Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Vox Lux starring Natalie Portman (Trailer Out) - Is this the popstar movie we need?

Also starring Jude Law. The movie follows very successful pop singer Celeste who, by 2017, is an embattled, scandalized star trying to stage a comeback with her sixth album, a sci-fi-inspired collection of songs titled Vox Lux. The film features original songs by Sia, one of the most effortless pop stars of our time, and an original score by Scott Walker, the experimental legend whose work has spanned various genres. Release date: 12/07/18

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78December 7, 2020 10:26 AM

She dies in the end?

by Anonymousreply 1October 25, 2018 5:06 PM

R1 That's the ending of A Star Is Born, dear

by Anonymousreply 2October 25, 2018 5:16 PM

I used to be a fan but no more. She has no depth. Her performances lack conviction, IMO. Natalie is a photogenic mannequin who poses. I'm sure she'll do a competent job, but this requires someone who can be raw and outrageous, and she parodies as if she were doing an SNL skit. This could have been a great movie if someone else had played the lead.

by Anonymousreply 3October 25, 2018 5:22 PM

Directed by Brady Corbet, who used to be such a cutie pie before he started gaining weight. He's not even that overweight, but he seems to carry most of the fat in his face. Weird.

Here's a before and after pic:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 25, 2018 5:35 PM

OP - you should get a job writing PR releases for movies for placement on message boards and other social media. Your effortless use of the standard tropes and over-zealous laudatory comments, not to mention your just-asking-questions approach would certainly be assets.

Oh wait...

by Anonymousreply 5October 25, 2018 6:06 PM

rooney mara was originally supposed to be in the lead, pity it wasn't her.

Portman in the trailer looks like her SNL rap skits.

by Anonymousreply 6October 25, 2018 6:24 PM

THANK GOD is wasn’t Rooney Mara! Can you imagine that dull patrician cold fish child of privilege trying to portray a *pop star*?!?

That would have been some of the worst and most boring casting of all time....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7October 25, 2018 7:27 PM

I can only buy Natalie Portman when she is playing "bitter". So that's basically just JACKIE. This one looks reasonable.

by Anonymousreply 8October 25, 2018 7:40 PM

R4 His lips are still pretty.

by Anonymousreply 9October 25, 2018 7:43 PM

This trailer is really disconnected and strangely dull given the subject matter, which doesn't bode well for the actual film.

by Anonymousreply 10October 25, 2018 7:45 PM

Nat has been good in some things, like the SW prequels but she is bad in most things.

by Anonymousreply 11October 25, 2018 7:46 PM

Interesting/compelling trailer and concept (and possibly directing?), but Portman is *all* wrong for the role; she comes across as forced and like a kid playing dress up.

That role is way over her head. (And—like I said—dead eyed Rooney Mara would have been even worse).

I like the concept, so I wish thay had cast the correct lead actress.

Who would you guys have cast in the lead role??

I personally would have *loved* to see what Kirsten Dunst would have done with the part; she would have been my top pick.

I could also *possibly* imagine what Saoirse Ronan or even Selena Gomez could have done with the role (and before you all hate me for the Gomez suggestion, please see her performance in “Spring Breakers”—particularly the intense James Franco confrontation scene—before forming a full opinion on her acting abilities).

Anyway, the movie looks like it could have been good, but Natalie just rings so false here...

(Dunst is surprising and versatile and could have really brought the material to the next level).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12October 25, 2018 7:50 PM

It's a mad popstar movie. Not much of a stretch for anyone. There are 10 A/B list actresses who would be better than Portman.

by Anonymousreply 13October 25, 2018 7:54 PM

r12 and Dunst is supposedly close personal pals with Corbet. Wonder why she wasn't considered at least.

by Anonymousreply 14October 25, 2018 7:58 PM

Rooney Mara has autism.

by Anonymousreply 15October 25, 2018 9:14 PM

It'll flop; looks weird. A bit anachronistic / 80s-looking, but not in a nostalgic way.

by Anonymousreply 16October 25, 2018 9:26 PM

most movies and TV shows get the rock milieu all wrong. wonder if this one will be better.

