Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Absolutely Fabulous

I'm kind of upset Jennifer Saunders officially ended the series. I still think it could've run for another 2 or 3 series.

by Anonymousreply 50October 24, 2018 11:15 AM

Jesus Christ. It stopped being funny 500 series ago. The original has even aged terribly.

by Anonymousreply 1October 22, 2018 8:39 PM

Red Dwarf is younger by 4 years and is still going. They're airing Series 13 next year.

by Anonymousreply 2October 22, 2018 8:41 PM

The last few seasons were total shit.

by Anonymousreply 3October 22, 2018 8:42 PM

Loved it in the early 90s. But the reboots / movies have failed. And agree that even the originals aren’t as funny. Not sure why. Too over the top - which I know was the point. Maybe the fact that the niche narcissism it mocked has now become mainstream. Every millennial with an Instagram is now Edie and Patsy emphasizing wealth, brands, places and virtue-signaling.

by Anonymousreply 4October 22, 2018 9:00 PM

The original was brilliant. The reboots and the movie sucked. Sometimes you just gotta quit while you're ahead.

by Anonymousreply 5October 22, 2018 9:02 PM

Yeah, agreed.

The Kardashians killed the humor of it. They take themselves seriously and exist to do nothing, much as Pats and Eddie did back in the day.

The recent shows and movie were to fluff the retirement accounts of all involved.

by Anonymousreply 6October 22, 2018 9:04 PM

I rewatched the series a couple months ago on netflix and still enjoyed even the later episodes. I suppose for frustrating licensing reasons they cut "Wheel's on Fire" from the first several seasons intros and Bowie's "Ziggy" from the ending. One later season Debbie Harry sang "Wheels on Fire" for the intro. I wish she had done a full length version, she was terrific.

I'd have been fine with another series or two. Saffy might be a bit too old to carry on though.

by Anonymousreply 7October 22, 2018 9:09 PM

What more can be said?

by Anonymousreply 8October 22, 2018 9:11 PM

I think they could go on forever. Just because people age doesn't mean they change. I think that would be the funny and easy part to write. They always make me happy.

by Anonymousreply 9October 22, 2018 9:16 PM

Maybe they can move into assisted living

by Anonymousreply 10October 22, 2018 9:17 PM

No. Enough is enough. They’re too old. June Whitfield will be dead soon. Julia Sawahla is in her 50s! The BBC doesn’t even have a studio anymore.

by Anonymousreply 11October 22, 2018 9:24 PM

R2 WTF? Red Dwarf is way older than Ab Fab (and was never funny).

by Anonymousreply 12October 22, 2018 9:29 PM

Some here are very sour indeed to not find everyone on the show hilarious. A true ensemble cast. Even the bloopers are hysterical.

by Anonymousreply 13October 22, 2018 9:44 PM

I can't approve of making fun of chronic alcoholics.

Every chav aspires to be Patsy Stone now

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14October 22, 2018 9:50 PM

R14 I'm not sure you know what an actual 'chav' is.

by Anonymousreply 15October 22, 2018 10:13 PM

The show holds a special place in the 90s for me - a realistic answer to “The Two Mrs. Grenvelles”

by Anonymousreply 16October 22, 2018 10:23 PM

If she stopped at Series 4 and the Gay Special, it would have been great. She should have done Mirrorball instead of Series 5.

by Anonymousreply 17October 22, 2018 10:26 PM

[quote] If she stopped at Series 4 and the Gay Special

Those were the worst and ruined the show’s legacy. Put down the pipe. She ruined the show’s best joke: Serge. The first revival never should have happened. They were depressing, especially series 4.

by Anonymousreply 18October 22, 2018 10:42 PM

R15, they are indeed chavs.

by Anonymousreply 19October 22, 2018 10:43 PM

Or a gated lifestyle community for active adults 55 and over, r10.

by Anonymousreply 20October 22, 2018 11:11 PM

They should do it as an animated series. Then they would not have to worry about being age appropriate.

by Anonymousreply 21October 22, 2018 11:25 PM

I agree she lost her touch but the first 3 seasons and The Last Shout were terrific. Season 4 has lots of good moments but overall not as well done. I do love "Small Opening" though!

by Anonymousreply 22October 22, 2018 11:27 PM

"They should do it as an animated series."

A CARTOOON?!!!

by Anonymousreply 23October 22, 2018 11:29 PM

The Last Shout was great.

But it was supposed to be

THE LAST FUCKING SHOUT!

by Anonymousreply 24October 23, 2018 12:37 AM

[quote] —And hello Sabina....Naked Snake Charmer!

Let me refresh your memory.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25October 23, 2018 12:47 AM

R25 I love that whole scene. LOVE. IT.

by Anonymousreply 26October 23, 2018 1:29 AM

R24: They all came back together for Mirrorball and Saunders said fuck it, let's just do Series 4. I wish she would have done Mirrorball cause it looked pretty damn good, but I do enjoy Series 4 and Gay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27October 23, 2018 1:43 AM

The worst episode of Ab Fab is better than 99% of anything else on TV. The movie was funny. I will appreciate anything Ab Fab-related that Jennifer Saunders does.

by Anonymousreply 28October 23, 2018 1:47 AM

Jennifer Saunders lost her funny bone after the 90s. Money went to her head line most of the people who came out of the alternative comedy circuit - the exception being people like Tracey Ullman.

by Anonymousreply 29October 23, 2018 1:48 AM

[quote] The worst episode of Ab Fab is better than 99% of anything else on TV.

