Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Far Right Represents Only 6% of U.S. Citizens, Study Says. 67% Make up the 'Exhausted Majority.'

Researchers looking into political and social divides in America said in a new study that only 6% of American fit the definition of far right, people who feel that America is under threat and they’re the last line of defense in protecting traditional values with strident uncompromising views

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59October 24, 2018 8:02 PM

A lot more than I'd expected.

by Anonymousreply 1October 23, 2018 5:40 PM

And given the whining of DL's hard left, you'd think all 6% were DL members.

by Anonymousreply 2October 23, 2018 5:40 PM

Gives me hope.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3October 23, 2018 5:43 PM

That actually makes sense. If there were 300 million Americans then that would be 18 million would be hard right. Add ten million more conservatives and there is he Trump base.

by Anonymousreply 4October 23, 2018 5:44 PM

Quiz

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 23, 2018 5:46 PM

The quiz says I'm a traditional liberal, which is how I think of myself.

by Anonymousreply 6October 23, 2018 5:51 PM

Progressive activist for me... just as I thought.

by Anonymousreply 7October 23, 2018 6:03 PM

I half expected being determined by the quiz to be a progressive activist (most liberal), but I wasn't certain because I'm not a fan of affirmative action, I'm moderately hawkish re foreign policy, and I want law and order (e.g., perfect administration of our borders and complete knowledge of who's in the country). Turns out I'm indeed a progressive activist, however.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8October 23, 2018 6:04 PM

The quiz question re animal cruelty is interesting... I bet sociopaths and conservatives are closely aligned on that one.

by Anonymousreply 9October 23, 2018 6:05 PM

A lot of people must be taking the quiz now it crashed while I was taking it.

by Anonymousreply 10October 23, 2018 6:10 PM

R4, I agree with you. This statistic is very telling. What surprises me is that the 67% is not more compelled to protest in the streets.

by Anonymousreply 11October 23, 2018 6:13 PM

As a progressive activist, am I part of the exhausted 67%? I sure feel like I am!

by Anonymousreply 12October 23, 2018 6:19 PM

Traditional liberal huh.

I thought I’d fall in the passive category now.

by Anonymousreply 13October 23, 2018 6:23 PM

I got passive liberal but I generally view myself as moderate, cause I find both send right and wrong on certain issues.

by Anonymousreply 14October 23, 2018 6:37 PM

*both sides

by Anonymousreply 15October 23, 2018 6:37 PM

Another Traditional Liberal here

by Anonymousreply 16October 23, 2018 7:04 PM

Traditional liberal, but I would see myself as more progressive.

Some of the questions were difficult to answer, especially the ones related to children. You can’t be creative and respect authority at the same time? I think that both things are equally important, but it’s obviously not reflected in my answer since I had to pick one.

by Anonymousreply 17October 23, 2018 7:06 PM

I'm r14 and I think I got that cause I put never on the first question about getting super involved by rallying or giving donations.

by Anonymousreply 18October 23, 2018 7:07 PM

r17, could not agree more.

by Anonymousreply 19October 23, 2018 7:11 PM

Same problem here, that’s why I kind of figured I’d get passive or moderate.

by Anonymousreply 20October 23, 2018 7:14 PM

R18, what does "put on" here mean?

[quote] ... cause I put never on the first question ...

TIA.

by Anonymousreply 21October 23, 2018 7:16 PM

I went back and tried to answer like a true psychopath to see if I would be categorized in the alt right group, and I got “traditional conservative”.

Now I’m just scared.

by Anonymousreply 22October 23, 2018 7:18 PM

Maybe you're just a fake psychopath r22.

by Anonymousreply 23October 23, 2018 7:21 PM

r21 Probably means 'never' is how he answered the first question.

by Anonymousreply 24October 23, 2018 7:29 PM

The bigger concern is whether low-information, gullible, fearful voters outnumber the sensible, well-informed, aware voters in each legislative district and in each state.

by Anonymousreply 25October 23, 2018 7:56 PM

I wouldn't trust anything in that survey.

Only one of the principals has any background in political science. And as far as I can tell, none of them have any training in survey research.

But that's how it is today. Do your research and see how many political scientists are involved in these kind of surveys (581, etc.). Most of the people who do this aren't trained in any social science.

Just sayin'.

by Anonymousreply 26October 23, 2018 8:15 PM

Progressive Activist, thought I'd be a traditional liberal as the far left tends to annoy the hell out of me. I expect that it's because I'm being far more politically active than usual--and also more pessimistic about the U.S. than I was pre-Trump.

by Anonymousreply 27October 23, 2018 8:16 PM

The quiz thinks I'm a progressive activist, but I see myself as a traditional liberal. I've got empathetic qualities that may put me in their progressive box, I guess.

In their summary of attitudes, they think there's great commonality in that so many think racism is a problem in America. They apparently fail to see that for many conservatives, the feeling is that the white race is being discriminated against.

by Anonymousreply 28October 23, 2018 8:28 PM

Traditional Liberal here, and damn proud of it.

by Anonymousreply 29October 23, 2018 9:06 PM

The animal cruelty questions seemed out of place. I suspect most people taking the test are meat eaters and probably don't care of know how the animals killed are treated.

by Anonymousreply 30October 23, 2018 10:50 PM

I only had one animal question and it was something like “Do you think people who treat animals cruelly the worst?”

by Anonymousreply 31October 23, 2018 10:57 PM

[quote]User data is not sold by More in Common or YouGov, nor will it be transferred to any Third Party.

Yeah, right.