by Anonymousreply 17October 25, 2018 9:38 PM

R5 I copied and pasted from somewhere else, but I appreciate the patronization!

by Anonymousreply 18October 25, 2018 9:40 PM

Her performance in Jackie is horrid. She sounds like Jim Carrey playing Vera De Milo.

by Anonymousreply 19October 25, 2018 9:41 PM

How is her partner Stacy Martin doing?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20October 25, 2018 9:51 PM

Why did Natalie wear a hate that said "make america gay again"???

by Anonymousreply 21October 26, 2018 6:44 PM

It looks like a fun, weird, and interesting film... or like R3 said, at least it might have been with another actress in the lead.

Portman tries hard, and ends up looking like she's trying hard. She was absolutely fucking terrible in "Jackie", I think she's actually getting less skilled with age!

by Anonymousreply 22October 26, 2018 10:24 PM

R22 I agree!!! I loved her in The Professional with Jean Reno when she was what? 12? Then she made a couple of YA movies one where she was pregnant and living in a Walmart. Ashley Judd was in it.And another one with Susan Sarandon where they played mother & daughter. I didn't mind her in the Star Wars movies because ...Star Wars. Garden State was OK. Even Cold Mountain. But by the time she appeared in Closer I was over her. IMO that was the dividing line. Black Swan was absurd.

by Anonymousreply 23October 26, 2018 11:16 PM

she was awful in Star Wars

by Anonymousreply 24October 26, 2018 11:19 PM

I've watched this trailer a couple of times and I still can't get a strong read on what type of film this is exactly. Is it a movie about the emotional drain of being famous? A film about addiction? Or some sort of thriller?

by Anonymousreply 25October 27, 2018 1:40 AM

[Quote] Then she made a couple of YA movies one where she was pregnant and living in a Walmart.

Where The Heart Is

[Quote] And another one with Susan Sarandon where they played mother & daughter.

One of my fave movies, it's called Anywhere But Here.

by Anonymousreply 26October 27, 2018 9:17 AM

She chooses great roles. I loved Black Swan and Annihilation, and this looks really good. She and Tilda Swinton are the only two actresses who can draw me to a film on name alone (Blanchett is almost there but not quite).

by Anonymousreply 27October 27, 2018 11:35 AM

Portman always tries too hard, much harder than Anne Hathaway and it shows

by Anonymousreply 28October 27, 2018 1:20 PM

"Portman tries hard, and ends up looking like she's trying hard. She was absolutely fucking terrible in "Jackie", I think she's actually getting less skilled with age!"

This R22.

by Anonymousreply 29October 27, 2018 1:43 PM

Two kicks in the cunt for Natalie Portman. All the time. Everywhere.

What a smug, elitist bitch.

by Anonymousreply 30October 27, 2018 1:53 PM

That looks awful. Seriously awful. Her stupid fake accent had me cringing from the beginning. Why?

by Anonymousreply 31October 27, 2018 1:57 PM

her shitty accent and voice in Jackie too #puke

by Anonymousreply 32October 27, 2018 2:02 PM

She's looking very hot topic edgy in this.

by Anonymousreply 33October 27, 2018 4:20 PM

Is it true she ended Sean Penn's marriage to robin wright?

Is nat a little ho-bag or what?

by Anonymousreply 34October 27, 2018 6:54 PM

Looks better than the Jackie crap.

by Anonymousreply 35October 27, 2018 7:42 PM

From that bewildering clip - I’m left thinking this has the potential to be a classic like Showgirls.

by Anonymousreply 36October 27, 2018 8:05 PM

R36 it looks like a combination of showgirls, v for vendetta, and a star is born. It may well be so bad it's good.

by Anonymousreply 37October 27, 2018 8:08 PM

Jude Law is always awful

Hard pass on this one

by Anonymousreply 38October 27, 2018 8:12 PM

She hasn't been good in a roll since V for Vendetta. She's the bag lady of stale ingenues.

