Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Have you used "weekend" PrEP successfully?

Weekend PrEP is taking two Truvada pills at least an hour before sex and then taking one pill 24 hours later and then another pill 24 hours later.

I don't want to take PrEP daily and potentially harm my liver. Plus, I don't have that much sex anyway.

I'm a bottom has always been with tops who used condoms, but nowadays, so many tops refuse. I don't think I have a choice but to go on PrEP.

by Anonymousreply 11October 30, 2018 9:25 PM

Of course you have a choice.

Anyone who refuses to put on a condom after you've requested they do isn't worth your time.

by Anonymousreply 1October 30, 2018 6:57 PM

[quote]Weekend PrEP is taking two Truvada pills at least an hour before sex and then taking one pill 24 hours later and then another pill 24 hours later.

The drug was not designed to be used in this fashion.

Not only would its efficacy be questionable, but misuse of drugs has the added problem of contributing to more rapid mutation and adaptation of viruses and infectious diseases.

by Anonymousreply 2October 30, 2018 7:03 PM

THere are some studies that show PrEP used this way can be effective, although not as effective as using it at least 4 times per week.

by Anonymousreply 3October 30, 2018 7:06 PM

[quote]THere are some studies that show PrEP used this way can be effective, although not as effective as using it at least 4 times per week.

The very fact of being on Prep suggests a concern about contracting HIV. Is it really worth the gamble? Given it's relative age, long-term studies are not all that long-term and certainly don't cover a variety of use cases.

While small in number, there are already documented cases of Prep failure. Do you really want to assume they are anomalies, rather than the start of a wider trend in adaptation of a virus that has proven to be quite resilient in treatment?

It may be fine, but if you're concerned, why take the chance that off-label dosage and usage would work?

by Anonymousreply 4October 30, 2018 7:23 PM

R4, it's either start PrEP or become celibate. Tops just don't use condoms much anymore because so many bottoms are on PrEP. There are some older men who still use condoms, but I'd like men more my age (26).

I know the risks of barebacking--the STIs, the PrEP failures, etc. I find that I don't have much of a choice

Ultimately I'd love a husband with whom I can have bareback sex without any medications, but until then...

by Anonymousreply 5October 30, 2018 7:42 PM

OP, you'll consider this a reasonable option if you get more Yes responses than No's? Do you expect someone to answer your question with "Yes I tried it but no it was not successful because I ended up with HIV"?

by Anonymousreply 6October 30, 2018 8:07 PM

R6, I guess I just want to see if people use PrEP this way generally. I've asked my doctor, who is very open. He says it's an option but that Truvada wasn't made to be taken that way.

by Anonymousreply 7October 30, 2018 8:26 PM

I would do that - but also if you end up having condomless sex (which sounds like your plan), you should stay on it for at least 3 weeks after the event.

by Anonymousreply 8October 30, 2018 8:49 PM

I don't need these chemicals because I don't do anal.

And I avoid men who look irresponsible and dirty.

by Anonymousreply 9October 30, 2018 8:56 PM

Define "successfully" OP.

Like "have you used it and not been infected with the HIV virus?

by Anonymousreply 10October 30, 2018 8:59 PM

bitch, just wear a condom.

by Anonymousreply 11October 30, 2018 9:25 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!