Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why am I not ASLEEP??

This was my cocktail tonight, which isn't that unusual given my tolerance to things. Still here, my brain is still running around all over the place... with all this on board:

4 mg klonopin

900 mg neurontin

1mg melatonin

5 mg propranolol

25 mg toprol xl

25 mg Meclizine

4 mg zanaflex

I am wide awake. My doc emailed me back because this has been going on for 7 days and he said to add in the Belsomra. That doesn't do much - but I can try that too. I need something that will stop my brain - like hit the pause / stop button. He has a cancellation Wednesday so maybe I can see him for something that will put a stop to this fucking nightmare. I really haven't slept all week... maybe 1-2 hours a day.

Ironically , I am extremely tired now that i finished this post. But also hungry.

by Anonymousreply 67October 24, 2018 2:03 PM

Are you bipolar? Sounds like you might be in a manic episode.

by Anonymousreply 1October 23, 2018 2:09 AM

Come see us in here OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2October 23, 2018 2:14 AM

Why all that stuff.

All I have to do is open a book and after 2 pages zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

by Anonymousreply 3October 23, 2018 2:18 AM

Try lithium.

by Anonymousreply 4October 23, 2018 2:22 AM

This is likely a joke post, but in the off chance you are sincere, we'll try to help.

Very few humans require that many drugs to get through a day.

However, we do need more information. Do you work 9-5? How often are you checking DL? Are you watching TV (what programs)? Are you drinking coffee (how much)? Are you exercising? Meditating? How much alcohol do you drink?

Tell us your typical day and we will get you off that drug cocktail.

by Anonymousreply 5October 23, 2018 2:23 AM

I heard cyanide works wonders.

by Anonymousreply 6October 23, 2018 2:28 AM

Damn. That's one hell of a drug cocktail.

Do you try to sleep with noise? TV (on a boring program - like Science Channel, or Discorvery ID or AHC)? Or maybe classical music? I always need "noise/sound" to get to sleep. I let it play all night in case I wake up.

by Anonymousreply 7October 23, 2018 2:28 AM

For the nights that I absolutely cannot sleep, I take seroquel. You should ask your doctor about it.

by Anonymousreply 8October 23, 2018 2:31 AM

Take some Oxy’s until you stop breathing. You’ll go right into a deep state of unconsciousness.

by Anonymousreply 9October 23, 2018 2:32 AM

how about an ambien or two...works for me

by Anonymousreply 10October 23, 2018 2:35 AM

Ask your primary care provider about JB-318

by Anonymousreply 11October 23, 2018 2:39 AM

I have insomnia - but multiple nights of not sleeping more than an hour or 2 is crazy. Understand need for sleep. But that drug cocktail is either an EST or crazy. Not sure why you wouldn’t take ambien instead of all that. I try to minimize how often I take it and dosage - 5 mg and if necessary another 5 mg - but am grateful I haven’t had a period of multiple nights of no sleep in a long time. I know that can set off a manic or depressive episode.

by Anonymousreply 12October 23, 2018 2:41 AM

OP R U Michael Jackson?

by Anonymousreply 13October 23, 2018 2:43 AM

Drop an anvil on your head, OP. It works for the coyote.

by Anonymousreply 14October 23, 2018 2:44 AM

Have you tried watching a recent Terrence Malik film?

by Anonymousreply 15October 23, 2018 2:46 AM

R15 Oh yes Tree of Life puts meth heads to sleep.

by Anonymousreply 16October 23, 2018 2:56 AM

Shoundsh shenshational! I'll take two of thoshe, with a chasher!

by Anonymousreply 17October 23, 2018 2:57 AM

Call your friendly black doctor and tell him to give you propofol, fast! Tell him MJ sent ya.

by Anonymousreply 18October 23, 2018 3:02 AM

Try the Calm app, OP!

by Anonymousreply 19October 23, 2018 3:11 AM

Most of what you are taking doesn't work for sleep. You are mainly taking beta blockers amd neuropathy meds.

by Anonymousreply 20October 23, 2018 3:32 AM

Oh, and you're taking Dramamine

Stop taking all that and ask your doctor for Trazadone..

by Anonymousreply 21October 23, 2018 3:37 AM

Get you some Ambien

by Anonymousreply 22October 23, 2018 3:56 AM

My brain has always reacted to stress by putting itself(me) to sleep as a coping mechanism. I think sleep itself has therefore become my one addiction. I wish I had more natural energy.

