8:21 PM

Another suggestion -- Clinton/Beto

by Anonymousreply 9November 11, 2018 10:28 PM

Shirley MacLaine / Debra Winger.

by Anonymousreply 10November 12, 2018 12:02 AM

Lots of discussion here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11November 12, 2018 3:50 AM

Winfrey/Hanks

by Anonymousreply 12November 12, 2018 3:55 AM

Still want his dick, but...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13November 12, 2018 4:03 AM

Krysten Sinema? Why isn't her name in the mix?

by Anonymousreply 14November 12, 2018 5:39 PM

Beto has already spent 6 years in the House. He actually has more years of experience in Congress than either Lyin' Ted did when he ran or Barack Obama did.

by Anonymousreply 15November 12, 2018 11:23 PM

Politico today: More than a quarter of Democratic voters, 26 percent, say Biden is their first choice to be the Democratic nominee. Another one-in-five, 19 percent, would pick Sanders, the runner-up for the nomination in 2016.

The two septuagenarians — Biden will be 77 on Election Day, 2020, and Sanders will be 79 — are the only two prospective candidates to garner double-digit support. The third-place candidate is Rep. Beto O’Rourke (R-Texas), who built national name-recognition through his losing Senate bid last week, with 8 percent.

“Beto O’Rourke is emerging to be an outside contender for the 2020 Democratic nomination, outpacing other potential nominees,” said Tyler Sinclair, Morning Consult’s vice president.

Following O’Rourke are three senators, all thought to be likely candidates: Sens. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.), Kamala Harris (D-Calif.) and Cory Booker (D-N.J.). Warren is at 5 percent, Harris at 4 percent and Booker at 3 percent.

by Anonymousreply 16November 12, 2018 11:26 PM

Avenatti and colleague!

by Anonymousreply 17November 12, 2018 11:33 PM

I am in Texas and was a huge Clinton shill in 2008.

The elections of Obama and Trump demonstrate that the right message and messenger beat out experience and pedigree.

Beto is:

• Attractive. He’s a slender, handsome man. Strong, but unintimidating. • Authentic. He seems real. From embracing his punk rock past to using the word fuck in speeches and interviews, you get the sense that he is who he is. He has been imperfect in his handling of past indiscretions, but he’s acknowledging them. • Affable. He passes the “have a beer with” test.

These things allowed him to be a serious Senate candidate in Texas (losing by three points)—where the Republican incumbent beat the Democrat by 13 points in the gubernatorial race—despite having a progressive agenda.

He’s the sort of cult candidate I used despise as a Clinton fan, but now crave in light of Trump. At this point, decency and youth mean a lot more to me.

by Anonymousreply 18November 12, 2018 11:57 PM

Beto is making social media horny.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19November 13, 2018 1:38 AM

M. Obama/ Beto O'Rourke

by Anonymousreply 20November 13, 2018 3:07 AM

Today was Beto Sex Tweet Day

by Anonymousreply 21November 13, 2018 3:51 AM

forgot the link to Beto Sex Tweet Day

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22November 13, 2018 3:51 AM

Just say 'no' to Bernie.

And just say 'no' to Biden.

I have no clue why anyone thinks these two old has-beens and never-weres should run.

by Anonymousreply 23November 13, 2018 4:04 AM

Amy Klobuchar + Anyone but Clinton, Biden, Bernie

by Anonymousreply 24November 13, 2018 4:07 AM

[quote]he has cast some sort of magic spell

Maybe that's what we need, though. Obama cast a spell too.

by Anonymousreply 25November 13, 2018 4:47 AM

Sherrod Brown or Mitch Landrieu + KLOBUCHAR

by Anonymousreply 26November 13, 2018 5:07 AM

Gavin Newsome/Kamala Harris

by Anonymousreply 27November 13, 2018 5:10 AM

Can R1 explain what it is that is so hard to understand about Beto’s appeal? Did you completely ignore the rapturous response he got in Texas? He’s inspirational, handsome, WHITE, a man, and if you took his performance in Texas — meaning the percentage of Republican votes, Democratic votes, and independents — and modeled it for all 50 states, he would win over 350 electoral votes.

Can someone explain why anyone think Kamala Harris could win?

by Anonymousreply 28November 13, 2018 5:27 AM

I should add, the reason I mentioned that Beto is a white man is because this country is deeply racist and even more sexist.

Again, I ask: why Kamala Harris?

by Anonymousreply 29November 13, 2018 5:29 AM

Beto / Franken

by Anonymousreply 30November 13, 2018 5:34 AM

[quote]More than a quarter of Democratic voters [bold]in in New York and DC[/bold] , 26 percent, say Biden is their first choice to be the Democratic nominee

There, I fixed Politico's statement. West Coasters are more likely to say Swalwell, Beto, or Garcetti over some East coast fossil.

by Anonymousreply 31November 13, 2018 5:37 AM

Do you think Kamala Harris would lose votes as compared to Hillary Clinton? Seriously, R28? She'd win every single Hillary voter and THEN some. How could she lose?

by Anonymousreply 32November 13, 2018 5:43 AM

I was emailed one of those very biased polls. All names listed were the same old, same old. Difficult to vote for another choice. So absolute "no" to re-treads.

Beto was for solid gun control and open immigration, according to the info I read. Both positions are too progressive for many flyovers. There are many, many other less controversial issues of concern to both flyovers, Independents, and East & West Coasters.

Don't know enough about several of the newer candidates and their positions to make a decision. like Amy K, and Sherrod Brown. Favor a ticket of 1 white male and one minority and/or woman.

by Anonymousreply 33November 13, 2018 5:45 AM

Yep, I like a Brown/Harris ticket myself--white guy who knows how to win in a red state and a smart WOC.

by Anonymousreply 34November 13, 2018 5:50 AM

I don't understand why so many are pushing Kamala Harris. CA always votes Blue. To what degree is she really favored outside of traditionally Blue-voting states? DL assumptions that she will automatically be favored by Black, minority, and women voters is misguided.

Would be much harder for the opposition to dis a candidate with solid military & police credentials and/or support. Many flyovers and Southern voters come from, are related to, or are very friendly with veterans and LE. Think about it.

by Anonymousreply 35November 13, 2018 5:56 AM

That’s my thinking, R35.

Are people really so out of touch that they think a black woman—who’s known for being kind of...gruff—could win the Electoral College?

by Anonymousreply 36November 13, 2018 5:58 AM

Beto seems unopposed to pretty open borders. El Paso is an international city, he says. I think he's solidly opposed to most deportations.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37November 13, 2018 6:30 AM

R37, That position will win him votes and support in El Paso and parts of CA, FL, and NY, and two of those states are already solid Blue. How about the Purple states? Does DL believe immigration won't be an issue in another 2 years?

Put it another way, which US Senators and Governors have achieved the most with the least amount of scandal? Add a big plus if they represent a Purple or better yet, a Red state. Why do we always hear the exact same names on DL re these threads?

by Anonymousreply 38November 13, 2018 6:45 AM

Harris/Warren

by Anonymousreply 39November 13, 2018 6:51 AM

Beto worked his ass off in this run. He criss-crossed the state nonstop from the day he announced his candidacy. He only lost by a small margin because of our rural voters. He has done nothing to deserve your dismissal attitude towards him.

by Anonymousreply 40November 13, 2018 7:02 AM

any inclination to nominate Warren, Biden, Sanders, and Clinton is a grave mistake. Democrats need to go in a bold, inspirational direction. To me Beto is a great choice but the immigration message is risky in the South and Midwest. Perhaps a top of ticket person like a Sherrod Brown, John Hickenlooper, or the Democratic governor of Montana whose name escapes me would be outstanding. My gut says no to nominating a woman since states like PA, MI, and WI appear to believe its not the job of a woman or some other sexist reason. The other states Hillary won are relatively safe blue states... we need to tailor our candidate to winning the three states that flipped red in 2016. It would be fools gold trying to concentrate on winning FL, GA, NC, OH, and AZ when it comes to the electoral college.

by Anonymousreply 41November 13, 2018 7:14 AM

Interesting that most of you have selected Biden, a guaranteed loss.

by Anonymousreply 42November 13, 2018 7:22 AM

It is disturbing reading posts that reference Beto being good-looking as a qualification. Take a look at the current president if you think attractiveness counts in getting elected.

by Anonymousreply 43November 13, 2018 9:50 AM

[quote] In what planet is Beto good looking.

In the American political planet, where most politicians looking like they're knocking on death's door.

by Anonymousreply 45November 13, 2018 11:40 AM

Amy Klobuchar / Cory Booker. No old white men this time out. If any of these old white men are half the politician they claim to be, they will know to stand aside in 2020.

Klobuchar was unforgettable in the Kavanaugh hearings. Especially with women. She is obviously very sharp and experienced She is Midwestern, so she knows how to present herself to a Midwestern electorate. The perfect antidote to Trump's misogyny and pig-like sexual behaviors.

Booker is more than ready to be Veep. He would get support from all corners of the Democratic party.

KLOBUCHAR / BOOKER in 2020!!!

by Anonymousreply 46November 13, 2018 11:58 AM

Booker would kill the ticket.

He is owned by big Pharma. There will be a purity test and he has failed it.

by Anonymousreply 47November 13, 2018 12:02 PM

I do not understand the fascination with Biden.

He's a three-time loser at the Presidential Primary game. He has a TON of legitimate baggage that will drag him on any campaign trail, most specifically with women and people of color (the Democratic Base) over his antics in the Anita Hill hearings. He's a gaffe machine. He's far too old.

He was a good VP, but he's no President, and he's not the kind of person we need to helm the Democratic Party in the age of Trump.

by Anonymousreply 48November 13, 2018 1:26 PM

R46, no one stands aside any more. 2008 was Hillary’s; 2016 Obama’s.

There used to be an experience threshold. Obama shattered it.

There used to be party allegiance and investment. One would work their way up the bench. Bernie broke that one.

There used to be decorum and respect for the office. Trump shot that to hell.

Being a hard worker, investing your life in institutions, being a good citizen used to mean something. Now, it doesn’t.

Stand aside? Come one. Come all.

by Anonymousreply 49November 13, 2018 1:44 PM

[quote] Can someone explain why anyone think Kamala Harris could win?

Female and of color. Obama won because he has everything Beto is alleged to have AND he is black. So he got votes from Democratic voters who never vote. If Beto were as special as it is claimed he wouId have beat Ted Cruz. Then we'd be all-in for Beto.

I am not against Beto but Dems need to be strategic, we need to approach 2020 on all fronts and need to get numbers that will overcome voter suppression and election fraud. I don't want to run an "almost" candidate against Trump and his Deplorables.

by Anonymousreply 50November 13, 2018 2:28 PM

Women of color are a critical Democratic voting bloc -- you cannot give them Beto instead of Harris or Klobuchar.

by Anonymousreply 51November 13, 2018 2:34 PM

Just because Obama won despite lack of experience does not mean anyone else could accomplish the same with similar lack of experience.

Obama is/was singularly exceptional. There will be no repeat.

by Anonymousreply 52November 13, 2018 2:53 PM

R51, Beto won 94% of the black female vote in Texas. Black women love him.

Kamala Harris is not black, she is half-Indian. Indians are largely rightwingers. She is married to a white man. If Barack Obama had been married to a white woman, he would never have been elected.

by Anonymousreply 53November 13, 2018 3:05 PM

Not sure Beto is that much of an asset in a Presidential race. Usually, the VP is needed to get his state to vote for the ticket.

Is Texas anywhere close to voting for a Dem Presidential candidate?

by Anonymousreply 54November 13, 2018 4:04 PM

Dems need a white man up top and a black woman for VP

by Anonymousreply 55November 13, 2018 4:05 PM

[quote] [R51], Beto won 94% of the black female vote in Texas. Black women love him.

No, that's not the pertinent statistic. The question is how much of the black female electorate voted? Black women will vote for the Democrat in big numbers. However, we need 80%+ of registered, eligible black females to vote, not just the 50% that votes when the choice is between two white dudes.

by Anonymousreply 56November 13, 2018 6:33 PM

R56 Beto's got the Horny Women's Vote.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57November 13, 2018 7:41 PM

Funny that Kamala Harris is getting pushed. She was AG in California (anybody who gets the Dem nom, wins) and only got to the Senate in 2017. She's Willie Brown's ex-gf and he's as corrupt as they come. She's got to have a shitload of skeletons in her closet.

by Anonymousreply 58November 13, 2018 8:31 PM

R58, you're the "Harris has skeletons and was Brown's mistress" person, right?

by Anonymousreply 59November 13, 2018 9:32 PM

I cannot believe people are still spouting that “If Beto couldn’t win Texas, he couldn’t win the presidency” line.

And as much as I like Klobuchar, she is not going to fire up Democrats or independents.

Harris’ appeal is roughly the same as Amy’s.

What world are you people living in?

by Anonymousreply 60November 13, 2018 9:43 PM

R59 nope - I hadn't heard that before. Somebody mentioned this on twitter and I looked on her Wikipedia page where it says she was Brown's gf. He's 30 years older than her and butt ugly. Does look suspicious. All I knew about her was she comes off bitchy and she joined up with Gillibrand to chase Franken out of the Senate.

by Anonymousreply 61November 13, 2018 9:57 PM

I find the complete dismissal of Gillibrand as a candidate interesting and gratifying. I recall at one point during her successful campaign to get Franken to resign a quiet realization that the act was unfair and I’d never vote for her. It seems I am not the only one with that experience.

by Anonymousreply 62November 13, 2018 10:44 PM

Gillibrand can go to hell. And Harris - no thanks. Klobuchar's the only woman I'd consider (and she was the only female Dem in the Senate who supported Franken).

by Anonymousreply 63November 13, 2018 10:46 PM

Sherrod Brown is on Chris Hayes now. No. Just no. Boring as shit.

by Anonymousreply 64November 14, 2018 12:31 AM

The presidential candidate needs to have:

Charisma

Uniqueness

Nerve &

Talent!!!

by Anonymousreply 65November 14, 2018 2:10 AM

Michelle Obama has said repeatedly she has no intention of ever running for president ( or anything else).

by Anonymousreply 66November 14, 2018 2:23 AM

r39, two women on a presidential ticket?

We want to win this thing, right?

by Anonymousreply 67November 14, 2018 2:27 AM

Klobuchar appears to have a lot of strengths. How's she viewed in CA & NY among major political donors and the entertainment community? I'd slot her for VP if she isn't sufficiently charismatic/compelling. Then pair her with a man from a very different sector of the USA.

Know that several entrepreneur's expressed that they were interested in competing for the "top prize?" There was an Asian man from NY. Would anyone on DL be considering a candidate from the private sector?

by Anonymousreply 68November 14, 2018 4:03 AM

If it's Bernie, I will stay home and not vote, because this country is over and there would be no point. He'd be as big a disaster as Trump, just in somewhat different ways.

I hope it's not Biden either.

by Anonymousreply 69November 14, 2018 1:56 PM

Anybody supporting Bernie is somebody who elected Trump President. Fuck ‘em to hell.

by Anonymousreply 70November 14, 2018 5:24 PM

John Hickenlooper, the outgoing Governor of Colorado, was on the shortlist for the 2016 VP slot. Pairing him with Amy Klobuchar would make for a strong "middle America" ticket. On the other hand, Hickenlooper-Klobuchar doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.

Along the same lines, I would love to see some of the Republicans who don't like Trump run a 3rd party candidacy that would siphon off votes in the general election. The ideal team would the former Senator from Maine and the outgoing Senator from Arizona so we could have a Snowe-Flake ticket.

by Anonymousreply 71November 14, 2018 5:52 PM

I say we run holograms. Martin Luther King and Eleanor Roosevelt.

by Anonymousreply 72November 14, 2018 6:12 PM

Holograms of long dead people would no doubt do a better job than the current pResident of the US.

by Anonymousreply 73November 14, 2018 10:31 PM

[quote] Klobuchar appears to have a lot of strengths. How's she viewed in CA & NY among major political donors and the entertainment community? I'd slot her for VP if she isn't sufficiently charismatic/compelling. Then pair her with a man from a very different sector of the USA.

She seemed meek at the Kavanaugh hearings. Kavanaugh NEVER would have made that remark to a more formidable figure (i.e. Kamala Harris). We need a female candidate who can engage in the fight. But that's just my impression. Californians know that Kamala can be a rhymes-with-itch and that's what we need. That's why her name has been so prominent in 2020 discussions.

by Anonymousreply 74November 15, 2018 3:31 AM

I like Beto for President and Klobuchar for Veep. Kamala's a bitch alright, also one with a Past (Willie Brown). She only got to the Senate in 2017 so she looks too cravenly ambitious like Ted Cruz who did the same thing. If white people wouldn't vote for Hillary, they sure as hell wouldn't vote for Kamala and she has nothing to attract Hispanics.

by Anonymousreply 75November 15, 2018 7:55 PM

Totally agree, R75.

by Anonymousreply 76November 15, 2018 9:16 PM

If Kamala Harris only arrived in the Senate last year, how the hell is she already running for President? She's already been travelling around Iowa.

Bitch is pulling an Avenatti, using Stacey Abrams to get money for herself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77November 15, 2018 10:08 PM

The notorious Beto sex tweet that went viral...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78November 15, 2018 10:56 PM

Beto is being weird.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79November 16, 2018 4:08 AM

Beto does seem to be signaling a run for the WH with his essay on Medium.com.

I love him, but I have to say I gagged a little reading the part about God.

by Anonymousreply 80November 16, 2018 4:13 AM

He needs to write a book. I can see the stacked towers of them, first day they're available, on a Costco pallet. All gone by close.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81November 16, 2018 4:30 AM

Interesting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82November 16, 2018 1:58 PM

I've said this once and I'll say this again democates do well when they have a young canidate jfk, Clinton, Obama young canidates always get the democratic tri out minorities, women and young people.

by Anonymousreply 83November 16, 2018 2:07 PM

Trying to inflict Kamala Harris on the populace ain't gonna work. She comes off like a snide bitch, has a shady past and won't get a single vote in flyover country. Easy way to hand another term to a psycho.

by Anonymousreply 84November 16, 2018 2:46 PM

No white men.

by Anonymousreply 85November 16, 2018 3:11 PM

Beto aint white right?

by Anonymousreply 86November 16, 2018 3:14 PM

Why, R85?

by Anonymousreply 87November 16, 2018 4:27 PM

[quote]Three of these include Beto. Can someone explain the fascination with this losing Senatorial candidate?

In 2018, Texas went from the lowest voter participation in the nation to the state with the highest voter participation in the nation, and that was all due to Beto. That statistic is mind-blowing. He changed everything in Texas.