Not by a long shot.

by Anonymousreply 30October 23, 2018 1:49 AM

This came to the States on Comedy Central and it was so different and so good. Seasons 1, 2 & 3 were my favorites. Season 2’s Edina, with the ratty hair and awful clothing was, to me, the funniest. Poor, Death, Hospital were great episodes, and Morocco. It looked like Saunders had a nose job at some point. Season 3 was another good season. The last few seasons weren’t as funny, and felt phoned in. I should try watching them again. I saw the AbFab film on the plane, and the gags seemed recycled, and thin. I want to enjoy the newer versions of AbFab, but don’t. I know some of you love it all and I’m glad you do. Some of the writing in the early episodes is really good, really funny and sharp.

by Anonymousreply 31October 23, 2018 2:04 AM

Is, too. Is not. Is, too. Is not. Is, too. Is not. Is, too. Is not. Is, too. Is not. Is, too. Is not. Is, too. Is not. Is, too. Is not. Is, too. Is not. Is, too. Is not. Is, too. Is not. Is, too. Is not. Is, too. Is not. Is, too. Is not. Is, too. Is not. Is, too. Is not. Is, too. Is not. Is, too. Is not. Is, too. Is not. Is, too. Is not. Is, too. Is not. Is, too. Is not. Is, too. Is not. Is, too. Is not. Is, too. Is not. Is, too. Is not. Is, too. Is not. Is, too. Is not. Is, too. Is not. Is, too. Is not. Is, too. Is not. Is, too. Is not. Is, too. Is not. Is, too. Is not. Is, too. Is not. Is, too. Is not. Is, too. Is not. Is, too. Is not. Is, too. Is not. Is, too. Is not. Is, too. Is not. Is, too. Is not. Is, too. Is not. Is, too. Is not. Is, too. Is not. Is, too. Is not. Is, too. Is not. Is, too. Is not. Is, too. Is not. Is, too. Is not. Is, too. Is not. Is, too. Is not. Is, too. Is not. Is, too. Is not. Is, too. Is not. Is, too. Is not. Is, too. Is not. Is, too. Is not. Is, too. Is not. Is, too. Is not. Is, too. Is not. Is, too. Is not. Is, too. Is not. Is, too. Is not, etc.

by Anonymousreply 32October 23, 2018 2:07 AM

R32 You put in that much time and effort for that?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33October 23, 2018 2:08 AM

R32 is off her meds.

by Anonymousreply 34October 23, 2018 2:12 AM

R31 I remember at the time (early 90s) Saunders saying she did not want to do this character for the rest of her life.

by Anonymousreply 35October 23, 2018 2:59 AM

Jennifer was so pretentious and humorless the last time I saw her on Graham Norton. She's been that way in every interview in recent years. Joanna is still fun though.

by Anonymousreply 36October 23, 2018 3:38 AM

It was a bummer to realize that Jen is a total cunt and hasn't been particularly nice to Joanna over the years.

by Anonymousreply 37October 23, 2018 5:10 PM

R32 is practicing just in case someone needs a typist for "The Shining".

by Anonymousreply 38October 23, 2018 5:17 PM

R37: Citations please.

by Anonymousreply 39October 23, 2018 8:22 PM

[quote]Red Dwarf is younger by 4 years and is still going.

So what? The fact that other shows have had more seasons/series doesn't mean AbFab's not played out.

by Anonymousreply 40October 23, 2018 8:32 PM

How many shoes have produced lines so memorable that you simply start one, anywhere- and random strangers will complete them.

“Inside of me is a thin person struggling to get out” “Madame?”

by Anonymousreply 41October 23, 2018 9:26 PM

Very few shows were so incredibly funny for three years, and then incredibly horrible for the remainder of their never-ending life.

But those three years were so so good, all is forgiven.

by Anonymousreply 42October 23, 2018 9:30 PM

[quote] Inside of me is a thin person struggling to get out

Just the one, dear?

by Anonymousreply 43October 23, 2018 9:37 PM

"How many shoes have produced lines so memorable that you simply start one, anywhere- and random strangers will complete them. "

Jimmy Choo started out using undocument cobbler elves.

by Anonymousreply 44October 23, 2018 9:43 PM

I'd have said the show had run out of mileage after series 4 and 5, which had lost some of the spirit of the show and turned into a lazy, mean spirited gag reel.

However, series 6 recaptured a lot of the fun of the early series and showed they could still do it if they actually tried, so I agree with the OP that there probably is some more mileage. I doubt it will ever happen though.

by Anonymousreply 45October 23, 2018 10:13 PM

[quote] “Inside of me is a thin person struggling to get out” “Madame?”

And that isn’t the line.

by Anonymousreply 46October 23, 2018 10:35 PM

I had/still have a huge crush on Julia. I really wish they had made Saffy a lesbian. So many more jokes to be had. I never understood what they were trying to do with the African husband/baby thing. It just really fell flat for me.

by Anonymousreply 47October 24, 2018 2:50 AM

R47, Saffie was the real flower child while her mother was just a stunted groupie.

I love the reactions to her adventures - Morocco, cider, marriage, prison, baby...

by Anonymousreply 48October 24, 2018 3:21 AM

Wow..you sour miserable queens have to piss on everything. Its the main reason why jaded queens opinions mean so little.

by Anonymousreply 49October 24, 2018 5:50 AM

Okay R49... or.. maybe your inability to understand punctuation, and, actually, the English language, means that your opinions might mean so little....

by Anonymousreply 50October 24, 2018 11:15 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!