Anyway, good luck. Your situation sounds like hell.

by Anonymousreply 23October 23, 2018 4:10 AM

I think the fear of getting dementia from taking all that shit would keep me awake.

by Anonymousreply 24October 23, 2018 4:11 AM

I second the trazodone, which is an old antidepressant that’s used in small doses as a (heavy, in my experience) sleep aid. Seroquel, an antipsychotic, can also work in small doses. Unlike klonopin, it isn’t habit-forming.

by Anonymousreply 25October 23, 2018 4:23 AM

Trazodone helped me sleep but I was exhausted for another 24 hours. Not a good sleeping aid - I could barely function next day. Ambien works fine for me.

by Anonymousreply 26October 23, 2018 4:37 AM

Are you alive OP? RIP

by Anonymousreply 27October 23, 2018 4:39 AM

r26 Trazodone doesn't have that effect on me.

by Anonymousreply 28October 23, 2018 4:54 AM

Ambien works everytime without fail.

by Anonymousreply 29October 23, 2018 5:21 AM

OP - I'll give you the benefit of the doubt you're telling the truth - if you're that far gone, you need an anti-psychotic. SEROQUEL !!! - 25mg. If that doesn't knock you out, get a buddy to hit you over the head with a hammer.

by Anonymousreply 30October 23, 2018 5:33 AM

^^forgot to mention, I was going thru some time of psychotic break and was wide awake for close to 76 hrs. I had taken a different variety of drugs. The seroquel did it.

by Anonymousreply 31October 23, 2018 5:34 AM

[quote]I think the fear of getting dementia from taking all that shit would keep me awake.

I'd be more worried about OD'ing!

by Anonymousreply 32October 23, 2018 6:24 AM

FAKE "NEWS".

by Anonymousreply 33October 23, 2018 7:10 AM

If your body is tired but your mind is racing, focus on your tired side.

Works for me, usually.

Otherwise, stay up all night, and you'll be extra-tired the next.

by Anonymousreply 34October 23, 2018 8:06 AM

op if this isnt an est, I will sat why are you on 2 beta blockers? Toprol and proponalol. I think you need a new md.

by Anonymousreply 35October 23, 2018 8:22 AM

. Op, I am your twin, I too have been virtually sleepless for a week. I have had terrible insomnia for twenty yrs. fucked up my life beyond belief.

Want to die

by Anonymousreply 36October 23, 2018 8:24 AM

Good Heavens!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37October 23, 2018 9:37 AM

Delayed Sleep Phase Disorder.

Great on the ambulance and during war time. You might naturally have 33 hrs up, 9 hours sleep, 33 hrs awake.

Misdiagnosed as bipolar mostly. It's a nordic problem for Scandinavians, Inuit mixed people. Anyone close to the pole.

There-is no cure

by Anonymousreply 38October 23, 2018 12:31 PM

R30. Yes seroquel is the last ditch for delayed sleep disorder patients. That does it!

by Anonymousreply 39October 23, 2018 12:32 PM

R30 is correct. Also Seroquel dreams answer a lot of questions and set me on an upward note for days.

by Anonymousreply 40October 23, 2018 12:39 PM

Both of those beta blockers can cause insomnia. Why are you on two and why are you taking them before bed?

by Anonymousreply 41October 23, 2018 1:07 PM

[quote]Why am I not ASLEEP??

Not enough DRUGS!!

by Anonymousreply 42October 23, 2018 1:11 PM

If I take something to help me sleep a few nights in a row, I get terrible rebound for at least a couple days when I stop. It's a stupid cycle to get caught up in. I typically manage 3-4 hours sleep a night, maybe 5 if I'm lucky. I'd rather not take drugs, though, because it fucks me up worse in the long run. I know this sounds datalounge-y, but my best sleeps are when I regularly take a walk in the evening for an hour or so. The exercise plus the air gets me sleeping. It gets me pooping, too.

by Anonymousreply 43October 23, 2018 1:18 PM

Judging by OP's absence maybe he got t sleep? Maybe his mother submitted him to Intervention and he is at the intervention.

by Anonymousreply 44October 23, 2018 1:32 PM

Seriously?

by Anonymousreply 45October 23, 2018 1:41 PM

R43 how do you function on 3-4 hours sleep. When I get that little, I’m absolutely miserable all day and feel like life is a chore. I don’t function properly and it sends me down a path of depression and makes me wish for an early death.

I’ve decided I would rather take basic doses (5mg sometimes 10) of ambien 3-4 nights week and be able to function and get some enjoyment from life than live without sleep and go though life miserable and barely able to function at work. I think it will be solved with retirement from a 7am-8pm routine but I’m not sure I will live that long and need to make today matter.

by Anonymousreply 46October 23, 2018 2:46 PM

My cocktail for when I want to get some sleep is 30mg melatonin + 4mg chlorpheniramine (an OTC sinus medication). If I have trouble, the next night I take 40mg melatonin + 8mg chlorpheniramine.