There's no telling what he could do on a national stage that is even more open to hearing his message. If I were the Democratic nominee in 2020, I would literally beg him to be my running mate.

by Anonymousreply 88November 16, 2018 4:33 PM

So, who are the non-white men candidates? We've got Spartacus and Confirmed Bachelor as well as Big Pharma whore Booker, Harris whose shady as hell, Gillibrand who chased Franken out of the Senate, Julian Castro who was too shit scared to run for the Senate or Governor and for some reason thinks he'll be President. Who else? Deval Patrick? Give me a break. Eric Holder's the only one I consider serious but he's too polarizing with all those white racists out there - and the Dem nominee has to be able to get SOME of them to vote.

Don't count on Hispanics voting for black candidates either. They won't.

by Anonymousreply 89November 16, 2018 4:36 PM

I think the consensus is whoever the DL trolls like the least is the best candidate. Right now, Harris/Beto is looking like a winner!

by Anonymousreply 90November 16, 2018 5:46 PM

Not Harris, R90. I’m not a troll, and I can tell you that Kamala Harris is a disaster.

It has to be Beto.

by Anonymousreply 91November 16, 2018 6:01 PM

How many scandals has Harris been involved in?

by Anonymousreply 92November 16, 2018 10:41 PM

R90, I think you're right. Didn't think about it that way.

by Anonymousreply 93November 17, 2018 2:05 AM

Step by step...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94November 17, 2018 2:06 AM

Book next year...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95November 17, 2018 2:07 AM

R95 corrected link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96November 17, 2018 2:08 AM

Reaching out to a mass audience.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97November 17, 2018 2:10 AM

Women of the Year awards.

She needs to schedule lunch with Beto.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98November 17, 2018 2:11 AM

Iowa

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99November 17, 2018 2:13 AM

He's good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100November 17, 2018 2:20 AM

I like a Sherrod Brown/Kamala Harris ticket myself. Sherrod can get votes in the Midwest and Kamala can get votes in the South.

And, no, Kamala Harris' isn't shady--particularly compared to, say, Trump.

I know a lot of people are in love with Beto, but I need to be convinced he's not a lightweight.

by Anonymousreply 101November 17, 2018 2:23 AM

Biden is too old, too tainted, too centrist.

by Anonymousreply 102November 17, 2018 2:31 AM

Biden has a long record that can be carefully parsed. Dangerous.

by Anonymousreply 103November 17, 2018 2:31 AM

[quote] And, no, Kamala Harris' isn't shady--particularly compared to, say, Trump.

Compared to most. No one has been able to identify any aspect of her background that could be fairly characterized as "shady."

by Anonymousreply 104November 17, 2018 3:33 AM

Oh my...

CA governor-elect Gavin Newsom is a tall one, isn't he? He can tilt his head downward to glower at Dump. Maybe he's a 2020 contender.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105November 18, 2018 9:48 PM

Kamala Harris/Doug Jones

by Anonymousreply 106November 18, 2018 10:01 PM

[quote] Kamala Harris/Doug Jones

Who?

by Anonymousreply 107November 18, 2018 10:07 PM

I've got a feeling it's gonna be Joe Biden, not that I want him to be the nominee. And he'll take Beto O'Rourke as his running mate.

by Anonymousreply 108November 18, 2018 11:51 PM

If it's Biden, he will pick a female running mate. A woman MUST be on the democratic ticket. Preferably at the top.

by Anonymousreply 109November 18, 2018 11:54 PM

What about the Kennedy with the shiny chapstick who did the State of the Union rebuttal, what happened to him? Haven't heard a peep from him since. I don't really know anything about him just exploring all possibilities.

by Anonymousreply 110November 18, 2018 11:55 PM

Doug Jones is the recently elected moderate Senator from Alabama.

by Anonymousreply 111November 19, 2018 12:03 AM

I like Mitch Landrieu, from Louisiana. Heard him on a fairly tough radio interview and he was great, very personable and very sound on issues like Confederate memorials in New Orleans. Has a lot of energy

by Anonymousreply 112November 19, 2018 12:05 AM

Biden's the best known and has the early support, but I think there are better candidates for the long run. Biden makes gaffes and he's older than Trump.

I wish people would get behind Sherrod Brown--best bet for winning Midwest swing states and getting a chunk of the white guy vote. More experience than Beto O'Rourke--and given what a fuck-up Trump has made of the executive branch and international relations, we need that expertise. I think he and Kamala Harris would make a winning ticket. He's got the bona-fide populism and she has the identity politics. Both have brains and Kamala's seat is as safe as it gets.

by Anonymousreply 113November 19, 2018 12:14 AM

I've noticed on several threads that the Kamala Harris haters are becoming increasingly vocal and I was wondering if there were some legitimate critics and/or trolls, so I thought I'd do a little check of who is posting what. Just a single poster made the following anti-Kamala comments:

R53: Kamala Harris is not black, she is half-Indian. Indians are largely rightwingers. She is married to a white man. If Barack Obama had been married to a white woman, he would never have been elected. R58: Funny that Kamala Harris is getting pushed. She was AG in California (anybody who gets the Dem nom, wins) and only got to the Senate in 2017. She's Willie Brown's ex-gf and he's as corrupt as they come. She's got to have a shitload of skeletons in her closet. When R59 asks this R58 if they're the "Harris has skeletons and was Brown's mistress" person, right?, they reply in R61: nope - I hadn't heard that before. Somebody mentioned this on twitter and I looked on her Wikipedia page where it says she was Brown's gf. He's 30 years older than her and butt ugly. Does look suspicious. All I knew about her was she comes off bitchy and she joined up with Gillibrand to chase Franken out of the Senate. R75: Last Thursday at 5:31 AM I like Beto for President and Klobuchar for Veep. Kamala's a bitch alright, also one with a Past (Willie Brown). She only got to the Senate in 2017 so she looks too cravenly ambitious like Ted Cruz who did the same thing. If white people wouldn't vote for Hillary, they sure as hell wouldn't vote for Kamala and she has nothing to attract Hispanics. R77: If Kamala Harris only arrived in the Senate last year, how the hell is she already running for President? She's already been travelling around Iowa. Bitch is pulling an Avenatti, using Stacey Abrams to get money for herself. R84: Trying to inflict Kamala Harris on the populace ain't gonna work. She comes off like a snide bitch, has a shady past and won't get a single vote in flyover country. Easy way to hand another term to a psycho. R89: Harris whose shady as hell ... R92: How many scandals has Harris been involved in?

Why are you so obsessed with calling her 'shady' when you just 'casually' looked her up on wikipedia. Very suspicious to say the least!

by Anonymousreply 114November 19, 2018 12:38 PM

Biden adopted a rescue dog.

by Anonymousreply 115November 19, 2018 12:53 PM

[quote] Doug Jones is the recently elected moderate Senator from Alabama.

He needs to focus on holding his seat in 2020.

by Anonymousreply 116November 19, 2018 2:26 PM

Thank you, Lesbian Websleuths at r114. I figured all the anti-Harris noise was coming from one source.

by Anonymousreply 117November 19, 2018 2:28 PM

I think Biden is a great guy, but he doesn't look well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118November 19, 2018 4:27 PM

Would Beto's hit and run cost him? I mean, Bush was a cokehead.

by Anonymousreply 119November 19, 2018 4:33 PM

Democrats at least have a chance of winning Florida, Iowa and Ohio if they run a white male at the top of the ticket, but zero chance of winning any of those states if they run a woman. Did we learn nothing from Hillary?

I like Kamala, but she can not beat Trump. White voters in the midwest, including white women who would be inclined to vote for a Democrat, are wary of black women.

by Anonymousreply 120November 19, 2018 4:39 PM

The optimal (Electoral College vote yield) strategy might be a compromise between "safe" and "likely to energize new, young, and/or minority voters", e.g.,:

Caucasian male or female superstar for president, and non-Caucasian and/or female superstar for VP, or

Non-Caucasian male superstar for president and Caucasian male or female superstar for VP.

Where "superstar" means ... charismatic and likeable — and more likely than not, younger for a presidential candidate (under 60 years old).

It's like achieving health care reform: the most likely to succeed, if you're insisting on a leftward direction, is through gradual change, keeping certain elements familiar while introducing the new in "acceptable" (comprehensible, digestible) increments. E.g., phased-in public option before phased-in single payer, before phased-in NHS.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121November 19, 2018 4:56 PM

Today

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122November 19, 2018 6:53 PM

Waiting

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123November 19, 2018 6:56 PM

Biden/Beto

by Anonymousreply 124November 20, 2018 1:28 AM

nope none of those, the top of the ticket will be calif congressman eric swalwell

by Anonymousreply 125November 20, 2018 2:54 AM

R125 = Eric Swalwell's mother

by Anonymousreply 126November 20, 2018 2:55 AM

No Biden.

by Anonymousreply 127November 20, 2018 3:02 AM

At first I wanted Biden, but after thinking about it long and hard, I have decided he's just more of the same ole same ole. He will not energize minorities or young people. He was absolutely wore out from campaigning for candidates in this mid-term, I think his time has passed him by. He probably should have run in 2016. When I think of the democratic field and consider who is young, inspiring, will be able to campaign their tail off, and won't take anything for granted that only points me in one direction.... Beto O-Rourke. If he admits that he made some mistakes in his youth, alluded to above, and owns it he will be fine. I do feel he needs an experienced running mate and that is where someone like an Amy Klobuchar or Tom Vilsack or someone of the sort could help him. I don't think Sherrod Brown is inspiring enough and Ohio is trending red thus his senate seat would be at risk... heck that seat if lost could cost Dem's control of the Senate.

by Anonymousreply 128November 20, 2018 7:50 AM

Do you think Beto experimented with guys while attending Columbia? After crew practice, behind the boathouse... Yum.

by Anonymousreply 129November 20, 2018 6:23 PM

Has Martin Heinrich of New Mexico expressed any interest in running for president?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130November 20, 2018 6:48 PM

Not that I’ve ever seen, R130.

R128 knows what’s up. I can’t believe people are so sure Biden is the one. Anyone insisting it won’t be Beto is just letting their preferences/unfounded skepticism get in the way. If he wants to run, he will win the nomination.

by Anonymousreply 131November 20, 2018 7:22 PM

Biden looks very washed out and tired. He deserves a rest. He served the nation and did his best. I'm happy he adopted a dog recently.

by Anonymousreply 132November 20, 2018 7:31 PM

The big Dem donors want Beto. They'll draft him.

I like him a lot, but I hope he triangulates on immigration.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133November 20, 2018 7:33 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134November 20, 2018 7:41 PM

I hope so too, R133.

by Anonymousreply 135November 20, 2018 9:16 PM

Typical bloggy bullshit from NY mag ^^^^

by Anonymousreply 136November 20, 2018 9:16 PM

[quote]Willie Brown

Gavin Newsom got his start by resting his legs on Willie's shoulders. None the less R75, the only bitch here is you.

by Anonymousreply 137November 20, 2018 9:43 PM

Interestingly, Beto and Elizabeth Warren joined forces to demand the Department of Defense give them information about why Trump was allowed to move forces to the border for no reason and where those forces came from.

by Anonymousreply 138November 21, 2018 1:12 AM

Have you seen Biden speak in the last year? He's aged considerably since leaving the WH. He looks old and feeble now like Bill Clinton. I doubt he has the stamina to endure a 2-year campaign, or serve if elected. Bernie Sanders has also aged a lot since 2016.

In the modern age, you get one good shot at running for president and that's it. After you run and lose, the hype is gone. Just look at the difference in Hillary's campaigns from 2008 to 2016. It was like two different candidates. She had none of the youthful energy or charisma that she had the first time she ran. Biden and Sanders would be no different.

by Anonymousreply 139November 21, 2018 1:22 AM

I think both Biden and Bernie are mainly being pushed by their very pushy, much younger wives.

by Anonymousreply 140November 21, 2018 1:43 AM

Avenatti on a ticket otherwise not interested.

by Anonymousreply 141November 21, 2018 2:04 AM

Oh for crying out loud, R41. No one wants him.

by Anonymousreply 142November 21, 2018 2:13 AM

I am not even remotely interested in any ticket with that asshole Avenatti on the ticket.

by Anonymousreply 143November 21, 2018 2:18 AM

Avenatti would be a disaster.

by Anonymousreply 144November 21, 2018 5:17 PM

All of you that are insisting on a white man at the top of the ticket will be sad the day after when you find that POC stayed home. 2016 showed us what happens when the diverse electorate -- the Obama electorate -- stays home. Times are rapidly changing. FL almost elected a black governor -- FLORIDA! -- he lost by just 0.41% of the votes. It matters who the candidates are when the current administration is all about identity politics.

Beto trailed Cruz by 2.5%. That's the same margin Trump will win in the popular vote if he faces Beto.

by Anonymousreply 145November 21, 2018 5:31 PM

R145 - nope - Trump only won Texas by 9% with voter turnout below 50%. In Texas, it's rightwingers who ALWAYS show up at the polls. Moderates and Dems tend to think it doesn't matter, GOP will win Texas anyway and don't bother. At Cruz's last election, he won by 17%. Beto got the millennials to the polls. It wasn't even the notoriously unresponsive Hispanic vote in Texas that increased that much. Then again, Trump ordered the army to occupy the Rio Grande Valley, the bluest region in Texas, no doubt to intimidate voters.

Obama gets interviewed by Axelrod in his podcast this week. Axelrod asks Obama about Betomania and Obama is very flattering, even comparing Beto to himself. Interestingly, Obama doesn't mention the names of any other possible 2020 candidates.

The 2020 election will hinge on who can get millennials off their asses and to the polls.

by Anonymousreply 146November 21, 2018 5:45 PM

R146 is correct. R145, there isn’t a single colored candidate who has the Democratic base and independents fired up at the moment. Perhaps one will emerge, but for now, Beto is the frontrunner if he wants to be.

Black and Hispanic people would hear Beto’s compassionate, inclusive message and want to vote for him, just like they liked Bill Clinton. They WILL come out to vote against Trump.

by Anonymousreply 147November 21, 2018 11:08 PM

Beto/Booker

by Anonymousreply 148November 21, 2018 11:33 PM

Booker/Beto

Harris/Beto

Booker/Harris

by Anonymousreply 149November 21, 2018 11:41 PM

The first female VP nominee didn't win.

The first female POTUS nominee didn't win.

Maybe the next female VP can win.

by Anonymousreply 150November 21, 2018 11:42 PM

Beto's charismatic, but he strikes me as a bit of a lightweight and it's problematic that he's coming off a big loss. People like voting for people they perceive as winners. But maybe that will change if he racks up some early primaries.

I think Kamala Harris is a better bet than either Booker or Patrick, but for the VP slot.

There's more than one path to the presidency for Democrats--the Obama route depends on a really high black vote and, thus, turning some of the marginal southern states. Another route, however, is reducing the white male GOP margin and picking up PA, MI and WI, possibly Iowa, while holding onto Nevada and Colorado.

by Anonymousreply 151November 22, 2018 12:04 AM

Harris/Booker

by Anonymousreply 152November 22, 2018 12:10 AM

Beto/Stacey Abrams (I love them both)

by Anonymousreply 153November 22, 2018 12:18 AM

It is sad that the most exciting Democrats lost their races: Beto - Stacey and Gillum. MSNBC keeps putting on Swalwell and Merkley who both want to run and they are boring as shit.

by Anonymousreply 154November 22, 2018 12:55 AM

Damn, I forgot Sherrod Brown. He's on MSNBC every 10 minutes and my eyes glaze over. I'm going to generalize here. I think the Southern Dems are much gutsier than the Northern Dems. It's hard being a minority party for decades and they have to fight harder. So what they pulled off is that much more impressive.

by Anonymousreply 155November 22, 2018 12:57 AM

R153, that's my favorite but I just wish they'd won their races. A very progressive ticket, would need to moderate slightly. Also, any foreign affairs experience?

by Anonymousreply 156November 22, 2018 1:35 AM

[quote]It is sad that the most exciting Democrats lost their races: Beto - Stacey and Gillum.

Well, put "lost" in quotes... it's pretty much a given that the elections were stolen from all of them.

by Anonymousreply 157November 22, 2018 2:45 AM

[quote] Black and Hispanic people would hear Beto’s compassionate, inclusive message and want to vote for him, just like they liked Bill Clinton. They WILL come out to vote against Trump.

HRC was the first white presidential candidate to use the term "structural racism" and meaningfully discuss white privilege and institutional racism. Her message was compassionate and inclusive but people of color didn't race to the polls in MI, WI and PA to vote for her. Bill Clinton's appeal to black voters has been exaggerated -- and it was dwarfed by their enthusiasm for Obama.

by Anonymousreply 158November 22, 2018 3:15 AM

And their distaste for TRUMP, R158, is what drove them to vote overwhelmingly Democratic ticket two weeks ago. I imagine that will happen again in 2020, and it won’t require a minority candidate.

But we’ll see.

by Anonymousreply 159November 22, 2018 3:23 AM

r109, yes by all means, let's put another woman at the top of the Democratic ticket in 2020 right after the Hillary Debacle of 2016. That's a genius move, especially if that woman is the sure to be polarizing Kamala Harris.

No woman at the top of the ticket. VP only for 2020.

by Anonymousreply 160November 22, 2018 2:19 PM

r147, colored? What is this, 1960?

by Anonymousreply 161November 22, 2018 3:01 PM

Beto! That’s all we need!! Seriously we need charisma and youth!!

by Anonymousreply 162November 22, 2018 3:08 PM

I have my doubts about any woman opposing Trump in the debates. Hillary won every debate but he managed to bully her in each one which played well to all the self-loathing women and women-hating men out there. It still shocks me that a majority of white women voted for Trump.

by Anonymousreply 163November 22, 2018 3:18 PM

[quote] [R147], colored? What is this, 1960?

Yeah, I tried to ignore that part.

by Anonymousreply 164November 22, 2018 4:28 PM

r163: Even though HRC won the popular vote in 2016 (I voted for her), she was not well-liked--she had an air of superiority and was not comfortable speaking to crowds (much more likable in the few one-to-one interviews I saw). I think Kamala Harris has a similarly unlikable, sort of angry quality plus she has a very nasal, unpleasant voice. I just don't see her on the ticket. She may be black and "Asian" (Indian) and female, but I don't see her as any better than Hillary at vote getting (and far less accomplished and experienced of course). I think two white men is better than an unlikable woman (and I'm a woman BTW). I love Elizabeth Warren, but I think she's too old and too far left, but if she is on the ticket, I would certainly vote for her. I would vote for Harris too, but would prefer any other Democratic woman (except Gillibrand). And Stacey Abrams I adore, if she could be the VP. Too me she's got it all--intelligence, accomplishment, charisma, POC. I think she's the best woman political prospect in years. I don't care that she was cheated out of her senate seat by that POS Kemp--makes her more available for 2020.

by Anonymousreply 165November 22, 2018 7:10 PM

So, who has the best shot R165?

by Anonymousreply 166November 22, 2018 7:25 PM

[quote]Even though HRC won the popular vote in 2016 (I voted for her), she was not well-liked

I'm really sick and tired of this sexist, blatantly false talking point.