by Anonymousreply 39October 27, 2018 8:13 PM

I don't believe for a second that she never suspected Jonathan Safran Foer was crushing on her during their months long correspondence.

by Anonymousreply 40October 27, 2018 8:14 PM

she's a lesbian

by Anonymousreply 41October 27, 2018 8:17 PM

her sperm donor was Aronofsky

by Anonymousreply 42October 27, 2018 8:18 PM

she's really a he

by Anonymousreply 43October 27, 2018 8:19 PM

I was picturing this with Liza. Now THAT would be a triumph.

by Anonymousreply 44October 27, 2018 8:23 PM

Chloe Grace Moritz should have played the bitchy, spoiled rock star

by Anonymousreply 45October 28, 2018 3:12 AM

Glad that Jude is back in movies, Fantastic Beasts 2 blockbuster comes out Nov too. Anw, he has stocky short legs as seen in this trailer. And Jude will slip in his American accent.

by Anonymousreply 46October 28, 2018 3:52 AM

Has no one seen this but me and dying to see what the comments were now that IMDB message boards are a thing of the past? I saw this tonight on a screener and honestly, I can’t remember seeing a more horrid movie in a long time. I almost was embarrassed for Natalie and Jude and everyone else in the film. I don’t even know where to begin...truly don’t know where....

by Anonymousreply 47December 10, 2018 5:44 AM

Looks interesting. Like Jude Law so I’ll watch it unless the reviews are terrible.

by Anonymousreply 48December 10, 2018 6:02 AM

I saw this tonight on a screener

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49December 10, 2018 6:41 AM

I'm surprised by the positive reviews I've seen. I didn't think it was wretched, I thought it was pointless and could not figure out its tone.

I attended a Q&A with Portman and writer/director Brady Corbett. Corbett acted as if he had created a revolutionary film when it's something that Gregg Araki would have done but better.

by Anonymousreply 50December 10, 2018 6:46 AM

*its

by Anonymousreply 51December 10, 2018 6:47 AM

I don't know what it is about Portman, but no matter what type of character she plays, I do not believe her. It's not that I am aware of Portman being Portman, she just doesn't bring any truth to her characters.

by Anonymousreply 52December 10, 2018 6:51 AM

Her accent in the clips I've seen are nigh on atrocious never mind the over the top attitude and gray streak in the hair. It looks fucking awful. I love her really I do, loved her in Heat and she was simply magnificent in Closer. And Annihilation she was incredible as well I thought. But I'm struggling with deciding to see this or not.

It seems like she's just doing her old SNL hip hop screaming character in the whole movie.

Also, does Jude represent the devil--satan--lucifer who she sold her soul to for fame because he's always around her seeing it all?

by Anonymousreply 53December 10, 2018 7:12 PM

From the trailers, this movie looks like an inconsistent mess. I’m guessing that it has a hacky twist ending: She’s in an Insane Asylum and the rockstar scenes were all in her imagination, etc.

Jude Law is never appealing. Who keeps casting him in movies?

by Anonymousreply 54December 10, 2018 7:17 PM

[quote]Her performance in Jackie is horrid. She sounds like Jim Carrey playing Vera De Milo.

You do realize Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis actually had an unusual voice and cadence don't you?

by Anonymousreply 55December 10, 2018 7:22 PM

[quote]It seems like she's just doing her old SNL hip hop screaming character in the whole movie.

Because she is. Except this time with a Jersey accent.   Portman is actually only in the film for maybe 30, 40 minutes in the third act. The lead is the younger actress portraying her as a teen.

[quote]Also, does Jude represent the devil--satan--lucifer who she sold her soul to for fame because he's always around her seeing it all?

