Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"There's blood in my BM..."

October is the 20th anniversary of the movie "Happiness". How did it affect you?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23October 24, 2018 9:14 PM

This film freaked me the fuck out.

by Anonymousreply 1October 23, 2018 5:09 PM

This is one of the only movies I refuse to watch again.

by Anonymousreply 2October 23, 2018 5:12 PM

its about fucked up people trying to find a connection. It confrontational to sat the least. I can see why it wouldn't be many people's cup of tea.

by Anonymousreply 3October 23, 2018 5:16 PM

A friend and I went to see it on Thanksgiving. We were 17. And then we both had to go home and interact with our families over mashed potatoes and pretend we didn't both feel like we'd just been molested by a priest.

by Anonymousreply 4October 23, 2018 6:24 PM

Fuck I loved this film! And remember feeling elated when it was over cos I knew I’d seen something that was extraordinary - a real mindfuck! - and the lights went up and I looked around and most of the audience members faces appeared as if they’d been heavily traumatised. Pale, confused and upset.

I think it came out around the time of American Beauty - and dealt with some very similar themes. I remember thinking at the time that this was a much, much better film than that overly slick and commercial drek.

Need to see it again!

by Anonymousreply 5October 23, 2018 6:55 PM

Also remember some smug, frau-in-denial friend-of-a-friend looking as if she’d sucked on a lemon when the subject of this film came up at a dinner. I said ‘oh didn’t you like it?’ And she replied that she hadn’t seen it. When I asked why - she said it was coz it was about pecophillia - as if that was the entire content & it somehow justified or even glorified it. I was all ‘...uh - I don’t think so...’

She was usually a pretty well informed hag when it came to arts reviews - so I was really perplexed as to what and where she’d read this about it.

by Anonymousreply 6October 23, 2018 7:01 PM

R6 is what happens when misogyny is normalized.

by Anonymousreply 7October 23, 2018 8:39 PM

From Roger Ebert’s review:

[quote]We watch in sadness and unease as Bill the shrink attends his son Billy's Little League game and becomes enraptured by one of his teammates. When the other boy has a "sleep-over" with Billy, [bold]Bill drugs his family and molests the young boy[/bold] (not shown onscreen).

by Anonymousreply 8October 23, 2018 8:45 PM

"I'm champagne and you're shit" is one of the best burns ever.

by Anonymousreply 9October 23, 2018 8:54 PM

Someone in the theater I watched it in vomited at the ending.

by Anonymousreply 10October 23, 2018 9:01 PM

The ending was disturbing/hilarious as was most of the movie.

by Anonymousreply 11October 23, 2018 9:05 PM

Great movie. I particularly loved Philip Seymour Hoffman; he was so perfect in it.

by Anonymousreply 12October 23, 2018 9:08 PM

Requiem For A Dream, Less Than Zero, Deliverance, the ending of Chinatown, and this movie all left me feeling sick and sorry that I watched to the end. To this day whenever I see Dylan Baker on my t.v. I always feel repulsed because I will forever remember him as the Pedo who drugged and raped little Billy. Hard pass on watching any of them again.

by Anonymousreply 13October 23, 2018 9:33 PM

Yeah, that was a real negative consequence of that movie. Every time I see that actor, I ‘m creeped the fuck out. Still.

by Anonymousreply 14October 23, 2018 10:23 PM

Good movie.

by Anonymousreply 15October 23, 2018 10:29 PM

I think it's a testament to Dylan Baker's acting skills that his performance left such a lasting impression on some people, even if it was a negative one.

by Anonymousreply 16October 23, 2018 11:14 PM

Dylan Baker should have grown a mountain man beard or gained a lot of weight because I can't watch him in any other role since he played a Pedo.

by Anonymousreply 17October 23, 2018 11:40 PM

Keep in mind, people, that Dylan Baker is NOT a pedo in real life (as far as I know). He's just a good actor.

by Anonymousreply 18October 23, 2018 11:46 PM

The scene with the russian wife beating the shit out of Joy was amazing. Great movie. If you can't separate real life from a work of art I'm not sure what to tell you.

by Anonymousreply 19October 23, 2018 11:56 PM

Marla Maples was stunt casting, but she was PERFECT and hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 20October 23, 2018 11:59 PM

Jesus who wants to sit around watching beatings as pedos...no thanks. I have better things to do with my time.

by Anonymousreply 21October 24, 2018 12:03 AM

“Life After Wartime” was an awful sequel but it was a cool concept - all of the same characters played by different - and mostly VERY different actors.

by Anonymousreply 22October 24, 2018 12:17 AM

It's not a fucking work of art. No one here thinks Dylan Baker is an actual pedophile. He has played other despicable characters since Happiness. It was the subject matter that made me sick. I would feel the same way about any actor who had played that part. Yes, he's a really good actor. The mountain men in Deliverance were not good actors but I remain repulsed by them too. We know it's a fucking movie but things like that do happen in real life. Christ. You are not a sophisticate for liking this movie. No one is impressed.

by Anonymousreply 23October 24, 2018 9:14 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!