Hillary Clinton has NEVER lost the popular vote in ANY election she's EVER run in. She's been voted the Most Admired Woman In The World 22 times, 16 times in a row, blowing away anyone else. She had a completely sold-out book tour. She got more votes than any white male to ever run for President (being eclipsed only by Obama in 2008... but not 2012).

This is NOT something you'd expect of someone who "isn't well liked". Please. Stop. You're just mindlessly parroting the RWNJ/RussianBot attacks on her, making you part of the problem.

by Anonymousreply 167November 22, 2018 8:30 PM

R167 I was surprised during the campaign that shitloads of people on social media who identified as BernieBros hated Hillary with a passion. They coughed up neocon talking points from the 90s. I wondered if maybe they were the kids of rightwingers, reacting against their parents but still adopting their Hillary hatred or fake leftist bots, trolling Hillary from the left and the right.

by Anonymousreply 168November 22, 2018 10:35 PM

[quote] Hillary Clinton has NEVER lost the popular vote in ANY election she's EVER run in.

Just a little suggestion: In 2020, can we maybe try to nominate a candidate who can also win the electoral vote? Please? Or is that too much to ask for?

by Anonymousreply 169November 22, 2018 10:43 PM

She did, R169. The Russians & Republicans stole enough votes to gives Trump a razor thin 78k vote advantage spread across three states. It's really clear that GOP voter suppression, hacking, and propaganda "won" the electoral college.... by the thinnest of margins. With help from idiots voting 3rd party.

by Anonymousreply 170November 22, 2018 11:31 PM

[quote] The Russians & Republicans stole enough votes to gives Trump a razor thin 78k vote advantage spread across three states.

Well, then we need to nominate a candidate who can win by a large enough margin to overcome the inevitable voter suppression and GOP dirty tricks.

by Anonymousreply 171November 22, 2018 11:42 PM

I don't know, but I hope it's a Gen X Dem president. We're overdue and the millennials are now entering politics and breathing down our neck.

by Anonymousreply 172November 23, 2018 2:32 PM

[quote] I think two white men is better than an unlikable woman (and I'm a woman BTW).

It's true...women are very hard on each other. They will say they're voting for the female candidate and then vote for the man.

by Anonymousreply 173November 23, 2018 2:54 PM

[quote] With help from idiots voting 3rd party.

How can we keep these idiots from voting -- and marginalize their candidates?

by Anonymousreply 174November 23, 2018 2:55 PM

r172, Gen-Xer's could just be ultimately shut out in terms of presidential history. It's not like that has never happened before.

by Anonymousreply 175November 24, 2018 3:01 PM

Sorry, I guess I should have said “candidate of color”, which is completely different.

And no, it’s not “African-American”, “person of color” does not refer solely to black Americans of African heritage.

by Anonymousreply 176November 24, 2018 9:21 PM

Beto just held a Town Hall for his constituents in El Paso. Amazing the questions he gets asked on such an array of topics - the farm bill? civilian deaths in Syria, ad infinium - and he always seems very well informed about everything. My Congressman has never held a single Town Hall and Beto's held them every month.

He got asked by a couple of people about running for President. He finally said he's just going to finish his term out and spend time with his family and he and his wife will talk about any future plans in January.

He's running.

by Anonymousreply 177November 26, 2018 7:46 PM

Hillary Clinton/Robert Mueller

Unity ticket.

by Anonymousreply 178November 26, 2018 8:12 PM

I think Michael Moore may be right. The top of the ticket has to be someone not a politician. A politician will lose to Trump.

by Anonymousreply 179November 26, 2018 8:30 PM

No way. No more celebrities. No more billionaires whose personal finances will keep getting mixed up in politics.

by Anonymousreply 180November 26, 2018 9:20 PM

Okay, I like Michael Moore, but FUCK THAT. Beto is running, it sounds like, and he’s got the nomination. 100%. Anyone want to place a bet against me?

by Anonymousreply 181November 26, 2018 9:27 PM

[quote]Just a little suggestion: In 2020, can we maybe try to nominate a candidate who can also win the electoral vote? Please? Or is that too much to ask for?

R169 =Donald Trump

Sorry Cheeto. Getting the Russians to hack the election doesn't equate to winning the electoral college, let alone the election.

Donald never won the presidency.

by Anonymousreply 182November 26, 2018 9:39 PM

r178, no Hillary Clinton in any way, shape or form. Sorry, I voted for her in 2016, but I never want to see her on a presidential ticket again, she's way too divisive.

We need to WIN in 2020.

by Anonymousreply 183November 27, 2018 1:51 AM

On Facebook Beto was cooking dinner this evening with his daughter. Chicken Piccata with caper sauce. Looked good. 12,000 people were watching him. This is insane.

by Anonymousreply 184November 27, 2018 2:28 AM

Ted Lieu cannot even be a VP, is that correct? I would kill to see him as a VP.

Beto/Gillem

Beto/Abrams

Why the fuck not?

by Anonymousreply 185November 27, 2018 3:54 AM

Lieu was born in Taiwan to non-US citizen parents so he's out of the running.

by Anonymousreply 186November 27, 2018 3:56 AM

Oh and how could I forget? Beto and Holder. Out of all the Beto combos, the Holder one is strongest because Holder’s age and experience help balance Beto (just a perception thing, as I’m very satisfied with Beto’s experience, just thinking of the average voter). Plus Holder doesn’t have the losses that Gillem and Abrams have which games be Repugs a lot of ammo. Beto and Holder could kick ass.

by Anonymousreply 187November 27, 2018 4:02 AM

I'm for Beto as Prez and he needs either a black man or a woman as Veep. I'm thinking Amy Klobuchar. She doesn't have the personality to be President but she'd be great as Veep. Holder would be good too though he tends to put his foot in his mouth.

by Anonymousreply 188November 27, 2018 4:08 AM

Jerry Springer/Susan Sarandon

by Anonymousreply 189November 27, 2018 4:10 AM

Well the BernieBros are going nuts about Beto entering the race. It was to be their Bernie. And Kamala Harris' acolytes are going nuts: it has to be a black woman.

This is going to be fun.

by Anonymousreply 190November 27, 2018 7:42 PM

One thing to keep in mind is that the electorate has changed. If there were a presidential held here tomorrow, Trump would have a very hard time. He is not popular by any stretch of the imagination. I used to like Cory Booker a lot when he first came on the scene, but after a lot more exposure to him I don't care for him at all at this point. I think he's phony. He's gay, but in order to throw people off he lies and says that he hated gay people when he was in college. He thinks he's the next Obama, he's not. I was a Bernie supporter last time, and I switched to Clinton when she won the nomination, and I voted for her. I do not want Bernie to be our nominee this time. I'm conflicted on Biden, I have enormous respect and admiration for him, and I disagree with the idea that he couldn't win, he could, but I'm not sure if he would be a great president. Right now I think that we really need a great president. I personally like Kamala Harris and I do feel that she could potentially be a great president but the bitchy thing is there with her and I'm gun shy about that since it's one of the things that cost Clinton the win. Michael Bloomberg is likely going to run as well, and I think he could be a great president as well. One person that I feel confident enough to make a prediction about is Beto. I live in Texas, so I just witnessed his campaign. It's been a long time since I've seen a candidate work that hard and pour everything that they have into a campaign like he did. He is ginuine and emensly likable. He is VERY Kennedy-esk, and do you think that people won't clamor for that after what we're going through now and the feeling of shame that goes with it? Today is the first time that it sounds like he's made the decision to run, and if he does he'll be one of the last two standing, and I feel that we'll be looking at our next president, Beto O'Rourke. Call me crazy.

by Anonymousreply 191November 27, 2018 9:53 PM

I pretty much agree with everything you say r191, although I would add that Booker also has another problem; unless he plans to marry a woman in the next few years, there's no way a single man (with gay rumors) is going to get the nomination in 2020.

And yes Beto is probably our best bet. It could be HIS time, I just hope he sees it that way as well.

by Anonymousreply 192November 28, 2018 12:36 AM

Had Hillary not ignored the Midwest, she would be sitting in the White House today. She did, so she lost. So, fuck her.

by Anonymousreply 193November 28, 2018 1:45 AM

No, R193. You're so sexist you're desperate to cling to that lie, just so you can irrationally bash her. And it makes you sound stupid and ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 194November 28, 2018 2:56 AM

Any strong assertive woman gets the "bitchy thing" by default. Same qualities in a man read as winner. Go figure.

[quote]it's problematic that he's coming off a big loss

Can we get off autopilot? It was three fucking per cent, in Texas. He'd have carried any blue or purplish state by a landslide.

I like Sherrod Brown but sorry, he needs to stay put in the Senate until OH gets its act together.

Beto and someone like Holder can work. Though the Rethugs will come down on Holder so the Dem ticket should be ready with the brass knuckles on, in addition to being inspirational. And get the Obamas to campaign.

Beto has the energy to crisscross the Union, and the town hall style campaigning for wide appeal.

But whoever ends up the Dem choice, especially if it's Beto with the Bobby Kennedy parallels - they should seriously beef up security. You never know what some 2nd Amdmt deplorable madman may decide to do.

by Anonymousreply 195November 28, 2018 3:02 AM

Beto should be a VP candidate. Let him gain experience.

Booker/Beto.

by Anonymousreply 196November 28, 2018 3:06 AM

R196, read R191 and R192, for fuck’s sake. Do you have them blocked?

by Anonymousreply 197November 28, 2018 3:32 AM

Some online polls today + Brit bookmakers all have Beto leading the race ahead of Biden.

More and more of Obama's staffers are coming out in support of Beto. Odd that they are giving the cold shoulder to two black candidates - Kamala and Booker not to mention Obama's VP Biden.

TMZ followed Beto around the DC airport asking him questions. They asked him if he ever dreamed of becoming President. He said he dreamed of joining the Beatles. They asked him about Obama's flattering comments about him and Beto said he was honored that the President would even take notice of him. Aww, shucks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198November 28, 2018 2:26 PM

Why is it “odd” that Obama’s staffers are giving the cold shoulder to Kamala, Cory, and Joe? Beto is clearly the frontrunner.

by Anonymousreply 199November 28, 2018 4:58 PM

It's not about what color the ticket it.

It's about who emerges as front runner or outright consensus from the primaries. If primary voters want to vote on color, they will.

by Anonymousreply 200November 28, 2018 5:31 PM

[quote] Can we get off autopilot? It was three fucking per cent, in Texas. He'd have carried any blue or purplish state by a landslide.

He lost to TED CRUZ. The most reviled member of the U.S. Senate. Despised by his party, his colleagues and most Texans. It is not insignificant that he lost to a candidate who is a loser, except that he won.

by Anonymousreply 201November 28, 2018 5:40 PM

R201, you have no business talking about politics. You know nothing, if you keep saying “But he lost to TED CRUZ!” without taking into account how red Texas is and how close Beto came... you just don’t get it. How many times does this have to be explained?

by Anonymousreply 202November 28, 2018 5:42 PM

If it's Beto, he'd better have a person of color at his side. And if losers can now be winners, it should be Andrew Gillum rather than Eric Holder. If not Gillum, it should be Harris.

by Anonymousreply 203November 28, 2018 5:43 PM

Whatever you say, r202.

by Anonymousreply 204November 28, 2018 5:44 PM

R201, if Cruz were the most hated among Texan Rethugs as you suggest, why was he their candidate for Senate again? Surely he'd have been primaried into oblivion if he was indeed so universally hated.

And how about providing some numbers to prove how immensely important the feelings of the US Senate are for elections in the state of Texas.

by Anonymousreply 205November 28, 2018 6:19 PM

R205, I think Cruz has the backing of unlimited PAC money. The vast bulk of his campaign financing came from PAC spending, whereas Beto only took individual citizens' donations. Also, indeed, he's not universally hated in Texas — blood-red conservatives, who comprise the plurality of registered voters — are fine with him.

by Anonymousreply 206November 28, 2018 6:22 PM

Yes, R206. My point was that R201 was spouting talking points.

Even if we assume a fact that Cruz is "the most hated in US Senate", give us proof that it directly translates into GOP "hate" and a no vote in Texas. Obviously, it doesn't so the feelings in DC, aka The Swamp, aren't relevant in Trump country.

by Anonymousreply 207November 28, 2018 6:45 PM

If Beto gets the nom, I've got a feeling he'll name Hakeem Jeffries VP. They're close friends and both of them have sounded off about how House Dems can't get anywhere until they're 75. Lot of talent in the House, more than in the Senate in fact. Blue state Senators are mainly boring as shit.

by Anonymousreply 208November 28, 2018 8:41 PM

John Kerry told CNN he is thinking about running for President again. Guess all the 75 year olds are feeling sprightly.

by Anonymousreply 209November 28, 2018 8:45 PM

Beto has charisma like Obama had in 2008. He will generate youth voters to come out and support him. He's like a rock star.

by Anonymousreply 210November 28, 2018 10:29 PM

There would be a sharp contrast between the youthful, energetic Beto and the old fat orangutan. Beto would just blow him away. I can't wait to see Jeanine Pirro's head explode. They'll have to put her in a straight jacket and haul her away. Her venom will consume her.

by Anonymousreply 211November 28, 2018 10:37 PM

Yep, let the fear and loathing begin on the right.

by Anonymousreply 212November 28, 2018 11:01 PM

R203 I know it's early, but those two choices for VP sound like winners to me. I have a hard time imagining him picking another white guy.

by Anonymousreply 213November 28, 2018 11:05 PM

r203, how about Abrams that woman who almost won the governorship in Georgia?

by Anonymousreply 214November 28, 2018 11:30 PM

R214 If she isn't on the ticket, then she needs to run against Sonny Perdue for GA Senate.

by Anonymousreply 215November 28, 2018 11:32 PM

Beto/Stacey

by Anonymousreply 216November 28, 2018 11:53 PM

Gillum and Abrams are both stars. I love her and would vote for her in a heartbeat. However, I am gay and superficial, so I am always going to go for the hot guy over the plain girl. So I would much prefer a Beto/Gillum ticket over Beto/Abrams.

by Anonymousreply 217November 29, 2018 1:42 AM

[quote]If Beto gets the nom, I've got a feeling he'll name Hakeem Jeffries VP

Why, to court the NY State electoral votes?

If Beto gets the nom, the strategic choice is a mid-westerner who has pull there.

by Anonymousreply 218November 29, 2018 1:48 AM

Agreed, R218.

by Anonymousreply 219November 29, 2018 1:52 AM

I can see it.

by Anonymousreply 220November 29, 2018 2:17 AM

R218 who's a midwesterner who has pull?

Cory Booker finally complained on twitter about Trump tear-gassing the migrants. Then he got attacked by a couple of journalists who pointed out the manufacturer of tear gas is one of Booker's biggest donors.

by Anonymousreply 221November 29, 2018 4:48 AM

Not a fan of Booker but this is a stupid "gotcha".

The government is gassing migrants, not the manufacturers.

by Anonymousreply 222November 29, 2018 5:31 AM

There are so many reasons to not be a Booker fan, and I was one previously.

by Anonymousreply 223November 29, 2018 6:45 AM

What about Andrew Cuomo? I like his policies and he gets things done

by Anonymousreply 224November 29, 2018 7:19 AM

He announced he isn’t running, just the other day, R224.

by Anonymousreply 225November 29, 2018 7:21 AM

Cuomo was going to be a hard pass from me.

by Anonymousreply 226November 29, 2018 7:31 AM

I could name who I *want* to run. But in the end, I'm a yellow dog Democrat; whoever goes up against the Republican nominee, I'm voting for them.

by Anonymousreply 227November 29, 2018 1:52 PM

Such as, R223?

Compared to ANY Republican, he's pure gold.

by Anonymousreply 228November 29, 2018 2:55 PM

There are a couple of PACs that have started Draft Beto fundraisers. Problem is Beto has not taken PAC money. Don't know if he'll have to forgo his principles. He fundraised $100 million to run in Texas but he might not get enough from small donors for a whole US campaign.

by Anonymousreply 229November 29, 2018 4:58 PM

Julian Castro was on Morning Joe this morning. He's doing all the news shows to discuss how he is going to run for President. He was too scared to run for the Senate from Texas or Governor or any other statewide office, but now he's running for President. Just a tad arrogant for Joaquin's less interesting twin.

by Anonymousreply 230November 29, 2018 5:00 PM

[quote] He fundraised $100 million to run in Texas but he might not get enough from small donors for a whole US campaign.

He will. No Democrat will have trouble getting funding from small donors in 2020.

by Anonymousreply 231November 30, 2018 12:15 AM

R231 True that. The money spigot will be open and going full tilt. This will make repubs sad again. It's something that they can't fuck up for us.

by Anonymousreply 232November 30, 2018 12:45 AM

Trump is a shoo-in for the next presidency whether anyone likes it or not. Americans like him, period.

Whoever the dems run will look like a beta male, so they have to run a woman if they have ANY fucking chance, which they dont.

by Anonymousreply 233November 30, 2018 9:54 PM

Beto's 6'5", athletic and brings to mind both Jimmy Stewart and Gregory Peck. He'll tower over Trump and intimidate the shit out of him. Beto's also extremely intelligent, likeable and charismatic and a brilliant speaker.

by Anonymousreply 234November 30, 2018 10:20 PM

Any reason not to block r233?

by Anonymousreply 235November 30, 2018 10:27 PM

Well, he's either a troll or a pig-ignorant neo-Nazi moron, so yeah, he should be blocked.

by Anonymousreply 236November 30, 2018 10:43 PM

Currently 58% DON'T like Trump.

by Anonymousreply 237December 1, 2018 6:00 AM

R237 There are so many Russian bots on social media, they always make it look like he's the most popular politician ever.

by Anonymousreply 238December 1, 2018 3:28 PM

Avenatti bowing out now. That's good.

by Anonymousreply 239December 4, 2018 9:00 PM

R233 = blocked

by Anonymousreply 240December 4, 2018 9:01 PM

Biden will lose. Badly. DL is just out of touch on this.

Intense dislike of Biden is the only thing that unites the Bernie wing and the mainstream of the Dem party. They will team up to block him

by Anonymousreply 241December 4, 2018 9:02 PM

Dreary

by Anonymousreply 242December 4, 2018 9:06 PM

Biden is not the most popular name in a large Democratic Facebook group I’m in. There are tens of thousands of people in this group. There was a poll today: Beto was #1, Harris #2, Biden #3.

by Anonymousreply 243December 4, 2018 9:44 PM

These are all horrible choices and will be destroyed in a legitimate election. We needed better for 2020, but all people want to do is bitch about trump rather than having a game plan.

by Anonymousreply 244December 4, 2018 9:47 PM

[quote] These are all horrible choices

If every name on that list is a horrible choice to you, you're a troll. Not a democrat

by Anonymousreply 245December 4, 2018 9:51 PM

r245 they are all horrible choices because they are out of touch with America and too far left. Regardless of mine and yours personal beliefs(what ever they may be), too many people are moderates and hate to see the party go this far left and have nothing to say besides being anti trump. I see so many people fed up with it everywhere I go and I live in a pretty liberal neighborhood. Probably not a popular thing to say on here, but people need to think about the whole picture rather than a small gay website.

by Anonymousreply 246December 4, 2018 9:59 PM

[quote]they are all horrible choices because they are out of touch with America and too far left.