I didn't read it that way. To me he was a red herring because by all appearances he seemed like a sleaze who would corrupt and take advantage of her but that isn't the case.

by Anonymousreply 56December 10, 2018 7:52 PM

Should have been Gaga.

by Anonymousreply 57December 10, 2018 10:13 PM

Does she sing or is it like her dancing in Black Swan?

by Anonymousreply 58December 10, 2018 10:38 PM

From the trailer it looks like a hand-me-down Desperately Seeking Susan. It's not playing around me and I certainly won't travel to see.

by Anonymousreply 59December 10, 2018 11:01 PM

How is this doing? Will Nat get any major nominations?

by Anonymousreply 60December 11, 2018 6:07 AM

It's nice to see Jude Law is still getting work.

by Anonymousreply 61December 11, 2018 6:24 AM

Immediately the accent is a fail.

by Anonymousreply 62December 11, 2018 8:54 AM

ewwwwwwww law and portman equal stinker.

by Anonymousreply 63December 11, 2018 9:18 AM

damn

what happened to dat director

trimspa bb

by Anonymousreply 64December 11, 2018 9:20 AM

Gaga would have rocked this.

by Anonymousreply 65December 11, 2018 9:32 AM

Mara would have been so much better.

by Anonymousreply 66December 11, 2018 9:36 AM

[quote]Does she sing or is it like her dancing in Black Swan?

She sings and does a bit of dancing. Some of the choreography was done by her husband.

Sia provided songs for the film. Of course they would be better if Sia actually performed them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67December 11, 2018 1:26 PM

She and Law had sensational chemistry in Closer. I might be seeing this today.

by Anonymousreply 68December 11, 2018 6:31 PM

I have always scoffed at people and argued against their points who said Natalie Portman was a terrible actress, forced, overrated, can't act to save her life, child actress who flamed out and got lucky with her early career, that she's "easily one of the worst actresses at the top level" ... all that jazz. I have been a fan of hers and

... but I just saw this dreadful movie. It was god awful, and it's become painfully if not excruciatingly evident to me: THOSE PEOPLE MIGHT BE RIGHT.

One of her worst performances and unbelievable acting -- meaning one could not believe her character who was a fucking cartoon.

Maybe they were right about her. Maybe Natalie Portman is a terrible actress and I've been blinded by love for her at an early age.

I was cringing when she was talking in virtually every scene.

I'm devastated.

by Anonymousreply 69December 12, 2018 3:32 AM

How was Jude Law?

by Anonymousreply 70December 12, 2018 7:58 AM

He was nice to look at as per usual but his accent was fucking god awful some sort of a 1950s Brooklyn meets Staten Island gangster cartoon accent lol. The only worse accent was Natalie's.

by Anonymousreply 71December 12, 2018 8:04 PM

She's simply doing a Long Island accent, where she is from.

by Anonymousreply 72December 13, 2018 12:58 PM

Her character is specifically from Staten Island, she says it herself to the Asian singer who is opening for her. "Enjoy Staten Island, that's my hometown!"...

Anyway, it seems Portman watched the Jersey Shore a few times to concoct her accent, which was, much like the movie itself, garbage.

by Anonymousreply 73December 13, 2018 5:06 PM

What’s funny is the younger version of herself has a very strange totally different accent than Natalie which is very distracting. It’s almost as if she wasn’t English and was starting to go deaf. Then Natalie comes in with her Desperately Seeking Susan impersonation. Jude Laws accent was all over the place. Don’t even get me started on this thing. THEN they have the audacity to cast the same actress as her daughter 15 years later and just change her eye color. Awful.

by Anonymousreply 74December 13, 2018 5:45 PM

[quite]She's simply doing a Long Island accent, where she is from.

What I meant is Natalie Portman is from Long Island , not the character, and is doing the LI accent. She might think it's the same as Staten Island.

by Anonymousreply 75December 13, 2018 6:23 PM

This is currently on Hulu and it's painfully bad. I generally like Portman, but wow, this was a turkey. All of the performances were amateurish and half baked. It takes itself very seriously, but it also kind of wants to be tongue-and-cheek and it doesn't do either very well. If anyone was bored and thinking of passing the time by watching this, don't bother.

by Anonymousreply 76June 9, 2019 12:50 AM

Did she show off her fat ass in this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77June 11, 2019 7:19 AM

This fucking movie had a supernatural twist. Jeez.

by Anonymousreply 78December 7, 2020 10:26 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!