Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Outrage Over Small Town Raising "Straight Flag"

Small village of Chipman, NB decided to raise the "Straight Flag" causing backlash

The flag was raised Sunday afternoon with Chipman mayor Carson Atkinson saying it met the village council’s criteria because it “recognizes, accepts and respects the rights of individuals under the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.”

Atkinson said it was important to celebrate everyone in Chipman, and said the council previously voted to raise the rainbow flag representing the LGBTQ community.

“Whatever your personal persuasions, political or religious views, or country of origin, we welcome you in our community and ask for your volunteer efforts to help make Chipman a more open, dynamic and attractive community for all citizens,” Atkinson said in a Sunday speech.

Watch video below

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19October 25, 2018 1:54 PM

"NB"?

by Anonymousreply 1October 23, 2018 3:29 AM

"NB" is New Brunswick

by Anonymousreply 2October 23, 2018 3:30 AM

"NB" is "We already have at least two threads on this topic."

by Anonymousreply 3October 23, 2018 3:32 AM

I'm a Canadian and it has since been taken down. Really dumb idea. Straight people are the majority that are automatically accepted in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 4October 23, 2018 3:34 AM

Every, other flag is "Straight Pride" already.

FUCK THEM. Trolls.

Where's their Troll Pride flag?

by Anonymousreply 5October 23, 2018 3:36 AM

What's NB? NeBraska?

by Anonymousreply 6October 23, 2018 3:57 AM

murderers and oppressors are not victims.

by Anonymousreply 7October 23, 2018 3:58 AM

Let me guess which country’s idea this was? And let me guess which social media platform was used to propagate the op? L

by Anonymousreply 8October 23, 2018 4:26 AM

R5, I disagree. If straight people feel like they need a day, a week, or a month, who am I (or YOU) to question it?

I’m not trying to troll, I’m just trying to deal equally. Once everyone is dealt equally with some douche white dude will say ‘well I DIDNT GET A MONTH!’, we can then say ‘uh, yah brah, ya did.”

by Anonymousreply 9October 23, 2018 4:33 AM

Why would I care about what happens in New Brunswick?

by Anonymousreply 10October 23, 2018 4:38 AM

R9 also thinks it is high time we have white pride flags flying in official buildings.

by Anonymousreply 11October 23, 2018 4:49 AM

Who cares about some podunk town. Ignore this and let them have their desolate obscurity.

by Anonymousreply 12October 23, 2018 4:56 AM

I love the design of the straight flag. Very binary, black and white, like an old-time-y prison uniform.

Its design is a stark reminder of what the world would look like with no gay people in it. So, genius.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 23, 2018 5:06 AM

Chill out. The next tornado will take care of the place.

by Anonymousreply 14October 23, 2018 5:37 AM

anyone else?

by Anonymousreply 15October 23, 2018 12:23 PM

Man Behind "Straight Pride Flag" Mulls Legal Action After Its Removal

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16October 23, 2018 9:27 PM

Of course it's black and white. Matches their worldview.

by Anonymousreply 17October 23, 2018 9:43 PM

'We're not done': N.B. man behind straight-pride flag says fight to fly it isn't over

“There’s a lot of people angry over the flag being taken down. The same as if the gay pride people would be angry if their flag was taken down,” Glenn Bishop said in an interview Tuesday.

“We’re not done. We’re going to regroup and see what’s next.”

Bishop, a retired welder, insisted he is not the least bit anti-gay but is simply proud to be straight, and doesn’t understand why Chipman village officials removed the flag after a single day.

Bishop called the flag’s removal discrimination against straight people, and said he and his supporters will meet soon to discuss next steps. He said they could include a court battle or perhaps a challenge at the ballot box in the next municipal election.

“One or the other or possibly both,” he said.

“It costs a lot of money to go to court. It’s a possibility, if the money comes in. And there’s no money coming in.”

Chipman had flown the rainbow LGBT flag this summer, and Bishop said he had no objections to it.

But he wanted to show his own straight pride — he conceived the flag and it was made by a friend, and they went through “the proper procedures” to get it raised by the village.

He said one intention was to signal that the whole village wasn’t gay, and to represent “95 per cent of the population.”

“The straight people built this nation … Now we’re being told we can’t say we’re straight.”

He said he spoke to activists at the flagpole on Monday, and explained his position to them, and offered to sit down with a representative.

“Maybe we can fly both flags together,” he mused.

Asked about the straight flag’s design, he said the black and white stripes weren’t a response to the rainbow stripes of an LGBT flag, but just a way of livening up the background to the international symbol he says means “man and woman relationship.”

Bishop said he grew up with gays and lesbians as friends, and he sometimes defended them physically as a young man.

“I’d do it again, but I’m an old man,” he said.

“I am not anti-gay. I’m not … I have friends who are homosexual and lesbian, and I don’t have any problems with them at all.”

by Anonymousreply 18October 25, 2018 1:37 PM

It looks like an ISIS flag, hopefully a missile will hit it.

by Anonymousreply 19October 25, 2018 1:54 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!