R246, no that's not it.

by Anonymousreply 247December 4, 2018 10:00 PM

Ya again, no one but a troll would label Biden or Lamb as too far left. That's nonsensical

by Anonymousreply 248December 4, 2018 10:04 PM

Biden's too old and goofy. Sanders is WAY too old and goofy. It'll be Beto. All the women will cancel each other out and all the polls so far have Biden, Bernie and Beto as 1, 2, 3.

by Anonymousreply 249December 4, 2018 11:27 PM

What is the appeal of Harris? I look at her and all I see is another Hillary with about the same appeal in the mid-west as the first one; in other words, we lose again. Why are so many still trying to push her?

And before I got accused of bashing Hillary I did vote for her in 2016.

by Anonymousreply 250December 5, 2018 12:28 AM

Harris has got too many skeletons in her closet.

by Anonymousreply 251December 5, 2018 2:34 AM

No one has been able to articulate Kamala’s appeal in a convincing way. She’s “tough” (not good), “charismatic and friendly” (really?!) and a Senator. That’s all I’ve heard.

by Anonymousreply 252December 5, 2018 2:41 AM

Beto met with Obama on November 16.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 253December 5, 2018 3:04 AM

Kamala Harris was an Attorney General. She will appeal to Law and Order voters who right now lean heavily GOP. Democrats won national vote last month mainly based on the suburbs. She is the candidate who would most appeal to that group.

Also unlike Hillary, Kamala could unify the Dem party which is also critical for winning. Liberals in WI who didn't like Hillary was the reason she lost that state. Trump got less votes than Mitt Romney.

by Anonymousreply 254December 5, 2018 1:26 PM

Harris is smart, cunning and a fighter. HRC really held back in 2016 to counter the (not entirely fair) impression that she was a ruthless, cold-hearted bitch. She morphed into a human-like, grandmother who was above all the Trump nonsense -- and unfortunately couldn't be bothered to campaign effectively in OH, PA or MI. We'll get none of that foolishness from Harris.

Harris has already shown that she is tough and smart. Anyone who claims not to see it is not paying attention or willfully blind, or just disturbed by the optics of a black/mixed race woman. She will be loved by most for the same reason she is despised by others. Prior to the 2008 primary, Obama had less name recognition than Harris does today.

As for skeletons in the closet, I think Trump has torpedoed any requirement of morality, ethics or decency. Harris is an unblemished, virginal, choir girl compared to Drumpf.

by Anonymousreply 255December 5, 2018 2:46 PM

"I think Trump has torpedoed" LOL! Hypocrisy, thy name is the Republican Party and fundies. Trump's behavior certainly didn't torpedo using Monica Lewinsky against Hillary.

by Anonymousreply 256December 5, 2018 5:02 PM

Sorry r255, Kamala Harris will be just too polarizing for the country in 2020. So soon after 2016, we need to play it safe and go with a male, preferably a white male on the top of the ticket.

Of course all this will be decided in the primaries by the voters. The voters may go for Harris in a big way and make her the nominee; of course we should then throw our full weight behind her or whoever our eventually nominee is.

But I can't lie, I'm personally pulling for Beto.

by Anonymousreply 257December 6, 2018 3:50 PM

I'm for Beto too. I think he can pull it off. He's got the charisma Bill C and Obama had when they ran and he's an exciting public speaker like they were. He makes everybody else look like an automated politician.

Obama's overt support should tell Joe B he's too old and not going anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 258December 6, 2018 5:27 PM

Beto fan here--contributed to him in Texas several times. If he has Davids Axelrod and Plouffe, et al behind him (and Obama, who visited him last week), I think he has a great chance. Maybe Klobuchar as a running mate (although I would love to see Stacey Abrams, but maybe she's not exalted enough in status). MN's governor is a Democrat, so she will not give up a Dem senate seat.

by Anonymousreply 259December 6, 2018 5:43 PM

R259, Harris would have to be the running mate. No color on the ticket will be a repeat of Clinton/Kaine's loss in 2016. Harris is a winner. Even Gillum and Abrams ran closer races than Beto.

by Anonymousreply 260December 6, 2018 7:56 PM

Bernie Sanders doesn't stand a chance if Beto runs. All those college kids who supported him in 2016 are going to vote for Beto. If he can't win young voters, or black voters, he has no path to victory.

by Anonymousreply 261December 6, 2018 8:17 PM

Gillum/Beto. Gillum at the top of the ticket.

by Anonymousreply 262December 6, 2018 8:18 PM

Gillum at the top of the ticket is delusional. We already know he loses an important swing state

by Anonymousreply 263December 6, 2018 8:19 PM

I tell ya if Beto gets the nom, he'll choose Hakeem Jeffries as his VP - they're big buddies and Jeffries is a good-looking youngish black guy. I'm gonna put money on that at Paddy Power.

by Anonymousreply 264December 6, 2018 10:25 PM

Youngish black guy? Hakeem Jeffries will be 50 in 2020, older than Beto.

Still, the combo might work.

by Anonymousreply 265December 6, 2018 10:48 PM

The successful candidate in 2020 will not be due to demographics or, god help us, "charisma". The successful candidate will be the person who can articulate a message that appeals to the anger and angst of Trump voters. Something more engaging than "Trump is bad". Trump won because of his message, not because of his demographic or charisma.

by Anonymousreply 266December 6, 2018 11:09 PM

No, R266... Trump won because of misogyny and racism.

by Anonymousreply 267December 6, 2018 11:11 PM

oh bullshit r266, our candidate in 2020 will not be tailoring their message to appeal to the racists and sexists who put Trump in the White House.

Exactly r267.

by Anonymousreply 268December 6, 2018 11:13 PM

Biden/Beto

BITO!

by Anonymousreply 269December 6, 2018 11:17 PM

Trump also won because people assumed he wouldn't raise taxes, which is a big thing to Republicans. And "Democrats always raise taxes."

by Anonymousreply 270December 7, 2018 12:25 AM

Trump won because white women won't vote for another woman. They prefer to vote for a Pussy Grabber. So don't nominate any women.

by Anonymousreply 271December 7, 2018 12:43 AM

Weird poll options.

by Anonymousreply 272December 7, 2018 12:46 AM

Klobuchar on Rachel in a couple mins.

by Anonymousreply 273December 7, 2018 1:43 AM

I like Klobuchar but she is about as exciting as a slice of white bread. I don't see her building up enough support to take the nomination.

by Anonymousreply 274December 7, 2018 1:53 AM

That interview with Klobuchar was soooooo.....rivet....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

by Anonymousreply 275December 7, 2018 1:54 AM

Yes, Klobuchar is lovely but her campaign will go nowhere.

by Anonymousreply 276December 7, 2018 1:56 AM

Yeah I'm all for Beto but I'm open to looking at others. That's why I mentioned the Klobuchar interview — others mentioned her here, I think.

by Anonymousreply 277December 7, 2018 2:02 AM

[quote] Trump won because of his message, not because of his demographic or charisma.

His only message was "hate your neighbor." He won because of Russian interference in our election. He won by a margin that resulted in winning the electoral college. He lost the popular vote by 4million votes. The winning candidate in 2020 need not pander to Trump's base as if they have legitimate concerns.

by Anonymousreply 278December 7, 2018 2:32 AM

Bernie is planning a "much" larger campaign than last time. That's not music to my ears. I agree that a great many young people are likely to camp with Beto this time.

by Anonymousreply 279December 7, 2018 5:41 AM

Beto is my King.

by Anonymousreply 280December 7, 2018 5:43 AM

The BernieBros are attacking Beto but they weren't subtle about it. It got noted and reported on. Now they look like the psycho shits they are.

by Anonymousreply 281December 7, 2018 4:45 PM

R281 Word.

by Anonymousreply 282December 8, 2018 5:24 AM

Beto has met with Obama, Gillum and Sharpton to gage support. Now Gillum is looking at possibly getting in, which I think he should do.

by Anonymousreply 283December 11, 2018 10:08 PM

Amy K and someone else

Not Beto.

by Anonymousreply 284December 11, 2018 10:14 PM

Beto is Number One on the MoveOn straw poll. This is humongous. They endorsed Bernie massively in 2016 and he only comes in 3rd on this. The figures for Biden, Warren and Bernie are weak as they are the best known to Democratic activists on MoveOn. Beto has the best showing followed by Kamala Harris. The others have pitiful numbers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 285December 11, 2018 10:26 PM

Beto is a fake like Macron and Trudeau

by Anonymousreply 286December 11, 2018 10:30 PM

Trump won because people were sick of Bush-Clinton Bush-Clinton and the outsourcing of jobs and stagnating wages during their wonderful reign.

They were right to reject Bush-Clinton Bush-Clinton but there were no viable options or parties to vote for as the genuine left has been destroyed.

by Anonymousreply 287December 11, 2018 10:33 PM

R286 you Republicans are so tiresome.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 288December 11, 2018 11:22 PM

.... guage support... I meant to write.

by Anonymousreply 289December 12, 2018 12:58 AM

And here comes Tulsi Gabbard.

by Anonymousreply 290December 12, 2018 1:08 AM

All during the Texas Senate campaign, Tulsi would like and retweet every tweet Beto made. And sometimes come in for criticism from her fans for supporting Beto. I figure either they're friends or she's got a crush on him.

by Anonymousreply 291December 12, 2018 1:12 AM

R286 proves Beto is a losing cult already. Attacking people as "Republicans" is exactly how the last election was lost.

Remember the song "smiling faces, smiling faces tell lies" ? A lightweight, image-conscious and inexperienced pretty boy is not what is needed now. Someone serious and intelligent is needed.

by Anonymousreply 292December 12, 2018 1:47 AM

I got a fundraising email from Julian Castro today. He said that he's exploring a run for president. I unsubscribed.

by Anonymousreply 293December 12, 2018 6:21 PM

Castro came in 17th on the MoveOn poll. He needs to move on.

by Anonymousreply 294December 12, 2018 7:25 PM

Somebody on twitter claimed Cory Booker had beat up a girlfriend. I was shocked that he had ever had a girlfriend. Anybody know if this is true? He's an obvious closet case isn't he?

by Anonymousreply 295December 12, 2018 7:28 PM

Klobuchar is the correct response to Trump and Trumpism. Beto is an escalation of it. I like him, but his presidency would see the Democratic political process unmoored from governance and policy.

by Anonymousreply 296December 12, 2018 8:42 PM

I like Klobuchar and was looking forward to seeing her on Maddow. About 2 minutes into the interview, I was starting to nod off...... She is boring as hell.

by Anonymousreply 297December 12, 2018 8:44 PM

That would surprise me about Cory Booker. I haven't heard anything like that. He's gay as can be.

by Anonymousreply 298December 12, 2018 8:52 PM

I know it's early and a lot can still happen, but based on that straw poll I think right now it's likely to be Beto and Kamala on the ticket.

by Anonymousreply 299December 12, 2018 8:55 PM

r296, what?!?

by Anonymousreply 300December 12, 2018 10:40 PM

Julian Castro was just on msnbc, will be striking an "exploratory committee" or something like that about running for POTUS.

Said he was for Medicare for all (and other stuff).

by Anonymousreply 301December 13, 2018 3:03 AM

R287, no, you're wrong.... Trump won because white racists here offended by a black president, and white sexists were offended by the thought of a woman president. It was racism and sexism. Pure and simple.

by Anonymousreply 302December 13, 2018 4:59 AM

No Bernie.

No Biden.

No Bloomberg.

No billionaires.

No "businessmen".

by Anonymousreply 303December 13, 2018 5:02 AM

Fucking Julian Castro? Just no. A Mexican mayor from Texas who doesn't speak Spanish? It's not so much the fact that he didn't grow up speaking it but that, knowing he wanted to go into state-wide politics in Texas, he didn't bother to learn it. He's lazy. He's also not very well-spoken and has no presidential anything. He looked drugged on O'Donnell's show tonight.

Tulsi Gabbard from Hawaii also pretty much announced she's running. She's hot and a military veteran but I've never really seen her before.

Are we going to have 40 people running for 2020?

by Anonymousreply 304December 13, 2018 6:50 AM

What a fucking thread. OP should know by now the West has better odds for 2020.

Beto/ Harris

Julian Castro/ Martin Heinrich

Garretti / Beto

Swalwell/ Gallegos

Etc etc

by Anonymousreply 305December 13, 2018 7:04 AM

Julian Castro has done jack shit recently. Obama named him Secy of HUD for the last couple of years of his administration. Then nothing. He seems to have a Prince Julian complex. He thinks because he gave the keynote speech at a Dem convention - like Obama did - he's going to be President too. He's a lightweight. His brother is actually more accomplished.

Gabbard is a wacko. She's sort of a socialist but one who went to meet Trump after the election. She also went to meet Assad and has defended him. She's a member of some weird cult - sort of Hare Krishna shit.

by Anonymousreply 306December 13, 2018 7:51 PM

swalwell/beto

by Anonymousreply 307December 14, 2018 1:31 AM

[quote]Tulsi Gabbard from Hawaii also pretty much announced she's running. She's hot and a military veteran but I've never really seen her before.

She's a fucking Republican BernieBro. Fuck her. No.

by Anonymousreply 308December 14, 2018 1:54 AM

Julian Castro is running for VP. He knows he has zero chance of winning the primary, but he wants to go back to DC and live in luxury with minimal work.

by Anonymousreply 309December 14, 2018 2:05 AM

No. Harris ain't taking a VP slot behind Beto. He's a state level legislator who just lost his most high-profile race. They're trying to make him happen because they're scared of running a woman. Well, a woman won in 2016 before it was stolen from her by crooks, Russians and traitors. That reality is more apparent by the day.

Harris is a U.S. Senator from largest, richest, most populous state and she was it's Attorney General for four years. She's smart, accomplished and ready to rule. Harris is a winner!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 310December 14, 2018 2:09 AM

r310, First of all get your facts straight. Beto was a U.S. House member from the 16th district in Texas, not a state representative. He gave up his seat to run for Senate in Texas.

And nobody's "making him happen" he's happening all on his own without any help.

The fact is that the primaries will decide who the nominee is, not you or me on this board tonight. If it's Kamala Harris I'm sure most Democrats will gladly get behind her. If it's Beto though can you say the same? Or will you have a snit and sit it out because you didn't get your way?

Nothing is guaranteed. Kamala Harris can run if she wants to, but nobody owes her anything, and if she doesn't want to be Beto's or anybody else's VP, that's fine because I'm sure there are plenty of other Democratic men and women out there who will jump at the chance to be on a ticket with Beto or anybody else who wins the nomination.

by Anonymousreply 311December 14, 2018 4:28 AM

[quote] And nobody's "making him happen" he's happening all on his own without any help.

I don't agree. He's middle of the pack (and he lost) yet all we hear is he is an Obama-esque juggernaut. Despite the loss, he's being groomed by media and political establishment as a candidate for higher office because he is a white male southerner. Democrats are scared of the racism and sexism of Deplorables. But if he is the nominee I will support him.

by Anonymousreply 312December 14, 2018 12:29 PM

R312 Beto came in first on MoveOn. That's a very, very significant poll because it groups millions of hardcore Dem activists - the ones who actually work on campaigns and donate and the ones who actually vote. Bernie ran away with MoveOn in 2016.

Beto just gave his last Town Hall for his constituents in El Paso and discussed Trump (though he wouldn't say if he's running or not) and his brilliance was on full display. He's an exceptional orator. And we need a great orator. This is going to be a showy battle of Bullshit vs. Reason and very few people are capable of defending reason as eloquently as Beto can.

by Anonymousreply 313December 14, 2018 5:33 PM

I like Harris, but you shouldn't say that Beto is beneath her. They have different things going for them. The media does like Beto, but it is not true that they are making him happen, he is doing that. That straw poll was a vote, just like the primaries will be. He came in first fair and square. Beto has the exact same thing going for him that catapulted JFK, Bill Clinton and Barack Obama into the White House, rock star likeability that fills stadiums. That is an important distinction between him and Harris. Come 2020, my number one goal is for us to win, and I really don't care which person does it for us. I want all of those pieces of shit swept out of the halls of power. Why would you not want to take the guy that apparently everyone loves into that battle with you. And come on, give us more credit than that, we are not picking him because he's a man.

by Anonymousreply 314December 14, 2018 9:11 PM

Here he is today rocking his Spanish. When was the last time you heard a white candidate speaking fluent Spanish?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 315December 14, 2018 10:12 PM

There's a report out that Biden is trying to get Beto to agree to run as his running mate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 316December 15, 2018 1:38 AM

Beto should say "Sorry chum - make it the other way around."

by Anonymousreply 317December 15, 2018 1:50 AM

Biden/Beto is a surefire winner I think, although Beto has almost TOO MUCH charisma and magnetism for VP, if that makes sense. It's almost a waste. But Biden could step down after 4 years (because he's old AF) and Beto can at least run in 2024.

by Anonymousreply 318December 15, 2018 1:53 AM

Biden will not win.

by Anonymousreply 319December 15, 2018 2:03 AM

Progressives slam Beto for not labeling himself progressive. If he had, would they have been ok with that?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 320December 15, 2018 2:10 AM

Beto is running for president, not VP. Biden is just trying to eliminate the competition with that VP nonsense. He knows that Beto would beat him easily.

by Anonymousreply 321December 15, 2018 2:24 AM

Biden will be done the first time he calls Kamala Harris or Elizabeth Warren "little lady". He has foot-in-mouth disease and there are enough creepy Joe stories out there to sink him. And, if none of that did it, his atrocious record of running the Clarence Thomas hearings will kill him in today's post-metoo, post-Kavanaugh atmosphere. He needs to take on the role of elder statesman and advisor. He already had his chances and his days in the spotlight.

by Anonymousreply 322December 15, 2018 2:31 AM

No more old white men. No Biden. No Bernie. Democrats need to wise up and stop being fearful.

by Anonymousreply 323December 15, 2018 5:28 AM

R322, you're right. I can picture Biden calling Harris or Warren "little lady".

by Anonymousreply 324December 15, 2018 5:56 AM

Exactly. That's why I'm not vacillating. I like, admire and respect a lot of the other people that want to run, but I'm behind him. I think that we'll win if we choose Beto. Biden reaching out to him is so transparent, he knows that Beto can completely fuck up everything for him, and Bernie is realizing the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 325December 15, 2018 6:06 AM

So, we're going to get a year, at least, of those two old men attacking Beto and doing the Repugs work for them just like Bernie did with helping out the Repugs by staying in the race after he'd clearly lost and badmouthing Hillary the whole time. Fuck these entitled old men and their fucking egos.

by Anonymousreply 326December 15, 2018 6:37 AM

I can't believe how sick I already am of the Castro brothers.

by Anonymousreply 327December 15, 2018 7:02 AM

Bernie just needs to go away....preferably permanently.

