Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Green Card Marriage

Ok, so I’ll probably get lots of “this will end in tears” responses, but I met a guy while I was traveling this summer and really feel for him. I thought I had a week long fling, but after keep in touch everyday for months after, we both realize we have strong feelings for each other.

I’m returning to visit him and he wants to visit me in New York, but even obtaining a tourist visa is difficult.

I feel completely crazy, but I just want to spend time with him and see where this could lead. He says he does too. I know marriage seems very very extreme, but it also seems like this is the only option for us to be together.

I know some green card marriages are purely transactional and that wouldn’t be the case here. Does anyone know of someone who has a green card marriage? How difficult was the process? How did it turn out? Am I just being completely crazy?

by Anonymousreply 45October 24, 2018 9:41 PM

You. Don’t. Have. Strong. Feelings. For. Someone. After. One. Week.

It’s also illegal to marry someone for a green card! Fool!

by Anonymousreply 1October 23, 2018 7:10 PM

oh, my

by Anonymousreply 2October 23, 2018 7:11 PM

He won't be able to stay here just because you marry him. I knew a guy who had an Italian fiancee, and it took I think several years before she was allowed to move here even after they were married. He can come and visit you of course and you can marry him, but there is a lot of red tape these days.

by Anonymousreply 3October 23, 2018 7:13 PM

I know 2 divorced women who were aging and entered green card marriages with black African studs. The marriages lasted as long as it took for the Africans to get well set up and keep the police out of it.

I know 1 divorced bi man who is now in a green card marriage with 2nd wife, much younger. Well she popped out a KID!!! He is now saddled with that through in his middle and old age. And he fucks guys on the down low.

What R1 said.

How old are you?????

by Anonymousreply 4October 23, 2018 7:15 PM

Also what nationality is he. Certain nationalities ware automatic TROUBLE!

by Anonymousreply 5October 23, 2018 7:16 PM

The "marriage to get a green card myth" is just that. A myth. You have to apply for permanent residency, married or not to a US spouse. Don't try to fuck with the system, or you can get kicked out/deported with no chance of return.

by Anonymousreply 6October 23, 2018 7:18 PM

OP is cute as a button. He will leave you the second he got his citizenship

by Anonymousreply 7October 23, 2018 7:21 PM

I am 34. He has not brought this up, for the record, so he’s not using me at all.

by Anonymousreply 8October 23, 2018 7:22 PM

What nationality. What is his education and career?

by Anonymousreply 9October 23, 2018 7:23 PM

I married a Thai man who was here already. He now has a green card, applying of us citizen and we just bought our first house together. 5 years strong. It can work. It’s rare, but can.

by Anonymousreply 10October 23, 2018 7:24 PM

He is Georgian. He had one year of university, but dropped out to work construction to support his parents and siblings.

R1, I didn’t say I had strong feelings after one week. I assumed it would be a fun fling. The feelings have developed after months of daily conversations.

by Anonymousreply 11October 23, 2018 7:25 PM

Ok, so you want your new partner to live with you and become a permanent resident.

Be prepared to file a lot of paperwork and have some money on hand. You also must have the means to support your partner and be able to show proof.

Be prepared for possibly multiple interviews in which you both might be asked about some detailed information regarding your spouse and your life together. You will need people who are witnesses to your relationship and statements from those people under oath.

Still interested? The entire process will take years before your spouse gets a green card.

It’s not as easy as it sounds. How do I know? My brother’s wife is French and they had did it 20 years ago. It would probably be cheaper for you to just travel back and forth for a while and start a long distance relationship before you consider making plans for the future.

by Anonymousreply 12October 23, 2018 7:29 PM

Well know he is trapped in that shit hole and whoever he is whatever he wants, will evolve, when he isn't trapped. Good luck.

by Anonymousreply 13October 23, 2018 7:29 PM

Are you both versatile or is there a top and bottom. This is important.

by Anonymousreply 14October 23, 2018 7:31 PM

If he is Georgian R11 sorry to say, it won't happen. There is a list of automatic "no's" and Georgian's are on that list.

by Anonymousreply 15October 23, 2018 7:31 PM

Thank you R12, I think I will mostly likely stick to flying back and forth to Tbilisi for a while.

R14, if you must know, I am a bottom and he is a top.

by Anonymousreply 16October 23, 2018 7:32 PM

Dear OP, Georgians are grifters and homophobic, just like their Russkie cousins. I see that he already manipulated you into thinking that it is YOU, who want this. Next time, pick a German, b/c at least he will work hard and plow hard.

Don't ask stupid question R14, OP is obviously a bottom.

by Anonymousreply 17October 23, 2018 7:32 PM

R16 - OK. You have a pipe dream. Just go visit him and let him lay pipe and give him some cash now and then.

Find a poor top guy locally. Are you ugly, or what? 34, geez, you ought to be able to get laid locally and even find a lover.

by Anonymousreply 18October 23, 2018 7:35 PM

Of course, in OP's favor, there is a well-known shortage of tops in the US.

by Anonymousreply 19October 23, 2018 7:37 PM

I get laid enough in New York, R18, but it is just hook ups and honestly I haven’t been looking for anything more.

