Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Eldergays, tell me about James A Michener

Does anyone still read him anymore?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17October 23, 2018 4:10 AM

I never read one of his tomes (but did read John Jakes' Bastard series). I do remember when "Centennial" was turned into a big TV miniseries - one of the leads was DL fave/rage-aholic/closet case Robert Conrad. I think he played a trapper.

by Anonymousreply 1October 22, 2018 11:55 PM

I order fiction for a library, and still replace some of his more popular titles (e.g., Centennial, Hawaii, The Source) when they are lost or damaged. Some older boomers have requested them as ebook or eaudiobooks (some of the audiobooks are over 50 hours long!), and the usage is OK, but far from what it was in his bestselling heydey. He's like James Clavell, whose popular epics still have a small devoted readership, which is slowly dying out. I read him myself in the early 80s, but haven't since. I loved Centennial as a teen.

by Anonymousreply 2October 23, 2018 12:01 AM

Tales of the South Pacific was his first published work (it's a collection of short stories ordered sequentially, thus it approximates a novel) which won the Pulitzer Prize and was the basis for the musical and the movie. You could say - others have - that he started his career at the top. His subsequent works were incredibly detailed and to me, ponderous, but they were very popular at the time.

by Anonymousreply 3October 23, 2018 12:09 AM

I read Kent State years ago and thought it was pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 4October 23, 2018 12:12 AM

I read Centennial, Hawaii, the Source, Caravans, and Mexico. I have always meant to read Tales of South Pacific to see what was taken and not take for the musical adaptation and to see how his style from that work to his later works. I probably read most of them in the 90's just post-college. I enjoyed them at the time.

The past ten years or so I have read a number of Edward Rutherford's novels. Basically the same concept as Michner but European settings. If my memory serves me, I think Michner might have done a better job creating more interesting characters than Rutherford, and am tempted to read another Michner just to have a better comparison between the two authors rather than go by the memory of the last Michner I read which was probably 20 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 5October 23, 2018 12:15 AM

I skipped the beginning of Centennial when I realized the book starts with pre dinosaur history.

When people show up it is a pretty good read.

by Anonymousreply 6October 23, 2018 12:20 AM

His nephew was in the same department as me in grad school. That's all I've got.

by Anonymousreply 7October 23, 2018 12:20 AM

[quote]I skipped the beginning of Centennial when I realized the book starts with pre dinosaur history.

He did tend to go back a little more than necessary in some of his books, although the dinosaur actually does come back into play later in the book. I wonder how the Centennial mini-series as aged.

by Anonymousreply 8October 23, 2018 12:31 AM

University of Northern Colorado in Greeley (site of filming Centennial and actually originally named Centennial) built a huge-ass library building named after Michener on the promise of a donation. Then Michener turned around and gave the $$ to the Univ. of Texas! Greeley was stuck with a massive 3 storey library building and about 3,000 books (that were already sitting in their old, small library. Fun side note: The 'Indian village/meeting the teepee" scene was filmed in the lobby of the Greeley Ramada Inn....

by Anonymousreply 9October 23, 2018 1:35 AM

He once wrote me a letter, telling me (a nobody) how much he'd liked a piece of mine that appeared in The Atlantic. So I will always love James A. Michener.

by Anonymousreply 10October 23, 2018 1:47 AM

I read several of his books in the 1970s, but felt sheepish about it because he was ridiculed. However, I read ‘Chesapeake’ a few years ago, and it was really good.

by Anonymousreply 11October 23, 2018 1:49 AM

Hawaii was good, but by the time he got to Texas, he was an unbearable hack.

by Anonymousreply 12October 23, 2018 2:33 AM

His nonfiction has always been better than his fiction because he is a man with little or no imagination.

by Anonymousreply 13October 23, 2018 2:34 AM

I tried but never could get past a few pages. Very pedestrian.

by Anonymousreply 14October 23, 2018 2:40 AM

I've read Tales of the South Pacific a few times. It's worth reading, especially if you want to know more about the war in the Pacific. The musical was a tiny part of it and the original story did not have a happy ending.

A long time ago I was backpacking around and stopped in Hawaii (Waikiki). Met several other backpackers who were carrying the novel Hawaii. It was quite a hefty book to carry but they were interested in the history of the place they were visiting.

by Anonymousreply 15October 23, 2018 3:44 AM

Space (about the space program) was pretty good, and was made into a TV miniseries. His book Chesapeake was a historical novel about the area of Virginia and Maryland along the Chesapeake Bay, from 1583 when the Spanish were exploring the area, up until the Watergate era; and I remember when he was in Virginia doing research for the novel.

by Anonymousreply 16October 23, 2018 4:06 AM

His research staff wrote the same damned book ten times, just changing the names.

by Anonymousreply 17October 23, 2018 4:10 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!