And he needs to take all his nasty Berniebros with him.

by Anonymousreply 328December 15, 2018 1:11 PM

R327 the Castros keep showing up together. They must think that's positive. They post on Facebook bits about how well they know each other.

They're starting to remind me of the twins in The Shining.

by Anonymousreply 329December 15, 2018 3:40 PM

Beto was just at Tornillo with Sen. Smith (Minnesota?), Sen. Hirono and Sen Merkeley (who's also thinking about running for President). You could see why Beto's leading the pack: he's such an inspiring speaker, Merkeley's boring as shit.

by Anonymousreply 330December 15, 2018 5:42 PM

[quote] You could see why Beto's leading the pack: he's such an inspiring speaker,

Well then he needs to get to work. We need some inspiration.

by Anonymousreply 331December 15, 2018 5:56 PM

Sherrod Brown was just interviewed by Al Sharpton. No. Cannot stand listening to his voice.

by Anonymousreply 332December 15, 2018 9:32 PM

Jeff Merkley was just interviewed by Al Sharpton. No. He makes Brown and Klobuchar look exciting.

by Anonymousreply 333December 16, 2018 11:59 PM

R327, I agree. I'm not a fan of their borderline neutrality and "niceness."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 334December 17, 2018 1:37 AM

Iowa

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 335December 17, 2018 1:41 AM

I think many Dems are really comfortable with Biden. He's ok, but he's been around forever. I'd like someone relatively new. And exciting.

by Anonymousreply 336December 17, 2018 1:43 AM

Biden's birthday is 11/20/42. He'll be almost 78 on election day 2020. Trump will be 74. No judgment — just info.

by Anonymousreply 337December 17, 2018 1:48 AM

Castro from the article linked above:

[quote]If you were president and prosecutors attempted to prosecute a then former President Trump, would you pardon him as Gerald Ford did for Richard Nixon?

[quote]“That is a tough decision. My inclination is to say no, that I would not, but I think some of that also depends on where we’re at as a country.”

He can go fuck himself.

by Anonymousreply 338December 17, 2018 2:39 AM

I keep waiting for the meme of the Castro Bros dressed as the twins in The Shining.

by Anonymousreply 339December 17, 2018 2:41 AM

Castro is Such a hack.

by Anonymousreply 340December 17, 2018 2:42 AM

Iowa is white people land. Most of the country is not white people land for what it's worth.

by Anonymousreply 341December 17, 2018 6:24 AM

Iowa should never be the first to choose. Ever. Neither should New Hampshire. They are not reflective of this nation at all.

by Anonymousreply 342December 17, 2018 6:27 AM

The California and Texas primaries have been moved up and both are majority minority states so that should make things more interesting.

by Anonymousreply 343December 17, 2018 4:12 PM

I can pretty much guarantee that Beto has the Texas primary in the bag.

by Anonymousreply 344December 17, 2018 9:54 PM

That's a lot of delegates.

by Anonymousreply 345December 17, 2018 9:56 PM

Interesting. Remember him?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 346December 17, 2018 9:59 PM

Beto can fight

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 347December 17, 2018 10:01 PM

It's funny that the insults BernieBros are throwing at him on twitter now are the arguments brought up against him by Cruz and this corrupt politico Reyes. How the alt-right and alt-left share ideas.

by Anonymousreply 348December 17, 2018 10:07 PM

My husband is really hoping for Warren/Harris.

by Anonymousreply 349December 17, 2018 10:14 PM

Hmm. I am not super comfortable that we could win with Warren, but she's very good in the senate.

by Anonymousreply 350December 17, 2018 10:46 PM

I want Harris/O'Rourke

by Anonymousreply 351December 17, 2018 11:35 PM

R346's story is proof that people have lost their damn minds. No gay guy from Indiana with the words 'butt' and, phonetically, 'gag' in his last name is going to go anywhere. Are these losers being brought in to run in order to make the actual contenders look better or something? Hell, maybe I'll form an exploratory committee.

by Anonymousreply 352December 18, 2018 12:24 AM

r349, two women? Not likely. At least not as soon as 2020.

We HAVE to win in 2020; does anybody understand that?

by Anonymousreply 353December 18, 2018 12:34 AM

r351, O'Rourke's talents would be wasted in the VP slot. Let Harris go find somebody else to be on her ticket.

by Anonymousreply 354December 18, 2018 12:36 AM

I wish Beto looked and acted a little more mature. I like him but he looks like an awkward teenager. And, I really don't need to see him skateboarding around parking lots. I also didn't think he did too well in the debates.

by Anonymousreply 355December 18, 2018 12:40 AM

R354, he can be 'co-president' like Gore was to Clinton, and in lesser-respect, like Biden was to OBama… and be perfectly positioned to take over after she's done.

He needs the international experience.

by Anonymousreply 356December 18, 2018 12:57 AM

We'll lose again if we put another female at the top of the ticket. Most voters are not comfortable with the idea of a woman president, especially in the states we need to win.

Hillary is the only woman in America with the gravitas to become president, but she isn't a strong enough campaigner to close the deal. Well, Michelle Obama could probably do it, but she has no political ambitions.

by Anonymousreply 357December 18, 2018 12:59 AM

R355, I hear what you're saying. If he runs, he needs a team that can calm him down. He talks and acts like he has ADHD.

by Anonymousreply 358December 18, 2018 1:01 AM

And yet R357, Hillary got more votes than ANY man to run for President, except Obama in 2008.

Her "loss" was a razor thing 78k votes spread across three states.

Hillary did close the deal. The deal was just stolen from her.

by Anonymousreply 359December 18, 2018 1:03 AM

It wasn't stolen r359, she lost the electoral college which unfortunately for her, is how presidents are actually ELECTED in this country.

She refused to campaign in some of those states more, and that's why she lost them.

by Anonymousreply 360December 18, 2018 1:05 AM

It was steal-able because the race was so razor close, because she was a poor campaigner and voters had a problem with voting for a woman president. There's no way in hell that the race should have been that close. Any Democratic man would have beat Trump.

by Anonymousreply 361December 18, 2018 1:07 AM

Yes, it was obviously stolen. That's why there's this whole Mueller investigation. Maybe you've heard of it. Russian hacking, voter suppression (unprecidented in the wake of the gutting of the Voting Rights Act), Misogynist pundits in the press, massive social media propaganda, and lots of election fraud and voting irregularities in many states.

Hillary was not a poor campaigner.

I love how when guys lose, they just lose, but when a woman loses, she has to shoulder all the blame, even if she faced unprecidented headwinds, lies, voter suppression, and more. Fuck you sexist morons.

No, Any Democratic Man who ran would have lost as well. You don't seem to have a clue what happened in 2016.

by Anonymousreply 362December 18, 2018 1:09 AM

Hillary was not a great campaigner. Even Bill who is a very good campaigner said to her she needed to visit those 3 states more, and she thought she knew better and refused to do so.

Oh well, that's why he's something she will never be; a president.

by Anonymousreply 363December 18, 2018 1:12 AM

No, she didn't "refuse" to do so. She was advised to not spend time in Wisconsin, and that Bernie would campaign for her there. Of course he didn't. HE never keeps his promises or his part of any bargains.

She campaigned in Pennsylvania a LOT, yet still lost it... yet another data point that debunks your idiotic narrative.

by Anonymousreply 364December 18, 2018 1:27 AM

Nicolle Wallace said some GOP insiders are saying the GOP 'underestimates Beto at their peril'. They think he's the most dangerous candidate for Trump.

by Anonymousreply 365December 18, 2018 2:18 AM

[quote] She was advised to not spend time in Wisconsin, and that Bernie would campaign for her there. Of course he didn't.

Now, it's Bernie's fault that she lost Wisconsin? Please. Not only did she not bother to set foot in the state, she also ran almost no TV ads in Wisconsin. Stupid decision.

[quote] She campaigned in Pennsylvania a LOT, yet still lost it

Her campaigning in Pennsylvania consisted mostly of star-studded rallies in Philly while she ignored most of the rest of the state. Stupid decision.

by Anonymousreply 366December 18, 2018 3:38 AM

R365, I've been saying for awhile now that Beto would be incredibly effective against Trump because he would mostly ignore him, just like he ignored Cruz. Trump can only thrive when he's in a feud with someone. Beto sticks to his message and keeps things upbeat and positive.. Biden would be in a constant and exhausting war of words with Trump, essentially playing on Trump's turf.

Independents especially love an aspirational campaign style and that's why they voted in droves for Obama. They always want the complete opposite of what they've had for the previous 4 years, and that's Beto to a T.

by Anonymousreply 367December 18, 2018 4:20 AM

I think there's a lot of danger for us if Harris is at the top of the ticket this go round. And I really think that there's a good chance that Trump will not be our opponent.

by Anonymousreply 368December 18, 2018 5:59 AM

I agree with you, Eric, as always.

Beto is the best bet. He’s Obama 2.0, in a good way.

Unless someone else comes out of absolutely nowhere, someone no one has even thought of yet. I guess that could happen. But I’ll guarantee that Klobuchar, Harris, Booker, Gabbard, Warren, Biden, and Bernie are NOT happening.

by Anonymousreply 369December 18, 2018 6:37 AM

I think the Democrats really need to not plan based on running against Trump. I think they need to plan on running against a semi-same Repug ticket. That would be really dangerous because the contrast against what they had in Trump would be energizing to the Repugs and embarrassed Repugs who call themselves Independents. I'm thinking something along the line of a Mitt Romney/Niki Haley ticket. I don't think there is any way the Repugs will let Trump run again. I wouldn't even be surprised if that's a deal already in place. We'll keep backing you for now as long as you don't run in 2020.

by Anonymousreply 370December 18, 2018 6:49 AM

[quote]Even though HRC won the popular vote in 2016 (I voted for her), she was not well-likedwell-liked

Just stop. Hillary had a 60+% percent approval rating when she was SOS. She and Obama had an almost equal PV count 2012-16. She clearly won all three debates.

by Anonymousreply 371December 18, 2018 8:17 AM

Stop rehashing 2016. On to 2020.

by Anonymousreply 372December 18, 2018 8:38 AM

r371, Just because she had a high approval rating when she was in Obama's cabinet does not mean it was still high in 2016. Sorry, but all polls pretty much showed that BOTH she and Trump has pretty low approval ratings in 2016, a lot of people didn't want to vote for either of them.

And winning the debates doesn't mean they like you better either.

by Anonymousreply 373December 18, 2018 12:09 PM

r342: while not diverse, NH does take the vetting process incredibly seriously. This is not a state full of low-information voters who elect pro wrestlers or action heroes because it's funny to see their names on the ballot.

by Anonymousreply 374December 18, 2018 12:15 PM

You can thank Jimmy Carter for breaking out in 1976 in the Iowa caucus for Iowa being such a big deal in presidential politics now; that's where it all began.

by Anonymousreply 375December 18, 2018 12:19 PM

R373 is correct of course. Clinton was a deeply unpopular candidate. 2016 was an election between two historically unpopular candidates

by Anonymousreply 376December 18, 2018 1:21 PM

I want the primary candidates to address:

1. How they'll deal with Russian interference (i.e., their war against us) — no more "resets," PLEASE (we know what they're about now);

2. How they'll deal with anti-democratic and anti-fair play initiatives by the GOP (e.g., voter suppression, gerrymandering, the ramifications of Trump's 2020 Census);

3. How hard they'll push on judicial nominations, regardless of the Senate's makeup;

4. Whether they'll campaign HARD during midterms (versus floating above it all, only to have the House, Senate, and state legislatures and governorships dominated by the GOP for several more years); and

5. Whether there's the smallest chance they'll pardon Trump, should they be in the position to do so.

by Anonymousreply 377December 18, 2018 2:01 PM

[quote] [R351], O'Rourke's talents would be wasted in the VP slot. Let Harris go find somebody else to be on her ticket.

I think the opposite is true. Harris would be wasted in the VP slot. She has the intellect and experience to lead. Beto may have charisma and appeal but there is no evidence he's ready to be president. Give him 8 years as VP and he'll be ready.

by Anonymousreply 378December 18, 2018 2:49 PM

I guess we just need to be patient through the primaries. Let's make a pact that the winner of the Dem primary will receive our unequivocal support -- no Bernie 2016 nonsense -- and we'll be assured of winning.

by Anonymousreply 379December 18, 2018 2:51 PM

Bernie endorsed Hillary r379. Over and over.

by Anonymousreply 380December 18, 2018 2:53 PM

Another new poll out - of lefties. Bernie is No. 1, Biden No. 2 and Beto No. 3. That these 3 guys are the leaders in every poll so far can't be ignored. Women are not breaking through - in particular Liz Warren isn't going anywhere. Kamala Harris may not be as well known as some - though she's better known than Beto, she's had a lot of publicity since she got elected, she's not getting much support either.

Some hardcore feminists on twitter are having a fit. What's the point of designating a woman or person of color as the Dem nominee when they obviously aren't getting any support in all these polls?

by Anonymousreply 381December 18, 2018 3:17 PM

Candidates need to be "introduced" to the electorate. Not many knew Obama before he jumped into the race. Oprah was responsible for mainstreaming him. We need an Oprah.

by Anonymousreply 382December 18, 2018 3:22 PM

R379 Totally agree. That's what I said and did in 2016. I was a Bernie supporter, but said that I would absolutely support and vote for whomever became the nominee. I knew that was the only way to go because so much was at stake and it wasn't the time to be cute. I was exceedingly concerned about the courts. I don't understand how that wasn't clear to everyone.

by Anonymousreply 383December 19, 2018 6:47 AM

No Biden.

No Bernie.

No Blumenthal.

No straight white males over 70 please.

Ever again.

Ever.

by Anonymousreply 384December 19, 2018 6:53 AM

R381, all that does is prove the far left (i.e. idiots gullible enough to think Bernie is a good idea) are just as racist and sexist as the Right wing is.

As if that wasn't obvious all through 2016.

by Anonymousreply 385December 19, 2018 6:54 AM

R380, Bernie trashed Hillary after he'd been mathematically eliminated in March of 2016. He said she wasn't qualified (what a joke). Further, he threatened a brokered convention (wasn't even possible). He held off endorsing as long as he could, and when he finally did, it was the most tepid endorsement we've ever seen in any Democratic primary ending. And instead of campaigning and raising money for her as he promised, he spent the summer writing a book (which bombed). You're clinging to delusion and revisionist history if you think Bernie did any more than the bare minimum in campaigning for and endorsing Hillary in the General. And he showed an utter lack of leadership in calling his supporters to heel, and stop with their trashing of her, their parroting of debunked lies about her, or even INFORMING them that they were being manipulated by propaganda (including Russian bots) into hating her irrationally. He knew, and said nothing.

Fuck. Bernie. Sanders.

Bernie is an intellectually dishonest narcissistic old fraud... and if you can't see that, you're brainwashed or just plain gullible & stupid. His disastrous NYDN interview, in which he was exposed as an empty suit, with absolutely no clue how to implement anything he talks about, should have been the end of his campaign and the end of everyone's support of him. But I guess sexism and white privilege is strong... even on the Left.

Seriously. Fuck Bernie, and fuck those who can't let go of him.

by Anonymousreply 386December 19, 2018 6:59 AM

I haven't seen a ton of Beto. Is he smart and quick? I just want some deep intelligence beyond charismatic delivery and rockin' soundbites. Does he have the goods?

by Anonymousreply 387December 19, 2018 7:12 AM

Yes, R387.

by Anonymousreply 388December 19, 2018 7:21 AM

[quote]Clinton was a deeply unpopular candidate.

Repeating lies don't make them any truer, Boris!

by Anonymousreply 389December 19, 2018 10:53 AM

Except they're not lies, she was extremely unpopular (as was Trump) during the 2016 campaign. It wasn't that long ago and I remember the polls, most voters had no strong preference for either one of them.

Yes she won the popular vote in the end. A lot of good that did her while she let the electoral college slip away from her. And blaming Bernie is bullshit; she was the candidate, so she was ultimately responsible for everything that went right and everything that went wrong in her campaign. Ever hear of the saying "the buck stops here?" Has Hillary?

by Anonymousreply 390December 19, 2018 12:44 PM

I'm with R101. Especially considering there's a good chance the powers that be may get behind Kasich . I think the Republicans can win if they put together a ticket with Kasich and Haley. We have to do a lot better than that. And remember . It's not enough to come up with a winning ticket. We have to make sure they lose. Sometimes we forget that part.

by Anonymousreply 391December 19, 2018 1:00 PM

The main thing we have to remember is that we have to run on issues like we did in 2018.

by Anonymousreply 392December 19, 2018 2:47 PM

R388, can you elaborate?

by Anonymousreply 393December 20, 2018 12:47 AM

Progressives begin the teardown of Beto.

If you read it, it's actually not that bad. They're really digging for stuff, but while he's not necessarily super progressive, he's still a solid Democrat.

Nice try, Guardian.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 394December 20, 2018 12:55 PM

Well that's only fair, isn't it? Shouldn't candidate's voting records be examined?

by Anonymousreply 395December 20, 2018 1:07 PM

This is the "winnowing out" period. They've elevated Beto so they can knock him down. I don't remember if the tried this with Obama, but he was fortunate to run against Hillary in the primaries, and the hate machine was focused on her more.

by Anonymousreply 396December 20, 2018 1:23 PM

O'Rourke can't expect to be nominated by acclamation because he is charming. His voting record is fair game.

by Anonymousreply 397December 20, 2018 1:32 PM

Trump will win again

by Anonymousreply 398December 20, 2018 1:37 PM

[quote] Trump will win again

If the Democratic Party can't beat Trump in 2020 then it is DOOMED.

by Anonymousreply 399December 20, 2018 3:17 PM

The Republican Party just lost the midterm elections by the largest margin in history. They are the ones who are "DOOMED"

by Anonymousreply 400December 20, 2018 3:19 PM

Swalwell-Beto

They would be nice to watch....

by Anonymousreply 401December 20, 2018 3:23 PM

The Guardian article is written by David Sirota who is not a journalist but Bernie Sanders' spokesman. Take with a whole box of salt.

by Anonymousreply 402December 20, 2018 6:54 PM

Absolutely examine everyone's voting records, but keep a critical eye on the spin with which they're reported. If you read the article, it's laughably obvious.

by Anonymousreply 403December 20, 2018 9:51 PM

The Beto-braus need to realize that he's not above scrutiny or negative press.

by Anonymousreply 404December 20, 2018 10:14 PM

Sirota and the BernieBros need to realize their attacks on old Bernie's rivals for the Democratic nomination only serve Trump's interests. Just like they did in 2016.

by Anonymousreply 405December 20, 2018 10:23 PM

r405, they will never learn, because they are convinced that Bernie is the right answer to all our ills.

goddammit if they fuck up the 2020 election like they did the 2016.

by Anonymousreply 406December 21, 2018 12:09 AM

The Berners on twitter all seem to live in NYC - or in Canada. Do they never venture out into this sorta green and unpleasant land to see what's going on outside Manhattan??

by Anonymousreply 407December 21, 2018 12:58 AM

R407, in Canada? So they're interfering in American elections, too.

by Anonymousreply 408December 21, 2018 1:07 AM

Bernie needs to announce right the fuck now that he's not running.

by Anonymousreply 409December 21, 2018 5:33 AM

Why doesn't the guardian write about Bernie's voting record? Magnitsky act, Russian sanctions, Iraq liberation act. He also voted in favor of regime change in Libya. Why he refused to release his tax returns, his campaign manager Tad Devine's association with Manafort and Russia. Why he never explained why he gave interviews to Russian propaganda television, why he never explained why Russia helped his campaign. His NRA connections ...

