Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Feliway for cats

Anybody have experience with pheromone for cats? It’s supposed to calm them, reduce fear/anxiety, scratching, and adjust to change. I have three plug ins going at once right now to help my six year old female cat adjust to a male kitten I just adopted. This is my second month. I *think* it’s helping. But, so far, the resident cat will have nothing to do with the kitten—even after a slow introduction. I wish they were friends.

by Anonymousreply 8October 23, 2018 9:20 PM

The traditional way is to cloister the new kitten in another room for a while. The curious cats will be aware of each others smells and sounds, maybe even play footsy under the door.

Then you switch the cat's rooms periodically, letting them get used to each others smells, etc. This all takes a few weeks.

Visually, you can hold the new kitten so the other sees it's a cat and not a rat. Put out food for both of them to eat at the same time, but sit nearby in case violence erupts.

I think it's all about showing them there are enough resources to go around, from food to sleeping places to hugs.

by Anonymousreply 1October 23, 2018 4:27 PM

If you're lucky, they will continue to ignore each other and coexist. Make sure the male is neutered asap or he will be raping the older cat.

by Anonymousreply 2October 23, 2018 4:33 PM

He’s neutered.

by Anonymousreply 3October 23, 2018 5:11 PM

Your old pussy really just hopes you start to relax about the whole thing

by Anonymousreply 4October 23, 2018 5:14 PM

Feliway does work, but it's not a magic cure-all. Cats take a long time to accept each other, and some will never do more than tolerate each other as roommates. Kind of like people.

by Anonymousreply 5October 23, 2018 7:23 PM

It's a bad combination. As a rule of thumb, the new cat should be of the same sex and about the same age as the first cat. Male cats like to scuffle and most female cats don't, kitten are very active and maybe he is "too much" for your female cat ... Apart from that, Feliway should be helpful indeed.

by Anonymousreply 6October 23, 2018 7:24 PM

It's expensive, so it must work.

by Anonymousreply 7October 23, 2018 7:25 PM

I've found Feliway is like catnip or cat treats-- some cats respond well to it, while many seem impervious to its charms.

It's a genetic thing, I guess, the way cilantro tastes like soap to some, or like my brain chemistry being impervious to opioids and most sleep aids.

by Anonymousreply 8October 23, 2018 9:20 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!