Don't take Benadryl (diphenhydramine) as it's an anticholinergic, and will interfere with REM sleep. chlorpheniramine does, too, but not as much.

by Anonymousreply 47October 23, 2018 3:00 PM

Same problem OP... I take 10mg of Ambien and 5mg of Klonopin and still stay awake. It is awful. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I never know.

by Anonymousreply 48October 23, 2018 3:11 PM

R47, antihistamines are associated with dementia.

by Anonymousreply 49October 23, 2018 3:33 PM

Everything that helps you sleep is not good for you. Ambien has been shown to shorten life, antihistamines and klonopin have been show to increase chances of dementia and the harder ones are even worse.

Personally, I’ve made the decision to take ambien despite the increased death risk because not sleeping makes me want to be dead. If I cut a few years off the end, I’m ok with that because it’s allowing me to function today. Have spent years trying every non-drug route but have accepted that I will take as needed to function when non-drug methods fail and I need sleep.

by Anonymousreply 50October 23, 2018 3:47 PM

Actually, r50, what you say about the harder drugs being even worse for risk of dementia isn't necessarily true. Every drug has a mechanism of action and different classes of drugs have different mechanisms of actions and impact parts of the body differently, which is why an antihistamine can be worse than, say, Trazodone when it comes to dementia risk.

by Anonymousreply 51October 23, 2018 4:08 PM

R40 Seroquel is like the LSD of sleep. The dreams can be unbelievable.

by Anonymousreply 52October 23, 2018 9:33 PM

Sleepiness is a side effect with seroquel and people tend to get used to it quickly so the effect wears off. It's also not good for cholesterol and weight loss.

by Anonymousreply 53October 23, 2018 9:59 PM

Ih, and seroquel also raises blood sugar.

by Anonymousreply 54October 23, 2018 10:00 PM

The problem with seroquel or the antipsychotic meds is rebound insomnia (you don't fall asleep the next night without it, so the problem starts again). Also, r38's point about delayed sleep phase (or any circadian disorder) is important because traditional sleeping treatments don't really work for that group. Melatonin, Ramelteon, and hetlioz are all that is available for people with sleep phase issues. Actually, now I think Hetlioz is only available to blind people through insurance (it's very expensive).

by Anonymousreply 55October 24, 2018 12:04 AM

R55 Great point. I sometimes get manic episodes where I cannot sleep for days. Even then I won't take seroquel.

by Anonymousreply 56October 24, 2018 12:31 AM

I'm not saying OP should take Seroquel and stay on it forever. Everything listed above has side effects, and Seroquel is probably the worst. BUT - the poor guy can't sleep. I think of Seroquel as a last resort, and it sounds like OP is at that stage.

by Anonymousreply 57October 24, 2018 2:26 AM

Op is at that stage, r57, because he's either an EST or he has a terrible doctor. Aside from the klonopin, he's taking medication that isn't for sleep and, in fact, may actually keep a person awake.

by Anonymousreply 58October 24, 2018 3:01 AM

Which one of those keep people awake?

by Anonymousreply 59October 24, 2018 3:06 AM

The beta blockers screw with melatonin production, r59.

by Anonymousreply 60October 24, 2018 3:08 AM

OP is Judy Garland.

by Anonymousreply 61October 24, 2018 3:11 AM

Belsomra is terrible! My doctor gave me some samples and it gave me terrible dreams and woke me up every two hours. I’ll stick with temazepam, thanks.

by Anonymousreply 62October 24, 2018 6:41 AM

[quote]I take 40mg melatonin

Good christ, you have to be mistaken. Most sublingual melatonin comes in 2.5, 3 or 5 mg dosages. My melatonin plus l-theanine capsules are 3mg.

You'd take 10-13 of those a night? So one bottle would last 3 days, maybe?

by Anonymousreply 63October 24, 2018 8:47 AM

OP is dead

by Anonymousreply 64October 24, 2018 9:04 AM

If you have daytime obligations, it is obviously important to sleep at night. I’m retired so I just sleep when I’m tired and don’t worry about what time it is. If I’m awake at night, I read or watch a movie or check out DL & Twitter. If I’m sleepy during the day, I take a nap. I can never sleep more than a few hours at a time anyway, but I’m used to that.

by Anonymousreply 65October 24, 2018 10:39 AM

Probably, R64. He didn't OD, he just died after all his drugs fell over and squished him.

by Anonymousreply 66October 24, 2018 11:32 AM

R63 actually, no, not a typo. You can get 5mg and 10mg tablets now. People don't understand that when it comes to melatonin, the dosing can vary greatly. Normal adult male's dose ranges from 0.5mg to 70mg per a pharmacist I work with, though checking LexiComp, it appears they think 20mg is the higher end of normal.

by Anonymousreply 67October 24, 2018 2:03 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!