Expose the fucker and destroy him.

by Anonymousreply 410December 21, 2018 10:08 AM

Yep R410. The MSM gave Bernie and his wife the crook a free ride in 2016. If they do that again next year, there's gonna be a riot. Democrats are fed up with this asshole.

by Anonymousreply 411December 21, 2018 2:36 PM

R390, it IS a lie.

She got more votes than anyone to run for President except Obama in 2008. She won the popular vote... and in fact has won the popular vote in EVERY election she's ever run in. She had a sold out book tour and a best selling book. She was voted Most Admired Woman In The World 22 times, 16 times in a row. Nobody else has come close. Her approval ratings while at State were routinely in the 60s... HIGHER THAN OBAMA'S.

Fuck all you morons saying she's "deeply unpopular".

by Anonymousreply 412December 21, 2018 3:21 PM

[quote]And blaming Bernie is bullshit

It really isn't. He played a very large part in her loss. If he weren't such an entitled, privileged, whiney sore loser who lacks any and all leadership skills or character, she would have won. But he's a sexist old fuckwad, and he helped screw this entire country. I hope he dies soon, and miserably.

by Anonymousreply 413December 21, 2018 3:24 PM

Enough about 20fucking16 already!

by Anonymousreply 414December 21, 2018 3:27 PM

Look. We have shown we will turn out and we can win in House races. We have even made some progress in statewide races. But if you think or believe they don't plan on fighting us using every dirty trick they can think of, then you are delusional. We have to start now. Two years is not a long time. We have to fight like a junk yard dog, and make sure voter suppression and gerrymandering is exposed and dismantled, and we have to insist on ballot security! Everything has to be monitored. Because it is the statewide elections that will count most in 2020. We did a lot right in 2018, now we need to do it again only moreso.

by Anonymousreply 415December 21, 2018 3:31 PM

R412 = Hillary Clinton

by Anonymousreply 416December 21, 2018 3:55 PM

R414 problem is the BernieBros are revisiting 2016 already in 2018.. can you imagine keeping that up for 2 solid years? Holy shit, these people are nutjobs - just as bad as the Trump idiots.

by Anonymousreply 417December 21, 2018 4:23 PM

R417, that's exactly why he needs to tell his cultists that he's not running right now. Otherwise, they'll shit their diapers and pout about how everyone was so unfair to lil' Bernie and forced him out.

by Anonymousreply 418December 21, 2018 6:52 PM

But he is running.

by Anonymousreply 419December 22, 2018 6:35 AM

If he runs, he's going to lose and his cultists will pout and whine and stay home or vote for Trump again. I hope Sanders drops dead. He'd be more help in 2020 as a martyr.

by Anonymousreply 420December 22, 2018 6:50 AM

Beto published a stunning essay on the government shutdown.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 421December 22, 2018 11:25 PM

Alternative title: Beto is making it very clear he is running for President.

by Anonymousreply 422December 23, 2018 2:24 AM

Jeff Roe - Ted Cruz's campaign manager.

I’ve read every single word that @BetoORourke has uttered in public life. He has never, and I mean never, talked like this.

@KamalaHarris @SenSanders @JoeBiden and @CoryBooker you better pull your britches up tight and buckle your shoes because @BetoORourke is running for POTUS

by Anonymousreply 423December 23, 2018 4:10 AM

What if Bloomberg wins?

by Anonymousreply 424December 23, 2018 4:13 AM

He won't.

by Anonymousreply 425December 23, 2018 4:13 AM

I think Bloomberg was viable before we new that Beto would be running. I received the essay also, and I read that as a clear declaration that he fully intends to run.

by Anonymousreply 426December 23, 2018 5:44 AM

R332, somehow I've heard Brown's voice, on the radio, only once or twice, recently. Terrible. I thought, I hope it's that way because he has a cold or was orating too much. Guess not. Impossible.

by Anonymousreply 427December 23, 2018 7:50 AM

Elizabeth Warren, I think you're great but wouldn't have a chance, but you are welcome to: "Warren: 20/20 Vision!" Maybe the logo could the 2 "0's" as glasses lenses.

by Anonymousreply 428December 23, 2018 11:08 AM

"A Democratic Senator flatly tells Jonathan Martin of the NYTimes: “Beto is going to be our nominee.” Mighty high upper chamber opinion of Beto ORourke, who is more seriously looking at 2020."

Wonder who it is.

by Anonymousreply 429December 23, 2018 9:18 PM

Bernie and Biden both need to die sometime within the next year.

by Anonymousreply 430December 23, 2018 9:21 PM

I think Beto will probably win the nomination, and will probably pick Harris as his running mate.

But really, I think it should be reversed and Harris should be the nominee. Beto is too inexperienced for the job.

by Anonymousreply 431December 23, 2018 9:22 PM

I just saw two BETO 2020 yard signs this afternoon. Trying to find out where I can get mine now.

by Anonymousreply 432December 23, 2018 10:50 PM

Harris checks boxes (female, smart, non-white) but is an unappealing, rather cold woman with a nasal voice. The only woman I think has the charisma to eventually win on a national stage (but of course she lost in Georgia, I know, I know--to a crook)--is Stacey Abrams. She is as charismatic as Oprah but with a Yale law degree (in tax law no less). I love her. But I don't think Stacey will be the nominee for 2020. Andrew Gillum also has a lot of charisma and I think would make a good VP candidate. Also like Amy Klobuchar but since the black vote is so important to the Dems, I think we need at least one black candidate. And I too want Beto at the top of the ticket.

by Anonymousreply 433December 24, 2018 12:43 AM

Everyone please pray for a Christmas Miracle for Bernie to be found dead.

by Anonymousreply 434December 24, 2018 12:47 AM

How would you feel about a Beto/Hillary ticket? ch I bet you never thought about that one, did you? That's an idea I want all of you to mull over this Christmas.

by Anonymousreply 435December 24, 2018 12:58 AM

No one is "mulling" over that idea, because it is stupid and would never happen r425.

by Anonymousreply 436December 24, 2018 1:00 AM

R435 Yeah...... no.

by Anonymousreply 437December 24, 2018 1:09 AM

As long as Beto is at the top of the ticket, I'm pretty open on VP. I don't think that we can have two white peeps on there though. I do like Stacy.

by Anonymousreply 438December 24, 2018 1:13 AM

Hillary is Electoral poison, so no.

by Anonymousreply 439December 24, 2018 1:19 AM

Beto doesn't follow many people on twitter but he follows both Stacey Abrams and Andrew Gillum.

by Anonymousreply 440December 24, 2018 2:36 AM

Either of them would be so sweet!

by Anonymousreply 441December 24, 2018 3:31 AM

Fuck no! Beto's VP will come from the California/Arizona area .

by Anonymousreply 442December 24, 2018 4:07 AM

I'm ready and willing!

by Anonymousreply 443December 24, 2018 4:23 AM

Stacey Abrams would be great. Problem is though, they both lost and both don't have much experience.

by Anonymousreply 444December 24, 2018 6:33 AM

Well Gillum losing wasn't any bad reflection on him, it was a bad reflection on Florida. Stacey and Beto came extremely close to winning in red states, so that's to their credit, not detriment. Stacey's election was actually stolen from her, literally. If not for the skulldugery, she won.

by Anonymousreply 445December 24, 2018 7:10 AM

Gillum's in his late 30s so talking about him as a potential Presidential candidate is silly. He's the mayor of a small city. Hopefully, if we get a Dem President in in 2020, that person'll give both Gillum and Stacey choice positions in his or her administration.

by Anonymousreply 446December 24, 2018 4:32 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 447December 25, 2018 5:18 AM

Uhm, I'm very on the left, and Beto is my man. I think the only people that are made uncomfortable by Beto are Bernie and Biden, and not because of any policy differences, but because he rains on their parade. The media always wants conflict, it's the nature of the beast, I understand. But in reality, there is little, to no, conflict around Beto. People are coalescing around him much more than is public right now. The powers that be are saying that he is the nominee, and that there is no question.

by Anonymousreply 448December 25, 2018 5:36 AM

Does he have even one bit of foreign policy experience? The next president is going to have to fix our relationships with the rest of the world. Has he ever even spoken or written in depth on any foreign relations matters?

by Anonymousreply 449December 25, 2018 6:03 AM

I am worried about that too R449. I don't want another pussy like Obama.

by Anonymousreply 450December 25, 2018 6:32 AM

[quote] Does he have even one bit of foreign policy experience? The next president is going to have to fix our relationships with the rest of the world.

The problem is that the type of president we need is the type who probably can't get elected. After Trump, we need an experienced, competent president who is more substance than style, has a firm grasp of policy, understands international diplomacy, and knows how to get things done in Washington. But good luck trying to get someone like that elected in the modern era when the public hates Washington politicians, politics is treated like a form of entertainment, and everything needs to be dumbed down and reduced to soundbites for social media. The reality is that we probably need a "rock star" to go toe to toe with Trump, and as of right now (subject to change), Beto seems to be the one who best fits that description. The best we can hope for is that the "rock star" we nominate will surround him/herself with competent, experienced people who can do much of the heavy lifting.

by Anonymousreply 451December 25, 2018 9:16 AM

He's not a dumb guy by any means, I expect that he will have great people around him. But seriously, after GW Bush and DJ Trump, I don't know how anyone can say that not being qualified is even a thing anymore. Basically, everyone is more qualified than those two.

by Anonymousreply 452December 25, 2018 4:48 PM

Among Beto's biggest boosters on twitter are Laurence Tribe, Preet Bharara and Sally Yates. Not exactly dummies.

by Anonymousreply 453December 25, 2018 5:08 PM

I hope that Preet and Sally go back to the justice department under Beto.

by Anonymousreply 454December 25, 2018 6:29 PM

Attorney General Sally Yates sounds good to me.

by Anonymousreply 455December 25, 2018 7:07 PM

Kamala Harris is the best choice.

by Anonymousreply 456December 26, 2018 12:09 AM

How come all the Beto O’Rourke threads are being deleted, except the negative ones??

by Anonymousreply 457December 26, 2018 12:07 PM

R457 Must be a BernieBro got hired as a moderator.

by Anonymousreply 458December 26, 2018 4:11 PM

Honestly, the person we NEED right now is Hillary Clinton.

Too bad we'll never get her.

by Anonymousreply 459December 26, 2018 4:14 PM

Beto's lack of experience is a concern. Drumpf will have left a big fucking mess when he is booted. The new president has to be prepared to clean up that mess AND get the country back on track. Can Beto do that? Or will he be Jimmy Carter 2.0?

by Anonymousreply 460December 28, 2018 5:00 PM

[QUOTE] Again, I ask: why Kamala Harris?

There appear to be two answers here: white liberals (SJW) who are dedicated to stopping an all-white ticket ever again. Also, some folks who feel that there must be a person of color on the ticket, or (enough) non-whites won't vote.

by Anonymousreply 461December 28, 2018 5:05 PM

Jimmy Carter's problem seems to have been that he was a micro-manager down to very small details. I believe he was an engineer in the Navy. I imagine a President Beto will surround himself with excellent people the way Obama did, at least I hope so. Hopefully Dems will take over the Senate in 2020 (as well as keep the House), which will make things much easier. Not clear that anybody in the field (with the exception of Bloomberg, who won't likely be the candidate) has exceptional managerial skills.

by Anonymousreply 462December 28, 2018 5:06 PM

Jimmy Carter's other problem was illegal activities by the Republican Party. Never forget who these people are and how long they've been without any kind of scruples when it comes to power.

by Anonymousreply 463December 28, 2018 5:42 PM

After the Iranian mess, Jimmy Carter was seen by many as inept, over his head. Also, in 1976 there were still white Southern Democrat, but by 1980 Reagan had begun attracting many of them.

by Anonymousreply 464December 28, 2018 6:07 PM

R464, you need to study some history. Go look up Reagan's and the Repug Party's involvement in the Iranian hostage crisis. You can start here:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 465December 28, 2018 6:30 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 466December 29, 2018 2:51 AM

Doesn't matter R465, democrats need to stop seeing themselfs as the victim of the evil republicans. Democrats need to define how the game is being played, they need to be 3 steps ahead of the GOP. Offense, not defense.

Obama paid a huge price for failing to do this. Putin played Obama like a fiddle and the country is on the brink of collapse because Obama wasn't the top dog in this game.

I think Beto is a great guy, but he needs to surround himself with bad ass killers who won't take no for an answer. Russia, China, the Saudis and Iran are all sawing on the legs of the foundation the western world stands on and it is not going to be an easy ride in the next 10, 50 to 100 years.

by Anonymousreply 467December 29, 2018 5:54 AM

You sound like a Reaganite, R467. We've been doing that crap ever since WWII. It doesn't work. "My dick is bigger than your dick" is not a diplomatic policy that will lead to anything other than continuous war forever. It's one of the main reasons I think we need way more women in international politics. No matter what, it always seems to come down to dick contests when men are involved.

Relatedly, from R466's link:

[quote]In 2016, Sanders voters actually had more conservative views on economic inequality and changes to Social Security and Medicare than Clinton voters did.

You mean young, wealthier, white, male Bernbros are actually Repugs at heart! Shocking.

by Anonymousreply 468December 29, 2018 7:56 AM

Russia, apart from short periods has never stopped being the enemy of the west. Likewise the Middle East. First it was the Umayyads, then it was the Ottomans, then came the Muslim Brotherhood and ISIS. Now there is an even more aggressive China. It's not the time for smoking a peace pipe unfortunately.

I want more democratic countries around the world, not less. China, Russia and the Middle Eastern religious nutjobs aren't on the same page with this.

by Anonymousreply 469December 29, 2018 8:57 AM

President Trump signed a human trafficking law that will take out all the pedos.

Trump 2020!

by Anonymousreply 470December 29, 2018 6:26 PM

No, R470.

by Anonymousreply 471December 29, 2018 6:29 PM

BernieBros...... damn, you people never learn. Nobody is nominating an 80 year old loudmouth, do-nothing to run against Trump.

by Anonymousreply 472December 29, 2018 6:42 PM

Can you imagine if the Vice Presidency went to the runner up like it originally did? Hillary would be this piece of orange shit's VP.

by Anonymousreply 473December 29, 2018 9:29 PM

R461, you forgot to add that Kamala Harris has significant executive branch government experience -- SF District Attorney and CA Attorney General. A smart lawyer with day-to-day responsibility for law enforcement operations of the largest state in the U.S. First hand experience with government and governing. An understanding of the rule of law. Not just a partisan legislator with no accountability and no accomplishments to show after years on the public payroll (i.e. Bernie, Beto).

I understand that it is the tendency at DL to demean all living women who didn't wear a sequined gown and pose for a camera in their lifetime, but Joan Crawford, Liz Taylor and Judy can't run in 2020. A white man with the same experience and qualifications as Harris would be the frontrunner.

by Anonymousreply 474December 30, 2018 4:41 PM

R474 How about how Harris got to where she is by being the girlfriend of a married man 30 years her senior who looks like a toad? How feminist is that?

by Anonymousreply 475December 30, 2018 4:50 PM

[quote] Kamala Harris has significant executive branch government experience -- SF District Attorney and CA Attorney General

That's all well and good, but it's hard to imagine voters (especially in today's political climate) saying, "Wow! She was a district attorney in San Francisco! And a state attorney general! She's got my vote!" Experience is rarely the deciding factor. If it were, Democrats like Jimmy Carter, Bill Clinton and Obama never would have been nominated, much less elected. And voters in the Midwest care about jobs and the economy, not whether someone was a smart lawyer. If Harris wants to be president, she'll need to convince voters in Ohio, Michigan and Wisconsin that she's the one best able to bring them good jobs, fair wages and a decent living. Maybe she is the best one, and maybe she'll be able to do that, but it seems like a tough sell.

by Anonymousreply 476December 30, 2018 5:04 PM

R475, Who knows if any of the bizarre, lurid rumors floating around the internet (LSA) re Harris are true or totally false. However I've never seen any similar ones about any other female politician liking to party except for HRC, Sarah Palin, or Gavin Newsom's ex-wife/Don Jr's current gal pal. Amy K has more of a Conservative, Mid Western appeal.

by Anonymousreply 477December 30, 2018 5:24 PM

R477 It's on her Wikipedia page that she 'dated Willie Brown'... who is married.

"In 1993, she started dating California Speaker of the Assembly Willie Brown, who introduced her to many powerful individuals in the California and Sacramento political and campaign management establishment."

Maybe her staff need to force Wikipedia to remove that tidbit about screwing old men to get jobs.

by Anonymousreply 478December 30, 2018 6:46 PM

What is LSA?

by Anonymousreply 479December 30, 2018 7:09 PM

[quote] [R474] How about how Harris got to where she is by being the girlfriend of a married man 30 years her senior who looks like a toad? How feminist is that?

What does feminism have to do with it? A white man with the same experience and qualifications as Harris would be the frontrunner. No one ever questions the legitimacy of a white man's credentials or experience, even when he has none.

by Anonymousreply 480December 30, 2018 8:07 PM

R479, LSA is LipstickAlley, a forum designed solely for upwardly mobile, educated Black women. Warning, some of the posters are unfortunately homophobic. However there are discussions comparable to DL that are interesting and informative.

