Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

If you have herpes, you have 50% chance of Alzheimers

At least you’ll forget you have herpes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21October 24, 2018 6:27 AM

Not a single link to any research in that article.

by Anonymousreply 1October 23, 2018 5:47 PM

Don't around 80% of people have Herpies S1?

by Anonymousreply 2October 23, 2018 6:02 PM

R1 Here is the original article that links to the research, as well as to studies showing certain herpes treatments' effectiveness as reducing the risk of demintia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3October 23, 2018 6:02 PM

*at

by Anonymousreply 4October 23, 2018 6:03 PM

That's ridiculous. My grandmother had herpes and was sharp as a tack when she died at age 89.

by Anonymousreply 5October 23, 2018 6:13 PM

Its just a correlation. Nothing proven. If I were old and had herpes I would definitely be on maintenance Acyclovir. It's active against a LOT of nasty viruses and not a heavy drug.

by Anonymousreply 6October 23, 2018 6:32 PM

Scary. I'm 66 y/o and have herpes. Acyclovir causes kidney damage, doesn't it, r6?

by Anonymousreply 7October 23, 2018 6:44 PM

*dementia, oops

by Anonymousreply 8October 23, 2018 6:44 PM

R7 - its rare. If you were on maintenance valacyclovir or acyclovir you would have regular blood work which you should be having anyway at your age.

by Anonymousreply 9October 23, 2018 6:48 PM

Thank you, R7; I will ask my doctor to put me on maintenance meds. Very appreciative.

by Anonymousreply 10October 23, 2018 6:51 PM

Which herpes?

by Anonymousreply 11October 23, 2018 6:52 PM

This link doesn’t count, R1?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12October 23, 2018 6:54 PM

The article says nothing about a 50% increase in chance of AD related with HSV. Rather those with the gene may be more likely to get AD- an association, but not demonstrated cause/effect as yet.

by Anonymousreply 13October 23, 2018 6:55 PM

OP plucked 50% out of his ass.

by Anonymousreply 14October 23, 2018 6:57 PM

Herpes 1 simplex r11 (or is it Herpes A? --it's the kind that's more typically found on the mouth). The researcher said that a lot of ppl contract it at birth from their mothers, and if not then, most ppl will contract it via kissing as teens and young adults.

I've seen other articles that brought up the theory that Alzheimer's may originate as a bacterial or viral infection that later effects the brain because our immune systems and blood/brain barriers get weaker as we age. If that's found to be true it will be very exciting because we could focus on developing vaccines and prevent Alzheimer's from ever occurring. It's still very early days though.

by Anonymousreply 15October 23, 2018 7:03 PM

R2 I have not only read that before, but also 63-68% of Americans are positive for S2, even if they do not have lesions. It would seem there exists many carriers who unknowingly continue to spread the virus.

by Anonymousreply 16October 23, 2018 7:03 PM

R3 may be demented.

by Anonymousreply 17October 23, 2018 7:23 PM

I gots da herps!

by Anonymousreply 18October 23, 2018 8:19 PM

I have S1 and never knew it until my partner had a huge outbreak, tested pos for herpes, and then I had myself tested. Ten years later, I've still never had one symptom.

by Anonymousreply 19October 23, 2018 9:07 PM

[quote]That's ridiculous. My grandmother had herpes and was sharp as a tack when she died at age 89.

Hypothesis: IRREFUTABLY DISPROVEN!

by Anonymousreply 20October 23, 2018 9:19 PM

That would mean like 40% of seniors get Alzheimer's.

The frequency doesn't seem that high to me.

by Anonymousreply 21October 24, 2018 6:27 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!