Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Can furniture be haunted?

I have three pieces of furniture my 5 cats will not sit on. Ever. Two upholstered benches and a two-seater sofa (I actually purchased these items FOR them, at a sale at a retirement community my friend worked at).

They will lie on top of the fridge, on top of the stove, on my bed, on the floor, on the dining room table- but will not touch these comfy pieces.

I've cleaned them with foamy upholstery cleaner, even though they were clean when I bought them. Then I tried draping them with rugs and sofa covers. No luck.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30October 23, 2018 12:08 PM

No, it can't.

by Anonymousreply 1October 22, 2018 7:04 PM

what about the stuffing inside the sofa? Maybe someone died on there and was laying on it for days and weeks.

by Anonymousreply 2October 22, 2018 7:06 PM

They probably came with an attached smell that cannot be detected by the human nose. But the cats could. Perhaps another cat they smell.

by Anonymousreply 3October 22, 2018 7:10 PM

That sofa reminds me of the Andrew Borden death sofa, OP (esp. with the flowered wallpaper behind it). I wouldn't sit on it either.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 22, 2018 7:10 PM

Your cats know that shit is FUG and that's why they won't get near it.

by Anonymousreply 5October 22, 2018 7:22 PM

I would put some soft, cuddly throws over the furniture and see if that attracts them. I do think furniture can be haunted but I doubt if that's the reason your cats aren't interested in it. My cats love lying on comforters and quilts.

by Anonymousreply 6October 22, 2018 7:33 PM

R5 that's the most data lounge response ever

by Anonymousreply 7October 22, 2018 7:35 PM

In all honesty, I think r3 is right. They probably smell something that you don't. Remember animals noses are sharper than ours. On a related note, I wish that I believed in the supernatural, Ive always wanted to but I have never had any supernatural experiences.

by Anonymousreply 8October 22, 2018 7:38 PM

OP, stuff fish heads and chicken bones in the sofa cracks. Cats love that! You won't be able to keep them off it!

by Anonymousreply 9October 22, 2018 7:43 PM

Yes, ingrained odours OP cannot smell are the culprit. I live with all antiques, only new pieces are mattresses and a small sofa. I do not believe objects can be haunted. My dogs and my exes dogs never seemed put off by old things, but I have always had old frames reupholstered.

by Anonymousreply 10October 22, 2018 7:44 PM

This was the closest I could think of with regards to horror movies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11October 22, 2018 7:49 PM

R4 I had the same reaction! Lol

by Anonymousreply 12October 22, 2018 7:50 PM

Was it the bed all along?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 22, 2018 7:50 PM

Connie and Raymond Marble would like a word.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14October 22, 2018 7:54 PM

Lol. You jump straight to haunted. No furniture can’t be haunted but cats can. Get rid of the haunted cats and relax on you newish furniture.

by Anonymousreply 15October 22, 2018 7:54 PM

I wouldn't go so far as to say furniture can be haunted (although I believe in hauntings), but I think it can carry some very negative vibes from previous owners. I own plenty of antiques, but I've always been pretty wary of buying them. And I absolutely refuse to wear used clothes, unless the previous owner was my brother or my ex-BF. I had a vintage 'great coat' years ago, and I always felt uncomfortable wearing it. I finally just gave it away. There have been a few times that I've come across antique pieces of furniture that looked terrific, but something deep inside me creeped me out, and I would realize I could never actually be comfortable using them. Yes, I believe in the supernatural, even though I know DL will think I'm idiotic: I'm okay with that.

by Anonymousreply 16October 22, 2018 11:45 PM

yes, but if it was they would probably be hissing at it and they wouldn't go near it.

by Anonymousreply 17October 22, 2018 11:52 PM

My ex bought a beautiful vintage cherry bedroom set at an estate sale. That night, after he set it up, he woke up to find a young woman with long blonde hair standing at the end of the bed. She wasn't looking at him, she was looking at the bedroom set and then the image faded. He never saw her again, so, yeah, furniture can be haunted for a while.

by Anonymousreply 18October 23, 2018 2:43 AM

Maybe they object to the dying old person stank that lingers in the furniture. You didn't think of that, did you, OP? Do you have the toxo?

by Anonymousreply 19October 23, 2018 2:51 AM

Spritz it with some strong catnip tea.

by Anonymousreply 20October 23, 2018 3:09 AM

I had a friend who’s sofa was inhabitated by a roast.

by Anonymousreply 21October 23, 2018 3:13 AM

Op, Ewwwww! The reason the cats stay away from the old furnishings is because Ghost Cats have already peed on the furnishings.

Ewwwww!

by Anonymousreply 22October 23, 2018 3:17 AM

Probably the cleaners keep them off.

Pretty couch...

by Anonymousreply 23October 23, 2018 3:19 AM

Rump roast R21 or butt end?

by Anonymousreply 24October 23, 2018 3:21 AM

Based on the ghastly, hideous appearance of that couch, this is probably just a case of the cat having good taste.

by Anonymousreply 25October 23, 2018 3:24 AM

They’re probably mistaking the old people urine absorbed by the stuffing as another animal marking that territory.

by Anonymousreply 26October 23, 2018 3:25 AM

I like the couch but it might be haunted.

by Anonymousreply 27October 23, 2018 3:36 AM

This is why you have dogs not cats.

by Anonymousreply 28October 23, 2018 3:36 AM

if it's haunted dogs would react the same way,.

by Anonymousreply 29October 23, 2018 11:42 AM

You lost me at 5 cats, OP.

by Anonymousreply 30October 23, 2018 12:08 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!