LSA's definitely anti-Trump so I was curious to uncover their views of Beto, Harris, and the other currently leading Democratic contenders.

by Anonymousreply 481December 30, 2018 8:14 PM

R480, Perhaps there are White men that have slept with married, much older partners to get a solid political career. However it doesn't show up on their Wiki pages. Nor are there rumors all over the internet that they accompanied their married lovers to drug-fueled swing parties where they were regularly filmed. It's not yet been disclosed who still has copies of those X-rated movies.

by Anonymousreply 482December 30, 2018 8:18 PM

R14 Sinema likes pussy. I don't think the country is ready for an out bi-sexual president yet. Though some would say we have already had them........

by Anonymousreply 483December 30, 2018 8:21 PM

What does LSA think of Beto R481?

by Anonymousreply 484December 30, 2018 8:23 PM

"Once in love with Amy, always in love with Amy..."

by Anonymousreply 485December 30, 2018 8:24 PM

[quote][R474] How about how Harris got to where she is by being the girlfriend of a married man 30 years her senior who looks like a toad? How feminist is that?

No one gives a shit about your Bernie Bro smearing tactic. We are not stupid here, you know.

by Anonymousreply 486December 30, 2018 8:27 PM

Frankly, Kamala Harris is a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 487December 30, 2018 11:48 PM

No, R487, but thanks for exposing your hypocritical sexist misogyny.

by Anonymousreply 488December 30, 2018 11:57 PM

R484, LSA appears so far to have mixed reactions and some skepticism re Beto but overall seem to prefer him to the other Democratic contenders. There are those who see him as Obama 2.0 and believe he can win over Trump, their #1 top goal. Like on DL there's a debate if he's too heavily backed by the corporate world.

Overall many on LSA, especially those who are not recent immigrants, believe Open Borders means much more competition for jobs and low-income housing for Blacks. Likewise Kamala Harris is seen as a Californian who favors "Browns" over "Blacks." Being 1/4 Jamaican does not mean that she understands the struggles of Black-Americans in the view of some LSA posters. I'm sure it doesn't help that her husband is 100% White and there's a definite anti-"swirling" viewpoint on LSA. Pres Obama would not have been so strongly favored if his wife were White or Asian rather than 100% Black.

Please understand that the above are definitely NOT my views but the general impression I get from reading on LSA. I like to broaden my perspective of the world by reading on many different forums whether or not I agree with what's being discussed.

by Anonymousreply 489December 31, 2018 12:03 AM

R484, Personally I've long, long wondered why the DNC did not scrutinize the top law and business schools for the brightest and the most personable minority graduates, offering a realistic road and financial/fund raising guidance to a political career.

by Anonymousreply 490December 31, 2018 12:08 AM

Thanks R489

-R484

Beto has a lot of good things going for him. I am concerned about his lack of experience and I do think with all the trouble in the world we need somebody who can kick ass, not somebody like Obama who was IMHO too chicken shittingshitting himself to unload the full offense towards Putin.

I do think Beto can win this thing though, he's got the goods. I said this in another thread; the dems need to appoint somebody to take down the Bernorbusters and expose them for the hypocrites they are. Shed some light on Bernie's Russia connections. Beto can't do this because it would hurt his appeal to the youngsters. It needs to be somebody who is a contender but who clearly won't be able to win the primaries. The dems need to work together to weaken them. Take the wind out of their sails. Success in 2020 will depend a lot on whether they can silence the Berners and the toxic hard lefties.

by Anonymousreply 491December 31, 2018 12:37 AM

The Berners are really going after Beto big time on Twitter and other places online.

They really, really want to lose this thing again, don't they?

by Anonymousreply 492December 31, 2018 2:19 AM

They really do, R492.

by Anonymousreply 493December 31, 2018 2:23 AM

I think, so far, the media is doing a good job of calling out Bernie's campaign to discredit Beto. I hope they keep it up. That's good news that the LSA ladies are open to Beto.

by Anonymousreply 494December 31, 2018 5:55 AM

Haha. Bernie is going to get the Hillary treatment from the media in favor of Beto this time around. Bye Bernie.

by Anonymousreply 495December 31, 2018 10:34 PM

Why hasn't anybody suggested a Beto/Duckworth combo yet.

by Anonymousreply 496December 31, 2018 11:51 PM

People won't vote for a woman with no legs for VP or president.

by Anonymousreply 497December 31, 2018 11:53 PM

They have thrown that one out there. I think that most of us like her.

by Anonymousreply 498December 31, 2018 11:54 PM

I agree with R431.

I have little doubt it will be Beto/Harris .

I am still confused what Liz Warren is doing. I guess she's catnip ?

by Anonymousreply 499January 1, 2019 12:40 AM

Warren will detract from the other women running. A white guy will get the nomination. Count on it. He'll take one of the loser women Senators as VP.

by Anonymousreply 500January 1, 2019 1:10 AM

I also think a Beto/Harris ticket is most likely outcome, but we will se.

by Anonymousreply 501January 1, 2019 1:28 AM

I think we are the only place on the internet that has a Tammy Duckworth troll.

by Anonymousreply 502January 1, 2019 1:31 AM

We also have an Eric Swalwell troll R502.

by Anonymousreply 503January 1, 2019 7:29 PM

r431, if Beto wins the nomination, he deserves to be on top of the ticket; he's earned it. Same with Harris if she does. There won't be any "flipping of candidates" to her if he wins and vice versa, that's not the way it works.

by Anonymousreply 504January 1, 2019 7:33 PM

Is Beto said to have voted along GOP lines on some issues?

by Anonymousreply 505January 1, 2019 7:36 PM

R505 those were accusations by Bernie supporters. Jonathan Allen of NBC News analyzed all Beto's votes after the BernieBros made that claim. Beto voted 30% with the GOP - so did Sherrod Brown, mostly on procedural votes. Beto also frequently didn't vote on the bullshit, meaningless votes. He also voted to the left of most Democrats on a number of votes.

by Anonymousreply 506January 1, 2019 9:45 PM

Older, wiser, more experienced woman of color (Harris) running as VP to young white less experienced male (Beto) is poor optics for Democrats. Not the look we need for 2020.

by Anonymousreply 507January 6, 2019 5:59 PM

[quote] Jonathan Allen of NBC News analyzed all Beto's votes after the BernieBros made that claim. Beto voted 30% with the GOP - so did Sherrod Brown, mostly on procedural votes.

The Young Turks were doing a hatchet job on Beto. A video was titled "Beto O'Rourke is a Fraud" and they said, we're not attacking Beto, just listing the facts. Yup,, A title with Fraud in it isn't attacking, yup....The fact that he voted for oil interests makes sense as he lives in Texas whereas Bernie voted against gun control because he lives in a gun-loving state. A day later, he changed it to "Should the Progressives reconsider Beto?"

I don't think Beto is interested in running for POTUS. I think he will stay in Texas, maybe run for another Senate seat or Governorship.

by Anonymousreply 508January 6, 2019 6:09 PM

Probably end up being Biden/Harris.

by Anonymousreply 509January 6, 2019 6:09 PM

I'm all in for Harris. Biden would win most easily but fuck him. He's not a liberal and he has real problems in the primary

by Anonymousreply 510January 6, 2019 6:16 PM

A minority woman on top of the ticket won't win.

by Anonymousreply 511January 6, 2019 6:20 PM

People said for over a year a Black man would never become president. I remember people saying it at my house election at the gathering we were hosting.

by Anonymousreply 512January 6, 2019 6:23 PM

I'm beginning to lean towards Biden/Beto.

Basically, I think Joe will know how to undue so much of the damage and will be able to hit the ground running. He alone has that kind of experience.

And Beto will be included that no other Vice President. Biden would have to promise that. If so, I could vote for the two of them gladly.

by Anonymousreply 513January 6, 2019 6:29 PM

R512, did you not live during 2016?

I want to win. No woman on top of the ticket and I speak this as a woman.

by Anonymousreply 514January 6, 2019 6:36 PM

Trump got 80,000 votes across three important and that;s why he won. All that dems need to flip is 80,000 votes or win AZ or NC or GA or Florida. You fools pretending he scored some overwhelming victory and is invincible now do more to prop him up than any right wing trolls

by Anonymousreply 515January 6, 2019 6:39 PM

I love Stacey Abrams and really don't like Kamala Harris (she is my Senator in fact), talking about women of color. I find Harris totally unpleasant whenever I see her talk (nasal voice, prosecutorial manner). Her positions are good but everybody has the same positions among the Dems more or less, and voters don't vote on policy positions, with rare exceptions like pro-abortion and keeping ACA, in national elections. Mostly people vote based onthe likability of the presidential candidate and have for a long time (why Reagan and GW Bush won for example and partly why Hillary Clinton was not popular with many voters--I was a Clinton voter in 2016. I admired but didn't particularly like her).

I think Beto should be at the top of the ticket because he's young, vigorous, likable, plain-spoken but articulate and not considered a Washington insider. Plus, you'd assume he'd bring a lot of Texas electoral votes. I guess Harris would make the best VP being a "woman of color" from a big state. I think the Dems would be foolish putting a woman at the top of the ticket again (although I really like Warren). Getting a Democratic president and winning the EC is the most important thing. We need to forget all the social justice issues re the top of the ticket at least for this election and WIN so we can get that evil orange POS out, out, out and throw out McConnell and his crooked cronies as well (By the way, I am a middle aged white woman FWIW).

by Anonymousreply 516January 6, 2019 6:40 PM

No Biden.

No Bernie.

No Bloomberg.

These are my only criteria at the moment. I will heartily support anyone else.

by Anonymousreply 517January 6, 2019 6:43 PM

I'm down with R517

by Anonymousreply 518January 6, 2019 6:44 PM

Florida, DLers. If we want to win in 20 - we need a democrat who carries Florida.

Electoral College is what wins. We have to remember that painful lesson from 2000 and 2016.

by Anonymousreply 519January 6, 2019 7:01 PM

No one believed a black man could win in 2008, let alone in 2007.

No one believed an old ineffectual senator could throw a wrench into the Democratic primary in 2016.

by Anonymousreply 520January 6, 2019 7:57 PM

Sherrod Brown will be more of a factor than most of you think. He'll do better than Biden in the midwest, except for PA. Voters like new faces, and this would be the third time that Biden has run.

In the end, the final 3 will be Beto, Brown and Harris. Beto will be the young, charismatic choice. Brown will be the older, white establishment favorite. Harris will be the favorite among black voters. Ultimately, I see Beto as the favorite to put together the biggest coalition and raise the most money.

by Anonymousreply 521January 6, 2019 8:05 PM

LOL and Beto was kissing up to the BernieBros and doing accommodating interviews on TYT in 2016. I hope he has learned some lessons. He was a superdelegate and during TYT interview he indicated that he only reluctantly voted for Hillary.

I think for now he is just too naive and too much with the stupid new lefties on certain things and he will be worse than Obama who let Putin run roughshod over him.

Too bad because otherwise I really like him and he would be a great candidate.

by Anonymousreply 522January 6, 2019 8:09 PM

[quote]I'm beginning to lean towards Biden/Beto.

A Democratic ticket of two white males is a non-starter. Women just won the House and state houses across the country and women are just plain fucking sick of being ignored. We're done. If you put Biden, the leader of the committee attacks on Anita Hill, sufferer of foot in mouth disease, and generational sexist who likes to touch women a little too much and will probably refer to a female candidate as 'little lady' at more than one point during the primaries, you're fucking nuts.

Same goes for Bernie. And, the person above is right about Beto, too. If you put a young, inexperienced white male on top of a more experienced woman on the ticket, your optics will kill you because every single woman over 35 has had a less experienced white male promoted above them and probably had to train them to boot. Most women will just swallow the bullshit again like good little doormats but some of them won't. It will depend on how big that 'some' number is but there is no way two white males are going anywhere as the Democratic ticket because the entire story will be 'Two white males, again? After women won the House and Pelosi lead the takedown of Trump? Really?"

by Anonymousreply 523January 6, 2019 8:11 PM

What R523 said.

It was women who organized the march on Washington in 2017 in response to trump's election.

by Anonymousreply 524January 6, 2019 8:14 PM

R523 A non-starter with whom? It might not be the ideal with the party that just pulled off the biggest election upset in 40 years. But, to win a *national election* where we have to pull white suburban women, african americans, and latinos and yes - white men - we can't play democratic party gender politics and market candidates who appeal just to us.

that's one of the reasons we lost in 2016. Hillary was toxic as hell to republicans. Bernie is toxic to republicans. Obama was *not* toxic to republicans, just to Fox News. Shoot to the center, people. Win the Senate, win the White House. Expand our hold on Congress. PLAY LONG BALL

by Anonymousreply 525January 6, 2019 8:14 PM

What I am reacting to is the outright dismissal of women candidates before they got a chance to enter the race and express their voice. Does that make sense, R525?

by Anonymousreply 526January 6, 2019 8:17 PM

The Biden/Beto thinking is pairing an older more statesmanlike leader with a younger firebrand type. It is trying to recreate the electoral magic that was Romney/Ryan.

by Anonymousreply 527January 6, 2019 8:23 PM

R525 has it right. After Hillary's stunning defeat, I'm seeing zero interest among my friends for another female candidate at the top of the ticket. You have no idea how sexist men are right now, and that includes young men and minority men.

by Anonymousreply 528January 6, 2019 8:26 PM

R512, Obama was very lucky to be running against a Republican candidate with many, many negatives. That was before both he and his wife made public gaffes.

Definitely need a minority and/or female candidate as VP. Biden as either POTUS or VP would be a golden gift to the GOP. Just ask the DC Press Corps.

by Anonymousreply 529January 6, 2019 8:26 PM

[quote] What I am reacting to is the outright dismissal of women candidates before they got a chance to enter the race and express their voice.

Fine. But then you should also have a problem with the outright dismissal of male candidates like O'Rourke, Biden, Bloomberg and Sanders before they get a chance to enter the race and express their voice.

by Anonymousreply 530January 6, 2019 8:27 PM

As much as I'd like to see a diverse ticket (hell, I'd love to see an openly gay person on the ticket), more than anything I'd like to see us win. If there's a woman at the top of the ticket, she had better be one who is strong in crucial Midwest states like Ohio, Michigan, and Wisconsin. Amy Klobuchar seems to be the potential female candidate best suited for that. And she had better have the personality and charisma needed to win (an area where Klobuchar is weak).

I'm already seeing people on DL saying, "Forget this bullshit about personality and charisma! What we need is someone smart with lots of experience!" I've seen us take that approach countless times before (Mondale, Dukakis, Gore, Kerry, Hillary), and it always leads to the same outcome: losing.

I'd rather we win with a ticket of two men than lose trying to make a statement about how it's a woman's turn to be president.

by Anonymousreply 531January 6, 2019 8:36 PM

R521, Harris will be the favorite among Black voters? What exactly has she done for Blacks in CA? LSA posters who want to get rid of Trump like yesterday clearly prefer Beto over Harris. The latter is seen as being very pro open immigration which helps Hispanics to the detriment of most Blacks. I warn you that immigration will be a big factor in 2020 especially among White voters in the South and the Mid West.

Being a woman, I do not necessarily automatically vote for or against a woman. However I will NEVER vote for a woman who blames my choices for her loss. Successful women politicians in the past (shout out to the very articulate ones from TX like Barbara Jordan) would NEVER have dared to make such a condescending statement. Likewise it's extremely insulting to assume Blacks will vote for a mixed race woman married to a White man.

by Anonymousreply 532January 6, 2019 8:37 PM

[quote]You have no idea how sexist men are right now, and that includes young men and minority men.

Unfortunately true, I would love great women like Abrams, Klobuchar, Harris and Duckworth on the ticket but misogyny is running wild now and more so than 20 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 533January 6, 2019 8:39 PM

We're living in wild times right now. The racial and gender dynamics are so unpredictable under Trump. I thought all of this was settled after 8 years of Obama, but it's more volatile than ever. None of us have any idea how things are going to shake out in the primary or general. The next two years are going to be fascinating, that's for sure.

by Anonymousreply 534January 6, 2019 8:47 PM

R525 They'll have to earn their way. The hard damn truth is white men truth other men. Look, they voted for *trump* - a goddamn lunatic. They voted in their own primaries for Trump over other men and women who may have actually been qualified for President. We better digest what we're up against.

My opinion is we need to structure a ticket that wins the 9 key electoral college states. We need candidates from the upper Midwest and from Florida because those are the pivot points for the election. Take out the areas that went to Trump, spin the election back. Put on at least one retired military officer, preferably one of the generals who just left the administration and you cover any GOP concerns about defense weakness, which is always an issue with Democrats.

What we do downticket with more progressive candidates in the Senate, State Houses, Governorships and Congress is important because of the 2020 census and redistricting. But not blowing the Presidential because we blindly want a female President is way more important than giving Trump another 4 years.

by Anonymousreply 535January 6, 2019 8:47 PM

[quote] do downticket with more progressive candidates in the Senate, State Houses, Governorships and Congress is important because of the 2020 census and redistricting. But not blowing the Presidential because we blindly want a female President is way more important than giving Trump another 4 years.

Agree with this. The Dems lose because we didn't think long-tern strategically like the GOP has done. They were able to install their choices locally to gerrymander the fuck out of States; they've stacked the Supreme Court with their conservative picks. To cater to minorities and be politically correct when it comes to the POTUS ticket is folly.

I don't like Biden too much but he will remind people of the Obama years, he has the experience and he knows how to fight. I would prefer Beto but I don't know if he would be a strong enough to fight for his policies, that's why he's better as VP. Don't remind me of Bernie, I hate the guy, his followers are just too hard-line, they have ideal visions but don't offer a plan on how to get there. Plus, I don't think Bernie appeals to the huge Hispanic and Black voters like Beto can. Bernie's appeal is the Youth Vote which is why his followers see Beto as a threat.

by Anonymousreply 536January 6, 2019 8:59 PM

Dems have to work on statehouses in 2020. They only seem to pay attention to Congress and the White House. There are twice as many GOP Governors as Democrats and Bernie supporters think if Bernie's President, they'll remake the country whereas the GOP governors are doing that.

by Anonymousreply 537January 6, 2019 10:02 PM

[quote]I don't think Beto is interested in running for POTUS. I think he will stay in Texas, maybe run for another Senate seat or Governorship.

The rest of your comment was informative and great, r508, I have no idea why you ended it with this. Of COURSE Beto is running. I don’t think anyone still thinks he isn’t.

by Anonymousreply 538January 6, 2019 10:16 PM

I think David Axelrod and others on the team that ran Obama's campaign in 2008 have approached Beto about running his presidential campaign, at least I read that somewhere. So there are some pretty good people who take him pretty seriously as a 2020 Presidential contender.

by Anonymousreply 539January 6, 2019 10:20 PM

Well, he said his plan wasn't going to run for POTUS before the election.....but I do notice that he's been posting A LOT from his Twitter account, addressing recent Trump shenanigans. So who knows. He hasn't declared yet and it could be for governor.