It's already been stolen by whatever Cambridge Analytics is called now and the new-fangled KGB.

by Anonymousreply 32October 23, 2018 11:12 PM

Progressive Activist, even though I don’t donate or go to political events. Kind of sad that issues of fairness and justice are the concern of s minority of people. Explains a lot.

by Anonymousreply 33October 24, 2018 12:21 AM

The 6% gets 80% of the news coverage.

by Anonymousreply 34October 24, 2018 12:34 AM

It is a relief that the number is not in double digits however we need to be careful of conditions within society that may make a good breeding ground for far right ideology support and increase it over time. it may not be in double digits now but we must not get complacent .Stopping it rising is vital .

by Anonymousreply 35October 24, 2018 1:41 AM

Another Traditional liberal.

by Anonymousreply 36October 24, 2018 2:06 AM

It's been fairly common knowledge that two thirds of Americans are pro environment, pro feminism, pro abortion, pro Queer, anti racism since the 1960s.

That the GOP runs this country is because the Dems are coopted by money from corporations and are essentially on the same side.

There is only one political party really called Corporate.

by Anonymousreply 37October 24, 2018 2:18 AM

I got Progressive Activist, despite not actually going to any protests or anything -- I'm simply not up to it because of illness. Kind of surprised me.

by Anonymousreply 38October 24, 2018 2:22 AM

That's the big problem, R34. The media can't stop jerking off the 6%. "Who are they? What makes them tick? Here's a panel of 97 Trumpsters for a two-hour CNN special, followed by comments by Bernie Sanders."

by Anonymousreply 39October 24, 2018 2:23 AM

It seems like at least 30%. Damn dumbest racist pigs on earth.

by Anonymousreply 40October 24, 2018 2:26 AM

Yum fuck me

by Anonymousreply 41October 24, 2018 5:08 AM

For r29 ^

by Anonymousreply 42October 24, 2018 5:09 AM

More labels to be used as childish pejoratives, more excuses for Americans to denigrate and demonize one another.

by Anonymousreply 43October 24, 2018 5:13 AM

[quote]And as far as I can tell, none of them have any training in survey research.

You think Yougov doesn't have survey experience?

by Anonymousreply 44October 24, 2018 5:35 AM

I'm a progressive activist, which surprised me because I would classify myself as more of a classic liberal.

by Anonymousreply 45October 24, 2018 6:09 AM

They said I’m Che Guevara. Whatever that means.

by Anonymousreply 46October 24, 2018 6:16 AM

Yougov replicated some of the findings of other surveys, including that centrists tend to have more fascist views.

They found that the Politically Disengaged, the biggest centrist group in American, are "Eight percent more likely to say that to fix America, we need a strong leader willing to break the rules - 57% V. 45%"

by Anonymousreply 47October 24, 2018 3:25 PM

Traditional liberal here too. I really don’t identify with progressive. I thought I did but the progressives I see around me arent me.

by Anonymousreply 48October 24, 2018 3:50 PM

Sometimes progress for it’s own sake is not the best thing

by Anonymousreply 49October 24, 2018 4:27 PM

Surprisingly I came up as a Progressive Activist. But I have a conflict with R47- In reading that response I came up with the conclusion the replier only thinks that "fascists" break rules. I think of laws and rules as different things. A law is a law, but a rule can be a norm, etc. I think Roosevelt broke the rules during the New Deal. I think Johnson broke the rules during the Great Society, and I think Obama broke the rules during "ObamaCare" and some of the Executive Orders. I think that was a good breaking of rules, but was not a breaking of laws (or wasn't significant enough to overturn). As for the animal cruelty question, I view anyone who will hurt a defenseless animal as just as likely to hurt a human being and should be scrutinized.

by Anonymousreply 50October 24, 2018 4:54 PM

Six percent too many.

by Anonymousreply 51October 24, 2018 4:56 PM

R50, good point. I was a progressive activist who answered that question based on equating rules with laws. I think as well I thought of it in terms of Dump and how he has conducted himself. In retrospect I would have answered it differently.

by Anonymousreply 52October 24, 2018 5:00 PM

6%? Really....

So what's the difference between the hard right and the other 94% of right wingers? They're not voting in moderates.

Or, are we still supposed to accept Collins, Flake, McCain, Graham etc as moderates?

by Anonymousreply 53October 24, 2018 5:08 PM

Progressive Activist, which is exactly what I am.

by Anonymousreply 54October 24, 2018 5:08 PM

I’m a Progressive Activist.

Progressive yes, Activist, no.

by Anonymousreply 55October 24, 2018 5:23 PM

Same here. I don’t attend political rallies or protests but I do have sympathy and empathy for the plight of others. Guess having a conscience automatically makes you a progressive activist.

by Anonymousreply 56October 24, 2018 5:48 PM

Lieutenant Dan Lieutenant Dan @MeyersMusings "Just 38 people showed up when a man once touted as one of President Trump's most influential advisers spoke Monday in the reddest New York City borough. Steve Bannon said he didn't mind the small crowd..."

Thirty-eight people!!!

Story from @NYDailyNews :

by Anonymousreply 57October 24, 2018 6:58 PM

i can't find any info on how this study was conducted. Here is what i find interesting yougov found Dole to be the most popular beverage and Dairy Queen the most popular dinning brand.

R50 - The rules vs. law discussion is interesting. I'm also not sure the measure for breaking a law is having a piece of legislation overturned by the US Supreme Court. Either way a very significant part of the ACA was overturned by the court.

The animal cruelty questions always bother me. Is there really a difference between a person being directly cruel to an animal or paying someone to be cruel to an animal?

by Anonymousreply 58October 24, 2018 7:45 PM

Those listed politicians are awful enablers despite their rhetoric that's for sure [R53]

by Anonymousreply 59October 24, 2018 8:02 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!