I wasn’t looking for anything more in Tbilisi either (and I love Georgians btw- good, warm people), and like I said, what I thought was going to be an afternoon meeting turned into an evening and then a night and then a week. No money was involved and he has never asked me for any.

by Anonymousreply 20October 23, 2018 7:40 PM

Go to Puerto Rico and get a hung top. Easy peasy. Totally legal he can come home with you.

by Anonymousreply 21October 23, 2018 7:40 PM

What a load of horseshit. I'm a Latin American immigrant with a green card by marriage. The whole process took me 8 months from the day we got married in Brazil. Stop fantasizing about that from stupid news and wild guesses. It's very simple albeit burocratic. Just do it already, I bought I could be tough since I don't think Georgia has same sex marriage does it. You could get marri e até the American embassy there I think .

by Anonymousreply 22October 23, 2018 7:42 PM

Georgians are about as good and warm as the Romani.

by Anonymousreply 23October 23, 2018 7:42 PM

Georgia does not have same sex marriage. Thank you for sharing your experience R22.

by Anonymousreply 24October 23, 2018 7:44 PM

which one is he, OP?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25October 23, 2018 7:46 PM

nice smile

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26October 23, 2018 7:47 PM

r22: Was your marriage recent and green card recent? I am actually just curious given the experience of my acquaintance with his Italian girlfriend. I don't really know him well so I don't know why it took that long for her to be able to live here and get a green card.

by Anonymousreply 27October 23, 2018 8:04 PM

It used to be much easier to bring in international spouses to the US. The Trump administration has changed that. The spouse now has to stay out of the US until he/she gets through lots of red immigration tape—Yes, even if married to a US citizen.

It is different if the international spouse already has legal residency (Green card) or even a valid visa to the US

by Anonymousreply 28October 23, 2018 8:07 PM

The process can also differ depending on your State, your case workers, and how busy your assigned agency is. Not everybody’s experience will be the same.

by Anonymousreply 29October 23, 2018 8:11 PM

How old is the top, OP?

by Anonymousreply 30October 23, 2018 8:17 PM

It used to take at least three years to get a permanent green card via marriage.

by Anonymousreply 31October 23, 2018 8:24 PM

He’s 30.

by Anonymousreply 32October 23, 2018 8:24 PM

This will last as long as it takes for the top to find a younger, slimmer bottom.

by Anonymousreply 33October 23, 2018 8:43 PM

I got married in October 2015 R27. I was already holding a greencard by the time Despicable Me won the election.

by Anonymousreply 34October 23, 2018 8:50 PM

There seems to be a severe shortage of shirts in Tblisi.

by Anonymousreply 35October 23, 2018 9:29 PM

This isn't a "Green Card Marriage". It may be ill-advised, but if you're marrying for love, you're not committing marriage fraud (which is a crime).

You need to consult a good immigration lawyer (especially one with experience with gay marriages) to get up-to-date advice on timing, how rigourous the investigation into the authenticity of the marriage is, etc. These things change over time.

Your potential spouse must be intending to immigrate to the US. Also, receiving a green card will make him immediately subject to US taxes on his world-wide income.

by Anonymousreply 36October 24, 2018 12:37 AM

Tell him to fly to Guatemala City and join the caravan. He'll be at the border in about 2 weeks top.

by Anonymousreply 37October 24, 2018 12:43 AM

Tell him to apply for a job at Mar-A-Lago.

by Anonymousreply 38October 24, 2018 8:04 PM

It is much easier if they’re already here in the United States; legal or not. If he’s in Georgia, it can take a year to get all the approvals and proof marriage and living together and income.

The cost excluding the lawyers fees is about $1750. Then medical check ups and passport photos and lots and lots and lots of paperwork. The lawyer can help you with the paperwork. Think about 3 to $4000 for a lawyer. That’s assuming the case is easy.

by Anonymousreply 39October 24, 2018 8:16 PM

Find out if you will be required to file an I-864 Immigration Form where you basically pledge all of your assets to care for this person. If this person receives any government financial welfare/help, you will have to reimburse the government. You will be financially responsible for this person until they either become an American citizen or work for 10 years earning 40 work units.

Speak with a competent lawyer, not just an immigration lawyer. Sometimes immigration lawyers downplay how badly these situations can play out.

Just google "I-864 horror stories" and go from there.

by Anonymousreply 40October 24, 2018 8:27 PM

Bed idea. Replyink for a friend.

by Anonymousreply 41October 24, 2018 8:29 PM

Have we have verificatia of sizemeat yet by OP?

by Anonymousreply 42October 24, 2018 8:53 PM

It's going to be much harder now that Trump is in office. What makes you think they will recognize same-sex marriage?

by Anonymousreply 43October 24, 2018 9:08 PM

He is going to be stealing from you and lying to you in order to support his parents and siblings. Then, he will bring them all over to the U.S. and you will know what is hell on earth.

by Anonymousreply 44October 24, 2018 9:18 PM

It'll be really hard given you have to, y'know, show proof of real intent to marry to get your K 1 (fiance) visa approved. Since you basically had "a week long fling" and have only visited once, I doubt you'd ever get the petition approved to have him come here to get married.

And you ain't gettin' married in T'blisi (same-sex) so no filing a basic petition to consular process. So your best bet would be to get married in a 3rd party country you can BOTH visit (like a European country), register the marriage in the US, then apply for an immigrant visa. And even then you would have to prove bona-fides, which, good fucking luck when you barely know this person. And all of this has NOTHING to do with Trump (aside from wait times increasing like 100 fold due to everyone fuh-reaking out and applying for immigration benefits en masse, clogging the system).

So yeah, this isn't happening in any quick nor easy fashion and by the time you even get around to filing for the K-3 route you'll probably hate each other. Just take your tryst for what it is.

by Anonymousreply 45October 24, 2018 9:41 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!