I heard that Biden was hurt that Obama and Axelrod went to speak with Beto. I think the Dems are keeping all options opened considering what happened in 2016 when the Hilary machine ran over anyone who challenged her. I really thought Biden had a chance then.. There are factors to be concerned when it comes to Biden - his age, the Anita Hill affair and his "handsy" photos with women.

by Anonymousreply 540January 6, 2019 11:12 PM

R540, Biden's blatant, constant molestation of many, many children and young teen girls in front of their upscale parents has been repeatedly recorded by the news media and circulated online. He's invited countless kids to his private office under the guise of a modelling/acting career. Why does anyone on DL think that this pedo has even a tiny chance at becoming POTUS?

By contrast Beto is always very professional when greeting potential voters of all ages and races, and appears to be a superb listener. Many Americans seek a charming, positive, motivating president given a choice.

by Anonymousreply 541January 6, 2019 11:31 PM

I'm so old I remember when Biden got caught out plagiarizing a speech by Neil Kinnock. How fucking pathetic do you have to be to plagiarize Kinnock?

by Anonymousreply 542January 7, 2019 12:35 AM

What r523rd said. Women are the key to the Democratic candidate winning in 2020.

by Anonymousreply 543January 7, 2019 3:34 AM

R 543 the majority of white women ALWAYS vote for the Republican. Pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 544January 7, 2019 3:39 AM

Do some of you not remember that there was fucking cheating in 2016? That the three states that made the difference in 2016 were most likely stolen by vote hacking and were the only places in the country where the outcomes didn't match the exit polls? Do you remember the difference in those three states was a mere 80,000? Do you remember that that unelectable and hated female candidate got three million more votes? Do you remember what happened in the primaries? Did you happen to see the face of the new Congress that was just seated?

Just stop with the "female candidates just can't win so let's put up two white guys again", because it's bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 545January 7, 2019 3:43 AM

[quote] Just stop with the "female candidates just can't win so let's put up two white guys again", because it's bullshit.

It's not that female candidates can't win. It's that the potential female candidates mentioned so far all seem to be problematic and lacking in one or more of the areas necessary to win. Of course, that may change, and nobody is suggesting that they not be allowed to run and make their case. But I don't understand the quota argument that says "We MUST have a woman on the ticket" or the argument that Democratic women won't vote if the ticket doesn't include a woman. That only feeds into the GOP's bogus argument that all Democrats care about is identity politics and political correctness. Why not select the best candidate possible, regardless of whether that person is male or female? What's wrong with running two white guys, if those white guys happen to best the best choices and the ones most likely to win?

by Anonymousreply 546January 7, 2019 5:50 AM

R546, you are a white guy, aren't you?

by Anonymousreply 547January 7, 2019 5:53 AM

Agree with R546. Stop with this politically correct bullshit that a woman must be on the ticket. I am a minority woman and I just want the best candidate WHO WILL WIN. I don't want to relive 2016 all over again and no more Trump or GOP.

The Majority of white women voted for Trump and got him elected so the female thing doesn't matter to them. I agree that minority women are a bigger influence recently but there's still too much misogyny in the world, even among the Bernie Bros (if you read the recent sexual harassment complaints from women in his camp).

I want to win and I don't see any female candidate worthy to be at the top of the ticket. To influence the minority and female vote, then I could see a white male at the top with a minority female as VP like Biden/Harris.

by Anonymousreply 548January 7, 2019 5:59 AM

so what if R547 is a white male? Treat others as you would want to be treated

by Anonymousreply 549January 7, 2019 6:01 AM

[quote]R543 the majority of white women ALWAYS vote for the Republican. Pathetic.

And the huge, huge majority of white males vote Repug no matter what yet we are told over and over and over that Democrats need to find a way to appeal to white, working class men. Fuck that. All women are trending toward Democrats and away from Trumpism and the Repug party. But, the obvious answer is to put two white males on the ticket because, ya know, when it's white men it's just rational, when it is a woman or minority, it's identity politics. Uh huh.

by Anonymousreply 550January 7, 2019 6:02 AM

[quote] you are a white guy, aren't you?

Yes, I am. And please go ahead and accuse me of being misogynist and sexist, which I know you will. Go ahead and tell me that I hate all women. I can take it.

Honestly, I think Amy Klobuchar is the strongest of all of the Democratic candidates, male or female, mentioned so far, and I l would love nothing more than to see her become our next president. I think her experience, decency and level-headedness would be the perfect answer to 4 years of Trump. But realistically, I have reservations about her ability to fire up the base and inspire large crowds, which makes her problematic in my mind. But I'd love to see her prove me wrong. I think Elizabeth Warren would be a disaster as a candidate. As for Kamala Harris, I'm not crazy about her, because I don't think a Californian is a wise choice, but again, I'd be happy to see her prove me wrong.

by Anonymousreply 551January 7, 2019 6:05 AM

It matters that a poster professing the lack of viable candidates that aren't white males is a white male because latent sexism shows itself through two ways:

1. Seeing white and male as the default and everyone else as other or outsider

2. The bullshit of holding those others and outsiders to higher standards

If we keep accepting this as true and rational, it will never change. It needs to be acknowledged. The 2018 midterms had a lesson to teach and people aren't learning it.

by Anonymousreply 552January 7, 2019 6:07 AM

[quote] What I am reacting to is the outright dismissal of women candidates before they got a chance to enter the race and express their voice.

[quote] Fine. But then you should also have a problem with the outright dismissal of male candidates like O'Rourke, Biden, Bloomberg and Sanders before they get a chance to enter the race and express their voice.

I have no problem with O'Rourke, Biden, Bloomberg and Sanders entering the race. Where did you see me say the opposite?

Don't be a prick.

by Anonymousreply 553January 7, 2019 6:16 AM

[quote] 1. Seeing white and male as the default and everyone else as other or outsider

{quote] 2. The bullshit of holding those others and outsiders to higher standards

I am not doing either of those things, R552, so stop with your bullshit. I am holding the female candidates to the SAME STANDARD as men, which seems to upset you. I think Warren would be a disaster as a candidate because she's a Massachusetts liberal who is more popular among the cultural elite than ordinary voters, in the same style as fellow Massachusetts liberals Dukakis and Kerry (who, last time I checked, are both men and both lost). I would say the same thing about a male Massachusetts candidate who was lacking in the same qualities. I wish we had more female candidates from the Midwest or the South rather than from bright blue coastal states (which is one of the reasons that I think Amy Klobuchar could be a real contender).

by Anonymousreply 554January 7, 2019 6:17 AM

r519, I think Florida is lost for the time being. The Repukes just know too many ways to cheat to win it every damn time.

by Anonymousreply 555January 7, 2019 2:38 PM

We need to get rid of Trump. Whoever can do that, I'm voting for. I'm not voting for a candidate because it's a woman, or a POC, or gay, I'm voting for the person who can beat Trump.

by Anonymousreply 556January 7, 2019 2:57 PM

I agree r556; I think that should be our NUMBER ONE goal in this next election, getting rid of Trump (assuming that's who we are still up against in 2020). And I think we should assume that will be the case, and not count on Mueller or Pelosi to get rid of him for us. We may very well have to do this job for ourselves in the end.

by Anonymousreply 557January 7, 2019 3:20 PM

Biden is leaning towards demanding the nomination.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 558January 7, 2019 5:09 PM

Biden's a doddering old man. He won't impress on stage with Trump. Neither will Bernie. Enough of the 80 year olds. It needs to be a youngish guy.

by Anonymousreply 559January 7, 2019 7:04 PM

Trump would look like a fat, old cuck next to Beto. He knows it, too, and that's why he's terrified of him.

by Anonymousreply 560January 7, 2019 7:32 PM

[quote] [R519], I think Florida is lost for the time being. The Repukes just know too many ways to cheat to win it every damn time.

FL just restored voting rights for ex-felons. FL is in play.

by Anonymousreply 561January 8, 2019 1:13 AM

R560, Agreed. Why is the NY Times pushing Biden? "Mr. Biden’s enthusiasts are also quick to note that he is not just popular with white working-class voters, but is also well-liked among African-Americans and millennials."

Sure he has top national name recognition but that doesn't necessarily transfer to voter support. The poll emailed to me by the DNC was extremely biased pro-Biden.

by Anonymousreply 562January 8, 2019 1:29 AM

Biden is a terrible idea. Why does he think that now is his time? He never got far either of the other times he ran for the nomination. I liked him fine as Vice President to Obama but I really think he's just too old for the top spot at this point; it's time for him (and Bernie and anybody else over 70) to give way to a new generation of leadership.

Like Beto.

by Anonymousreply 563January 8, 2019 1:34 AM

Biden is already a three time loser. He has so much baggage it's unreal. He will NOT excite people and motivate them to the ballot box.

by Anonymousreply 564January 8, 2019 2:00 AM

R564, Agreed. So WHY is the NY Times pushing Biden so hard? WHY do they think he'll appeal to millenials and minority voters? How can they ignore women of all ages and races given the wide expose by the DC press corps across the internet? Betting Biden would be Trump's #1 choice as an opponent in 2020.

by Anonymousreply 565January 8, 2019 2:40 AM

Beto's energy and enthusiastic campaign style will blow the rest of the field away. He's a force of nature. Biden and Sanders are too old to keep up with him.

The main reason we lost in 2016 was because Hillary was a lazy campaigner. She literally disappeared for an entire month after she accepted the nomination at the convention.

by Anonymousreply 566January 8, 2019 2:47 AM

Biden worked hard as a senator and VP. It shows, sadly. Please I hope he just decides to sit it out. I'm grateful he served.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 567January 8, 2019 3:09 AM

Someone else is announcing this week, but I forgot who. They said it on the 538 podcast today.

by Anonymousreply 568January 8, 2019 3:11 AM

[quote]The main reason we lost in 2016 was because Hillary was a lazy campaigner.

Okay, this false bullshit needs to die. Now.

No, the only reason we "lost" in 2016 is because of a convergence of several things all at once: The Comey Letter, Russian hacking & propaganda, sexist double-standards, and unprecidented GOP Voter Suppression, combined with Bernie knee-capping her constantly. The confluence of ALL these things was required to steal the election from Hillary... and it was very much stolen. If any ONE of these things hadn't happened (especially the Comey letter), Hillary would have one. Period.

Stop slandering Hillary with lies that she was a bad candidate or a lazy campaigner. Neither are true. They are provably false assertions. Just stop.

by Anonymousreply 569January 8, 2019 3:18 AM

R568, it's that twin who was Secretary of labor. Julian Castro.

by Anonymousreply 570January 8, 2019 4:14 AM

Harris

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 571January 8, 2019 4:28 AM

Castro was Secretary of HUD for a couple of years and did diddly squat which is why Hillary passed on him as Veep. He thinks because he delivered the keynote address at a Dem Convention like Obama had done, he's Obama the Sequel. He isn't.

by Anonymousreply 572January 8, 2019 4:30 AM

Yeah, I was hopeful about Julian Castro... but he's been a consistent disappointment.

by Anonymousreply 573January 8, 2019 4:54 AM

R554, I'm not specifically addressing you alone. If you want to see an example of what I am talking about look at R559. Don't pretend that "No women!" and "We need a white dude!" are not common refrains here and elsewhere and, for the most part, they are coming from white males. The women aren't going around saying that. They'll say that they'll vote for whomever will beat Trump. Like I said, we are used to putting ourselves down for the greater good. It is white males who are insisting it be a white male and don't even bother to hedge by saying 'whomever will be Trump!' Let's not pretend it is otherwise against all concrete proof.

And I'd love nothing more than a Klobuchar/O'Rourke ticket. I repeated that exact combo in all the threads about the topic. I think Beto will look way too inexperienced and child-like on a national stage. He's not there yet. Eight years as VP will get him there.

by Anonymousreply 574January 8, 2019 5:53 AM

I think you're underestimating Beto.

by Anonymousreply 575January 8, 2019 6:10 AM

I like Beto. What is his foreign policy experience? Has he even ever spoken about foreign policy other than having to do with Mexico? The next president will have to be respected around the world and fix our relationships with every single country while also dealing with the fires Trump has started everywhere. I find if very difficult to picture O'Rourke on the world stage after seeing him skateboarding around a parking lot a few months ago.

by Anonymousreply 576January 8, 2019 6:21 AM

Biden’s ego is gross. “I’m the best chance the Democrats have!” Fuck you, old man.

by Anonymousreply 577January 8, 2019 6:30 AM

If there are two white people on the ticket, one of them HAS to be a woman. Better with one person of color and a white.

by Anonymousreply 578January 8, 2019 6:33 AM

And, R577, don't forget that part where Biden also dissed all the other possible Democratic nominees by saying that he didn't think any of the other possible nominees could beat Trump. Fuck him.

by Anonymousreply 579January 8, 2019 6:33 AM

R577, R579, Given the choice between a politician with a healthy ego and one that consistently puts down his competitors without a valid reason, I'd always pick the former. Why I disliked the NY Times article for being to out of touch with the voters of today. Would the DNC really be solidly backing Biden for POTUS?

by Anonymousreply 580January 8, 2019 6:45 AM

R576 I know that you like him because you had already said that, and I like Amy. Honestly, most people that win that office are not fully prepared for it, it's an extremely challenging job, that's why people that become president age so quickly right before our eyes. Beto is my personal preference, but I will support whomever wins, no doubt about that. I'm not wild about the skateboarding videos, but I think that they work for him, he does a lot of stuff that I think makes him very relatable. Just watch some of the videos from his campaign stops during the senate campaign. People LOVE him. That's why I kind of bristle when people try to put him in the VP slot. Sure, it would be a great thing for whoever's at the top of the ticket to have Beto as your VP, but it would be such a waste of him. Biden has already offered that to him, albeit for selfish reasons. All that we can do is support our candidates of choice, go vote in the primaries, and let the chips fall where they may. But I have no doubt that whoever gets that nomination will surround themselves with truly competent people that will actually give them good council that will help him or her make good policy decisions.

by Anonymousreply 581January 8, 2019 7:08 AM

[quote]Beto's energy and enthusiastic campaign style will blow the rest of the field away.

Maybe, but he lacks experience, esp in foreign policy. I was listening to some discussion between him and foreign policy experts the other day. I think it was on his fb page, I could only listen to the audio because I am not on fb.

Anyway he came across utterly naive and unprepared to lead any discussions on Russia/Ukraine, China, North Korea, Iran, Syria, let alone be the commander in chief when an international crisis happens and those bullies start provoking. I don't think he has a lot of experience with foreign policy, not even sure he was ever involved in anything like that while he was a congress man for his tiny district in Texas.

That said I like him a lot, I think he is great and probably could be a great VP, but he isn't ready to take on the top job yet.

Biden and Klobuchar (or Harris or Abrams) could be a great team. Beto isn't ready yet and putting him in the White House in volatile times like this could be an absolute disaster.

by Anonymousreply 582January 8, 2019 7:21 AM

[quote] Maybe, but he lacks experience, esp in foreign policy.

Can we be honest for a minute?

1. Voters don't give a shit about experience. In fact, experience is usually a liability. The three Democratic winners we've had in the past half-century (Jimmy Carter, Bill Clinton, and Barack Obama) were all considerably less experienced than most of their rivals, especially when it came to foreign policy. If experience mattered to voters, candidates like Mondale or Gore or Kerry would have been big winners. And on the Republican side, Dole and McCain would have won.

2. Voters don't give a shit about foreign policy, unless the U.S. is at war or on the verge of war. Sad but true. It doesn't matter if Beto doesn't know much about Ukraine or Syria because most voters couldn't even locate them on a map. Voters care about jobs and the economy and health care.

I think we can get away with nominating someone who is lacking in foreign policy experience, as long as he/she surrounds him/herself with experienced people and shows a willingness to learn quickly. Obama's successful run in 2008 showed that it's best for a "rock star" candidate to run while he's still shiny and new and not wait 4 or 8 years until he has more experience.

by Anonymousreply 583January 8, 2019 7:46 AM

Statistically the following considerations are relevant: How many of the leading candidates are Freemasons or Masons? Are any distantly related by their bloodlines to prior POTUS' or to the British Royal Family? Do any of them have RH Negative blood? What's the number of times each has vacationed at Bohemian Grove?

There are other factors experts with a lot of time on their hands have made about all previous US Presidents.

by Anonymousreply 584January 8, 2019 8:19 AM

Oh bullshit r574, Beto will be 48 in 2020, there is NOTHING childlike about him. And Amy Klobuchar is a total BORE, she will never win the nomination.

by Anonymousreply 585January 8, 2019 1:54 PM

Presidents defer to the experts they hire to handle foreign policy, including the generals. That's the way it should be done. The last thing we need is another ideologue like Cheney with a hardcore foreign policy doctrine making decisions.

by Anonymousreply 586January 8, 2019 4:48 PM

Regarding Beto, a critical part of being a "rock star" is winning. How does a losing candidate for U.S. Senate become a winning candidate for President in just 2 years?

by Anonymousreply 587January 8, 2019 6:31 PM

...decided in 2020.

by Anonymousreply 588January 8, 2019 6:33 PM

R587 any Democrat who can come within 2.5% of flipping a Senate seat in Texas DID win.

by Anonymousreply 589January 8, 2019 6:45 PM

Who cares. I'll vote for a democratic wombat at this point.

by Anonymousreply 590January 8, 2019 6:52 PM

R589, Trump lost NY and NJ. Hillary lost Arkansas. Romney lost MA.

It's about nominating a candidate who can appeal to the most voters nationwide.

by Anonymousreply 591January 8, 2019 8:41 PM

Here's a little Kamala for us.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 592January 8, 2019 11:36 PM

Slightly worried Beto will be soft on Russia given his Ukraine votes. VP would be great maybe. But perhaps someone more wary of Russia as President this time around. Harris maybe? She seems to be unafraid to call out bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 593January 9, 2019 12:01 AM

Buttigieg coverage

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 594January 9, 2019 12:09 AM

What about Bernie Sanders? His hometown newspaper in Vermont begged him not to run. Do you think it would split the party again? The Bernie Bros are convinced he'd win the primary and the only one to win against Trump.

by Anonymousreply 595January 9, 2019 12:13 AM

R594, More info. Anyone favor Merkely?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 596January 9, 2019 12:15 AM

Fuck Merkley. He sends me emails every day begging for $. I've never given him a dime, don't live in Oregon and think he's a bore. How did he get my email?

by Anonymousreply 597January 9, 2019 12:19 AM

R597, Never heard of Merkley before finding the above linked article. Just adding that there are other names potentially in the running besides the ones DL always discusses.

by Anonymousreply 598January 9, 2019 12:22 AM

I saw Kamala Harris on with George Stephanopoulis today and damn. I really like her. She would kick trump's ass in a debate. She exudes power. Very self assured very thoughtful, articulate, intelligent. If she runs I'm there.

by Anonymousreply 599January 9, 2019 12:35 AM

Part two please. New poll

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 600January 9, 2019 12:37 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!